PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Parker Plans To Play For France This Summer

duncan228
04-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Parker plans to play for France this summer (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Parker_plans_to_play_for_France_this_summer.html)
Jeff McDonald

Spurs guard Tony Parker says he won't let Manu Ginobili's ill-fated run in last year's Olympics deter him from playing with the French national team this summer.

Ginobili aggravated an ankle injury while playing for Argentina last August in Beijing, and eventually required surgery. He missed 43 games this season, including all of the playoffs, while recovering from that injury and others.

After the Spurs' Game 5 ouster against Dallas, Parker said he plans to go through with his decision to join the French team.

“For me, it will be a little bit different,” said Parker, who turns 27 in May. “Manu is over 30. I'm younger.”

Unlike Ginobili last year, Parker also enters the offseason relatively healthy after the most productive season of his NBA career. He plans to take May and June off, then join the French team July 12 for an Olympic qualifier in Poland.

As part of the league's agreement with FIBA, the international basketball organization, NBA teams cannot forbid players from playing in summertime events. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich strongly discouraged Ginobili from participating in last season's Olympics, but would not go on record with a similar plea for Parker.

“I've learned that I'm limited as to the comments that can be made, due to a variety of agreements and such,” Popovich said Wednesday. “One could probably just look at my face, or at the comments I've made in the past — that I'm not making now — and you can glean from that how happy I am about some of the guys playing in the summertime.”

Parker realizes his international career is in its twilight. He says he would like to play for the French team for two or three more years.

“When I pass that bar, the 30 years, then I'll think about it and learn from what happened with Manu,” Parker said.

Gooden could test waters: Reiterating his desire to remain in San Antonio, free-agent-to-be Drew Gooden said he would probably test the market before committing to any team next season.

“I'd love to be a part of this organization, but that's something we'll have to see this summer,” Gooden said.

Gooden signed with the Spurs on March 4, after being bought out of his contract in Sacramento. He averaged 9.8 points in 19 games with the Spurs, but did not play in their Game 5 loss against the Mavericks.

“I had a great time here; it was a great experience,” Gooden said. “Whatever happens, it will be a couple of pages in my book that will be memorable.”

Finley undecided: Michael Finley said he has not decided whether to exercise his final-year option with the Spurs.

Finley is due another $2.5 million should he decide to play another season.

“I haven't really thought about next year, to be quite honest,” Finley said. “I'm going to sit back with my family now, enjoy this extended period of time off, and when the time comes that I have to make a decision about my future, that's when I'll make it.”

Bouncing baby Bonner: One way or another, Matt Bonner is guaranteed to have a busy offseason. His wife, Nadia, is due to give birth to the couple's first child in July.

The Bonners are expecting a girl.

“We're going to all the classes and reading all the books,” Bonner said. “We're both pretty excited.”

Sean Cagney
04-30-2009, 01:45 AM
Great he is gonna wear his little azz our early too, period.. I can see him getting hurt and it's this year all over again for us. Learn from Manu little frenchie, if not you are gonna be fukked too.

Thomas82
04-30-2009, 02:11 AM
Great he is gonna wear his little azz our early too, period.. I can see him getting hurt and it's this year all over again for us. Learn from Manu little frenchie, if not you are gonna be fukked too.

Young people always think they are invincible.

anjlbitz
04-30-2009, 02:42 AM
It's been a few days.. no one has asked Bonner to comment about GMC's decision to discontinue Pontiacs?

xellos88330
04-30-2009, 02:48 AM
Young people always think they are invincible.

You mean I'm not really invincible!!! There goes my plans of jumping off a cliff!! :bang

MaNuMaNiAc
04-30-2009, 02:49 AM
ducks better be all over this shit! Bashed the shit out of Manu for it, now let's see some fucking indignation ducky boy!

“I've learned that I'm limited as to the comments that can be made, due to a variety of agreements and such,” Popovich said Wednesday. “One could probably just look at my face, or at the comments I've made in the past — that I'm not making now — and you can glean from that how happy I am about some of the guys playing in the summertime.”

what exactly is your excuse now ducks? Pop is against Tony going just like with Manu... right? what say you now?

