PDA

View Full Version : Only way to upgrade team is...

twilo73
04-30-2009, 10:48 AM
... to use all our expiring contracts to trade for better players. I do mean all including Manu is we can get serious quality in return. We wont be a player in 2010, too many teams in bigger markets will be hunting for players... no one will come to SA. So trade for longer contracts now, but make sure they are good players.

Dr. Gonzo
04-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Ok.

rascal
04-30-2009, 11:40 AM
... to use all our expiring contracts to trade for better players. I do mean all including Manu is we can get serious quality in return. We wont be a player in 2010, too many teams in bigger markets will be hunting for players... no one will come to SA. So trade for longer contracts now, but make sure they are good players.

Agree this is the best case scenario but knowing the spurs they will wait for 2010 and end up signing some marginal talented player and call it a big success.

kace
04-30-2009, 11:49 AM
it's not totally stupid.

i would keep manu though. IMO, that's a no-brainer.

but in 2010, with many teams hunting the FA, i don't see many reasons to think the spurs would be one of the most attractive team. It has never been and Tim will be older.

so, maybe this off season should be the year where we try to give up many players and bring new ones. Indeed, another solid big (gooden or MLE player) and a SF should be enough for this team with a healthy big 3. We can't have more anyway. maybe change some piece with others of same value if the FO is upset by some players (bonner, finley, mason, KT, Oberto........).

in 2010, a manu trade or hopefully another contract but lower (6-7 M per year) could allow the team to add another piece.

venitian navigator
04-30-2009, 12:03 PM
I agree that if ther's one season we can possibly improve our team, is the next one, not the 2010-1011.
I mean...we have to buy low!
In two season, with a loro of teams in the free agent market, you're going to buy high anyway.
Our expiring contracts are, as for now, hot commodities for any team in the lux tax territory or willing to clear their cap space.
And the MLE and also the LLE money is not that bad for players like Odom, Marion, Ariza, Wallace, Mc Dyess...or Gooden (just name some ones availble) who want to stay or go in a winning situation.

As for now our 2010 plan means only the chance to sign Splitter for big money...

Lakers999
04-30-2009, 12:10 PM
ehh.. all i can say is hands off ariza, brown, and odom.... look elsewhere please

JamStone
04-30-2009, 12:32 PM
But what players would be your targets? The teams that would want expiring contracts (New York, New Jersey, Dallas, Chicago, Miami, Philadelphia) who are the real players in 2010 (not like Memphis, Clippers, Timberwolves, Milwaukee) don't really have good players they want to trade away for cap space. Unless you're talking about taking on Elton Brand's contract or you think players like Al Harrington or Larry Hughes or Kirk Hinrich are going to make significant impact. Expiring contracts alone aren't going to get you a player like Chris Bosh (at least I don't think). And, if IIRC the Spurs don't have a first round draft pick this year either.

If you think 32 year old Vince Carter can be a difference maker, maybe he would be available. The only other guy I think might be able to be had in a trade for expiring contracts is Luol Deng, but that's far from a certainty. He would be a very good target to pursue, but if he's made available and other teams are told that, would expiring contracts alone be good enough to get him? Does Ian Mahinmi have any value? Do the draft rights to Splitter?

It's a very good plan if it can actually be realistic. I question if it is. And, I wonder what "good players" you are talking about to target with such a plan.

tp2021
04-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Richard Jefferson.

twilo73
04-30-2009, 12:39 PM
But what players would be your targets? The teams that would want expiring contracts (New York, New Jersey, Dallas, Chicago, Miami, Philadelphia) who are the real players in 2010 (not like Memphis, Clippers, Timberwolves, Milwaukee) don't really have good players they want to trade away for cap space.

What I do know is that players like Booner, Oberto, Thomas, Finley, Bowen, and the rest of our non-Big 3, non Mason and Hill... are not part of a winning team right now. We need to get much younger and athletic fast if we want to use the last few years of the big three to win one more. Winning next year is a lot more likely than winning three years from now.

