Bruno
04-29-2009, 04:38 AM
http://images.alice.it/sg/sportuni/upload/jam/james_gist9.jpg

James Gist | F
Born: Oct 26, 1986
Height: 6-9 / 2,06
Weight: 235 lbs. / 107 kg.
College: Maryland

wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gist)

objective
04-29-2009, 04:56 AM
I want Gist on the roster bad.

2 year minimum salary deal.

Doesn't matter if he ends up a bust, what's he gonna do, play 20+ minutes in a key playoff game and grab 1 rebound with 0 points? Bonner's proven that if he does that he might make himself a rich man.

BWS-1994
04-29-2009, 05:05 AM
Can he opt out of his contract in Italy?

He just might be the Spurs answer against athletic, face-up bigs.

timvp
04-29-2009, 05:14 AM
Gotta bring him over. At worst he's an athlete who can bring added dimension's to the team's attack. He looked good in summer league and his stats in Europe look somewhat promising. If the Spurs don't bring him over, there better be a good reason.

poop
04-29-2009, 06:35 AM
look at him. really, just look at him. how could that not be a more effective NBA player than Boner?

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2009, 07:16 AM
look at him. really, just look at him. how could that not be a more effective NBA player than Boner?

if he tells you to touch it, would you touch it? :rollin

timvp
04-29-2009, 07:48 AM
I'd say 90% chance Gist never amount to anything. Late second rounders rarely do an while he looked good in summer league, he could still very well be without a position. But I'm ready to take that chance.

poop
04-29-2009, 08:19 AM
I'd say 90% chance Gist never amount to anything. Late second rounders rarely do an while he looked good in summer league, he could still very well be without a position. But I'm ready to take that chance.

100% boner amounted to nothing. i dont see how this guy could not be an improvement over what we have now. he would literally have to just stand thre, or maybe throw the ball into the stands every time he touched it.

TheProfessor
04-29-2009, 09:51 AM
It'll be interesting to see how he's developed when Summer League rolls around. I expect him to be on the roster next year, unless we draft a more ready combo-forward type player.

Mel_13
04-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Gotta bring him over. At worst he's an athlete who can bring added dimension's to the team's attack. He looked good in summer league and his stats in Europe look somewhat promising. If the Spurs don't bring him over, there better be a good reason.

Agree, this is the most obvious low-cost, team-controlled, no-brainer move for this summer. Next year we have to take 2nd rounders like Gist, Hairston, Williams, and the 37th pick and do like Boston has done with Davis, Powe, Pruitt, and Walker. Throw them against the wall and see what sticks. If you get one reliable rotation player, its good. Two or more would be great.

TheProfessor
04-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Agree, this is the most obvious low-cost, team-controlled, no-brainer move for this summer. Next year we have to take 2nd rounders like Gist, Hairston, Williams, and the 37th pick and do like Boston has done with Davis, Powe, Pruitt, and Walker. Throw them against the wall and see what sticks. If you get one reliable rotation player, its good. Two or more would be great.
+1 I don't see what other choice we have at this point.

SenorSpur
04-29-2009, 10:17 AM
agree, this is the most obvious low-cost, team-controlled, no-brainer move for this summer. Next year we have to take 2nd rounders like gist, hairston, williams, and the 37th pick and do like boston has done with davis, powe, pruitt, and walker. Throw them against the wall and see what sticks. If you get one reliable rotation player, its good. Two or more would be great.

+2

Manufan909
04-29-2009, 10:24 AM

+3 I think Hairston is almost a give though. so I'd put Ian in that list, even though he was 1st round.

loveforthegame
04-29-2009, 10:55 AM

+4

He has to be brought over for the summer league at least to see if there is improvement or not. He's got the build and energy we need.

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Mel made the best point here..

we better hope at least 1-2 of Gist, Hairston, and Williams can look good for Pop, because that would be our best option..it would come cheap, which would give us more flexibility for other moves..

Bruno
04-29-2009, 02:18 PM
The big question with Gist is what spot will he play.
He played PF in college but he is likely too short and light to defend most of the NBA PFs.
His body si more suited for teh SF spot but does he have the shills to play on the perimeter ?

xtremesteven33
04-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Gist could be another Ariza if we took time to help develop his game. Ariza barely got his 3 pt shot going.

It just takes time and I dont think Pop wants to invest his time in developing talent....:(

04-29-2009, 03:29 PM
i don't know why everyone thinks gist will be a 3. he has NEVER played SF. i don't know what position he played in italy but i'm guessing he's considered tall over there so they would at least put him at power forward. he's also gained 15 pounds. he wouldn't do that if he's anticipating playing at the 3. he was a center in college and a PF during summer league. is it because he's 6'8 so everyone starts fantasizing him as a long 3? there are plenty of solid undersized power forwards in the nba. carl landry (6'7), leon powe (6'8), paul millsap (6'8), mike beasley (6'8), haslem (6'8). he just needs to bring high energy off the bench.

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2009, 03:33 PM
how is his game? his body and style seems like a Hakim Warrick type..

I. Hustle
04-29-2009, 03:38 PM
I hear that there is a drink in Italy named after him called Il sangue di vita. They use real Gist blood and it improves your health and helps you get women. No ice is needed since icewater runs through his veins.

ChumpDumper
04-29-2009, 03:53 PM
i don't know why everyone thinks gist will be a 3. he has NEVER played SF. i don't know what position he played in italy but i'm guessing he's considered tall over there so they would at least put him at power forward. he's also gained 15 pounds. he wouldn't do that if he's anticipating playing at the 3. he was a center in college and a PF during summer league. is it because he's 6'8 so everyone starts fantasizing him as a long 3? there are plenty of solid undersized power forwards in the nba. carl landry (6'7), leon powe (6'8), paul millsap (6'8), mike beasley (6'8), haslem (6'8). he just needs to bring high energy off the bench.He has something close to a three point shot and has the athleticism to guard the perimeter. That's why.

Spurs Brazil
04-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Bring him to Summer League and see what he can do

04-29-2009, 05:02 PM
He has something close to a three point shot and has the athleticism to guard the perimeter. That's why.

beasley has a great outside shot and a nba 3pt range. he also has speed and athleticism and is about the same size as gist (6'8, 235 pounds). yet he's still a PF.

gist's lateral quickness is good but i doubt he can hold up against the quicker SFs in the NBA. he can probably guard the slower ones at best. again, he's gained about 15 pounds. unless he's lebron james, gaining weight usually makes a player slower. he's already anticipating playing 4 or 5 spot in the NBA. his skills in rebounding and shot blocking makes him best suited for playing the PF/C. the ability to stretch the floor with his jumpshots are a bonus.

ChumpDumper
04-29-2009, 05:04 PM
We'll see. I haven't seen him play enough to make that call. He still looks skinny as hell in that picture.

Kori Ellis
04-29-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't know if he'll really stick in the league, but I'd think he'd be an athletic 4 who sometimes slides to the 3 if the team were to go with a big lineup.

04-29-2009, 05:17 PM
i hope he can become the defensive answer to the mobile power forwards that have traditionally given the spurs trouble. specifically the ones that like to play the high post. it would be great to finally have someone to guard dirk, west, and even odom.

crc21209
04-29-2009, 06:14 PM
BRING HIM OVER! They have to...from what I saw of him in the Summer League last year he was the best player on the summer league roster. And Hill didnt look so good at times...and we all know how Hill worked out. So bring him over and see what the young guns are made of in training camp...Hill, Mahinmi, Hairston, and Gist. :tu

Manufan909
04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't know if he'll really stick in the league, but I'd think he'd be an athletic 4 who sometimes slides to the 3 if the team were to go with a big lineup.

Were there any articles last summer league hinting Pop told Gist he'd be a 3 on the Spurs, or is that ST wishful thinking?

tav1
04-29-2009, 07:25 PM
This might help:

In this morning’s (much longer) post about Drew Gooden and the Spurs frontcourt, I mention James Gist in passing as a long shot combo forward. Why would I use that term? And is he any good?

Several weeks back I had the opportunity to speak with Antonello Varallo, who covers the Italian League for Eurobasket. He’s as close to the situation as you can get. He was exceedingly helpful in painting a picture of Gist’s time in Europe. Quoting from part of that conversation:

Regarding James Gist’s Team, Angelico Biella

"Angelico Biella has a good general manager, Marco Atripaldi, who is a great talent scout. In Italy his reputation is very important: he was chosen by Benetton Treviso to replace Gherardini when he joined Toronto Raptors. Moreover, in recent years Biella used many Italian unknown players who later joined national team, players like Matteo Soragna, Pietro Aradori, Fabio Di Bella, or players with a good reputation, as Troy Bell (former Boston College) and Reece Gaines, a former Houston player."

Regarding James Gist’s Position

"Everybody in Italy knows that Gist is a player for the Spurs, and sometimes
newspapers talk about the San Antonio scouts who follow Gist. In Italy Gist is playing power forward, and sometimes he defends against bigger players. His size and his quickness are his strengths when he attacks, and his weaknesses when he defends. He is the greatest dunker in Italy, and he is a good 3 pointer too…

I think Gist could play in the NBA as a 3. He is fast enough. He reminds me of James Singleton, who played in Italy as a 4."

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/04/29/postscript-james-gist/

Ditty
04-29-2009, 07:28 PM
could he be like our odom

i see him coming over but being in austin most of the year

J_Paco
04-29-2009, 08:16 PM
He is definitely an intriguing prospect, that could play the big 3 (Odom) or as a small athletic 4 (Josh Smith). I wouldn't expect a ton from Gist at first, but his athleticism is certainly of need.

