Marcus Bryant
04-29-2009, 04:14 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_fabricio_oberto.jpg

Fabricio Oberto | PF/C
Born: Mar 21, 1975
Height: 6-10 / 2,08
Weight: 245 lbs. / 111,1 kg.
Years Pro: 3

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fabricio_oberto/index.html?nav=page)

to21
04-29-2009, 04:15 PM
If Gooden has a low BB IQ....does that mean Fab had a high BB IQ?

Cane
04-29-2009, 04:17 PM
I think Oberto would've done a much better job than the ghost that is Matt Bonner but his heart condition and lack of Ginobili doesn't help his chances of playtime.

I nearly forgot this guy was even on the team during the playoffs series.

Spurs Brazil
04-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Trade bait

chreph
04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
I would have liked to see him get Bonner's minutes on account of his passing ability and familiarity of playing with Tim. I hope it was being overly cautious about his heart condition and not Pop's love affair with Bonner that kept him on the bench

timvp
04-29-2009, 04:40 PM
His contract is only partially guaranteed. That means the Spurs will either release him or trade him. No way they decide to keep him for the entire value of his contract.

crc21209
04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Personally I think he would've helped a hell of lot more than Bonner so I would rather keep Fab over Bonner.

Rynospursfan
04-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Personally I think he would've helped a hell of lot more than Bonner so I would rather keep Fab over Bonner.

This is crazy talk. Most Spurs fans want to get younger, Bonner is one of our younger players and he got some great experience this year. Meanwhile Oberto needs to decide if he is going to retire or not.

crc21209
04-29-2009, 06:18 PM
This is crazy talk. Most Spurs fans want to get younger, Bonner is one of our younger players and he got some great experience this year. Meanwhile Oberto needs to decide if he is going to retire or not.

Oberto runs the hi/low with TD very well...and has a great basketball IQ and was always at the right place for a putback or a rebound/tip out rebound all the time. While Bonner was getting owned on the defensive end at times and couldnt hit shit on the offensive end. I would have liked to see what Fab was made of this past series over Bonner..since he flopped.

Ditty
04-29-2009, 06:36 PM
hope he retires

Mel_13
04-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Smart and tough complimentary player but now is the time to part company. Thanks, Fab

EricB
04-29-2009, 08:22 PM
2010 contract. I could see Fab being a trade piece to make numbers work.

Mason, Oberto, whatever else for Carter? :spin

ManuTP9
04-29-2009, 08:26 PM
hope he retires

+ 1 yes he does have good bball iq but we need to get younger.

DAF86
04-29-2009, 09:57 PM
His contract is only partially guaranteed. That means the Spurs will either release him or trade him. No way they decide to keep him for the entire value of his contract.

Agreed.

SequSpur
04-29-2009, 11:59 PM
bye Fab

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-30-2009, 03:15 AM
One of the players I enjoy watching the most, smart, remarkable BB IQ, unfortunately hasn't been blessed with a better body for NBA standards. Time to part ways.

timvp
05-06-2009, 08:01 PM
If Oberto retires due to his heart condition, is there a scenario in which his entire salary comes off the books so the Spurs can get extra room under the lux tax threshold?

Bruno
05-06-2009, 08:25 PM
If Oberto retires due to his heart condition, is there a scenario in which his entire salary comes off the books so the Spurs can get extra room under the lux tax threshold?

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q53

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is not included in the team's team salary. This is when a player is forced to retire for medical reasons and a league-appointed physician confirms that he is medically unfit to continue playing. There is a waiting period of one year following the injury or illness before a team can apply for this salary cap relief. If the waiting period expires mid-season (on any date prior to the last day of the regular season), then the player's entire salary for that season is removed from the team's team salary. For example, in March 2003 the Knicks were allowed to remove Luc Longley's entire 2002-03 salary from their books (and since the luxury tax is based on the team salary as of the last day of the regular season, the Knicks avoided paying any tax on Longley's salary). This provision can also be used when a player dies while under contract.

Now the question is when start the one year period following the illness?

If the start of this period is Oberto's last game played, Spurs won't get any cap relief if Oberto medically retires.
If the start of this period is Oberto heart trouble in late March, Spurs will get cap relief if Oberto medically retires.

timvp
05-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Interesting. I wonder if Oberto will retire. Everything points to his heart trouble being relatively minor but it still can't be the safest thing to play with a trick heart. If he wants to continue playing, I'm sure there are teams out there that would consider signing him. The Hornets make sense. Playing for the Lakers in the triangle would also be a good fit.

But maybe he'll want to retire. He didn't exactly play this past season with an abundance of fire . . .

