PDA

View Full Version : It's a great day to be a Mav fan..

mavs>spurs2
04-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Close-out special: Dallas Mavericks oust Spurs, 106-93

10:25 AM CDT on Wednesday, April 29, 2009

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

SAN ANTONIO – It will go down in the history books as an upset, the No. 6 seed beating the No. 3 seed.

But if the Mavericks have anything to say about it before they are done, their playoff take-down of the San Antonio Spurs will be remembered as the first step in a longer journey.

"We're not finished yet," Jason Terry said.

That feeling wafted through a feel-good, but not overly jubilant, Mavericks' locker room after they punished the Spurs, 106-93, at AT&T Center to win the first-round playoff series, 4-1.

The Mavericks finished off the four-time champions over the last decade with the first dominant performance in the series by Dirk Nowitzki (31 points, nine rebounds) and a lot of help from his friends.

They will be heading to the conference semifinals for the first time since 2006. They will face either Denver or New Orleans. The Nuggets own a 3-1 lead in that series.

"I'm happy for our players," coach Rick Carlisle said. "It's been a turbulent year, but a lot of things happened at the right time.

"Josh Howard's health was a big part of that. He was probably our MVP of the series."

Howard capped a 10-day run of big efforts with 17 points and eight rebounds on Tuesday. He also had three steals as the Mavericks played better defense than the Spurs' 52-percent shooting would suggest.

Howard was one of six Mavericks – including all five starters – scoring in double figures.

"I didn't do anything special to get my game going," he said. "In the playoffs, you can't come in with your 'C' game. You have to bring your 'A' game."

The Mavericks had not done that the last two years, when they were knocked out of the playoffs in the first round.

"This is our best basketball of the year," Erick Dampier said. "That's a big key for us, to be playing well at the right time."

Added Jason Kidd, who had 23 assists and only three turnovers in the series: "It's a relief."

Even San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said the best-of-7 series proved who deserved to advance in the playoffs.

"They're a better team than we are right now," he said. "We made runs, but every time we got back into the game, they made more big shots. That's why they won the series."

The Mavericks had more players playing well throughout this series than the Spurs did. With Manu Ginobili out for the Spurs and the Mavericks getting contributions from Howard, J.J. Barea, Kidd and Dampier as well as Nowitzki, the Spurs simply did not have enough weapons. That much was obvious in the clincher. The Mavericks never trailed and led by as many as 16.

The Mavericks had ridden Nowitzki and all his helpers to a 15-point lead going into the fourth quarter. They knew the Spurs would make a strong push down the stretch, but it never really came.

Jason Terry canned a couple of 3-pointers, then Dirk took the baton and sank a pair of mid-range jumpers. All the while the Mavericks kept the lead in double figures, as if they were a bulldog holding onto a pants leg.

On several occasions, the Spurs got within 10, but each time the Mavericks responded with a score. When Terry hit a jumper and two free throws, the lead was 98-86 with under 2:30 to go and the Spurs knew they were beaten.

It was one of the vintage performances for the Mavericks, who will be rewarded with several days of rest before the next series begins.

:toast I don't care what anyone says. When I'm feeling down, all I gotta think about is how the Mavs put out the hated Spurs 2 times now, and suddenly my day just got a whole lot brighter :). Lebron or Kobe may win the championship, but at the end of the day I'm proud of the boys in blue for making the best of things and salvaging what could have been a disastrous season. This offseason we definitely need to make some moves, but when it's all said and done when I'm having a bad day, at least I can think to myself "Well at least my dick's still big, and the Mavs beat the Spurs!" Suck on that Blake, init2winit, and all you other Spur douches. Props to those of you who displayed good sportsmanship, may your team retool and get healthy again this offseason :toast

dirk4mvp
04-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Where's that douchebag spurfaninla who put me on ignore in the chat last night? Have fun on your fishing trip :toast

mavs>spurs2
04-29-2009, 12:34 PM
I think the whole chat had mav fan on ignore by default. I said something to baseline bum twice and he never responded, and I didn't even say anything to piss him off :lol. There there spur fan

IronMexican
04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
LMAO Spurs

stretch
04-29-2009, 12:43 PM
lol spurs

spursncowboys
04-29-2009, 12:57 PM
What is funny is when the Spurs beat the Mavs in the PO, they finish it with a Championship. The Mavs, with all the ref help in 06 still lost to Miami. Haha. So proceed with the gloating and have fun with your parade for the first round.
Mavs>Spurs.... 4 rings>0 rings.....
hopefully you can obtain some class with this, much like the Spurs (ex. Spurs got hosed by the refs and never once blamed them when they lost in 06. The Mavs put their choke job on the bad call in favor of flash)
Also your owners classless firing of The greatest coach in Mavs history -Lil General Avery Johnson.
in closing, good luck next round I hope you make it competitive and hopefully Josh Howard Doesn't get pulled over after the club.

