04-29-2009, 02:35 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_antonio_mcdyess.jpg

Antonio McDyess | F - C
Born: Sep 7, 1974
Height: 6-9 / 2,06
Weight: 245 lbs. / 111,1 kg.
College: Alabama
Years Pro: 12

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/antonio_mcdyess/index.html)

04-29-2009, 02:37 AM
part of me prefers him over wallace. wallace has the height and length advantage though.

Ditty
04-29-2009, 02:37 AM
denver mcdyess

i would want him then

timvp
04-29-2009, 02:58 AM
He had a fantastic rebounding season. Also played well in the playoffs. To preserve the 2010 plan, I'd be happy with a one-year offer at near the MLE for him.

loveforthegame
04-29-2009, 10:26 AM
I'd prefer him over Wallace actually.

Plays tough defense and gobbles up the rebounds. He doesn't have the 3 point shot but he's got a sweet mid range game.

JoshO501
04-29-2009, 10:55 AM
I'd prefer him over Wallace actually.

Plays tough defense and gobbles up the rebounds. He doesn't have the 3 point shot but he's got a sweet mid range game.

so would I, I love the way McDyess plays.

EricB
04-29-2009, 02:09 PM
He had a fantastic rebounding season. Also played well in the playoffs. To preserve the 2010 plan, I'd be happy with a one-year offer at near the MLE for him.

And a bigman in the mold pop likes. Also a big you can leave on the court against Dallas :spin

04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
mcdyess doesn't have the shotblocking ability wallace has. a duncan-wallace frontcourt would practically shut down the paint. mcdyess has more reliable offense but the spurs need to improve the defense. not to say he isn't an above average defender, just that wallace has the extra element of shotblocking and weak side help. spurs' defense is slipping, this will be a bigger priority.

Morg1411
04-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Get him!!!

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Ditto.

He's a 'Spurs quality' player. I think the knock on him a few years ago was his injury, but he seems to be pretty healthy these days.

Yuushi12
05-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Ditto.

He's a 'Spurs quality' player. I think the knock on him a few years ago was his injury, but he seems to be pretty healthy these days.

+1 i dont know but i have the feeling that he's destined to be a spur

Libri
05-04-2009, 02:30 PM
I wanted him to sign with the Spurs when he got cut. I like what he brings as a veteran.

jason1301
05-04-2009, 05:15 PM
if we can sign him I will sh1t my pants, and yes I like him over Sheed.

Think about it, with him we beat the mavs!

timtonymanu
05-05-2009, 05:23 AM
Bring in Dice! I wanna see him get a ring and he will be better than Kurt Thomas.

Chieflion
05-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Kurt Thomas and McDyess can win a ring together.

urunobili
05-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Dice> Sheed on the Spurs... he'd be an upgrade over Thomas...

TheSpursFNRule
05-05-2009, 05:16 PM
This would get us nowhere...why don't more people realize this? What the hell makes you think Antonio McDyess will get us past the Lakers?

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2009, 10:15 PM
The obvious top MLE target now.

1 Parker
2 Ginobili
3 Jefferson
4 Duncan
5 McDyess

That's a solid starting lineup. Plenty of scoring and should be very good on the boards. Round out the playoff rotation with Hill, Mason, Bowen (should be back), and a serviceable big (maybe Radoslav).

benefactor
06-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Probably near the top of my wish list too...and probably more attainable than Sheed. Timvp is right. We need to be on his doorstep on July 1st.

Blackjack
06-23-2009, 10:40 PM
If the Spurs actually were to use the MLE on a player I wouldn't mind McDyess at all, but I'd hope they'd look to Wallace first.

Wallace on a 1 to 2yr. MLE is a lot more appealing to me because of the way he'd spread the floor for Tim and keep the lane more open for Parker, Jeff, and Ginobili. His ability to play the bigger front line players in the league (i.e. Yao, Shaq, Howard, etc.) is something this team could surely use with the departure of Thomas, and Duncan the only guy left capable.

Wallace might be a moot point, since I seem to remember hearing something about him wanting 8M, but I also remember him expressing a desire to play in S.A., so maybe he'd change his tune.(Probably wishful thinking, though)

I'd definitely be down with Dyess on the Spurs, he'd just be my second option.

Chieflion
06-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Now we really need McDyess.

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2009, 10:47 PM
How does Wallace spread the floor that much more than McDyess? Plus you also have to factor in that Wallace shot a full 10% less than McDyess from the field last season and averaged 2.5 less boards a game than McDyess. McDyess' 20 foot J will help spread the floor as much as Wallace hanging around the perimeter for most of the game. Wallace also seems to fall in love with jacking up 3s. If it's Wallace or nobody, perhaps, but between the two you go with McDyess.

Blackjack
06-23-2009, 11:46 PM
How does Wallace spread the floor that much more than McDyess? Plus you also have to factor in that Wallace shot a full 10% less than McDyess from the field last season and averaged 2.5 less boards a game than McDyess. McDyess' 20 foot J will help spread the floor as much as Wallace hanging around the perimeter for most of the game. Wallace also seems to fall in love with jacking up 3s. If it's Wallace or nobody, perhaps, but between the two you go with McDyess.

You're not going to get me to hate on Dyess but to me, Wallace would fill more needs.

Yes, Dyess is a hell of a mid-range shooter and Wallace's percentages from 3 can be less than stellar, but he's a threat from 3 that opposing teams do respect.

If you've got Dyess at the elbow and Tim being used more and more in that same area (Pops tactic to preserve Tim's body) the floor's spacing wouldn't be all that great. Tim and Dyess' area of operation could very well be pretty similar going forward and I don't think that would leave the spacing as conducive to them or their slashers.

Dyess is the more dependable/workman-type player but Wallace's ability to extend out to 3, defend legit size, and overall basketball IQ finds me coveting him a bit more.

Just my opinion, though

Bruno
07-01-2009, 08:02 AM
http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/15830179?source=rss_blogs_NBA

The Spurs also are considering Antonio McDyess.

It looks like Spurs are after the right players with Sheed and Dice.

DBMethos
07-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Oddly quiet on the Dice front, don't you think?

ElNono
07-01-2009, 02:38 PM

I was just going to say that. Very Spurs like.

Muser
07-01-2009, 02:39 PM
So maybe the Sheed stuff is all smokescreen? Hmm, exciting times.

Ace9
07-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I would prefer 'Sheed to Dice though. But either would make me happy. :)

Obstructed_View
07-01-2009, 02:46 PM
I was just going to say that. Very Spurs like.

I'm hopin'.

AFBlue
07-01-2009, 05:13 PM

:tu

crc21209
07-01-2009, 05:15 PM
:tu

Wouldnt it be some shit if the Spurs landed both Sheed and Dice. :lol.

Sheed with the MLE and Dice with the LLE. The league would shit themselves! :lol

Muser
07-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Wouldnt it be some shit if the Spurs landed both Sheed and Dice. :lol.

Sheed with the MLE and Dice with the LLE. The league would shit themselves! :lol

Dice for the LLE? :lol

But if somehow he would take that, damn that'd be full beast mode.

crc21209
07-01-2009, 05:17 PM

Hey, we can dream right? :lol

Mavs<Spurs
07-01-2009, 05:19 PM
either would be nice.
I would prefer Rasheed though.

Both is too much for me to believe is realistic.

:rollin

AFBlue
07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Hey, we can dream right? :lol

I think the Jefferson trade and Blair to the Spurs at #37 has raised some people's expectations a little TOO high :lol

I'd honestly be happy with either, then fill in the roster with the aformentioned Blair and younger talent. Between Duncan, Dice/Sheed, Blair, Bonner, and hopefully Mahinmi the Spurs shouldn't need both.

And if they need another guy, there's always trade options.

Pistons < Spurs
07-01-2009, 09:49 PM
The Pistons also would like to find a way to re-sign Antonio McDyess, an unrestricted free agent. McDyess' agent said Wednesday the Pistons remain on his short list.

"He's digesting it all right now," Andy Miller said. "The bulk of teams that have called understand the criteria we've outlined. We have our group and now it's up to Antonio to survey the situation and try to put them in some kind of order."

Detroit, Houston, Cleveland, San Antonio and Boston are believed to be among McDyess' suitors. McDyess, 35, is expected to get an offer starting around the mid-level exception ($5.6 million).

When asked if the firing of Michael Curry helped put the Pistons back on McDyess' radar, Miller said, "I think he would have considered them anyway, regardless, but that certainly didn't hurt."

