04-29-2009, 04:16 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_kurt_thomas.jpg

Kurt Thomas | PF/C
Born: Oct 4, 1972
Height: 6-9 / 2,06
Weight: 235 lbs. / 106,6 kg.
College: Texas Christian
Years Pro: 13

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kurt_thomas/index.html?nav=page)

to21
04-29-2009, 04:18 PM
No thanks.

crc21209
04-29-2009, 06:11 PM
MAYBE one more year. Not sure....

Manufan909
04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I'd be fine with him playing next season, mentoring Ian in the way of the bone-shattering screen.:hat

EricB
04-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Trade for Travis Outlaw. Nothing more need be said.

Why would Portland do that...

J_Paco
04-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Why would Portland do that...

Well, although Paul Allen is filthy rich, Portland is very close if not past the luxury tax threshold (due to Darius Miles' contract being bach on the books). I could see Portland shedding some contracts to extend Aldridge and Roy, going after a veteran player or just needing cap relief in general. Going after Travis Outlaw could be a sound decision.

Oh, I would miss Kurt's ability to spread the floor with his mid-range jumper, but it could take him nearly 2-3 months into the season to get rolling, again.

tomtom
04-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Meh I say drop him as soon as his contracts up

timvp
04-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Thomas isn't totally worthless. The Mavs were a horrible matchup for him. If the Spurs had faced a team with a big center (Yao, Gasol/Bynum, Nene, Shaq, Ilgauskas, etc.) then he would have been much more useful.

Next season, as long as the Spurs get a starting quality big, you can rotate Thomas and Bonner off the bench.

ChumpDumper
04-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Maybe if you get someone like Rahso or Zaza, you can trade Thomas. His skill set and IQ would be difficult to replicate.

NewJerSpur
04-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Is Gist coming over next year? And if so would they be the starting frontcourt for the 2nd unit? How will age factor into his minutes?

holcs50
04-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Trade along with mason and bonner. We don't need 37 year olds off the bench

ChumpDumper
04-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Is Gist coming over next year? And if so would they be the starting frontcourt for the 2nd unit? How will age factor into his minutes?Can't really project anything about Gist. I would pencil in Matt or Ian ahead of Gist if he made the team.

NewJerSpur
04-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Can't really project anything about Gist. I would pencil in Matt or Ian ahead of Gist if he made the team.

Gotcha'.

We do need some post-up play in the 2nd unit though for some versitility on offense. I know Bonner doesn't fit that description and I figured Ian might start with Tim, that's why I brought up Gist....but I really don't know much about his game.

SequSpur
04-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Has been a bust, he's done, see ya.

exstatic
04-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Thomas is a fucking PIMP. He's a solid post defender and rebounder. What surprised me were some of the other defensive matchups he did well with. The last game against OKC, Jeff Green got NOWHERE on him, and he did a decent job on Dirk when he was in the games against Dallas.

Kurt Thomas was close to my favorite Spur this year. Any time he got extended minutes this year with Tim out, a double double was either in the books or damn close.

tp2021
04-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Anyone dogging KT obviously didn't watch the games this year. He's been solid and then some.

EricB
04-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Thomas is a fucking PIMP. He's a solid post defender and rebounder. What surprised me were some of the other defensive matchups he did well with. The last game against OKC, Jeff Green got NOWHERE on him, and he did a decent job on Dirk when he was in the games against Dallas.

Kurt Thomas was close to my favorite Spur this year. Any time he got extended minutes this year with Tim out, a double double was either in the books or damn close.

Exactly.

KT is still a damn good player.

IMO he didn't shoot enough in game 5, that jumper could've opened things up a tad.

timtonymanu
05-03-2009, 06:29 PM
The only old guys worth keeping are Thomas and Bowen.

Thomas was a ghost in the Mavs series, but he's still someone the Spurs need.

timvp
05-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Thomas was damn good in the second half of the season. He did suck in the playoffs, though. What's weird is he played like a rookie ... lots of hurried/loose passes, dumb fouls, bad shots, etc.

But yeah, for a regular season player, he should have one good year left in the tank. His contract is fair and he would likely help the team against certain opponents in the playoffs. If the Spurs didn't at least have him as a somewhat dependable big, they'd have no choice but to blow their load on a bigman this summer.

ducks
05-03-2009, 06:55 PM
sets SOLID screens

HarlemHeat37
05-03-2009, 06:58 PM
What people have to understand is that we CAN still have old guys on the team, we just need young guys at their position to off-set them, and we have to allow them to play a small amount of minutes..

I want Bowen and Thomas being the main old guys on the team, and I want them to get about 15 MPG..they would still be able to play at a high level for 15 MPG..

we need Finley to retire, that's going to be big..no re-signing Ime, Vaughn and Oberto are gone..those are the roster spots that we'll need to replace with young players..

Bruno
05-03-2009, 07:02 PM
My main concern about Thomas is that he is too expensive. At $2M, he would be nice role player. At $3.8M, it is simply too much for a 37 years old slow undersized center.

HarlemHeat37
05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Definitely, and I think most people agree that if we can package him for something in return, the FO should obviously do it.

Yuushi12
05-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Exactly.

KT is still a damn good player.

IMO he didn't shoot enough in game 5, that jumper could've opened things up a tad.

+1 but there are also some games when he's showing signs of being old
i dont blame him though, major props for the guy :toast

05-03-2009, 11:31 PM
thomas is more suited for traditional post players. players like shaq, duncan, gasol, and howard. he is practically useless against dirk, west, and boozer. spot minutes for him next season and a veteran presence is good. he can also step in if duncan gets injured or just wants to rest.