Basketballgirl25
04-29-2009, 03:15 PM
have fun with your little run mav fans, could be the last time Kidd is a mavs from articles I've read so take it all in just in case, or actually don't take it all in Kidd isn't always good at saying the right things, he lies about things all the time over the years I watched him as a Net and bet he still does. Good Luck vs Nuggets, but I don't think it will be as easy as the Spurs, I think Nuggets will be a whole lot tougher unless mavs just collapse then it will be easy

dirk4mvp
04-29-2009, 03:20 PM
have fun with your little run mav fans, could be the last time Kidd is a mavs from articles I've read so take it all in just in case, or actually don't take it all in Kidd isn't always good at saying the right things, he lies about things all the time over the years I watched him as a Net and bet he still does. Good Luck vs Nuggets, but I don't think it will be as easy as the Spurs, I think Nuggets will be a whole lot tougher unless mavs just collapse then it will be easy

Thanks for this incoherent piece of shit post. What's Devin Harris doing now?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-29-2009, 03:22 PM

lol pretend Nets fan trying to piss Dallas fans off.

I. Hustle
04-29-2009, 03:22 PM
At the end of the day the Spurs will still be the '09 Southwest Division Champs and the Mavs will just be the Mavs. Yeah the division title didn't get us anywhere but beating us isn't going to get you guys anywhere either.

j-money24
04-29-2009, 03:23 PM
lol mavs
lol spurs

IronMexican
04-29-2009, 03:24 PM
How did that Scola trade work?

KSeal
04-29-2009, 03:25 PM
At the end of the day the Spurs will still be the '09 Southwest Division Champs and the Mavs will just be the Mavs. Yeah the division title didn't get us anywhere but beating us isn't going to get you guys anywhere either.

:lmao:lol:lmao:rollin

gmanrulz
04-29-2009, 03:29 PM
haha mavs celebrating beating spurs without ginobili. Celebrate when you win a championship, which will be never

mavs>spurs2
04-29-2009, 03:32 PM
:lol You guys mad?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-29-2009, 03:34 PM
haha mavs celebrating beating spurs without ginobili. Celebrate when you win a championship, which will be never

lol fan acting like the team's championship is a personal achievement.

mingus
04-29-2009, 03:34 PM
:sleep

they need at least one ring to even belong in the same sentence as the Spurs ...

:flag:

mavs>spurs2
04-29-2009, 03:35 PM
:sleep

they need at least one ring to even belong in the same sentence as the Spurs ...

:flag:

See 2006

:lobt2:

mingus
04-29-2009, 03:38 PM
See 2006

:lobt2:

did the mavs get a Larry O'brien for that ? ...

all mavs fan has is false sense of accomplishment .

mavs>spurs2
04-29-2009, 03:39 PM
did the mavs get a Larry O'brien for that ? ...

all mavs fan has is false of accomplishment .

Everyone knows the Mavs got screwed. For all intensive purposes, we're the 2006 champions to everyone not named David Stern.

Spursfan092120
04-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Perfect example. Spurs lose...they make a congrats Mavs thread (me). Mavs win, the fans STILL talk shit. Sounds like someone needs to get the sand out of their vagina. Talk all you want, but last time I checked, you're not done..2nd round is next. And beating the Spurs isn't the championship...you still have a LOT of work to do. So be a man, give respect, and move on. Talking shit about the Spurs isn't going to do a damn thing about round 2.

mingus
04-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Everyone knows the Mavs got screwed. For all intensive purposes, we're the 2006 champions to everyone not named David Stern.

okay ... :lol

Spursfan092120
04-29-2009, 03:44 PM
:toast I don't care what anyone says. When I'm feeling down, all I gotta think about is how the Mavs put out the hated Spurs 2 times now, and suddenly my day just got a whole lot brighter :). Lebron or Kobe may win the championship, but at the end of the day I'm proud of the boys in blue for making the best of things and salvaging what could have been a disastrous season. This offseason we definitely need to make some moves, but when it's all said and done when I'm having a bad day, at least I can think to myself "Well at least my dick's still big, and the Mavs beat the Spurs!" Suck on that Blake, init2winit, and all you other Spur douches. Props to those of you who displayed good sportsmanship, may your team retool and get healthy again this offseason :toast
If beating the Spurs is all you care about, you have no respect for your team. Congratulations if beating the Spurs is your title...but at the end, beating us means absolutely nothing. Because in the end, if/when the Nuggets or Lakers take you out, you won't be remembered...at all. Spurs will..we're the division champs. We'll be in the record books. You'll just be another team that got eliminated. And it will remain that way until you win a title. But if beating the Spurs is enough for you...I feel bad for you.