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090701/SPORTS0102/907010390/1127/sports0102/Pistons-reach-deals-with-Ben-Gordon--Charlie-Villanueva

Spurtacus
07-01-2009, 10:00 PM

If he wants to win a championship then we can give him the LLE and star role in HEB commercials.

timvp
07-02-2009, 01:00 AM
I don't like it that the Pistons are after McDyess. He probably stays in Detroit if the money is close, unfortunately.

Although I can't blame the Pistons. McDyess should be a damn solid player for the next year or two.

crc21209
07-02-2009, 02:53 AM
I don't like it that the Pistons are after McDyess. He probably stays in Detroit if the money is close, unfortunately.

Although I can't blame the Pistons. McDyess should be a damn solid player for the next year or two.

That is why I think the Sheed sweepstakes is even higher than what people might think it is. Because I have a feeling McDyess is staying in Detroit as well. SHEED OR BUST!

buttsR4rebounding
07-02-2009, 03:30 AM

Actually, if you look at the teams that are listed it looks pretty good for the Spurs if they want to go get him.

Detroit--They don't have his Bird rights because he was traded and came back last year. If the reported numbers on Gordon and Villenueva are correct they don't have anything but the vet minimum to offer.

Houston--If they have offered Gortat the entire MLE they only have the LLE or vet minimum to offer.

Cleveland--They are reportedly going after Ariza hard now w/ their MLE. Once again only LLE or vet minimum left.

Boston--We are only interested in Dice it seems if we don't Wallace. It appears if we don't get him it will be Boston, so once again only LLE or vet minimum left.

If the Spurs offer Dice the whole MLE or even most of it he may be had.

mountainballer
07-02-2009, 05:30 AM
Detroit--They don't have his Bird rights because he was traded and came back last year. If the reported numbers on Gordon and Villenueva are correct they don't have anything but the vet minimum to offer.

we don't know how much cap space is left as long as we don't know how the contracts of Gordon and Villanueva are structured.
if they got contracts based on the allowed rise, the starting salary of Gordons contract is 9.4 million and Villanuevas is 6.0.
(hope my numbers are right)
after they waived Fab they are at 37.3M, that's 21.4M below the cap. minus 15.4 for Gordon and Villanueva, minus 1.4 for Daye, so there could be as much as 4.6 millions left they could offer McDyess.
(maybe I forgot some more cap holds, don't know all the details)
however, a 2 years 9 million offer for sure will be something Dyess will consider. maybe they even add a 3rd year, kind of compensation for the lost money when he came back to Detroit for the minimum during the last season.

edit: just read Villanueva might have got 40 millions. this means his starting salary would be about 6.8 million. this would reduce the cap space for McDyess to 3.8 million. still not bad, if he get's a 3 years contract, it still would be 12 million.

Pistons < Spurs
07-02-2009, 07:23 AM
we don't know how much cap space is left as long as we don't know how the contracts of Gordon and Villanueva are structured.
if they got contracts based on the allowed rise, the starting salary of Gordons contract is 9.4 million and Villanuevas is 6.0.
(hope my numbers are right)
after they waived Fab they are at 37.3M, that's 21.4M below the cap. minus 15.4 for Gordon and Villanueva, minus 1.4 for Daye, so there could be as much as 4.6 millions left they could offer McDyess.
(maybe I forgot some more cap holds, don't know all the details)
however, a 2 years 9 million offer for sure will be something Dyess will consider. maybe they even add a 3rd year, kind of compensation for the lost money when he came back to Detroit for the minimum during the last season.

edit: just read Villanueva might have got 40 millions. this means his starting salary would be about 6.8 million. this would reduce the cap space for McDyess to 3.8 million. still not bad, if he get's a 3 years contract, it still would be 12 million.

You pretty much got it. We're hearing an estimate of 4.4 Million available. That figure may change depending on the exact contract for our 2 signings and the official word on the cap.

Personally, I hope you guys get him. Give him a chance to win a ring. He'd be splitting minutes w/ Kwame for us ... a team in transition that should be more focused on grooming some of our youth. Dice doesn't really fit in at this juncture other than being the kind of professional Joe wants on the team.

picnroll
07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
If McDyess stays with the Pistons it means getting a ring isn't a motivating factor.

DBMethos
07-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Get this man in silver and black, now!!!

mattyc
07-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Get Dice!

timvp
07-02-2009, 07:21 PM
If the Spurs are quiet on the Rasheed front, I'm assuming they think that Pop won't live with Rasheed's tantrums. If that is the case, Dice better be next on the list.

mattyc
07-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Agreed. Rasheed is arguably the better player, but I always doubted his capacity to fit in with a guy like Pop, and play alongside a guy like Duncan. Whilst he's had some great years, I think Dice is more likely to be the type of guy that will gel alongside TD and play a better mentor to Blair, Mahinmi and uh....all our other bigs....like Finley..

Vic Petro
07-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Dice is the man we are going to get, and he'll be a fantastic fit. If it does turn out that way, hopefully we'll be able to add one additional, cheaper big that can protect the rim a little bit.

circ
07-02-2009, 07:34 PM
If the Spurs are quiet on the Rasheed front, I'm assuming they think that Pop won't live with Rasheed's tantrums. If that is the case, Dice better be next on the list.

wow that's a little disheartening if 'sheed is waiting to hear from the spurs for a better offer, but Pops not going to make the effort for someone like 'sheed.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2009, 10:10 PM
I've been arguing for 2 months that Dice is the better fit for us, and I stand by my argument. He has a fantastic mid-range jumper (in top 10 most accurate in the league last season - IIRC he was 5th or 6th), is great on the boards, a solid defender who would thrive in our system, and no headcase factor - in fact, the opposite, a great team guy who understand sacrifice for the greater good.

Parker/Hill/JackMack
Mason/Manu/Finley
RJ/Hairston/Gist
Dice/Bonner/Blair
TD/Mahinmi

I'll go to war with that any day. Great mix of youth and vets, and mix-and-match for just about any situation.

I'd offer him 10mil/2yrs or 12mil/3yrs and get him in here.

EricB
07-02-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm with ya Ruff, IF, Sheed turns em down :)

Vic Petro
07-02-2009, 10:21 PM

Yes.

MarHill
07-02-2009, 10:21 PM
I've been arguing for 2 months that Dice is the better fit for us, and I stand by my argument. He has a fantastic mid-range jumper (in top 10 most accurate in the league last season - IIRC he was 5th or 6th), is great on the boards, a solid defender who would thrive in our system, and no headcase factor - in fact, the opposite, a great team guy who understand sacrifice for the greater good.

Parker/Hill/JackMack
Mason/Manu/
RJ/Hairston/Finley
Dice/Bonner/Blair
TD/Mahinmi

I'll go to war with that any day. Great mix of youth and vets, and mix-and-match for just about any situation.

I'm with you Ruff too!! :toast

I'm hoping the Spurs get McDyess more and more now!!

FvckMavs
07-02-2009, 10:24 PM

Parker/Hill/JackMack
Mason/Manu/
RJ/Hairston/Finley
Dice/Bonner/Blair
TD/Mahinmi

My take:

Parker/Hill/JackMack
Mason/Manu/Finley
RJ/Hairston/Gist(or Bowen)
Dice/Bonner/Blair
TD/Mahinmi/Rasho

coyotes_geek
07-02-2009, 10:24 PM
The way things are going, Dyess is probably a full mle guy too.

MarHill
07-02-2009, 10:25 PM
My take:

Parker/Hill/JackMack
Mason/Manu/Finley
RJ/Hairston/Gist(or Bowen)
Dice/Bonner/Blair
TD/Mahinmi/Rasho

Thanks for adding Rasho!!!

He can still be effective...he is 7 ft!!!

urunobili
07-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Dice > Sheed

ElNono
07-02-2009, 10:27 PM
The way things are going, Dyess is probably a full mle guy too.

This might play in our favor. After commiting to CV and BG, Detroit might not have enough cash.

coyotes_geek
07-02-2009, 10:34 PM
This might play in our favor. After commiting to CV and BG, Detroit might not have enough cash.

I don't think Dyess wants to hang around Detroit anymore anyways, but the Pistons being priced out certainly doesn't hurt.

timvp
07-02-2009, 10:36 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say Dice stays in Pistons. They basically resurrected his career and it sounds like they want him back. He's pretty damn loyal ... as we saw last year.

Blackjack
07-02-2009, 11:00 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say Dice stays in Pistons. They basically resurrected his career and it sounds like they want him back. He's pretty damn loyal ... as we saw last year.

Loyal and superstitious.

I don't think you can understate what it means for 'Dyess to have finally had a good stretch of health, and for it to have been in Detroit.