People need to remember that being drafted late or going undrafted completely doesn't mean you can't stick in the NBA. Especially, when you commit to becoming a solid defensive-oriented player (Raja Bell, Bruce Bowen and Ben Wallace).

EricB
04-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Sounds like hes a tweener.

I don't have alot of faith that he can stick.

Russ
04-29-2009, 08:27 PM
+3 I think Hairston is almost a give though. so I'd put Ian in that list, even though he was 1st round.

You've heard of RINOs? (Republicans In Name Only)

Mahinmi is a FRINO (First Rounder In Name Only):dizzy

tomtom
04-29-2009, 09:52 PM
I'd love to see what he can do

benefactor
04-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Indeed. He would be our alternative to dealing with lineups like Odom/Ariza, Gasol, Bynum. Depending on his defensive versatility, he could also be used on shooting PF's like Dirk and Aldridge. Perhaps he becomes a front line version of George Hill position-wise.

tomtom
05-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Found an interesting post on Gist with some nice video highlights of him http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/05/04/james-gist-video/

angelbelow
05-06-2009, 12:31 AM
we should give him a shot, it wont hurt us i dont think. if he plays well thats great, if not, thats too bad but its not like we committed greatly to him already.

05-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Found an interesting post on Gist with some nice video highlights of him http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/05/04/james-gist-video/
is that james gist or lebron james?

Manufan909
05-06-2009, 03:48 AM

Wow, that alley oop was straight nasty. And are they saying his name right, or do you pronounce it the way you do the word gist?

benefactor
05-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Some nice highlights there. I especially like his timing from the weak side on the blocked shots. He seems to do a good job of getting his hand on the ball while not picking up the foul with body contact. Hopefully this shows that he can at least be a good team defender even if he is not a great post up defender.

urunobili
05-06-2009, 07:26 AM
For y'all the experts... Is Gist's wingspan kind of short or it's my impression?

I think the best case scenario is that he develops into a Travis Outlaw kind of player for us...

Mel_13
05-06-2009, 07:59 AM
For y'all the experts... Is Gist's wingspan kind of short or it's my impression?

I think the best case scenario is that he develops into a Travis Outlaw kind of player for us...

Which would make him a legit NBA top-8 rotation player. The Spurs would be very happy if he could perform at that level.

Keep your fingers crossed that he has that kind of upside.

mountainballer
05-06-2009, 08:24 AM

is this some kind of irony?
Gist measured with one of the most freakish wingspans in history of the predraft measurements...
height without shoes: 6' 7"
wingspan: 7' 4"

Danny.Zhu
05-06-2009, 08:59 AM

What's his stats?

Gino2882
05-06-2009, 10:39 AM
I still think he should of made the team last year, ESPECIALLY over Tolliver. Tolliver was so redundant with Bonner on this team...

Gist could of been of value on a limited basis as the super athletic 4 when Pop goes small.

I would be shocked if he doesn't get a shot this year.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I would be shocked if he doesn't get a shot this year.

I don't think there's a personnel decision this club could make that would actually shock me at this point.

Ditty
05-06-2009, 01:00 PM
he will defintly make the team no doubt about it

but will see alot of time in the d league though

lurker23
05-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Wow, that alley oop was straight nasty. And are they saying his name right, or do you pronounce it the way you do the word gist?

I'm pretty sure they are saying it correctly. With a hard G, as in 'girl.'

The thing we have to remember about James Gist is that he has the potential to be a spectacular rebounder, which is something the Spurs have really lacked in recent years. As someone who has seen him in person, I have a lot of faith that his rebounding intuition can translate to the NBA level.

stxspurs
05-06-2009, 01:42 PM
if Gist was so good in the summer and looked at as a person the spurs need....why did we send him overseas and keep hairston and tolliver?

Borosai
05-06-2009, 02:04 PM
James Gist!

tp2021
05-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Where's DarkWaters?

lurker23
05-06-2009, 02:38 PM
if Gist was so good in the summer and looked at as a person the spurs need....why did we send him overseas and keep hairston and tolliver?

I think the only thing we can really ascertain from this is that the Spurs felt, for one reason or another, that Gist wouldn't be able to significantly contribute this year. Speculation takes us in a few different directions, either that he broadly needed to polish his game, or that they had specific things they wanted him to work on, such as his perimeter game to give him more potential as a 3/4.

As far as the Austin vs. overseas debate, there are a few factors that come into play, such as roster flexibility and salary cap space. There were a few times that the Spurs reached the 15 player limit this year, and even waived players that they were potentially high on, such as Tolliver and Hairston. If you throw James Gist into that mix, perhaps you risk having to give up rights to him to pick up someone like Drew Gooden.

Or, the simple explanation might have been that the front office told him, "We don't feel you'll be getting much playing time in San Antonio this year. Your choices are signing with us and playing in Austin, or playing overseas." As much as I love Austin, if I were in those shoes, I would take the extra cash and tour of Italy.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Pop had a Finleyesque man-love for Tolliver, which cost the team. Once Toll hit those threes in summer league, it was all over.

lurker23
05-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Pop had a Finleyesque man-love for Tolliver, which cost the team. Once Toll hit those threes in summer league, it was all over.

I really don't think the Tolliver and Gist decisions were all that related. If they thought that there was any chance they wanted Gist on the roster in 2008-09, they would have brought him to training camp.

montgod
05-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Anyone have any stats on how he did overseas?

lurker23
05-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Anyone have any stats on how he did overseas?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-Gist-597/

27.6 mpg, 12.7 ppg, 6.0 rpg.

Good 3 point percentage (46.4%), but based on his per game averages, it seems he's taking 2 or 3 a game and making one of those. (Also, international 3 point distance.)

timvp
05-07-2009, 12:33 AM

Prior to the draft, Gist told the Spurs he'd be willing to go to Europe if drafted. That's basically why the Spurs drafted him. He was impressive in summer league but he likely would have stayed in Austin all year anyways. So instead of having just two players developing in Austin, the Spurs could have had two in Austin and one overseas.

I think it was the right call. Not many college players willingly commit to going overseas prior to even being drafted. It basically gave the Spurs a free season to scout him and kept his D-League eligibility for two more years.

He could have won summer league MVP and I think the Spurs still make the same choice.

EricB
05-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Prior to the draft, Gist told the Spurs he'd be willing to go to Europe if drafted. That's basically why the Spurs drafted him. He was impressive in summer league but he likely would have stayed in Austin all year anyways. So instead of having just two players developing in Austin, the Spurs could have had two in Austin and one overseas.

I think it was the right call. Not many college players willingly commit to going overseas prior to even being drafted. It basically gave the Spurs a free season to scout him and kept his D-League eligibility for two more years.

He could have won summer league MVP and I think the Spurs still make the same choice.

I think also Tolliver seemed more NBA ready than Gist at the time.

Blackjack
05-07-2009, 12:44 AM

Don't you think it had something to do with when they'd be able to start his contract?

It would seem to make some sense, financially speaking, in the bigger picture.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Didn't I read here on ST only weeks ago that those in the know say Gist to Italy is basically an arranged deal, everyone knows he was sent there for some seasoning and will be back to play for us next year... or was that a Kill Bill Pana rant? :lmao

EricB
05-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Didn't I read here on ST only weeks ago that those in the know say Gist to Italy is basically an arranged deal, everyone knows he was sent there for some seasoning and will be back to play for us next year... or was that a Kill Bill Pana rant? :lmao

I think its in this thread that there was an interview with an italian scout where he pretty much stated "we know hes spurs property"

That may be different from what you mean, but thats how I took it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-07-2009, 01:05 AM
I think its in this thread that there was an interview with an italian scout where he pretty much stated "we know hes spurs property"

That may be different from what you mean, but thats how I took it.

Thanks, must be on the second page because I didn't re-read it, but that's exactly what I was referring to. :tu

tp2021
05-07-2009, 01:27 AM
The article linked in the first post has been updated.
They now said that Spurs will send members of theirs staff to follow Gist at various moments of the season.
Gist has signed with this team with Spurs' agreement. Spurs likely didn't want to spend time, money and a roster spot on Gist this year.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102646

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-07-2009, 03:02 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102646

That's a different, but similar, post to the one I am thinking about. :)

Obstructed_View
05-07-2009, 04:09 AM
I really don't think the Tolliver and Gist decisions were all that related. If they thought that there was any chance they wanted Gist on the roster in 2008-09, they would have brought him to training camp.

And there was no chance for Gist once Tolliver hit those threes in summer league. I wouldn't be surprised if Pop called the team travel agent the day after that game.

biziofromdowntown
05-07-2009, 05:52 AM
I'm the Fabrizio of 48minutesofhell talks...wanna know something more about him?

I'm going to se a match onight, if u want i could ask him something.

objective
05-07-2009, 06:11 AM
how about if he's going to play in the summer league?

biziofromdowntown
05-07-2009, 06:19 AM
how about if he's going to play in the summer league?

:tu

urunobili
05-07-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm the Fabrizio of 48minutesofhell talks...wanna know something more about him?

Can you ask him if he has expectations to make the roster this year?

Did pop and RC visited or talked to him while they were in Europe?

lurker23
05-07-2009, 10:33 AM

I'd like to know if the Spurs coaching staff has talked to him about what position he would play in the Spurs system (i.e.- do they see him as a SF/PF, or just a PF?). Thanks!