JamStone
04-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Easy to say something like that with generalities. Most teams want to get younger and more athletic. Most teams want "good players."

Once again, give names of players that you would go after.

twilo73
04-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Easy to say something like that with generalities. Most teams want to get younger and more athletic. Most teams want "good players."

Many of my choices have already been mentioned here... VC, Jefferson, I would like to take a look at trading with WA, GS or Chicago, and maybe some sign and trades of good players who's current teams don't want to take the risk of a long term contract but that would take some incentives like picks.

poop
04-30-2009, 01:58 PM
LMAO at everyone wanting to go after 33+yr old players. they never fuckin learn.

SenorSpur
04-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Jefferson makes a heckua lot of money

spurtech09
04-30-2009, 02:22 PM
lets just get someone that would help out the spurs.......

Mel_13
04-30-2009, 02:32 PM

And show how you will pay the big 3, your target player/players, and fill out the roster while staying under the luxury tax. Its not easy.

sananspursfan21
04-30-2009, 03:08 PM
i don't know what you're talking about with the whole 2010 thing, word is chris bosh wouldn't mind playing for the spurs. the list for '10 is very long so don't worry about it

SenorSpur
04-30-2009, 03:25 PM
If you think 32 year old Vince Carter can be a difference maker, maybe he would be available. The only other guy I think might be able to be had in a trade for expiring contracts is Luol Deng, but that's far from a certainty. He would be a very good target to pursue, but if he's made available and other teams are told that, would expiring contracts alone be good enough to get him?

While we're looking at the Bulls roster, I really like John Salmons as a potential trade target and SF replacement for Finley. Don't know if he could be had, but he does have a relatively affordable contract.

Mel_13
04-30-2009, 03:39 PM
While we're looking at the Bulls roster, I really like John Salmons as a potential trade target and SF replacement for Finley. Don't know if he could be had, but he does have a relatively affordable contract.

Salmons would be great in terms of talent and contract dollars and years. IIRC, the Spurs offered Bowen plus filler to get him from the Kings, but they had a better expiring contract (Gooden) and were willing to take back Brad Miller as well. Don't think they'll be interested in dealing him, but it would be nice to have the Spurs 2002 1st round pick actually play on the team.

michaelwcho
04-30-2009, 04:33 PM
But what players would be your targets? The teams that would want expiring contracts (New York, New Jersey, Dallas, Chicago, Miami, Philadelphia) who are the real players in 2010 (not like Memphis, Clippers, Timberwolves, Milwaukee) don't really have good players they want to trade away for cap space. Unless you're talking about taking on Elton Brand's contract or you think players like Al Harrington or Larry Hughes or Kirk Hinrich are going to make significant impact. Expiring contracts alone aren't going to get you a player like Chris Bosh (at least I don't think). And, if IIRC the Spurs don't have a first round draft pick this year either.

If you think 32 year old Vince Carter can be a difference maker, maybe he would be available. The only other guy I think might be able to be had in a trade for expiring contracts is Luol Deng, but that's far from a certainty. He would be a very good target to pursue, but if he's made available and other teams are told that, would expiring contracts alone be good enough to get him? Does Ian Mahinmi have any value? Do the draft rights to Splitter?

It's a very good plan if it can actually be realistic. I question if it is. And, I wonder what "good players" you are talking about to target with such a plan.

Our needs are:

1. good bigman to help Tim on the boards, D, and scoring
2. SF
3. backup point

Living in Phoenix, there has been a lot of talk about one bigman who could be on the bloq: Shaq.

The Big Fundamental and the Big Enchilada could be a pretty formidable front line. Not that fast, but big as anyone.

Civilfatman
04-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Trade for Tayshaun Prince. Not sure if Detriot would do this though.

Bowen, Oberto, & Bonner would work. Ruins the 2010 plan but 2010 is a pipe dream.

poop
04-30-2009, 05:49 PM
maybe Shaq and tim could join forces and win their 5th together :D

tbear280
04-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Trade for amare stoudamire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

afireinside20
04-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Is there any way we could get Dwayne Wade later on?

