04-29-2009, 03:58 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_michael_finley.jpg

Michael Finley | SG/SF
Born: Mar 6, 1973
Height: 6-7 / 2,01
Weight: 225 lbs. / 102,1 kg.
College: Wisconsin
Years Pro: 13

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/michael_finley/index.html?nav=page)

Spurs Brazil
04-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Very very happy he got his ring but

GTFO

Kori Ellis
04-29-2009, 04:07 PM
I think he will retire.

xtremesteven33
04-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Class act.
Good career.
Great teammate.

Thanks Findog :toast

SenorSpur
04-29-2009, 04:14 PM
I think he will retire.

Doesn't Finley have a player option for next year? If so, do you still think he will retire? If only.....

Spurminator
04-29-2009, 04:24 PM
I would have been fine with him this year if he had had the role that was given to Bowen.

SenorSpur
04-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I doubt the Spurs will extend the qualifying offer.

I'm a bit confused as to how this player option works. So Finley's case, does this mean the extension of a player option is initiated by the team? The decision on whether he comes back is up to the team and not him?

timvp
04-29-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm going to guess Pop will strongly advise him to not pick up his player option. Pop has to realize Finley needs to leave. It was a good final try but the potential negatives of Finley being on the team next year far outweigh the positives.

Good run. Good try. Goodbye.

urunobili
04-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Another year for locker room leadership wouldn't hurt... clutch shooter...

TheProfessor
04-29-2009, 04:31 PM
So long, farewell...

Kori Ellis
04-29-2009, 04:31 PM
I believe it is a qualifying offer on Fin's second year. So the team has to extend the second year in order for Fin to except it.

No, I think it's a player option.

SenorSpur
04-29-2009, 04:32 PM
I believe it is a qualifying offer on Fin's second year. So the team has to extend the second year in order for Fin to except it.

Pop could very well be offering Finley his offseason instructions and giving his expectations of him for next season, as we speak.

God, I hope he wakes up a cuts bait with Finley. It's time to go in another direction.

Mal
04-29-2009, 04:32 PM
He can play well in regular, but is too old for post season games, not same athletism, so GTFO

SenorSpur
04-29-2009, 04:33 PM
No, I think it's a player option.

So does that mean the decision, on whether he comes back, rests with Fin?

jackseven
04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Finley's chance to extend his career was these last 5 games against the Mavericks. The Spurs needed him to step up and be a 14-16 ppg scorer.

The table was set.

- Against his old team
- Nobody else is/was a true scorer
- Tony and Tim were tired and needed help.

He mustered 8 ppg on .441 with 28.6 mpg. Not horrible, but he needed to show a lot more to be worthy of rostering.

timvp
04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
It's been reported since Day 1 as a player option.

baseline bum
04-29-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm going to guess Pop will strongly advise him to not pick up his player option. Pop has to realize Finley needs to leave. It was a good final try but the potential negatives of Finley being on the team next year far outweigh the positives.

Good run. Good try. Goodbye.

Why would you think that? He played more minutes than anyone but Parker and Duncan this playoffs, and is clearly one of Pop's 'big 4'. It just sounds like wishful thinking. :depressed

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
dude earns 2 paychecks and still sucks

shouldve been traded the following year we won the championship in 07

timvp
04-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Why would you think that? He played more minutes than anyone but Parker and Duncan this playoffs, and is clearly one of Pop's 'big 4'. It just sounds like wishful thinking. :depressed
Finley's interview and Pop's interview gave me hope.

But yeah, maybe I'm just fitting the pieces together in my own head and Finley will be back playing 38 minutes again next year. :depressed

baseline bum
04-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Finley's interview and Pop's interview gave me hope.

But yeah, maybe I'm just fitting the pieces together in my own head and Finley will be back playing 38 minutes again next year. :depressed

I didn't see them. I was too down after blowing the season to watch any of that stuff. What did they say?

crc21209
04-29-2009, 04:53 PM
It was fun while it lasted...but Fin has got to go. Class act, great guy, clutch at times..but you got your ring Fin. Thanks.

timvp
04-29-2009, 04:59 PM
I didn't see them. I was too down after blowing the season to watch any of that stuff. What did they say?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124819

It's actually the exit interviews from today. Finley talks like he's no longer part of the team and Pop talks about not looking forward to making the calls to tell veterans they are no longer needed.

But Finley is always careful with his words so perhaps he was just talking like that because he knows he's not officially a member of next year's team yet.

baseline bum
04-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Damn, Fin looked devastated in that interview. I hope he doesn't read this forum.

