PDA

View Full Version : Time to reinvent the Spurs

Bosell
04-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Last night's game went just as I expected. A humiliating home loss by a team that has been effectively reduced to two players. Everyone can figure out for themselves who those two are. The rest just...for lack of a better expression, SUCKED!

Hopefully this will finally force the Spurs management to gut the team and start fresh, even if it means a couple of lean years to get up to speed. Without elaborating too much right now, the following players need to go, no matter what:

Mason
Bonner
Thomas
Finley
Oberto
Bowen
Ginobili

All of these are either seriously over the hill (Thomas, Finley, Bowen) or lacking the right stuff to compete at the top level in the NBA (Mason, Bonner, Oberto). And then there is the overall pain in the ass Ginobili. The idiotic tango Spurs chose to play with his injuries was a factor that hastened the team's demise. Thank you Manu for your contributions but San Antonio has no need for your circus act any more.

And while I think that Pop has been a great coach, I think it is time to think moving him to the front office and find some fresh coaching talent who can motivate the team to become winners again. The Spurs overall lack of effort and intensity in this series was way more embarrassing than the exit.

Besides, there is plenty to do in the front office. The Spurs free agent game only went so far and now they are left with two top players, a good prospect (who did not get to play when it would have counted) and one or two supporting players. At the shape the Spurs find themselves in, there is no instant budding. In the best scenario, it will be a couple of years until the Spurs will be a serious contender again. But I much prefer that to the overachieving mediocrity that has been the Spurs trademark the last two years.

Still a Spurs fan. But reality has set in. :flag:

Agloco
04-29-2009, 07:59 AM
The problem was that Pop tried to reinvent the Spurs this year, with disastrous results.

Now we're left with a team that has another year of this junk to look forward to.

Bosell
04-29-2009, 08:04 AM
The problem was that Pop tried to reinvent the Spurs this year, with disastrous results.

Now we're left with a team that has another year of this junk to look forward to.

I guess Pop was not familiar with the old truth, "You cannot polish a turd." As evidenced by Bonner, Mason etc.

poop
04-29-2009, 08:34 AM
waive everyone including duncan and parker and club their legs till they break, fire every single person employed by the spurs organization, round up the entire FO and execute them, get their families and put them in internment camps, rename franchise and redesign everything, guillotine pop publically in alamo plaza, give all the players' pets antifreeze before they can escape, blow up atnt center then crop dust the ruins with herpes, start completely over from scratch rebuild a hemisphere arena downtown, hire me as the owner/gm/coach, ill hit the streets/gyms with some associates and round up some good prospect black guys to fill out our roster, start anew.

ElNono
04-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Last night's game went just as I expected. A humiliating home loss by a team that has been effectively reduced to two players. Everyone can figure out for themselves who those two are. The rest just...for lack of a better expression, SUCKED!

Hopefully this will finally force the Spurs management to gut the team and start fresh, even if it means a couple of lean years to get up to speed. Without elaborating too much right now, the following players need to go, no matter what:

Mason
Bonner
Thomas
Finley
Oberto
Bowen
Ginobili

All of these are either seriously over the hill (Thomas, Finley, Bowen) or lacking the right stuff to compete at the top level in the NBA (Mason, Bonner, Oberto). And then there is the overall pain in the ass Ginobili. The idiotic tango Spurs chose to play with his injuries was a factor that hastened the team's demise. Thank you Manu for your contributions but San Antonio has no need for your circus act any more.

And while I think that Pop has been a great coach, I think it is time to think moving him to the front office and find some fresh coaching talent who can motivate the team to become winners again. The Spurs overall lack of effort and intensity in this series was way more embarrassing than the exit.

Besides, there is plenty to do in the front office. The Spurs free agent game only went so far and now they are left with two top players, a good prospect (who did not get to play when it would have counted) and one or two supporting players. At the shape the Spurs find themselves in, there is no instant budding. In the best scenario, it will be a couple of years until the Spurs will be a serious contender again. But I much prefer that to the overachieving mediocrity that has been the Spurs trademark the last two years.

So, Vaughn is staying then?
And if you expect the Spurs to overhaul more than half the roster, then you're out of your mind. Not gonna happen.
And BTW, Ginobili is not going anywhere.

Rogue
04-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Spurs really need to get a little bit younger, so a couple of moves and trades are necessary. But it's still too early for spurs to start an absolute rebuild. Duncan still has several good years to play while Tony Longoria is right in orgasm, :lol it would be a big waste of Duncan's life to let Tim play on a lottery team like Thunders. Those 10 expiring contracts like Manu's and Bruce's are very attractive to those James chasers like Jersey and Knicks, so it is a good option to trade them before they expires. Manu&Bruce for Carter seems pretty good for both Nets and Spurs.

:flag:

WalterBenitez
04-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Rebuild the team around TP, give him some good shooters and big boys in the paint, Manu and TD are good for 20/25 minutes per game (no more).

raspsa
04-29-2009, 09:06 AM
No major overhaul needed, just a healthy Big 3 and maybe Gist and mahinmi will be pleasant revelations. And maybe SPurs finally get a long SF who can defend the perimeter.

