Marcus Bryant
04-29-2009, 04:08 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_ian_mahinmi.jpg

Ian Mahinmi | PF/C
Born: Nov 5, 1986
Height: 6-11 / 2,11
Weight: 230 lbs. / 104,3 kg.
Years Pro: 1

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ian_mahinmi/index.html?nav=page)

tp2021
04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
I expect a lot from this guy next year.

timvp
04-29-2009, 05:13 PM
http://spurstalk.com/the-savior.jpg

One of the forgotten subplots of this season is that Mahinmi was taken out of the equation. Pop said he planned to play him 40+ minutes per game during the preseason. If he would have played well, he may have started at center.

How highly the Spurs rate Mahinmi makes a big difference on the summer plans. If they see him as a rotation big, that makes it a lot easier to go after a swingman via trade or free agency. If they see him as a question mark, then they will proceed like normal. If they see him as a wasted roster spot, they may try to salary dump him.

Hopefully Mahinmi plays in summer league and gives a better effort than we saw last year.

04-29-2009, 05:27 PM
when he played in summer league, it felt like he was elson 2.0, not very promising. but unlike elson, he's still young and has room to improve. all the spurs need from him is limited offense, rebounding and shotblocking, which shouldn't be too hard considering his size and athleticism.

Rynospursfan
04-29-2009, 05:36 PM
He can't play in the D league anymore if he is under contract, correct?

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2009, 05:40 PM
if this guy fails in the summer, or get another stupid injury.....should just give up on him and look for someone else.....

sonic21
04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Hopefully Mahinmi plays in summer league and gives a better effort than we saw last year.

or maybe he'll play with the french NT :stirpot:

Marcus Bryant
04-29-2009, 06:01 PM
A Mahinmi who can contribute next season certainly would enhance the Spurs' bigman rotation. He definitely would improve the frontcourt's athleticism. I haven't looked at what his D-League stats project to in the NBA. He certainly fits the mold of the bigman you would want in the rotation, running with TP on breaks and finishing/cleaning up the glass. We'll soon find out if Presti's legacy includes another French masterpiece.

Bruno
04-29-2009, 06:04 PM
or maybe he'll play with the french NT :stirpot:

I doubt he will be chosen to play with the NT.

Spooky
04-29-2009, 06:34 PM
He is a potential starter to me. If he can stay injury free this year. Ian has had plenty of time learning our system so in that aspect he should be fine.

Manufan909
04-29-2009, 06:52 PM
I hope he goes off in preseason. What month does that start, anyways?

Ditty
04-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I hope he goes off in preseason. What month does that start, anyways?

october

hope hes at least a poor mans KG :lol

tav1
04-29-2009, 06:58 PM
fwiw David Thorpe is keen on Mahinmi. Thinks he's got the goods to be stick.

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2009, 08:10 PM
we desperately need Mahinmi to stay healthy and contribute..

cheap contract, and it would allow us to take a chance on Rasheed..we need a young, athletic, energetic big man to off-set the age of Duncan and potentially a guy like 'Sheed, so Ian needs to be that guy..

J_Paco
04-29-2009, 08:24 PM
If he can just give us the sort of impact that Samuel Dalembert (best-case scenario) provides Philadelphia or Chris Andersen (worst-case scenario) gives Denver that would be enough. With Splitter possibly coming over in the summer of '10, Oberto's likely departure or retirement and the pursuit of Rasheed Wallace imminent, this could likely be Ian's last chance as a Spur.

Manufan909
04-29-2009, 09:00 PM
If the Byrdman is the worst case scenario, I'm stoked.

J_Paco
04-29-2009, 09:05 PM
If the Byrdman is the worst case scenario, I'm stoked.

That's what I'm hoping that we get from Ian, but someone like ChumpDumper could give us an indication if he's got the skillset to provide that sort of impact.

tomtom
04-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Man I seroiusly hope this dude can at least have a chance to show his stuff next season

timvp
04-29-2009, 10:29 PM
No, Ian Mahinmi's worse case scenario is a worse version of Francisco Elson. Even best case scenario, he's nothing like Birdman. Birdman has been a great shot blocker this year. Mahinmi hasn't been a good shootblocker on any level.

As Mahinmi has evolved as a basketball player, he's become more of an offensive player. The best comparison I can use is Nazr plus athleticism and minus bulk and strength. He was raw before his injury and now after he'll basically have a year off of basketball, I expect him to be pretty damn raw when we see him in summer league.

Decent prospect but far away from being a classified as a sure-fire NBA player. Pops Mensah-Bonsu put up better stats in Mahinmi's role with the Toros ... and Pops himself probably isn't an NBA player.

If Mahinmi makes it, it will likely be due to improved offensive skill and his athleticism on defense making up for his lack of strength.

EricB
04-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Wtf, why have the Spurs been wasting so long on this french filet mignion then?

Eh?

Manufan909
04-30-2009, 01:32 AM

Idk, maybe timvp is just lowering our hopes, idk. What he said sounds really sensible though.:(:depressed:(

lurker23
04-30-2009, 01:38 AM
Anyone know when the Spurs have to commit to whether they pick up his 2010/11 option? If the Spurs are still high on him, I'm all for picking up his relatively cheap option. If he's going to be a bench warmer, I'd rather have the extra $2 million to play with in the summer of 2010.

ezau
04-30-2009, 01:48 AM
The Greg Oden of San Antonio. At least Oden plays lol

NewJerSpur
04-30-2009, 02:51 AM
So based on what I'm reading Ian won't be taking up the role of "Tim's Heir Apparent" anytime soon....downer. As much as we talk about the wing positions, it's a wonder we've gotten as far as we have with some much weight being on Duncan along the frontcourt. He has been loooong overdue to get some serious help.

spursbird
04-30-2009, 03:24 AM
No, Ian Mahinmi's worse case scenario is a worse version of Francisco Elson. Even best case scenario, he's nothing like Birdman. Birdman has been a great shot blocker this year. Mahinmi hasn't been a good shootblocker on any level.

As Mahinmi has evolved as a basketball player, he's become more of an offensive player. The best comparison I can use is Nazr plus athleticism and minus bulk and strength. He was raw before his injury and now after he'll basically have a year off of basketball, I expect him to be pretty damn raw when we see him in summer league.

Decent prospect but far away from being a classified as a sure-fire NBA player. Pops Mensah-Bonsu put up better stats in Mahinmi's role with the Toros ... and Pops himself probably isn't an NBA player.

If Mahinmi makes it, it will likely be due to improved offensive skill and his athleticism on defense making up for his lack of strength.
But I remembered that his stat on defense(rebounds and blocks) looked very good in d-league.

timvp
04-30-2009, 04:47 AM

It's just a regular first round draft pick contract. Tons of worse prospects have lasted longer. We'll see this year if he's a keeper or a dud.

timvp
04-30-2009, 04:49 AM
But I remembered that his stat on defense(rebounds and blocks) looked very good in d-league.

8.2 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in 30.2 minutes per game.

Decent but far from "very good".

objective
04-30-2009, 05:13 AM
His d-league stats were very up and down, he'd have monster stat games one night and then drop something like 11 and 5 the next.

I've had the suspicion for awhile that he won't be around for training camp, he'll be traded or released. I guess I'm at 50/50.

I hope the do keep him and play him as much as possible. If he works out great, if not, they can lose in 5 games in the first round by an average of 13 ppg.

poop
04-30-2009, 01:50 PM
as long as he can rebound and defend the paint ill be happy.

DPG21920
04-30-2009, 02:06 PM
I feel like a lot of people have lofty expectations of Ian and that he will not be able to meet them.

MarCowMar
04-30-2009, 02:29 PM
I thought the reason his dleague blocks weren't so great is because the Spurs were encouraging him to stay on the ground and not foul?

objective
04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
The biggest reason I'm optomistic on Mahinmi and hopefull the Spurs keep him around and forcefeed him big minutes is thus:

In his Spurs career with the Spurs, the Toros, and the summer league teams, at no point did he not play pretty much as the top banana. He never logged any minutes with Tim, Tony or Manu (except I believe 1 minute in the first half in an early game in 08 where he was a foul machine).

With the Toros he was the go to guy, both ways. Same on the summer league.

If he gets a chance to play with Tim, Tony and Manu, things will get much easier for him and he'll at least look much better. Good players have been carrying scrubs and making them look better than they are throughout history. Look at this year, Matt Bonner starting? What?