Borosai
05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
I'd like to know if the Spurs coaching staff has talked to him about what position he would play in the Spurs system (i.e.- do they see him as a SF/PF, or just a PF?). Thanks!

Me too.

leemajors
05-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Can you ask him if he has expectations to make the roster this year?

Did pop and RC visited or talked to him while they were in Europe?

thanks for offering Fabrizio

benefactor
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
How many games are left for him over there?

lefty
05-07-2009, 12:40 PM
The GIST !!!!!

benefactor
05-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Ok...I stopped being lazy.

http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=Italy&Team=2106&Page=2

Look like the regular season will be over in just a few days. How do they structure the post season? Will Angelico Biella make it?

D-ROB 50
05-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I like this lineup

C Ian
PF Gist
SF hariston
SG Hill
PG Parker
= a fast, young, athletic, group. Whats interesting is that, in theory these guys can all play defense and probably score. Small ball anyone?

05-07-2009, 04:54 PM
james gist plays all 7 nba positions: C, PF, SF, SG, PG, coach, and ref.

Spurs_9_20_21
05-07-2009, 05:01 PM
I like this lineup

C Ian
PF Gist
SF hariston
SG Hill
PG Parker
= a fast, young, athletic, group. Whats interesting is that, in theory these guys can all play defense and probably score. Small ball anyone?
I like this lineup too!! The only 2 problems are I am a little worried of Hill playing the 2 and Gist playing the PF, I'm not sure if he can handle guys like Dirk or Garnett.

D-ROB 50
05-07-2009, 05:03 PM
I like this lineup too!! The only 2 problems are I am a little worried of Hill playing the 2 and Gist playing the PF, I'm not sure if he can handle guys like Dirk or Garnett.

I would say this could be our small ball line-up.

Spurs_9_20_21
05-07-2009, 05:03 PM
james gist plays all 7 nba positions: C, PF, SF, SG, PG, coach, and ref.
:lol:lol:lol When I read that, I didn't finish reading it...I stopped at 'positions' and I was like 'there aren't 7 positions!'

BruceBowenFan
05-07-2009, 07:11 PM
:lol:lol:lol When I read that, I didn't finish reading it...I stopped at 'positions' and I was like 'there aren't 7 positions!'

With gist 7 positions do exist.

tp2021
05-07-2009, 08:55 PM
With gist 7 positions do exist.

That's too low. Just ask the ladies.

biziofromdowntown
05-08-2009, 02:30 AM
Pop n Buford were here last evening, watching James...

I took a pic with them and one with James

Later 4 comments and answers

Flux451
05-08-2009, 11:48 AM

Sweet, thanks.

wildbill2u
05-08-2009, 12:42 PM
If he could play at the NBA level, he'd be here. Seasoning an American player (who's already played US college ball) in Europe rarely produces anything more than a role player when they return, if ever.

Can anyone name an American player who's returned from Europe to become a starter in the league?

Libri
05-08-2009, 12:43 PM

How did Gist play?

rold50
05-08-2009, 12:46 PM
If he could play at the NBA level, he'd be here. Seasoning an American player (who's already played US college ball) in Europe rarely produces anything more than a role player when they return, if ever.

Can anyone name an American player who's returned from Europe to become a starter in the league?

Bruce Bowen, Roger Mason, to name a few.

urunobili
05-08-2009, 12:54 PM

:hungry:

biziofromdowntown
05-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Ok, i'm back 4 u men.
Gist looked very aflutter yesterday, before the match he set on the bench like in trance.
His opponent was Mike Hall, who playied with GSW few years ago. Run, go and Hall got 5 points and Gist 2 personal fouls, 1 O and 1 D. He set on the bench form most on 1 half, after toke another foul (but 2 were bad call, refs suck here too) with only 2 points and 2 rebound. I was astonished, James was pretty cool.
But when second half starded he looked more comfortable, his team owned the opponent and he had less tension. He looked not really good in post defense,specially versus hooks but good D on the arch. A stupid interference cost a 3 point game for opponent(that wasn't first time during the season) but rejectet a shot with a great block running from the opposite angle, and finally he showed us what he can do: a super dunk from free throw line (video here http://www.legabaskettv.it/watch/15c77a7149e92a551338/Angelico-Biella-Armani-J.-Mi). He finished with 12 points 8 reb and 1 block.

I waited him after the game and we talked. He said he will be in San Antonio for Summer League (and Buford told me the same) but he's not sure to stay with the team (and R C said "maybe"). He is very kind and expansive, a good boy. he said he's not afraid about his future, he want to work hard, and he told he learned much this year. Pop told that Gist had to work a lot, cause he canno't play 3 cause he feet r too slow, so he caould play on PF, but his shot range in pretty good, nice from the 3p too, so Spurs r very interested with him.

We'll see.

If u have more questions ask me

Libri
05-08-2009, 02:54 PM
That's good information! Thanks! :tu

biziofromdowntown
05-08-2009, 03:53 PM
oh, and i asked Pop: "hi Coach Pop, why r u here?"
"There's a great wine house in Biella!"

Borosai
05-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks a lot for the info.

timvp
05-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Awesome work, biziofromdowntown :tu

The Spurs could definitely use some of that athleticism. Hopefully Gist can impress in summer league and gives the Spurs no choice but to bring him over.

Couple questions:

-Why were they celebrating at the end? Did they win something?

-How many more games will Gist play in Italy this year?

-Is Gist regarded as the best player on the team?

-Does he look more like a power forward or small forward?

-Was there anyone else there from the Spurs besides Pop and RC?

Thanks in advance :tu

duncan228
05-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Ok, i'm back 4 u men.

Thanks so much for the first hand experience. :tu

05-08-2009, 04:10 PM
A stupid interference cost a 3 point game for opponent(that wasn't first time during the season) but rejectet a shot with a great block running from the opposite angle, and finally he showed us what he can do: a super dunk from free throw line (video here http://www.legabaskettv.it/watch/15c77a7149e92a551338/Angelico-Biella-Armani-J.-Mi)

why the fuck was gist dunking in front of pop? :pctoss

he still seems pretty raw defensively by what you are saying. if he can't guard post players and lags behind in perimeter defense, things will not be easy for gist. oh, do you have pics?

biziofromdowntown
05-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Timvp, let me answer:

they're celabrating cause the brought play off 7 seed for first time in franchise history and cause it was last home game of regular season, and last but not least cause they won over Armani Jeans Milano 3^ best team in Italy

James had to play 1 game more of regular season, and then there will be play off, i don't belive Angelico should prevail over first round, so 3 or 4 matchs at all

Yeah, Gist is surely best player in his team, first in all of teams statistic (not sure rebounds)

He looks like a PF couse he learned only PF position,but he played well at SF when team went big and he has extraordinary athleticism, in the paint he could be a beast, he showed straordinary power, dunking like The Choosen one or better!

timvp
05-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Nice. Thanks, biziofromdowntown.

Bruno
05-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Nice report. :tu

Spurs have lacked of quickness at the PF spot for years. A player with the profile of Gist could definitively help Spurs. If Spurs' staff isn't sure to sign him for next year, it likely means that they have serious doubts about his level.

It's also interesting to know that Spurs consider him as a PF.

Borosai
05-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm honestly hoping he's quick/athletic enough to play as a big SF. If not, I guess he'll fall into the Millsap-Bass-etc role, and we'll just have to keep waiting.

biziofromdowntown
05-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Borosai, he is surely athletic enough, not sure for his quiknes and his BB IQ

biziofromdowntown
05-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Oh, by the way...if spurs will not sign him for next year...he should be a dominant player in PF role in Europe, he easly could play in Euroleague teams.

timvp
05-08-2009, 04:34 PM
If Spurs' staff isn't sure to sign him for next year, it likely means that they have serious doubts about his level.

True, although they wouldn't tell anyone right now that he was coming even if they thought it was 100% going to happen. Too much could happen with roster spots between now and the time it comes to make the Gist decision.

If there's anything close to a roster crunch, I could see the Spurs telling Gist to play another year overseas -- even if they think he's a decent prospect.

At best, I could imagine Gist giving the Spurs next year what James Singleton has given the Mavs this season.

Manufan909
05-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Ok, i'm back 4 u men.
Gist looked very aflutter yesterday, before the match he set on the bench like in trance.
His opponent was Mike Hall, who playied with GSW few years ago. Run, go and Hall got 5 points and Gist 2 personal fouls, 1 O and 1 D. He set on the bench form most on 1 half, after toke another foul (but 2 were bad call, refs suck here too) with only 2 points and 2 rebound. I was astonished, James was pretty cool.
But when second half starded he looked more comfortable, his team owned the opponent and he had less tension. He looked not really good in post defense,specially versus hooks but good D on the arch. A stupid interference cost a 3 point game for opponent(that wasn't first time during the season) but rejectet a shot with a great block running from the opposite angle, and finally he showed us what he can do: a super dunk from free throw line (video here http://www.legabaskettv.it/watch/15c77a7149e92a551338/Angelico-Biella-Armani-J.-Mi). He finished with 12 points 8 reb and 1 block.

I waited him after the game and we talked. He said he will be in San Antonio for Summer League (and Buford told me the same) but he's not sure to stay with the team (and R C said "maybe"). He is very kind and expansive, a good boy. he said he's not afraid about his future, he want to work hard, and he told he learned much this year. Pop told that Gist had to work a lot, cause he canno't play 3 cause he feet r too slow, so he caould play on PF, but his shot range in pretty good, nice from the 3p too, so Spurs r very interested with him.