Mel_13
04-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Hoopshype says that Fin has a qualifying offer however I am not so sure how often they update said salaries.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

They just coded it with wrong color. Qualifying offers only apply to 1st round picks in the last year of their rookie contracts and vets with less than three years in the NBA. Finley has a player option. He can choose to be a Spur, retire, or become a FA.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q36

Creation88
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
don't let the door hit you on the ass.

xtremesteven33
04-29-2009, 05:28 PM
don't let the door hit you on the ass.

Asshole.

Rynospursfan
04-29-2009, 05:43 PM
I think he is well worth the $2.5 million in NBA terms. I would lilke to see his role reduced but, I hope he picks up that option.

Marcus Bryant
04-29-2009, 05:48 PM
I think in a reduced role he could be useful. The problem is, I don't see Pop having the patience to reduce his role and let some younger swingmen learn on the job. In addition, Pop went with him over Bowen. I wonder if there is a way to quantify the value of Bowen to the Spurs (especially in terms of wins) versus that of Finley. It does seem odd questioning Pop on the value of Bowen against another player (memories of 'discussions' with Ghost Writer and other Bowen haters about his value to the team come to mind).

Mel_13
04-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Going forward, the Spurs will be better off if Finley decides to retire or play elsewhere. That being said, I appreciate the class, professionalism, and work ethic that Michael Finley exemplified.

I think Pop's affinity for Finley can be summed up in the numbers 322 out of 328. As in games played. After missing a handful of games early in his first season with the Spurs, Finley missed only 1 game in his last three years (the Denver game when Pop rested the starters). Over the course of 4 seasons when TD, TP, Manu, Fabb, Horry, Barry, Beno, Bonner, and Ian all were out for extended periods, Finley (and Bruce) always answered the bell. There is value in that, too.

duncan228
04-29-2009, 05:51 PM
What made print after today's exit interviews.

Michael Finley said he hadn't yet decided whether to opt into the final year of his contract with the Spurs. Finley is due $2.5 million, at his option.

"I haven't really thought about next year, to be quite honest," Finley said. "I'm going to sit back with my family now, enjoy this extended period of time off, and when the time comes that I have to make a decision about my future, that's when I'll make it."

That $2.5 million is free money to Finley, and he isn't likely to attract a better deal elsewhere. If Finley does return for a 15th season, it will probably be in a Spurs uniform.

Rynospursfan
04-29-2009, 06:06 PM
What the hell is free money anyways? His contract with Dallas is over, isn't it?

Mel_13
04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
What the hell is free money anyways? His contract with Dallas is over, isn't it?

Just another example of McDonald's atrocious writing

Ditty
04-29-2009, 06:56 PM
i can see him going back to dallas

hope he retires though

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Do us all a favor and go somewhere else, please... (Finley).

If he opted out and came back for the vet min, I still wouldn't want him here. Pop would go braindead and play him again the first time someone younger F'ed up...

pad300
04-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Him retiring would be a huge benefit to our cap situation... Hell, offer him a assistant coach position at 2.5 million for one year if he retires, so he doesn't lose out. It would get him off our cap and free his roster spot; which I suspect would save Holt money in the long run!

Borosai
04-29-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't dislike Finley. I just dislike him in a Spurs uniform. It's time to move on.

benefactor
04-29-2009, 09:54 PM
After watching every worry that was voiced on this board when he was re-signed about him getting way too many minutes materialize, it is definitely time to say good-bye. He is just far too much of a temptation for Pop. You don't hold AA meetings in a bar.

E20
04-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Spot minutes off the bench. Older mentor type of player, we can't rely on him playing minutes like he did last season.

loveforthegame
04-29-2009, 10:58 PM
I'd love to have him back as an end of bench guy and mentor to the younger guys that hopefully will come in.

I don't think the temptation would be too great for Pop to start and play him 30+ minutes after watching his interview.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Him retiring would be a huge benefit to our cap situation... Hell, offer him a assistant coach position at 2.5 million for one year if he retires, so he doesn't lose out. It would get him off our cap and free his roster spot; which I suspect would save Holt money in the long run!

Finley's made something crazy like 130 million playing basketball. And he got a ring. He shouldn't get another dime from the Spurs.

NewJerSpur
04-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Time to go Findog. Thanks for your contributions in 2007 and stepping up your game a bit when we were lame early this season. Peace out. The real question is whether to bring Ime back.