Look at Francisco Elson. A third string scrub with Denver plays marginally okay when on the court with guys like Carmelo and Andre Miller et al . . . Spurs sign him, and he's able to be a part-time starter when carried by the Spurs stars. Even though he's basically a scrub. And has gone on to scrub it up with the Bucks who due to injury didn't have anyone to carry him, so he looks worse.

On the court with TD, Manu and Parker, maybe with Bowen also, things will be much easier for Ian to be the 4th or 5th banana. He should have an easier time rebounding with Duncan getting attention. An easier time finishing near the basket off feeds from Parker or Ginobili instead of Squeaky. Yes he'll be matched up against much better players, but the Spurs have been able to carry guys like Elson, Bonner, and broken down Finley for big minutes, they could even make Mahinmi look credible as well.

Manufan909
04-30-2009, 06:29 PM
The biggest reason I'm optomistic on Mahinmi and hopefull the Spurs keep him around and forcefeed him big minutes is thus:

In his Spurs career with the Spurs, the Toros, and the summer league teams, at no point did he not play pretty much as the top banana. He never logged any minutes with Tim, Tony or Manu (except I believe 1 minute in the first half in an early game in 08 where he was a foul machine).

With the Toros he was the go to guy, both ways. Same on the summer league.

If he gets a chance to play with Tim, Tony and Manu, things will get much easier for him and he'll at least look much better. Good players have been carrying scrubs and making them look better than they are throughout history. Look at this year, Matt Bonner starting? What?

Look at Francisco Elson. A third string scrub with Denver plays marginally okay when on the court with guys like Carmelo and Andre Miller et al . . . Spurs sign him, and he's able to be a part-time starter when carried by the Spurs stars. Even though he's basically a scrub. And has gone on to scrub it up with the Bucks who due to injury didn't have anyone to carry him, so he looks worse.

On the court with TD, Manu and Parker, maybe with Bowen also, things will be much easier for Ian to be the 4th or 5th banana. He should have an easier time rebounding with Duncan getting attention. An easier time finishing near the basket off feeds from Parker or Ginobili instead of Squeaky. Yes he'll be matched up against much better players, but the Spurs have been able to carry guys like Elson, Bonner, and broken down Finley for big minutes, they could even make Mahinmi look credible as well.

I was with you til you mentioned Fin. No amount of Tim and Tony made Fin look good this season.

HarlemHeat37
04-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I personally don't have high expectations for him..I expect him to be a role player, I just hope he can give some consistent energy and show some youth on a team that desperately needs it up front, especially if we get 'Sheed..anything more would be a plus, obviously..

Obstructed_View
04-30-2009, 07:24 PM
If he could average 8 points, 5 rebounds, and the occasional weak-side shot block or shot intimidation near the rim it would be enough to deem him a success in my book.

beachwood
04-30-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm expecting this guy to average 12-8-2 next season. Don't let me know Ian.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm expecting this guy to average 12-8-2 next season. Don't let me know Ian.
He averaged 8 rebounds and nearly 2 blocks in D-League, I doubt he'll duplicate those numbers playing for the Spurs. I think best case scenario would be Leon Powe numbers - 8 points and 5 rebounds with a good field goal percentage.

beachwood
04-30-2009, 07:43 PM
He averaged 8 rebounds and nearly 2 blocks in D-League, I doubt he'll duplicate those numbers playing for the Spurs. I think best case scenario would be Leon Powe numbers - 8 points and 5 rebounds with a good field goal percentage.

I think it's the SpursTalk hype factor that influenced my numbers.

EricB
04-30-2009, 08:09 PM
If he could average 8 points, 5 rebounds, and the occasional weak-side shot block or shot intimidation near the rim it would be enough to deem him a success in my book.

Agreed.

The guy was drafted at the end of the first round.

Gotta set expectations at that level...

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 08:11 PM
:lol Sorry, I totally tried to steal your thunder with the "8 and 5" prediction.

PDXSpursFan
05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Injury prone. Next please.

EricB
05-01-2009, 11:46 AM

Next where? :lol

Typical message board GM.

Marcus Bryant
05-01-2009, 03:30 PM
He could really help this team by staying healthy next season and making the rotation. NBA frontcourts are getting more athletic. Yes, you still need your traditional rebounding and physical bigs, like a Kurt Thomas, but I think it would help the Spurs greatly to have a bigman who can run the floor and rebound, as well as to score a little. I don't anticipate the Spurs re-signing Gooden either. If they signed McDyess to start, and then brought Thomas, Mahinmi, and Bonner off the bench, I think that would be an improvement. The Spurs would then be able to mix and match their bigman rotation for a given opponent. Mahinmi strikes me as more of an ideal open court bigman who could give you plenty of minutes in the regular season and then you could shave his minutes in the postseason as the game slows down.

wildbill2u
05-01-2009, 03:52 PM
This guy has been so over-hyped it's ridiculous. remember that a really good rookie player would be able to step right into at least a part-time rotation role if not as a starter. Think George Hill or a big man like Lamarcus Aldridge or Kevin Durant

Mahimi is more like Greg Oden (injured a lot because of physical build) but without the years of bb experience or developed skill set that Oden has.

Marcus Bryant
05-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Perhaps that's because he's been injured.

E20
05-01-2009, 04:24 PM
So far I've just heard of the guy, never seen him play. I don't really care what he does in a Toros uniform, I wanna see what he will do in a Spurs uniform. I'll just wait for next season to see how he does. I'm not expecting much from him.

HarlemHeat37
05-01-2009, 04:56 PM
He's not like Oden at all outside of injuries..Oden is a beast, and he's probably one of the 3 strongest players in the NBA..

EricB
05-01-2009, 04:59 PM
What "skill set" does Greg Oden have?

All I've ever seen him do good is dunk.

200 miles
05-01-2009, 05:16 PM
What "skill set" does Greg Oden have?

All I've ever seen him do good is dunk.

After seeing him in last night's game, he cannot even finish the dunk right.

Bruno
05-01-2009, 05:34 PM
In March, Pop said :

It's unfortunate that we miss him for the entire year. Not because we thought he was going to average 20 (points) and 10 (rebounds). We have no clue. We wanted to see how he'd respond and what we had. And we still don't know.

So if even Pop has no idea of what Ian could do, I wonder how some people here can call here a bust or a good player.
I'm simply in wait and see mode with Ian. I won't put a label on him and just wait what he will this summer and this autumn.

mattyc
05-01-2009, 07:51 PM
We've invested so much time in him already. It is worth persisting to see if we can reap benefits.

Get healthy Ian!

Manufan909
05-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Hope he plays 40 min per in this preseason, like he should've last year.

MagnusKrauss
05-02-2009, 05:19 AM
I'm still not sure what this kid could do. Hopefully, this year he shows us what he does. And if he gets injured (again), we should ship his ass out.

SCdac
05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Do something with this guy already. A serious injury is nothing anyone can really predict, but I wish the Spurs would pull some sort of trigger with Mahinmi. Throw him into the fire & play him (this upcoming season), waive him (if he seems injury plagued or bust-ish), or trade him for a future draft pick (if even possible). He's still with the team, sitting in business clothes everygame, so I'm assuming we're keeping him around and he's formed friendships within the Spurs roster, but I don't know how many more games with the Toros is really going to help himself OR the Spurs... He was drafted in 05, and hasn't been a factor whatsover (granted he is pretty young, on a veteran type squad). But, there's some similar-position players drafted behind him that year that have gone on to be pretty servicable (David Lee, Ryan Gomes, Brandon Bass, Amir Johnson). I hope the Spurs FO mixes it up this next season and aren't obsessed with fielding players over 30. Whether Mahinmi is an NBA talent or not, we NEED to find out, and act accordingly. I don't think anyone is expected an all-star, just for him to offer SOMETHING young big men usually provide (put-backs, offensive rebounds, hustle, etc).

lefty
05-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Just bring him in, even if he is raw.

We have nothing to lose at this point.

Look at the Lakers and Celtics, they brought young players and it's paying off

jason1301
05-04-2009, 05:13 PM
i ll be happy if he can go 5 and 5, I haven't seen him play much but I don't have high hopes. You can't rely on unproven rookies. Summer league will be big for him, but expect the spurs to try and find something more reliable, if he can be a contributor thats a plus.

