PDA

View Full Version : International Prospect: James Gist

Pages : 1 [2]

DesignatedT
04-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Whats the current situation with Gist? Do we still own his rights for another year? Any news on him playing here for the summer or anything?

Anyone still think this guy has a chance?

DesignatedT
04-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Whats the current situation with Gist? Do we still own his rights for another year? Any news on him playing here for the summer or anything?

Mel_13
04-14-2010, 08:31 PM

The Spurs still own his rights and we'll probably see him on the SL team.

The next key date to retain the rights to Gist is September 6th. Teams must tender a contract offer to second round picks by that date in order to retain their rights.

The offer need not be anything more than a minimum contract with no guaranteed money. Gist has cooperated with the Spurs the last two years by declining the offer and playing overseas.

If a player accepts the offer, like McClinton did last year, the team must choose to keep him on the roster or cut him. Once the player is cut, he becomes a free agent.

So Gist has chosen to maintain ties with the Spurs for the past two seasons. It remains to be seen if this leads to a spot with the Spurs or another NBA team.

ace3g
05-03-2010, 03:21 AM
found some videos of him not sure how recent they are

http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?i=VHRVMGpLcWuRpb0V6ZG8&schiacciata-di-james-gist

http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?i=X0ZvcVFFcWuRpaTFhWWs&james-gist-monster-dunk-on-ebi

http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?i=V3V5Q1lscWuRpSWxpV2c&lottomatica-virtus-roma-angelico-biella-gara-5-quarti-di-finale-stoppata-di-james-gist-block

Bruno
05-03-2010, 05:47 AM
Gist stats:
http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=RUS&PlayerID=33863

It's impossible to judge a player by looking only at his stats but these are quite average ones.

coyotes_geek
05-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Between Hairston, Blair and the Spurs 1st round pick, there's already going to be enough SF-PF prospects on the roster. I just don't see a spot for Gist on this team any time soon, if ever.

Mr. Body
05-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I'd be very surprised if he ever saw the inside of a Spurs uniform.

Mr. Body
05-03-2010, 03:56 PM

AFBlue
05-03-2010, 05:28 PM

+1

Gist was a surprise in the '08 summer league, but he really failed to deliver and show consistency in his perimeter game last year. He'll probably get one last shot this summer to prove that '08 wasn't a fluke, but I don't know that it earns him a guaranteed spot on the roster.

Manufan909
05-13-2010, 03:04 AM
I don't like Gist's offensive game, but I do like the fact he can use this athletic ability to guard perimeter players and come from the weak side to block shots. On top of that running the floor.

Between hopefully healthy big 3, Richard Jefferson and George Hill (throw in DeJuan Blair, McDyess and hopefully Spliter as well) there will not be enough shots to go around for Gist to contribute on that end. But if Gist can come in for maybe a small ball 4 when the match ups call for it and play solid defense then I am all for him being the 6th big off the bench.

You ask Ian how much PT 6th big equals.:lol

EricB
05-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Different situation. Being a small ball 4 depending on matchups would make him valuable. That being said. Overrated from summer of 08. Hate his offensive game and just think he's too damn mediocre.

biziofromdowntown
05-13-2010, 12:41 PM
He's a good 3 point shooter and good defend on the rim, not for perimeter. I saw any games in russia and he's taking too few rebounds.

lurker23
06-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Bump.

From ShamSports summer signings:

http://blog.shamsports.com/2010/06/2010-summer-signings-part-4.html

There's lots of upheaval in Russia at the moment; the Superleague teams have all signed a pact vowing to break away from the current governing body, with whom they are thoroughly disenfranchised, and to begin running operations on their own. Amidst this upheaval, many players have left; Spartak also released James White (14.8/3.7) and Goran Suton (played 94 minutes all season). Additionally, Unics Kazan have released veteran Lithuanian jumpshooter Saulius Štombergas, and Lokomotiv Kuban have released their imports James Gist, Andre Owens and Gerald Green. It's probably fair to say that Green will not be returning to the Dallas Mavericks.

benefactor
06-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Another year on the SL roster perhaps?