P.S. Good luck to Tony, hope he stays healthy :tu

EDIT: Not to be misconstrued as a Tony vs Manu thread, this is a "calling ducks out" thread.

Jace
05-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Horrible agreement by the NBA to prevent teams from making individual decisions.

tp2021
05-01-2009, 11:24 AM
EDIT: Not to be misconstrued as a Tony vs Manu thread, this is a "calling ducks out" thread.

Good save.

duncan228
05-01-2009, 11:29 AM
On a related note:

Eva to quit US for France (http://news4u.co.in/?p=20620)

Actress Eva Longoria Parker has decided to move to her husband’s native country France once she wraps up her superhit TV series ‘Desperate Housewives’.

The Latin actress who currently lives in Los Angeles with husband Tony Parker, a star player for the San Antonio Spurs basketball team, wants to move to France with her husband for some peaceful living.

“Tony and I will be moving to France after Desperate Housewives. Actually after his basketball career. Not for just a while, but we’ll be living there for a bit,” said the 34-year-old actress who married Parker in a lavish ceremony in France in 2007.

mexicanjunior
05-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Nice...can't wait to see Parker miss 40 games next year because he wore himself out over the summer.

smeagol
05-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Stupid people still don't understand what an honor it is to represent your country in a sporting event . . .

mexicanjunior
05-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Stupid people still don't understand what an honor it is to represent your country in a sporting event . . .

I don't think anyone questions the prestige of it...but when it starts to cost the team that pays your salary, it is a problem. I'm sure Pop realizes what an honor it is but that still didn't keep him from showing his displeasure for it.

EricB
05-01-2009, 11:36 AM

Awesome, their respective countries can pay the 12 million a year then.

completely deck
05-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Just like Pop says, the Spurs pay his bills so he shouldn't do anything to compromise that.

polandprzem
05-02-2009, 12:04 AM

Stuff all your money up your ass

spurtech09
05-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Dumb move

Bambililos
05-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Do you remember that Parker played for France last summer? That he gave everything he had because everyone else on the team sucked?
What were the awful consequences? 22pts, 7ass during the regular season, 1st offensive power in Tim Duncan's team, he's had the best season of his career so far. So I wouldn't be so sure the few games he'll play this summer are going to cost him next season.

Plus, you need to realize that the Spurs PAY him to play games during the NBA regular season and the Playoffs. They don't OWN him! Slavery is over guys, and Parker can do whatever he wants during the summer.

Bukefal
05-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Do you remember that Parker played for France last summer? That he gave everything he had because everyone else on the team sucked?
What were the awful consequences? 22pts, 7ass during the regular season, 1st offensive power in Tim Duncan's team, he's had the best season of his career so far. So I wouldn't be so sure the few games he'll play this summer are going to cost him next season.

Plus, you need to realize that the Spurs PAY him to play games during the NBA regular season and the Playoffs. They don't OWN him! Slavery is over guys, and Parker can do whatever he wants during the summer.

Exactly, not to forget that its an honor to play for your country, and no one can take that away from you. I hope he plays well and manages to qualify. Go TOny!

Rogue
05-02-2009, 08:18 AM
yeah it's an honor to work for his mother country, that's why Manu got badly injuried and missed the postseason as a result, otherwise the Spurs would have played much better or even won the series against Mavs.

It's not an obligation but a business to play basketball, in other words it's just a game that brings us entertainment but not hurt, physically or mentally. Players have the God-given rights to protect themselves, NBA teams and team US respect those rights but other national teams don't.

Surely we can't decide for the Spurs whether to play those bs games or not, I just suggest the players know who they are. As a professional basketball player, the first job is just to keep himself healthy and 100% perpared for his job, which is just playing NBA games. International games are kind of temporary amusements, the UN takes the resposibility to defend the honors of the nations.

raspsa
05-02-2009, 08:45 AM
I'd be a lot more comfortable with it if Parker had Iverson's stamina.. the guy could play the 4th quarter as hard as the 1st.. a real physical freak.