Obstructed_View
05-05-2009, 04:45 AM
i ll be happy if he can go 5 and 5,

I agree, especially if one of those fives isn't fouls.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-07-2009, 01:15 AM
It astounds me how stupid some people are... I'm getting really sick of the posters saying things like "what's he done for me lately? Ditch him" and "should we continue with this guy?" and "if he gets injured again, shoot the SOB!" yeah, because injuries are his fault... :rolleyes

He's 22! That's one year past college for many players, and he's a baby in big-man terms (they come into their own in their mid-to-late 20s generally). Not only that, but a couple of poorly diagnosed ankle injuries snuffed his season, and yet people still want to give up on him? Give me a break. :pctoss

Mahinmi has huge potential. Whether it is realised is still up in the air, but at worst I see him as a poor man's Tyrus Thomas.

Give the kid 2 full seasons, and if he's shown nothing by then you can bring out the guillotine. Otherwise, lay off him. It's called "developing a player".

D-ROB 50
05-07-2009, 02:03 PM
It astounds me how stupid some people are... I'm getting really sick of the posters saying things like "what's he done for me lately? Ditch him" and "should we continue with this guy?" and "if he gets injured again, shoot the SOB!" yeah, because injuries are his fault... :rolleyes

He's 22! That's one year past college for many players, and he's a baby in big-man terms (they come into their own in their mid-to-late 20s generally). Not only that, but a couple of poorly diagnosed ankle injuries snuffed his season, and yet people still want to give up on him? Give me a break. :pctoss

Mahinmi has huge potential. Whether it is realised is still up in the air, but at worst I see him as a poor man's Tyrus Thomas.

Give the kid 2 full seasons, and if he's shown nothing by then you can bring out the guillotine. Otherwise, lay off him. It's called "developing a player".

well said :toast

ChumpDumper
05-07-2009, 02:18 PM
I don't know how many more games with the Toros is really going to help himself OR the Spurs.Unless they change the rules, Ian can't play with the Toros anymore.

angelbelow
05-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Unless they change the rules, Ian can't play with the Toros anymore.

ohhh. i never knew that. so the rule is a 2 year max or something like that?

ChumpDumper
05-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Yes. The Spurs want the rules changed so vets can do rehab stints and the like, but it hasn't happened yet.

Mark in Austin
05-07-2009, 03:33 PM
CD, you've probably seen more of Mahinmi live than anybody. Has your opinion of him changed / evolved? It's probably not a fair comparison with the different rosters, but how did he look compared to Pops' limited stint?

ChumpDumper
05-07-2009, 04:00 PM
A big difference between Ian and Pops is that Ian rarely went through a game without being doubled-teams almost the entire time. Pops' getting 39 points and 18 boards in a single game is impressive, but the impact of those numbers is blunted a bit when you take into account his being single-covered by Josh Davis most of the game. Opposing teams did have a lot more time to scout and game plan Ian. Pops was in Austin for less than a month, so the process was much more truncated in his case.

Ian has a bit more size and a more refined post game. Pops is a better rebounder. Both are excellent in transition. Ian played more of a Duncan role on defense and the Toros could completely shut down other teams with him as their anchor. Pops was much less fundamentally sound when it came to things like rotations, but he did a good job of recovering and was a better weak side shot blocker.

I've said before I can see Ian playing an Elson-like role on the Spurs -- but he has much more potential in the areas of post offense and defense than Francisco. Pops' offensive deficiencies in the halfcourt have become magnified in the NBA. He'll need to develop more of a face up/midrange game to make up for his lack of size. I think he got called up because he hit a bunch of midrange shots in Austin -- if he can do that in the NBA, he has a much better chance of sticking.

Tbiggums47
05-07-2009, 04:13 PM
well said :toast
This is the way I see it. If the Spurs can pull Splitter and Mahimi frontline = Duncan, Splitter, Gooden, Mahimi, Thomas. Nice rotation right? Then,
Add Ginobili, Mason, Gist, Hill, and Parker + Key intangible players then we are back in the party. Because, we got beat by a soft ass Dallas team. And as you can see they are not that good! We need young legs in key spots!

Taking it to the Hole
05-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I am thinking that is wishful thinking that people want Ian to be played heavy minutes. Your assuming that he can stay on the court long enough without getting in foul trouble. This guy still hasn't learned to play solid defense without fouling. And he is doing that in the D-League, so how can we expect him to not foul in the big time??? I think he hasn't shown anything to warrant heavy minutes. Your better off giving those minutes to an athletic big man who has been in the league for a couple of years or to a proven veteran, like Sheed, KT, or Dice.

ChumpDumper
05-07-2009, 04:25 PM
An athletic big man is critical need for the Spurs. I'm not against the Spurs' picking up another on in addition to Ian, depending on the makeup of the team. I personally think Gist could play the 3 or 4, so I'm cool signing him to fill that role.

Tbiggums47
05-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I am thinking that is wishful thinking that people want Ian to be played heavy minutes. Your assuming that he can stay on the court long enough without getting in foul trouble. This guy still hasn't learned to play solid defense without fouling. And he is doing that in the D-League, so how can we expect him to not foul in the big time??? I think he hasn't shown anything to warrant heavy minutes. Your better off giving those minutes to an athletic big man who has been in the league for a couple of years or to a proven veteran, like Sheed, KT, or Dice.
It is wishful thinking. I wish that Ian is good as Sheed and has the toughness of KT only in a younger version.He lead the D-Team to the championship. They have not been back since. He has talent. I don't know if he would get in foul trouble or play heavy minutes. All I know is this: The Spurs have fell off defensively each year since D-Rob left. Tim practically has played alone on the frontline. As you saw this year--It is wearing him out...He can't do it alone. Now in regards to Sheed and Dice.I wouldn't find a spot for them. I trust Pop and RC. I remember when Pop took over for Bob Hill how everybody quipped at his nerve at changing the Spurs style. That style change gave the Spurs 4 Championships. The Spurs do not randomly draft talent. This guy has all star talent. Give him a chance. NBA scouts have said as much. Go back and look at the preseason scouting reports on the Spurs last year. If this guy commands any kind of attention in the post and is a defensive presence.The Spurs are a big factor again for the next 2-3 years!:lobt2:

Brazil
05-07-2009, 05:13 PM
A big difference between Ian and Pops is that Ian rarely went through a game without being doubled-teams almost the entire time. Pops' getting 39 points and 18 boards in a single game is impressive, but the impact of those numbers is blunted a bit when you take into account his being single-covered by Josh Davis most of the game. Opposing teams did have a lot more time to scout and game plan Ian. Pops was in Austin for less than a month, so the process was much more truncated in his case.

Ian has a bit more size and a more refined post game. Pops is a better rebounder. Both are excellent in transition. Ian played more of a Duncan role on defense and the Toros could completely shut down other teams with him as their anchor. Pops was much less fundamentally sound when it came to things like rotations, but he did a good job of recovering and was a better weak side shot blocker.

I've said before I can see Ian playing an Elson-like role on the Spurs -- but he has much more potential in the areas of post offense and defense than Francisco. Pops' offensive deficiencies in the halfcourt have become magnified in the NBA. He'll need to develop more of a face up/midrange game to make up for his lack of size. I think he got called up because he hit a bunch of midrange shots in Austin -- if he can do that in the NBA, he has a much better chance of sticking.

Thanks Chump for these always very good perspective of the Toros players.

Mark in Austin
05-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks CD. Knowing Ian successfully played as the anchor of a serious defense is reassuring. It's also a good reminder that Ian was the focal point of opposing team's defensive strategies whereas Pops wasn't.

Pops sure can dunk garbage rebounds and yell like Elson though...

Russ
05-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Unless they change the rules, Ian can't play with the Toros anymore.

Terrifying words in the Mahinmi universe. :wow:wow:wow

DPG21920
05-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Spurs need an infusion of youth, especially up front. Ian should provide that boost. Lets hope he comes to work and can pick things up quickly. If he can just focus on defense and rebounding and running the floor he will help.

Then work on his shooting, ball-handling and shot blocking in practice and just grow throughout the year.

Manufan909
05-13-2009, 01:20 AM
So chump, any news on Ian with the Toros? Did he ever end up in a game, or was it just rehab/so Spurs fans wouldn't see him in a suit next to Manu in the POs and be even more :depressed?

Marcus Bryant
05-13-2009, 10:12 AM

Then again, those are likely the same fans who believe Pops Kunta-Kinte is a future All-Star. Further, what other young bigman prospect do the Spurs have available for the 2009-10 season?

