Bruno
04-29-2009, 04:28 AM
http://www.tysk.ee/rock/failid/Image/Meeskond/UT081003OM454.jpg

Viktor Sanikidze | F
Born: Apr 1, 1986
Height: 6-8 / 2,03
Weight: 200 lbs. / 91 kg.
Born: Tbilisi, Georgia

wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Sanikidze)

objective
04-29-2009, 04:54 AM
I want him on the Spurs roster, bad.

2 year deal, minimum, non-guaranteed second year.

No excuses to not get him.

He was very promising in his lone summer league appearance.

timvp
04-29-2009, 05:29 AM
Fraggle Rock has pretty cool uniforms.

At the very least, I want him on the summer league team. A couple years in Austin also wouldn't hurt.

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2009, 07:18 AM
fuck he looks like a young brent barry but longer arms

i want this guy on our team NAO

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2009, 07:28 AM
the question why isnt this guy on our toros team, but playing in a shit league in europe?

he should be here so the scouts can have a better look at him.....and can be called up anytime and chuck on the spurs team for a few games see if he can adapt to the NBA.

objective
04-29-2009, 04:05 PM
setting aside my own personal judgement of whether Sanikidze can play NBA ball . . .

The Spurs traded UP to get this guy, passing on another 6-8 19 year old SF in the process (Ariza).

They need to sign him just to try him out. I would say after the trouble they went through to draft him they owe it to themselves to find out once and for all if he could ever be worth it.

Rynospursfan
04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
He does not have NBA talent.

Ditty
04-29-2009, 07:07 PM
i heard he was like the next peja?

EricB
04-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Nah not Peja.

The guy has to be brought into Summer league again and then training camp.

objective
05-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Lots of Sanikidze in this video, #13 in black.

9gjCnRI7FJI

Libri
05-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Bring him to the summer league to see what he can do.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-03-2009, 09:59 PM
the question why isnt this guy on our toros team, but playing in a shit league in europe?

he should be here so the scouts can have a better look at him.....and can be called up anytime and chuck on the spurs team for a few games see if he can adapt to the NBA.

As I say before he has offers from some Greek clubs for next year. He will move into a top level league in Europe next year probably. So we will know for sure then what he is capable of.

timvp
05-03-2009, 10:04 PM

9gjCnRI7FJI

He didn't look too good in that video. Not as fluid as I remember him.

Hopefully he was hurt or something because that's not anywhere near NBA level play . . .

TheProfessor
05-03-2009, 10:39 PM

9gjCnRI7FJI
Wow. Helps you appreciate NBA athleticism after watching something like that...

Ditty
05-03-2009, 11:23 PM
no defense at all in the video lol

do they call a timeout after every made shot?

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-04-2009, 01:32 PM
We can't judge him until next season when he moves to a high level league in Europe. I think we will know about him next season.

Ditty
05-05-2009, 12:03 AM
could we trade him for a second rounder this year or him and javatsokas for a late 1st round

mountainballer
05-05-2009, 02:22 AM
ouch. this reminds me a lot about an Austrian league game.
but hey, Sanikidze could have a pretty nice career in Fürstenfeld!

ploto
05-05-2009, 08:44 AM
The Spurs were so excited about getting Viktor- even more excited than drafting Beno that year. Supposedly, he was the big Spurs steal of that draft.

tp2021
05-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Bruno, in another thread you said that the Georgian national team has its first game on August 15. Do you (or anyone) know when their training camp starts?

objective
06-12-2009, 01:36 AM
Here's some random Sanikidze notes :

His team lost in the Estonian league Finals over a week ago to BC Kalev/Cramo in 5 games, 3-2. Sanikidze in the series was singled out and praised by the BC coach for being a good player and that he wasn't "drafted by random" in the NBA draft.

Tartu Rock is letting go of one of their foreigners, Tanoka Beard, and from what I can tell from the translations, the other big ones, Sanikidze and Tsintsadze, aren't locks for next year, their contractual continuations are under 'consideration'.

Not too surprisingly for Spurs fans, Sanikidze had minor issues with illness during the spring, missing a game in February. In April he missed a practice which led to the coach's disclosure that "He is here in the last month have already several times received such a cold or virus."

The Eurobasket site for their Estonian league awards named Sanikidze to the all-import team and to 2nd team all Estonian league.

objective
06-12-2009, 01:41 AM
Bruno, in another thread you said that the Georgian national team has its first game on August 15. Do you (or anyone) know when their training camp starts?

Don't know exactly when, but in 2007 when Sankidze played on the Spurs summer league team in both LV and Utah, his last scheduled game was July 14th before he had to return to Georgia.

objective
06-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Some Sanikidze videos. These are not mine, but there should be a new one to add to these in the next 2 weeks.

zeNQmdDMyEw

hkPxnEpss54

objective
06-15-2009, 02:14 AM
As promised, a new Sanikidze highlight clip.

TaG1D7PH_AA

After having watched several games worth of both SEB and BBL ball, and realizing how poorly that reflects on how I spend my time, I can still say that I want the Spurs to sign him this summer no matter what.

Could he get better with time next year with a euro-league level team? Sure. But why wait? After all, as a second round pick he counts about half towards the luxury tax. And the worst that could happen is he could play so poorly the Spurs get routed in the first round by the Mavs.

First, constant use of airhorns in Tartu and elsewhere is beyond nauseating.

Back to Sanikidze. This guy can play in the NBA. He's a legit long 3, long arms and all. I'm not saying he's the savior, I'm not saying he'll be a star, but I firmly believe he could be a bench player in the league. He might be missing some things in his game, especially an inbetween game. But he moves great without the ball cutting to the basket which would fit in well with the Spurs, finishes well for the most part, and does play with some intelligence (at least in the games I saw I didn't notice any seriously dumb plays).

He's solid with the ball driving and passing off to big men for easy baskets, something not really evident in the video due to poor camera angles and other issues. His handle was respectable in the games I saw.

He definately has shotblocking skills, and though once compared to Kirilenko potentially with his length and aptitude he's probably closer to Tayshaun Prince with regards to blocks.

Usually I saw him matched up against much heavier players when he was on the court playing 4, which was most of the time. He competed hard for rebounds but his lack of strength I think would hurt him in the NBA. He wouldn't be a bad rebounder, but his stats might lead people to think he'd be a great rebounding SF but I'm skeptical. Defensively, I'm at a loss to explain what to expect from him on the perimeter against a 1-on-1 player. He rarely had to cover someone on the perimeter with the ball to my memory so I don't know. His lenght and shotblocking help, and I'm confident he'd be no worse in the Spurs system on defense than a Finley or a Mason.

His 3-point shot is still kind of funky to look at, he's no deadeye. Servicable maybe, but he'd be a candidate for shot re-build with Chip.

He can definately finish in the open court and get up for alley-oops. There was one play where the ball was passed impossibly high so maybe only a Dwight Howard or Lebron could have gotten it and finished, but Sanikidze was able to grab it, but unable to finish. It was something I found impressive even in it's failure. No current Spur would have even been able to catch the ball at all except maybe a healthy Ian.

One thing that exists regardless of level of basketball, is that he's a player full of passion. That's something the Spurs need. I don't just mean hustle or energy. Hell, Kurt Thomas hustles. Ime Udoka hustles. I mean passion, even a little overboard sometimes as you can see in the video. Plenty more instances of immense enthusiasm following plays happened that weren't included. He was damn into those games, even if it was just some run of the mill SEB game in an airhorn filled gym. The Spurs need players to inject new enthusiasm and vitality into their game. Maybe even reigned in just a little, because I saw two instances of him running up the score on teams when the amount of time remaining was less than the shot clock and the game was settled.