Lady M
05-02-2009, 08:57 AM

:toast
je savais bien que ton anglais était meilleur que le mien :D

Cane
05-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Won't TEAM USA be playing this summer also?

Yea it sucks having your star players risk injury by playing basketball but hey he deserves it after carrying this team the past season.

Spurs aren't going anywhere until the managers get some real talent in anyway.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Once again unless they can beat Italy they will play no more probably than 2-3 games.

bigfan
05-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Thats the risk of drafting foreign players. If you dont want them to do it, put it in their contract. I dont like it with Tony but hes got the right to do it, I hope he can stay healthy, we need him badly.

Marcus Bryant
05-02-2009, 09:18 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pMiKXgD3nzA/SIkXr2OkOCI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/htl6CBndBnE/s400/gordon-brown-oh%2Bfuck.jpg

ducks
05-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Thats the risk of drafting foreign players. If you dont want them to do it, put it in their contract. I dont like it with Tony but hes got the right to do it, I hope he can stay healthy, we need him badly.

duncan is from the united states and he did play for the olypmics for his country

so their is no guarantee if they are from the usa they would not be asked

Mel_13
05-02-2009, 10:14 AM
1. NBA team owners, through their designated representatives, entered into a Collective Bargaining Agreement with the Players Association.

2. The CBA specifically protects the rights of NBA players to compete in designated international tournaments.

3..The NBA markets it brand on a global basis. The participation of elite NBA players in these tournaments supports that marketing effort.

4. The NBA has partnered with USA Basketball to finance, train and staff the American team.

If team owners want more control over whether or how frequently their players compete in these tournaments, they can negotiate it into the next CBA. Since they have not limited participation in several CBAs since the 92 Olympics, I doubt they will then.

The NBA, as a corporate entity and global business enterprise, has decided that the participation of its best players in these tournaments is good for business. One can extrapolate from their actions that they regard injuries to elite players on guaranteed deals as an acceptable cost of doing that business. The fact that such injuries have an adverse and disproportionate impact on individuals franchises, in their view, is an unfortunate but necessary consequence.

In short, get over it, its not about to change anytime soon.

timaios
05-02-2009, 10:47 AM
I quote myself from that other thread about Tony playing for France this summer.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124665

I don't know how it is in the USA, but in Europe and everywhere else, playing for your country is the most you can do in your career.

France with Tony won in 2000 the "FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship" and TP was the MVP of the tournament.
Since then, he is the leader of this new generation (post 2000 Olympic Games).

France record since 1999
1999 European Championship : 4th place.
2000 Olympic Games : 2nd (Silver medal).
2001 European Championship : 6th place.
2003 European Championship : 4th place.
2005 European Championship : 3rd place.
2006 FIBA World Championship : 5th place.

The problem is, since 2006 a lot of french players are not playing anymore for their national team. But i think it's gonna change now.
France, today, has a lot of good players and could do something special in the years to come if everyone is on the same track.

It's a great honor to represent your country in sports. It's not difficult to understand.
When Tony was a teenager, his country gave him a great formation. That's one of the reasons he is the player he is today. Without this formation he wouldn't be able to play in the NBA today. Tony knows that, and beyond that, he is a true competitor and love playing for his NT.

The NBA season is off during 6 months. You really believe that a NBA player doesn't play basketball during those 6 months.
A player can get injured playing with friends, or practicing... or simply walking in the street (one false move : sprained ankle.)

You can't expect the worse everytime, otherwise you're not doing anything anymore.

So, Tony will play some games for France, what a big deal.
He played for France last year and see the result : he had a great season with the Spurs.
Last year, with a lot of french players MIA, Tony had to carry the French team and he did a fantastic job... Maybe what he did with the French team was a good training for what he did with the Spurs this year.
The more you play international games, the better player you will become.
TP is improving his game every year, thanks to the Spurs and thanks to the French team.