The front office has made its share of mistakes, but then I read the solutions proffered by the masses and pour myself a drink.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Then again, those are likely the same fans who believe Pops Kunta-Kinte is a future All-Star.
Does it make you idiots feel good to repeat shit that never happened and feel superior about it?

I'd love to see a single post, let alone multiple, where someone seriously said Pops was a future all-star. Second, how much worse is he than the guy who started at center for the Spurs in the playoffs? The fans that recognized the need Mensah-Bonsu filled are probably the same ones that are hopeful That Mahinmi can take over that role. If everyone on the squad gave the kind of effort Pops did, it's likely the Spurs are still alive in the playoffs right now.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Ian has a lot of upside. My hope is that he gets healthy so he can get some good run this upcoming season.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Ian has a lot of upside. My hope is that he gets healthy so he can get some good run this upcoming season.

I agree. Another thing that's often mentioned and more often overlooked is the fact that he's really young. I think he's still younger than Duncan was his rookie year.

poop
05-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Does it make you idiots feel good to repeat shit that never happened and feel superior about it?

I'd love to see a single post, let alone multiple, where someone seriously said Pops was a future all-star. Second, how much worse is he than the guy who started at center for the Spurs in the playoffs? The fans that recognized the need Mensah-Bonsu filled are probably the same ones that are hopeful That Mahinmi can take over that role. If everyone on the squad gave the kind of effort Pops did, it's likely the Spurs are still alive in the playoffs right now.

Exactly.

POPS has proven he can rebound, clean up down low, and provide energy at the NBA level.

what has mahinmi done so far?

whats even worse is here we have Chumper saying that Mahinmi is not as good as POPS at rebounding or blocking shots, ironically the 2 things we need most.

Manufan909
05-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Then again, those are likely the same fans who believe Pops Kunta-Kinte is a future All-Star. Further, what other young bigman prospect do the Spurs have available for the 2009-10 season?

The front office has made its share of mistakes, but then I read the solutions proffered by the masses and pour myself a drink.

Not counting the posters who possibly joined ST only to sing his praises, I don't think one person thought of him that way here. It's just the anti-Pops posters thought they'd get clever and call him Kunta-Kinte like it was actually funny, and not pathetic, who overreacted to everyone overreacting when Mensah showed off his incredible athleticism. And how could you blame us, we haven't seen dunks of that caliber by a young big in years, and instead watching Bonner, Horry, Fab, KT, and Tim play their style.:downspin:

For future reference MB, don't think of poop when you try to generalize ST.

Manufan909
05-13-2009, 03:55 PM

Damn beat me to it.:toast

ChumpDumper
05-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Eh, Pops has only really shown he can rebound in the NBA given regular minutes. I'm content to see what Ian can do.

Manufan909
05-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Eh, Pops has only really shown he can rebound in the NBA given regular minutes. I'm content to see what Ian can do.

Did anyone follow him when he played on the Raptors? Cuz IIRC his FG% with them was under 40%.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Exactly.

POPS has proven he can rebound, clean up down low, and provide energy at the NBA level.

what has mahinmi done so far?

whats even worse is here we have Chumper saying that Mahinmi is not as good as POPS at rebounding or blocking shots, ironically the 2 things we need most.

Your posts sometimes start off strong, and then just devolve back into the idiocy that is the rest of your posts. You're really close to becoming a valuable poster here if you can drop some of the pointless judgmental hate.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2009, 04:10 PM

Yeah, it didn't break my heart to see Pops go, but the excitement he generated is more a sign of how desperate the Spurs' needs at that position have gotten. I'm optimistic Ian can avoid catching a bad break next season and actually show what he's got.

Russ
05-13-2009, 09:47 PM
The thing that bothers me about Mahinmi is how comfortable he seems to be with what has happened the past 4 years -- since he was the Spurs' first round pick.

He doesn't seem frustrated that he hasn't had the chance to prove himself or compete in big games in all these years. He doesn't appear angry at his injury-plagued fate.

I see him behind the bench in street clothes and he seems completely contented, like life couldn't be better. It's as if he's thinking to himself, "Wow, who would've thought baskeball could take me this far. I get to travel, see the world, and I'm well paid to boot. Gosh, I wonder where I'll be next year. I guess my agent will let me know."

I know this is subjective and certainly subject to criticism, but he just seems to lack that competitive fire. Like he thinks basketball is great career and who woulda thunk it. I don't see any hunger or drive there and, if so, I really doubt he'll be with the Spurs for the long haul.

Okay, let me have it for my presumptuous and speculative observations. :lol

Marcus Bryant
05-13-2009, 10:17 PM

Fuck you. It's bad enough you idiots think he's even a NBA player.

picnroll
05-13-2009, 10:50 PM
At this point I'll be excited if Mahinmi can make it to training camp uninjured.

tav1
05-13-2009, 10:58 PM
does it make you idiots feel good to repeat shit that never happened and feel superior about it?

I'd love to see a single post, let alone multiple, where someone seriously said pops was a future all-star. Second, how much worse is he than the guy who started at center for the spurs in the playoffs? The fans that recognized the need mensah-bonsu filled are probably the same ones that are hopeful that mahinmi can take over that role. If everyone on the squad gave the kind of effort pops did, it's likely the spurs are still alive in the playoffs right now.

+1, but minus the alive in the playoffs stuff.

Obstructed_View
05-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Fuck you. It's bad enough you idiots think he's even a NBA player.

News flash, dumbfuck: He IS an NBA player.

TheProfessor
05-14-2009, 01:01 AM
News flash, dumbfuck: He IS an NBA player.
I'd say he's borderline. Great energy off the bench and excellent rebounding per 40, but he's nowhere near a competent offensive player, nor is his defense up to par. A statistical impact on a bad team also doesn't say very much.

poop
05-14-2009, 09:36 AM
LOL give me a fucking break, is he any less of an 'nba player' than half our fucking roster this year?

200 miles
05-14-2009, 09:40 AM
by the end of next season, if healthy, Ian will already be the team's 2nd best big behind Duncan

possibly 3rd if Gooden stays

mountainballer
05-14-2009, 10:47 AM
the bad news are, that any mystery story will come to an end at some point.
and then most of the posters, who still believe Ian is kind of a diamond in the rough, will wake up.
the best case for Ian will be the role of a 4th man in the big rotation, but I do have my doubts he will even get there. what most of his remaining fans constantly ignore is to ask if he is a player at all.

dbestpro
05-14-2009, 10:49 AM
At this point I'll be excited if Mahinmi can make it to training camp uninjured.

This is why he should not play in the summer league. Start off in camp and work the rust off from there. If he gets injured again let it be against real NBA talent.

Marcus Bryant
05-14-2009, 02:25 PM
news flash, dumbfuck: He is an nba player.

rofl.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Pops can be a Brandon Bass-type player if he was given a good run. Mavericks fans who saw him play for their team even say this.

The only thing we really know about Ian is that he had an ability to dunk the shit out of the ball when noone was around him at age 18, he hasn't translated his leaping ability to shotblocking in the D-league, and he is still very raw and unpolished offensively.

Bruno
05-15-2009, 06:27 AM
An interview of Ian made two days ago:
http://www.basketnews.net/asp.net/main.news/details.aspx?id=2960

How are you?
I'm fine. My ankle goes very well, it is almost at 100%. There is just two or three little things like, as example, the morning when I wake up. It's still a little uncomfortable sometimes but, except that, all is fine.

And you are now in France?
It goes well. We've just arrived with Tony and we have looked at a practice. We are in France so we see friends. I've a lot of Friends in L'ASVEL and Nancy. We will see a good basketball game, it will be fun. Then, I will go back to San Antonio to work. I will first enjoy these couple of days with Tony.

Your program of the summer?
First, I will play the summer league in Las Vegas. After that, I will practice with the team in San Antonio and be ready for the next season. I sure hope to play.

No loan to L'ASVEL then?
No, no.

How did you live this last season without playing?
It was psychologically difficult because I came from a good season in NBDL, and a good summer after it. The staff, the coach and me have high expectation for me but I broke my ankle. It was very very difficult mentally, but it happens to everyone. Hopefully, there were my family and my friends. They were always behind me. There was the operation, the rehabilitation and now, that I'm ready to get my game back, it's a pleasure. I will try to find back my level of play and help Spurs next year.

Do you still have the feeling to improve yourself ?
In the life, there are a lot fof ways to improve yourself. Life isn't only limited to basketball. I've improved as a man, mentally-wise and I'm still working with the coaches on my moves and on my body. Even if I wasn't able to play, I think to have improve myself in other areas. You better had to take the silver lining of every situation.