Capt Bringdown
05-06-2009, 08:49 PM
There were some players, such as Sidney Green, that you feel almost offended to see in a Spurs uniform.
Oberto is such a player.
Good riddance.

tp2021
05-06-2009, 08:54 PM
There were some players, such as Sidney Green, that you feel almost offended to see in a Spurs uniform.
Oberto is such a player.
Good riddance.

Fuck you. Seriously.

timvp
05-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Oberto is such a player.
Good riddance.I assume you were born after the 2007 playoffs.

Russ
05-06-2009, 08:57 PM

:flag:

Capt Bringdown
05-06-2009, 09:06 PM
I assume you were born after the 2007 playoffs.

You would assume wrong. I've got shoes older than you, kid. :p:
Looking at the present and past through rose-colored glasses has it's limits. Oberto has more often been a liabilty than not. The Spurs won in 2007 despite him, not because of anything he did on the court IMO.

Fuck you. Seriously.Are you related to Oberto? Argentian perhaps? Why the immature aggro? Welcome to my ignore list.

montgod
05-06-2009, 09:45 PM
hope he retires

+1

I really think he should with his heart issues. He has had a good career.

lurker23
05-06-2009, 10:40 PM
I assume you were born after the 2007 playoffs.

:tu

Oberto has been a good player in this system, but one that takes a relatively keen eye to appreciate. He isn't flashy, he isn't athletic, and he won't really do anything to get your attention, but darned if he doesn't play solid defense and exhibit a fairly consistent offensive game that melds well with the Big 3. Oberto is extremely adept (when getting solid minutes) at getting his 10 and 6 without hindering anyone else's offensive game one iota. He knows when to stay out of the way, and when to flash to the rim and get an easy layup off a double-team on Timmy.

All this being said, Oberto fell out of the rotation this year, and his contract is extremely favorable for a trade. Like Bowen, he can be traded for players with relatively high salaries, while costing the other team much less in real money and nothing in cap space. I expect him and/or Bowen to be traded before free agency.

BWS-1994
05-06-2009, 10:56 PM
If Oberto is released but still wants to play, what are the chances that he ends up in Houston or Sacramento?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Oberto is D-O-N-E, but thanks for 2007 Fab, you were great that year. :toast

Capt Bringdown
05-07-2009, 02:38 AM
Oberto tagged along in '07. A stop-gap measure at best. 5.6 pts and 4.9 rebounds...hmm, great? Really? We could have won the title without him.

Most of his numbers that year were put up during the Utah series, which had our highest margin of victory and therefore the most garbage time. He was a non-factor against tougher opponents.

He was better than Elsen, that's probably the most that can be said about Oberto. With his lack of athleticism and game in general, I'll be glad to see his departure. We desperately need to move on from these kinds of stiffs, fan favorites or not.

mosdef17
05-07-2009, 03:05 AM
I really don't mind Fab, I think his current roster spot could be better spent but in past years when he was starting centre I thought he did compliment Tim Duncan quite well. Obviously his range is quite limited but he always found himself in the right spot for the signature catch and reverse layup off a Tim Duncan high post bullet pass. I remember 2 years ago when he shot 9/9 from the field vs. Phoenix, that was pretty awesome.

I think it is time for him to leave now though, the NBA has changed since he has joined it and his value has sunk as a rush on Athletic and Long big men off the bench.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-07-2009, 03:57 AM
Oberto tagged along in '07. A stop-gap measure at best. 5.6 pts and 4.9 rebounds...hmm, great? Really? We could have won the title without him.

Most of his numbers that year were put up during the Utah series, which had our highest margin of victory and therefore the most garbage time. He was a non-factor against tougher opponents.

He was better than Elsen, that's probably the most that can be said about Oberto. With his lack of athleticism and game in general, I'll be glad to see his departure. We desperately need to move on from these kinds of stiffs, fan favorites or not.

Fab's contributions were never statistical.

In 2007 he was a very good one-on-one defender, a rugged hustle guy, and when the offense stagnated he'd often be the one to get people moving again with his smart cuts and passes.

He was a solid contributor in that 2007 team, and excellent in the Finals along with TP. It's time for him to move on, but I think the emboldened bit is unfair.

Cane
05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Yea, if it wasn't for Oberto's heart condition he'd likely would have done far better than Bonner especially in the Playoffs.

But his heart condition just isn't good trade bait material so we'll see what happens. one thing's for sure, if Bonner is still a starter the Spurs are not WCF contendors.

angelbelow
05-08-2009, 01:35 AM
he served us loyally but its time to go.