04-29-2009, 04:05 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_george_hill.jpg

George Hill | PG
Born: May 4, 1986
Height: 6-2 / 1,88
Weight: 180 lbs. / 81,6 kg.
College: IUPUI
Years Pro: R

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/george_hill/index.html?nav=page)

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2009, 04:30 PM
I might be in a significant minority here, but with the extra time that this early elimination brings, I'd like to see George Hill sent to the summer league again with instructions to play the point and not shoot the basketball at all. Just run the offense and try to make plays for teammates. Then, when he returns, send him for total immersion training with Chip Englland (if the Spurs can retain him).

We know George will compete and it certainly seems that he's relatively unaffected by big spots or high profile opponents. I think he can defend, too (though he did get lost in the wash a few times in Game 5, leaving Terry open for a couple of big 3's late). If he can develop a semblance of an offensive game, he could be a valuable reserve in 2009-10.

timvp
04-29-2009, 04:34 PM
It will be extremely interesting to see what Pop has in mind. Backup point guard makes sense ... but it's also a somewhat limited role on the Spurs. If Pop really likes Hill, maybe he uses him as the starting shooting guard and backup point guard. On the other hand, if Pop isn't sold on Hill either as a point guard or a future star, Hill could very well play some sort of utility swingman role in which he plays spot minutes depending on matchups.

I hope he works hard on his game, starts upping his aggression offensively and comes out next year ready to blossom.

tp2021
04-29-2009, 04:46 PM
I hope he isn't packaged in any potential trades.

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2009, 04:49 PM
is there a good chance he grow another 2-3 inches to his height??? or is that it?

this is what i dont like, if we trade him, we are going to use the draft to look for another backup pg...fuck that shit, if pop and co cant trusts the draft for a good backup pg, might as well go out and sign a veteran pg or someshit

duncan228
04-29-2009, 05:48 PM
I like the kid. He showed some backbone handling himself this year, and he has a game. I'd love to watch him grow as a Spur.

crc21209
04-29-2009, 05:59 PM
One of the big bright spots of this team this year. His jumper seemed to have improved toward the end of the year and he should be a quality guy in next year's rotation.

EricB
04-29-2009, 08:35 PM
I might be in a significant minority here, but with the extra time that this early elimination brings, I'd like to see George Hill sent to the summer league again with instructions to play the point and not shoot the basketball at all. Just run the offense and try to make plays for teammates. Then, when he returns, send him for total immersion training with Chip Englland (if the Spurs can retain him).

We know George will compete and it certainly seems that he's relatively unaffected by big spots or high profile opponents. I think he can defend, too (though he did get lost in the wash a few times in Game 5, leaving Terry open for a couple of big 3's late). If he can develop a semblance of an offensive game, he could be a valuable reserve in 2009-10.

+1 This

Awesome post and I agree 1000%.

SenorSpur
04-29-2009, 08:45 PM

Agree. I believe Pop should scrap the notion that Hill CANNOT play the backup PG position. Develop those skills in the SL is a splendid idea.

tomtom
04-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Next season should be very interesting for Hill considering Vaughn should not be back

E20
04-29-2009, 10:50 PM
He's a keeper. He's young, long, athletic, and confident.

He impressed everybody in PO's. From the Coaching staff to the fans.

Strike
04-29-2009, 10:53 PM

I like those ideas.

NewJerSpur
04-29-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm probably in the extreme minority that wants his primary focus to be back at the 2-guard position. He definitely still has a scorer's instinct (especially when he slashes to the basket) and seemed to be pretty comfortable playing off the ball when playing with the Big 3. I think his floor could be a more offensively equipped Bruce Bowen and his ceiling a more defensive-minded Jason Terry, epsecially if he works on his jumper so he can pull up and take/make it and not just spot up. Court vision will have to improve if he does get some time at point so that his game can counter Tony's (like Manu) in that he is just as likely a threat to hit a wide open teammate with his penetration as he is to lay it up.

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2009, 12:35 AM
why cant hill be lite derrick rose......

NewJerSpur
04-30-2009, 12:38 AM

Do you mean Derrick Rose "Lite" or "like Derrick Rose"?

EricB
04-30-2009, 12:42 AM

Because Derrick Rose is a better player?