DPG21920
05-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Ian is a likable guy. I really hope he does well, because he has a lot of people rooting for him. It would be nice to see a young, hungry and enthusiastic big on the roster next to Tim. It could really breathe some new life into the franchise.

Brazil
05-15-2009, 10:26 AM
thnaks Bruno nice interview, I hope he will be a good young athletic big for the spurs next year

EricB
05-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Well Russ, guess your thought of him not being frusterated or content to sit is out the window.

benefactor
05-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Nice interview. I really hope he turns the corner this year and becomes a rotation big. We need the depth and his athleticism desperately.

Russ
05-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Well Russ, guess your thought of him not being frusterated or content to sit is out the window.

Hmmmmm, I don't know.

Looks like the interviewer threw Mahinmi a softball and he gave a PC answer.

This suggestive question was teed up for Mahinmi to hit out the park:

How did you live this last season without playing?

Mahinmi gives the stock, "Oh, it was hell," answer but then lets slip out:

but it happens to everyone

Maybe it's just me, but I remain unconvinced of his warrior spirit. :)

Bruno
05-15-2009, 08:01 PM
From what I know of Mahinmi, the idea that he was somewhat fine with his injury is plain ridiculous.

Russ
05-15-2009, 08:05 PM
From what I know of Mahinmi, the idea that it was somewhat fine with his injury is plain ridiculous.

What do you know, pray tell?

Please confer your knowledge (as well as your opinion).

Bruno
05-15-2009, 08:19 PM
What do you know, pray tell?

Please confer your knowledge (as well as your opinion).

Mahinmi is the kind of guy that is extremely affected when he doesn't play or plays bad. He quickly loses his confidence and becomes depressive. He had two rough years (in 06-07 and 08-09) and you could feel how hard for him were these years in all the interview he gave. When he says "but it happens to everyone", it is something he says to himself to stay a little positive.

If you had to have some doubts about Mahinmi's character it should be more "he lacks of self confidence" than "he doesn't care about basketball".

Russ
05-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Mahinmi is the kind of guy that is extremely affected when he doesn't play or plays bad. He quickly loses his confidence and becomes depressive. He had two rough years (in 06-07 and 08-09) and you could feel how hard for him were these years in all the interview he gave. When he says "but it happens to everyone", it is something he says to himself to stay a little positive.

If you had to have some doubts about Mahinmi's character it should be more "he lacks of self confidence" than "he doesn't care about basketball".

I hope you're right. The Spurs put him in a bad position by over-drafting him and that's not his fault. Hopefully, he can prove me wrong (as so many before him have).

spursbird
05-16-2009, 03:11 AM

So if Ian played well in the pre-season games, I just hope he could start instead of Bonner. If Pop still bench him a lot then he would lose his confidence and really become another Elson.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-16-2009, 04:02 AM
So if Ian played well in the pre-season games, I just hope he could start instead of Bonner. If Pop still bench him a lot then he would lose his confidence and really become another Elson.

Mahinmi a starter on an eventual championship contender? The guy who has played a total of 23 mins in the NBA and who is just coming from two major injuries?

Poor guy will get people jumping on his back because he's been so overrated it's ridiculous. At this moment, if we set the bar for his career being like Elson's, would you go for over or under? Elson's is just about the best case for this kid.

Hope he proves me wrong.

spursbird
05-16-2009, 04:41 AM
Mahinmi a starter on an eventual championship contender? The guy who has played a total of 23 mins in the NBA and who is just coming from two major injuries?

Poor guy will get people jumping on his back because he's been so overrated it's ridiculous. At this moment, if we set the bar for his career being like Elson's, would you go for over or under? Elson's is just about the best case for this kid.

Hope he proves me wrong.
Whatever, anyone will be a better choice than Bonner. 23 mins means nothing. Duncan played 0 mins before he became a rookie. Timmy and Manu are getting older, Bowen,Finley and KT nearly retired, so I'm afraid if we insist on veterans or players like Bonner, we would soon be out of the championship contender like the Suns and the Pistons. He's only 22, and I believe he would be a good role player(though I often expect him to be the SAVIOR:lol).

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-16-2009, 04:52 AM
Whatever, anyone will be a better choice than Bonner. 23 mins means nothing. Duncan played 0 mins before he became a rookie. Timmy and Manu are getting older, Bowen,Finley and KT nearly retired, so I'm afraid if we insist on veterans or players like Bonner, we would soon be out of the championship contender like the Suns and the Pistons. He's only 22, and I believe he would be a good role player(though I often expect him to be the SAVIOR:lol).

Duncan had played way more than 23 mins in the first 4 years since being drafted. It's no coincidence.

spursbird
05-16-2009, 04:58 AM
Duncan had played way more than 23 mins in the first 4 years since being drafted. It's no coincidence.
That's because he was our no.1 draft pick and he did not injure himself. Oden played 0 mins in his first year.

mountainballer
05-16-2009, 07:35 AM

Hope he proves me wrong.

Elson is a very good comparison. that's the bad news. hey, can you imagine that once a team thought he could in fact be more than a 3rd striger on a NBA team? yes that's true. they thought he has starter potential. uh, unfortunately it's the same team, that once thought Ian will become a better player than David Lee. or that Matt Bonner will be better than Scola.
hmmm. someone could get the impression, that while this team is great in many things they do, their ability to scout and judge talent got lost at some point. (whatever happened between 2002 and 2003). that's a bit like Tim's FT shooting. ok, however, the difference is, while only a few people will claim that a missed FT by Tim was in fact in, because it's impossible that one of the all time best misses, there are still a lot of people claiming that the FO bricks were in fact nothing but net. oh well.

Marcus Bryant
05-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Last season was the first time Mahinmi had a shot at making the rotation and his injuries derailed that. Yet somehow that's taken as evidence that he is not a quality player.

And the Spurs never thought Bonner would be better than Scola. They thought it would be better to save $10 million by dealing Scola.

Marcus Bryant
05-16-2009, 08:36 AM

Duncan wasn't drafted when he was 18.

Brazil
05-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Last season was the first time Mahinmi had a shot at making the rotation and his injuries derailed that. Yet somehow that's taken as evidence that he is not a quality player.

And the Spurs never thought Bonner would be better than Scola. They thought it would be better to save $10 million by dealing Scola.

Exactly they were not crazy to think bonner>scola but for sure they underestimated the potential of the guy, when you see him playing great against the lakers with no help inside,$10 million is a quite good bargain :bang

benefactor
05-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20....that is what the Scola heads can't seem to grasp.

lurker23
05-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Good posts Marcus Bryant. The bottom lines so far with Ian are:

1. The Spurs (and everyone else) still have no idea what kind of player he will be at the NBA level. Anyone who claims to know anything either way is going on a lot of speculation and guesswork.

2. Along similar lines, no one can say whether he's "injury prone" or not. He's had some bad luck that has cost him some significant time, but it's entirely possible that his string of bad luck is over and he'll stay healthy for 10 years straight. We're not talking about someone who has been hurt 5 times in 8 years (at least, not yet).

3. He's 22 years old (23 on November 5).

Manufan909
05-16-2009, 05:02 PM
From what I know of Mahinmi, the idea that he was somewhat fine with his injury is plain ridiculous.

+1

WTF do you want him to be like behind the bench in a suit, Russ? You want KG-lite?

Thompson
07-01-2009, 10:23 PM
I just saw this in another thread (website originally posted by spursdotcom).

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/090701_summerleague.html

Ian Mahinmi 6'11" 250 pounds! Looks like he did bulk up a bit. I can't wait to see him play!

Thompson
07-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20....that is what the Scola heads can't seem to grasp.

:lol I was looking forward to Scola coming over for 2 years before he finally got traded. Go back and look at the threads when he was traded; everyone knew it was a bad trade at the time it happened. The threads didn't go to 30 pages for no reason. You can say that people were building him up in their minds like they do with other players, and that might be true to some degree. Everyone knew his history in Europe though, and they knew he would very likely be a good player when he finally made it over here.

I was banned from another site for venting my frustrations about the trade; I told a moderator he should let people vent and stop mocking them for it, and he banned me (no profanity or anything, just daring to argue with him). Please don't say nobody could have known Scola would be good, most people at the time thought he would be.