We'll see.

If u have more questions ask me

So how did he get the majority of his points? Were they mostly from the paint?

And it's good to hear he plays solid D on the arch. Hope Pop plays him as a 3 the entire summer league and preseason(assuming he makes the team), see if he can handle it against any size SF.

biziofromdowntown
05-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Manufan,9 in the paint, a dunk, 3/3 from FT and a 3point

benefactor
05-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the update. Can't wait until he gets back here so we can see what he can really do.

urunobili
05-08-2009, 09:37 PM
biziofromdowntown rocks... he deserves a Spur for the coverage :tu

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2009, 02:47 AM
quickness can be taught

ciapop will pull out his ak47 and start shooting at the floor....run gist run

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2009, 02:48 AM
quickness can be taught

ciapop will pull out his ak47 and start shooting at the floor....run gist run

Bruno
05-12-2009, 01:37 PM
http://forums.interbasket.net/f11/end-season-summer-signings-and-rumours-9511/p7.html

According to this:
http://www.sport5.co.il/HTML/article...274.58782.html

James Gist candidate to maccabi.

urunobili
05-12-2009, 01:55 PM
http://forums.interbasket.net/f11/end-season-summer-signings-and-rumours-9511/p7.html

Bruno do you think he should stay one more year in Europe? on Maccabi the level of play is more intense than what he was experiencing in Italy and he would probably get better there... but my wish is to have him now...

What do you think? This year or next is best for both sides? Spurs/Gist

Bruno
05-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Bruno do you think he should stay one more year in Europe? on Maccabi the level of play is more intense than what he was experiencing in Italy and he would probably get better there... but my wish is to have him now...

What do you think? This year or next is best for both sides? Spurs/Gist

If he signs with Maccabi, he will play the Euroleague, that is to say the highest level outside the NBA.

Spurs window is closing as Duncan and his knees are getting older. Spurs don't have the luxury to take their time with their prospects. The fastest route with Gist is to sign him and work with him in Austin. I'm for Spurs bringing Gist this summer. The only case where it wouldn't be a good option is if Spurs don't have a roster spot for him. Signing Gist to waive him at the end of the training camp because of a roster crunch would be quite stupid.

Ditty
05-12-2009, 02:26 PM
he'll most likely be on the roster but i will think hell be more in austin the san antonio

05-12-2009, 04:05 PM
young prospects compliment old veterans the best. look at the celtics. glen davis this year is only in his second year. rondo and powe, key pieces of the cletics' championship run in 2008 were only in their second year. spurs just don't want to deal with the rocky first year many players will face but they fail to see there can be very big payoffs.

rayray2k8
05-12-2009, 07:26 PM
I think he'll be in the States next season, either with the spurs or with the toros.
Hopefully he does enough to have Pop believing that Gist has a shot at making the
rotation.

tomtom
05-12-2009, 08:11 PM
I think he'll be here next season. He really wants to be in the NBA and we're lacking at the 3 badly at this point

EricB
05-12-2009, 11:27 PM
I think he'll be here next season. He really wants to be in the NBA and we're lacking at the 3 badly at this point

Except hes a 4....

tomtom
05-12-2009, 11:49 PM
SHIT! Anyone know if he could possibly play the 3? Seems quick enough at least

Manufan909
05-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Manufan,9 in the paint, a dunk, 3/3 from FT and a 3point

THanks dude! I second the thought of biz getting a Spur.:worthy:

Except hes a 4....

And before Hill was a Spur, he was a 2...:nope

Hope he is an ST troll, and believes us when we say the 3 spot is more of a weakness for the Spurs than the 4 spot.

The Truth #6
05-13-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is concerned Gist might be a 4. Considering Pop's fascination with slow, small ball, he's a better 4 than Finley. I still think he should be given a shot at the 3. People commenting here have no idea at all what he can or can't do yet. He hasn't even played in the NBA yet. After RC's misdiagnosis of Scola, I'm not putting much weight into his opinion at this point until we see Gist get minutes, which, sadly, is not even a given.

Pop will probably waste the whole Summer looking for another backup PG and another long range shooting PF.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-13-2009, 01:00 AM
I can't believe people are still saying this guy is a 3.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-13-2009, 01:09 AM
He is consider a 3? I did not know this. All year in Italy I thought he was PF.

Blackjack
05-13-2009, 01:13 AM
I can't believe people are still saying this guy is a 3.

He's a tweener, definitely more 4 than 3, but I do think he's plenty athletic and long enough to defend some of the 3's that typically give the Spurs trouble.

The Spurs said themselves, when they drafted him, that he was a bit of the type of hybrid that the league had been trending to, so they thought they'd experiment with him.

His 3-point shot looks to be improving, he's always been a good finisher around the rim, he's a high-energy guy with a great motor, and he's still a tweener.

I definitely think he would be a good asset to have off the bench, and if he can ever develop a good handle?

The Spurs might've found something more than a nice energy-guy to bring off the bench.

Manufan909
05-13-2009, 01:23 AM
He is consider a 3? I did not know this. All year in Italy I thought he was PF.

He is, CBF got it wrong. There aren't alot of people saying he is a 3, but there are alot of people expressing the hope he could become the long SF ST has always wanted.:king

05-13-2009, 01:30 AM
i don't see how another year in europe will help gist. he has already played 4 years of college and a year in europe. he needs NBA experience now.

Manufan909
05-13-2009, 01:37 AM
i don't see how another year in europe will help gist. he has already played 4 years of college and a year in europe. he needs NBA experience now.

Wish he had alternated between the 3 and 4 in college, but from all accounts he was undoubtedly a PF.

45 bank shot
05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
bing him in

biziofromdowntown
05-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Good news from Italy!!!

james is stepping up in italian play off, he showed a very good post movements, good D, less foul trobles and he is shooting with 75% from the 3 line!!!

BWS-1994
05-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Good news from Italy!!!

james is stepping up in italian play off, he showed a very good post movements, good D, less foul trobles and he is shooting with 75% from the 3 line!!!

Good to hear, thanks for the update :toast

Hope all of those mentioned can translate into a good run with the Spurs.

urunobili
05-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Good news from Italy!!!

:pop::cell

AFBlue
05-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Wish he had alternated between the 3 and 4 in college, but from all accounts he was undoubtedly a PF.

He really didn't show much range until his senior year, and even then it was inconsistent. But it appears he has been working hard to expand his range and develop consistency on the perimeter.

If Gist can continue his progress, I think it's possible he plays the 3...but for now, he's an athletic 4 with some range.

benefactor
05-24-2009, 08:57 PM
He is also 6-8 from distance....

AFBlue
05-24-2009, 09:08 PM
He is also 6-8 from distance....

Euro three is closer than NBA three right?

I mean...I like hearing the consistency from longer range, but I was jsut making sure...

benefactor
05-24-2009, 09:16 PM

I mean...I like hearing the consistency from longer range, but I was jsut making sure...
Yeah it is. But this is still good as it shows that he will be able to knock down long mid range jumpers, which he will need to be able to do in our system. Hopefully he has no problems extending his range a few feet from there so that he can be a threat from distance for us also.

Obstructed_View
05-24-2009, 09:56 PM

Being able to hit a 20 footer is just as good as being able to hit a 25 footer when your only job is to keep your defender from leaving you.

exstatic
05-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Being able to hit a 20 footer is just as good as being able to hit a 25 footer when your only job is to keep your defender from leaving you.

In theory, but if your man is in Duncan's lap, it's much easier to get back out to you if you're set up at 20' than if you're set up at 25', and almost impossible to get back into Duncan on a re-post from that distance. The threat of making the shot must actually be credible, though.

Blackjack
05-25-2009, 12:38 AM
In theory, but if your man is in Duncan's lap, it's much easier to get back out to you if you're set up at 20' than if you're set up at 25', and almost impossible to get back into Duncan on a re-post from that distance. The threat of making the shot must actually be credible, though.

All true, but you've also got to consider that Tim's game is going to be predicated upon his face-up, more than ever before, going forward.

Pop is really trying to extend Tim's career by limiting the minutes and amount of banging he absorbs in the post, so the skillset needed surrounding Tim will naturely change a bit as his game evolves.

While I don't expect Tim to turn into a M. Okur-type player offensively, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he, at times, becomes the shooting-big out on the floor.

And if that's the case, guys like Gist and Mahinmi should have enough room to thrive alongside Tim, even if his range doesn't extend out to 3.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-25-2009, 01:09 AM

Depends on what part of floor. At top of circle it is 3 feet shorter and at corners is 1 inch shorter.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Gist's team upset Lottomatica Roma in first round. That is a pretty big upset for Italian league.

TDMVPDPOY
05-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Gist's team upset Lottomatica Roma in first round. That is a pretty big upset for Italian league.

statline biatch?

benefactor
05-26-2009, 06:15 PM
In today's game...26min, 13pts, 4reb, 3blk, 3stl, 4-7 FG, 5-8 FT.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-26-2009, 06:33 PM
What is funny is that Brandon Jennings did not even play a single minute in the playoff series against Gist's team. His team benched him and signed some European players to replace him.

Bruno
05-26-2009, 06:49 PM
I caught the game in the money time, it was a nice upset.
Next round for Gist's team is against Milano.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-26-2009, 07:04 PM
I caught the game in the money time, it was a nice upset.
Next round for Gist's team is against Milano.