Other notes. Gert Kullamae looks old enough to be Indrek Visanpuu's father. And Sanikidze looks like he might be old enough to be Kullamae's father.

In at least 1 game Sanikidze had what appeared to be a heavily wrapped hand, I don't know if it was a serious issue or not. There were games where good things were happening when Sanikidze was playing which is in line with my summer league memories, but then the coach would stick him on the bench for long stretches of time.

So to sum up, I believe Sanikidze can play in the NBA and I want the Spurs to sign him. Just my opinion. I may be just another dumb fan, but I was also dumb enough to think Scola could play in the NBA among other things. If only other people had been so dumb. :toast

objective
06-15-2009, 02:20 AM
He did seem to have some fatigue issues at least to my memory. Whether that was due to illness or poor conditioning I couldn't say. Sometimes instead of sliding or gliding he was more . . . dragging.

timvp
06-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Awesome work, objective. The videos I've watched of him in overseas action have been hit and miss. Sometimes he looks like he'll never be with 500 miles of an NBA court, other times he looks like he has promise.

That said, I was pretty darn impressed when we saw him in summer league. He had a lot of intangibles as far as instincts and knowing where to be. We saw so little of him in the summer league setting that it's difficult to make any conclusions but I think he's worth a chance. Bring him over and one of three things happens: 1) He impresses and can help out. 2) He shows potential and is kept in Austin for a year or two. 3) He sucks and the Spurs can waive him and move on.

None of those three scenarios are bad at this point. The only argument against it could be a lack of roster space ... but if it comes down to him or a retread like Udoka, I'd go with Sanikidze in a heartbeat.

yavozerb
06-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Nice video!! I like the facial dunks, shot often with his lft hand, alot of good drives to the basket, nice blocks, seems like an emotional palyer (which the spurs desperatly need). Didn't see many jump shots but hell ya, give this guy a chance this summer.:toast

ace3g
06-15-2009, 09:02 AM
like timvp and others have said, after hearing that the spurs drafted Sanikidze and doing some research on him, I really wanted the spurs to bring him over as soon as possible.

When he finally played in the Summer League, my excitement grew even more, he was probably the best player on that team before he was benched and got inconsistent minutes most of the summer league.

He runs well, especially with those long legs, he can make up a lot of ground quickly for blocks, like Prince does. Although his shot looks horrendous, he seems to be confident with his outside shot, it could be a situation like with Shawn Marion where it is too late to change his form and keep it how it is. Just work on getting the release quicker for the NBA game speed.

How long was the contract with his current Rock team? If it was only a 2 year deal, then the Spurs should bring him over now because the buyout should be minimum

loveforthegame
06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
None of those three scenarios are bad at this point. The only argument against it could be a lack of roster space ... but if it comes down to him or a retread like Udoka, I'd go with Sanikidze in a heartbeat.

Good points. I agree I'd like to try something new instead of falling back on someone like Udoka.

timvp
06-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Watching all the videos of Sanikidze again, I just don't see any development in his body. He is still amazingly skinny. Even in the most recent videos, he has the arms of a 12-year-old anorexic female. I'm guessing the Spurs will take one look at his build and conclude he's not ready.

Even when he was looking better than expected in summer league, the Spurs coaches were scoffing at his chances in the NBA because they said he was way too skinny and weak. It doesn't look like he's gotten any stronger.

If I had to guess, the Spurs will hope he signs with a better team (maybe Gist's team?) and put him on a workout regimen. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll give him a shot until he bulks up even a little bit.

urunobili
06-15-2009, 01:22 PM
He'll never be a Spur... :wakeup

objective
06-15-2009, 02:03 PM
How long was the contract with his current Rock team? If it was only a 2 year deal, then the Spurs should bring him over now because the buyout should be minimum

I don't think his contract should be an issue. Rock is letting go of Tanoka Beard and publicly only commenting on maybe bringing back the 2 Georgians. There seems to be some government funding controversy amongst teams and Rock complaining that they're getting much less than other teams, at least that's what I could make out form the gibberish google translate produces.

Watching all the videos of Sanikidze again, I just don't see any development in his body. He is still amazingly skinny. Even in the most recent videos, he has the arms of a 12-year-old anorexic female. I'm guessing the Spurs will take one look at his build and conclude he's not ready.

Even when he was looking better than expected in summer league, the Spurs coaches were scoffing at his chances in the NBA because they said he was way too skinny and weak. It doesn't look like he's gotten any stronger.

If I had to guess, the Spurs will hope he signs with a better team (maybe Gist's team?) and put him on a workout regimen. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll give him a shot until he bulks up even a little bit.

Maybe so. My case to the Spurs would be they'd increase their chances of a successful investment by bringing him here and getting him on a real diet and exercise plan under the direction of their trainers, either with the Spurs or with the Toros. He's had such a rocky go of it with teams in Europe and problems with health (as I stated before, he had some kind of lingering flu or illness for awhile), that I don't think he'd get the attention he needs even with a higher quality euro-team. He's still young enough to at least add strength though perhaps not bulk.

And his contract wouldn't count 100% towards the tax as a second rounder! Brilliant!

objective
06-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Awesome work, objective. The videos I've watched of him in overseas action have been hit and miss. Sometimes he looks like he'll never be with 500 miles of an NBA court, other times he looks like he has promise.

That said, I was pretty darn impressed when we saw him in summer league. He had a lot of intangibles as far as instincts and knowing where to be. We saw so little of him in the summer league setting that it's difficult to make any conclusions but I think he's worth a chance. Bring him over and one of three things happens: 1) He impresses and can help out. 2) He shows potential and is kept in Austin for a year or two. 3) He sucks and the Spurs can waive him and move on.

I think the word 'intangibles' is the top thing that comes to mind for me with Sanikidze. Good things just seem to happen when he's playing, first saw it in summer league. As a comparison, I like his chances better than Marcus Williams for being able to contribute to a Spurs team.

Unfortunately if his national team schedule is the same as in 2007 that probably means no summer league this year, unless he wanted to squeeze in 2 games with the Spurs if that.

jcrod
06-15-2009, 05:44 PM

I don't see him being skinner than Kirilenko and Kirilenko would help the spurs at the three. At the three as long as he is tall and has lenght, which he does, i believe he can survive as is. As long as he is healthy.

06-15-2009, 08:19 PM
he is pretty damn lanky. looks can be deceiving though because it's about strength, not mass. it's really impossible to determine if he's strong enough at the SF spot without getting to see how he functions against borderline NBA players. spurs have nothing to lose by bringing him over for the summer league. i hope summer league will be a SF roster spot slugfest where gist, sanikdze, hairston, williams, and whoever the spurs draft compete for the SF spots.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-15-2009, 10:13 PM
From what I see in those videos he is Rudy Fernandez minus the passing and shooting ability. I think third string SF for Spurs is possible.

Mr. Body
06-16-2009, 12:02 AM
As injury prone as Ian Mahinmi. They'd be the perfect pair in civilian clothes at the end of the bench.