Sway
07-03-2009, 09:08 AM
I think Ian came into the league with unrealistic expectations. Everyone from Spurs fans to commentators thought the FO had made another Parker/Ginobili late in draft order type pick. Its pretty obvious that wasnt the case. Lets just hope he turns into a serviceable big man that can give the Spurs some solid minutes every night. I think that would be more realistic.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 09:36 AM
The main problem for Mahinmi is that he's faced a logjam in the bigman rotation and when it finally opened up he was out for the season with an injury. No, I don't think he'll ever be a superstar but it's a bit unfair to start writing the epitaph on his career. He has his chance now to get all the minutes he could ever want, at the ancient age of 22.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2009, 10:11 AM
The main problem for Mahinmi is that he's faced a logjam in the bigman rotation and when it finally opened up he was out for the season with an injury. No, I don't think he'll ever be a superstar but it's a bit unfair to start writing the epitaph on his career. He has his chance now to get all the minutes he could ever want, at the ancient age of 22.

Agreed. The only unrealistic expectation Ian came into the league with was a hope that he could step in and contribute sooner, as Timvp and I discussed the possibility of having him on the roster two years ago, which we both knew was a pipe-dream. Like you said, Ian's now about the same age as some of the current rookies in the NBA, so with a healthy camp he should be able to show what he can do. The Lakers loved Bynum when he never showed any signs of being great. Hell, a year and a half after refusing to trade him with Kobe, he hasn't shown much more. Ian has at least that kind of potential.

200 miles
07-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Hopefully his luck will change for the better and make us all look like fools for underestimating him.

Manufan909
07-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Hopefully his luck will change for the better and make us all look like fools for underestimating him.

Indeed. So who're the four peeps in your avatar?

barbacoataco
07-04-2009, 02:41 AM
Mahinmi has Bynum potential?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2009, 02:45 AM
I think Ian came into the league with unrealistic expectations. Everyone from Spurs fans to commentators thought the FO had made another Parker/Ginobili late in draft order type pick. Its pretty obvious that wasnt the case. Lets just hope he turns into a serviceable big man that can give the Spurs some solid minutes every night. I think that would be more realistic.

I don't think that's obvious at all. He's barely gotten on the court due to injury! How do we have any idea what his ceiling is?

The kid is 22, the equivalent of coming out of 4-year college, and he has spent a couple of years in the organisation learning his craft. He now has a year or two to show what he's got.

I think we all should just forget "expectations", let the kid play, and see what he can contribute. He has the physical tools, the questions that remain are about whether he has the smarts and durability to become an NBA regular, and only court time will tell us that. Most of all, cross your fingers that he can stay injury-free.

barbacoataco
07-04-2009, 02:50 AM
Does anyone who understands the nature of his injuries know if they are degenerative type issues or something that can be healed eventually?

Sometimes I think Mahinmi has a higher ceiling than any other young Spur. He has the physical tools.

Darkwaters
07-04-2009, 04:09 AM
But he also has, as we put it, "sloppy ankles"

scottspurs
07-04-2009, 04:27 AM
I hope Ian stays healthy and shows everyone what he has. From what I've heard he is a good kid and you have to be rooting for him to get another chance. His athleticism is something the spurs could really use next season.

manustarting2gd
07-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Anyone know when are we going to see some of this kid in action? Is he going to Vegas to participate in the summer league games mid July? Really am anxious to see how that foot is feelin and how he's "developed". Last memories of Ian are chillin on the bench next to Manu being brought in for the Kiss Cam.. LOL

bigdog
07-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Anyone know when are we going to see some of this kid in action? Is he going to Vegas to participate in the summer league games mid July? Really am anxious to see how that foot is feelin and how he's "developed". Last memories of Ian are chillin on the bench next to Manu being brought in for the Kiss Cam.. LOL

He is on the Summer League roster. Summer League starts next week, I think.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-04-2009, 03:55 PM
One thing I would like someone to fill me in about:

does Ian have the length and tools to be a servicable shot blocker/alterer in this league? Or is the reason he's so lacking in that department because of timing and experience?

The dude looks ripped these days, if he can just block a shot here or there, he will be a very interesting backup big.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I thought he was a decent shotblocker in the NBDL.

angelbelow
07-05-2009, 05:50 PM
I thought he was a decent shotblocker in the NBDL.

i didnt watch him play but statistically he wasnt bad.

how does rebounding rate usually translate to the NBA level from the dleague level?

Bruno
07-05-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm really curious the see what Ian will do in SL.
He is a gigantic question mark and I damn hope we will have the start of an answer in 2 weeks.

loveforthegame
07-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Very big SL coming up for Ian. Obviously would love to some improvement and get an idea of just where he could help the Spurs this year but at this point I'd just settle for him staying healthy.

benefactor
07-05-2009, 06:46 PM
I think he needs to play pretty balls out. He lacked intensity and looked disinterested at times during last years SL. I don't think he can get away with that again after everything that transpired last season. It's time for him to show the Spurs that he is the player that they thought they had when they drafted him.

bigdog
07-05-2009, 07:52 PM
I really want to see Ian push himself to show that he deserves playing time this year. I know he hasn't played in a while, but I reall want to see him show a level of intensity and effort that we haven't seen from him, but without getting injured. I want to see him succeed.

Sigz
07-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Is his vagina going to break soon?

objective
07-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I've been rewatching last years RMR and once again was disappointed at how lackluster Mahinmi was. Wasn't fighting for position, moved like a stiff, missing his shots.

He needs to come out this year and dominate the SL, or at least try not to get slaughtered by Serge Ibaka.

MagnusKrauss
07-06-2009, 10:27 AM
we need to keep in mind last year he still had a small bone spur in his foot. let's all hope that now that it's been removed, he'll play well.

Tully365
07-07-2009, 03:07 AM
we need to keep in mind last year he still had a small bone spur in his foot. let's all hope that now that it's been removed, he'll play well.

Good point. What some might have mistaken for a lackluster performance might have been Mahinmi trying to play through pain and physical limitations brought on by his injury. I can't wait to see him in SL this year.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-07-2009, 03:19 AM
One thing I would like someone to fill me in about:

does Ian have the length and tools to be a servicable shot blocker/alterer in this league? Or is the reason he's so lacking in that department because of timing and experience?

The dude looks ripped these days, if he can just block a shot here or there, he will be a very interesting backup big.

I remember him blocking 3 shots in 11 minutes of action 2 years ago when he played a few NBA games. From the little I saw that day I thought he could be a weakside shotblocker in the NBA.

Is his vagina going to break soon?

Totally unnecessary and unfair. He's had two severe ankle injuries, one of which was misdiagnosed for months. What do you expect him to do, play on crutches?

Also, I doubt Becky would be impressed with your use of the word "vagina" in an insult. :rolleyes

YODA
07-10-2009, 03:31 PM
anyone have SL roster?

lurker23
07-10-2009, 03:39 PM
anyone have SL roster?

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/090701_summerleague.html

Tully365
07-10-2009, 04:41 PM
I think after last season Mahinmi got an unfair assessment from some for not being tough enough. What happened was he got injured and the injury just wouldn't heal. But it wasn't until something like 6 or 7 MRIs later that team doctors finally diagnosed the real problem-- then he had surgery to fix it, and now he's finally close to 100%.

angelbelow
07-10-2009, 06:51 PM
I think after last season Mahinmi got an unfair assessment from some for not being tough enough. What happened was he got injured and the injury just wouldn't heal. But it wasn't until something like 6 or 7 MRIs later that team doctors finally diagnosed the real problem-- then he had surgery to fix it, and now he's finally close to 100%.

yea i agree, but this year, there are no excuses. we'll finally get to see the player we drafted in 2005

barbacoataco
07-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Mahinmi needs to play well because right now there are 6 bigs fighting for playing time- Duncan, bonner, Mahinmi, Blair, Haislip, and McDyess. Unless Bonner gets traded that is one too many PF/C.

However, if Mahinmi is for real, he has length, size and athleticism that those other bigs are lacking.

He is without a doubt the biggest ??? for the Spurs. Even Blair is more of a known quantity.

Knoxxx
07-10-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm counting Bonner as a SF or injured reserve (or gone).

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:09 PM
I expect a lot from this guy next year.
:hat

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:10 PM
when he played in summer league, it felt like he was elson 2.0, not very promising. but unlike elson, he's still young and has room to improve. all the spurs need from him is limited offense, rebounding and shotblocking, which shouldn't be too hard considering his size and athleticism.