Mr Bones
06-19-2010, 03:13 PM
:lol Just another classic example of exaggerated spurstalk homer expectations: Mahinmi is The Savior and possibly better than Bynum, Gist is better than Ron Artest, and Dejuan Blair=Wes Unseld.

MaNu4Tres
06-19-2010, 03:16 PM
:lol Just another classic example of exaggerated spurstalk homer expectations: Mahinmi is The Savior and possibly better than Bynum, Gist is better than Ron Artest, and Dejuan Blair=Wes Unseld.

Just curious...

Who has said Mahinmi is a savior and better than Bynum?

And Gist better than Artest?

Sounds like you are a bit of an exaggerator buddy.

TimDunkem
06-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Do you realize the only person who's said this kind of nonsense is you?

SenorSpur
06-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Just curious...

Who has said Mahinmi is a savior and better than Bynum?

And Gist better than Artest?

Sounds like you are a bit of an exaggerator buddy.

Yeah, that's the first I've ever heard of those comparisons.

yavozerb
06-28-2010, 08:30 AM
With the spurs looking for low salaries to fill out the roster this summer, Gist better have an even better summer than 2 years ago. Cause as far as making with SA, this looks the final attempt. I will be rooting for the guy.

benefactor
06-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Agreed. He's gotta come in balls out if he wants to be even considered. I think right now the Spurs just see him as a spot on the SL roster. If he plays hard and opens some eyes he might wind up a nice surprise.

biziofromdowntown
06-28-2010, 12:59 PM
If James SL will not good he has no problem to take a good contract with any avarage European team.

angelbelow
06-28-2010, 06:11 PM
last chance for the man

biziofromdowntown
08-06-2010, 06:12 PM
And so? We will see him @ training camp looking 4 a spot?

Bruno
08-06-2010, 06:31 PM
And so? We will see him @ training camp looking 4 a spot?

Nobody knows. AFAIK, he still hasn't signed with a team in Europe.

Bruno
08-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Serious question, is that actually something people use? I feel like I make things like that up from time to time, but that just seems crazy.

I never use AFAIK in real life given that I speak French. :downspin:

Bruno
08-19-2010, 07:25 AM
August 19th, Gist still hasn't signed with a team overseas. :stirpot:

mountainballer
08-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Milano was said to be interested, but that's quite some time ago. Italy might be his best chance, he has made himself a name there.
overall, if Spurs think about signing him, it would definitely make more sense than carry 10 guards. (just talking about roster balance)
would make sense if Spurs still wait, if a vet. SF (like Hayes) agrees to a min contract. if not, they sign Gist.

Bruno
08-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I see more Gist being Spurs 6th PF/C.
Whether Spurs goes with Gee or a vet at SF, shouldn't have an impact on him.

benefactor
08-19-2010, 01:37 PM
It's not surprising he has not signed anywhere. He will be with the Spurs at least through training camp.

ChumpDumper
08-19-2010, 02:37 PM
It's not surprising he has not signed anywhere. He will be with the Spurs at least through training camp.Then he should have signed with the Spurs by now.

Mel_13
09-07-2010, 08:51 AM
September 6th was the CBA mandated deadline for the Spurs to tender a contract offer to James Gist. He has declined the offer in order to play overseas the past two summers and the Spurs have been able to retain his rights.

Tender offers are typically not reported. We probably won't hear anything unless Gist signs the tender offer or signs overseas.

Bruno
09-07-2010, 03:24 PM
It also seems that Wilkerson is finally going in Israel.
Gist being at the training camp looks more and more likely.

lurker23
09-07-2010, 03:55 PM
It also seems that Wilkerson is finally going in Israel.
Gist being at the training camp looks more and more likely.

