PDA

View Full Version : Mavs vs. Nuggets Round 2 Discussion

stretch
04-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Seeing that this is the likely matchup, what are your thoughts on this series?

I think the keys for the Mavericks are...

1. Josh Howard keeping this level of play up
2. Containing J.R. Smith
3. Dirk drawing double teams or fouls

I think matchup's favor the Mavs.

Kidd can handle Billups quite well.

Barea and Jones both present matchup problems for each other. Probably a wash. Or the Mavs may have to go back to starting Wright.

If Howard keeps this level of play up, he should be able to do a solid job on Carmello, and make Carmello work on the other end.

Dirk will pull K-Mart or Anderson (whomever ends up on him) and their shot-blocking abilities out of the middle, making the interior defense of the even worse than it already is.

I think Damp should be able to handle Nene, especially after how well he played against Duncan.

Offensive strategy: Considering how crappy the Nuggets defense is in general, and with Dirk creating huge problems by pulling out the only threats they have for interior defense, Barea and Howard should be able to get inside frequently yet again this series. Dirk is going to need to take a few more shots this series, especially if they try to put a small guy on him. Dirk needs to demand double teams in this series as he did in the Spurs series. If he doesn't get those double teams, he needs to torch whomever is trying to guard him, working at drawing fouls on them and trying to get their shot-blockers out of the game, to open up the interior even more for Barea and Howard.

Defensive strategy: The Mavs are going to have to mix some zone defense in again to keep Carmello out of the paint. This is why it is so vital that they are aware of J.R. Smith and his whereabouts AT ALL TIMES. They cannot let this guy torch them again like he did the last time they played. If they do not contain J.R. Smith, this may be a short series, resulting in the Nuggets advancing easily. Having Kidd and Howard back should help the Mavs quite a bit on defense. It might help to play Hollins a little more, as he doesn't have to worry about the veteran savvy of Timmy getting him in foul trouble. His athleticism will be a MAJOR asset to match the athleticism that the Nuggets present.

Coaching: Carlisle >>>>>>>>>>>> Karl. Nuff said.

Intangibles: Carmello is a known playoff choker. However, Billups helps the maturity of a young, mentally shaky team that relies on offense and athleticism. However, I think the Mavs playoff experience, and vets in Kidd, Dirk, and Terry will give the Mavs the edge in this area.

My pick: Mavs in 6.

SpuronyourFace
04-29-2009, 09:52 AM
All I predict is Mavs choking and not winning a title this year or any other year until the end of time. Mav fan knows that too.

Belive that.

stretch
04-29-2009, 10:04 AM
i don't expect the mavs to win it all. i think the Cavs are going to. i just want to see the mavs do as well as possible, and show some guts and fight hard (instead of playing like pussies as they have previously). hopefully they can make a couple moves next year and bring shaq to town to get them in a better position to compete for a title.

sribb43
04-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Nuggets won season series 4-0 but key players missed multiple games

The only game in which both teams were completely healthy was the 1st meeting right after the Billups trade and Nuggets won by 3 in Denver...

Game 1: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AsNwR7wJZ7D5cciiumuIUhwFPKB4?gid=200 8110707

Game 2: Josh's 1st game back from injury plays only 14min, Nuggets win 98-88
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AnyCRKMKTTkCHgn17.L1FfEFPKB4?gid=200 8121506

Game 3: No Josh/No Melo, Nuggets win on 2FT by Billups on phantom foul call with 2.2 sec left
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AuWbSdk3FFxyrqhUsDce4j4FPKB4?gid=200 9011307

Game 4: No Kidd/Josh, No Nene....Nuggets win by 2
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AnZxeUANoBUwVRztiQP2pS4FPKB4?gid=200 9032706

Findog
04-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Nugs in 6

loveforthegame
04-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Denver in 6 or less.

Denver is too tough inside for Dallas and will make it more difficult for the Mavs to rebound and get 2nd chance points. Billups is playing extremely well. Denver also has a solid bench that should at least match what the Mavs did against the Spurs.

Findog
04-29-2009, 10:09 AM
:cry :cry

mavsluva
04-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Based on the regular season series, Mavs fans should have no reason to believe that the Mavs will win this series. Because the data doesn't lie.

However, there's always an opportunity to be proved differently.

stretch
04-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Based on the regular season series, Mavs fans should have no reason to believe that the Mavs will win this series. Because the data doesn't lie.

Not really. Lots of injuries, more-so on the Mavs side. Games constantly down to the wire. Regular season stats were very misleading.

Findog
04-29-2009, 10:17 AM
I think Denver is just too long and athletic for Dallas, and they have HCA...but we are playing our best ball of the season and pretty much all of the games went down to the wire. It doesn't bode well that we couldn't avoid the sweep though.

sribb43
04-29-2009, 10:18 AM
The Antoine Wright/JR Smith matchup should be interesting considering all the things that went on between them this season

mavsluva
04-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Not really. Lots of injuries, more-so on the Mavs side. Games constantly down to the wire. Regular season stats were very misleading.

If and's, if's and but's were candy and nuts, then we'd all have a Merry Christmas! :-)

sribb43
04-29-2009, 10:19 AM
I think Denver is just too long and athletic for Dallas, and they have HCA...but we are playing our best ball of the season and pretty much all of the games went down to the wire. It doesn't bode well that we couldn't avoid the sweep though.

