PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Could Still be A Top Stud

jackseven
04-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Did anyone catch Tim Duncan's act against the Mavs yesterday? Where in the hell has that been for the past 3 years?

Because the Spurs were about to be eliminated, Duncan stopped thinking and stopped passing and became the Spurs #1 option again and started drilling everything. If 1) the refs hadn't called a foul against the Spurs every time they would come back and 2) the Mavs wouldn't have made almost every shot they took, the Spurs were going to win that game.

I wish Duncan would stop waiting for the double team in the post so that he can pass out to someone else. If nothing else that last half of basketball showed he can score like he's in an empty gym if he wanted to. I had no clue he had that much game, the only thing I ever see him do nowadays is catch the ball in the post and wait for a double team so he can pass to Matt Bonner for a three. Otherwise, he's trying to draw fouls on everyone instead of just shooting the damn ball and playing real basketball.

And even with no leap or explosion, he showed he's still very fluid and can move well. Spurs could very well still have another elite superstar on their hands.

Did anyone else wonder why this is the first time MVP Duncan showed up? I'm kind of mad that Pop has let Duncan become a conduit to sucky players getting outside shots rather than just going with Tim Duncan himself. Duncan is also at fault because he plays way too passively by not making a move right away and by not shooting to make a basket but shooting to get fouled.

I didn't think there was a chance in hell for the Spurs in the next few years but if Duncan goes back to the KISS method and the Spurs primarily use his talents instead of Matt Bonner, Roger Mason, Ime Udoka, Michael Finley then there is hope yet.

Maybe Sean Elliott can tweet this in Duncan's ear because he usually complains about Duncan not making a move right away about once a telecast.

Bulwark
04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I think Duncan has become to passive as of late. Now, what we can attribute that to is another thread (injuries or deferrment). It's unfortunate he didn't take control like he did earlier in the game.

Thomas82
04-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I think Duncan has become to passive as of late. Now, what we can attribute that to is another thread (injuries or deferrment). It's unfortunate he didn't take control like he did earlier in the game.

Yeah, that's the Tim Duncan we need to see (I expect to see) next year. He's is not washed-up by a long shot. More than any other off-season acquisition, the most important one will be a healthy Tim Duncan, followed by a healthy Manu Ginobilli.

z0sa
04-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah, that's the Tim Duncan we need to see (I expect to see) next year. He's is not washed-up by a long shot. More than any other off-season acquisition, the most important one will be a healthy Tim Duncan, followed by a healthy Manu Ginobilli.

switch manu and tim and you're correct. Tim repeatedly came out and said he's felt the best as he's felt all year during the first round - does that mean 100%? Of course not. But he was 90% or better and his teammates were lacking.

We needed Manu in a big, big way this series to not get punked and well, we got punked.

Thomas82
04-29-2009, 01:06 PM
switch manu and tim and you're correct. Tim repeatedly came out and said he's felt the best as he's felt all year during the first round - does that mean 100%? Of course not. But he was 90% or better and his teammates were lacking.

We needed Manu in a big, big way this series to not get punked and well, we got punked.

I guess you have a point. Either way, getting both of them back healthy next year will be huge.

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2009, 01:11 PM
3 years? Duncan has carried us in many series' in the past few years, and he's been the best player for ever run, including 2007..

it's not really up to him though..the NBA is a perimeter league now, the big men are often ignored..

SA210
04-29-2009, 01:25 PM
3 years? Duncan has carried us in many series' in the past few years, and he's been the best player for ever run, including 2007..

it's not really up to him though..the NBA is a perimeter league now, the big men are often ignored..

We need to get back to Spurs basketball, impose OUR will and strengths on other teams. Duncan needs to quit messing around and be the MVP we know he is.

We need a defensive 7footer next to him and we need that Twin Tower Defense back. Fuck what the league has turned into, we need to stay who We are and make them adjust to us.

:flag:

Thomas82
04-29-2009, 01:57 PM
We need to get back to Spurs basketball, impose OUR will and strengths on other teams. Duncan needs to quit messing around and be the MVP we know he is.

We need a defensive 7footer next to him and we need that Twin Tower Defense back. Fuck what the league has turned into, we need to stay who We are and make them adjust to us.

:flag:

Preach SA210 Preach!!!!

Yuixafun
04-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Tim Duncan was a machine in the 4th. He morphed into the Big Fundamental.

When Duncan was on fire I don't know wtf Tony was thinking not going to TD every time.
TP had some good looking stats... but at crucial points in the game, he tried to take over and failed miserably.

Like at the end of the half, Spurs come up with a steal with 7 seconds to go... and the best TP can do is launch a contested 3 pointer with J-Kidd in his face?