The guy's comfortable, and more importantly healthy, and I think it'd have to take something pretty significant for him to risk leaving that situation.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Dice > Sheed

At this point in their careers, I think so.

Exactly. On page 2 of this thread someone worked out that they have 3.8mil. If so, we can offer more.

Really? I read something a week ago that suggested he was disappointed by the way things turned out last year - that he took a cheap buyout to go back to Detroit, and then they flopped. Can't remember where I read it and thus can't confirm the veracity of the source.

10mil/2yrs or 12mil/3yrs ought to get it done I'd think. I'd be willing to go MLE for 2 yrs if necessary, maybe even MLE for 3 yrs although that's a stretch.

baseline bum
07-02-2009, 11:47 PM

Shit. Detroit looks to have $4.56 million to throw at Dice in addition to signing Gordon, Villenueva, and Austin Daye. :pctoss

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Shit. Detroit looks to have $4.56 million to throw at Dice in addition to signing Gordon, Villenueva, and Austin Daye. :pctoss

That's okay, so we throw a bit more at him (10/2, 13.8/3) and promise him the starter's role and a shot at a ring... he sure as hell ain't got one with Detroit right now. That Pistons roster looks in dissarray to me.

HarlemHeat37
07-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Does Detroit even want McDyess though?..It's one thing that he's loyal to them..they should return the favor and tell him to look elsewhere, somewhere where he could win a ring..at least IMO..

Pistons < Spurs
07-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Does Detroit even want McDyess though?..It's one thing that he's loyal to them..they should return the favor and tell him to look elsewhere, somewhere where he could win a ring..at least IMO..

Yes they want him.

Dumars is on the verge of hiring his sixth head coach since he was hired in 2000.

"The one thing you know about Joe; he's committed to winning," said Dutt, who also is a consultant to Avery Johnson, the odds-on favorite to be named the Pistons' next head coach. "That's an important thing to free agents."

So is money, which may become an issue for Detroit as it tries to add at least one more player to its roster via free agency.

While Antonio McDyess appears to be their top choice, the Pistons will have $3-4 million to spend on McDyess once the official salary cap figures are released next week. Teams such as Boston, Cleveland, Houston and San Antonio also are interested and likely will offer McDyess more money.

"Antonio is in no hurry to make a decision," said Miller, his agent. "Of course he wants to see how the coaching search turns out in Detroit. But Antonio, he knows what's there in Detroit. At this point, he's just going to take his time and look at all his options and see what's best for him and his family."

If McDyess doesn't return, look for Detroit to focus more on Bass, who played the past two seasons for the Dallas Mavericks. In addition to Detroit, Orlando and New Orleans have shown interest in the former LSU star.

Bass, 24, is expected to receive an offer that will eat up most or all of a team's mid-level exception.

If Detroit can't land him, it will look at other free agent options as well as the big men on its summer league team, which begins play next week.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2009/07/no_coach_no_problem_for_piston.html

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2009, 12:39 AM
There you go, they only have 3.4mil to offer. We offer him 4mil/3yrs or MLE for 2 years, a starting role and a shot at a ring, and he'd be mad not to take it unless someone else offers the full MLE for 3yrs. At this point, I'd match that anyway. He'd retire with Tim in 2012, I'm down with that.

NewJerSpur
07-03-2009, 12:40 AM
The real reason fans want to see him here is so they can call him "San" Antonio McDyess.

Solid D
07-03-2009, 12:51 AM
San Antonio is his namesake. How can he avoid a town that shares his name?

timvp
07-03-2009, 02:08 AM
McDyess hoped to remain with Detroit, but the acquisition of Villanueva has caused him to become more aggressive in pursuing other options.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/07/03/celtics_offer_wallace_a_contract/

TheSpursFNRule
07-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Thats great to here. Do you think Dice would be a better fit in SA? Im kind of starting to think he would. We really don't need a lot of offensive production at this point, just a big who can score here and there and has good veteran leadership. I also think he has more left in the tank than Sheed. Although sheed is clearly the better player I really would not be upset if Dice was our dude. I also notice things are real quiet about the spurs doing anything regarding him. I bet something is in the works, then again SA is going to meet with Sheed next week reportedly. Im anxious to see what happens.

Blackjack
07-03-2009, 02:14 AM
It's not surprising to me he'd want to stay in Detroit, but I myself would have a hard time staying in that situation if I didn't think Dumars had a much better plan than what he's shown so far.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 02:17 AM
McDyess would fit in well in SA. He has the range on his J to make defenses give TD decent spacing. Plus he hits the boards very well. Wallace gets the pub, but McDyess just feels like the better fit for SA. The Spurs have 4 other guys who can put up points. I'd be quite happy with Wallace or McDyess. I'm not sure that the disparity in media and fan attention between the two free agents is indicative of a similar difference in their prospective impact on the Spurs' rotation. McDyess would give you all you need in the starting lineup.

mountainballer
07-03-2009, 02:57 AM
http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/p1/20080529/04/970247352.jpg

I also would be happy with either of them and agree that McDyess would be the better fit in terms of the typical Spurs attributes. but I have a some concerns about the size of McDyess. he is usually listed at 6'10'', but this is a bit exaggerated. he would be pretty much in the Kurt Thomas category, that's ok, but leaves the Spurs still short compared to the Lakers. (especially with the 6'6'' Blair). Sheed is a legit 6'11'' and we will need at least 2 players with that height. so, if they land Dice, they still need to find a 7 footer via trade IMO. (I don't see one we could get for the minimum or the LLE)

TheSpursFNRule
07-03-2009, 03:01 AM
http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/p1/20080529/04/970247352.jpg

I also would be happy with either of them and agree that McDyess would be the better fit in terms of the typical Spurs attributes. but I have a some concerns about the size of McDyess. he is usually listed at 6'10'', but this is a bit exaggerated. he would be pretty much in the Kurt Thomas category, that's ok, but leaves the Spurs still short compared to the Lakers. (especially with the 6'6'' Blair). Sheed is a legit 6'11'' and we will need at least 2 players with that height. so, if they land Dice, they still need to find a 7 footer via trade IMO. (I don't see one we could get for the minimum or the LLE)

Don't you feel like that is just asking/wanting to much? I mean if they get Dice there not going to get much more. He's tough thats for sure, I guess you could say we would lack height in comparison to the Lakers but gain toughness with Dice and Blair...we would be a rugged team and still more of a hassle for the Lakers than we were last year. I think a big rotation featuring Duncan, Dice, Blair, Ian and on rare occasion Matt I miss every fucking shot I take Bonner is better than what we used to have and nothing to complain about.

timvp
07-03-2009, 03:02 AM
but I have a some concerns about the size of McDyess. he is usually listed at 6'10'', but this is a bit exaggerated.
McDyess measured 6-foot-9.5 barefoot. That's a legit 6-foot-10.

crc21209
07-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Dice is still 2nd on my list after Sheed, mainly due to the fact that Dice is shorter than Sheed! Sheed is 6'11, pretty much 7'0. Dice is 6'9.

timvp
07-03-2009, 03:05 AM
McDyess measured 6-foot-9.5 without shoes. Sheed measured 6-foot-9.75 without shoes.

Basically the same height.

crc21209
07-03-2009, 03:06 AM
^^Read the post above yours.

Sorry timvp I was typing as you were barely posting that. :lol. So you think the 2 inch difference or so in height really wont matter?

lurker23
07-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Matt I miss every fucking shot I take Bonner

Quite the opposite is true. Otherwise, even at 6'10, he wouldn't be in the league.

timvp
07-03-2009, 03:07 AM
Sorry timvp I was typing as you were barely posting that. :lol. So you think the 2 inch difference or so in height really wont matter?

Sorry, I edited that post now. Looking back at their draft measurements, there's all of a .25 inch difference between their heights.

TheSpursFNRule
07-03-2009, 03:11 AM
Quite the opposite is true. Otherwise, even at 6'10, he wouldn't be in the league.

I've watched that dude miss so many shots. Im also stoned and pissed off right now. Pissed off because I hate waiting for the Spurs to make a verbal fucking agreement with someone. :hat

mountainballer
07-03-2009, 03:13 AM
McDyess measured 6-foot-9.5 without shoes. Sheed measured 6-foot-9.75 without shoes.