Thats why Denver will mostly win the series....if JR Smith plays like ass, Mavs got a shot

N4th4n
04-29-2009, 10:24 AM

You dont KNOW they were misleading because you dont know the end result. Stop making assumptions. You suspect and HOPE that they are misleading. One series win and the homerism starts to show.

monosylab1k
04-29-2009, 10:27 AM
You dont KNOW they were misleading because you dont know the end result. Stop making assumptions. You suspect and HOPE that they are misleading.

LOL funny coming from the "If Amare wasn't hurt we would have won the title!" and "If Amare wasn't suspended we would have won the title!" Sun Fan crowd.

KSeal
04-29-2009, 10:28 AM
I think Denver wins in five but I wish the Mavs could pull this series out somehow.

sribb43
04-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Nene is a bad matchup for Damp, he is too quick and athletic

dirk4mvp
04-29-2009, 10:31 AM
If JR Smith continues to hit 2007 Warriors type shots like he's been doing all season, the Mavs will be gone quickly. Nuggets are the most athletic team in the league and the Mavs struggle with these kinds of teams.

crc21209
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Nuggets in 5...6 at the most. The Nuggets just have too many weapons now for Dallas. Billups, Melo, J.R. Smith, and athletic bigs in Nene and Martin.

lebomb
04-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Nuggets win 4-2

...........see ya at choke canyon with the Spurs in a few weeks!!!! :fishing

stretch
04-29-2009, 10:45 AM
You dont KNOW they were misleading because you dont know the end result. Stop making assumptions. You suspect and HOPE that they are misleading. One series win and the homerism starts to show.

Goes both ways. Since those guys weren't there... you don't KNOW that those games were accurate because you don't know the end result of both squads going at it when healthy.

Fucking dumbshit.

iilluzioN
04-29-2009, 10:51 AM
spurs and mavs will meet up soon to go fishing :D TEXAS STYLE!

Findog
04-29-2009, 11:58 AM
You Faggot Mavs are done son. We gonna choke you muhfuckers down till you beg us to stop. We stompin on yo bitchass

Your sig is hilarious. Nuggets and :lobt2: are two things that don't belong together.

sook
04-29-2009, 12:02 PM
I'll use the same reasoning i did when they first got him. THEY HAVE BILLUPS. The nuggets are scary as shit, even though we beat them 3-1 during the reg season i am almost certain billups would kick our asses too if we ever had to play him.

dirk4mvp
04-29-2009, 12:05 PM
I'll use the same reasoning i did when they first got him. THEY HAVE BILLUPS. The nuggets are scary as shit, even though we beat them 3-1 during the reg season i am almost certain billups would kick our asses too if we ever had to play him.

Jason Kidd is far and away a better defender than Chris Paul is. And Chauncey is one of the few pg's who doesn't have a quickness advantage over Kidd.

sook
04-29-2009, 12:08 PM
^ True mavs have a chance if they keep playin at this level

La Peace
04-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Hmm momentum tells me Denver. But I am a gambling man.

If Josh Howard outplays Carmelo then I will pick Mavs in 6.

sribb43
04-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Maybe J-Ho can get Melo, JR, Kenyon and Birdman to smoke some blunts before the game so they wont make it to the arena

Findog
04-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Maybe J-Ho can get Melo, JR, Kenyon and Birdman to smoke some blunts before the game so they wont make it to the arena

Put them all in different cars but make sure JR is driving one of them. Then they won't have enough guys to suit up for the games.

Ghazi
04-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Hhmm, my thoughts

3 advantages Mavs had v Spurs that'll likely perish:

1. FTA's-Nuggets get to line, Spurs didn't
2. Role players-Nuggets have good role players, Spurs didn't
3. Dampier-Dampier had a great series, but the athleticism of the Nuggets front court will likely bother him
4. Balanced scoring-Nugs have it, Spurs were over reliant on two players.
5. Athleticism- Honestly Dallas looked somewhat athletic compared to the Spurs, Nuggets are one of the more athletic teams in the league though.

At the same time, no player on the Nuggets roster is better than Parker or Duncan and they do not have the lightning quick PG that bugs the Mavs ever so dearly. Billups is more of a jump shooter than a slasher.

Bad sign that Mavs have lost 7 of last 8 v Nugs and went 0-4 this year. Shooting 41% or less in all 4 meetings.

But I'm not sure how much we can gauge those losses. Considering 3 of the losses were inside the final minute, Mavs probably "deserved" to win at least 1 of those games. J-HO also played only a combined 15 minutes in the last 3 games and Kidd missed the last 3 games. Melo and Nene missed a game themselves though. The new and improved J-Ho is clearly adding a different element to the team, an element absent in the regular season meetings.

I really don't think the Nuggets are THAT good. We definitely should not view this as a hopeless scenario. MUST steal one of the first 2 in Denver though, same thing I said v Spurs.

Since the Mavs have the best player on the court (DIIIIIRK), they have a shot in this series.

Heart: Mavs in 6 :)
Mind: Nugs in 6

NugzFan
04-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Seeing that this is the likely matchup, what are your thoughts on this series?

I think the keys for the Mavericks are...

1. Josh Howard keeping this level of play up
2. Containing J.R. Smith
3. Dirk drawing double teams or fouls

I think matchup's favor the Mavs.

Kidd can handle Billups quite well.

Barea and Jones both present matchup problems for each other. Probably a wash. Or the Mavs may have to go back to starting Wright.

If Howard keeps this level of play up, he should be able to do a solid job on Carmello, and make Carmello work on the other end.

Dirk will pull K-Mart or Anderson (whomever ends up on him) and their shot-blocking abilities out of the middle, making the interior defense of the even worse than it already is.

I think Damp should be able to handle Nene, especially after how well he played against Duncan.