DAF86
04-29-2009, 11:52 PM
If he comes back he should be the 12th man of the roster.

pad300
04-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Finley's made something crazy like 130 million playing basketball. And he got a ring. He shouldn't get another dime from the Spurs.

Would you rather he collected that 2.5 million while occupying a roster spot and salary cap space (+ additional lux tax payments), or would you rather see him collect it as an "assistant coach"?

I have seen speculation that suggest the lux tax limit could be as low as 69.4 million next year,
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=886483

Our projected salary, http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp, is currently $70,309,916, if Finley takes up his option. BTW this includes no summer signings (ie not using the MLE, etc...). Finley not being on the player side of the payroll could easily be $7,000,000 to the franchise - 2,000,000 in tax paid, and $5,000,000 in disbursement missed...

SequSpur
04-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Finley was okay, without him the Spurs would've been in the fuking lottery.

lurker23
04-30-2009, 03:36 AM
Quoting myself from another thread:

For the sake of argument, let's list only the fully guaranteed contracts for next year:

Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili
Finley (player option, likely picked up)
Duncan/Mahinmi
Bonner/Thomas

Question is, if Finley chooses to retire, does the 3 slot become the #1 priority for the offseason? Otherwise, we're trying to fill the 2/3 position with some combination of Hill, Mason, and Ginobili, with some possible help from Bowen, Hairston, Marcus Williams, and James Gist.

kobyz
04-30-2009, 03:58 AM
he still a lot beter than Mason

lurker23
04-30-2009, 04:24 AM
Question on Finley's contract: this past season, he had what was effectively a no-trade clause because he had Bird Rights and was on a one-year contract. If he picks up this option, does he still have those veto rights, or do they go away under some technicality similar to "he is now on a two-year contract." ?

objective
04-30-2009, 05:15 AM
I will be very happy if Finley is off the roster at the opening of training camp.

If he's on it, the front office failed.

mattyc
04-30-2009, 05:18 AM
Spot minutes off the bench. Older mentor type of player, we can't rely on him playing minutes like he did last season.
Agreed. He's not ideal but I don't know if there is alot out there that is much better. 10-20 minutes a game with a range of DNP-CD's would be fine.

Fabbs
04-30-2009, 07:33 AM
After watching every worry that was voiced on this board when he was re-signed about him getting way too many minutes materialize, it is definitely time to say good-bye. He is just far too much of a temptation for Pop. You don't hold AA meetings in a bar.
Nice.

loveforthegame
04-30-2009, 10:10 AM
When does Finley have to make his choice? I remember the year before he told the FO his decision before the draft.

The Franchise
04-30-2009, 11:31 AM
It's time to put Finley out to pasture. What he now provides you can get from a younger player for less money. If you're going to take advantage of Timmy in his final few productive years he needs talent upgrades.

Thomas82
05-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I think he will retire.

He needs to.

Libri
05-08-2009, 12:38 AM
When does Finley have to make his choice? I remember the year before he told the FO his decision before the draft.

He has until July 1st to decide.

Yuushi12
05-08-2009, 12:38 AM
He needs to.

+1:toast

spursbird
05-08-2009, 05:13 AM
Maybe if he declared to retire, Houston would try to sign him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Thanks for 2007, leadership, (some) clutch shooting, playing your guts out, and being an all-round good guy, Fin, but please don't pick up that option - retire in grace with your ring and a very accomplished career. :toast

The reason I don't want Finley around next year is that he's the sort of veteran crutch Pop likes to rely on, which means that he'll get minutes that MUST go to developing some youngsters. It's time to take a few hits on the scoreboard for the sake of the future, not to go safe with tapped-out veterans who will take us nowhere in the playoffs. The NBA is now a super-athlete's league, especially at the small positions, and Finley is no longer athlete enough to keep up.

Bring him back as a coaching assistant if you like (actually, he'd be wonderful at that I think), but please, no playing uniform! :lol

lefty
05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Thank you Michael Finley :tu

Now, please ...

....http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/adotleezy/arigold.gif?t=1241795449

http://holycrapthatsfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/gtfo.jpg

pad300
05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
He has until July 1st to decide.

Bump

Any further follow up about Michael's decision yet?

Mel_13
05-20-2009, 09:35 AM
FWIW, when Finley had the same decision to make in 2007, he waited until June 26th.

loveforthegame
05-20-2009, 11:32 AM
I can't remember if it was RC or Pop that said Finley let them know his decision a few days before the draft back in 2007. So I assume he would do so again in case it affects how they draft this time around.

