PDA

View Full Version : Redd to sonics if sonics fail to resign allen?

ducks
03-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Redd Alert
Sonics game at a glance

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER STAFF

# PLAYER OF THE GAME:
Sonics forward Rashard Lewis matched his season high with seven 3-pointers and scored a game-high 29 points. It's the eighth time this month he has scored more than 25 points.

# TURNING POINT: The Bucks trimmed the Sonics' lead to two points with three minutes remaining, but Toni Kukoc failed to rotate to cover Lewis, who made his seventh 3-pointer of the game with 2:29 left. The Sonics led by five, and the Bucks were never closer than four the rest of the game.

# TAKING CARE OF THE JOINT: Ray Allen did not play last night, missing the game because of his sprained right ankle, suffered Sunday in Los Angeles. He wasn't sure if he would play tomorrow in Portland, and he will wait until the pain disappears.

"I'm being a lot more cautious than I have been in the past," he said.

One reason is the playoffs are a month away. Another is he had surgery on that ankle in October 2003.

"Knowing that I did have surgery, it kind of did help to say, 'There's no need to put any more pressure on it.' "

# IMPORTED PERFUME: Zaza Pachulia sounds more like the name for a woman's fragrance than an NBA player. Pachulia, a Bucks forward, in his second NBA season.

# JUST AN OBSERVER: Bob Whitsitt, former Sonics and Trail Blazers GM and former Seahawks president, attended the game. As Whitsitt left, a particularly vocal fan yelled at him. "No regrets," the fan shouted incredulously. "Look at the state of the two franchises. No regrets?"

# PROTECT YOUR NECK: Jeff Reinking, the courtside photographer who was kicked by Orlando Magic guard Steve Francis on Friday night, had protection last night. Another photographer brought him a plastic helmet modeled after something a medieval knight would wear. Francis was suspended three games for the incident. Reinking was nearly flattened (but not injured) by Bucks guard Desmond Mason, who tumbled over the photographer and into the front row of seats.

# BOO-TH: Anyone think fans at KeyArena were saying Calvin Booth's last name when he checked in for the Bucks? Didn't think so. He was matched up against Jerome James in a second-quarter standoff between two $5 million-a-year investments made by the Sonics.

# REDD ALERT: Bucks guard Michael Redd could become a free-agent target for the Sonics should they fail to re-sign Allen. Redd said he hasn't thought much about free agency in general or the Sonics in particular.

"I always assumed (Allen) would re-sign back in Seattle," he said. "I really haven't thought about my free agency as much. It's in the back of my head, though."

By trading Keith Van Horn last month, the Bucks are clearing the decks for a top-drawer offer to Redd, who will be an unrestricted free agent. Redd said he wouldn't rule out the Sonics.

"That's the beauty of free agency," he said, "seeing who's interested and seeing who's out there. Obviously, I want to re-sign in Milwaukee, try to get something done there, but we'll see what happens."

-- Danny O'Neil