04-29-2009, 05:12 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_dahntay_jones.jpg

Dahntay Jones | G - F
Born: Dec 27, 1980
Height: 6-6 / 1,98
Weight: 210 lbs. / 95,3 kg.
College: Duke
Years Pro: 5

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dahntay_jones/index.html)

timvp
04-29-2009, 06:43 AM
He's looked like a damn good defender at times this season. The problem is he can't shoot and his offensive game probably wouldn't provide enough spacing for the Big Three.

timvp
04-29-2009, 07:46 AM
If we were to sign him to a long term deal chances are he would be sent straight to Chip England.He's closing in on 30 and his shot has actually improved a lot since his days at Duke. I doubt he can improve much more.

TheProfessor
04-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Bruce is likely gone, we need someone to take up the perimeter defender mantle in the short term. If we could portion out the MLE between him and Rasheed, that would be ideal, but I doubt Rasheed would settle for that. Do we have our biennial exception this year?

SenorSpur
04-29-2009, 10:11 AM
I know his shot still needs work, but based upon the stellar defensive effort he threw down on Chris Paul and the fact that the Spurs have limited financial flexibility, he'd be my choice as a swingman addition.

The only player that would make me forget about him would be Ron Artest, who is also a UFA and will be way too expensive.

loveforthegame
04-29-2009, 10:52 AM
His defense has been something this season. Especially out on the permeter. He's certainly worth a look and could be cheap enough for the Spurs.

His shot is what might hold the Spurs back.

exstatic
04-30-2009, 07:17 PM
He's closing in on 30 and his shot has actually improved a lot since his days at Duke. I doubt he can improve much more.

Actually, he's 28, closing in on 29. There are no perfect players that are affordable. I think you have to be happy with his D, and take a chance that maybe Chip works his magic again.

04-30-2009, 07:34 PM
spurs need to work on their defense again. he'll come cheap and the spurs will be desperate for a perimeter stopper. it will be better than resigning udoka. bowen obviously lost a step or two and next year he will be another year older. mason is mediocre on the defensive end and the spurs also don't want ginobili exerting too much energy on defense.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 07:43 PM
I would gladly have Ime off the roster to get a more athletic version minus the three point shot. Funny stat - Ime made just 33% of his three pointers, while Dahntay made 65%...on 17 attempts :lol

04-30-2009, 07:47 PM
he's also capable of taking it to the basket, something only ginobili, parker, and hopefully hill can do.

EricB
04-30-2009, 07:50 PM
If he's still there in August, you offer the LLE if the SFSG position hasn't been addressed.

exstatic
04-30-2009, 09:32 PM
If he's still there in August, you offer the LLE if the SFSG position hasn't been addressed.

...and Denver happily matches and thanks SA.

EricB
04-30-2009, 09:37 PM

He ain't worth anymore than that.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 09:39 PM
He's unrestricted. LLE won't get it done, but Denver could be heading into the Luxury Tax. They may not feel inclined to offer him much more.

StoneBuddha
04-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Have you forgotten the man in your icon? Bruce didn't play his best defense until after his 30th birthday, and players like Reggie Miller have stated that. Plus a jump shot is actually an aspect where age does not come into play. Wilt Chamberlain worked on an outside game after his retirement and could shoot better in his 40s than he did in his basketball career.

Also, what kind of shooter was Bruce when he first came over? He seems to have gotten better since his early 30's. There seems to be some parallels here... a late bloomer who's grown into a defensive role later in his career.

EricB
04-30-2009, 11:00 PM
But thats all dependent on Dahntay Jones being as tireless of a worker as Bruce Bowen.

mountainballer
05-01-2009, 03:51 AM
he's also capable of taking it to the basket, something only ginobili, parker, and hopefully hill can do.

and Hairston could.

MagnusKrauss
05-02-2009, 05:56 AM
What about his character? Would he survive under Pop? I agree that he does look like someone we could trust with an important defensive assignment, but would he survive the doghouse once he blows an assignment?

SenorSpur
05-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Have you forgotten the man in your icon? Bruce didn't play his best defense until after his 30th birthday, and players like Reggie Miller have stated that. Plus a jump shot is actually an aspect where age does not come into play. Wilt Chamberlain worked on an outside game after his retirement and could shoot better in his 40s than he did in his basketball career.

Amen.

Offensive skills are more easily developed than defensive skills. Kid has got the right mindset. If his price is reasonable, he'd be worth a look.

Nuggets have some definite financial commitments (Andersen, Smith, Kleiza, Jones) and they will not be able to keep all those guys.

Ditty
05-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Ariza over Jones anytime of the week even on weekend

VI_Massive
05-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Ariza over Jones anytime of the week even on weekend

Yes, but only because of the size difference. And Jones could actually be available, whereas I am pretty sure LA will make a big point of signing Ariza, who wants to stay in LA.

Ditty
05-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Yes, but only because of the size difference. And Jones could actually be available, whereas I am pretty sure LA will make a big point of signing Ariza, who wants to stay in LA.

agree he wants to stay in LA but pop will pull something special maybbe like a dat eiwth ariza or something :lol

but jones wouldn't be bad

just hope he is not a one and done guy

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-07-2009, 01:09 AM
Jones did look shut-down at times this year, but I bet he gets something like 9-12mil/3yrs to stay with the Nuggets, and you know the Spurs aren't offering anything but 1 year contracts this year (unless they scrap the 2010 plan, which is unlikely).

Spurs Brazil
07-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Pacers land Jones
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 5 minutes ago

Free-agent guard Dahntay Jones(notes) has agreed to a four-year, $11 million contract with the Indiana Pacers, his agent Mark Bartelstein.

Jones, 28, started for the Denver Nuggets during their run to the Western Conference finals last season. He averaged 5.4 points and 2.1 rebounds,

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmMQDg3JeXRAfH.0eLtTlEHTjdIF?slug=aw-jonespacers070809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

kbrury
07-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Pacers land Jones
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 5 minutes ago

Free-agent guard Dahntay Jones(notes) has agreed to a four-year, $11 million contract with the Indiana Pacers, his agent Mark Bartelstein.

Jones, 28, started for the Denver Nuggets during their run to the Western Conference finals last season. He averaged 5.4 points and 2.1 rebounds,

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmMQDg3JeXRAfH.0eLtTlEHTjdIF?slug=aw-jonespacers070809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Good for Jones.

Spurtacus
07-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Well, at least he went to the East.

timvp
07-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Damn, that's a heck of a contract for a player who was recently out of the league.

Props to Jones.

Ditty
07-09-2009, 12:05 AM
damn i wish the spurs pulled a sign and trade for this guy

tmtcsc
07-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I really liked Jones, I thought he could have been a great defender for us. I'd prefer him over Finley at this point. But that price is a little steep for a guy that struggled against taller players.

He owns Chris Paul though. He locked him down in the playoffs like no other player I've ever seen.

SenorSpur
07-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I really liked Jones, I thought he could have been a great defender for us. I'd prefer him over Finley at this point. But that price is a little steep for a guy that struggled against taller players.

He owns Chris Paul though. He locked him down in the playoffs like no other player I've ever seen.

Amen!

More power to him.

tmtcsc
07-09-2009, 10:19 AM
He's looked like a damn good defender at times this season. The problem is he can't shoot and his offensive game probably wouldn't provide enough spacing for the Big Four.

Fixed