Brazil
05-20-2009, 09:45 PM
sorry geek operation

robot89
05-20-2009, 11:05 PM
....http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/adotleezy/arigold.gif?t=1241795449

were is that from lmfao!!!!:lmao

05-21-2009, 01:42 AM
in retrospect, popovich played finley because he had no other option. bowen, in reality, had no offense other than catch and shoot, ginobili was injured, mason ended up playing point and udoka wasn't really an option either since both his off the dribble and catch and shoot skills reverted horribly. can't really blame popovich for failing to engineer a successful wing rotation of finley, udoka, bowen, and mason. it's just not doable. this definitely means popovich recognizes the necessity of picking up a good wing player in the offseason. hopefully one that plays solid defense as well.

Ditty
05-21-2009, 02:25 AM
i had a bad dream that finley was still on the spurs

i was happy when i woke up :)

spursbird
05-21-2009, 06:28 AM
But I was thinking about a question: If he retired, who would be our start SF? Udoka?

loveforthegame
05-21-2009, 11:21 AM
But I was thinking about a question: If he retired, who would be our start SF? Udoka?

I'm guessing Udoka's gone no matter what Finley decides. It's my thinking that Finley will stay and take Udoka's spot minutes/seat on the bench role this year while someone new (draft/free agent) takes the starting role.

SenorSpur
05-24-2009, 07:46 AM
They both need to go as the Spurs desparately need to overhaul the entire SF position. It's been their biggest achilles heel the past several seasons and it needs to be revamped with fresh blood immediately.

tomtom
05-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Looking back I sorta wish the Spurs had the money to keep him around while still getting some new guys. I was as much as anyone tired of seeing the old man back but he had some clutch shots and some nice games throughout the season. If only Pop would just use him limitedly he could still help, he's still a superb catch and shoot guy.

Gino2882
05-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Looking back I sorta wish the Spurs had the money to keep him around while still getting some new guys. I was as much as anyone tired of seeing the old man back but he had some clutch shots and some nice games throughout the season. If only Pop would just use him limitedly he could still help, he's still a superb catch and shoot guy.

They do have the money to bring him back. It is Finley who has the player option at a pretty reasonable price (i believe 2.5million). The money isn't the issue with Finley. He is gonna be 36, has little defensive ability, and has mind numbing games where he scores 4 points and does NOTHING else.

It would be best to move on if possible.

exstatic
05-24-2009, 03:12 PM

tomtom - Finley is Pop's crack rocks. If he's here, Pop WILL play his broken down ass for at least 25-30 minutes.

Michael Finley - Thanks for your professionalism and some clutch shots. Now, do Pop and all of us a favor and walk off into the sunset with your championship ring. You were a high draft pick, so you never had to break into the league, but the Spurs will not have a pick like that for a long time, and you need to step aside and let some youngster get a roster spot.

Biggems
05-24-2009, 04:11 PM
i appreciate Finley's contributions over the past few years. However, he does need to either retire or move on.

we need guys who are more consistent along the perimeter, but even moreso, we need guys who are better perimeter defenders. Finley plays defense the way Rodman played offense. Actually, Rodman was better offensively than Finley is defensively.

I want to re-sign Hairston, maybe bring over Sanikidze, and draft a wing player.

Strike
05-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Finley needs to go.

I appreciate what he did for the Spurs in 06 and 07. But he's hung around too long. He's a defensive liability, too old and too streaky. Retire with your ring and enjoy your life.

loveforthegame
05-24-2009, 10:40 PM
His defense wouldn't be so bad now if it was against someone in the 2nd unit and for limited minutes off the bench. But he'll get abused every time against guys like James, Durant, Howard for 30+ minutes.

Someone will be back between Finley, Bowen, and Udoka. Finley seems the likely choice since Bowen has been mentioned in lots of trade talks with his partially guaranteed contract. I don't see the Spurs wasting money on Udoka when they need some new blood.

Bruno
05-25-2009, 01:17 AM
If Spurs trade Mason and need a shooter, I wouldn't be against Finley being back. In all the other cases, I hope he won't be a Spur next year.

HarlemHeat37
05-25-2009, 02:56 AM
I don't want him back in any way..

Like others have said, if he's on the roster, Pop will play him way too much..There's no reason to think that Pop will fall out of love, it just doesn't happen like that, he still seems to be fully into the relationship...

JustinJDW
05-25-2009, 03:11 AM
I hope he doesn't come back next year either. We need to make room for our younger guys, like Marcus Williams.