Basically the same height.

that's the old numbers before the official pre draft measurements. look at some numbers and it's quite obvious that they are often not accurate. (they put all numbers in the without shoes category.) on the DX list, Tim is listed 6'11.5'' without shoes (this would make him almost 7'1'' in shoes) and I guess we all know well that this isn't accurate. Dice is about 2'' smaller than Sheed.

timvp
07-03-2009, 03:17 AM
that's the old numbers before the official pre draft measurements. look at some numbers and it's quite obvious that they are often not accurate. (they put all numbers in the without shoes category.) on the DX list, Tim is listed 6'11.5'' without shoes (this would make him almost 7'1'' in shoes) and I guess we all know well that this isn't accurate. Dice is about 2'' smaller than Sheed.There were official measurements back then as well. The story from DX is that they were given those measurements by an NBA general manager.

crc21209
07-03-2009, 03:22 AM
There were official measurements back then as well. The story from DX is that they were given those measurements by an NBA general manager.

So what do ya think timvp? Do we still got a crack at Sheed here? With the whole meeting next week and all...

Ariel
07-03-2009, 03:28 AM
Dice is about 2'' smaller than Sheed.
I realize that judging height from pictures can be tricky due to perspective, but nevertheless here are some pics of the two standing next to one another:
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5244/1033154618.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5928/icf6d8882bdeed1d50e66c0.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3604/rasheed2.jpg

ploto
07-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Both these guys are taking their sweet time and some team is going to be be left hanging. I think McDyess stays in Detroit.

Taking it to the Hole
07-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I realize that judging height from pictures can be tricky due to perspective, but nevertheless here are some pics of the two standing next to one another:
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5244/1033154618.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5928/icf6d8882bdeed1d50e66c0.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3604/rasheed2.jpg

Funny thing about the first picture is that neither of them look too happy.:lol

loveforthegame
07-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Both these guys are taking their sweet time and some team is going to be be left hanging. I think McDyess stays in Detroit.

That's what I'm afraid of. Both camps have said they'll take their time and look at all options. You can't blame them for that but maybe it's a good thing the Spurs have reached out to so many big men.

They might not be able to wait for long.

duncan228
07-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Numbers game may play into Antonio McDyess' plans (http://www.freep.com/article/20090703/SPORTS03/907030408/Numbers+game+may+play+into+Antonio+McDyess++plans+ )
By Vince Ellis • Free Press

It will be interesting to see what the final salary-cap hit will be for free agents Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva, who made commitments to sign deals with the Pistons.

Whatever the final number, it will go a long way toward what the Pistons can offer unrestricted free-agent power forward Antonio McDyess.

The Pistons were working on the details Thursday. McDyess is expected to get offers from San Antonio, Cleveland, Boston and others.

The San-Antonio Express News reported that McDyess was one of the first players the Spurs reached out to when the free-agency period began Wednesday.

The Pistons would need an estimated $3 million to $5 million to make an offer to McDyess when the final salary-cap number is known later this month.

Gordon and Villanueva agreed to deals that average a combined $18 million per season -- appearing to wipe out the Pistons' salary-cap space.

But deals are usually structured with a base salary in the first season with 8% raises for each year -- meaning the cap number is lower toward the beginning of an NBA contract.

Signing McDyess might take away the need for Pistons president of basketball operation Joe Dumars to make a deal for a big man.

But does McDyess, 34, want to return or go somewhere else to pursue his elusive championship ring?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2009, 11:13 PM
We can offer more money than the Pistons, and a much better chance at winning a ring (the Pistons' roster looks decidely average to me). We're also the perfect environment for a guy like Dice.

I strongly feel that he will be our other starting bigman next year.

Spurs Brazil
07-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Cavs have been in contact with Detroit Pistons free-agent forward Antonio McDyess. His agent, Andy Miller, told Booth Newspapers that McDyess would like to wait and see whom the Pistons hire as their coach before making a decision on his future.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/07/even_with_lebron_and_shaq_cava.html

Spurs Brazil
07-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Bobcats Intrigued By McDyess, Bass

Jul 04, 2009 9:02 PM EST
The Bobcats are looking to add a power forward through free agency.

Charlotte general manager Rod Higgins has contacted the agents for Antonio McDyess and Brandon Bass.

Both are unrestricted free agents.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60336/20090704/bobcats_intrigued_by_mcdyess_bass/

TJastal
07-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Boy from the pictures Sheed looks...... *drumroll please* a whole 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch taller than McDyess!!

Just like the draft measurements said! Imagine that.

:lol

TJastal
07-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Sheed's looks to have a longer wingspan than 'Dice but this should end the debate of people saying he's much taller.

Now if someone wants to argue that Sheed's plays bigger than McDyess .. you might have a point.

TJastal
07-05-2009, 06:58 AM
From the pics it looks like Rasheed has a short neck, while McDyess has a longer one. That's probably why Sheed can play bigger, he's literally all arms.

Question is, do the spurs need Sheed's length on defense? Maybe against the lakers it would help, but that's about it.

I'll still take Dice any day of the week I think he'd fit into the spurs team better personality wise, and he works his ass off on the O-boards. Seriously the spurs do not need another big man hanging out on the 3 point line, they got Bonner to do that already.

mogrovejo
07-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Better big man available for teams like the Celtics and the Spurs.

He is now better than Wallace at almost every aspect of the game; and by far on the defensive side.

timtonymanu
07-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Now that Wallace is off the market, McDyess needs to be brought in ASAP. The guy needs a ring and SA can give him one.

Spurtacus
07-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Should be priority #1 for us now.

kbrury
07-05-2009, 07:44 PM
who is also after Dice? CLE?

Mavs<Spurs
07-05-2009, 07:45 PM
McDyess or bust now !

No quality second big = Spurs are a very good, second tier team.

:wow

Spursmania
07-05-2009, 07:53 PM
McDyess or bust now !

No quality second big = Spurs are a very good, second tier team.

:wow

No doubt, we need a big.

timvp
07-05-2009, 07:56 PM
http://purgatorio1.com/wp-content/pics/DogPray.jpg

Please sign, Dice.

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 08:03 PM
That would be nice, but I do not know if he is enough.

Gino2882
07-05-2009, 08:09 PM
After all that was talked about not landing Mcdyess at this point would sting a bit. I was getting very used to the thought of having Sheed/McDyess on the team to help Tim. Sheed/Mcdyess are both very good post defenders and both have excellent range which would make both a really great fit next to Duncan.

Please get Duncan some help and get Mcdyess.

timvp
07-05-2009, 08:16 PM
You don't lose much at all in going from Wallace to McDyess.

The problem is that McDyess sounds like more of a longshot than Wallace was ... plus McDyess says he'll be taking his time.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2009, 08:18 PM
That would be nice, but I do not know if he is enough.

Rasheed averaged 12 and 7 this past year and shot 42%.
McDyess averaged 10 and 10 and shot 51%.

If Rasheed was enough, McDyess is enough.

Tully365
07-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Rasheed averaged 12 and 7 this past year and shot 42%.
McDyess averaged 10 and 10 and shot 51%.

If Rasheed was enough, McDyess is enough.

:toast
Parker, Manu, RJ, and Duncan can score. And so can Mason and Hill. Rebounding and efficiency would be more helpful IMO.

Thompson
07-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Well...
Any possible truth to the (unsubstantiated) rumor that we might be interested in Odom? Can we offer him more than the MLE? It would be nice to get him and weaken the Lakers at the same time. McDyess would be great for the LLE, assuming he's willing to take a little less for a good shot at a ring.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Well...
Any possible truth to the (unsubstantiated) rumor that we might be interested in Odom? Can we offer him more than the MLE? It would be nice to get him and weaken the Lakers at the same time. McDyess would be great for the LLE, assuming he's willing to take a little less for a good shot at a ring.

Spurs don't have more than MLE to offer Odom.

I seriously doubt McDyess would consider taking the LLE.

lefty
07-05-2009, 08:26 PM
According to the NY Times, Dice has meetings planned next week with L.A Lakers and Boston

:pctoss

Shastafarian
07-05-2009, 08:28 PM
According to the NY Times, Dice has meetings planned next week with L.A Lakers and Boston

Unless he's willing to take much less money I wouldn't worry about Boston. The Lakers don't have their MLE right? Same situation with them then.

Spurs Brazil

Those 2 team only have the LLE. I think he's looking for more

HarlemHeat37
As a NYer, I'll tell you, don't listen to any news from New York..

That's very strange though..would McDyess be willing to play for the minimum?..

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Unless he's willing to take much less money I wouldn't worry about Boston. The Lakers would still have their MLE if they sign Odom. Is that right?

they used the MLE on Wife Beating Ron..

Thompson

Great. Get Splitter over here if at all possible. Has Gortat actually committed? Could we (should we) try to pry him away from Dallas?

Shastafarian
they used the MLE on Wife Beating Ron..

