PDA

View Full Version : NBA Closely Monitoring Swine Flu

duncan228
04-29-2009, 11:46 PM
NBA closely monitoring swine flu (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/04/29/swine.flu.nba/index.html)
By Chris Mannix, SI.com

LOS ANGELES -- With concerns over the spread of the swine flu forcing the cancellation of all public school sporting events in Texas through May 11th, the NBA is keeping a close eye on the situation in case the impact of the disease effects the 2009 postseason. With two Texas teams still playing -- the Dallas Mavericks, which advanced to the second round after defeating San Antonio on Tuesday; and the Houston Rockets, which play Game 6 of their first round series against Portland on Thursday -- the league has kept an open line of communication with federal health officials.

"We are monitoring this very closely and following all of the advice of the CDC and the World Health Organization," said NBA spokesman Tim Frank. "There has been no suggestion or direction from any government or health officials that public gatherings should be cancelled or avoided."

On Wednesday the Rockets issued a statement through the Toyota Center.

"We are aware of the situation and concerned for all involved," the statement read. "We have been working with city health officials and the mayor's office, as well as monitoring the situation from state and regional authorities. At this time, Toyota Center has been advised to continue its normal operations pertaining to Rockets and Aeros playoff games as well as concerts. We will continue communicating with the various agencies and will keep our fans apprised if any operational changes are implemented based on the directives we receive from local authorities."

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said in an email to SI.com Wednesday night that the Mavericks were closely monitoring the situation but weren't taking any specific precautions at this time.

"We are keeping up with all health alerts," said Cuban. "Its a moving target that we will keep close tabs on."

There have been 16 confirmed cases of swine flu in Texas since the outbreak began earlier this month. On Wednesday a two-year old Mexican boy who had been visiting Texas since April 4 became the first U.S. fatality linked to the disease.

BUMP
04-30-2009, 12:54 AM
my GF is being checked for it right now and is in the hospital. which is why i havent really been posting a lot lately.

She's so scared that nothing i say seems to work. I hate seeing her like this :depressed

kamikazi_player
04-30-2009, 12:56 AM
my GF is being checked for it right now and is in the hospital. which is why i havent really been posting a lot lately.

She's so scared that nothing i say seems to work. I hate seeing her like this :depressed
Hope she's ok...god bless

kamikazi_player
04-30-2009, 12:59 AM
There are incidents involving the flu down here in so-cal. I hope it doesn't spread around my area.

IronMexican
04-30-2009, 01:02 AM
Fucking Eduardo Najera brought it over.

timvp
04-30-2009, 01:56 AM
2009 NBA Champion*

*Swine flu outbreak

Ghazi
04-30-2009, 01:58 AM
lol

duncan228
04-30-2009, 02:29 AM

Hope she's okay BUMP. Keep us posted.

Cry Havoc
04-30-2009, 02:56 AM
2009 NBA Champion*

*Swine flu outbreak

:lmao!!!!!!!!!
:rollin
:downspin:
:lol

Jacob1983
04-30-2009, 02:58 AM
What would you think of Stern if he moved the Dallas home games in the 2nd round series against the Nuggets out of Texas?

Cry Havoc
04-30-2009, 02:58 AM

No one with proper medical treatment has died yet. Tell her to relax. The best thing for her immune system is if she just attempts to be as positive as possible.

This is nothing in terms of individual danger like Ebola or any hemorrhagic fever. The survival prognosis is extremely high.

BUMP
04-30-2009, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the condolences guys but it really isn't a big deal. She's gonna be fine even if she ends up having swine. I've had to stay at the hospital a lot lately though.

And yeah this really is nothing. The only kid that died in the US was a 2-year old while the regular flu can kill babies as well.

mavs>spurs2
04-30-2009, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the condolences guys but it really isn't a big deal. She's gonna be fine even if she ends up having swine. I've had to stay at the hospital a lot lately though.

And yeah this really is nothing. The only kid that died in the US was a 2-year old while the regular flu can kill babies as well.

Yeah I also don't get why everyone is freaking out, unless I'm missing something the flu is only deadly to people with weakened immune systems such as the young and elderly, people with aids, etc.

Rogue
04-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Yeah I also don't get why everyone is freaking out, unless I'm missing something the flu is only deadly to people with weakened immune systems such as the young and elderly, people with aids, etc.
I'm afraid the flu is far more severe than you have expected... It wouldn't have aroused such a social concern if its greies were just weakened persons. Haven't you noticed the prizes of pork have already dropped to the bottom of what the grocers can accept? :lol

Swine Flu might be even more dangerous than the Bird Flu or even the SARS, it isn't a big issue for vegans though.

pauls931
04-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Seriously, I think this is overblown. Most of the people are getting better with no treatment(in the US anyway), one required a visit to the hospital, and unfortunately one 22mo kid died, but the normal flu kills kids, and the elderly all the time...

Cane
04-30-2009, 09:13 AM
At this point there isn't much too worry about unless you're an unhealthy Mexican or one that doesn't have access to medical facilities...which unfortunately is a lot of people. Or if you're a toddler.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-30-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm afraid the flu is far more severe than you have expected... It wouldn't have aroused such a social concern if its greies were just weakened persons. Haven't you noticed the prizes of pork have already dropped to the bottom of what the grocers can accept? :lol

Swine Flu might be even more dangerous than the Bird Flu or even the SARS, it isn't a big issue for vegans though.