Bruno, correct me if I'm wrong, but if a player signs a training camp contract and plays with the team during the preseason, then are these the only two contractual options open to them:

a.) Keep said player on 15-man roster for the beginning of regular season, or
b.) Waive the player, losing all exclusive rights to that player.

More briefly, if the Spurs bring James Gist to training camp, then that will be the official end of the Spurs "stashing" him in Europe, correct?

Mel_13
09-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Bruno, correct me if I'm wrong, but if a player signs a training camp contract and plays with the team during the preseason, then are these the only two contractual options open to them:

a.) Keep said player on 15-man roster for the beginning of regular season, or
b.) Waive the player, losing all exclusive rights to that player.

More briefly, if the Spurs bring James Gist to training camp, then that will be the official end of the Spurs "stashing" him in Europe, correct?

Yes. Once he signs the tender offer, he is under contract. The Spurs can then keep him or waive him. If waived, they lose all rights to him.

Bruno
09-07-2010, 04:04 PM

You're right.

The only right Spurs keep is that, if he goes to the D-League, he will automatically be assigned to the Toros.

Bruno
09-07-2010, 04:13 PM
In which case the Spurs are the only ones who can sign him and they can do so as long as a roster spot is open. Honestly, that would be what is best for Gist.

You're worng, all NBA teams can call him up.

lurker23
09-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Yes. Once he signs the tender offer, he is under contract. The Spurs can then keep him or waive him. If waived, they lose all rights to him.

You're right.

The only right Spurs keep is that, if he goes to the D-League, he will automatically be assigned to the Toros.

Thanks guys. I imagine we'll know for sure in the next 3 weeks (IIRC, Spurs media day is September 27th or 28th, with training camp starting the next day). Unless the Spurs have some reason to think Gist is on the verge of some major breakthrough in his game, one that can emerge with one more year overseas, I'm all in favor of this being the do-or-die summer for Gist.

Bruno
09-07-2010, 04:18 PM
If the Spurs own his rights how can a player be called up by another team? Such an example hasn't happened yet to prove either of us correctly, but if Gist wanted to stay in the states this year then the D-League is the best option.

We are talking about what happens if he sign with Spurs and is then waived at the end of the training camp. Spurs don't own his rights after that.

yavozerb
09-07-2010, 10:35 PM
I still believe this guy has done just enough for an invite to camp. Hopefully pop agrees and then its up to Gist to make the team.

Solid D
09-10-2010, 09:30 PM
As I mentioned in the Summer League game threads, James has really improved his help defense and he really seemed to have a better court awareness. He jumped the passing lanes for steals, he played with energy and he was a better shot blocker than we've seen previously.

He can't shoot 3s like Matt Bonner does but if I were Pop, I wouldn't expect that of James this year. That dog didn't hunt. Let's put that roll aside and use him as an insurance Big who can play against smaller post players with solid team defense and create some positive chances off turnovers, blocks and loose balls.

biziofromdowntown
10-26-2010, 06:30 AM
ink by Partizan Beograd

Texas_Ranger
10-29-2010, 05:46 PM
http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/77390/180/partizan-adds-big-man-gist

ivanfromwestwood
10-30-2010, 04:32 AM
http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/77390/180/partizan-adds-big-man-gist

:toast

biziofromdowntown
11-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Good start for Gist with Partizan, expecially in his first Euroleague game. 16 points, 6 rebounds 2 block and 3 on 3 from long distance.

biziofromdowntown
11-17-2010, 05:31 PM
3 game of Euroleague, versus Caja Vitoria: 14 points n 11 rebouns

ace3g
01-19-2011, 05:22 PM
photos from yahoo sports
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/83/fullj.8d482d12549ca22b9cfcb35a90e9c8d9/8d482d12549ca22b9cfcb35a90e9c8d9-getty-baket-eurl-real_madrid-partizan.jpg
Real Madrid's center Felipe Reyes (L) vies with Partizan's US forward James Gist(notes) (R) during the Euroleague basketball match Real Madrid vs Partizan Belgrade on January 19, 2011 at the Caja Magica sportshall in Madrid.

admiralsnackbar
02-02-2011, 03:39 PM
You are leading the team in minutes, points, rebounds, blocks and three-pointers. Did you expect so much responsibility despite signing late?