Elson 2.0?!? Does that even exists?

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:11 PM
october

hope hes at least a poor mans KG :lol
:lol

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:13 PM
why have the Spurs been wasting so long on this french filet mignion then?
:rollin

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:14 PM
The Greg Oden of San Antonio. At least Oden plays lol
:bang

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:15 PM
I feel like a lot of people have lofty expectations of Ian and that he will not be able to meet them.

You may be right.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:16 PM
:depressed

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:16 PM
This guy has been so over-hyped it's ridiculous. remember that a really good rookie player would be able to step right into at least a part-time rotation role if not as a starter. Think George Hill or a big man like Lamarcus Aldridge or Kevin Durant

Mahimi is more like Greg Oden (injured a lot because of physical build) but without the years of bb experience or developed skill set that Oden has.

Wow, a second confirmation?

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:21 PM

:bang

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah, it didn't break my heart to see Pops go, but the excitement he generated is more a sign of how desperate the Spurs' needs at that position have gotten. I'm optimistic Ian can avoid catching a bad break next season and actually show what he's got.

Good point.

poeticism707
07-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Mahinmi has Bynum potential?
:wow

Interrohater
07-11-2009, 12:33 AM
I actually think the Spurs might be higher on Haislip than Ian right now. He's got a lot to prove out there. It's definitely a make or break year for him, if that. Maybe he doesn't get past preseason. We'll see, I'll be honest when I say I am one of those that had elevated hopes for him, I hope he doesn't disappoint. Athletic 6'11" is hard to come by.

AFBlue
07-11-2009, 12:49 AM
I actually think the Spurs might be higher on Haislip than Ian right now. He's got a lot to prove out there. It's definitely a make or break year for him, if that. Maybe he doesn't get past preseason. We'll see, I'll be honest when I say I am one of those that had elevated hopes for him, I hope he doesn't disappoint. Athletic 6'11" is hard to come by.

I'm not sure they're in direct competition for a job, because their skill sets are so incredibly different. I think right now all Ian has to do is stay healthy and prove that his development has finally started to reap some on-court benefit.

If he proves after all this time (despite being just 22) that he's still not ready for regular NBA minutes, he'll likely be let go at the end of the season in favor of another post player (Splitter?).

poeticism707
07-11-2009, 02:52 AM

Yep. Ian has a lot of proving to do. I hope he's up for the challenge.

HarlemHeat37
07-11-2009, 03:13 AM
Ian is much more important than Haislip or Bonner IMO..this is our potential shot blocker in the lineup..

Libri
10-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Preseason stats

vs Houston, 10/6
17:23 min, 1-6 FG, 1-2 FT, 4 Reb, 6 PF, 1 BS, 3 points

vs Olympiacos, 10/9
8:10 min, 3-4 FG, 1-2 FT, 2 Reb, 7 points

legend of united
01-17-2010, 10:10 AM
good player

Bruno
01-17-2010, 11:54 AM
An interview of Ian (nothing great):
Z13XtqLNFhs

DPG21920
01-17-2010, 02:26 PM
I am really upset at this whole Ian situation. I have long been a fan of him and I truly wish things would have worked out better. Everything from his injuries and his relatively poor play in crucial moments (SL...) along with Pop being stubborn has led us to the point we are at.

I am not confident that he can be a rotational player, but he should have been given the chance to prove himself.

Libri
02-15-2010, 03:20 AM
In six games his FG% is .727. Not bad at all.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Hmmmm...assuming Splitter joins and Jefferson returns, Mahinmi back at the LLE and Bonner departing would be good moves. A capable 5th big would ease the regular season burden on the other four (TD/Splitter/Blair/McDyess). McDyess' minutes can be around 12 to 15 a night rather than 20+. Not to mention that Ian is built for today's NBA. You're not going to find a better athletic and young bigman talent for the LLE.

EricB
07-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Bonner's agent says Bonner wants to go back and the Spurs want him back so, sorry....

Bruno
07-01-2010, 01:55 AM
Bonner's agent says Bonner wants to go back and the Spurs want him back so, sorry....

Bonner's agent doesn't exactly say that.

But yeah, chances aren't good to see Ian back with Spurs. I hope he will succeed elsewhere.

objective
07-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Ian will be a success elsewhere, much to the surprise of ignorant Spurs fans.

objective
07-01-2010, 02:09 AM
It would be fairly amusing if the Spurs fail to sign Splitter while at the same time losing Mahinmi. It would be a day of celebration for Bonner-fans.

EricB
07-01-2010, 02:13 AM
Ian will be a success elsewhere, much to the surprise of ignorant Spurs fans.

As someones whos watched him in many pro games I would be shocked if he had success...

EricB
07-01-2010, 02:14 AM
It would be fairly amusing if the Spurs fail to sign Splitter while at the same time losing Mahinmi. It would be a day of celebration for Bonner-fans.

So your hoping for the Spurs to do bad.

Awesome...

EricB
07-01-2010, 02:15 AM
Bonner's agent doesn't exactly say that.

But yeah, chances aren't good to see Ian back with Spurs. I hope he will succeed elsewhere.

He does too say Bonner wants to go back :)

objective
07-01-2010, 02:17 AM
As someones whos watched him in many pro games I would be shocked if he had success...

you'll be shocked

So your hoping for the Spurs to do bad.

Awesome...

I hope the Spurs get both Splitter and Ian and actually play guys who aren't chokers.

But I recognize the humor of the situation even should it turn out bad.

admiralsnackbar
07-01-2010, 04:15 AM
you'll be shocked

I stopped expecting shock when the Spurs passed on an extension for Ian but offered it to Hairston's very NBDL-level skillz. Seriously: did you watch his SL play last year? It was comical, brother.

tomtom
07-01-2010, 01:58 PM
I can see the Bobcats picking him up

Bruno
07-01-2010, 03:36 PM
I think Ian will sign with Mavs.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2010, 03:37 PM
I hope he goes to a crappy team that can let him play through his flurries of fouls. Good teams will yank him quickly.

objective
07-01-2010, 03:41 PM
If Carlisle wouldn't let Beaubois play through his mistakes, then it doesn't look good for Ian. Plus add in all the other bodies the Mavs always have, it will be hard for Ian to even get in ahead of a re-signed Haywood, a new Mav Shaq, and whatever other characters they bring in.

timvp
07-01-2010, 03:42 PM

:smchode:

pad300
07-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Is that a FU Pop by any chance?

Bruno
07-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Is that a FU Pop by any chance?

No, Ian really like Pop even if he was in his doghouse.

Dallas is just a guess of my part and not some kind of inside info. Mahinmi's agent is very close to Mavs and Mavs have very few bigmen under contract.

Libri
07-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Ian to the Mavs is a possibility. It looks like Dampier won't be back. The Mavs could cut Dampier or trade him in order to avoid paying him $13 million. Dampier wants the full MLE and the Mavs are unwilling to offer that.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2010, 06:27 PM

Christ. No.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2010, 11:10 PM

Naturally. The Spurs hadn't gifted that Texas franchise a young, talented bigman yet.

objective
07-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Just curious, do the Spurs still own Ian's bird rights even though they declined his option?

No, they surrendered their Bird rights.

And Bruno can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Spurs are limited to only paying him the same amount as his declined option if they don't use an exception to sign him.

coyotes_geek
07-02-2010, 01:04 AM
Just curious, do the Spurs still own Ian's bird rights even though they declined his option?

Yes. The Spurs have full bird rights on Ian, but they're restricted to only being able to pay him what the 4th year option would have been in the 1st year of a new contract. At least that's how I understand it.

Bruno
07-02-2010, 03:48 AM
Just to add at what has been said, Ian's fourth year option was $1,786,354.

timvp
07-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Convert that to today's free agency dollars and that's like a buck fitty. :shootme

Agloco
07-02-2010, 03:48 PM

Convert that to today's free agency dollars and that's like a buck fitty. :shootme

To be fair, they did decline the option before Dicky J opted out. Having said that, I'm not sure if they would have picked up the option even if they had known things would go down as they did. I'd like to think that they would have. Ian for 1.7mil doesn't exactly scream "albatross" to me.

No, they surrendered their Bird rights.

And Bruno can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Spurs are limited to only paying him the same amount as his declined option if they don't use an exception to sign him.

Correct..........I think :lol

Yes. The Spurs have full bird rights on Ian, but they're restricted to only being able to pay him what the 4th year option would have been in the 1st year of a new contract. At least that's how I understand it.

