PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the Spurs' Future Without Tears

SpurYank
04-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Having been there in SA to welcome the former Dallas Chapparals in 1972 and having experienced all these great years of exciting basketball they've played from afar, thanks to our advanced technology, I have to caution those of you who think next year, or even two or three years from now, we will return to our championship years. "Ain't gonna happen."

I think it was Tom Nissalke, one of our first coaches, who said it usually takes two or three years of playing together to become effective, unless the new players are already super stars and can immediately fit in, which is very unlikely in our small market. We will have to build our team again. There exists more chances that our role players (not Tony, Timmy, or Manu) will perform next year and the year after, very much like our role players did this year. We will have to practice patience and enjoy good basketball and solid efforts from our team. I think Pop will see to it that this happens, no matter how much criticism fans in SA want to bestow on him.

I recommend we enjoy the good basketball being played by teams like the Bulls, the Blazers, and the Nuggets. I would love to see a Nuggets/Lakers finals in the West and then either a Cavaliers/Lakers, or Cavaliers/Nuggets finals. I think it would be great to see another old ABA team reach the finals again. Besides, George Karl was our point guard (with James Silas as the two) back 30 plus years ago. Like it or not, today's Nuggets have character and exciting players to watch.

The Spurs gave us many great years. I will still watch every game, from my little outpost up here near the Pennsylvania border.