Yeah right as I hit the submit button I realized they used it on Crazy Ron.

timvp
07-05-2009, 08:30 PM

Link?

Sdayi135
07-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Doesn't make a lot of sense for McDyess to go to Boston now

Johnny RIngo
07-05-2009, 08:34 PM
That's very strange though..would McDyess be willing to play for the minimum?..

Maybe, if he can get a ring out it. He's made close to a 100 mil during his career so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to see him take less.

picnroll
07-05-2009, 08:34 PM
lmao if the Spurs end up with Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2009, 08:35 PM
I highly doubt he goes to Boston..they got Rasheed, and they'll probably take Big Baby back..

LA doesn't make sense, assuming they sign Odom..

I'm guessing it'll come down to Detroit, San Antonio, and Cleveland..

Orlando seems to be high on Bass..

Texas_Ranger
07-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Great. Get Splitter over here if at all possible. Has Gortat actually committed? Could we (should we) try to pry him away from Dallas?

What's this Splitter talk... It was already reported that he's staying in Spain, so he's not coming. And he's not even that good, that he could be our starting center. I don't really know if he would be better than Haislip will be. Now we don't need Splitter cause we've already got 3 bigs that are on his level. We just need McDyess!!

Thompson
07-05-2009, 08:43 PM
It was all but certain Splitter was staying in Spain, but it wasn't certain. R.C. said something to the effect of 'I wouldn't count on Splitter coming over this year.' Still a theoretical possibility. :lol

lefty
07-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Link?
I heard it on ESPN radio, but those morons just retracted it :lol

" Ahem, just a rumor, nothing solid " :lmao

Shastafarian
07-05-2009, 08:44 PM

Couldn't find anything about it on NYTimes online.

timvp
07-05-2009, 08:44 PM

NY Times = ESPN Radio? :rolleyes

lefty being lefty . . .

lefty
07-05-2009, 08:45 PM
NY Times = ESPN Radio? :rolleyes

lefty being lefty . . .

Let me explain it to you:

ESPN said "according to the NY times.."

Jeez.............

Thompson
07-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Let me explain it to you:

ESPN said "according to the NY times.."

Well, the NY Times ain't what it used to be; maybe there's still a chance this isn't true. :lol

ElNono
07-05-2009, 08:51 PM
This guy or bust? RC better be unrolling the red carpet right about now...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2009, 09:01 PM
As discussed earlier in the thread, we can offer Dice more than the Pistons can - they can only go to about 4mil, while we can go the full MLE. I reiterate (already said it a few times), offer him the same deal Sheed got - full MLE for two years and cross your fingers.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2009, 09:02 PM
The Spurs should send out Holt, RC, Pop, Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili to meet McDyess..apparently that works nowadays..

picnroll
07-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I don't think the money is that big a factor with McDyess. Hopefully he doesn' hook on with LA as a fifth wheel to try to get his ring.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2009, 09:07 PM
I don't think the money is that big a factor with McDyess. Hopefully he doesn' hook on with LA as a fifth wheel to try to get his ring.

True, but last season he left money on the table to return to the Pistons out of loyalty, then they crapped out, and I doubt he wants to do that again.

Of all the available teams, we offer him the best chance of a ring, unless he's willing to sign for the LLE/vet min, in which case we're probably screwed.

Let's hope his agent convinces him to take real money in his last contract.

daslicer
07-05-2009, 10:18 PM
The Spurs should send out Holt, RC, Pop, Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili to meet McDyess..apparently that works nowadays..

:lol The capper for me was hearing about how Ray Allen sucked up to Sheed's wife about his great community service record. I guess ass kissing never ever fails.

poeticism707
07-05-2009, 10:37 PM
:lol The capper for me was hearing about how Ray Allen sucked up to Sheed's wife about his great community service record. I guess ass kissing never ever fails.
:lmao

phxspurfan
07-05-2009, 11:44 PM
McD or bust...

Danny.Zhu
07-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Please...

Avitus1
07-06-2009, 02:13 AM
We need to give this guy the star treatment..

rayray2k8
07-06-2009, 02:28 AM
Get it done. :tu

DAF86
07-06-2009, 02:58 AM
So who is in the contention for McDyess, Cleveland, Detroit?

Spurtacus
07-06-2009, 03:01 AM
Someone tell this guy about how awesome the Riverwalk is! He'll come over for sure...

Bruno
07-06-2009, 05:11 AM
The cap numbers should be released tomorrow and it will quite important in the quest for McDyess.

Pistons team salary against the cap is $55.7M. The latest cap projection I've seen was at $58.6M. So Pistons will only be able to offer a contract starting at $2.9M. If they want to offer more, they will have to do some trades to clear a little more cap space.

The MLE should be between $5.8M and $5.9M. Spurs will be able to offer twice more than Pistons to McDyess.

Even if McDyess has a soft spot for Detroit, twice more money and a legit shot to the title sounds intriguing.

DAF86
07-06-2009, 05:16 AM
The cap numbers should be released tomorrow and it will quite important in the quest for McDyess.

Pistons team salary against the cap is $55.7M. The latest cap projection I've seen was at $58.6M. So Pistons will only be able to offer a contract starting at $2.9M. If they want to offer more, they will have to do some trades to clear a little more cap space.

The MLE should be between $5.8M and $5.9M. Spurs will be able to offer twice more than Pistons to McDyess.

Even if McDyess has a soft spot for Detroit, twice more money and a legit shot to the title sounds intriguing.

Detroit doesn't concern me, McDyess already said he wanted to play for a contender team and the Pistons aren't one. I want to know what's Cleveland situation.

urunobili
07-06-2009, 08:03 AM
McD or bust...

So Pachulia, or trades for big men like Foster, Collison or Kaman would be bust too? :lol

peskypesky
07-06-2009, 10:07 AM
McDyess's rebounding is EXACTLY what we need. I always thought of him as a scorer, but his work on the glass last season was pretty impressive. Plus, he seems like a classy guy, unlike Sheed. Spurs better offer him everything and more.

lefty
07-06-2009, 10:44 AM
McDyess's rebounding is EXACTLY what we need. I always thought of him as a scorer, but his work on the glass last season was pretty impressive. Plus, he seems like a classy guy, unlike Sheed. Spurs better offer him everything and more.

Another thing favoring Dice: he won't take 50% of his shots from behind the 3 pt line

Kindergarten Cop
07-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Detroit doesn't concern me, McDyess already said he wanted to play for a contender team and the Pistons aren't one. I want to know what's Cleveland situation.

Is there a link with a quote from McDyess or his agent that actually states that or is that just speculation from other sources.

loveforthegame
07-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Hopefully the Spurs are all over him. I refuse to believe that Big Baby is the man we're after.

timvp
07-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Bucher's Twitter:

@RicBucher Spurs have made it clear they're going to bring in another big, w/ RWallace to Boston who's their 1st opt?

@wtc07 I know McDyess is on their list. On top of it, possibly

Hopefully that is true.

Muser
07-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Bucher's Twitter:

Hopefully that is true.

Get it done.

:hungry:

ploto
07-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Just another source that claims McDyess wants the full MLE.

The Wizards continue to have conversations with the representatives of players, and according to a league source, they did put in an inquiry with Antonio McDyess' camp, but the asking price (which would require them to use the mid-level exception, but because of the tax would total roughly $10 million) is too high.

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/outlet/2009/jul/05/four-on-the-wizards-radar/

Muser
07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Will the Spurs be able to offer full MLE?

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes the will be able to, but I do not know if they will? I hope if they do, it does not go to Baby, but Diceman.

crc21209
07-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Spurs need to go out and get McDyess now. He is exactly what the Spurs need.

mcdunk
07-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Just another source that claims McDyess wants the full MLE.

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/outlet/2009/jul/05/four-on-the-wizards-radar/

So what are the Spurs waiting for. McDyess is the best option for the starting big. He will clog the middle along with Duncan on defense and set tough picks on offense while picking up double digit rebounds per game.

Spurs Brazil
07-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Will the Spurs be able to offer full MLE?

If they want, yes

crc21209
07-06-2009, 02:25 PM
The Spurs can't be waiting around for Dyess. We HAVE to have an answer from him sometime this week, otherwise the Spurs are going to be royally screwed and everyone else may be gone from the picture. I'd rather have Big Baby than no one at all.

td4mvp21
07-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I would think McDyess would be a no brainer now that Sheed is no longer available. Hopefully the Spurs are working something out with him as we speak.

lefty
07-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Bucher's Twitter:

Hopefully that is true.

If it's Bucher, then it's not

Mugen
07-06-2009, 03:00 PM

yeah, Bucher was the one who said Sheed isn't going to Boston.

good call Ric.