NewJerSpur
04-30-2009, 12:47 AM
Because Derrick Rose is a better player?

Hill is better defensively. I think Rose is naturally more polished at reading defenses regarding knowing when to pass and when to shoot.

EricB
04-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Hill is better defensively. I think Rose is naturally more polished at reading defenses regarding knowing when to pass and when to shoot.

They are just two different position players.

Hill is a SG

Rose is a PG.

That simple.

NewJerSpur
04-30-2009, 12:51 AM
They are just two different position players.

Hill is a SG

Rose is a PG.

That simple.

Has nothing to do with their defensive abilities, but as far as why I said what I said earlier about "natural tendencies" that would fit the bill.

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2009, 01:04 AM
how about ben gordon lite? :D

he should work on his jumper and driving to the lane....

ps. most of our rookies are fkn tweeners, mahinmi, gists, sanikidz, hill = 200 pounds

NewJerSpur
04-30-2009, 01:12 AM
how about ben gordon lite? :D

he should work on his jumper and driving to the lane....

ps. most of our rookies are fkn tweeners, mahinmi, gists, sanikidz, hill = 200 pounds

Wouldn't mind that. :lol

When he gets accustomed to making pull-up jumpers he's going to be that much more effective and have even more opportunities to drive to the basket because the defense will have to respect his shot.

mattyc
04-30-2009, 06:30 AM
I agree on the summer league thing. Let him play there and be a real leader. Didn't do Parker any harm. Only averaged 16.5 minutes this year. Next year I want to see that up to 20-25.

Kid can ball.

GioSugar
05-01-2009, 01:37 PM
He needs to play back up point from the get-go next season. I don't mind him playing the off guard with Tony, but when TP is not on the court Hill needs to be our back up.

I have to agree with you. Hill could be helpful as a backup pg and off guard with Tony. Nice said.

lefty
05-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Hill Billy !!!!!!

MagnusKrauss
05-02-2009, 05:44 AM

I agree. Maybe we could also have him live with Pop for the summer?

Obstructed_View
05-28-2009, 11:11 PM
I talked to my source about him recently and he told me that George is going to work his ass off this summer. He'll spend a few weeks going up against Tony, learning new things etc. and then once Tony goes over to Paris George will go work with Mike Bibby at some camp for point guards.

I hope he shows amazing improvement in shooting, scoring and playmaking ability. Out of those three I'd say that his play making ability was the most lacking part of his game. Sure George hardly turned the ball over, but he never took chances to create for his team mates.

In addition, George didn't do a good enough job of taking scoring upon himself. He was a bona-fide scorer in college, and he seems to be spending too much time deferring to his teammates. While admirable, it's not always the right choice, and I hope much of that was due to his being a rookie and trying to make a good impression on the team.

sam1617
05-29-2009, 11:47 AM
There are 13 minutes a game at backup PG, and Hill should get them all. He should also pick up another 5 or 6 minutes playing SG alongside Tony. If Pop can keep Hill in 18-20 minutes a game, I think by the end of the season he will have turned into a solid NBA backup.

SenorSpur
05-29-2009, 12:32 PM
I talked to my source about him recently and he told me that George is going to work his ass off this summer. He'll spend a few weeks going up against Tony, learning new things etc. and then once Tony goes over to Paris George will go work with Mike Bibby at some camp for point guards.

I hope he shows amazing improvement in shooting, scoring and playmaking ability. Out of those three I'd say that his play making ability was the most lacking part of his game. Sure George hardly turned the ball over, but he never took chances to create for his team mates.

Hey, Georgie was the one that threw that impressive "alley oop" to Pops Mensa Bonsu. :lol

Stump
05-29-2009, 02:02 PM
George Hill is a pimp. I really hope this guy succeeds, and not just because he's a Spur.

jag
05-29-2009, 05:08 PM

Mike Bibby?

robert1886
05-29-2009, 05:17 PM
I hope they dont trade hill away this guy is bball player plain and simple!.....and for his position situation i got to agree with most of you guys....he can be a combo guard like kirk hinrich....he would only have to play pointguard for about 15 minutes a game and then just let him loose when he is at sg

Blackjack
05-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Mike Bibby?

Yeah I don't know why him. Bibby is a good shooter, perhaps it is a shooting camp.