Offensive strategy: Considering how crappy the Nuggets defense is in general, and with Dirk creating huge problems by pulling out the only threats they have for interior defense, Barea and Howard should be able to get inside frequently yet again this series. Dirk is going to need to take a few more shots this series, especially if they try to put a small guy on him. Dirk needs to demand double teams in this series as he did in the Spurs series. If he doesn't get those double teams, he needs to torch whomever is trying to guard him, working at drawing fouls on them and trying to get their shot-blockers out of the game, to open up the interior even more for Barea and Howard.

Defensive strategy: The Mavs are going to have to mix some zone defense in again to keep Carmello out of the paint. This is why it is so vital that they are aware of J.R. Smith and his whereabouts AT ALL TIMES. They cannot let this guy torch them again like he did the last time they played. If they do not contain J.R. Smith, this may be a short series, resulting in the Nuggets advancing easily. Having Kidd and Howard back should help the Mavs quite a bit on defense. It might help to play Hollins a little more, as he doesn't have to worry about the veteran savvy of Timmy getting him in foul trouble. His athleticism will be a MAJOR asset to match the athleticism that the Nuggets present.

Coaching: Carlisle >>>>>>>>>>>> Karl. Nuff said.

Intangibles: Carmello is a known playoff choker. However, Billups helps the maturity of a young, mentally shaky team that relies on offense and athleticism. However, I think the Mavs playoff experience, and vets in Kidd, Dirk, and Terry will give the Mavs the edge in this area.

My pick: Mavs in 6.

i really hope the mavs actual scouting report is similar to yours. :lol

monosylab1k
04-29-2009, 01:43 PM
3. Dampier-Dampier had a great series, but the athleticism of the Nuggets front court will likely bother him

psh, who needs damp when we got

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/13/fullj.9bff1d480cdb344df276bd7cb959fb33/9bff1d480cdb344df276bd7cb959fb33-getty-82921743gj004_mavericks_head_shots.jpg

seriously tho, Hollins owned Birdman last time they met up, and he's going to keep that going. I don't think the Mavs will get past Denver, but Ryan Hollins is going to have a monster series, book it.

Ghazi
04-29-2009, 01:53 PM
One more note, it's CRITICAL that Terry outplays JR Smith this series IMO.

And it's critical Dirk looks like the best player in the series, since he fuckin IS the best player in the series.

It was kinda bizarre that mavs had takena 3-1 lead in series with Dirk being quiet and Terry being awful, but Denver seems too good for THAT to happen.

dirk4mvp
04-29-2009, 01:53 PM
i really hope the mavs actual scouting report is similar to yours. :lol

Great to have some insightful nugget fans after a couple year hiatus from spurstalk!

leemajors
04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
it will be interesting to see how howard plays with a living person guarding him. should be a good series if dallas can win the boards.

sribb43
04-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Put them all in different cars but make sure JR is driving one of them. Then they won't have enough guys to suit up for the games.

:lol...ya we all know JR's driving record

Brickhouse
04-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Denver in 5 or 6.

B/c this series it won't be 5 vs 2 anymore and they have talent at every position.

Plus Birdman and NeNe have career games against Damp.

monosylab1k
04-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Ryan Hollins will be getting major minutes this series. He is the x-factor.

NugzFan
04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Great to have some insightful nugget fans after a couple year hiatus from spurstalk!

pretty sure there are a few of us around and have been for a few years.

sribb43
04-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Ryan Hollins will be getting major minutes this series. He is the x-factor.

Hollins was a beast that last game here in Dallas in late March...His athleticism is key in this series versus Denver. Imagine if that guy was Diop :sick

monosylab1k
04-29-2009, 02:30 PM

and taken the time to contribute a whopping 182 posts! impressive :tu

dirk4mvp
04-29-2009, 02:32 PM

Really? Cuz there's you and ...

stretch
04-29-2009, 02:50 PM
NugzFan can suck a limp dick. Showing up at playoff time when his team is up 3-1. Crawl back into your hole.

fuck you for making me agree with you

sribb43
04-29-2009, 02:54 PM
NugzFan can suck a limp dick. Showing up at playoff time when his team is up 3-1. Crawl back into your hole.

:tu...best post you have ever made

sribb43
04-29-2009, 03:00 PM
I got my Mavs hat on for this series. I cant stand wanna be tough players like the Thuggets. Carmella can suck a limp dick as well. Only thing sucks about this series is I wish there could be more Thuggets fans in here to teabag for this series.

I wouldnt mind seeing George Karl cry again after they lose.

Only guys on Denver I cant hate are Billups (dude is professional as they come) and Nene (cancer survivor....everyone else is a wanna be thug piece of sh!t. Public enemy #1 is J.R. Smith. I hope Antoine Wright drop kicks his ass

leemajors
04-29-2009, 03:02 PM
sribb43's avatar is awesome.

stretch
04-29-2009, 03:06 PM
i will admit... for some reason, i cant help but like birdman.

sribb43
04-29-2009, 03:10 PM
i will admit... for some reason, i cant help but like birdman.

ya Birdman is cool but Jones, Melo, Smith, K-Mart are on my sh!t list

Morg1411
04-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Nuggets in 6. Mavs are obviously playing well right now, but the Thuggetz are rollin'.

sribb43
04-29-2009, 03:17 PM
If the series goes to a game 6, I dont see the Mavs losing on their home floor. Nuggets in 7 is more realistic to me if the series makes it to a game 6 at the AAC

Ghazi
04-29-2009, 03:45 PM
So Mavs fans you think Basrea should keep starting?