Knoxxx
05-17-2009, 11:15 AM
My main concern about Thomas is that he is too expensive. At $2M, he would be nice role player. At $3.8M, it is simply too much for a 37 years old slow undersized center.

Aha, someone who agrees 100% with my take! Bruno, what does that additional money mean for us this summer? Seems to me it could cost us a better MLE big like Rasheed Wallace, if Finley comes back.

I notice there are plenty of others that agree, they just don't get into a lengthy analysis of how solid KT is like the pro-KT crowd, LOL. I don't think too many of us think is is totally worthless, just pricey and cap-limiting for a team as cheap as the Spurs.

tav1
05-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Aha, someone who agrees 100% with my take! Bruno, what does that additional money mean for us this summer? Seems to me it could cost us a better MLE big like Rasheed Wallace, if Finley comes back.

I notice there are plenty of others that agree, they just don't get into a lengthy analysis of how solid KT is like the pro-KT crowd, LOL. I don't think too many of us think is is totally worthless, just pricey and cap-limiting for a team as cheap as the Spurs.

The extra money means nothing. 4 million is fair. If the Spurs paid him 2, they'd still be working with MLE this summer. Maybe he is a little overpaid. But it's a pointless discussion.

Mel_13
05-17-2009, 12:22 PM

FOs and message board posters could be much smarter with the benefit of hindsight, but that is not how real world decisions are made. Right now, after the 2008-09 season and playoffs, if the Spurs had a 4M salary slot to use on a big, there would probably be very few that would call for signing KT if he was a FA this summer.

But he was a FA last summer, and the FO based their decision, and Spurstalk gave its reaction, based on the facts that existed then. These two threads were started when KT was signed and then when the terms were announced. The overwhelming consensus, AT THE TIME, was that it was a good deal for the Spurs.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101753

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101826

Multiyear deals can develop into bargains or disasters. Not all bargains were objectively smart deals when they were made and not all disasters were stupid moves when signed.

Lets look at a deal that the Spurs made for which the FO and the player were all but unanimously hailed at the time. Coming off their 4th championship, the Spurs and Tim Duncan agreed to a two-year extension to his existing deal which would pay him a total of about 40M for the 2010-11 and the 2011-12 seasons. Duncan took about 10M less than the max and nearly all of Spursville celebrated. Well, what if Tim's knee issues continue to worsen? Will there be threads started in the summer of 2011 lamenting the stupidity of the FO for paying Tim 22M in the last year of his contract? I'll bet there will be.

KT's deal made sense when it was made. The Spurs can trade him or play him but they can't make his deal disappear, just as they will have to live with the consequences of Tim's deal no matter what it looks like 2 yrs from now.

Bruno
05-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Thomas being or not overpaid has consequences if Spurs start doing trades.
If Spurs FO thinks he is overpaid, he will be one of the first to be included in a trade.

rayray2k8
05-17-2009, 12:59 PM
So you wanna keep Thomas? I wouldn't mind keeping the veteran in our line-up for the playoffs.

exstatic
05-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Thomas being or not overpaid has consequences if Spurs start doing trades.
If Spurs FO thinks he is overpaid, he will be one of the first to be included in a trade.

I rarely disagree with you Bruno, but any Spur on an ending contract next year has a high probability of being traded, overpaid or not. Ending contracts are going to be a huge commodity on the trade market this summer as everyone scrambles to get in on 2010.

GioSugar
05-17-2009, 03:25 PM
I also believe that he is overpaid. I just don't know why a team could shop him. Any help?
I really don't know. Just because he is an ending contract? He contract is guaranteed , so what is the benefit for a team to shop him?

Bruno
05-17-2009, 03:48 PM
I rarely disagree with you Bruno, but any Spur on an ending contract next year has a high probability of being traded, overpaid or not. Ending contracts are going to be a huge commodity on the trade market this summer as everyone scrambles to get in on 2010.

I agree that they all have a high probability but unless Spurs trade for players with a combined salary of $20M, some of the players with expiring contracts will stay. Luxury tax will also be a factor, so Spurs will closely look at the salaries of the players they keep.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-17-2009, 11:48 PM

Me too. He was the third best Spur this year after Tim and Tony. Glad we have him for another year.

Anyone dogging KT obviously didn't watch the games this year. He's been solid and then some.

Exactly. He had a horrid first month, then rounded into excellent form.

benefactor
05-18-2009, 08:57 AM
He may be making a little much for his age but the fact of the matter is that big men aren't just laying around everywhere. After he got back into shape after his injury he was the second best big on this team. KT is a known commodity and I would only move him if we were sure we were getting something better than average to go on our front line in return.

loveforthegame
09-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Fisher from db.com hints that the Mavs are likely to trade Greg Buckner to Milwaukee for Kurt Thomas.

buttsR4rebounding
09-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Fisher from db.com hints that the Mavs are likely to trade Greg Buckner to Milwaukee for Kurt Thomas.

That would be a good move for the Mavs. They are really hurting in the middle, but why would the Bucks do that? Surely they don't think Buckner has anything left...

tp2021
09-13-2009, 08:01 PM
That would be a good move for the Mavs. They are really hurting in the middle, but why would the Bucks do that? Surely they don't think Buckner has anything left...

A larger expiring contract may be of use at the trade deadline, but that's a guess.

ss1986v2
09-14-2009, 12:06 AM

buckners contract is only partially guaranteed the next two years. if waived, he is only due about a mil each of the next two years. dont know if they would go for that, but thats only because i have no idea in hell what the bucks are doing right now. seems like they have no direction at all.

Mel_13
09-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Dallas waived Buckner today.