Spursfan092120
04-29-2009, 03:46 PM
hilarious. You really call choking 4 games in a row getting screwed? Come on dude...man up. We could say we got screwed in this series too..officiating was horrible. But the truth was, we got outplayed...just like the Mavs did in 06.

Ghazi
04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Given teh way this season played out I really can't feel bad what happens from here on out, unless we get swept or dominated in an embarassing fashion

1. we started 2-7
2. we had 5 game loss streak/4 game loss streak
3. looked like 9th place team in mid January
4. looked like 8th place team up until last week of season

So given that the expectations were low during regular season, I can't feel bad no matter what happens from here on out.

IronMexican
04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
I've never seen Spur fans so butt hurt.

Spursfan092120
04-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Not upset..already gave my props...I've never seen any fans so excited about a round 1 win. To start 600 threads, and talk all kinds of shit about winning in round 1...it's sad..really..and we have to stand up for our team, so we do. It's not butt hurt...we actually feel bad for them.

mavs>spurs2
04-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Dance puppets..dance

Spursfan092120
04-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Dance puppets..dance
4 rings bitch...lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
lol racist Spurs fan

mavs>spurs2
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
4 rings bitch...lol

uno anillo, pendejo!

Spursfan092120
04-29-2009, 03:53 PM
uno anillo, pendejo!
Que desea, polla.

Dex
04-29-2009, 03:54 PM

You apparently weren't around for 2006. :lol

Good series, Mavs, and good luck.

I. Hustle
04-29-2009, 03:54 PM
/mavtalk

mavs>spurs2
04-29-2009, 03:55 PM
You apparently weren't around for 2006. :lol

Good series, Mavs, and good luck.

Thanks son I really appreciate it :toast. Hopefully you guys can retool this offseason with a couple of good role players and get healthy

Trainwreck2100
04-29-2009, 03:56 PM
second round ecstasy

sonic21
04-29-2009, 03:57 PM
The difference in this series was role players. The better team won.
And Dirk is my favourite non-spurs player, so good luck for the 2nd round.

mavs>spurs2
04-29-2009, 03:58 PM
The difference in this series was role players. The better team won.
And Dirk is my favourite non-spurs player, so good luck for the 2nd round.

You and Dex deserve serious props. I started this thread just to have fun but notice the disclaimer in my original post giving props to those of you with good sportsmanship. I sincerely hope you guys bounce back next year as well as the Mavs making a few moves or the playoffs just won't be the same.

dirk4mvp
04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
nice job, mavs>spurs. They fall for it everytime :lol

spursfan09
04-29-2009, 04:40 PM

Well becuase you weren't here in 06 when we played the mavs then. I think cause the Lakers were sucking? but then you magically came along when the Lakers started winning :wow

IronMexican
04-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Well becuase you weren't here in 06 when we played the mavs then. I think cause the Lakers were sucking? but then you magically came along when the Lakers started winning :wow

I had no idea what forums even were in 2006, :lol. I never thought I was going to stay on these forums that long. But once you come here, it's hard to go back to a lesser forum like CL or LG.

Dex
04-29-2009, 04:51 PM
You and Dex deserve serious props. I started this thread just to have fun but notice the disclaimer in my original post giving props to those of you with good sportsmanship. I sincerely hope you guys bounce back next year as well as the Mavs making a few moves or the playoffs just won't be the same.

Thanks. No fan likes watching their team go out, but it's hard to argue with the results. Spurs just didn't look nearly as powerful as years past, and the Mavs are rolling and made all the shots when it counted. They deserved the win.

The Spurs will retool around Tim, Tony, and Manu, and will be right back in the hunt next year. That's why the games are played. Here's hoping for a 2010 rematch. (Hopefully with a full deck this time)

hater
04-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Congratulations mavfan. Your boys in boy played their little hearts out. Beat the snot out of the old Spurs.

But you gotta recognize the Spur players fought till the end. I am proud of my boys in black.