Bibby's actually the guy Tony basicaly used as his blueprint for improving his shot.

Seems to have worked for Tony, hopefully George has the same success.

HarlemHeat37
05-29-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm not a fan of Bibby, but he would be a guy Pop would like..he plays the style that would be successful on our team, so it would be good for Hill to learn from a guy like him..Hill is much more physically gifted though, so hopefully he learns how to use his athleticism on the offensive end..

Obstructed_View
05-30-2009, 01:22 AM
If Hill can become half the point guard that Bibby is I'll consider him an overwhelming success.

xtremesteven33
05-30-2009, 06:39 AM
If Hill can become half the point guard that Bibby is I'll consider him an overwhelming success.

You must think the world of Bibby then....

Chieflion
05-30-2009, 07:49 AM
Half of Bibby's prime is already awesome. However, it is not that fair to compare Hill with Bibby considering their different styles.

NewJerSpur
05-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Isn't Bibby more of a scoring PG or rather a very undersized SG? As long as they have a backup plan for the [Hill] backup plan than it couldn't hurt to have him attempt to expand his game. I still would like to see him primarily start and get minutes at SG with maybe even a Marcus Williams running Point-forward if he's ready and focus more on scoring and defense, but it'll be up to the coaching staff to decide what's best for Hill and the team. Either way, he's going to get steadier minutes.

EricB
05-31-2009, 12:26 AM

In Mike Bibby's prime in Sacramento he was argueably a top 6 point guard.

His scoring and passing ability were awesome on those Sacramento teams.

Libri
06-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Some of these rumors and news about the Spurs looking into point guards leads me to believe that the Spurs are still looking for a backup point guard and that Hill will spend a lot of time playing defense at the 2 spot. Do you all think that Pop likes Hill better at the SG position?

DPG21920
06-16-2009, 03:25 PM
I think Pop likes Hill at both spots depending on what the need is. I just feel that Hill is going to be traded.

ffadicted
06-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Hill needs to be more like courtney lee in the way he approaches the game

loveforthegame
06-16-2009, 04:41 PM
I have a bad feeling Hill will be included in a small trade hence the looks at all these point guards.

I'd love to be wrong.

angelbelow
06-16-2009, 08:17 PM
go hill! keep up the good work.

SenorSpur
06-16-2009, 08:32 PM
I have a bad feeling Hill will be included in a small trade hence the looks at all these point guards.

I'd love to be wrong.

I hope you are too. I still can't believe the Spurs almost gave him up in the failed Marcus Camby trade. Talk about a possible step backwards. :bang

loveforthegame
06-16-2009, 10:02 PM
I hope you are too. I still can't believe the Spurs almost gave him up in the failed Marcus Camby trade. Talk about a possible step backwards. :bang

I'm hoping it means Mason is on the way out but Hill would make more sense if the Spurs really are trying to get into the first round.

mountainballer
06-17-2009, 04:07 AM
Spurs don't have many trade options. the not fully guaranteed contracts of Fab and Bruce are somehow attractive for some teams, but we must not ignore that many other teams also can offer such contracts and quite a few are better in terms of salary dump potential.
so the Spurs will need to add something to get a quality player. and Hill is such an asset, even if the other teams won't exactly piss their pants when they hear his name. Mason is the other one.
so yes, I also think there is a good chance that Hill is part of a trade package this year. it's not to get rid of him, it will be to bring in someone who makes the team significantly better.

Sdayi135
06-21-2009, 01:24 AM
Spurs don't have many trade options. the not fully guaranteed contracts of Fab and Bruce are somehow attractive for some teams, but we must not ignore that many other teams also can offer such contracts and quite a few are better in terms of salary dump potential.
so the Spurs will need to add something to get a quality player. and Hill is such an asset, even if the other teams won't exactly piss their pants when they hear his name. Mason is the other one.
so yes, I also think there is a good chance that Hill is part of a trade package this year. it's not to get rid of him, it will be to bring in someone who makes the team significantly better.

If they do include him (I hope not), then the player they get back better be darn good.

I wouldn't trade Hill just to get into the first round unless there's a potential steal.

Everything said, I'd still be surprised if Hill isn't wearing silver and black next year.