As I understand it, full bird rights would include the ability to offer him anywhere from a vet minimum to max contract despite being over the cap. By definition then, they do not have "full bird rights"..........I think. :lol

Bruno
07-02-2010, 04:17 PM
To clarify the "bird rights" situation of Mahinmi:
Spurs have limited bird rights with Mahinmi. Without using an exception (MLE, LLE or in salary), Spurs can sign to a 1 to 6 years contract with 10.5% raises and whose starting salary is between $885,120 (the min salary for him) and $1,786,354.

Saying that, if Spurs are really interested in bringing back Bonner, it means that they aren't interested in Mahinmi, even for the min. Spurs front court will be full with Duncan, Splitter, Blair, Dice, Bonner and Richards.

SenorSpur
07-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Spurs have limited bird rights with Mahinmi. Without using an exception (MLE, LLE or in salary), Spurs can sign to a 1 to 6 years contract with 10.5% raises and whose starting salary is between $885,120 (the min salary for him) and $1,786,354.

Saying that, if Spurs are really interested in bringing back Bonner, it means that they aren't interested in Mahinmi, even for the min. Spurs front court will be full with Duncan, Splitter, Blair, Dice, Bonner and Richards.

...something for the life of me, I can't understand. Even if they don't want Ian around, I still don't understand WHY Bonner is invited back. If the Spurs weren't a playoff team, I could understand it. Because that's the only time he's able to play is in the regular season.

pad300
07-02-2010, 06:07 PM

I understand that your considering Splitter as a certainty... But are you really sure about Richards? I know he talked about coming over, but I question if the Spurs are willing to commit a roster spot (and the associated salary) to such a raw player, when he could develop much better in a lesser league

PS. Are you certain Bonner will be back? I would be exploring other options (Tolliver, for example) if I wanted a shooting big for the Spurs...

Bruno
07-03-2010, 07:53 AM
But are you really sure about Richards?

Richards singing with Spurs is likely. His mom said that Spurs unlike some other NBA teams, that wanted to let him overseas, were ready to sign him.

Richards coming or not will have few impact on Mahinmi's case. Richards will be Spurs 6th PF/C who spend the whole year on the inactive list and in Austin. If Spurs sign Mahinmi, it's to be at least the 5th PF/C and to play some minutes with Spurs.

PS. Are you certain Bonner will be back? I would be exploring other options (Tolliver, for example) if I wanted a shooting big for the Spurs...

I'm not sure Bonner will be back but what is sure is that Spurs have contacted him and that there are no places for Bonner and Mahinmi if Splitter is signed.

You can always imagine scenario where Spurs have contacted both Mahinmi and Bonner with one being the plan B or Mahinmi having turned down a Spur offer and Bonner being the plan B but it doesn't look like the most likely scenario.

And like SenorSpur, I don't get why Spurs wants Bonner back. I could understand that they aren't high on Mahinmi. But Bonner... :bang :bang :bang

will_spurs
07-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Miami needs a few bigs... :)

Blackjack
07-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Are you suggesting that the newly formed Miami Thrice could use a little Mahinmi Vice? :shootme

johnnyblues
07-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Miami needs a few bigs... :)

Actually the first thing that came to my mind.

spursfan1000
07-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Any knews on him lately?

tdunk21
07-10-2010, 12:34 AM
bonner came back....is ian coming back???

venitian navigator
07-10-2010, 05:13 AM
I'd really like him to come back...which I suppose coul be possible for a long contract (more than two years) and the perspective to play some minutes this coming years.
Tim is 34, Dice is older...they MUST rest at least for some games (expecially back to backs) so, also if Splitter shows he can really play, there will be enough time for 6 bigs (or 7 considering Richards...).

Bruno
07-10-2010, 05:28 AM
The only way Ian could be back is if Dice or Blair is traded. Even if one is traded, it's far from sure that Spurs are even interested in bringing him back.

The latest I heard on him was that he was at a minicamp organized by his agent in Dallas with players like Ajinça and Mozgov. His agent also seems to be confident on his ability to find a new NBA team.

will_spurs
07-10-2010, 06:01 AM
I wish him the best but please... not Dallas. As somebody said (in this thread?) "oh yeah there's still one Texas franchise we haven't given a big to".

Harry Callahan
07-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Dice is on his last legs. I wish he would get a shot a contributing, but something isn't working in Pop's eyes.

I don't want Ian in Dallas, that's for sure.

SenorSpur
07-10-2010, 09:09 AM
The Spurs are foolish for not bringing Ian back. As has been stated, Dice will out after this year. The addition of Splitter is wonderful, but even he doesn't have the rebounding and shotblocking prowess needed to alleviate the burden on Tim. Yet they jettison Ian in favor of keeping Bonner's unproductive ass. Unbelievable.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Ian's rebounding and shotblocking are quite overrated here.

mookie2001
07-10-2010, 01:29 PM
ian is pretty unproductive himself

will_spurs
07-10-2010, 02:06 PM
ian is pretty unproductive himself

Show us the numbers.

mookie2001
07-10-2010, 03:12 PM
3 ppg 1 rpg in his career

yavozerb
07-10-2010, 03:27 PM
The Spurs are foolish for not bringing Ian back. As has been stated, Dice will out after this year. The addition of Splitter is wonderful, but even he doesn't have the rebounding and shotblocking prowess needed to alleviate the burden on Tim. Yet they jettison Ian in favor of keeping Bonner's unproductive ass. Unbelievable.

Bonner may be hated on but he is head and shoulders above what Ian can provide for the spurs in the coming seasons.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Ian to MIA is a possibility. He'll fit in nicely.

He'll start next to Bosh and make the game saving block on Duncan in the finals.

DesignatedT
07-10-2010, 06:25 PM
:lol if he goes to miami. yawn lovers will have a field day around here.

TimmehC
07-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Denver just lost a French big man - maybe they could use an upgrade.

EricB
07-11-2010, 03:18 AM
Ian's rebounding and shotblocking are quite overrated here.

Just like Pops Mensah Bonsu and James White's overall game?

Pish posh.

J_Paco
07-11-2010, 04:08 AM
Another wasted draft pick.........

*Sigh*

Well, at least Matt Bonner is back in the fold. You know he'll bring those great intangibles that Robert Horry once had. Gosh, I remember that huge shot in the playoffs he made. Or the time......

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-11-2010, 06:13 AM

Indeed. You've gotta have a stretch 3!!! :rolleyes :depressed

He'll start next to Bosh and make the game saving block on Duncan in the finals.

I could see that happening... if we ever get past LA again.

ElNono
07-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Apparently close to a deal with the Mavs for the LLE...

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/07/11/2327773/dallas-mavericks-close-in-on-deal.html

DesignatedT
07-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Nice call Bruno

J_Paco
07-12-2010, 03:48 AM
Shit, worst of all looks like Dallas might actually give him PT too. Well, we'll soon find out if he really was a bust or if Pop held him back too much and too often.

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2010, 03:52 AM
Shit, worst of all looks like Dallas might actually give him PT too. Well, we'll soon find out if he really was a bust or if Pop held him back too much and too often.

It'll be a relief to not chronically face speculation either way, at least.

ceperez
07-12-2010, 05:48 AM
It'll be a relief to not chronically face speculation either way, at least.

Agree.

Though if he plays well, this will be Scola 2.0.

ceperez
07-12-2010, 05:52 AM
For all those Ian haters out there, feast on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcggbD8EpAM

and what did Sean say in the end?

coyotes_geek
07-12-2010, 07:39 AM
The mavs can have him. He sucks.

mountainballer
07-12-2010, 08:14 AM
For all those Ian haters out there, feast on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcggbD8EpAM

and what did Sean say in the end?

yeah. we absolutely need to keep all players who have such a video on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cXH6bEQdVw&feature=related

ivanfromwestwood
05-06-2011, 02:08 PM
any chance we resign him on the cheap. would rather have him than Blair at this point.

Budkin
05-06-2011, 02:10 PM
No.

Bruno
05-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Dallas has a team option on him for 2011-2012. It's a very low salary and Ian hasn't been that bad this year so I guess they will keep him one more year.

Maddog
05-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Dallas has a team option on him for 2011-2012. It's a very low salary and Ian hasn't been that bad this year so I guess they will keep him one more year.

for the price- I would keep him too if I was Dallas. As in SA he shows just enough to keep you interested.
I hope he improves- he seems like a good guy and works hard.