See the positives, not always the negatives... :toast

Oh, and :flag::flag::flag:

ploto
05-02-2009, 10:53 AM
The most interesting part is actually that Pop used to be one of the NBA coaches most in suppport of guys playing for their national teams. He understood the honor and for some years defended their right to do so. He talked about how they would be playing basketball anyway over the summer and it was at least in a controlled environment. My how the times have changed!

ElNono
05-02-2009, 12:04 PM
yeah it's an honor to work for his mother country, that's why Manu got badly injuried and missed the postseason as a result, otherwise the Spurs would have played much better or even won the series against Mavs.

And that is incorrect. Try again.

Kori Ellis
05-02-2009, 12:05 PM
The most interesting part is actually that Pop used to be one of the NBA coaches most in suppport of guys playing for their national teams. He understood the honor and for some years defended their right to do so. He talked about how they would be playing basketball anyway over the summer and it was at least in a controlled environment. My how the times have changed!

He sure was. His attitude was that way even just a year and a half ago. I guess Manu's situation really changed his perspective.

timaios
05-02-2009, 01:59 PM
The difference is Manu was already injured when he played the olympics with his NT.
I can't understand why some people are so paranoid about players injuries.
It happens.
NBA players are playing 82 regular season games + playoffs games.
A player can get injured in each of those 82 games and even in practice.
Tony will play a few games with France... so what ?
If you are so afraid of injuries, i don't know, we should tell to the Spurs FO to rest the big 3 in the regular season, just to be sure they will be 100% healthy when the playoffs begin.
Tony Parker sprained his left ankle with the Spurs in the 5th game of the season and after that he had a great year.

During the 6 months off, the NBA players are playing basketball anyway... with or without their NT.

Yuixafun
05-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Seems to me that many of these posters are the same ones buying hand sanitizer to ward off an airborne illness. Do us all a favor and sneeze into your elbows people.

Tony gets to improve his game some more while other NBA players get fat.

J-Kidd played for team USA this past summer and he's still going strong. Same for Lebron, D-wade, Dwight Howard..................

smeagol
05-02-2009, 05:01 PM

The solution is simple.

Don't draft international players . . .

Yuixafun
05-02-2009, 05:22 PM
11k posts ^ woot!

jason1301
05-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Once again unless they can beat Italy they will play no more probably than 2-3 games.

any news about the Greek Team, do you know how the roster will look like? What's the speculation?

ducks
05-02-2009, 09:46 PM
The solution is simple.

Don't draft international players . . .
usa wanted duncan HELLO
it is not just foreign players
IDIOT

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2009, 06:17 PM
usa wanted duncan HELLO
IDIOT

ducks better be all over this shit! Bashed the shit out of Manu for it, now let's see some fucking indignation ducky boy!

what exactly is your excuse now ducks? Pop is against Tony going just like with Manu... right? what say you now?

P.S. Good luck to Tony, hope he stays healthy :tu

What? no answer?

smeagol
05-05-2009, 07:10 PM
usa wanted duncan HELLO
IDIOT

The biggest issue is with international players because almost all of them want to represent their country.

MORON

ducks
05-05-2009, 07:41 PM
What? no answer?

pop did not say yes or know
said he was not allowed by rules
he told manu he should not play pubically
he did not care about a fine or anything with manu
so he must have really wanted manu not to play

I do not think tp would play if he was hurt
especially since what happened with manu
manu was injured in the playoffs and played

my biggest beef with manu was he was hurt and still played

also pop publically told manu stay home

ducks
05-05-2009, 07:42 PM
The biggest issue is with international players because almost all of them want to represent their country.

