PDA

View Full Version : Any Eye/Doctors in here?

Duff McCartney
04-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Not sure what it is but I think I have a pretty severe case of pink eye. It started on Friday at work and my right eye was bothering me. I thought it was just my contacts but then it stayed red after I took it off. It's been that way ever since. Today feels worse because I can barely open it to look outside. The light is just killing me. Anyone know a good clinic that won't cost me an arm and a leg...or something I could do?

I didn't think it would go on this long.

SpursWoman
04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
If it's conjunctivitis (pink eye) I think you need antibiotic drops from the doctor, sorry....

It's extremely contagious, btw. :spin

Summers
04-29-2009, 09:59 AM
If it's conjunctivitis (pink eye) I think you need antibiotic drops from the doctor, sorry....

It's extremely contagious, btw. :spin

That and you don't need to see an eye doctor, specifically. Anyone can give you a prescription for it. But wash your hands!

Viva Las Espuelas
04-29-2009, 10:00 AM
quit looking at dogs taking a crap

SpursWoman
04-29-2009, 10:04 AM

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

My grandma used to tell me that when I was little ... thanks for that. :lol

Duff McCartney
04-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Yeah I know it's contagious. I've never had it before so I don't know how intense it's supposed to be. But just wondering if it's supposed to go on for nearly a week.

mrsmaalox
04-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Do you have a cold? If you do then the pink eye is probably viral and the treatment is just palliative; soaked chamomile teabags work well or you can get some boric acid at Walgreens and make your own soaks. If it's caused by a bacteria, antibiotic drops will fix it but I have heard of people getting good results with salt water soaks. I once read that for a bacterial infection you put a drop of honey in the eye--but please research that before you try it! :) But either one is very contagious; be sure to throw away both of the contacts you were wearing :tu

Summers
04-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah I know it's contagious. I've never had it before so I don't know how intense it's supposed to be. But just wondering if it's supposed to go on for nearly a week.

Tomorrow morning you won't be able to open your eyes until you feel your way to the sink and wash the crust off them.

to21
04-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Not sure what it is but I think I have a pretty severe case of pink eye. It started on Friday at work and my right eye was bothering me. I thought it was just my contacts but then it stayed red after I took it off. It's been that way ever since. Today feels worse because I can barely open it to look outside. The light is just killing me. Anyone know a good clinic that won't cost me an arm and a leg...or something I could do?

I didn't think it would go on this long.Do you leave your contacts in longer than you should?

CuckingFunt
04-29-2009, 11:02 AM
I can't tell from the first post whether you can barely open your eye because of pain and light sensitivity, or because you're physically unable to do so. If it's redness and pain, it may have something to do with your contacts or may be a corneal abrasion, or something like that. If it's pink eye, it would be irritated/itchy and swollen shut.

to21
04-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I've had two corneal ulcers that hurt like a bitch.....sounds like something you might have.

If you go to a med clinic,, they'll put some drops in your eye and use a black light to see if you have small pin holes in your cornea. If you do, be prepared to put drops in your eye that won't let you see out of it for days.

Shelly
04-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I can't believe you haven't gone to the doctor yet!

ploto
04-29-2009, 11:45 AM
I hope you do not keep putting the same contact in that eye-- technically for most pink eye you really do not need the drops, but they give them to you anyway

Jekka
04-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeah, you really need to get that shit checked out - if it's pink eye, you could have already exposed other people to it. I know some people that have had good experiences at the free clinic on McCullough and Olmos.