Wright was horrible in regular season for Mavs but seems better due to Nugs' physicality. They haev shot blockers and good defense against PG's which may limit Barea

but wright played very well in his bench role against the Spurs IMO

edit: by horrible I was referring to against Nugs, although he wasn't too great anyway :lol

Xylus
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure who to root for here. I rooted for Dallas to beat San Antonio and they did; I'm rooting for Denver to rape the Hornets, and they are.

I think the Mavs have a more likable roster, but I think the Nuggets have a better chance of beating the Lakers... I guess I won't know who to root for until the end of Game 1.

sribb43
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Barea can guard Jones he is very limited offensively and if they want to force him the ball to go at JJB then thats fine by me...have Wright come into the game when JR Smith enters

mavs>spurs2
04-29-2009, 03:54 PM
There's no one on the Nugget's frontline that can guard Dirk. Nene isn't going to be comfortable guarding him on the perimeter, while Birdman and Kmart are both just very athletic but not smart defenders, so Dirk will go to the line all day. Kidd is also very capable of defending a Billups type guard. On the flipside, we have no answer for Melo, so I think he's the x factor in this series. If he has an average or subpar series, I think we win. If he goes apeshit like he has in the past, then we're done in 6.

Ghazi
04-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Melo's not that good.

mavs>spurs2
04-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Melo's not that good.

Don't forget he outshined Lebron and everyone else in the 2006 World Championships. Carmelo is a superstar wing, something that our weak perimeter D struggles with. Any superstar who plays positions 1-3 and likes to drive is capable of giving us fits

Ghazi
04-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Kidd can guard a player like Melo in 4th Q's

IMO

monosylab1k
04-29-2009, 04:14 PM
On the flipside, we have no answer for Melo, so I think he's the x factor in this series.

Honestly I think Wright can contain Melo. He obviously can't guard quicker guys, but Carmelo is more about footwork & spacing than he is quickness. Wright did great against Billups last time, so I think he has the muscle to D Crymelo up okay. James Singleton failed miserably at it, but with Kidd on Billups, Wright has a crack at it.

The only problem being that Wright out there on defense means Wright out there on offense too.

bdictjames
04-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Nuggets stand a better chance against the Lakeshow so Im pulling for them!

Ghazi
04-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Antoine mutha fuckin Wright!

monosylab1k
04-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Wright's big problem on D is that he has no idea how to contest a jumper. He'll keep Carmelo from killing us with his drives, but he could still kill us from the perimeter. And if Carmelo decides to post Wright up, that's another problem.

But as much as it pains me to say it, Wright might be the best option. Maybe J-Ho but I'd rather he get an easier assignment since we need his offense.

stretch
04-29-2009, 04:27 PM
if wright can hit some open threes like he did against san antonio, then i will have no problem with him starting.

Lars
04-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Nuggets in 5

Rogue
04-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Nuggets in 5
but the winners will be our boys in blue. The only thing you assumed right is just the series will not last over 5 games, otherwise you would have troubles counting the games of this series. You have only got 5 fingers I guess, and you're not clever enough to take the other hand into account.

j-money24
04-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Season series dont matter between those 2 teams, the Mavs are playing their best basketball in the season and also their were couple of injuries.

Findog
04-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Season series dont matter between those 2 teams, the Mavs are playing their best basketball in the season and also their were couple of injuries.

and I think Josh only played in one of those games, and 14 minutes at that.

Ghazi
04-29-2009, 11:11 PM
He played 27 minutes in the 1st game too. ;)

But I'm not putting MUCH stock into the regular season meetings.

Singleton/George/Green starting in some of those games I believe. And again, 3 of the losses came inside the final minute, 2 of those losses on the final shot.

Only concerning stat is 41% or less shooting in all 4. But it was somewhat offset by more FTA's. Dirk averaged 30/11 and 38 FTA's in 4 games v Nugs this year.

SouthTexasRancher
04-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Denver in 5. Maybe 6 if Chauncey Billups, J.R. Smith and Carmelo Anthony get hurt and miss a game. It doesn't matter who wins in the West this year because the Cavs will win it all.....

SouthTexasRancher
04-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Kidd can guard a player like Melo in 4th Q's

IMO

LOLOLOLOLOL :lol:rollin:lol Yeah right. Say, btw, I have some mighty fine swampland for sale real cheap. Even have a couple bridges I'll throw in to sweeten the deal. Kidd can guard Carmelo Anthony. That must be some super good shit you're smoking. Thanks for the laughs!!!

j-money24
04-29-2009, 11:33 PM
I will say it now, the Mavs will win this series in 6, i will also bump this thread back.

iggypop123
04-29-2009, 11:39 PM
we'll see one of you in the WCF

Ghazi
04-29-2009, 11:40 PM
LOLOLOLOLOL :lol:rollin:lol Yeah right. Say, btw, I have some mighty fine swampland for sale real cheap. Even have a couple bridges I'll throw in to sweeten the deal. Kidd can guard Carmelo Anthony. That must be some super good shit you're smoking. Thanks for the laughs!!!

Kidd's a good defender against wings

Findog
04-29-2009, 11:46 PM

Yep. He'll be matched up on Melo at times, but the Mavs will probably run a lot of guys at him, including Josh and Antoine. Not saying he's going to shut him down or anything, but he won't embarrass himself.

Brickhouse
04-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Given Mavs playoff history against players like him, Carmela will blow up for an average of 36 points.

Their bigs are very active and always play well against Damp/whoever.

Some of you may not put much stock into the regular season games, but the Nuggets are also playing better and Carmelo wasn't in one of those games either.