06-16-2009, 01:54 AM
his shooting stroke looked familiar and i didn't realize it until now but it looks a lot like barbosa's.

objective
06-25-2009, 11:59 PM
checking out the vid stats tonight I noticed a surge of viewers from Italy.

Doing some digging around I found the reason. Apparently Sanikidze is being pursued by Italian club Carife Ferrara, which plays in the A league. Last year they had such players as Ndudi Ebi, Allan Ray, and Harold Jamison. They finished 10th out of 16, 3 spots behind Gist's Biella team, at least in the point standings.

http://press.legabasket.it/frontend/downloadtxt.php?id=1955889&data=2009-06-24

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Didn't Sanikidze play in SL or camp a couple of years back? He wasn't very impressive, and if memory serves he's had a major injury since then. Am I thinking of someone else? This dude has been off my radar for a while. No way does he look better than Hairston or possibly even Marcus.

objective
06-26-2009, 12:22 AM
just imo, I like his NBA potential better.

Sanikidze did play in the 07 SL before national team commitments cut his time short. I doubt he'll play in the SL this year because the dates are even more in conflict with the NT but I should know for sure in a couple of days.

He did miss a lot of time in 07-08, but played nearly all the games in 08-09 for Rock Tartu except for some games missed due to illness. He was one of their best players too, especially towards the end of the season.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-26-2009, 01:40 AM
checking out the vid stats tonight I noticed a surge of viewers from Italy.

Doing some digging around I found the reason. Apparently Sanikidze is being pursued by Italian club Carife Ferrara, which plays in the A league. Last year they had such players as Ndudi Ebi, Allan Ray, and Harold Jamison. They finished 10th out of 16, 3 spots behind Gist's Biella team, at least in the point standings.

http://press.legabasket.it/frontend/downloadtxt.php?id=1955889&data=2009-06-24

Still about 3 levels below a good Euroleague team.

objective
07-09-2009, 11:32 PM
according to this most recent article, Sanikidze is apparently a candidate to join . . .

Angelico Biela

What a coincidence.

http://www.basketnet.it/news/110228/La

loveforthegame
07-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Sounds good. :tu

timvp
07-09-2009, 11:55 PM
according to this most recent article, Sanikidze is apparently a candidate to join . . .

Angelico Biela

What a coincidence.

That'd be pretty awesome and would raise his chances of eventually making the NBA significantly.

Blackjack
07-10-2009, 12:23 AM

Angelico Biela

What a coincidence.

A good step up in competition and a nice place for the Spurs to evaluate his progress more closely.

Hopefully it works out.:tu

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Fraggle Rock has pretty cool uniforms.

At the very least, I want him on the summer league team. A couple years in Austin also wouldn't hurt.
:lol

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 01:14 AM
He does not have NBA talent.
:wow

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 01:15 AM
guy couldnt make my high school team.
:lmao

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 01:16 AM
The Spurs were so excited about getting Viktor- even more excited than drafting Beno that year. Supposedly, he was the big Spurs steal of that draft.
:bang

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 01:18 AM
After having watched several games worth of both SEB and BBL ball, and realizing how poorly that reflects on how I spend my time,
:rollin

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
That'd be pretty awesome and would raise his chances of eventually making the NBA significantly.

He would play in the second level of Europe the Eurocup.

Longley
07-13-2009, 08:34 AM
http://www.eurobasket.com/Greece/basketball.asp?NewsID=165108

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 09:40 AM
http://www.eurobasket.com/Greece/basketball.asp?NewsID=165108

:lol He's destined for a 3 year, $73 million contract.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Like I said many months ago he had already was supposed to go to Greek club AEK Athens. If he does this will be good for him and Spurs. Greek League is second best or best domestic league in Europe so we will find out much better how much game he has.

objective
07-13-2009, 02:23 PM
does AEK play in anything beyond domestic greek league?

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-13-2009, 03:52 PM
does AEK play in anything beyond domestic greek league?

No I do not think they do. They are in a transition time this year and last year because of the new ownership. The owners have restricted the club to playing only in Greece. It still does not matter. Greek league is better than the Baltic League which was the international league he was playing in last year.

So even just playing in Greece only is still quite a jump in level. If he goes back to French League it is a drop in level. Baltic League is better than French League.

mystargtr34
07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
No I do not think they do. They are in a transition time this year and last year because of the new ownership. The owners have restricted the club to playing only in Greece. It still does not matter. Greek league is better than the Baltic League which was the international league he was playing in last year.

So even just playing in Greece only is still quite a jump in level. If he goes back to French League it is a drop in level. Baltic League is better than French League.

Part of their transition was their recent upgrade in their basketball facilities.

http://ofinterest.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/dsc00012.jpg

timvp
07-13-2009, 10:53 PM
D-League > Greek League

TDMVPDPOY
07-13-2009, 11:18 PM
D-League > Greek League

slamball ftw

nick23
07-14-2009, 02:43 AM
Training Camp starts 20 JULY

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-14-2009, 08:04 AM
D-League > Greek League

:lol:blah:rollin:lmao:rolleyes

Yes a league where NBA 6th men Pargo and Childress struggle is not as good as the D-League. :rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

callo1
08-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Too many people here that haven't actually seen him in action making judgements about his game. I have seen this guy in action in the SL and he isn't bad at all. I am not saying that he is NBA ready, but he has a skill set that make him a darn good NBDL player. Yes, he is frail in both his upper and lower body compared to many NBA players, but he has a decent stroke, has good quickness, decent ball handling and great hustle on the court.

He was the bright spot of the SL league in '07 until he got injured in my opinion. I would be suprised if this guy doesn't get a shot at the NBDL soon.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Latest report is that Latvian club VEF Riga offered him a contract. This would be a nice step up in level for him. He would play in Baltic League and Eurocup.

nick23
08-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Georgian NT have Friendly matches with Holland and Austria , at Holland Geo NT loose both game ! and with Austria they win 1 game and today is second game :)
http://live.oebl.at/traiskirchen/live.htm < stats :)
Sanikidze get Double Double 11pts 12reb :)

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Once again KBP was correct.

He signed with Latvian club VEF Riga. A nice step up in level for him. He will play in Baltic League which is 6th best regional league in Europe and Eurocup which is 2nd best international league (the level below Euroleague). So this should help give much better information on what his level is.

http://www.krepsinis.net/news.php?news_id=115924

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-09-2009, 11:18 PM
I check and VEF Riga must beat Greek club Panellinios to qualify for Eurocup. So actually Sanikidze will not play in Eurocup level next year. No way will his team beat Panellinios. So it seem he is not moving to a higher level.

Apparently he will never amount to much.

Bruno
08-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Sanikidze should sign in Italy with Virtus Bologna:
http://forums.interbasket.net/f11/summer-signings-and-rumors-vol-v-10611/p11.html

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Sanikidze should sign in Italy with Virtus Bologna:
http://forums.interbasket.net/f11/summer-signings-and-rumors-vol-v-10611/p11.html

Hopefully this is true for him. Italian league is much higher level.

ChumpDumper
08-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Once again KBP was correct.

He signed with Latvian club VEF Riga. A nice step up in level for him. He will play in Baltic League which is 6th best regional league in Europe and Eurocup which is 2nd best international league (the level below Euroleague). So this should help give much better information on what his level is.

http://www.krepsinis.net/news.php?news_id=115924Once again, KBP was wrong.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-14-2009, 02:19 AM
Once again, KBP was wrong.