Mavs better make it to the WCF so I can root for them vs. the Fakers

nkdlunch
04-29-2009, 05:08 PM
no butthurt spur fan here.

props to the mavs, they were the better team. fuck the Lakers

LEONARD
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Season = success

For all intensive purposes

:lmao

Basketballgirl25
04-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for this incoherent piece of shit post. What's Devin Harris doing now?

he is rebuilding with the Nets, sorry to say, but can't talk shit about the Nets this year. They did worse with Kidd, Carter, and Jefferson on the team then they did this year. People excepted them to be great the year with Kidd, Carter and Jefferson on the team. This season people excepted them to be worse then the Knicks. Tell me did thr mavs beat the Lakers or Cavs and win the finals? Or did they only make it out of the first round, they are just like the "OLD NETS" a team good and not great enough the win the finals you will see:toast

spursfan09
04-29-2009, 05:51 PM
I had no idea what forums even were in 2006, :lol. I never thought I was going to stay on these forums that long. But once you come here, it's hard to go back to a lesser forum like CL or LG.

Thats true. Anyway was just messin wit you because you are a cool Laker fan :tu

Basketballgirl25
04-29-2009, 05:51 PM
lol pretend Nets fan trying to piss Dallas fans off.

No I really am a Nets fan trust me, would I go to 20 Nets games this season if I wasn't lol.

blink
04-29-2009, 05:52 PM
i dont give a rats ass about all this bickering but do mav fans really claim a championship on 2006?

wow, that's like that saddest thing ive ever heard.

Basketballgirl25
04-29-2009, 06:00 PM
i dont give a rats ass about all this bickering but do mav fans really claim a championship on 2006?

this is why I hate the Mavs, it's not the Mav players I hate, they are all great. And I don't hate all the fans, but a lot of fans say the won in 2006 when they didn't win. I don't care if the refs let Miami win, heck I hated Miami till I got annoyed with Mav fans saying they won when they didn't. Miami Heat, so maybe I should hope Mavs win this year so fans can stop pretending they won

SpursDynasty
04-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Dallas only won because we didn't have Ginobili.

That's like us getting happy for beating the Lakers when Pau Gasol or Kobe is injured.

Yeah Dallas, so much to celebrate. Get past the 2nd round and maybe I'll be impressed.

cornbread
04-29-2009, 06:14 PM

Noob. We've been butthurt way worse than this.

LEONARD
04-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Dallas only won because we didn't have Ginobili.

That's like us getting happy for beating the Lakers when Pau Gasol or Kobe is injured.

Yeah Dallas, so much to celebrate. Get past the 2nd round and maybe I'll be impressed.

Damn...I thought you might've blown your head off last night... :(

Kobe = Manu...got it!! :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Blake
04-29-2009, 06:23 PM

and the confetti drop in Dallas after they won game 3 might have been the saddest thing I have ever seen.

Cuban obviously feels that beating the Spurs = :lobt2:

Blake
04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Damn...I thought you might've blown your head off last night... :(

Kobe = Manu...got it!! :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

leonard and sd going back and forth with himself this long might be the 2nd saddest thing.

Shank
04-29-2009, 06:31 PM
and the confetti drop in Dallas after they won game 3 might have been the saddest thing I have ever seen.

Cuban obviously feels that beating the Spurs = :lobt2:

Did you miss where they do this in a number of arenas, even during regular season games?

spursfan09
04-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Did you miss where they do this in a number of arenas, even during regular season games?

I guess this doesn't really happen against the Spurs. Only saw confetti after a Spurs game after they won a title.

Rogue
04-29-2009, 09:41 PM
this is why I hate the Mavs, it's not the Mav players I hate, they are all great. And I don't hate all the fans, but a lot of fans say the won in 2006 when they didn't win. I don't care if the refs let Miami win, heck I hated Miami till I got annoyed with Mav fans saying they won when they didn't. Miami Heat, so maybe I should hope Mavs win this year so fans can stop pretending they won
daughter you should have clearly what a series the 06's finals was if you hadn't got any problem with your eyes. Five boys in blue played against 8 thugs on the court, no matter in Dallas or in Mimmy the bullshit whistles all went onto our boys in blue while Wade's travellings were totally ignored.

But we mavs fans don't like living on recalling the old trophies like "four rings, fs". So this season our boys in blue have got to win the championship to keep their glory lively, re-allocating your hope on Mavs is a good decision for you daughter.

Holmes_Fans
04-29-2009, 09:47 PM
sig

Strike
04-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Thats true. Anyway was just messin wit you because you are a cool Laker fan :tu

There had to be one.

Strike
04-29-2009, 09:51 PM
sig

Awesome pic. :lmao Can't argue with good comedy and your sig pic is good comedy.

spursfan09
04-29-2009, 11:02 PM
sig

:lmao Tony Parker

But he's the one on the floor, so he has a point no? :blah