So he will play against Mike Hall and Maurice Taylor next round. Nice season for Biella but it should end here. It would be huge shock if they can beat such a deep team as Milano.

rayray2k8
05-26-2009, 11:10 PM
3 blocks and 3 steals? nice

Ditty
05-26-2009, 11:54 PM
After watching Chris "The Birdman" Andersen, I really hope Gist can give us that kind of play. Birdman has no offensive abilities except dunking, but if Gist becomes close to what Andersen is doing now I would LOVE it!

i would hope

i hope he comes over this year

Blackjack
05-27-2009, 12:15 AM
After watching Chris "The Birdman" Andersen, I really hope Gist can give us that kind of play. Birdman has no offensive abilities except dunking, but if Gist becomes close to what Andersen is doing now I would LOVE it!

If you're just talking about finishing ability, I guess there's somewhat of a comparison to Birdman.

I'd tend to lean to more of a Balkman comparison.

Balkman might have a better handle but Gist's 3-point shot, and overall ceiling, seem to make him a better prospect imo.

mountainballer
05-27-2009, 04:30 AM
What is funny is that Brandon Jennings did not even play a single minute in the playoff series against Gist's team. His team benched him and signed some European players to replace him.

this wasn't half as funny if you had the slightest clue about Euro basketball.

there is a limit for foreigners and when Roma thought they need frontcourt help for the POs, they signed Slovenian Center Golemac. quite an understandable move, considering they have Becirovic and Jaaber in the back court.
and btw. you might have noticed that Roma has lost, did you? the decision to give Jennings roster spot to Golemac backfired. Golemac was a disaster and didn't help and Jennings would have been needed as back up instead of the poor playing Giachetti. no need to celebrate this move because you think it proves some of your stupid claims that American players are not good enough for Euro basketball. this move in fact might have cost Roma the series.

pad300
05-27-2009, 10:07 AM
If you're just talking about finishing ability, I guess there's somewhat of a comparison to Birdman.

I'd tend to lean to more of a Balkman comparison.

Balkman might have a better handle but Gist's 3-point shot, and overall ceiling, seem to make him a better prospect imo.

He's not going to be Birdman; there's simply too much of a size difference. Birdman is a PF/C tweener; Gist is an SF/PF tweener. But I do like the Balkman comparison. If Gist can give us a Balkman equivalent, he should be on the squad. If he gives us a Balkman who can shoot 3's at a reasonable percentage, that would be AWESOME (Balkman is a career .174 on three's; this current year he's .286 (2/7)), and a starter caliber player. I suspect however, that you are asking a bit much of the kid...

Blackjack
05-27-2009, 01:05 PM
He's not going to be Birdman; there's simply too much of a size difference. Birdman is a PF/C tweener; Gist is an SF/PF tweener. But I do like the Balkman comparison. If Gist can give us a Balkman equivalent, he should be on the squad. If he gives us a Balkman who can shoot 3's at a reasonable percentage, that would be AWESOME (Balkman is a career .174 on three's; this current year he's .286 (2/7)), and a starter caliber player. I suspect however, that you are asking a bit much of the kid...

I'm not seeing much we disagree about.

As for me asking too much of the kid?

All I said is that I'd tend to lean to a Balkman comparison rather than a Birdman comparison. A 3/4 tweener that could play a hustle/energy-role on a team. The fact that he displayed a 3-point shot in Summer League and it seems to have improved to a decent/respectable level while playing overseas, well... As you pointed out. Balkman's never displayed that type of potential.

If you're asking me to compare Balkman and Gist as prospects, I'd tend to lean towards Gist. In fact, the only thing that Balkman seems to have on Gist is his handle; which might not be much of an advantage if Gist has made any improvements while playing overseas.

Gist is 6' 8"/6' 9" with a freakish wingspan, boundless energy, explosive athleticism, and a good work-ethic. Those attributes alone, would make him someone who could at least contribute at the NBA-level. Whether he develops the skillset or finds the right team/coach to put him in position to to be successful? Well, that remains to be seen. But that will probably end up being the difference in Gist being a fringe end-of-bench-guy or an actual rotation role player.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-27-2009, 05:36 PM
this wasn't half as funny if you had the slightest clue about Euro basketball.

there is a limit for foreigners and when Roma thought they need frontcourt help for the POs, they signed Slovenian Center Golemac. quite an understandable move, considering they have Becirovic and Jaaber in the back court.
and btw. you might have noticed that Roma has lost, did you? the decision to give Jennings roster spot to Golemac backfired. Golemac was a disaster and didn't help and Jennings would have been needed as back up instead of the poor playing Giachetti. no need to celebrate this move because you think it proves some of your stupid claims that American players are not good enough for Euro basketball. this move in fact might have cost Roma the series.

Will you STOP pretending you know what you are talking about? You make these fans here believe Jennings is the ONLY player they could have benched. WRONG. They CHOSE to bench him. They CHOSE HIM.

rayray2k8
05-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Will you STOP pretending you know what you are talking about? You make these fans here believe Jennings is the ONLY player they could have benched. WRONG. They CHOSE to bench him. They CHOSE HIM.

Hey Jeff, did it rain in Houston?
KBP bad english in

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Hey Jeff, did it rain in Houston?
KBP bad english in

You are in my ignore list. Good day sir.

Obstructed_View
05-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Good call, rayray. :lol

rayray2k8
05-27-2009, 06:57 PM
:lobt2:
Victory!!

:lmao

KPB>> :pimpslap << ME

How great is that??? I trolled the troll. :lol
Sig worthy.

benefactor
05-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Actually he has moved to Arkansas...one of the few places I would consider a step down from Houston.

According to the IP address of this post, you have moved to Mountain Home, Arkansas.

Where the hell is that?

monosylab1k
05-27-2009, 10:19 PM
he sucks

Solid D
05-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Re-post of stats for James. The green banana is almost yellow. The time is ripe.

Angelico Biella Statistics - Italian League
Season: 2008-2009

# Name Game min...fgm-a 3pm-a ftm-a or..dr..tr..ast..pf..st..bs..pts
20 Smith, Joe 34 29.5 52.3% 39.3% 84.3% 0.6 1.6 2.2 3.7 3.1 2.1 0.0 15.9
15 Gist, James 34 26.9 55.4% 50.6% 70.5% 1.7 4.3 6.0 0.5 3.3 1.7 0.7 13.0
44 Gaines, Reece 34 29.1 46.6% 34.3% 72.2% 0.2 2.3 2.5 3.0 2.2 1.8 0.1 10.6
18 Jerebko, Jonas 34 25.3 57.6% 34.3% 76.6% 2.2 3.3 5.5 0.7 2.6 1.6 0.4 9.1
13 Garri, Luca 34 23.2 57.9% 41.1% 75.5% 2.0 3.9 5.9 0.5 2.9 1.6 0.3 8.4
9 Spinelli, Valerio 32 21.3 47.2% 29.2% 83.3% 0.4 0.9 1.3 3.8 1.3 2.0 0.0 7.7
33 Brunner, Greg 25 18.4 60.9% 33.3% 60.0% 1.8 2.8 4.6 0.2 3.3 1.2 0.0 8.8
21 Aradori, Pietro 34 15.0 49.3% 46.2% 89.2% 0.7 1.2 1.9 0.5 1.6 0.8 0.0 6.1
4 Jurak, Goran 32 16.0 56.2% 24.6% 72.0% 1.4 2.2 3.6 1.0 3.3 1.5 0.1 5.8
8 Raspino, Tommaso 17 4.6 80.0% 33.3% 40.0% 0.2 0.5 0.7 0.2 0.9 0.3 0.0 0.9
45 Plaisted, Trent 2 15.5 80.0% 0.0% 66.7% 0.5 1.5 2.0 0.0 4.0 1.0 0.5 5.0
12 Margheri, Niccolo 2 1.0 0.0% 100.0% 0.0% 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.5
16 Rotondo, Paolo 2 1.0 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0 0.5 0.5 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
12 Raucci, Davide 1 1.0 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
10 Danna, Andrea 2 1.0 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

spursbird
05-27-2009, 11:30 PM
he sucks
Can you PLEASE stop posting like this? How do you know he sucked?

mountainballer
05-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Actually he has moved to Arkansas...one of the few places I would consider a step down from Houston.

the guy is on the run. I wonder why.:lol

Obstructed_View
05-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Can you PLEASE stop posting like this? How do you know he sucked?

Please don't respond when he pollutes the forums. If someone isn't going to ban him then the best thing to do is ignore him.

biziofromdowntown
05-29-2009, 01:02 AM
I'm going to see Biella-Milano serie.
Stay tuned.

Blackjack
05-29-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm going to see Biella-Milano serie.
Stay tuned.

Enjoy the game.:toast

If you get a chance to talk with him again, I'd love to hear what he feels has improved the most in his game since leaving Maryland, what area he feels needs the most improvement, and if there's a player in the NBA (past or present) that he sees as the model for him to be successful at the NBA-level?

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 04:48 PM
As expected Biella lost to Milano in first game of series.

Gist

4-10 FG
0-2 3 PT

8 points
10 rebounds
1 steal
1 block

Keep in mind he is playing against a much more serious team now than the first round opponent.

benefactor
05-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Looks like he had a tough outing scoring, but the rebounding numbers are nice to see though. I am looking forward to biziofromdowntown's take from a in person point of view.

monosylab1k
05-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Please don't respond when he pollutes the forums. If someone isn't going to ban him then the best thing to do is ignore him.