They are the exact type of team that the Mavs have trouble with.

Don't see the boys in blue winning this one unless they play out of their minds, which is possible, but when it comes to the Mavs, you know to lower your expectations.

Ghazi
04-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Agreed while Mavs are better now so too are the Nuggets.

But that's why I don't really care about the regular season meetings.

What concerns me is the "on paper" matchups I'm simulating in my head (their physicality, athleticism, etc).

SouthTexasRancher
04-29-2009, 11:58 PM
I will say it now, the Mavs will win this series in 6, i will also bump this thread back.

Ouuuughhh, j-mo24 is gonna 'bump' it back on everyone. Dude, take your stupid gangsta talk back to the hood. Bump it back on everyone. That is too damn funny. I guess everyone is supposed to be scared? Hold on so I can get my legs shaking. There, now I'm ready to have it bumped back on me. I'm sure everyone elsi is as well. Bump it back on us.:rollin

SouthTexasRancher
04-30-2009, 12:01 AM

OK, if you say so...that is news to everyone in the NBA. Denver is going to run the Mavs ragged in Denver. Karl is going to have them blowing and going till the Mavs tongues are dragging on the court. Anyway, we shall see. If Kidd does stop Anthony I'll come back and say you were correct. Hold on to this post.

Greg Oden
04-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Ouuuughhh, j-mo24 is gonna 'bump' it back on everyone. Dude, take your stupid gangsta talk back to the hood. Bump it back on everyone. That is too damn funny. I guess everyone is supposed to be scared? Hold on so I can get my legs shaking. There, now I'm ready to have it bumped back on me. I'm sure everyone elsi is as well. Bump it back on us.:rollin

There's nothing worse than coming off as a racist fag and being extremely fucking lame in the span of just a few sentences.

gaKNOW!blee
04-30-2009, 12:02 AM
My advice to Dallas....DO NOT let JR Smith get confident.

Greg Oden
04-30-2009, 12:04 AM
My advice to Dallas....DO NOT let JR Smith get confident.

I'm sure Cuban will just ask him to drive his friends to the game to fuck with him.

Budkin
04-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Dude this series won't even be close. Denver sweeps, easily.

Amarelooms
04-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Dude this series won't even be close. Denver sweeps, easily.

Does it matter..your Spurs got owned already :elephant

mavs>spurs2
04-30-2009, 12:24 AM

LOL Son I think you misinterpreted his post and took the internets way too seriously. When someone bumps an old thread it means digging it back up in order to show that someone was wrong and make them eat crow. Lol Spur fan is pissed

daslicer
04-30-2009, 12:47 AM
Nuggets will win most likely.

Kmart is a thug and Dirk never plays well against thugs ala Haslem,D.West,Jax.

Mello is 100x better then Finley no way Howard gets it easy this time having to guard Mello for a 7 game series.

Nene is greater then Damp .

Birdman is also a lot better then Hollis.

Jr Smith is taller and much more athlethic then Jet and I don't see Jet being able to guard him.

Nuggets will win in 5 or 6 games.

MB3//
04-30-2009, 12:48 AM
What time on Sunday is game 1?

FlavoredIcecream
04-30-2009, 01:12 AM
What time on Sunday is game 1?

3:30 Eastern Time you FUCKING NOOB.
God, I hate these dumb fucking n00bs that go on Spurstalk and talk shit to me.
Fucking scumbags.

NugzFan
04-30-2009, 03:46 AM
and taken the time to contribute a whopping 182 posts! impressive :tu

:lol sorry to dissappoint you. didnt realize i needed 13k posts on another teams board to be a member.

is there a good mavs board out there? i wanna discuss the series (no trolling).

NugzFan
04-30-2009, 03:51 AM
Really? Cuz there's you and ...

him (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2705) and him (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1501) and him (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=15383) and him (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1481)

and probably more that i forgot...

NugzFan
04-30-2009, 03:51 AM

:lol STFU. idiot laker homer. no wonder people hate you guys...

alamo50
04-30-2009, 03:57 AM
Dirk will cry. Not about fouls, but from hurt.

Xylus
04-30-2009, 03:58 AM

Is this a fucking joke?

stretch
04-30-2009, 06:49 AM
him (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2705) and him (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1501) and him (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=15383) and him (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1481)

and probably more that i forgot...

oh really?

funny, cuz the first one you linked is the only one that posts regularly. one of them hasnt been here since like 2005, another one just signed up recently and only has 1 post, and another hasn't been here since december, has been signed up since 2004, and only has like 1000 posts.

:td

sribb43
04-30-2009, 07:29 AM
OK, if you say so...that is news to everyone in the NBA. Denver is going to run the Mavs ragged in Denver. Karl is going to have them blowing and going till the Mavs tongues are dragging on the court. Anyway, we shall see. If Kidd does stop Anthony I'll come back and say you were correct. Hold on to this post.

Kidd cannot guard fast PG's but he does fairly well against SG/SF ie Artest, , Melo, Joe Johnson, RIP, etc...he cannot guard them for 48 minutes but he usually takes the responsibility in the 4th quarter

sribb43
04-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Sunday @ 2:30 pm CDT on ABC.....Mavs @ Nuggets

ginobili's bald spot
04-30-2009, 08:03 AM

WTF is going on in this post?

pauls931
04-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Dallas will probably get a game or two. The key is for Denver to handle Dallas's second string. For some reason the spurs could not contain the keebler elf (aka the troll) and that killed them in addition to the rash of injuries. Denver is injury free and have a decent second string that should help.