SenorSpur
05-25-2009, 10:31 AM
I hope he doesn't come back next year either. We need to make room for our younger guys, like Marcus Williams.

:tu

No way Finley should be back on the roster.

loveforthegame
05-25-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't see the Spurs reloading nearly the entire sg/sf positions. If all those rumors had some substance last season then they're willing to trade both Bowen and Mason in the right deal. I'm guessing they'll try to revisit that again during the draft if it's true they want a 1st round pick.

I'll be surprised if we don't have some sg/sf veteran on the end of the bench this season.

lurker23
06-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Bump. Hopefully we'll hear about Finley's decision soon. Spurs have to be putting a little pressure on him to decide before the draft.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Damn, Fin looked devastated in that interview. I hope he doesn't read this forum.

:lol

bigdog
06-18-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm one of the biggest Finley supporters on this planet, I really am, but it's time for him to go. I expect an announcement regarding his status for next year, sometime next week before the draft, and I hope he decides to retire. He had a nice run with the Spurs, but it's just that time.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-18-2009, 10:10 AM
The Cavs could use a player like Michael Finley, who won a championship with the Spurs in 2007 and holds a player option for next season. He wouldn’t even need to play much for the Cavs, although he can still knock down the 3. But if the classy Finley can talk some sense into LeBron and keep him from running from his responsibilities after a tough series loss, then the roster spot is worth it.
http://www.star-telegram.com/807/story/1440131.html

lurker23
06-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Call me crazy, but part of me hopes Finley picks up his option. Say what you want about him, but for $2.5 million, you're not likely to get similar production offensively from another player. Granted, we all wish Pop would play him 20 mpg instead of 30 mpg, but that is what it is.

Worst case, I think his contract becomes a pretty decent trade chip; expiring contract of a vet who can actually still play a bit, the Spurs should have no problem trading that away if they want to. In fact, if teams want something with a little more actual value than the Oberto/Bowen contracts, perhaps the Spurs can get away with giving them Finley rather than Mason or Hill.

loveforthegame
06-18-2009, 11:29 AM
The Spurs need to be looking at SF options despite what Finley decides and when he makes his decision. Putting pressure on him could backfire if he feels they're doing so just to use him in a draft day trade.

It's more likely that he picks his option up and they use that chip for the trade deadline in February if need be.

lurker23
06-18-2009, 11:32 AM
The Spurs need to be looking at SF options despite what Finley decides and when he makes his decision. Putting pressure on him could backfire if he feels they're doing so just to use him in a draft day trade.

It's more likely that he picks his option up and they use that chip for the trade deadline in February if need be.

Yeah, putting any kind of real pressure on him isn't really the Spurs way, but I'm sure Finley realizes that the Spurs need to know for draft day whether 2/3 should become a bigger priority.

Ocotillo
06-18-2009, 12:18 PM
If he is not going to exercise his option, then he may be a draft day chip in a trade.

lurker23
06-18-2009, 12:37 PM
If he is not going to exercise his option, then he may be a draft day chip in a trade.

Perhaps someone with better knowledge of the CBA can give us some info on this, but I don't think he can be traded by the Spurs UNTIL he picks up his option. Otherwise, it would be the equivalent of trading a free agent. However, I could be wrong on this point.

benefactor
06-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Worst case, I think his contract becomes a pretty decent trade chip; expiring contract of a vet who can actually still play a bit, the Spurs should have no problem trading that away if they want to. In fact, if teams want something with a little more actual value than the Oberto/Bowen contracts, perhaps the Spurs can get away with giving them Finley rather than Mason or Hill.
I think this would be pretty influential in regards to his decision to come back. He has to know that if he picks up his option his contract becomes extremely valuable in any trade scenario. As you said, he is not your typical expiring deal. He could actually give a little depth to a team looking for a veteran 2/3.

The Truth #6
06-18-2009, 06:13 PM

Perhaps its free money because Finley offers very few recognizable contributions to the team, as in, he shows up to work but doesn't get much done.

Love you Finley, but please retire with grace. You have a ring, Cuban's millions, I'd say it was a good ride.

Steve-O-Matic
06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Perhaps someone with better knowledge of the CBA can give us some info on this, but I don't think he can be traded by the Spurs UNTIL he picks up his option. Otherwise, it would be the equivalent of trading a free agent. However, I could be wrong on this point.

You are correct. A player or team option has to be exercised first before the player can be traded.