04-29-2009, 04:10 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_roger_mason.jpg

Roger Mason Jr | SG
Born: Sep 10, 1980
Height: 6-5 / 1,96
Weight: 212 lbs. / 96,2 kg.
College: Virginia
Years Pro: 4

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/roger_mason/index.html?nav=page)

to21
04-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Dude has a tremendous upside.

Kori Ellis
04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
I think they'll look to include him in any trade packages.

Spurs Brazil
04-29-2009, 04:28 PM

crc21209
04-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Keeper. With TP, Manu, and TD hopefully all healthy next year...and along with Hill, Mason, and some other guys...this team should be pretty damn good. He is a very good clutch shooter...which is sometimes hard to find in the league. He is strictly a SG Pop! :lol.

EricB
04-29-2009, 08:33 PM

I would trade him for Jefferson or Carter no question.

Anything else, I don't know what you can get that is better.

Manufan909
04-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Keeper. With TP, Manu, and TD hopefully all healthy next year...and along with Hill, Mason, and some other guys...this team should be pretty damn good. He is a very good clutch shooter...which is sometimes hard to find in the league. He is strictly a SG Pop! :lol.

Clutch in the reg seson is nice, but if it doesn't translate to the POs, then fuck him. Unless Fin retires, trade his ass.

SenorSpur
04-29-2009, 09:16 PM

Think they're that disappointed in him, already?

holcs50
04-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Use in a trade for sure. Sorry, we can't rely on almost a whole team of one-dimensional players.

benefactor
04-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Think they're that disappointed in him, already?
He is just way too limited. Pop had pretty high hopes for him the way he talked him up during training camp last year, but he would up being just what he is...a spot up shooter/off screen shooter.

Unless he takes it up a level, he is trade bait.

timvp
04-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Put him in Finley's role as solely a spot-up shooter and jettison Finley.

lefty
04-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Plain and simple: Keep him in his natural position of shooter for next season. He over thinks the point guard position. Keep him at the off guard/forward and his confidence will not be hurt like this season.

:tu

Strike
04-29-2009, 10:51 PM

+10 :tu

NewJerSpur
04-29-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm still in the minority as not being absolutely mortified at the prsopect of him running point (he was brought in as a combo), but his primary comfort zone was in coming off of screens or shooting open bombs at the 2 or 3. Could definitely see him coming in with a second unit to give the team some instant offense off of the bench and taking Finley's spot in that regard.

holcs50
04-29-2009, 11:00 PM
I would trade him for Jefferson or Carter no question.

Anything else, I don't know what you can get that is better.

:toast Trade mase,kt,bonner maybe bowen for VC, add Sheed on the cheap, get a SF with the MLE=:lobt2:

loveforthegame
04-29-2009, 11:03 PM
They were including him in some trade talks even before he struggled in the later part of the season and playoffs. I think they'll try trading him again if it brings in someone like Carter or Jefferson. It would allow Hill to play his normal position too.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-29-2009, 11:14 PM
As long as Pop doesn't have any inclinations about him running the point, fine. If Pop's going to go braindead and try it again, I hope we trade him.

SequSpur
04-29-2009, 11:54 PM
RM JR. is bad ass.... Blame Pop for his failure.

GioSugar
05-01-2009, 01:31 PM
He is not pg but he is not garbage too. I like to see him off bench and run a few plays for Roger. He is a good spot shooter.

MagnusKrauss
05-02-2009, 05:17 AM

+1000000000

genius post!

Chieflion
05-02-2009, 06:10 AM
Trade bait. No Richard Jefferson to the Spurs of course.

Stringer_Bell
05-02-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm not a professional b-ball fan, but I will submit Mason Jr. executes his plays well and his on court composure is consistent...what I like to see in Spurs players. If he knows his role, we can set him up in a way to rebuild his confidence after the back-up PG debacle. I saw nothing that would make me give up on him for next season. Trade bait? Better make it a big fish...

200 miles
05-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Would you trade Mason, Finley/Bonner and pick #37 for a mid-1st rounder to pick an athletic, defensive 2-guard like Terrence Williams?

Dr. Gonzo
05-02-2009, 04:11 PM
:toast Trade mase,kt,bonner maybe bowen for VC, add Sheed on the cheap, get a SF with the MLE=:lobt2:
Are you wanting this team to get older?

Buddy Holly
05-02-2009, 06:26 PM
According to McDonald he's going to be in the skills challenge at next years all-star game.

Marcus Bryant
05-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I think Mason got a raw deal at the end of this season. He helped carry this team this season. He belongs in the swingman rotation, Pop. Spurs fans who dismiss him need to figure it out.

tomtom
05-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Should be good no matter what they do with him, if he stays hopefully pop learns that he is a shooter and sticks with that, but on the other hand he could be a nice trading piece

SenorSpur
05-04-2009, 10:09 PM
He is just way too limited Pop had pretty high hopes for him the way he talked him up during training camp last year, but he would up being just what he is...a spot up shooter/off screen shooter.

Unless he takes it up a level, he is trade bait.

Clearly, Mason was productive in the role that he was in initially - a spot-up, shooting, 2 guard. It was when Pop elected to start tinkering with him at backup PG, is where he struggled. Sure he's limited defensively and is horrible at running the point. I don't care how much Pop talked him up, he had to be familiar with Mason's strengths and limitations when he brought him here. I'm not a big fan of this philosophy of position flexibility with players who do not have a varied skill set. Mason fits in well and can continue to be productive in the role that he had. Anything outside of that, he'll struggle.

That said, if they could package him for a slashing, SG or SF, who is in mid-career, that's fine too.