Spurs Brazil
07-06-2009, 03:03 PM
yeah, Bucher was the one who said Sheed isn't going to Boston.

good call Ric.

And the guy who 1st reported Wallace to Boston is saying Big Baby to San Antonio

45 bank shot
07-06-2009, 04:32 PM

change your signature pic pls bro, you are freaking me out

kbrury
07-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Not official but there is some talk of Ariza backing out of the Houston deal to go to CLE. If this happens then CLE should be out of the running for McDyess the only other contender that could go after Dice is Orlando I don't know if they have been targeting him or not.

lefty
07-06-2009, 05:08 PM
change your signature pic pls bro, you are freaking me out
:lol

Well, that's the purpose of it

Sorry :D

superbigtime
07-06-2009, 05:19 PM
The Spurs can't be waiting around for Dyess. We HAVE to have an answer from him sometime this week, otherwise the Spurs are going to be royally screwed and everyone else may be gone from the picture. I'd rather have Big Baby than no one at all.

I would rather have no one at all (but we have already beefed up the frontcourt considerably) than sign marshmallow man. Or pick up Oberto. Re-sign Gooden on the cheap before his value gets overinflated. Make a trade later for Collison or another rebounder. Spurs aren't going to be screwed by 'missing out' on BBD, IMO. I think Spurs need a long big, not a chub who is a subpar rebounder. McDyess would be a nice fit I think. Similar to Kurt Thomas.

Bruno
07-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Not official but there is some talk of Ariza backing out of the Houston deal to go to CLE. If this happens then CLE should be out of the running for McDyess the only other contender that could go after Dice is Orlando I don't know if they have been targeting him or not.

Yes and if they don't get Ariza, I can see them signing Marion.

The market for Dice is quite small. I think Spurs have a quite good chance to get him if they offer him the MLE. It makes the Davis' rumor a little more incomprehensible.

Spurs going after Davis while they have a legit shot at Dice => :pctoss

Brazil
07-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Yes and if they don't get Ariza, I can see them signing Marion.

The market for Dice is quite small. I think Spurs have a quite good chance to get him if they offer him the MLE. It makes the Davis' rumor a little more incomprehensible.

Spurs going after Davis while they have a legit shot at Dice => :pctoss

Bruno it's time to work your scoop side !
I can't wait anylonger to see the light at the end of this mess tunnel, I want to know :bang

timvp
07-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Spurs going after Davis => :pctoss

Fixed :smokin

kbrury
07-06-2009, 05:31 PM
The only reason why I can think of for the Spurs not going after Dice is he is not interested or the Spurs aren't offering the entire MLE which I think they are to Davis but we'll see.

jacobdrj
07-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Dice's ability to hit the mid-range jumpshot along with his defensive intensity and rebounding would make him ideal. Catch is Timmay has to COMMIT to the inside game (no 10 ft bankshots) to keep things clear. RJ will have to be able to knock down some 3's.

Also, if you could wait to sign him until mid-season, you will get a much much better Dice.

ploto
07-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I suppose McDyess could be waiting to see who the new coach is going to be in Detroit.

Bruno
07-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Fixed :smokin

Well, I'm not the one who rather have him than Linas Kleiza. :stirpot:

ffadicted
07-06-2009, 05:37 PM
It was an unreal pipedream if we could split the MLE between big baby and McDyess.

Realistically speaking though, there is no way big baby comes to the spurs. Pop may have strange tactics, but he's not dumb enough to get someone like big baby as our starting C. Problem is though, all pop goes on about is a 4, so I'm thinking Mahinmi is going to get the starting C job, and if that doesn't go well, they'll try a trade midseason.

All that aside though, I'm still loving the idea of McDyess. Come on RC, please don't fuck around.

Spurs Brazil
07-06-2009, 05:52 PM
The Wizards are pursuing Antonio McDyess, but word is he's heading back to the Pistons. A decision from 'Dyess is coming soon, according to a source, and it appears to be between Detroit and San Antonio.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/15920813?source=rss_blogs_NBA

Mugen
07-06-2009, 05:56 PM
The Wizards are pursuing Antonio McDyess, but word is he's heading back to the Pistons. A decision from 'Dyess is coming soon, according to a source, and it appears to be between Detroit and San Antonio.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/15920813?source=rss_blogs_NBA

if Dice goes back to Detroit than he deserves the most loyal mofo in the history of sports award.

Bruno
07-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Nice to know that Spurs are after Dice. :tu

timvp
07-06-2009, 06:00 PM

oh please oh please oh please

timvp
07-06-2009, 06:00 PM
BTW, great job this summer with the info finding, Spurs Brazil :tu

Spurs Brazil
07-06-2009, 06:01 PM
BTW, great job this summer with the info finding, Spurs Brazil :tu

Thanks
I just want to find a good news. (McDyess and not Davis) :)

superbigtime
07-06-2009, 06:02 PM
if Dice goes back to Detroit than he deserves the most loyal mofo in the history of sports award.

For real. Dumars has overpaid like a 17 year old with daddy's credit card so far this offseason. they won't go any further than they did this past season, with or without Dice.

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 06:02 PM
I think Timvp would rather have LK than Baby. I would rather use the MLE on a solid back up SF that is versatile then pursue a big man trade. Get the best talent for the MLE, not someone who adds nothing just because you need a big man.

Spurs Brazil
07-06-2009, 06:03 PM
We'll have problems if McDyess decides to wait to see who will be his coach in Detroit

bigdog
07-06-2009, 06:04 PM
I hope Berger is right, and I hope Dice picks SA over Detroit. Who would want to go to a team in rebuilding mode that has no coach? If Dice does that, he is officially gay for Dumars.

timvp
07-06-2009, 06:04 PM
We'll have problems if McDyess decides to wait to see who will be his coach in Detroit

I think that if the Pistons hire a "win now" coach like Avery Johnson, McDyess will stay.

Tully365
07-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I think Timvp would rather have LK than Baby. I would rather use the MLE on a solid back up SF that is versatile then pursue a big man trade. Get the best talent for the MLE, not someone who adds nothing just because you need a big man.

But then who starts at PF and C?

Mugen
07-06-2009, 06:13 PM

Throwing the MLE at Kleiza is worse than throwing it at Baby.

rayray2k8
07-06-2009, 06:14 PM

There's hope!! :wow
Yeah, right.. He resigns with Detroit, I'm calling it. But should we be upset at him because of his loyalty towards the Pistons? That's something we should admire..
You know, I don't think him signing elsewhere would really effect me anymore. :)

Mugen
07-06-2009, 06:19 PM
There's hope!! :wow
Yeah, right.. He resigns with Detroit, I'm calling it. But should we be upset at him because of his loyalty towards the Pistons? That's something we should admire..
You know, I don't think him signing elsewhere would really effect me anymore. :)

if Dice went back to Detroit then that would be something to admire.

But as a Spurs fan, I say fuck that.

If Dice stays, then he can admire that 2010 Championship ring that's gonna be hanging on for dear life to Big Baby's chubby finger.

DMX7
If he wants to win, it would be so stupid to pick the pistons in a rough Eastern Conference over the Spurs when we only have one team in the West to really deal with.

timvp
The Pistons would much prefer to re-sign Antonio McDyess for similar money if they can. If anything, McDyess cares too much. He is a model pro. If Villanueva copies everything McDyess does for the next two years, he could be an All-Star.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090706/COL22/90706053/1051/SPORTS03/Glad+the+Pistons+had+Rasheed++good+to+see+him+go

Lockerroom, chemistry and professionalism wise, I don't know if there's a better fit in the NBA than McDyess.

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
But then who starts at PF and C?

If you use the MLE on Baby, you still do not know who will start and you have dupilcation between him and Blair and Bonner (with the mix of skill set).

To me having Blair or Ian or Bonner start is just as good as Baby. There is no difference and Bonner played well enough in the regular season. Baby adds absolutely nothing and the Spurs would have wasted a nice MLE contract on nothing.

Go get the best talent available for the MLE if you get spurned by everyone and you are only left with baby. Get a back up SF or SG that will contribute then pursue a trade later.

If you sign the best talent for the MLE, you will add to your roster and have a trade chip. If you add Baby, you wasted the MLE because you tried to fill a need with someone who cannot do it.

Tully365
07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Bust for off season? How can Jefferson, Blair, and Haislip be considered a bust? Man, Spurs fans are spoiled! At worst, it's 2 out of 3 for the FO.

barbacoataco
07-06-2009, 06:27 PM
A lot of Pistons fans seem to think that McDyess is loyal to the team and wants to stay.