JudynTX
04-29-2009, 12:28 PM

:lol :lol Or watch 2 dogs stuck! :lmao

bus driver
04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
:ttiwwp:

SpursWoman
04-29-2009, 01:05 PM
One of the types of bacteria that can cause pink eye is also a cause of sexually transmitted diseases like chlamydia and gonorrhea, so maybe you really should go to a doctor. :wow :lol

Seriously,

At HEB in the contact lens/eye drop section there is a brand of drops called Similasan (usually on the top shelf) that has several different types of eye and ear drops, and one of them is Pink Eye relief. I've never tried the Pink Eye one, but the dry eye relief is the best I've ever tried. User goes through this by the case for his contacts. It's OTC so if there is a bacterial infection it might not cure it, but it's bound to give you at least temporary relief. :)

http://www.similasanusa.com/products-pink-eye-relief.cfm

ashbeeigh
04-29-2009, 01:31 PM
google pink eye remedies. I cannot for the life of me remember what I used when I had it two years ago, but I used some kind of crazy homeopathic thing I found online because I couldn't make it back to SA to the doctor before finals and it worked.

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2009, 01:32 PM
is it like this?

http://images.animelab.com/gallery/Naruto/Images/Sharingan0.jpg
you lack hatred.....

Duff McCartney
04-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks but I did go to the doctor. We have a free clinic at UTSA and I went there first but no it's not pink eye. I have a huge sensitivity to light and the doctor said that has nothing to do with pink eye. I had to go to where I get my contacts and see an opthemetrist for it. It's an infection that has caused swelling in my cornea.

Thankfully he gave me some drops and I should be as good as new in a few days. My mom came with me and we had discussions about insurance of course. The doctor at school asked if I had a physician I said no, then she asked if I had family here and I was like yes, and then if they had a family physician I was like no, then if I had insurance, again no!

I'm sure I looked at her like she was crazy and she looked at me like I was too. Of course we don't have a family physician or insurance.

JoeChalupa
04-29-2009, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't have waited. I don't screw around when it come to my eyes.

Jekka
04-29-2009, 06:53 PM
My mom came with me and we had discussions about insurance of course. The doctor at school asked if I had a physician I said no, then she asked if I had family here and I was like yes, and then if they had a family physician I was like no, then if I had insurance, again no!

I'm sure I looked at her like she was crazy and she looked at me like I was too. Of course we don't have a family physician or insurance.

You don't have any insurance at all? I realize that insurance can be expensive, but that shit is really important. I have a high deductible policy that doesn't cover shit if I haven't met the deductible, but man, if something happens and I need to spend more than $2500 I'm going to be really fucking glad that I have it. It's an individual policy through United and it only runs me about $80/mo - you really should check into something like that.

SpursWoman
04-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks but I did go to the doctor.

Good choice .... sometimes self-diagnosis is not such a good thing, especially concerning your eyes. :tu

I wouldn't have waited. I don't screw around when it come to my eyes.

My son had a pretty nasty scratch on his cornea just last week ... I didn't mess around, either.

ashbeeigh
04-29-2009, 07:34 PM
The doctor at school asked if I had a physician I said no, then she asked if I had family here and I was like yes, and then if they had a family physician I was like no, then if I had insurance, again no!

Have you looked in to CareLink? I don't know the specifics on how it works, but it's a step above Medicare/Medicaid and works with University hospital and you should be able to get in to it because it's based on 300% of poverty level (which is a pretty big range).

A lot of the locations are inside 410, but heck, it's medical coverage and when you need it you need it. One location is right across the street from my office.

http://www.universityhealthsystem.com/carelink/how-does-carelink-work.shtml

exstatic
04-29-2009, 07:36 PM
You don't have any insurance at all? I realize that insurance can be expensive, but that shit is really important. I have a high deductible policy that doesn't cover shit if I haven't met the deductible, but man, if something happens and I need to spend more than $2500 I'm going to be really fucking glad that I have it. It's an individual policy through United and it only runs me about $80/mo - you really should check into something like that.

I have an HSA policy similar to that at work, but my deductable is $3000. The cool thing is that the "street price" for someone not insured is NOT what I pay. I had two trips to Texas Med last month, and the listed price was over $500. My policy knocked that down to ~$225-230.

People at work with families have had some good luck with ehealthinsurance.com

Get some insurance.