LOL what a whiny little bitch.

benefactor
05-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Next playoff game for Gist is tomorrow. Let's see if he bounces back.

biziofromdowntown
05-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Back 2 u my friends.
James played under his level, and he knew that too as he said to me, but he showed a lot of little big things that u can't read in stat profile. During the palyoff Gist his every time on the game with his mind, and he got a very good low post moves. He played against Maurice Taylor and Mike Hall, former Washington Wizards and never went on he knees.

Look at that video, we need an athlete like James:
http://www.legabaskettv.it/watch/764c8e3a691fa2b3a321/G1:-Armani-Mi-Angelico-Bi

and isn't showed a monster block on an 7 foot center.

Tomorrow will be game2 and, of course, i'm going to see it!

biziofromdowntown
05-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Keep in mind he is playing against a much more serious team now than the first round opponent.

WHAAAAT?
Rome was seed 2, they had players like Brezec and Becirovic n Hutson.....

Milano's fans r really much happy to face Biella than Rome.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Wasn't he on the 7 seed team?

Yes. But Milano is much better team than Roma is.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-30-2009, 06:45 PM
WHAAAAT?
Rome was seed 2, they had players like Brezec and Becirovic n Hutson.....

Milano's fans r really much happy to face Biella than Rome.

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Roma sucks. Becirovic and Brezec are good in offense and horrible horrible HORRIBLE in defense. Roma is a POS team. Milano is a legit team. Milano is FAR better than Roma.

biziofromdowntown
05-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Oh, i can say surely. Gist is 6"9 with shoes and avarege 240 llb.

Biella's GM Marco Atripaldi confirmed to me that Spurs required James for summer league and he thinks to sign him.

Blackjack
05-30-2009, 08:22 PM

Biella's GM Marco Atripaldi confirmed to me that Spurs required James for summer league and he thinks to sign him.

I think I can speak for most of the forum and say, that we appreciate the updates and always look forward to them.:toast

I realize your not in Arkansas, which has to make it quite the chore to keep your eye on the talent in Europe;), but great job nonetheless.

yavozerb
05-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the updates Biz...Good news on the Gist front!!

benefactor
05-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks a lot biziofromdowntown for being our eyes and ears on Gist while he is over there. Can't wait for him to get back over here and join the team. I wish him good luck in the game tomorrow. Tell him we are all pulling for him!

:toast

EricB
05-31-2009, 12:24 AM

We shall see what he can do.

Couldn't do no worse I don't think.

Should add some energetic fun to the team no question.

05-31-2009, 02:43 AM
he will be lebron james with a jump shot.

biziofromdowntown
05-31-2009, 03:04 AM
he will be lebron james with a jump shot.

mmmmm....no :toast

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-31-2009, 04:57 PM
From what I see Maurice Taylor is better than him. Gist needs to move to a bigger club and get a year in a bigger club and better league. He should take that Maccabi offer before he comes to NBA.

benefactor
05-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Looks like Angelica Biella won in overtime. I don't have a line for Gist yet.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Looks like Angelica Biella won in overtime. I don't have a line for Gist yet.

It is this

4-7 FG
1-1 3 PT
1-1 FT

10 points
4 rebounds
1 assist
3 steals
1 block

MaNu4Tres
05-31-2009, 06:54 PM
It is this

4-7 FG
1-1 3 PT
1-1 FT

10 points
4 rebounds
1 assist
3 steals
1 block

How many minutes?

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-31-2009, 06:59 PM
how many minutes?

benefactor
05-31-2009, 07:01 PM
http://www.eurobasket.com/boxScores/Italy/2009/0531_2106_4.asp

Looks like it was a pretty balanced game from Biella. Only 82pts with 6 players in double figures.

Pucho!!!
06-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I love seein the consistency in defense from Gist. Its refreshing to see!

biziofromdowntown
06-01-2009, 01:50 PM
The block was on the last throw from Milan...great D by James!

By the way, he didn't play a great agrressive game cause he went in foul troble in first quarter.

45 bank shot
06-01-2009, 07:54 PM
so when will we know if Gist is coming to San Antonio or not?

benefactor
06-01-2009, 08:00 PM
so when will we know if Gist is coming to San Antonio or not?
He will be here for the Summer League.

mountainballer
06-02-2009, 03:57 AM
The block was on the last throw from Milan...great D by James!

By the way, he didn't play a great agrressive game cause he went in foul troble in first quarter.

thanks for all the great inside information bizio!
some questions:
what about the people from Biella? do they care?
I guess it's not more than one hour to drive from Biella to Milano, so will there be a lot of Biella fans to the Milano game tonight? as far as I remember the Milano home crowd isn't exactly the loudest in the world and Milano peope don't care much for their basketball team. could this become a home court game for Biella, if enough fans go for the short trip to Milano?

benefactor
06-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Very tough game for Gist today. He missed all three of his shots and only scored 3pts in the loss. It's a little disheartening to see him struggle with his scoring in this series.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Very tough game for Gist today. He missed all three of his shots and only scored 3pts in the loss. It's a little disheartening to see him struggle with his scoring in this series.

Milano team >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than Roma team. It is a much higher level opponent. And for Gist himself has to go against Mike Hall and Maurice Taylor. They are average players for Euroleague level but still this is much much better than Roma front line.

Brazil
06-02-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm feeling guilty right now each time I see KBP posting a strange force obliges me to go and see what stupidity is gonna post. Shame on me !

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-04-2009, 07:13 PM
As expected Milano eliminated Biella 3-1. Biella missed chance to play in Euroleague because of the loss.

In last game Gist had

28 minutes

4-8 FG
0-0 3 PT
5-8 FT

13 points
6 rebounds

Maurice Taylor was by far much more dominant in front court for this series than Gist was. Gist needs to play in a bigger European club before he tries NBA.

benefactor
06-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm kinda glad. I'm ready for him to come on over and get ready to join the team for the Summer League.

Blackjack
06-05-2009, 01:52 AM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2009/6/4/898637/lets-love-us-up-some-euro-spurs

mystargtr34
06-05-2009, 03:29 AM
No biggie, James Gist was going up against a top 5 player in Europe, in Maurice Taylor.

Nothing to see here.

biziofromdowntown
06-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I saw James for last time i think. His last game was better than other in this serie against Milano, he and Jerebko was the last to give up, and finally he showed good moves from mid-rage and nice D. he's team was totally out of fuel, so he went by himself and started earning 4 fouls with low post moves. he finished with only one foul (doubtful). Ita lked with him after the game and he said he's very excited to come in silver n black, and he's dream is to play in SA, but he confessed he thinks to have to lean more n more before become a NBA role player level, but he would to try to built his skills this summer.

06-05-2009, 06:07 PM
:wow according to draft express, gist's wingspan is 7'4". i thought it was only around 7 feet. compared to prince, gist's wingspan is even more ridiculous.

benefactor
06-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I saw James for last time i think. His last game was better than other in this serie against Milano, he and Jerebko was the last to give up, and finally he showed good moves from mid-rage and nice D. he's team was totally out of fuel, so he went by himself and started earning 4 fouls with low post moves. he finished with only one foul (doubtful). Ita lked with him after the game and he said he's very excited to come in silver n black, and he's dream is to play in SA, but he confessed he thinks to have to lean more n more before become a NBA role player level, but he would to try to built his skills this summer.
Thanks again for all the updates. Hopefully I get to watch him in person this year too.

:toast:flag:

Blackjack
06-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks again for all the updates. Hopefully I get to watch him in person this year too.

:toast:flag:

+1 :toast

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-07-2009, 03:32 AM
No biggie, James Gist was going up against a top 5 player in Europe, in Maurice Taylor.

Nothing to see here.

A top 5 player on Milano team. That is what you meant to say dumbass.

Obstructed_View
06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
A top 5 player on Milano team. That is what you meant to say dumbass.

Shut up, you stupid twat.

porksword
06-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Wow, KBP so much hate. You need to look up in an American dictionary the term "douche" you will more than likely see your picture.

Manufan909
06-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Wow, KBP so much hate. You need to look up in an American dictionary the term "douche" you will more than likely see your picture.

Why is your cat watching mer jack off!?! Not cool, dude.:downspin:

Blackjack
06-16-2009, 12:16 PM
An Interview with James Gist

The Spurs do things differently. We all know this is true, but it helps to stop and check the score once in awhile. One thing that sets the Spurs apart from other teams is there use of the Austin Toros and international leagues as part of their player development. “Yes, I know,” you say. “Why remind us now?”

As we’re busy thinking about the upcoming draft, let’s not forget that Marcus Williams, Malik Hairston and James Gist are better than almost any player the Spurs will draft in the second round. It may well be the case that San Antonio will add youth and athleticism to their 2009-10 roster through the fruit of their 2007 and 2008 drafts, not to mention their work through the Toros and friendship with Angelica Biella.

Last July James Gist captured the attention of Spurs Nation with his strong summer league play, and most fans would like to see a reprise this July. I had a chance to catch up with Gist last week.

TV: How was the experience of living abroad for a year?

JG: I don’t really have any crazy stories about living in Italy. For the most part, things went how I expected. When I first arrived in Italy I was a bit upset–I felt that I belonged in the NBA, not overseas. After the first couple months went by I decided to accept that fact that I’m over here and to make the best of my situation. One thing my agent, Bill Duffy, told me was that “life is like a card game at times, your not always given the best cards, but you have to play the hand your dealt. So why not make the best of it.” Around November I took that into consideration and did the best I could to make the situation positive. Looking back on the decision the Spurs and I made for myself to come overseas, I think it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. This is definitely an experience I will always remember. I am very happy that I made the decision to come to Italy for a year. I grew as a basketball player learning a lot more about the game, but, more importantly, I grew as a person.