Hey dumb fuck his deal was already SIGNED but it fell through because of a physical. So STFU once again.

ChumpDumper
08-14-2009, 02:23 AM
So you were wrong.

Once again.

mountainballer
08-14-2009, 05:27 AM
Once again KBP was corrected.

fixed it.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-15-2009, 06:15 PM
He signed with Virtus. Big jump for him. Now he will play in what is probably third best domestic league in Europe in current time in Italy.

ChumpDumper
08-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the scoop.

nick23
08-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Yesterday Georgian Win 117-73
Viktor Get Double-Double 15 PTS 15 REB
http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/cid_toT,ovGDH2EaLKL67XnPo2.gameID_6333-C-11-6.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2009.roundI D_6333.teamID_.html

Bruno
08-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Sanikdize has played 4 official games with Georgia this summer (they will play 2 more games).

In these 4 games he averages 15.8 pts and an unreal 14.3 rbds in 33.3 mpg.

I'm quite curious to see what he will do in Italy next year. Keep in mind that he is still a quite young player. For example, he is one year younger than McClinton.

nick23
08-31-2009, 04:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blbGqez1_84 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blbGqez1_84)

8G 32.8 M : 18,6 pts , 11,1 REB , 2,9 AS

wildbill2u
08-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Looks a lot stronger than he used to. Guess he's finally growing into his body. The question is has he got enough time to mature his BB in his new league. He really hasn't played all that much because of injuries, has he?

Maybe someone ouught to move this thread to the regular forum. It doesn't get much play over here

Kill_Bill_Pana
09-09-2009, 03:56 PM
http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/cid_toT,ovGDH2EaLKL67XnPo2.teamID_2187.compID_qMRZ dYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2009.roundID_6379.player ID_45506.html

Georgia won promotion from division B to division A. Sanikidze was the best player of the whole tournament.

He has taken his game up about three whole levels in this tournament. There is much hope for him yet.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm glad he's moving up in competitions in pro and FIBA ball. It will be much easier to gauge his worth.

nick23
09-17-2009, 11:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4cPi60RvNY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgZLIsLqfMc

http://www.virtus.it/include/..%5CGallery%5C1099%5C001.jpg

http://www.virtus.it/include/..%5CGallery%5C1099%5C003.jpg

Bruno
09-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the videos.

An article about him (in Italian):
http://www.virtus.it/SPNewsDettaglio.asp?ID=6606

What is interesting is that he sees Virtus as a step to go in the NBA.

Bruno
10-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Sanikdize is having a good preseason with Virtus.
A full and solid season with them could do wonders for his development.

objective
11-13-2009, 03:51 AM
fwiw, he had a game saving block that was the #1 play in the top ten highlights for the week about 10 days ago.

http://www.legabaskettv.it/watch/c92e6d7493423d729448/La-Top-Ten-della-4a-giornata

Russ
11-14-2009, 12:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4cPi60RvNY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgZLIsLqfMc

http://www.virtus.it/include/..%5CGallery%5C1099%5C001.jpg

http://www.virtus.it/include/..%5CGallery%5C1099%5C003.jpg

He looks like Brent Barry with a beard.

objective
11-16-2009, 04:43 PM
12 points and 15 boards a couple of days ago in a win. Also had two dunks make the highlight reel of the game at legabasket.tv

FlAVaK
11-17-2009, 09:08 AM
12 points and 15 boards a couple of days ago in a win. Also had two dunks make the highlight reel of the game at legabasket.tv
He is No.13 on the black team.
2 dunks at the end of this clip (http://www.legabaskettv.it/watch/d6331e03a2a1f1646634/Cimberio-Va-Virtus-Bo)
Nice athleticism!

objective
11-19-2009, 04:25 PM
those 2 dunks made the weekly top 10 plays at #s 2 and 4.

His last game was bad, severely limited play time due to foul trouble.

Blackjack
12-04-2009, 02:03 AM
An Update on Viktor Sanikidze
by Timothy Varner

48MoH reader and Italian league season ticket holder Nicola Mezzadri submits this report on former Spurs draft pick Viktor Sanikidze, a player I once described as the Keyser Soze of international hoops.

Viktor Sanikidze is the prototypical eastern European combo forward–lanky, fairly athletic and high-energy. He was also a teenager a lot of European and NBA scouts were high on, and with good reason, given his steady fundamentals, speed running the floor and hustle. But this was in his previous life, the one he used to live before multiple knee injuries sabotaged his career and forced him to lose the entire 2007-08 season..

- Read More - (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/12/03/an-update-on-viktor-sanikidze/)

benefactor
12-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Good to see Viktor making some progress. Hopefully he makes it over for the SL next year so we can get a better feel for him.

objective
12-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Viktor is spoken about briefly during a Blazer fansite's interview with former Blazers 1st rounder Petteri Kopponen :

8. It's also interesting to see Georgian forward Viktor Sanikidze (6-9, 1986) to play in Virtus Bologna with you. You guys have similar backgrounds - you both are the best players of your age group in small country and both of you have been drafted to the NBA (Sanikidze is a 2006 San Antonio Spurs 2nd round draft pick). Do you guys talk about your possible NBA future a lot?

Yeah, I played against Viktor in U18 and U20 European Championship games a few years ago and we talked a bit there as well. In 2006, Viktor had a monster game when Georgia beat Finland in U20 Division B semi-finals and he just keeps talking about that game (laughter). It's easier for me now to have another young European in the team with me. Domestic players hang out with their familiers and local friends a lot and American players spend their free time with each other, so it's great to have a guy like Victor around. Viktor brings attitude and strenght off the bench and helps us with interior defense and rebound a lot. Of course we talk about the NBA but right now we just concentrate on playing in Virtus Bologna.

12-22-09 post date (http://www.blazersedge.com/2009/12/22/1213281/petteri-koponen-addresses-changing#storyjump)

objective
01-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Sanikidze's team has a new sponsor. Now if you're trying to find results for him, Virtus Bologna is now Canadian Solar Bologna.

Blackjack
01-22-2010, 01:22 PM
An Interview with Viktor Sanikidze
by Timothy Varner

Nicola Mezzadri recently met with Viktor Sanikidze on behalf of 48MoH. Nicola met Viktor in Cremona on the evening before the game against the local Vanoli team.

As 48MoH reported in early December (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/12/03/an-update-on-viktor-sanikidze/), Sanikidze is playing for Italian powerhouse Virtus Bologna in the Italian league and has become a fan’s favorite there with his high energy game off the bench.

Outside the court, however, Sanikidze presents himself as a nice, silent and polite guy, willing to spend some 30 minutes with us and share the occasional good laugh.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/22/an-interview-with-viktor-sanikidze/#more-6107)

Blackjack
01-22-2010, 01:51 PM
NM (Interviewer): And apart from stats, you impacted the game with little things, deflections, hard D, good help D. Your help D in particular, you played great help D in a couple of possessions. Is that something that comes natural to you?

VS: (Viktor Sanikidze) I think you have to start from something you have in you in order to improve, but I am putting a lot of effort in order to improve these facets of my game. As you said I am not always shooting a lot, so I am trying to be more involved in the game with help D and these things, you know, just try to fill the spots, so even when you don’t shoot, do something else, you just try to be useful for the team.

NM: And that’s a big thing about your game, you don’t need the ball in your hands all the time to be effective.

VS: Exactly, you can’t have it all the time, so you have to do something.
Imagine that (I'm sure RJ's aware of this)...