It shouldn't be an issue for meat eaters either since it's not transmitted by food consumption.

THere's a reason why hog farmers want to change the name of the strain :lol because people are making the wrong assumptions by the name...Swine flu is only called Swine flu because it's a strain that jumped species, from pigs to men. Just like the Bird Flu stuff.

The media is playing up hysteria/alert. This is no different than West Nile or bird Flu. Wash your hands, etc. and wait for it to pass.

Get flu shots if you're a hypochondriac or whatever

Agloco
04-30-2009, 10:54 AM

Damm man....sorry to hear that. Hope she recovers soon.

Basketballgirl25
04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
What would happen if a player on either team got it, I hope they all don't, but what if one did. Would the NBA say they can't play because that would suck.

And that toddler that died was from mexico visiting family in US for better health care don't know if that is true or not

lefty
04-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Swine Flu !

That's why Spurs lost !!!!

DeadlyDynasty
04-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Chris Andersen probably has it already

Holmes_Fans
04-30-2009, 01:55 PM

Dumbass you can't get it from eating park. It's not mad cow disease.

Agloco
04-30-2009, 01:59 PM

You are......

Many of the cases in Mexico have been young adults who are healthy. While this could simply be a case of numbers, it's still a cause for concern since the virus has shown a new ability to kill otherwise healthy people.

kamikazi_player
04-30-2009, 02:03 PM
What would happen if a player on either team got it, I hope they all don't, but what if one did. Would the NBA say they can't play because that would suck.

And that toddler that died was from mexico visiting family in US for better health care don't know if that is true or not
It would be space jam all over again.

Agloco
04-30-2009, 02:10 PM
The media is playing up hysteria/alert. This is no different than West Nile or bird Flu. Wash your hands, etc. and wait for it to pass.

Get flu shots if you're a hypochondriac or whatever

I would contend that the CDC and national/local governments are contributing to the pot much more than the media is. France suspended flights to Mexico, Fort Worth closed all of it's schools, the CDC issuing a threat level 5, etc, etc.

Its not the media, they're simply telling you what various government entities are doing.

Also, flu shots are inneffectual against Swine Flu. Hell, they don't always work against the garden variety flu (Influenza A).

JamStone
04-30-2009, 02:26 PM
My sister and her family is down in Houston. Two young kids.

What's the news on it spreading down from Dallas? Are the schools shutting down?

BUMP
04-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Swine Flu !

That's why Spurs lost !!!!

:lol

Agloco
04-30-2009, 02:34 PM
My sister and her family is down in Houston. Two young kids.

What's the news on it spreading down from Dallas? Are the schools shutting down?

I don't know besides the Fort Worth closures. Looks like it was a precautionary measure. A local school in Cibolo closed as well after having a third case pop up.

DPG21920
04-30-2009, 02:41 PM
I hear girls who don't get any sex are more susceptible to swine flu.

YellowFever
04-30-2009, 03:00 PM

Man, if people spent some time reading literature as opposed to news articles, they'd know that:

1) People that actually died from confirmed Swine Influenzea cases is 7 people at current count.

2) It was believed that thousands have it in Mexico but they are not confirmed cases. It's very hard to distinguishe Swine Flu from regular flu. Chances are most people don't have it.

3) It is now believed that Swine Flu is less dangerous thasn the regular flu!! Regular flu kills appx. 36,000 people in just north America alone in a given year.

4) There is no fucking way you get Swine Flu eating Pork! Those stupid governments banning the import of it are just stupid.

5) We go through some shit or another like this every 20 years or so.

6) This is massively blown out of proportion because the idiot 24/7 media has nothing to do right now.

Quite honestly, I wish I caught a case of the swine flu so I have a good excuse to miss work for a week or so.

spursfan1000
04-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Someone in Houston passed away yesterday because of the flu sad to say.

YellowFever
04-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Someone in Houston passed away yesterday because of the flu sad to say.

It was a toddler who lives in Mexico.

The kid caught the flu in Mexico and was brought here but was too late.

You never hear shit like that from the idiots in the press.

spursfan1000
04-30-2009, 09:03 PM
It was a toddler who lives in Mexico.

The kid caught the flu in Mexico and was brought here but was too late.

You never hear shit like that from the idiots in the press.

Yeah I knew about that I just didnt mention that.

CavsFan
04-30-2009, 10:33 PM
LOL!!

If the playoffs are suspended because a player gets the swine flu, I would take it as a sure sign that Cleveland would have won this year. Chalk it up.

Pretty bad that this would even cross my mind. The Indians/stike comes to mind.

Chieflion
04-30-2009, 11:16 PM
US seems much affected by swine flu. Hope all of you are ok. Southeast Asia has not got it yet. Hope the disease gets fixed by doctors soon.

TampaDude
05-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Wash your hands, don't travel to Mexico, and watch out for the cytokine storm.

hater
05-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Fucking Eduardo Najera brought it over.

protect spurstalk. Ban IronMexican

pauls931
05-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Pffft, this flu is a big deal because it was not expected. The way the predict what to vaccinate here is to see what flu hits asia during their flu season and then vaccinate for that strain in the US. This time that trick did not work so no one is vaccinate/no vaccine has been prepared for this strain meaning it can be more contagious since no one is immunized.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Can the fatal version be transmitted through crack? If so, could Amare's dealer get some swine flu?

I guess there's always hope.