ElNono
04-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Rebuild the team around TP, give him some good shooters and big boys in the paint.

The Spurs will probably do that after Tim retires... after 2012 basically...

dbestpro
04-29-2009, 09:11 AM
What kind of surprises me is no one seems to mention the fact that we have many players contracts that expire at the end of next year. All I hear is that you can't trade these guys because no one will want them. Nothing is further from the truth. An expiring contract is as hot a commodity as an early second round pick in the NBA. Many good players have been traded for expiring contracts.

ElNono
04-29-2009, 09:13 AM
What kind of surprises me is no one seems to mention the fact that we have many players contracts that expire at the end of next year. All I hear is that you can't trade these guys because no one will want them. Nothing is further from the truth. An expiring contract is as hot a commodity as an early second round pick in the NBA. Many good players have been traded for expiring contracts.

It actually has been said repeatedly. Look at the trade subforum.

ulosturedge
04-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Get us that 2nd "real" big man to clog the paint and get us rebounds; hopefully that can be Ian Mahinmi. Also an athletic SF would be nice like Trevor Ariza. After that weed out some of the old legs and give us some fresher legs.

Bosell
04-29-2009, 09:54 AM
And BTW, Ginobili is not going anywhere.

In that case the Spurs are losers. Too much money tied to a worthless player. Past contributions mean nothing except in the empty heads of idiot fans.

KaiRMD1
04-29-2009, 09:56 AM
God, I hope we will actually make some improvements this off season. I thought last year we made SOME improvements but after seeing this series, it was all for naught. Those guys who we thought played big for us during the season showed up for one game, game 2. The front office needs to work hard to improve this team. Timmy didn't take a pay cut for nothing.

completely deck
04-29-2009, 09:59 AM
In that case the Spurs are losers. Too much money tied to a worthless player. Past contributions mean nothing except in the empty heads of idiot fans.

Reevaluate your thinking there, hoss. There is no denying that if the Spurs had a healthy Ginobili this year, they would have been a serious threat in the West.

ElNono
04-29-2009, 10:15 AM

The FO seems to disagree with you. You still have time to jump off the bandwagon and go somewhere else...

brettn
04-29-2009, 10:46 AM
waive everyone including duncan and parker and club their legs till they break, fire every single person employed by the spurs organization, round up the entire FO and execute them, get their families and put them in internment camps, rename franchise and redesign everything, guillotine pop publically in alamo plaza, give all the players' pets antifreeze before they can escape, blow up atnt center then crop dust the ruins with herpes, start completely over from scratch rebuild a hemisphere arena downtown, hire me as the owner/gm/coach, ill hit the streets/gyms with some associates and round up some good prospect black guys to fill out our roster, start anew.

:rollin funniest thing ive read on here in ahwhile

Bosell
04-29-2009, 11:44 AM
The FO seems to disagree with you. You still have time to jump off the bandwagon and go somewhere else...

Your mother is a bandwagon, you moron. Fuck off if you've got nothing better to say.

rascal
04-29-2009, 11:48 AM

Agree. Manu will be the weight that closes Duncans final years without a title if they hold on to him too long. His best days are behind him now. He is on the wrong side of 30 with a lot of wear and tear. Already the last two years they did not have him healthy when it counted.

Bosell
04-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Reevaluate your thinking there, hoss. There is no denying that if the Spurs had a healthy Ginobili this year, they would have been a serious threat in the West.

If. If my uncle had wheels and pedals he'd be a bicycle. Ginobili is a burden for the team and nothing else. He won't be there when it counts and frankly he doesn't seem to to give a fuck anyway. It'll be just one injury after another and a missed playoffs. The sooner he gets dumped, the better. He is too expensive to play the team Chihuahua.

rascal
04-29-2009, 11:50 AM

Ifs are for losers.

spurtech09
04-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Manu and mason stays....

Bosell
04-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Agree. Manu will be the weight that closes Duncans final years without a title if they hold on to him too long. His best days are behind him now. He is on the wrong side of 30 with a lot of wear and tear. Already the last two years they did not have him healthy when it counted.

Exactly. Thank you! :toast

rascal
04-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Exactly. Thank you! :toast

You will find this board full of homers who want to keep any player that has had some past success just out of remembrances. Thats not any way to build a winner.

arodz
04-29-2009, 12:19 PM
the following players need to go, no matter what:

Mason
Bonner
Thomas
Finley
Oberto
Bowen
Ginobili

You little rant had me for a second, then you showed your complete and utter ignorance. So, you expect this team to dump MORE than half it's roster (even though most of them are still under contract) and replace them with who?? D-League rejects?? Just how do you expect the Spurs to fill out that many roster spots? Are they gonna fall from the sky? You do realize that most of those guys have another year left on their deals and if they cut them, the Spurs would have to eat their salaries.

And you want Pop out for some 'fresh coaching talent'. For all those fucking idiots who want to run Pop out when things go bad, you should thank God you have a Hall of Fame coach like this on your team. NO ONE will step in here and be able to do what he's done.