NM: What’s about your future?

VS: I have a 2+1 years contract, with an NBA escape clause at the end of the second year. I feel really good here in Bologna… [HESITATES]

NM: Let’s forget he [Virtus’ Team Manager] is here…

VS: [LAUGHS] He’s my friend first and then he works for Virtus, so… Seriously, I really like this place and this organization, a club with such history, it was my dream to come here, so as of now I see my future here, I would not leave even for top Euroleague teams such as Barcelona or Real Madrid, I don’t feel there is a huge difference with Virtus. I would only leave for the NBA.

NM: Do you think about the NBA?

VS: Of course I think about NBA. That’s my dream.

NM: Do you have contacts with the Spurs organization?

VS: Yes I have contacts with them.

NM: Is there a possibility to see you in next year’s Summer League?

VS: I think so, they already invited me a couple of years, so maybe I’ll be there.
He really is an intriguing prospect and someone that could really be a useful member of a supporting cast if he panned out.

Hopefully he makes it over for the SL and he gets a real opportunity,

benefactor
01-22-2010, 01:57 PM
As far as build goes, he and Casspi are not much different...and Casspi seems to be adjusting well to the NBA. His ball handling will probably make him or break him at the NBA level. I really hope we can get a look at him this summer.

Bruno
01-22-2010, 02:01 PM
He really is an intriguing prospect and someone that could really be a useful member of a supporting cast if he panned out.

Well, he is 23 years and average 7/5 in Italian league (not the best one in Europe). Calling him intriguing is quite a reach.

Blackjack
01-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Well, he is 23 years and average 7/5 in Italian league (not the best one in Europe). Calling him intriguing is quite a reach.

How do you figure?

Would you prefer a different word?

Someone that presents the attributes he has and that can affect the game in so many ways, is something I view as intriguing (as it pertains to how they could be utilized with the Spurs).

Of course, this is contingent on him actually panning out (unlikely) but it's intriguing to think what it could mean for him and the Spurs if he should happen to.

Bruno
01-22-2010, 02:15 PM
How do you figure?

Would you prefer a different word?

Someone that presents the attributes he has and that can affect the game in so many ways, is something I view as intriguing (as it pertains to how they could be utilized with the Spurs).

Of course, this is contingent on him actually panning out (unlikely) but it's intriguing to think what it could mean for him and the Spurs if he should happen to.

I would use the marginal word for him.

There are dozens of more intriguing players in Europe than him.

Blackjack
01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
My interest is in the position, size and potential to help a team as a glueguy. He's not intriguing to me in that he's a potential star or pretty high-level player, just that he has attributes that could help a team like the Spurs; I'm not saying he's going to pan out, or, if he does, he'd be some kind of real diamond in the rough.

Bruno
01-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Well, he is still young so he can there is still hope but I think that his chances to be one day signed by Spurs is in the 1% area.

It's still great for him that he has been able to be back at a good level in Europe after all his injuries.

Blackjack
01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah, it's hard not to root for the guy after all he's been through and how well he comes off in interviews.

nick23
01-28-2010, 12:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4cPi60RvNY&feature=related it's viktors alley oop dunk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blbGqez1_84&feature=relate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgZLIsLqfMc&feature=channel

mogrovejo
04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
There's a rumour he'll sign with Real Madrid very soon.

Bruno
04-13-2010, 05:27 PM
It's surprising to see him going to a that big team.

Madrid's GM worked for Spurs last year. I guess he knows very well Sanikidze and that's why they choose him.

yavozerb
04-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Do you guys consider this a good move or not? How has he played this season? and it seems like this move will be the one to either get him to the nba (if he plays well) or will be his ticket for a career in europe (if he does not).

Ditty
04-15-2010, 01:58 AM
i asked him on his facebook if he is going to play for the spurs next year and he just replied "haven't heard nothing yet, well see this summer" doesnt sound too good hes a okay player but we picked him over trevor ariza is the only thing that has bothered me

objective
05-26-2011, 04:44 AM
Sanikidze's season is over, Bologna lost 3-1 to Hairston's Siena team.

Sanikidze goes out with 13 and 8, 3-3 on threes. In the playoffs he averaged 7 pts and 9.5 rebounds in 31 mpg. 46.2% from 2, 57.1% from 3. 50% total fg%.

Sanikidze made the Italian league All-Star game this year as a reserve. In the regular season he averaged 22 mpg, 7.7 pts, 6.8 rebounds. 61.9% from 2, 36.2% from 3. 52.7% total fg%.

Realistically due to the lockout I don't imagine that Sanikidze is even an option. Even if the Spurs wanted him I doubt he'd wait out a work stoppage to sign a contract.

FWIW Jeff McDonald had posted in a comment section at the express that Sanikidze was no longer listed amongst Spurs rights-held players from the official sources. This was in response to a poster that pointed out his absence from a McDonald rights-held piece. McDonald did say he would investigate to find out why, but in the weeks that followed I never saw any update; I presume McDonald just went back to drinking and forgot about old Sanikidze.

I still would like to have Sanikidze be a Spur. He's a role player, but he plays his role with passion. He'd only be an 8th-12th man realistically, but he'd play his role to his utmost. He's rebuilt his career nicely, having to start over in the Georgian league to up in Estonia to now an Italian league all-star. I think he'd make a positive impact for SA and does have legit 'smallball 4' size and rebounding/shotblocking skills, and can spread the floor with his funky shot. Maybe can play the 3 depending on matchups.

Instead we'll be stuck with lazy paid Richard Jefferson and flustered Matt Bonner.

Joy.

objective
06-27-2011, 01:02 AM
fwiw, Sanikidze was named to the All-Defense team in the Italian league.

ChuckD
06-27-2011, 06:57 AM
He and DeColo should get together and go bowling.

ace3g
09-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Here are Viktor's stats for 2011 Eurobasket:
http://www.eurobasket2011.com/en/cid_4,w7QjPeH-M,ty138LH2l3.teamID_2187.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf 9le2.season_2011.roundID_7526.playerID_45506.html

He will play tomorrow on ESPN3
Thu, Sep 08, 8:30 AM
Georgia vs. Macedonia (Second Round)

stnick2261
09-07-2011, 11:57 PM
^^ Good rebounding

ace3g
09-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Viktor and Georgia are in a close game right now: tied at 63 with 16 sec left in the 4th: http://live.fibaeurope.com/www/Game.aspx?acc=1&gameID=9788&lng=en

Bo McCalebb hit the game winning shot for Macedonia (looks like he was a 1 man offense today).

Viktor had 15 pts and 7 boards

TimmehC
09-08-2011, 02:04 PM
I was encouraged until KBP praised him.

Anonymous Cowherd
09-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Does look like he's been having a very good tournament.

Bruno
09-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Sanikidze stats are a little misleading on his level. He plays very hard and is a good athlete for an Euro but aside of that, there are very almost nothing left. He can't shoot, dribble, pass, post up...

Sanikidze is a fun guy to watch and it's great that he is able to play at that level after all his injuries but he is nowhere near the NBA level.

The Great Fantastic
09-09-2011, 03:13 PM
http://finchannel.com/Main_News/Sport/94041_NBA,_a_Goal_for_Viktor_Sanikidze/

I had quite a good season this year, and I had a chance to play in the USA but NBA announced Lockout, it’s a kind of strike and until February I’ll not have a chance to play there, however I am still in contact with one of the NBA teams,” Sanikidze said.