NewJerSpur
05-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Hopefully he can work on his dribble a bit in the offseason (or at least the maintenance of it when handling the ball) and make more of an attempt to drive to the basket. He proved to have pretty good court vision when he got deep penetration into the lane.

montgod
05-05-2009, 12:13 AM
If he hasn't hurt his trade value, I could easily see him being included in a trade for a big name player. Hopefully that wouldn't be someone like VC.

Ditty
05-05-2009, 12:20 AM
If he hasn't hurt his trade value, I could easily see him being included in a trade for a big name player. Hopefully that wouldn't be someone like VC.

vince carter can suck my left nut

if we ever get that has been i will never be a spurs fan ever again seriously

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Plain and simple: Keep him in his natural position of shooter for next season. He over thinks the point guard position. Keep him at the off guard/forward and his confidence will not be hurt like this season.

They are saying the same thing, and that's what I'd do. The guy is a deadly shooter, but he can't be a creator or a focus of the offence - he needs to be the guy catching passes from Tim/Tony/Manu/4th scorer and nailing that shit.

I'd like to see him stick around. Seems like a Spur to me.

mattyc
05-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I'd like to see him stick around. Seems like a Spur to me.

Most definitely. I think he's a guy that would be even better in his 2nd year in the system too.

rayray2k8
05-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Mason didn't get a fair shake at the end of the season and it's apparent that Hill will handle the back-up duties when Parker hits
the bench. Even if Hill can't struggles, we still have Manu who is able of handling the ball during crunch time.
I agree that Mason should stay at his natural position and has proven that he capable of hitting big shots.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Mason is a keeper for now. Our three point shooters are diminishing too much for us to jettison him or Bonner (With Bowen, Finley possibly leaving)

Bruno
05-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Mason has played Finley-like defense most of the season.
He really needs to put more focus on his defense if he wants to be a great role player.

NewJerSpur
05-12-2009, 05:45 PM
I agree..he was playing pt which threw off his game, instead of playing his natural position as sg. Hopefully he doesn't bring the ball up the court one time next yr.

It's going to happen at some point as most players (especially perimeter guys do due to different circumstances) so prepare yourself for that day.

I agree with Bruno on the defensive side of things, especially being that his defense was heralded more coming into the season in '08. He seemed decent early on in the year but struggled towards the end, as did much of the team.

Again, I hope he works on keeping his dribble when he's not coming off screens or spotting up and makes more of an effort to drive more next season because although he wasn't a great finisher at the rim he was a very good passer around the basket, often putting bigs in a position to get off high-percentage shots and even found other perimeter guys wide open for long distance shots....good court vision.

kobyz
05-12-2009, 06:02 PM
we not going to win a title with Mason part of the rotation, he has no defense at all and on offense he just have outside shot, he can't drive the ball or finish in the paint.
two years in a row he disappear in the playoffs - also in Washington it happened to him.
in Europe he was just an average player - he is not NBA level.

NewJerSpur
05-12-2009, 06:16 PM
we not going to win a title with Mason part of the rotation, he has no defense at all and on offense he just have outside shot, he can't drive the ball or finish in the paint.
two years in a row he disappear in the playoffs - also in Washington it happened to him.
in Europe he was just an average player - he is not NBA level.

We did alright with Steve Kerr whose primary asset was his jumper behind the arc and some others. A lot was placed on his plate and he didn't respond as well as the team needed him to (and Dallas closed out well on him as well) but I believe he can still improve. He had some big games earlier in the season and was clutch on many occasions and I think that will remain the same next season.

StoneBuddha
05-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Mason struggles when he has to create for others, but I'm quite happy with him as a shot maker after one of the big 3 (or the offense) has created something for him.

People's opinion of him went down drastically after the Dallas series but I view a lot of that as result of Mason being in a role he's not well suited for. His handle is not nearly good enough to be a back-up point guard or to consistently create offense in a playoff situation.

I agree his D seemed to slide the whole year-- I mean after the first Laker game, he was even receiving kudos for his D on Kobe. By the end of the year, he was sitting because he couldn't stay with JJ Barea. I do hope he works on his D, as this is a deficiency that is a lot harder to hide.

DPG21920
05-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I know I for one sorely over estimated his ball handling abilities. I thought he would have been much better (from all the times I watched him in WAS). It was a different system for the Wiz and his capabilities did not translate well into the Spurs system.

I agree with Bruno that he needs to focus on defense. He is not going to be great, but I do feel he could pay more attention to it.

Having said that, he did very well in his proper role and he can be a nice piece to the Spurs.

Spurs Brazil
10-18-2010, 02:05 PM
It looks like Mason Jr will spend another year with few minutes

Coach Mike D'Antoni had been saying that the competition for playing time at the backup wing spots was between Bill Walker, Landry Fields and Roger Mason, but only Fields has distinguished himself with any kind of consistency over the course of the first five exhibition games. The nice thing about using Douglas alongside Felton in the backcourt is that is forces the opposition to put a slower defender on one of the two.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/669/turns-out-toney-douglas-can-play-sg-after-all

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-18-2010, 02:44 PM
What about that 11-man rotation? :lol

DesignatedT
10-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Temple, Neal, Anderson, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mason

chazley
10-18-2010, 10:27 PM
My boy!!!

mingus
10-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Mason might be the worst player in the NBA. His specialty is three-point shooting and he sucks at it. i still can't get over the fact that he disrupted the team's chemistry last year by asking for a trade.

Chieflion
10-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Incredible.

lefty
10-20-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm going to the Knicks-Raptos game on Friday (in Montreal)

Since I`ll be seating courtside, I will probably get Mason to sign my Spurs jersey :D

toki9
10-20-2010, 09:14 PM
He hasn't played well for the Knicks this pre-season...he went 1-6 tonight in 18 minutes against the Sixers