This is the typical bitching and moaning from SO-CALLED :nope Spurs fans who only wanna cheer when the team is winning. And by the way, you really showed that you're NOT a Spurs fan with your Ginobili hate. If you hate Ginobili...you hate the Spurs....period.

Marcus Bryant
04-29-2009, 12:41 PM
The problem with Ginobili has been his lack of availability and his inability to play at his normal level, both due to injury. If the Spurs have reason to believe that this will continue, then perhaps a flamethrower approach to the roster makes sense. I'm not sure it does though. What are the alternatives? Ginobili has been one of the most productive players in the crunch time of important games. You don't replace that through the MLE or through creating a larger amount of cap space and wishing that high profile free agents flock to SA. Even if they did, you'd be hard pressed to find one who can replace Ginobili when it's winning time.

blackfire12
04-29-2009, 12:50 PM
lol, so funny seeing people call for complete rebuilds. while I think it's evident that the spurs need to go younger, getting rid of 5, 6, or 7 people, of which are are some key people, is ridiculous. although, the people who I think should go are Bonner, Vaughn, Udoka, and Mason; with a big condition attached to mason, which is if the spurs were only looking for him to play PG then he needs to be traded, because he can't play it.

As for everyone else, obviously keep Duncan, Parker and Manu since that's the core of the entire team. Bowen may have another year and brings amazing D which is what we need. Finley, Oberto, and Thomas are also great players, contrary to certain opinons, but the ugly signs of aging are also very prevalent.

Hill and Gooden still look promising, especially Hill, and I honestly haven't seen enough of Gooden to really make a judgement.

Bosell
04-29-2009, 01:17 PM
And by the way, you really showed that you're NOT a Spurs fan with your Ginobili hate. If you hate Ginobili...you hate the Spurs....period.

And you are showing that you're probably just another ignorant mexican who wants the Spurs to have a latino player at any cost to the team. It must somehow elevate you or some stupid shit like that.

Bosell
04-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Ginobili has been one of the most productive players in the crunch time of important games.

Yes, HAS been. That ended 2 years ago. He sucked even last year during the playoffs. $10 million + for fucking what??? To preserve the latino flavor in the team? Time to move on.

ATXSPUR
04-29-2009, 01:28 PM
And you are showing that you're probably just another ignorant mexican who wants the Spurs to have a latino player at any cost to the team. It must somehow elevate you or some stupid shit like that.

And you need to seriously watch your wording. I am not going to accuse you of being a racist but that is certainly what your comment came off as. One think I WILL accuse you of is being an ass.

That being said the Spurs were around long before Manu got here and will continue to be around long after Manu got here. There are quite a few fans who seem to think Manu is immune to criticism or being let go. That just isn't the case. Of the big 3 Manu is by far the most disposable and it's not even really that close.

Matches Malone
04-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Yes, HAS been. That ended 2 years ago. He sucked even last year during the playoffs. $10 million + for fucking what??? To preserve the latino flavor in the team? Time to move on.

Bosell, a couple of tips to generate some credibility and respect:
- you don't call names to people that doesn't agree with you.
- you don't call for a retool of more than half of the team without suggesting what you will obtain in exchange
- you don't go against a player seen as the "heart and guts" of the team, saying that past contributions are just that
- you don't line up with Rascal regarding Ginobili (serious loss of credibility)
- you don't post ethnically or racist comments
- all that specially with 21 post counts

Nevertheless, I like you blunt and unrestrained style...for the Trolls Forum.

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-29-2009, 01:32 PM
These "Spurs" fans that are hating on MANU need to GTFO. As long as Manu and Tony Parker are Spurs I will continue to support both because they play for my favorite team!

Yuixafun
04-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Seems like another bigot found his way to a message board, masquerading as a fan to spill his toxin.

poop
04-29-2009, 02:45 PM
loo we all love Manu and what he has brought to this team, but hes had 2 consecutive playoff debacles due to injury-when we were heavily counting on him to contribute-plus has had constant injury issues for the last 4-5 years, is Over 30 and just getting older.

anyone refusing to accept that Manu is currently a liability and a ball and chain holding back necessary changes is just speaking out of emotion and nostalgia. period.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-29-2009, 03:30 PM

Mason
Bonner
Thomas
Finley
Oberto
Bowen
Ginobili

Are you really a spurs fan? Thank god you aren't the GM nor making decisions.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-29-2009, 03:38 PM

Damn,, i was pretty sure if i read the entire thread i would find something like this. Now this explains your initial post.

Bosell
04-29-2009, 04:10 PM
I have an idea to pacify all the raging lunatic Manu fans. Would it be enough to replace Manu the disabled ex-star player with Manu the Chihuahua -a new team mascot. At annual savings of $10 million or so. You would all still have a way to relate to the Spurs and feel like you have actually contributed something besides the swine flu.

I think that would nicely balance your emotional needs as well as the needs of the mainstream fans who merely want the team to thrive and win again.

PS. I could care less if Manu came from Mars, as long as he EARNS his pay. But I happen to know the common denominator between his apologists and I could care less if it is not politically correct to spell it out.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-29-2009, 05:15 PM
One more post.. #22.. congrats...