04-29-2009, 04:19 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_marcus_e_williams.jpg

Marcus Williams | SG/SF
Born: Nov 18, 1986
Height: 6-7 / 2,01
Weight: 207 lbs. / 93,9 kg.
College: Arizona
Years Pro: 1

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marcus_e_williams/index.html?nav=page)

TheProfessor
04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
He and Hairston should be in camp, and I hope they show enough development to make the team.

timvp
04-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Summer league will be key. He had some monster games in Austin but summer league is a higher caliber of competition. If he can shine in that environment, then I'd feel more confident about him having a role with this team going forward.

ChumpDumper
04-29-2009, 04:42 PM
He still needs to overhaul his jumper. He improved his drives to the rim but needs to be a stronger finisher. He handled the point decently well in a lot of pressure situations in the D-League, but asking him to do the same in the NBA would be a pretty tall order. He's learning to compensate for his lack of quickness on D with his length. I look forward to seeing him in summer league.

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2009, 04:46 PM
the pic you posted, is that recent? cause he looks fkn featherweight man.....

ChumpDumper
04-29-2009, 05:00 PM
From two weeks ago:

http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/stampede_toros_090415_11.jpg

Still skinny.

And no, I didn't take the picture.

timvp
04-29-2009, 05:05 PM
And no, I didn't take the picture.:lol

CD, do you think Williams has a chance to be a rotation player next year? I can't imagine him making that sort of leap but statistically he looked promising on the Toros.

And that kinda sucks that the Spurs had to sign him to protect him at the end of last season ... but by signing him, he's no longer eligible for D-League next year if he's under contract with the Spurs.

So I'm assuming either he shines in the summer league or the Spurs don't even bother keeping him next year since a developmental spot would be better used towards a D-League eligible player.

ChumpDumper
04-29-2009, 05:10 PM
I still don't think he does any one thing well enough to stay on the floor in the NBA right now. If they plan on keeping him through training camp, it seems like now would be a great time to overhaul his shot. That and his finishes seem to be the most improvable traits over the summer.

Libri
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
I still don't think he does any one thing well enough to stay on the floor in the NBA right now. If they plan on keeping him through training camp, it seems like now would be a great time to overhaul his shot. That and his finishes seem to be the most improvable traits over the summer.

Why didn't he overhaul his shot the first time he was with the Spurs? If he can't make shots, then Pop will not waste time on him. Isn't that what happened to Tolliver?

Manufan909
04-29-2009, 06:40 PM
the pic you posted, is that recent? cause he looks fkn featherweight man.....

Did you see him against Portland? He makes Durant look like Lebron.

Ditty
04-29-2009, 06:44 PM
love this kid

hope he makes the team espically if finley retires

and bowen ends up hanging it up and being a defense coach for the spurs

ChumpDumper
04-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Why didn't he overhaul his shot the first time he was with the Spurs?It doesn't look quite as horrible as before, and he was only with the Spurs a few weeks. If he is with them for the entire summer, that's a different story.

tav1
04-29-2009, 06:56 PM
I've said this before, but I think if Williams makes the team it will be in more of a point guard role. I know he's actually a 3, but he'd advance the ball and initiate the offense and so forth. I'm not sure he can do that, but I do know that Quin Snyder was helping him with precisely that role. He played point forward in Austin. Demps and Lindsey liked what they saw, obviously. And honestly, he had me seriously considering the possibility near the end of the season. He didn't look too bad. Anyway, if he sticks it will be as a replacement for Vaughn.

My 2 cents.

TheProfessor
04-29-2009, 09:44 PM
I've said this before, but I think if Williams makes the team it will be in more of a point guard role. I know he's actually a 3, but he'd advance the ball and initiate the offense and so forth. I'm not sure he can do that, but I do know that Quin Snyder was helping him with precisely that role. He played point forward in Austin. Demps and Lindsey liked what they saw, obviously. And honestly, he had me seriously considering the possibility near the end of the season. He didn't look too bad. Anyway, if he sticks it will be as a replacement for Vaughn.

My 2 cents.
Agree with the idea, just don't know how likely it is. Would be nice to see him bring the ball up and initiate with Hill working off the ball, but still guarding PG's.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2009, 12:09 AM
I can only imagine the Spurs would plan on Williams' handling the ball quite a bit as a Spur -- he did it almost exclusive of all other players for the Toros.

spursbird
04-30-2009, 12:12 AM
He has too many turnovers... Or he can just improve his 3pt shoot cauz Spurs only use small forwards as 3pt shooters.

NewJerSpur
04-30-2009, 12:25 AM
I can only imagine the Spurs would plan on Williams' handling the ball quite a bit as a Spur -- he did it almost exclusive of all other players for the Toros.

Sort of Grant Hill-esque with regard to the point forward role?

ChumpDumper
04-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Sort of Grant Hill-esque with regard to the point forward role?Kind of like that. His passing is his by far best attribute running the point. That led to the Toros' increasingly forcing him to do everything else a point guard does over the season.

I was impressed that they rarely switched his assignments on defense and kept him on smaller, quicker guards. Usually if they did make a switch, it was because they needed Marcus to guard someone else who was getting hot.

NewJerSpur
04-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Very interesting. Thanks for the info ChumpDumper.

Manufan909
04-30-2009, 01:38 AM
Kind of like that. His passing is his by far best attribute running the point. That led to the Toros' increasingly forcing him to do everything else a point guard does over the season.

I was impressed that they rarely switched his assignments on defense and kept him on smaller, quicker guards. Usually if they did make a switch, it was because they needed Marcus to guard someone else who was getting hot.

So who do you think is the more versatile defender, Hairston or Williams?

ChumpDumper
04-30-2009, 01:44 AM
Hairston can cover players larger and stronger than himself. Williams can cover players smaller and quicker than himself. Overall, I'd say Hairston is more versatile.