PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Mayweather-Marquez deal "has been reached"

JoshO501
04-29-2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.badlefthook.com/2009/4/27/856726/rumor-mayweather-marquez-deal-has

Rick Reeno of BoxingScene.com has the following:

BoxingScene.com was advised by two sources who are close to the situation that a deal has been reached for Floyd Mayweather Jr. to fight Juan Manuel Marquez. The proposed date is July 18 on HBO pay-per-view. The two sides have been negotiating for several weeks and the biggest roadblock was the catch-weight. The exact weight was not disclosed to me, but from [what] I understand the two sides agreed on a weight below 145 pounds.

I'd guess 143 or 144 for the weight, but all signals are going green for Mayweather-Marquez, like it or not. This will sell pretty well due to the intrigue of Floyd's return, but it will also sell well because it's another chance for an underdog Mexican warrior to be the guy that takes Floyd's "0." Never count out the rabid Mexican fans when it comes to PPV support, and Marquez is the biggest star they have left.

Now, this won't be some million seller or anything, and probably won't beat the 900K that Mayweather-Hatton did over here. I'd expect somewhere between 500-600,000 buys, though, and you know Golden Boy and HBO will go all out promoting, and Floyd will more than hold up his end making this an event.

I'll guarantee a few things, though:

1. Mayweather won't fight Pacquiao if/when he beats Marquez, should Pacquiao beat Hatton. Arum can trash Floyd all he wants, but I don't think he'll be itching to put Manny in with him. Cotto? Yeah, I think he'd put Cotto in with Floyd.
2. If Hatton and Mayweather both win, there's not a single solitary doubt in my mind they'll fight again. I'll watch because I watch everything of any value if it's presented to me, but while I certainly think there are enough casual fans and Hatton crazies (no offense, anyone) to make it a big success, it won't be what the first meeting was in any way, unless Big Floyd stayed on board with Hatton for the fight. Then you've got a great "24/7" on board for a fight where "Little" Floyd wrecks Hatton again.
3. If Mayweather-Pacquiao can't be made, I don't think Mayweather will fight Cotto, who has a tough fight on his hands in June, too. But assuming THEY both win, no I don't think Floyd will fight Cotto. I don't think he has the guts. I'm not a Floyd basher, but I also don't have blinders on. Incredible talent, questionable desire. Nothing he's ever done really gives me the impression he'd fight Cotto. Period. That's not really a knock, it's just the way it is.
4. If Floyd can't fight Ricky again, I don't have any clue what he'd actually be willing to do. He might just "retire" again and wait to be called out by someone he thinks he can handle.

baseline bum
04-29-2009, 12:29 PM
That'll be sweet, though I don't see why anyone ducking Manny would be all that eager to fight Marquez.

IronMexican
04-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Let's go JMM!

JoshO501
04-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Let's go JMM!

for real! someone needs to put floyd on his ass.

Hooks
04-30-2009, 02:34 PM
I got Mayweather by KO if they fight, but I will be rooting for JMM.

The reason I see him knocking out Marquez is that Mayweather has more power than anyone Marquez has faced and that JMM can't really take a shot.

TheMACHINE
04-30-2009, 03:02 PM
i dont like any of em. I hope thek both knock each other out and its a draw.

hater
04-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Marquez will probably lose. but this is a good fight. :tu

mexicanjunior
05-01-2009, 12:03 PM
This will be a great fight but I don't see JMM being able to deal with Mayweather's speed and size. I think he will put up a valiant effort but would end up falling somewhere in the 9th to 11th round after absorbing alot of counter punches. I will be rooting like crazy for him though.

RedsLakers24
05-02-2009, 03:33 AM
Mexican fighters always give good fights except De La Hoya, Mayweather style of boxing puts me to sleep and probaly will win the fight because of Points and will end up being a boring fight just throwing jabs and running

BWS-1994
05-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Will Mayweather be able to regain his old form in time for July 18?

Man In Black
05-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Doesn't matter...either one of these guys come to Pac at 140 and an ass-kicking will ensue.

PBF can run but even then, he has to STOP, to throw punches and when he does, the quick in Pac will find him and blemish Floyd's record.

TheMACHINE
05-03-2009, 02:07 AM
if PBF loses, I WILL BE PISSED.

We want PBF/PACMAN!

lebomb
05-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Have any of yall realized that Mayweather is fast as hell too? This is the exact type of fighter Manny has yet to fight. Someone with blazing speed like his own. This fight would be epic.

TheMACHINE
05-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Have any of yall realized that Mayweather is fast as hell too? This is the exact type of fighter Manny has yet to fight. Someone with blazing speed like his own. This fight would be epic.

Cant wait.

resistanze
05-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Mayweather won't come down to 140.

IronMexican
05-03-2009, 02:04 PM
What Resistnze said. If they fight, it's gonna be at 143/144

RedsLakers24
05-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Mayweather doesnt put good fights, i havent seen one good fight out of him, i remember that people were saying Oscar vs Mayweather was going to be epic but it was boring as heck, a good fight would be Pac Man versus Mosley or Margarito or Cotto, guys who dont run away from opponents

mexicanjunior
05-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Doesn't matter...either one of these guys come to Pac at 140 and an ass-kicking will ensue.

JMM fought Pacman twice and, although Manny won the 2nd, both were highly competitive fights. Marquez had the style that works against an aggressive speedster like Manny, great and precise counter punching. Had Hatton adapted this style of fighting, he may have stood a better chance.

TheMACHINE
05-04-2009, 07:11 PM
JMM fought Pacman twice and, although Manny won the 2nd, both were highly competitive fights. Marquez had the style that works against an aggressive speedster like Manny, great and precise counter punching. Had Hatton adapted this style of fighting, he may have stood a better chance.

JMM vs Pac would be ok. I think its a bit "been there done that"...time to go up against new fighters.