The Spurs had come back from a 15 point deficit to cut it to 4, G.Hill was stepping up and Ime with a few huge baskets.. if Tony somehow finds an open player to score the Spurs go into the half trailing only 1 or 2.

TP needs to trust his teammates especially when they have it going instead of forcing his own offense.

And when Timmy is balling like that fuck what ya heard (about how this is TP's team now) and get it to TD.

Thomas82
04-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Tim Duncan was a machine in the 4th. He morphed into the Big Fundamental.When Duncan was on fire I don't know wtf Tony was thinking not going to TD every time.
TP had some good looking stats... but at crucial points in the game, he tried to take over and failed miserably.

Like at the end of the half, Spurs come up with a steal with 7 seconds to go... and the best TP can do is launch a contested 3 pointer with J-Kidd in his face?

The Spurs had come back from a 15 point deficit to cut it to 4, G.Hill was stepping up and Ime with a few huge baskets.. if Tony somehow finds an open player to score the Spurs go into the half trailing only 1 or 2.

TP needs to trust his teammates especially when they have it going instead of forcing his own offense.

And when Timmy is balling like that fuck what ya heard (about how this is TP's team now) and get it to TD.

I miss that Tim Duncan, we need him back next year.

DPG21920
04-29-2009, 03:18 PM
I do not care what Tim was selling, I was not buying. He did not look anywhere close to 100% imo.

What was he supposed to say, "I am in a terrible amount of pain"?

duncan228
04-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Duncan wouldn't say he wasn't 100% at this point of the season. He's a no excuse guy. His body language was pretty obvious last night. He played well, especially at the end, but he was in pain. It was visible to me.

Summers
04-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Did anyone catch Tim Duncan's act against the Mavs yesterday? Where in the hell has that been for the past 3 years?

What are you talking about? He comes alive every post-season.

jackseven
04-29-2009, 04:04 PM
What are you talking about? He comes alive every post-season.

To you and a lot of others, Tim Duncan coming alive is drawing fouls and getting opposing centers in foul trouble while chipping in some put backs. To me coming alive means hitting clean buckets, scoring without any help, and shooting a high percentage.

Last time I remember my version was in 2005.

quentin_compson
04-29-2009, 04:09 PM
To you and a lot of others, Tim Duncan coming alive is drawing fouls and getting opposing centers in foul trouble while chipping in some put backs. To me coming alive means hitting clean buckets, scoring without any help, and shooting a high percentage.

I take it you didn't get the chance to watch the series against the Suns last year?

jackseven
04-29-2009, 04:23 PM
I take it you didn't get the chance to watch the series against the Suns last year?

He did good against the no defense Suns - .495, 24.8 but then he went to .421 and 15.3 against the Hornets and .426 and 22.4 against the Lakers.

Takes more than 5 good games for me.

Yuixafun
04-29-2009, 04:34 PM

I remember one particular game.. against Portland?, when Tim Duncan was responsible for almost every point in the 4th.

He even went coast to coast running a fast break.

But the reason I can recall that game was because I thought to myself, why doesn't Timmy do this more often anymore.

The Motion offense killed Merlin.

Thomas82
04-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Tim Duncan coming alive is drawing fouls and getting opposing centers in foul trouble while chipping in some put backs. To me coming alive means hitting clean buckets, scoring without any help, and shooting a high percentage.

Fabbs
04-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Would have been/would be interesting to see what Dunkan would have done/would do with Pat Riles as coach.

adidas11
04-29-2009, 09:56 PM
One of the toughest things for sports fans to deal with is seeing their star player get on in the years and mileage on their bodies.

The fact remains that Duncan is past his prime (if you use the 'prime' age range for top NBA players being age 28 - 32). Duncan is 33 years old, and will only get older.

Especially for bigger, post players like power forwards and centers.

Yes, Duncan can continue to be an effective player for the next few years. But is not going to be able to regain the MVP form that he had back in 2003.

Players get older. And as they get older, they become less effective. Yes, Duncan can show flashes of his original brilliance, and those flashes become less frequent year after year.

But there is no way that he can regain the consistency of that brilliance, day in and day out during a long NBA season.

pjjrfan
04-29-2009, 10:13 PM
He was playing pretty good back in November w/o Tony and Manu. the team went on a good little run keyed by Duncan's offense and a hustling group of players who defended well, but having guys in and out all year long especially Manu tooke it's toll on Tim. Yeah, he's not the same player he was 5 years ago, but in my book he's still pretty damn good.

Taking it to the Hole
04-29-2009, 11:07 PM
I think our SPURS are going to be hungrier than any other team out there this coming season. I think they realize that their window isn't as big as it once was and they are going to play their asses off every game. Pop needs to get back to basics and let this team do what they do best:DEFENSE No more excuses, just SPURS basketball!