Sounds like Viktor thinks he might be NBA bound when the NBA resumes. Interesting.

ace3g
09-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Georgia is playing Finland right now: http://live.fibaeurope.com/www/Game.aspx?acc=1&gameID=9792&lng=en

Viktor has 10 pts and 4 boards currently

Anonymous Cowherd
09-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Georgia's best player again today.

objective
01-07-2012, 12:21 AM
italian league contract ends 6/30

statistically he's been having a very good year in Italy, though the little I've seen of him I thought he looked like he might have lost a step defensively. He does play a heavy amount of minutes for euro ball, 31.5 per game.

So far, his individual stats and league ranks:

13.9 points (19th in the league)
10.2 rebounds (1st, leading the league; 1st in defensive rebounds, 5th offensive; 4th in the league adjusted per 40 minutes)
0.8 blocks (8th; 19th adjusted per 40)
50.4 % from the field
38.9 % from 3 on 4.2 attempts per game (18th in the league % wise)

Buddy Holly
01-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Damn, he looks old now.

CGD
01-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Sounds like if he was ever going to come over, I'd be this summer.

venitian navigator
01-11-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm looking at him now, playing in the italian league...just a frst impression, but looks not bad at all...

Bruno
02-15-2012, 06:34 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/SportandoBasket/status/169707242126454784

San Antonio Spurs scouts Dennis Lindsey and Claudio Crippa will be in Turin in weekend for Italian Cup Final Eight to watch Viktor Sanikidze

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-15-2012, 10:07 AM
!!!

CGD
02-15-2012, 10:32 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/SportandoBasket/status/169707242126454784

Great find! In your opinion, any other standouts that they may keep an eye on during that tournament?

TimmehC
02-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Great find! In your opinion, any other standouts that they may keep an eye on during that tournament?

Hairston and Brontosaurus play for Milan, and David Andersen(:lol) plays for Siena.

Bruno
02-15-2012, 02:24 PM
There are a lot of players to scout for either the draft or the free agency because it's a tournament with the 8 best teams in Italy.

I don't really see a great draft prospect in these teams worth a first round pick but there are some serious candidates for second round picks. I don't really follow Italian league so it's possible I missed someone. Regarding vet players, the best is likely Bo McCalleb who was as good as Parker this summer with Macedonia.

Sanikidze rebounding stats are just amazing for a player with his physical attribute. He is a great proof that hustle and a good motor can do wonders in that area.

CGD
02-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks -- I always appreciate the info on foreign prospects. Plus, more fuel to the speculation that RJ will be amnestied this summer :-)

On another note, I'm curious about how NBA teams assess foreign player rights. In sports like football (soccer), 2nd division reserves on affiliates get moved all the time, but that's largely because the club owns the player card. For the NBA with its free agency system, the closest thing they have to selling/buying prospects along these lines is with foreign player rights.

So I look at a guy like Sandikidze and wonder if instead of stashing him in the hopes he plays for the Spurs, he wouldn't be best used to flip for a higher 2nd round pick, rights to another foreign player, or packaged in a trade. I just don't think the NBA has that culture yet.

BackHome
02-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Hey Bruno what do you think of Tomas Satoransky- PG/SG...can he play point in the NBA?

Darkwaters
02-17-2012, 03:46 AM
So I look at a guy like Sandikidze and wonder if instead of stashing him in the hopes he plays for the Spurs, he wouldn't be best used to flip for a higher 2nd round pick, rights to another foreign player, or packaged in a trade. I just don't think the NBA has that culture yet.

I think the more likely answer is that the ship has sailed on Sanikidze and hes non longer a factor in any conversation. If you offered up his name in trade discussions most other team's GM's would say, "who?"

Thats just reality.

Bruno
02-17-2012, 04:30 AM
Hey Bruno what do you think of Tomas Satoransky- PG/SG...can he play point in the NBA?

I like him a lot. He is a fluid and complete player with a very good athletic level. From what I've seen of him, he doesn't strike me as a player who could or should play PG.

CGD
02-18-2012, 03:04 PM
So when is he playing?

Bruno
02-18-2012, 06:32 PM
So when is he playing?

He played Thursday (9pts, 8rbds in 33 min). His team lost and is out of this tournament since it's a 8 team single game elimination tournament.

CGD
02-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks; I'm curious to see what positive impressions, if any, he made.

biziofromdowntown
02-19-2012, 06:57 AM
hes game n stats r going down with the season, he's playing too much minutes. Not NBA metrial at all IMO

yavozerb
02-19-2012, 09:38 AM
hes game n stats r going down with the season, he's playing too much minutes. Not NBA metrial at all IMO

I disagree..As an 10-15 minute 6'8 sf that brings energy to the floor and plays hard on every play of course he can make it in the NBA. If you are expecting alot of offense game from Sanikidze then yes, you will be dissappointed.

BackHome
02-20-2012, 10:02 PM
So he is a white version of Kawhi.......I can live with that.

objective
02-20-2012, 11:51 PM
a comparison I would make for him is a much better rebounding, passionate Anthony Tolliver.

Hustle player, mediocre-to-average 3pt shot, fills a solid role.

I've posted before that I'd like to see him signed and still feel that way.

jjktkk
02-21-2012, 06:07 PM
I can assure you he is better than Danny Green and Anderson are.

:lol

BOHOLANO#21
02-27-2012, 01:31 PM
I can assure you he is better than Danny Green and Anderson are.

Fuck you KBP!!! You suck as talent evaluator.. What did you say about Splitter? That's what i thought....

lmbebo
03-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Emiliano Carchia ‏ @SportandoBaske (https://twitter.com/#%21/SportandoBasket)tSanikidze: 'My dream is to play in the NBA. If I can't I would like to play in Euroleague. I am ready to stay with Bologna if we reach EL'

Emiliano Carchia ‏ @SportandoBasket (https://twitter.com/#%21/SportandoBasket)[/URL][URL="https://twitter.com/#"] (https://twitter.com/#) (https://twitter.com/#)

Viktor Sanikidze released the statement to Il Corriere di Bologna

BackHome
03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Well you can put a fork into us getting him now that we signed Jackson.

Penya
05-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Italian Serie A MVP Top 3: Bo McCalebb, David Andersen, Viktor Sanikidze.

Sanikidze has averaged 12p & 11r this season.

CGD
05-12-2012, 10:51 AM
When do we learn who was invited to summer camp? Seems like this guys should get a look for the "project" slot, especially since Anderson is on his way out.

BackHome
05-12-2012, 11:36 AM
I am pretty sure that Adam Hanga will be taking over Andersons slot...

CGD
05-12-2012, 12:09 PM
I am pretty sure that Adam Hanga will be taking over Andersons slot...

Nah, Anderson is gone this summer, and Hanga is still a few years away as many on this forum have noted. I think the Spurs will want to carry a project wing player next year to see if there is anything there.

Spurs will have to make interesting (and tough) decisions about Manu and SJax in 2013, and it behooves them to bring in a project player they can start molding in case in the worst case scenario that both of those players are gone after next season. Viktor's length is interesting. His build reminds me of Casspi.

BackHome
05-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Yeah but can we sign him and Diaw..lol. I know they won't bring Adam over next season but the one after that I bet he gets signed by the Spurs..

