PDA

View Full Version : Head Coach: Gregg Popovich

Marcus Bryant
04-29-2009, 04:24 PM
http://dimemag.com/wp-content/Images/coaches/_Gregg%20Popovich.JPG

Gregg Popovich | HC
Born: Jan 28, 1949
College: Air Force Academy

bio (http://www.nba.com/coachfile/gregg_popovich/index.html?nav=page)

TheProfessor
04-29-2009, 04:26 PM
:lol We need a P.J. Carlesimo thread.

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2009, 04:56 PM
dude im sure theres a better pic out there than the one you posted lol

looks like hanibal man.....

TDomination
04-29-2009, 04:56 PM
get rid of the beard

xtremesteven33
04-29-2009, 05:05 PM
The most interesting man in the World.

Marcus Bryant
04-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Pop has said that he'll hang it up whenever TD retires. One can certainly understand that sentiment. I do think we should examine where Pop stands as a coach today, his strengths and weaknesses, and how he will likely approach coaching as Parker emerges more and more as the focal point of the Spurs' offense.

SA210
04-29-2009, 05:18 PM
:pop::pctoss

Creation88
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
bring back PJ! end Pop stubborness!

neboat
04-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Pop did not act as a stabilizing force this year, when the team really needed him due to the injuries. He contributed to the chaos with constant line-up changes and head scratching decisions. His insistence on giving major mins to Finley and Bonner and not playing Bowen, resulting in some of the worst Spurs defense I've ever seen, was mind boggling. His experiment in playing Mason as backup PG was not smart, especially when he had a much better option in Hill. All he did was hurt Mason's confidence. Lastly, what was the point of buying the Toros if all you do is bring in D-league guys but not give them a chance to succeed?

crc21209
04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Pop and this team won 54 games with Manu basically out for the entire year almost and TD with tendonosis in his knee. And people still want him out? You gotta be outta your mind...he is one of the best coaches of all-time.

Manufan909
04-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Pop and this team won 54 games with Manu basically out for the entire year almost and TD with tendonosis in his knee. And people still want him out? You gotta be outta your mind...he is one of the best coaches of all-time.

But... but.. MASON AT PG!!!:p:

Bukefal
04-29-2009, 06:34 PM
The greatest coach in the world :toast the best we have!

Ditty
04-29-2009, 06:45 PM
bring back pj

Mel_13
04-29-2009, 06:46 PM

:toast

I especially love the posts where they would demand that the media pressure Pop to answer tough questions about rotations, Finley, Bonner, etc.

I would always imagine someone like McDonald trying to go all hardcore investigative journalist on Pop and getting a response something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

Marcus Bryant
04-29-2009, 06:50 PM
There's gotta be a good montage of Pop on YouTube responding to the press.

Mel_13
04-29-2009, 07:32 PM
There's gotta be a good montage of Pop on YouTube responding to the press.

My favorite was when he was asked, I think right after GM4 against the Cavs, about finally going B2B. His response: I don't give a s@#t.

Spursmania
04-29-2009, 07:37 PM
My favorite was when he was asked, I think right after GM4 against the Cavs, about finally going B2B. His response: I don't give a s@#t.

That certainly was classic:lol

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2009, 07:58 PM
If Pop got fired, we would be the laughing stock of the NBA..

SequSpur
04-30-2009, 12:00 AM
http://brotherpeacemaker.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/head_up_your_ass.jpg

EricB
04-30-2009, 12:13 AM
lol john lucas

SA210
04-30-2009, 01:38 AM
http://brotherpeacemaker.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/head_up_your_ass.jpg

:lol I wondered where the old Pop went.

EVAY
04-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Let's not get silly. We all know Pop is tops and will remain here as long as he wants to do so.

Having said that, however, he was not at his best this year, and i think that he needs a really, really strong assistant, like he had with Carlesimo, to challenge him (successfully - he ignores most advice), especially on offense and personnel decisions. I was upset at his exit interview when he seemed to imply that nothing would change in the basic offensive scheme. My problem with that is Tim's knee health. He just gets ground up in the low post, and everybody in the league has had 10 years to adjust to how to play him.

I think we need to change the basic offensive set to focus more and more on the guards, with Tim playing more of a backup role (not timewise or who is the best power forward in history - just recognizing the cost of the years on him and the changes the league has made to move away from his strengths), having him handle the ball a little less, do more catch-and-shoot (no big man in the league is better than him at that) and just not beating him up so much with the "give it to teemy, everybody clear out, and let him force his body against the bigger, younger centers that are grinding his knees into dust.

The prob as I see it is that Pop is not apt to psychologically be able to make the changes with Tim's role that he had no problem making with Robinson when Tim appeared on the scene. When Tim came here, Pop got David to change his role on the team. David did, and the team benefited. Can Pop ask that of Duncan? I don't think that he can, unless he has an assistant whom he respects and who will tell how to get it done.

EricB
04-30-2009, 05:33 PM
i think that he needs a really, really strong assistant, like he had with Carlesimo,

PJ was never the head assistant.

Budenholzer always has been his top guy.

ManuTP9
04-30-2009, 05:53 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2j17ucg.jpg

EricB
04-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Not keeping the santa clause beard was a jip.

Go long, or don't grow at all.

That being said he supposedly doesn't shave in the summer, that beard is gonna be crazy long in October.

objective
05-01-2009, 04:34 PM
DX has a blurb about CSKA coach Ettore Messina being their top free agent and that NBA eyes will be focused on him. He's had his name bandied about before with regards to euro coaches who could come to the NBA but first serve as assistants before becoming NBA head coaches.

If Budenholzer is gone, bring in Messina.

EricB
05-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Is Messina that good of a coach?

TheProfessor
05-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Weren't the Raptors looking at Messina?

EVAY
05-02-2009, 08:27 PM
PJ was never the head assistant.

Budenholzer always has been his top guy.

I'm not sure that your observation, however valid, (and I don't dispute it), precludes my point that Pop needs a strong assistant that he listens to.

It has been my experience in business that the most influential staff person is not always the next in line. It is whoever "gels" with the head guy, whose arguments make the most sense to the head guy, who the head guy respects the most. It doesn't always matter what the organization chart says. I just believe that Pop needs a voice other than his own to listen to at times, and I don't think that Budenholzer is that guy for Pop...and when Carlesimo (I don't know them well enough to know them by their first names) was here, I believe that he was that guy. Maybe it is different in a basketball situation than it was in business. I defer to your basketball knowledge.

objective
05-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Bud only moved up into the 1st AC spot after PJ left.

When PJ was here, he took over after ejections, he did the pre-game radio interview instead of being stuck rotating the postgame like the bottom 2 assistants, etc.

Bud was trusted, but it took many years of being in the league to gain the responsibility of first AC.

Bud has nothing on his resume outside the Spurs except playing at Pomona-Pitzer and a year of small-time women's euro ball. Even though Pop liked his PP connections, he's had to put in a lot of years to move up the chairs to where he is now.

EricB
05-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Bud only moved up into the 1st AC spot after PJ left.

When PJ was here, he took over after ejections, he did the pre-game radio interview instead of being stuck rotating the postgame like the bottom 2 assistants, etc.

Bud was trusted, but it took many years of being in the league to gain the responsibility of first AC.

Bud has nothing on his resume outside the Spurs except playing at Pomona-Pitzer and a year of small-time women's euro ball. Even though Pop liked his PP connections, he's had to put in a lot of years to move up the chairs to where he is now.

Trust me.

Mike Bud has been the lead assistant for a long time, and has always been Pop's right hand man.

PJ really didn't do much in his time in SA.