TV: Tell me about Biella, the city and the team. From your perspective, how does the level of talent of Serie A compare to the ACC?

JG: The city of Biella fits me because I have a laid back personality and I enjoy relaxing and not always being in the limelight. Biella has about 50-60,000 residents. Everyone I meet or walk by always has a smile, they’re very nice, and say thank you for coming to Biella. The people were supportive whether we won or lost.

As far as the competition goes, international basketball is a lot more competitive than the collegiate level. In college you usually have 1 or 2–if your lucky 3 good players–on your team. That’s enough to carry you to a national championship. In Europe, every person on the team makes nearly a million dollars and they have been playing together for years. Countries stand behind their hometown team. It’s bigger and the competition is greater.

In college when a team or player misses a defensive assignment, the opposing team may not be good enough to execute and punish the team for messing up. If you leave someone open in Europe they will punish you every time. Through my experience I feel like individually one person can’t beat a team overseas, as opposed to the States where teams usually have one go-to-guy that will carry the team the entire game. However as a team, Europe is perfect for learning how to play the game right. Knowing when to make the right passes, when to run on a fast break or slow the tempo down, who to get the ball to when the time is right, all comes in to play when you play team basketball. I think in the States we have more of an individual game, not to say that we don’t have great teams. But during NCAA games you see more isolation sets than you do overseas.

TV: Last year, you had a phenomenal summer league. You quickly became a fan favorite amongst Spurs fans–they were disappointed not to see you camp with the team. How has your game improved since then? What specific skills did you work on in Biella?

JG: I became more mature as a basketball player. I had the chance to play with and against some good veteran players. They may not have been as young or as athletic as me, but they made it work and found other ways to be effective on the court. That helped me understand how to play the game and the important things I needed to know, whether a small trick and how to effectively use technique without relying on pure athleticism. I learned how to be more physical, improved my shooting, and worked hard on being at full energy the entire time I’m on the court. But most of all, I improved my basketball IQ. I understand the game much better now than I did even a year ago.

TV: Do you plan to summer league and camp with the Spurs? If not, is a team like Maccabi in your future?

JG: My plan is to play in the NBA summer league this upcoming July, preferably with the Spurs. My overall goal is to be on an NBA team this upcoming season, again preferably the Spurs. If for some reason that does not happen then I’m sure I can play overseas.

TV: One of the things Spurs fans debate amongst themselves is whether you’re a long 3 or a high energy, small ball 4. Assuming you come to the NBA next season, what position do you think is a more natural fit?

JG: I’m a little bit of both. I have the potential to develop into a 3 offensively, but defensively I’m comfortable guarding small and power forwards, as well as some point or shooting guards if necessary. I’ve played in the post area my entire life so naturally I can play the 4, but I can see myself developing into a solid 3 man in the near future.

TV: The Spurs feature a “stretch 4″ in their offense. That is, a forward that is able to knock down threes and create space for Tim Duncan. Based on your play for Biella, it looks like you could fill that role. How does a Robert Horry type role appeal to you?

JG: Robert Horry did great things while playing in the NBA, so those are big shoes to fill. I want to come into the NBA and start my own legacy, if possible. I plan to work hard and do whatever I can to help the team I play with win games. If I work hard enough maybe I will hit game winning shots and win championships too.

TV: I was at the Draft Combine a couple weeks ago. Every player there expected to be on an NBA roster next season. Obviously, that isn’t going to happen. What advice would you give to guys who will soon find themselves in your position? That is, of being asked to play abroad for a season or two to improve their games prior to coming to the NBA. What advice might you give Greivis Vasquez?

JG: I would say that if a team suggest you do one or two years overseas, take that opportunity to learn and grow and experience new things. In the end it will pay off. Before I came over here I thought I knew everything and thought I was more grown up than I actually was. This was my first time living by myself with no family or friends nearby. I had to try and learn a new language so that I could communicate with people here, and I had to adjust to my surroundings. Now that I’ve completed my year I’m better ball player and, more importantly, a better person. As for Greivis, I wish him nothing but luck in whether he decides to stay in the draft this year or go back to Maryland. (Ed. Note: Vasquez has decided to return to school.)

Thanks for your time, James. Good luck.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/06/16/an-interview-with-james-gist/

urunobili
06-16-2009, 12:17 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/06/16/an-interview-with-james-gist/

I posted it on the main forum too... :king

Blackjack
06-16-2009, 12:23 PM
I posted it on the main forum too... :king

That's cool.:tu

I checked, but didn't see it.:toast

urunobili
06-16-2009, 12:39 PM
That's cool.:tu

I checked, but didn't see it.:toast

I meant that I did it AFTER you posted it on here... so it could have a little more exposure :)

:downspin:

Blackjack
06-16-2009, 12:44 PM
I meant that I did it AFTER you posted it on here... so it could have a little more exposure :)

Be careful with that "more exposure."

People get arrested for that sort of thing.:hat

TDMVPDPOY
06-16-2009, 09:43 PM
if gists doesnt make it on the roster next season....fuck fo.

gists is irreplaceable!!!

loveforthegame
06-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Nice interview.

I hope he has a nice showing in the summer league and the Spurs are forced to bring him over. Even if it will be with the Toros.

Borosai
06-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I hope he and the rest of the younger guys get a fair shot this year. He sounds like he's ready.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-16-2009, 10:30 PM
James Gist -

"As far as the competition goes, international basketball is a lot more competitive than the collegiate level. In college you usually have 1 or 2–if your lucky 3 good players–on your team. That’s enough to carry you to a national championship. In Europe, every person on the team makes nearly a million dollars and they have been playing together for years. Countries stand behind their hometown team. It’s bigger and the competition is greater.

In college when a team or player misses a defensive assignment, the opposing team may not be good enough to execute and punish the team for messing up. If you leave someone open in Europe they will punish you every time."

Looks like A LOT of members owes me an apology here. Especially considering the league Gist played in is maybe half as good as the Euroleague is. So what do all the people here that say "NCAA is better than Euroleague" have to say now?

Gist says Italian League (which is much lower than Euroleague) is much better than NCAA. So where are the apologies for all the insults I have taken here for things like this?

TheProfessor
06-16-2009, 10:52 PM
James Gist -

"As far as the competition goes, international basketball is a lot more competitive than the collegiate level. In college you usually have 1 or 2–if your lucky 3 good players–on your team. That’s enough to carry you to a national championship. In Europe, every person on the team makes nearly a million dollars and they have been playing together for years. Countries stand behind their hometown team. It’s bigger and the competition is greater.

In college when a team or player misses a defensive assignment, the opposing team may not be good enough to execute and punish the team for messing up. If you leave someone open in Europe they will punish you every time."

Looks like A LOT of members owes me an apology here. Especially considering the league Gist played in is maybe half as good as the Euroleague is. So what do all the people here that say "NCAA is better than Euroleague" have to say now?

Gist says Italian League (which is much lower than Euroleague) is much better than NCAA. So where are the apologies for all the insults I have taken here for things like this?
Many of us are fine with European basketball. It's you we despise. Really, if you vanished from Spurstalk, I'm sure there would be a dramatic decrease in the Euro-bashing that happens here. So please, support your own cause and GTFO you miserable proxy-using Comcast troll.

tomtom
06-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Nice interview, he better be on the team next year.

Obstructed_View
06-17-2009, 12:12 AM
James Gist -

I'm sorry you're such an idiot.

Tully365
06-18-2009, 02:35 AM
TV: One of the things Spurs fans debate amongst themselves is whether you’re a long 3 or a high energy, small ball 4. Assuming you come to the NBA next season, what position do you think is a more natural fit?

JG: I’m a little bit of both. I have the potential to develop into a 3 offensively, but defensively I’m comfortable guarding small and power forwards, as well as some point or shooting guards if necessary. I’ve played in the post area my entire life so naturally I can play the 4, but I can see myself developing into a solid 3 man in the near future.

This should settle a few debates...

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-18-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm sorry you're such an idiot.

I KNOW who you are now.

tp2021
06-18-2009, 11:01 AM
I KNOW who you are now.

And we know where you live.

benefactor
06-18-2009, 01:20 PM
I KNOW who you are now.
http://www.cityofmountainhome.com/

barbacoataco
06-29-2009, 02:17 PM
With the current salary situation, and the fact that the Spurs are nearly maxed out and still need 4-5 more players, what are the chances Gist makes it onto the team? As Marcus Bryant pointed out in another thread, once the Spurs sign their big man with all or part of the MLE, they will have to sign cheap players for all the remaining spots. Gist, Hairston, Marcus Williams, Mahinmi and McClinton could all benefit from this.

Also if Gist is on the team, does he fit into the SF/SG part of the rotation, or is he a PF for smallball lineups? If Finley doesn't opt in, and they can't resign Bowen, the Spurs would need either Hairston, Williams or Gist for the SF/SG rotation. If Finley does come back then they have Jefferson/Finley/Ginobili/Mason and don't really need much help, but there would be a 5th and maybe 6th wing who would possibly be on the IR.

Also, if Mahinmi fails to make it, and the Spurs only sign one FA big man, then they could turn to Gist and Blair to fill in at PF. Duncan, bonner and "FA" only makes 3 bigs when they usually have 5-6 on the 15 man roster. Even with Mahinmi that is only 4 bigs. And if thyey sign 2 FA bigs and Mahinmi makes it onto the active roster, there still is room for a 6th big man on the IR/Toros.