I think the Mavericks can steal a game maybe two in Dallas, but that's about it.

stretch
04-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Dallas will probably get a game or two. The key is for Denver to handle Dallas's second string. For some reason the spurs could not contain the keebler elf (aka the troll) and that killed them in addition to the rash of injuries. Denver is injury free and have a decent second string that should help.

I think the Mavericks can steal a game maybe two in Dallas, but that's about it.

denver is one of the worst defensive teams in basketball. if dirk is successful at either drawing double teams or pulling kmart/anderson out of the middle, barea and howard should have an even easier time scoring and penetrating than they did against san antonio.

dirk4mvp
04-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Is this a fucking joke?

lmao

dirk4mvp
04-30-2009, 08:54 AM
oh really?

funny, cuz the first one you linked is the only one that posts regularly. one of them hasnt been here since like 2005, another one just signed up recently and only has 1 post, and another hasn't been here since december, has been signed up since 2004, and only has like 1000 posts.

also, lmao

LEONARD
04-30-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm not very optimistic...at all...

bdictjames
04-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Mavs won't be as tough against the Nugs that they do against the Spurs. Nugs in 4.

endrity
04-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Denver is much improved on defense, if anything the fact that they play a system on offense instead of AI and Melo taking turns at taking shots, gives them a much easier time getting back in defense. This is not last year's team guys. Nene and Birdman will be problems for us, none of our bigs have their athletiicism. Bass will have to play well, to outdo their production.

pauls931
04-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Denver is much improved on defense, if anything the fact that they play a system on offense instead of AI and Melo taking turns at taking shots, gives them a much easier time getting back in defense. This is not last year's team guys. Nene and Birdman will be problems for us, none of our bigs have their athletiicism. Bass will have to play well, to outdo their production.

This is where I think the nuggets have the edge over the Spurs. Their second string is better and plays more defense thanks to birdman guarding the hoop.

In fact there's not that many teams with good second strings.

1. LA, second string better than most teams starters
2. Dallas I have to admit have a good second string.
6. Denver.

I had no one for 3,4,5 and denver does not deserve to be in any of those spots.

stretch
04-30-2009, 09:40 AM

shot blocking does not = good defense. their defense is putrid and relies on steals and blocks.

also, it seems like they do a LOT of isolations on offense.

I'm not, and never have been very impressed with Denver at all.

Agloco
04-30-2009, 09:43 AM

Your signature is nothing short of amusing considering the statement above.

stretch
04-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Your signature is nothing short of amusing considering the statement above.

lol butthurt

O-Factor
04-30-2009, 10:09 AM
yeah, Denver has this in the bag.

monosylab1k
04-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Nuggets in 5 or 6. Too much athleticism for the Mavs to handle. The only way for the Mavs to take this series is to get into their heads because the Nuggets are capable of imploding. But the Mavs aren't the "get in your head" type of team.

NugzFan
04-30-2009, 10:37 AM
oh really?

not sure what you are trying to prove but this is a spurs board - the fact that there are at least 5 nugget fans here is proof enough. all i said is there are others here...

i guess if your point is that mav fans have more posts here, you win. i could care less.

NugzFan
04-30-2009, 10:38 AM
shot blocking does not = good defense. their defense is putrid and relies on steals and blocks.

thats fine. i really hope the mavs arent impressed either and underestimate our D. that would be great.

Ghazi
04-30-2009, 11:54 AM
nuggets in 5 or 6. Too much athleticism for the mavs to handle. The only way for the mavs to take this series is to get into their heads because the nuggets are capable of imploding. But the mavs aren't the "get in your head" type of team.

quit bein negative!!1

Ghazi
04-30-2009, 11:55 AM

I dunno if "putrid" is the word to describe Denver's D, they finished the regular season 8th in efficiency.

I will say one thing though, it does seem like they hack/foul a lot so there should be plenty of FTA's for the Mavs if they're aggressive.

sribb43
04-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Mavs shot under 40% this season against the Nuggets

Brickhouse
04-30-2009, 02:50 PM
After seeing Denver easily handle and demolish a Hornets team the Mavs most likely would have had trouble with (you know Paul would have gone off for 50 against the Mavs), I'm more convinced of Nuggets in 6.

Surprise me Mavs!

stretch
04-30-2009, 03:50 PM
After seeing Denver easily handle and demolish a Hornets team the Mavs most likely would have had trouble with (you know Paul would have gone off for 50 against the Mavs), I'm more convinced of Nuggets in 6.

Surprise me Mavs!

All about matchups. Paul just isn't a good matchup for the Mavs, even though I think the Mavs would dispatch the Hornets in 5, maybe 6 this year if they had met.

Mavs match up better with the Nuggets though.

stretch
04-30-2009, 03:52 PM
not sure what you are trying to prove but this is a spurs board - the fact that there are at least 5 nugget fans here is proof enough. all i said is there are others here...

i guess if your point is that mav fans have more posts here, you win. i could care less.

my point is you were trying to be a smartass, when you were really being a dumbass

anonoftheinternets
04-30-2009, 03:55 PM
nugs in 5, i would like to see a closer series though. So hope howard outplays melo, but melo looks more mature this year. Altho lol, that is no compliment.

BUMP
04-30-2009, 03:56 PM
We can definitely hang with the Nuggets. We got swept 4-0 but this team really doesn't scare me as much a team like LA, SA, or NO with proven superstars who can take over Dallas. Plus every game was competitive and three of them were decided in the last posession.

Kobe, Duncan, Parker, Paul can all take over games and close them out and they've done it many times vs us in the past. I don't think Denver has anyone that can do that in the playoffs. Denver is not mentally tough. If we steal a game or two in Denver then they could just implode immediately unlike a San Antonio or LA.