MORON

bowen wanted to
duncan is the exception in usa players
but he hates their refs:lol:lol

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2009, 07:45 PM
pop did not say yes or know
said he was not allowed by rules
he told manu he should not play pubically
he did not care about a fine or anything with manu
so he must have really wanted manu not to play

I do not think tp would play if he was hurt
especially since what happened with manu
manu was injured in the playoffs and played

my biggest beef with manu was he was hurt and still played

also pop publically told manu stay home

Give me a fucking break ducks!! Stop grasping at straws, there is absolutely nothing else you can interpret from these lines

other than Pop is NOT happy Tony is playing.

and yet, your sorry fucking ass isn't complaining now... no, in fact, you're making excuses. Yeah, nothing unexpected here.

ducks
05-05-2009, 07:48 PM
pop comments in the past was he was for them playing for their country

this year he changed some of his stance

I am NOT happy he is playing
the one blessing spurs lost in the first round is tp will still get his 2 1/2 months off like he did last year

ducks
05-05-2009, 07:50 PM
MaNuMaNiAc you can do a search I
was not happy he was playing for his country
what I said was manu did that even when pop publically told him no
also spurs would have extented him had he said no
spurs really did not want him to go

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
MaNuMaNiAc you can do a search I
was not happy he was playing for his country
what I said was manu did that even when pop publically told him no
also spurs would have extented him had he said no
spurs really did not want him to go

The Spurs really don't want Tony to go either you stupid fuck. Stop trying to pretend like this scenario is different. The only difference here is you're willing to cut Tony slack here, whilst when Manu did it, it was a betrayal of the Spurs trust...

You're a fucking hypocrite joke is all I'm saying.

P.s. Just for the record, I think Tony playing for France is great. I've always been in favor of international play. I sincerely hope for the best for Tony and pray he does not get hurt. I just love exposing your sorry ass the hypocrite you are, is all.

ducks
05-05-2009, 07:56 PM
spurs may not want him to go
but he has already said once he reaches the AGE of manu he most lucky would not
also he is not injured now
unlike manu

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2009, 07:58 PM
unlike manu

moving the goal post for convenience are we?

You're not fooling anyone ducks

ducks
05-05-2009, 08:01 PM
tp just stated the age thing I just repeated what he said

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2009, 08:04 PM
tp just stated the age thing I just repeated what he said

The age thing has shit to do with your vilification of Manu for having played last summer, and you're lack of criticism of Tony for doing the same thing. Hypocrisy has everything to do with that.

ducks
05-05-2009, 08:07 PM
the age had nothing to do with me not wanting him to play no
THE REASON I DO NOT WANT HIM TO PLAY HE WAS HURT YOU DUMBASS
ALSO POP TOLD HIM NOT TO..
I think manu was a fool for turning down an extention and playing
now will spurs extend him?
I would not tell he proves he can be healthy
I also would only pay him for 24 minutes a night not 40 since that is all he can play

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2009, 08:14 PM
the age had nothing to do with me not wanting him to play no
THE REASON I DO NOT WANT HIM TO PLAY HE WAS HURT YOU DUMBASS
ALSO POP TOLD HIM NOT TO..
I think manu was a fool for turning down an extention and playing
now will spurs extend him?
I would not tell he proves he can be healthy
I also would only pay him for 24 minutes a night not 40 since that is all he can play

Make up your fucking mind! You keep changing your excuses with every post, first is Pop told him not to (and he's done the same to Tony for all intensive purposes) then its the Manu was too old, Tony is not bullshit, now its that he was hurt and should have taken the extension instead... yeah, you're full of shit.

I sincerely hope Tony doesn't get injured during this summer for our sake and yours. First because we're pretty much royally fucked without him, and for your sake because you'll be forced to rag on him like you did on Manu, and I don't think that shit is ever going to happen.

sonic21
05-05-2009, 08:20 PM
unlike manu

he's saying that now, but i'm sure he'll continue to play for the french NT if they haven't won anything yet.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2009, 08:22 PM
he's saying that now, but i'm sure he'll continue to play for the french NT if they haven't won anything yet.

ducks will have yet another excuse prepared for such a turn of events. Hypocrites always do.

romain.star
05-06-2009, 03:56 AM
ducks is funny

WalterBenitez
05-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Tony should and must play for NT, period, no discussion.
NBA needs foreign markets and that's the main reason.