Tully365
07-06-2009, 06:31 PM
If you use the MLE on Baby, you still do not know who will start and you have dupilcation between him and Blair and Bonner (with the mix of skill set).

To me having Blair or Ian or Bonner start is just as good as Baby. There is no difference and Bonner played well enough in the regular season. Baby adds absolutely nothing and the Spurs would have wasted a nice MLE contract on nothing.

Go get the best talent available for the MLE if you get spurned by everyone and you are only left with baby. Get a back up SF or SG that will contribute then pursue a trade later.

If you sign the best talent for the MLE, you will add to your roster and have a trade chip. If you add Baby, you wasted the MLE because you tried to fill a need with someone who cannot do it.

Yeah, I basically agree with this approach. I'd rather have Shelden Williams, Ryan Hollins, or Mouhamed Sene for cheap than Big Baby at the full MLE for multiple years.

Mugen
07-06-2009, 06:33 PM

ok so you think Kleiza for the MLE > Baby for the MLE?

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Yes, but Kleiza would not command all of it more than likely. If he did, then yes, I think he is better than Baby.

InK
07-06-2009, 06:37 PM
I have a feeling this won't end well, Dice resigns, and we waste good money and commit longterm to Baby...i get pissed off just thinking about it..

holcs50
07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Do you guys look at what you write sometimes? MLE and big baby should not ever be in the same sentence (cept this one). Thats the biggest joke ive ever heard. Spurs will be a huge laughing stock if they did that. Like some have said its dice or bust. We really really really need dice and more than ever now that sheed is a celt. If im spurs FO im doing whatever i can to get dice to come for the next 2 years...id even throw him a 3 year deal full MLE right now...that's how bad this team needs a guy like that....TD needs mofuckin help!

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 06:40 PM
It is not Dice or bust, but do not waste the MLE on Baby. There are still trades that can be made and surprises from some young guns.

InK
07-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Yes, but Kleiza would not command all of it more than likely. If he did, then yes, I think he is better than Baby.

After Zaza we should holster the cash in regards to FA, id rather see Oberto back and hope for a trade later on, then see us give 4+years contracts to people who wont bring us over the top.

crc21209
07-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Oh please McDyess please please choose S.A!

InK
07-06-2009, 06:42 PM
It is not Dice or bust, but do not waste the MLE on Baby. There are still trades that can be made and surprises from some young guns.

Exactly, please no, just please no to baby.

Tully365

But if Mahinmi disappoints and Blair has any hint of knee problems, that leaves the front line threadbare thin. They've already gambled on Blair's knees and now Haislip's growth in Europe... I think now they do something safe and pragmatic.

Mugen

i see your point but i disagree.

Giving Kleiza anything close to the MLE would be way worse than Baby.

As much as i am against signing baby, i think he still has the potential to round out his game mainly his rebounding and defense, at least more so than Kleiza.

and to say that he can be used as trade bait later would be pretty risky to do when giving a player the MLE.

i also think that talent wise, Baby > Kleiza.

ok enough defending big baby.

timvp
If the Spurs land McDyess, this will have been an A+ offseason no matter what the Spurs do after that.

peskypesky
Oh please McDyess please please choose S.A!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm on my knees begging.

InK
07-06-2009, 06:44 PM
If the Spurs land McDyess, this will have been an A+ offseason no matter what the Spurs do after that.

And we take away the + if they don't?

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 06:45 PM
But if Mahinmi disappoints and Blair has any hint of knee problems, that leaves the front line threadbare thin. They've already gambled on Blair's knees and now Haislip's growth in Europe... I think now they do something safe and pragmatic.

Baby would be the most expensive gamble of all. Not to mention, even if they sign Baby for the MLE, if both Ian and Blair are busts, they are still too thin to win up front.

There will always bet vets who shake loose around the trade deadline and you can pick one up for cheap if you are going to go the gamble route.

crc21209
07-06-2009, 06:46 PM
So an answer is coming soon huh....any chance we hear something by tonight?

ploto
I think that if the Pistons hire a "win now" coach like Avery Johnson, McDyess will stay.

Sunday's get-together between Joe Dumars and Avery Johnson to discuss the Pistons' coaching opening proved very productive, but an agreement hasn't been reached, a source told NBA.com.

"Great meeting," the source said. "Nothing to report yet."

Detroit's president traveled to Johnson's home in the Houston suburb of The Woodlands in attempt to convince the former Mavericks coach and current ESPN analyst to return to the sidelines. Johnson, 44, has emerged as the leading candidate to replace Michael Curry, who Dumars fired last week after one season.

Johnson still has two years for approximately $8 million left in compensation after being dismissed in Dallas after the 2007-08 season. Johnson would forfeit that money if he takes another coaching job for this upcoming season or the next.

Finances are only part of the puzzle in Johnson's potential return. Involvement in the assembling of Detroit's roster together is a key issue for Johnson. Dumars has long been a hands-on and aggressive executive. The Pistons have already been the most active team in free agency, coming to early agreements with guard Ben Gordon and forward Charlie Villanueva.

Apparently, Johnson liked what he heard Sunday and the talks are expected to continue. Dumars has said he wants to have a coach in place this week.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/art_garcia/07/06/avery.pistons.update/

DPG21920
McDyess would be a very solid addition and really set the Spurs up. Give them a nice mix. Not as good as Sheed imo, but would make for an awesome off season.

Mugen
07-06-2009, 06:49 PM
McDyess would be a very solid addition and really set the Spurs up. Give them a nice mix. Not as good as Sheed imo, but would make for an awesome off season.

would it ensure that the RJ trade wasn't a failure then? haha

DBMethos
07-06-2009, 06:49 PM
C'mon...SAN ANTONIO MCDYESS...it just makes sense.

timvp
07-06-2009, 06:50 PM
And we take away the + if they don't?Depends what they do with the MLE.

So an answer is coming soon huh....any chance we hear something by tonight?I'd expect an answer after a coach is selected. But since it'll probably be AJ, I think that means McDyess will stay.

Unfortunately.

Tully365
07-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Baby would be the most expensive gamble of all. Not to mention, even if they sign Baby for the MLE, if both Ian and Blair are busts, they are still too thin to win up front.

There will always bet vets who shake loose around the trade deadline and you can pick one up for cheap if you are going to go the gamble route.

:lol I wasn't stating a case for Baby, but a case against Kleiza.

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 06:52 PM
would it ensure that the RJ trade wasn't a failure then? haha

The RJ trade is not the failure, the plan would be the failure if they do not address the needs in a fitting manner. The RJ trade is part of the plan.

But the Spurs are a long way from that and as far as I am concerned, the Spurs have until 2012.

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 06:53 PM
:lol I wasn't stating a case for Baby, but a case against Kleiza.

I know. I was just saying how in no circumstance does it make sense to go Baby. Kleiza makes more sense (just using him as an example, not ideal.)

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2009, 06:58 PM
I don't see AJ joining Detroit..he would be giving up A LOT of money..

NewJerSpur
07-06-2009, 07:00 PM
My thing is, how much would McDyess protect Tim (and the rim) on the defensive end? Even when he could jump out of the gym he wasn't really a premier defender.

holcs50
07-06-2009, 07:00 PM
The RJ trade was as borat would say "great success". But we all know that we need a legit big man and until that happens we won't win next year. My head is still spinning around talks of big baby. Thats has to be a joke right? Guy will make the spurs about .0000001% better. He's shit.

Spurtacus
07-06-2009, 07:01 PM
I've already given up on Dice being a Spur after we missed out on Sheed. The FO doesn't seem to be aligned with what Spurs fans want in FA.

kbrury
07-06-2009, 07:03 PM
I've already given up on Dice being a Spur after we missed out on Sheed. The FO doesn't seem to be aligned with what Spurs fans want in FA.
how do you know this?

Russ
07-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Not looking too good for the Spurs and McDyess . . .

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/15920813

Spurtacus
07-06-2009, 07:04 PM
how do you know this?

Well for one this.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60366/20090706/spurs_could_offer_davis_mid_level_exception/

peskypesky
07-06-2009, 07:04 PM
My thing is, how much would McDyess protect Tim (and the rim) on the defensive end? Even when he could jump out of the gym he wasn't really a premier defender.

what are there, like 4 defenders left in the league?

kbrury
07-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Well for one this.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60366/20090706/spurs_could_offer_davis_mid_level_exception/

Thats the same info we have had for Davis, but the Spurs seem to have been targeting McDyess so we don't know which one is the priority.