"Not at all, but I am enjoying it! I just love the game of basketball. I tell my coach and my teammates that all the time. I'm just playing to win. It's not about my minutes or my points. It's about what I can do to help the team, and I guess all those stats come into play, even though I didn't know about them until you just mentioned it."

:lol Can the witness be coached a little more, your honor?

Mel_13
02-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Euroleague Top 16 game between Gist/Jerrells' team and Malik's team. Gist and Jerrells had nice stats, Malik's team won the game:

http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame?gamecode=141

biziofromdowntown
06-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Inks with Fenerbache Ulker Istanbul

Mel_13
06-26-2011, 03:42 PM
With summer league canceled, no reason to delay signing in Europe. See ya in the 2012 summer league, James.

wildbill2u
06-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Euroleague Top 16 game between Gist/Jerrells' team and Malik's team. Gist and Jerrells had nice stats, Malik's team won the game:

http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame?gamecode=141
I'm assuming from the stats that he got fouled on his 2pt attempts and thats why he had 1-5 shooting with 4-7 FT.

Interesting that he outplayed Vesely in the same minutes. And Vesely went as a lottery pick this year.

Wonder if the Spurs have totally given up on him.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm assuming from the stats that he got fouled on his 2pt attempts and thats why he had 1-5 shooting with 4-7 FT.

Interesting that he outplayed Vesely in the same minutes. And Vesely went as a lottery pick this year.

they got gist v.2.0 draft pick 15 this year

ChuckD
06-26-2011, 08:36 PM

Well, he was cut last year, so they no longer own his rights. That's why you delay bringing over players as long as possible while they aren't ready. You get one shot to sign them and bring them into training camp. If they don't make the squad, you cut them, and they become another NBA FA in a landscape littered with them.

ace3g
08-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Update on James Gist:

Unicaja Malaga lands James Gist

http://www.unicajabaloncesto.com/fotos/3/6/0/9/3609_3.jpg

http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/spain/42771/unicaja-malaga-lands-james-gist.html

biziofromdowntown
02-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Gist lands to panatinaikos few weeks ago.

Libri
02-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Gist lands to panatinaikos few weeks ago.

Aren't they a top 5 team in Europe? If so, then good for Gist. It looks like he's doing well.

99 Problems
02-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Good to see these guys getting a good pay day. Hope the Greeks pay up however, things are pretty dire over there. Lots of soccer players not getting paid.

biziofromdowntown
06-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Gist wins Greek championship minutes ago. Pao (his team) won Greek cup too same months ago, defeating Olympiacos, the Euroleague winner.

BackHome
06-12-2013, 09:32 PM
I wonder what his buyout is?

boga
06-14-2013, 08:45 AM
one of the most unrelaible players i've ever seen. but i have to say that he did well this season with panathinaikos.

exstatic
06-16-2013, 09:36 AM
I wonder what his buyout is?

We no longer own his rights.

Chinook
06-16-2013, 02:31 PM
We no longer own his rights.

That doesn't answer that question, though. A team doesn't need to own his rights to pay a buyout. For example, the Spurs paid a buyout for Baynes this season.

biziofromdowntown
06-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Well, i think there's no BO cause Gist was inked with a 1 yr contract, i guess

exstatic
06-16-2013, 07:32 PM
That doesn't answer that question, though. A team doesn't need to own his rights to pay a buyout. For example, the Spurs paid a buyout for Baynes this season.

OK, here's another non-answer: who cares? There are very many better options on the market than James Gist.