Basically the difference is that we have the best player on the court this series in Dirk. This series will be a lot closer than people think, and I think it will go seven games. The homer in me says Mavs will win.

monoslyab1k
04-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Mavs are gonna lose this series. Nuggets are way too athletic. Mavs could've offset this by giving Shawne Williams and Gerald Green a chance, but no, Carlisle had to be a stubborn prick.

Nuggets in 5 or Mavs in 7 IF Carlisle gives Gerald Green a CHANCE and the Mavs reactivate Shawne Williams.

stretch
04-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Nuggets in 5 or Mavs in 7 IF Carlisle gives Gerald Green a CHANCE and the Mavs reactivate Shawne Williams.

:lmao

Shank
04-30-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm riding Mavs in 6.

I think it's all gravy at this point. Just a month ago, we thought the team was in the shitter. I don't predict the Mavs will lay down, though. They'll play their balls off in this series and a 7-game series wouldn't surprise me.

Fuck Denver.

Allanon
04-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Jason E. Terry versus JR Smith Shootout.

Everything else is a wash.

Mavs in 6, maybe 7.

crc21209
04-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Nuggets in 5 or 6. Too much athleticism for the Mavs to handle. The only way for the Mavs to take this series is to get into their heads because the Nuggets are capable of imploding. But the Mavs aren't the "get in your head" type of team.

Yup.

crc21209
04-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Looking at the matchups:

The way he's playing right now....Billups>Kidd, Assuming A. Wright starts A.Wright=Dahntay Jones, Carmelo>JHo slightly, Dirk>KMart, Nene>Dampier.

Bench: J.R Smith= Jason Terry pretty much.

Chris Anderson, Linas Kleiza= Brandon Bass and JJ Barea.

Ghazi
04-30-2009, 04:53 PM
When's the last time a team won 2 playoff series w/o home court?

It has not happened since 1st round was extended to best of 7.

I know the Knicks did it in 98-99 though, any since?

Brazil
04-30-2009, 06:02 PM
lol at the mavs fan trying to jinx Denver saying Denver is the better team.
I'm pretty sure that 99% of mavs fans really think they will make the WCF.

IMO it's a 50/50 with a slight hedge for Denver because of the HCA.

SpursDynasty
04-30-2009, 06:08 PM
The Nuggets are going to embarass Dallas in the 2nd round. Dallas accomplished nothing in the first round against a Spurs team without one of its top three defensive and offensive players.

Nuggets in 5.

Rogue
04-30-2009, 06:11 PM
The Nuggets are going to embarass Dallas in the 2nd round. Dallas accomplished nothing in the first round against a Spurs team without one of its top three defensive and offensive players.

Nuggets in 5.
Have already opened your 2nd round predictions, Jeff? :hat

Hubie Brown
04-30-2009, 06:38 PM
This is going to be a fantastic series Mike, but it's a shame we can't see Dallas with all its horses. With Devean George we're talking about a guy who has the quickness, foot work, and feistiness to make Anthony work for his shots. And with Jerry Stackhouse we're talking about a guy who can come off the bench and give you 20-25 points to counter JR Smith. But Dallas isn't making any excuses and you really have to admire that. It should be a great series.

MavFan6488
05-01-2009, 08:46 AM
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1977/chickenmcnuggets.jpg

Mark Jackson
05-01-2009, 09:03 AM
This is going to be a fantastic series Mike, but it's a shame we can't see Dallas with all its horses. With Devean George we're talking about a guy who has the quickness, foot work, and feistiness to make Anthony work for his shots. And with Jerry Stackhouse we're talking about a guy who can come off the bench and give you 20-25 points to counter JR Smith. But Dallas isn't making any excuses and you really have to admire that. It should be a great series.

Spot on analysis Hubie.

Jerry Stackhouse is a knock down shooter in this league and is a clutch performer that they can turn to in the postseason. If you're the Dallas Mavericks and you have Dirk Nowitski you're not scared of the Denver Nuggets. At the end of the day if Dallas is hitting their shots like they did in the first series against San Antonio it doesn't bode well for the Denver Nuggets.

Holmes_Fans
05-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Best thing for Dallas

Game 6 SA to Game 1 DN = 5 days
Game 3 to 4 = 4 days

LEONARD
05-01-2009, 11:09 AM

Nuggets in 5.

Given your predictions record, I'm feeling much better about the series now!!! :lol

LEONARD
05-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Have already opened your 2nd round predictions, Jeff? :hat

Can't wait for them...he's 0/6 on the 1st rd so far... :lol:lol:lol

duncan228
05-01-2009, 11:54 AM
NBA: Thug-Nugs' assault on Mavericks is a must-see series (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090501/BREAKING02/90430120/-1/rss01?source=rss_breaking)
By Randy Galloway

FORT WORTH, Texas — Sometimes, if you're living right, life becomes endless entertainment.

Not so sure on the living right theory, but there was a knock on the front door late Wednesday night, and when I answered, entertainment barged right in.

Hello, you Denver Nuggets.

This, my friends, is going to be a jock kingdom hoot and holler, with great hate also involved.

Game 1, Mavericks-Nuggets, is Sunday afternoon. By sundown, it's a guarantee you will absolutely hate the Denvers, although for those paying attention in the four regular-season meetings, disdain for the Thug-Nugs already should be well established.