Gino2882
07-06-2009, 07:08 PM

According to Hollinger in his player reports, Mcdyess was the one who most often defended the opposing teams best post player. Thus allowing Rasheed to roam around.

Whether Dyess is a great shot blocker at this stage is not the big deal. The fact that he is a high quality low post defender would be excellent. Having Mcdyess start off on the opposing teams best big would allow Duncan to play more weakside defense.

IMO I think he would protect Duncan very well. Sheed would have done so as well.

Dyess/Mahinmi/Blair
Duncan/Blair/Mahinmi

NewJerSpur
07-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Tim can still protect the rim almost as good as anybody in the NBA..his 1 on 1 defense is what has declined over the years, at least IMO..McDyess can defend 1 on 1 in the post, so that would be his role defensively..

Not that Tim can't, but it would be nice to see him receive the same help that Dave got towards the end of his career; less attempts he has to make at shotblocks. McDyess is strong in the post, but facing up defensively may be a question mark.

Spurtacus
07-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Thats the same info we have had for Davis, but the Spurs seem to have been targeting McDyess so we don't know which one is the priority.

I realize that but we've heard very little about Dice to Spurs other than there being interest among both parties.

NewJerSpur
07-06-2009, 07:13 PM

Free Agency is exciting, but it can also be a mother.

Blackjack
07-06-2009, 07:22 PM
'Dyess has been my second-choice all along, even if I haven't been thrilled of the prospect, but I have just never believed he was going to leave Detroit.

People like to assume his return to Detroit was solely out of loyalty, but I've always believed it had to do with something more.

Let's not forget, 'Dyess was ready to retire if he couldn't play in Detroit. He's also the same guy that wanted nothing to do with a starting role because of the success he had coming off the bench.

What I'm getting at, from what I've heard in the past and from some of the statements/actions he's made in recent years, 'Dyess definitely seems the superstitious-type.

The guy's finally had an extended stretch of good health and success, and I'm pretty sure it would take pretty much the sales job of a lifetime to get him to leave a comfortable/blessed situation, as I'm sure he views it.

I don't question that the guy wants a ring and that had he not had the terrible luck with injuries that he'd want to leave Detroit for the Spurs, but I'm not sure he really looks at it that simply.

I think he tries to look at it from a basketball standpoint and which situation would give him a better shot at a ring, but in his heart of hearts?

I think he honestly worries about leaving a situation that's allowed him to get his career back, as Detroit has, only to end up having to go through what he did before arriving at Detroit, once again..

galvatron3000
07-06-2009, 07:25 PM

The Wizards are pursuing Antonio McDyess, but word is he's heading back to the Pistons. A decision from 'Dyess is coming soon, according to a source, and it appears to be between Detroit and San Antonio. Blazers restricted free agent Channing Frye could be a fallback option for Washington. But according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Cavs are the latest team to meet with Frye, who also has drawn interest from Denver, Phoenix, and San Antonio.

Gino2882
07-06-2009, 07:29 PM
'Dyess has been my second-choice all along, even if I haven't been thrilled of the prospect, but I have just never believed he was going to leave Detroit.

People like to assume his return to Detroit was solely out of loyalty, but I've always believed it had to do with something more.

Let's not forget, 'Dyess was ready to retire if he couldn't play in Detroit. He's also the same guy that wanted nothing to do with a starting role because of the success he had coming off the bench.

What I'm getting at, from what I've heard in the past and from some of the statements/actions he's made in recent years, 'Dyess definitely seems the superstitious-type.

The guy's finally had an extended stretch of good health and success, and I'm pretty sure it would take pretty much the sales job of a lifetime to get him to leave a comfortable/blessed situation, as I'm sure he views it.

I don't question that the guy wants a ring and that had he not had the terrible luck with injuries that he'd want to leave Detroit for the Spurs, but I'm not sure he really looks at it that simply.

I think he tries to look at it from a basketball standpoint and which situation would give him a better shot at a ring, but in his heart of hearts?

I think he honestly worries about leaving a situation that's allowed him to get his career back, as Detroit has, only to end up having to go through what he did before arriving at Detroit, once again..

Possibly. But McDyess is about to be 35 years old. If he really wants a title he has to move now.

picnroll
07-06-2009, 07:34 PM
McDyess will just be the next in a long, long line of free agents leaving the Spurs, every FA's favorite stalking horse, standing at the altar. I'm resigned.

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Well usually the Spurs are used as leverage, which is why you hear so many rumors..

McDyess doesn't really have any reason to use us as leverage, since he won't get any more $ out of anybody else, and there doesn't appear to be other contending teams that are looking at him seriously..it pretty much comes down to winning+$$$ vs. loyalty..

holcs50
07-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Yep i agree with blackjack-he either stay in detroit or hopefully we give him an offer he can't refuse. We need Dice badly-or a player on that level-and he's bout the only one out there we can get

clubalien
07-06-2009, 07:38 PM
would demoting op to defenses coordinator and hiring AJ as our coach increase our chance of getting dice. IF so do it now.

meestahmeestah
07-06-2009, 07:46 PM
I've never seen this much pining for an 8 point/6 rebound guy in my life.

holcs50
07-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I've never seen this much pining for an 8 point/6 rebound guy in my life.

Have you watched the spurs since DR retired? That's why there's this much "pining". All of us-or most of us-on here realize that the other big man helping TD has been SHIT the last 5 years. Wanting dice is completely legit, if you watch him you know he's a smart player and will help TD on the boards. We for once need a guy who can honestly help td, instead of stand there and act like a tard.

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2009, 08:06 PM
McDyess put up 13 PPG and 8.5 RPG on 52% shooting in the playoffs, against the team that had the best record in the entire NBA..that's part of what we're looking at, not "8 and 6"..

meestahmeestah
07-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Have you watched the spurs since DR retired? That's why there's this much "pining". All of us-or most of us-on here realize that the other big man helping TD has been SHIT the last 5 years. Wanting dice is completely legit, if you watch him you know he's a smart player and will help TD on the boards. We for once need a guy who can honestly help td, instead of stand there and act like a tard.

Who's DR?

Seriously though, if you're one of these people who think McDyess is the answer then you must have seen more from his 8 points/6 boards and half a block a game than I did. Is McDyess that big of an upgrade from, say, Kurt Thomas?

meestahmeestah
07-06-2009, 08:13 PM
McDyess put up 13 PPG and 8.5 RPG on 52% shooting in the playoffs, against the team that had the best record in the entire NBA..that's part of what we're looking at, not "8 and 6"..

So McDyess is more mobile and athletic than Zydrunas Ilgauskas? Wow, I had no idea.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Who's DR?

Seriously though, if you're one of these people who think McDyess is the answer then you must have seen more from his 8 points/6 boards and half a block a game than I did. Is McDyess that big of an upgrade from, say, Kurt Thomas?

:lol @ who's DR

McDyess averaged 10/10 and shot 50+% this past season.

Who do you want for the MLE?

timvp
07-06-2009, 08:14 PM

Where are you getting the 8 and 6 numbers? Last season he was close to 10, 10 and 1.

And yes, McDyess is potentially a big upgrade from Thomas. He's more mobile, stays in better shape, is maniacal about winning and is the best jumpshooting bigman in the game percentage-wise outside of Dirk.

meestahmeestah
07-06-2009, 08:16 PM
C'mon, I was kidding about "Who's DR"...it was only fitting to mock right back after I'd been mocked.

I don't think it's necessary to spend the entire MLE just because you can. I don't like Glen Davis for the MLE any more than I like McDyess for the MLE, and I hope the Spurs don't overpay for anyone now that Wallace is off the table.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-06-2009, 08:16 PM
If the Spurs lose out on McDyess, they need to package Bonner, Finley and Splitter's rights for a real big man.

It sickens me to think of Tim Duncan wasting the twilight of his career playing next to Jackie Moon.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
C'mon, I was kidding about "Who's DR"...it was only fitting to mock right back after I'd been mocked.

I don't think it's necessary to spend the entire MLE just because you can. I don't like Glen Davis for the MLE any more than I like McDyess for the MLE, and I hope the Spurs don't overpay for anyone now that Wallace is off the table.

So would you have been okay paying Rasheed (who averaged 12/7/1) the MLE, but not McDyess (who averaged 10/10 in less minutes)?

To me, if you are willing to pay one of them, you should be willing to pay the other. They are both old vets who can contribute. I just don't understand the people that think Dice is a huge huge drop off from Rasheed (and the others who think the other way around).

NewJerSpur
07-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Any chance we can still steal Gortat away (Toronto-style)?

exstatic
07-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Who's DR?
Gawd, what a newb.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1994/0307_large.jpg