Biggems
05-19-2012, 09:52 AM
If we are able to sign everyone else I want, would we have enough juice to sign Sani? sign Diaw, sign Mills, sign de Colo, sign Lorbek.....finally sign Blair and Anderson and trade them to NJ for Humphries. If there is enough left, sign Sani

C - Splitter, Humphries, Bonner
PF - Duncan, Diaw, Lorbek
SF - Leonard, Jackson, Sani
SG - Green, Manu, Neal
PG - Parker, Mills, de Colo

As far as Joseph goes, keep him in the DL or trade him for a 2nd and cash to the likes of Miami, they need PGs.

bluebellmaniac
05-19-2012, 11:42 AM
If we are able to sign everyone else I want, would we have enough juice to sign Sani? sign Diaw, sign Mills, sign de Colo, sign Lorbek.....finally sign Blair and Anderson and trade them to NJ for Humphries. If there is enough left, sign Sani

C - Splitter, Humphries, Bonner
PF - Duncan, Diaw, Lorbek
SF - Leonard, Jackson, Sani
SG - Green, Manu, Neal
PG - Parker, Mills, de Colo

As far as Joseph goes, keep him in the DL or trade him for a 2nd and cash to the likes of Miami, they need PGs.

Doesn't the new CBA pretty eliminate sign and trades? If you sign a player, they can't be traded for 3 months.... or something like that.

CGD
06-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Any word if this guy is coming over for a work out like Hanga and Bartens?

yavozerb
06-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Any word if this guy is coming over for a work out like Hanga and Bartens?

Put a fork in him, his days as a possible Spur are done...

timvp
07-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Looks like our ol' friend Sanikidze is signing with Mens Sana Siena. Not sure if this is an upgrade, downgrade or lateral move but it sounded like he had quite a number of teams after him. Too bad this probably keeps him off of summer league and lessens the chances that he'll ever even get a training camp invite with the Spurs.

http://www.sportando.net/eng/italy/serie-a/40715/mens-sana-siena-close-to-viktor-sanikidze.html

Bruno
07-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Siena is the best team in Italy and a top10 team in Europe, so it's a quite big upgrade for Sanikidze.

timvp
07-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the info. Sanikidze is still only 26 so if he explodes over the next year or two, he could re-enter the Spurs picture.

Libri
07-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Checked his stats from last season and his rebounding is impressive, 11 per game. Plus, he was getting major minutes, 32+. It looks like he's on his way up.

ace3g
07-08-2012, 07:54 PM
I guess while we are talking about him, can post some recent vids of him:

XvXJzV6JSYk

obSaqwFvWSQ

yavozerb
07-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Guy might have finally got his head right... Reggie Evans type player in my opinion.

admiralsnackbar
07-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Guy might have finally got his head right... Reggie Evans type player in my opinion.

Really? Never heard he was a headcase, but I guess there are lots of things I haven't heard :toast

Also, while I defer to you since I assume you've seen him play beyond the youtubes I've watched, I never seen/read/heard anything to suggest he was as one-dimensional as Evans.

yavozerb
07-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Really? Never heard he was a headcase, but I guess there are lots of things I haven't heard :toast

Also, while I defer to you since I assume you've seen him play beyond the youtubes I've watched, I never seen/read/heard anything to suggest he was as one-dimensional as Evans.

All you have to do is watch 1 game and you will see that his offensive game is limited to put backs and cuts to the basket for dunks. That is 90% of his offensive game with the occasional jump shot when all else fails. What have you seen/read/heard to think otherwise?

Mel_13
07-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Looks like our ol' friend Sanikidze is signing with Mens Sana Siena. Not sure if this is an upgrade, downgrade or lateral move but it sounded like he had quite a number of teams after him. Too bad this probably keeps him off of summer league and lessens the chances that he'll ever even get a training camp invite with the Spurs.

http://www.sportando.net/eng/italy/serie-a/40715/mens-sana-siena-close-to-viktor-sanikidze.html

MBS TV reports that Mens Sana Siena will play two games in US in October against Spurs and Cavaliers

https://twitter.com/SportandoBasket

pad300
07-09-2012, 10:52 AM
[/B]

All you have to do is watch 1 game and you will see that his offensive game is limited to put backs and cuts to the basket for dunks. That is 90% of his offensive game with the occasional jump shot when all else fails. What have you seen/read/heard to think otherwise?

The fact that he took 3.9 three-pointers per game in Italy last season (more than 40% of his shots). Now he only made 30.2%, but that appears to be a bit of a down year for him - the last 2 years he hit 37% +. (This may be a result of a deliberate change in shot selection; this was an unusually high number of 3 pt attempts for him).

admiralsnackbar
07-09-2012, 12:49 PM
[/B]

Didn't have any evidence to counter your assertion -- I'd just never encountered any to support it, hence the question. Thanks for the explanation.

yavozerb
07-09-2012, 12:49 PM
The fact that he took 3.9 three-pointers per game in Italy last season (more than 40% of his shots). Now he only made 30.2%, but that appears to be a bit of a down year for him - the last 2 years he hit 37% +. (This may be a result of a deliberate change in shot selection; this was an unusually high number of 3 pt attempts for him).

I have seen most of his games with Georgia in 2011 and none this season with his italian club, but I can assure you that 3 pt shooting is not one his strengths currently. The guy is a gritty player who will battle the boards, play solid defense, and provide lots of energy for his team...

BackHome
07-11-2012, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=yavozerb;6015816]I have seen most of his games with Georgia in 2011 and none this season with his italian club, but I can assure you that 3 pt shooting is not one his strengths currently. So he is like Boner in this regard

The guy is a gritty player who will battle the boards, play solid defense, and provide lots of energy for his team...The exact opposite of Boner..

ace3g
08-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Sanikidze is in the same tournament that Bertans and Hanga are playing in:

http://www.eurobasket2013.org/en/cid_8Xfg3jZMG1QuJnp6pnUWd3.teamID_2187.compID_qMRZ dYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2013.roundID_8721.player ID_45506.html

http://www.fibaeurope.com/files/%7B3C470889-9CC1-4776-BFA2-5CB5F93B331A%7Dflexible.jpg

ace3g
09-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Sanikidze's team - Montepaschi Siena is playing right now:

live box score

http://195.56.77.56/n4/?itascup_1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A3llyfkCMAAB3MW.jpg:large

objective
01-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Just a general update, 15 games into the Italian league and 14 into Euroleague. I've not watched him this season, but here are the numbers anyway.

Judging by a number of stats, Sanikidze has a different role for Sienna than he did for Bologna. Instead of over 32 minutes a game, he's down to 21. Instead of 3.9 three point shots a game, he's down to 1.3.

Italian League:

21 mpg
7.4 pts
62.8% from 2
42.1% from 3
5.8 rebounds

His rebounds are down. Instead of being top 5 in rebounds per 40 like he was last year iirc, he's now 14th in the league for rebounds per 40.

Euroleague

Sienna is in the round of 16. 4-0 so far in this round. The stats for all phases of Euroleague:

19.5 mpg
6 pts
47.1% from two
35.7% from three
6.1 rebounds

Sanikidze is 7th in the Euroleague for rebounds per 40 minutes.