TimDunkem
06-29-2009, 02:21 PM
With the current salary situation, and the fact that the Spurs are nearly maxed out and still need 4-5 more players, what are the chances Gist makes it onto the team? As Marcus Bryant pointed out in another thread, once the Spurs sign their big man with all or part of the MLE, they will have to sign cheap players for all the remaining spots. Gist, Hairston, Marcus Williams, Mahinmi and McClinton could all benefit from this.

Also if Gist is on the team, does he fit into the SF/SG part of the rotation, or is he a PF for smallball lineups? If Finley doesn't opt in, and they can't resign Bowen, the Spurs would need either Hairston, Williams or Gist for the SF/SG rotation. If Finley does come back then they have Jefferson/Finley/Ginobili/Mason and don't really need much help, but there would be a 5th and maybe 6th wing who would possibly be on the IR.

Also, if Mahinmi fails to make it, and the Spurs only sign one FA big man, then they could turn to Gist and Blair to fill in at PF. Duncan, bonner and "FA" only makes 3 bigs when they usually have 5-6 on the 15 man roster. Even with Mahinmi that is only 4 bigs. And if thyey sign 2 FA bigs and Mahinmi makes it onto the active roster, there still is room for a 6th big man on the IR/Toros.
Mahinmi CANNOT play on the Toros. He's ON the team.

D-ROB 50
06-29-2009, 02:27 PM

I'm hoping can we sign a quality big, someone who can give us a good 8pts and 7brds per. I also feel that blair and gist can get the job done with youth and hustle. Hopefully with the addition of RJ scoring will no longer be the issue and we can concentrate on a guy who can defend Gasol and get some tough rebounds. Ian has alot to prove this season.

Marcus Bryant
06-29-2009, 02:30 PM

Well, they could still use the LLE and I would not rule out a trade at this point, even if they land a starting bigman in free agency. While I am obviously bullish on Blair's potential, if the Spurs can land a 3rd bigman (ie Foster) via trade, they should do so.

Gist would fit as a 3/4, giving the Spurs a big 3 against big frontcourts and a small 4 against small lineups. He is potentially a huge asset for the team if he can step out on the perimeter and defend quick players while having 3 point range on the offensive end. He would be the elusive 'big 3' who the Spurs have been seeking for the last 4 years or so. I am quite wary about the Spurs moving Mason, as they could really thin out their swingman rotation by doing that.

Mahinmi as 'made it' as far as an active roster spot goes for next season. I expect the Spurs to sign a starting big in free agency and I would not be surprised to see them make a trade for a '1st off the bench' bigman. Starting the season with Blair and Mahinmi as the 4th and 5th bigs makes a lot of sense.

barbacoataco
06-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Mahinmi as 'made it' as far as an active roster spot goes for next season. I expect the Spurs to sign a starting big in free agency and I would not be surprised to see them make a trade for a '1st off the bench' bigman. Starting the season with Blair and Mahinmi as the 4th and 5th bigs makes a lot of sense.[/QUOTE]

I mean "made it" in the sense of actually playing well enough to get minutes, and staying healthy. He has not shown that he can so either. Don't get me wrong, I am hoping he kills, its just that he is kind of a big unknown.

robot89
07-09-2009, 06:44 PM
any word on the gist yet???

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 01:20 AM
if he tells you to touch it, would you touch it? :rollin

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 01:21 AM
100% boner amounted to nothing. i dont see how this guy could not be an improvement over what we have now. he would literally have to just stand thre, or maybe throw the ball into the stands every time he touched it.
:rollin

Bruno
08-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Cajasol (Spanish team) is said to be interested in him:

http://www.diariodesevilla.es/article/deportes/487690/scariolo/no/quiere/jankunas.html

biziofromdowntown
11-09-2009, 06:01 AM
is he disappear?

ChumpDumper
11-10-2009, 04:23 PM
[disregard, wishful thinking]

lefty
11-10-2009, 04:34 PM
The Gist !!!!!

(Sorry if thid post wan't constructive)

biziofromdowntown
12-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Wow, what a strange destiny for The Gist...

biziofromdowntown
12-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Gist to Lokomotiv Moska.

mountainballer
12-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Gist to Lokomotiv Moska.

actually it's Lokomotiv Kuban Krasnodar.
(Krasnodar is a city in the south of Russia, close to the Black Sea)

biziofromdowntown
12-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Yeah, sorry, bad sourche

Libri
12-10-2009, 01:12 AM
He finally appears.

biziofromdowntown
12-13-2009, 06:23 PM
First game in Russia. 20 min, 11 points, 2/6 2, 2/2 3, 1dreb, 3Fouls

tav1
12-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Not that they're the same, but they did play on the same team last year. Jonas Jerebko looks like a legit player for the Pistons.

Mel_13
12-14-2009, 07:40 PM
No. Jerebko played for Angelico Biella. Gist played for Pallacanestro Biella.

Different names for the same team. Jerebko and Gist were teammates last season.

Mel_13
12-14-2009, 07:41 PM

Same team just signed Gerald Green as well.

mountainballer
12-15-2009, 04:20 AM
Oh. Europe continues to be weird then.

they just include the name of the team sponsor in the team name. and those sponsors can change. has been like this for decades and is part of the business. maybe not more weired than naming the team after some annoying insects or cowboy equipment.

admiralsnackbar
12-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Different names for the same team. Jerebko and Gist were teammates last season.

So how does that work? Is one the club name and the other the team sponsor? Or something more interesting?

Mel_13
12-15-2009, 10:29 AM
So how does that work? Is one the club name and the other the team sponsor? Or something more interesting?

I believe so.

Biella is the name of the town.

Pallacanestro Biella is the proper name of the team.

Angelico (a textiles company) is the primary sponsor.

See the team website:

http://www.pallacanestrobiella.it/

biziofromdowntown
12-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeap, Biella is a small town near Tourin

admiralsnackbar
12-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks, guys.

angelbelow
12-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Any updates on this guy?

biziofromdowntown
12-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Nope, russian league is very little, he played just 2 matches so far. The second one with 10 points and 3 rebounds

biziofromdowntown
01-23-2010, 01:22 PM
James Gist (http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=RUS&PlayerID=33863) http://www.eurobasket.com/images/vid.gif (http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=RUS&PlayerID=33863) (203-F-86) - new power forward of Lokomotiv Kuban - was interviewed by Eurobasket.com. He told about his current shape, strengths and weaknesses and shared his thoughts about Russian team.

James, how was your summer and autumn where did you practice and train?
My summer was good. My daughter Maliyah was born on July 20 the happiest day of my life. I worked out and trained with the San Antonio Spurs the entire summer and fall.

You were selected at NBA 2008 Draft right after Sasha Kaun CSKA player. So I suppose he is the one you are familiar with, right? Did you know someone else from Russian Superleague before arriving to our country?
Yes, I know Sasha Kaun. But I don't know anyone who plays in the Russian Superleague.

Some guys from 2008 draft preferred to stay in USA and play in D-League (Ajinca, Dorsey for example) while you moved to Italy and now Russia. Why?
It just gives me an opportunity to develop and at the same time experience new cultures. Plus, the competition of the Italian league and now the Russian Superleague is the best.

Did you get offers from other teams or Lokomotiv was the only interested in you?
I had several offers. It was clear that Lokomotiv had the best situation for me.

How long did it take to adapt from college basketball and rules to European ones?
Maybe 3 months.

What are your biggest strengths as a power forward?
My speed, my athleticism and my ability to shoot the ball from the 3pt. line.

What is easier for you play inside the paint or outside?
I would say the mid post and 15ft is my comfort zone.

What are your weaknesses as a player? How do you working on them?
My ball handling is not my strongest part of my game, however, I am effective when putting the ball on the floor. That's just something I would always like to improve.

Your first impressions of the team Lokomotiv and your new teammates?
An opportunity to win the Russian League. And I have great teammates, so many different personalities

Why did your team fail to win any game in December your opinion?
I feel that maybe we, as a team, didn't have a sense of urgency. But, it's not who plays the best in the beginnings of the season. It's who gets better as the year goes on and is the best in February-April.

Last season you've played 27 minutes per game at Biella. Your current physical shape allows you to be so much time on the floor?
Yes. Because I am a high energy player, my conditioning is a major part of my game.

Your thoughts about Spurs and their perspectives to make NBA Finals this season? Do you watch NBA games on regular basis?
I watch the league games whenever I have a chance to. The main goal of San Antonio Spurs, unlike many teams in the NBA, is a Championship every season. They don't play just to make the playoffs. They play to win Championships: with that attitude the Spurs have a great chance to win this year.

You had a blog at http://jamesgist.yardbarker.com/ Why did you stop posting there? Where we can find you online?
I felt at the time that starting a blog for myself wasn't the best thing for me. I wanted to focus just on playing basketball.

Tell about your most remembered moments from this year negative and positive?
Most positive was my daughter being born. Most negative was having to leave her to come play basketball overseas.

What will you wish to yourself and our readers in 2010?
That we have great second half of the season and bring home a Russian Superleague Championship.

benefactor
01-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Unless Gist makes major strides with his ball handling and defense he will not make it in the NBA. He and Haislip are similar, so I think he will probably wind up like Haislip in that he will spend most of his career overseas.

Libri
02-15-2010, 03:39 AM
It looks like Gist is now forgotten. His last two games he scored 19 and 17 pts. Unfortunately he was 3-12 in his last game.

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=RUS&PlayerID=33863