E20
04-29-2009, 10:19 PM
I had pink eye once and antibiotics at the doctors fixed it. Then I got it a second time and I bought a over the counter pink eye drop thing. it worked.

Duff McCartney
04-29-2009, 11:20 PM
I've never felt the need for health insurance. I hardly ever get sick and never gotten anything like this before. Thankfully it wasn't much for the doctor or the medicine.

Still if it came down to it and I had to go to the hospital for any reason I'd just pull the plug. As sordid as it sounds I mean it with all sincerity...any thing that would bury me in debt I'd just leave myself be. I'd either live with the pain or just get euthanized.

Living with debt you'll never pay off is no way to live.

to21
04-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Going to the med clinic to have someone check to see if you have an abrasion or a bacteria infection should not put you into debt.

SpursWoman
04-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Going to the med clinic to have someone check to see if you have an abrasion or a bacteria infection should not put you into debt.

If I hadn't have had insurance, the trip to take care of the abrasion on my son's eye would have been $550 ... which includes what they charged for the follow up visit. (at an opthamologist).

They charged $70 just for ONE contact bandaid (basically an extended wear contact w/no script). :wow

Texas MedClinic would have been at least $200. When you're paycheck to paycheck, that might as well be a million. :fro

Duff McCartney
04-30-2009, 03:10 PM

I never said it would. I said a hospital. And I'd probably have to say a serious condition...you know..like cancer or some other crap.

to21
05-01-2009, 08:15 AM
If I hadn't have had insurance, the trip to take care of the abrasion on my son's eye would have been $550 ... which includes what they charged for the follow up visit. (at an opthamologist).

They charged $70 just for ONE contact bandaid (basically an extended wear contact w/no script). :wow

Texas MedClinic would have been at least $200. When you're paycheck to paycheck, that might as well be a million. :froI guess...

That's why I pay $85 dollars a month for just me at work. So all that comes out of my pocket is the co-pay of $25 dollars. I chose to get fucked monthly....thank you.

to21
05-01-2009, 08:18 AM
I never said it would. I said a hospital. And I'd probably have to say a serious condition...you know..like cancer or some other crap.You came in here asking for help and suggestions for an eye.

I never said cancer.

Summers
05-01-2009, 08:26 AM
I've never felt the need for health insurance. I hardly ever get sick and never gotten anything like this before. Thankfully it wasn't much for the doctor or the medicine.

Still if it came down to it and I had to go to the hospital for any reason I'd just pull the plug. As sordid as it sounds I mean it with all sincerity...any thing that would bury me in debt I'd just leave myself be. I'd either live with the pain or just get euthanized.

Living with debt you'll never pay off is no way to live.

I'm guessing you're young, healthy, and childless, right? Noone really sees the need for health insurance when you're healthy. We didn't have insurance for a while after we had our first baby and it was terrifying to think a minor accident could break RG's leg, he'd be unable to work, we'd have a mountain of medical bills and probably have to move in with family to survive.

Alternately, I used to work for a guy who had a wife and four boys. They keep a substantial medical savings account rather than have insurance. He says he gets discounts because they pay cash (and I'm guessing they single-handedly keep their pediatrician in business), but they do carry a small catastrophic policy.

Duff McCartney
05-01-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm guessing you're young, healthy, and childless, right? Noone really sees the need for health insurance when you're healthy. We didn't have insurance for a while after we had our first baby and it was terrifying to think a minor accident could break RG's leg, he'd be unable to work, we'd have a mountain of medical bills and probably have to move in with family to survive.

Alternately, I used to work for a guy who had a wife and four boys. They keep a substantial medical savings account rather than have insurance. He says he gets discounts because they pay cash (and I'm guessing they single-handedly keep their pediatrician in business), but they do carry a small catastrophic policy.

I may not be young and healthy forever, but I know for damn sure I'll ALWAYS be childless.

703 Spurz
05-01-2009, 12:57 PM

I didn't think it would go on this long.

Someone fart on your pillow case?