I love this team. No, not the Mavs. The Nuggets suddenly have become what I always wanted the Mavs to be:

One very good cop (Chauncey Billups, as a result of the best trade in the NBA all season), surrounded by a talented cast of adult delinquents, and coached by Strother Martin in "Cool Hand Luke" — the great, maybe a tad insane, chain-gang boss, George Karl.

Thug it up. The Nuggets always did, and did nothing. Then Billups arrived. Is Obama paying attention here? If Chauncey could tame that bunch, why not Kabul for his next diplomatic assignment?

I'm not saying you can't win with nice guys, but one, maybe two, maybe Chauncey, should be max. The Mavericks have trended too nice over the years, and paid for it.

Well, now we see. What's best — my thug-it-up theory or Mark Cuban's mouse approach.

By the way, Mark. Stay the hell outta the way this time. The first elbow thrown in the series by J.R. Smith (over-and-under, the second quarter Sunday), remain in your seat. It looks bad for Texas when you're on the floor like a Little League mother, yelping at the mean boys on the other team. Besides, J.R. could take you out in a second. My money would be on Antoine Wright taking out J.R. in a second.

Coming right up, best-of-seven, excellent entertainment and down-and-dirty fun. Techs and flagrants galore.

Don't want to bore you with numbers, and won't, but the matchups in this series are tasty. So are the intangibles.

It's obvious the Mavericks are feeling real giddy about themselves after beating the Spurs in a first-round five. But compared to San Antone, this is a matchup one-eighty. In honor of Saturday's Kentucky Derby, and strictly in style of play comparison, it's like the Nuggets are high-dollar thoroughbreds and the Spurs were five thou claimers. (If you don't know the difference, buy a "Daily Racing Form".)

Speaking, however, of feeling real giddy, the Denver rodents just disposed of New Orleans, as of late Wednesday night, in an easy five games. The Nuggets advanced past the first round for the first time since the fall of the Berlin Wall, or maybe 1994.

Intangibles: Even.

And now for the matchups:

—Jason Kidd vs. Chauncey Billups

Chauncey wasn't going to beat LeBron in the voting, but he still might be the true MVP for this season. His leadership has been immense, and so has his clutch production.

But ...

In four regular-season games, he averaged 14.5 points against the Mavs, on a poor 33 percent shooting.

Kidd won't be facing Frenchy. This is more his speed level. Kidd, however, was mostly dormant against Denver, and his turnovers were high.

There was praise from some for Kidd's lack of turnovers (three) vs. the Spurs. But that's not a pressure-on-the-ball team. This is. Big time.

—Josh Howard vs. Carmelo Anthony.

This is maybe the key to the series. Anthony played more into a team concept (see Billups), but he still killed the Mavs in the regular season with a 31.3 average, on 50 percent shooting. He also got to the line regularly.

Then again, Howard, because of his MIA time, played one full game against Anthony. Josh got his head right against the Spurs, and was the series MVP. Can it continue?

—Dirk Nowitzki vs. Kenyon Martin.

From the regular season, we know Dirk either burned Martin, a Dallas product, or Martin tamed him. Kenyon's red lips tattoo on the neck bugs me — but that's just me. This guy, however, is a defender, rebounder and energy guy.

Can Dirk take him? This is a series where Dirk needs to be a star, ala Game 5 vs. the Spurs.

—Erick Dampier vs. Nene.

Coming off a productive series against Tim Duncan, Damp will have to be even tougher. Nene has schooled him a bit, averaging 17 and 7 in three regular-season games. Ryan Hollins? Maybe a Mavs tag-team is needed here.

—The bench.

The matchup to watch is Jason Terry against J.R., but the kicker might be The Birdman, Chris Anderson, he of the neon tattoos.

Unlike the Spurs, Denver does have a good bench, with Birdman as a very active big.

Smith is dangerous and goofy, although it's usually the extreme of a lot or nothing with him.

Terry has not played well against the Nuggets, averaging less than 40 percent shooting and is coming off a docile Spurs series.

The fly-by-night prediction:

The Nuggets won all four regular-season games, three in bang-bang finishes. Will the Mavs steal a game in Denver? Don't think so.

Denver in an entertaining seven. Thug it up.

Got to admit, the Nuggets have become my favorite NBA team.

Basketballgirl25
05-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I want to see the Nuggets win this, hopefully they do. I root for them because KMart. I think the Nets were stupid not to try to keep him. after KMart left the Nets went downhill, he was a big part of why the Nets were good in 2002 and 2003. I know he might not be as good now, but hope he can be great in this round.:toast

dirk4mvp
05-01-2009, 02:26 PM
I want to see the Nuggets win this, hopefully they do. I root for them because KMart. I think the Nets were stupid not to try to keep him. after KMart left the Nets went downhill, he was a big part of why the Nets were good in 2002 and 2003. I know he might not be as good now, but hope he can be great in this round.:toast

Are you a nets fan or spurs fan?

lefty
05-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Nuggets in 3

IronMexican
05-01-2009, 02:28 PM

:rollin This guy has to be a mavfan troll.

Basketballgirl25
05-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Are you a nets fan or spurs fan?

Nets Fan, then Spurs fan only time I don't root for the Spurs when they play Nets, pretty much only team I am not a fan of is Dallas:lol. I hated Steve Nash so much when he was on Dallas once he became a Sun that hate stopped:toast

dirk4mvp
05-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Do you know a guy named Ben Jarvus?

Rogue
05-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Daughter Kenyon Martin is just a big pussy that is very prone to bleed everytime he gets fucked, there is really no clue why you love him that much. The Nets traded him in 04, which I think was the smartest move this team has made in recent years, they traded for Vince Carter who is the only column that keeps their palace standing still.