CGD
01-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the update. Not so sure the ship has sailed on this guy coming over so it's good to keep tabs.

ace3g
01-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Sanikidze just RT this pic:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BBSf49ACYAAdflm.jpg:large

Mel_13
01-25-2013, 07:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HaRoSGwoQ6s

CGD
01-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Dude is balding like a champ!!

objective
04-14-2013, 06:00 PM
He's a free agent this summer and as a back-up combo forward, mostly a smallball 4, he might be useful on a small contract now that Jackson won't be brought back. He'd bring some passion as a back-up, a mediocre 3 point shooter, but still a good rebounder.

He's top 5 in Euroleague for rebounds per 40. Garbage from 3 in euroleague at 23%, but shoots 42% in the Italian league.

ABC
04-16-2013, 01:07 PM
He's a free agent this summer and as a back-up combo forward, mostly a smallball 4, he might be useful on a small contract now that Jackson won't be brought back. He'd bring some passion as a back-up, a mediocre 3 point shooter, but still a good rebounder.

He's top 5 in Euroleague for rebounds per 40. Garbage from 3 in euroleague at 23%, but shoots 42% in the Italian league.

I like Sanikidze, but I think/hope there will be better options.

Libri
04-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Do the Spurs still have his phone #?

Bruno
04-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Do the Spurs still have his phone #?

Well, I think the only phone number from their picks stashed in Europe they have kept is Bertans' number.

pad300
04-16-2013, 07:52 PM
You think they've dropped Hanga?

exstatic
04-16-2013, 11:02 PM

Doubtful, since they brought both over last summer for workouts.

Bruno
04-17-2013, 04:10 AM

They likely still have some calls or visits with other players like Hanga or Denmon but I think the only player they project as potentially being a Spur in the future is Bertans.

bluebellmaniac
04-17-2013, 07:51 AM
They likely still have some calls or visits with other players like Hanga or Denmon but I think the only player they project as potentially being a Spur in the future is Bertans.

Bruno, you are shattering the dreams of every Spurs fan on ST... it's their dream that every Spur pick stashed in Europe will be the difference in earning the next championship. Say it isn't so!!!!

yavozerb
04-17-2013, 11:53 AM
As I have stated before I disagree with bruno's assessment of Hanga. I believe he is very much involved in the spurs plans for the furture and could possibly come over as early as next season (doubtful, more likely in 2 seasons). Bertans is no doubt there top overseas prospect but I believe Hanga's game is much better suited for the NBA's game than Europe.

ace3g
08-01-2013, 03:11 PM

Considering 6 Spurs players will be playing for their NT this summer, I'm sure Sanikidze will play for Georgia NT; maybe the Spurs will evaluate some of the SF talent including Sanikidze during various FIBA events in August/September and see if anyone catches their eye.

ace3g
08-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Vitkor Sanikidze is unlikely to stay with Montepaschi Siena next season too, as per La Nazione. The Georgian forward spent last season with the club from Tuscany.
http://www.sportando.net/eng/italy/serie-a/61434/siena-set-to-re-sign-ben-ortner-viktor-sanikidze-to-leave.html

Bruno
08-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Siena is in deep financial troubles. They have cut by 50% their payroll compared to last season.

venitian navigator
08-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Looks like he played another more than decent game.
Any chance spurs are gonna take a look at him ?

Chinook
08-17-2013, 12:09 AM
I think it's possible. After all, he does still have the right to force them to give him a contract.

Chinook
08-17-2013, 12:11 AM
And, wow, he's only 27 years old? He could definitely be a Gelabale-like signing.

exstatic
08-17-2013, 06:48 AM
I think it's possible. After all, he does still have the right to force them to give him a contract.

It can be completely unguaranteed if he tries to force the issue, and they'll just cut him in camp. He's not carrying a big stick.

jyra
08-17-2013, 09:48 AM
You can see him play against the Frenchies today. It will definitely be a good test for him to go up against NBA level athletes. Let's see if the strong shooting and rebounding holds up against longer, quicker defenders.

Chinook
08-17-2013, 12:08 PM
It can be completely unguaranteed if he tries to force the issue, and they'll just cut him in camp. He's not carrying a big stick.

Sure, but he actually has some stock now. He could easily be the best combo-forward the team can find at this point. If he wants to use this off-season as his shot to get to the NBA, I don't think the Spurs will stop him.

ABC
08-17-2013, 12:49 PM
And, wow, he's only 27 years old? He could definitely be a Gelabale-like signing.

I couldn't find the quote, but I believe Bruno has questioned the accuracy of his reported age in the past.

Libri
08-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Looks like he played another more than decent game.
Any chance spurs are gonna take a look at him ?

We keep asking this question for the last nine years. :lol

ace3g
08-28-2013, 03:41 PM
David Pick @IAmDPick
(http://twitter.com/IAmDPick)@ace3g (http://twitter.com/ace3g) Sanikidze is not returning to Siena.

Sounds like he has an offer somewhere, guess we will find out in a few days

http://www.corrieredisiena.it/notizie/mercato-mens-sana-per-viktor-sanikidze-ce-unallett/007464

Bruno
08-28-2013, 06:46 PM
From what I've read, Sanikidze is still under contract next season with Siena but they are willing to let him go for free. Reasons of that is they are really looking at cutting their payroll, Sanikdize is expensive (€400K) and he hasn't been good in his first year with them.

The issue is to find a team willing to pay Sanikidze a similar contract to his previous one. There aren't that much teams who could pay these kind of salaries for a player that is, at best, a solid role player. Siena hasn't been able to find a taker for Sanikidze's contract for two months but maybe some very good games with Georgia would convince a rich team to take it.

biziofromdowntown
08-29-2013, 12:31 PM
No, hell no. Not even good to play solid minutes in Siena.

ace3g
09-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Portion of interview with Sanikidze where he talks about his free agent status:

You will play at European Championship as free agent as you didn't accept new contract offer of Siena. I know that EuroBasket is currently the most important for you, but are you already thinking about new club season? Where would you like to play next season, do you have any favourite league?

All I'm thinking right now is the national team, I am focused at having great performances at the European Championship. I have had some offers and various interest from different teams and after the end of the championship I will decide based on what will be the best for my future and my career.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/European-Championships/news/Interview_with_Viktor_Sanikidze_%28Georgian_NT%29/331554
http://www.eurobasket.com/images/blank.gif

Drom John
09-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Drom John (Macon, GA)

How does Viktor Sanikidze project into the NBA?If Redhook Double Black Stout is a starter, then what would be the replacement level for coffee stouts?

Kevin Pelton

I only have Sanikidze's most recent season translated. Looks a little worse than replacement level.

ace3g
09-20-2013, 03:11 AM
Emiliano Carchia @SportandoBasket
(http://twitter.com/SportandoBasket)Viktor Sanikidze to CAI Zaragoza is a done deal sportando.net/eng/europe/spa… (http://t.co/UGdcOFMHfC)

mountainballer
09-20-2013, 05:29 AM
good for him. Zaragoza is a decent team that showed significant improvement over the last years. will be interesting to learn what kind of contract he got. for the Spurs the Sanikidze ship finally has sailed. would have been interesting to see what he can do in the NBA, but assuming he likely would have never made it out of the 3rd stringer pool, this is something I can absorb.

ace3g
09-30-2013, 10:22 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVLFa5dCQAAST-2.jpg:large

Team site:

http://www.basketzaragoza.net/

ace3g
08-11-2023, 09:39 PM
������❤️ | Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/CvzQUl3oP3B/?img_index=4)

adonis827
10-14-2023, 03:28 AM
Is Sanikidze Mamu's mentor?