Taking it to the Hole
04-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Considering the year Grant Hill had with Phoenix, I don't think it is unreasonable to target him as a short term solution to our SF needs. He has range from almost everywhere on the court and plays pretty good defense. I think Pop and the front office might think about it more because Hill's basketball IQ is very high and he is a team player. Sounds like a SPUR already.:toast

raspsa
05-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Considering the year Grant Hill had with Phoenix, I don't think it is unreasonable to target him as a short term solution to our SF needs. He has range from almost everywhere on the court and plays pretty good defense. I think Pop and the front office might think about it more because Hill's basketball IQ is very high and he is a team player. Sounds like a SPUR already.:toast

Hill had a great season with the Suns. He wants to remain in Phoenix. really would have liked him as a Spur.

Rogue
05-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Trade for amare stoudamire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
win. amare is just the guy the spurs need most, rebounder and scorer. His only flaw is just his reluctance to play defense, but I'm sure Pop will fix it after he becomes a guy in silver&black. Bowen/Manu + picks would be enough to fill suns' stomach IMHO, attach Hill if necessary.

Rogue
05-01-2009, 01:01 AM
The combo of Amare and Tony Longoria will be a major force in the west for the next 4-5 years, both of them are in their primes. But I doubt the suns will agree to fuel the spurs considering their feud against the spurs, so I'm afraid spurs will have to pay suns more than what amare's market value, amare is worth whatever spurs offer though.

TheSpursFNRule
05-01-2009, 01:07 AM

Salmons plays good with the Bulls and they seem to like him. I feel like Luol Deng could be available for this reason. Maybe they'll trade his contract and him away as there doing fine without him. I know alot of Chicago fans who aren't pleased the way he played last year and are bummed with his injury so who knows?

SanAntonioSpurs23
05-01-2009, 09:51 AM
win. amare is just the guy the spurs need most, rebounder and scorer. His only flaw is just his reluctance to play defense, but I'm sure Pop will fix it after he becomes a guy in silver&black. Bowen/Manu + picks would be enough to fill suns' stomach IMHO, attach Hill if necessary.

:wow

Ok well I live in Phoenix and there would be fucking riots if the Suns "traded" Grant Hill for Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen. You want the Suns front office to trade a fan favorite for two guys that Suns fans hate the most in the entire NBA :lol.

Plus Grant Hill is a FA, the Spurs wouldn't have to trade anyone to get him.

Strike
05-01-2009, 09:56 AM
:wow

Ok well I live in Phoenix and there would be fucking riots if the Suns "traded" Grant Hill for Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen. You want the Suns front office to trade a fan favorite for two guys that Suns fans hate the most in the entire NBA :lol.

Plus Grant Hill is a FA, the Spurs wouldn't have to trade anyone to get him.

If Manu and Bruce helped the Suns win a title, Sunsfan would fall in love with them.

Hey, I can't stand Kevin Garnett but I'd love to see him take the floor with Tim, Tony and Manu.

DaBears
05-01-2009, 09:57 AM
What about making some sort of deal that would bring in Kevin Durant, trade Ginobli if you have to along with some others. But i would make that kind of deal happen.

Jace
05-01-2009, 11:50 AM
What about making some sort of deal that would bring in Kevin Durant, trade Ginobli if you have to along with some others. But i would make that kind of deal happen.

You would have to give up a LOT to get a franchise player the caliber of Durant..

Drom John
05-01-2009, 03:50 PM
The only way to upgrade the Spurs is to replace any 2008-2009 player with a better 2009-2010 player.
That one way probably has 1000+ different ways of happening.

Marcus Bryant
05-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Another reason for a contract dump trade that would benefit the Spurs is the fact that many teams face lower revenues right now and that probably can be expected to continue for at least another year. The fact that the Spurs can take on a multi-year contract, along with allow a team to shed payroll immediately due to the partially guaranteed nature of contracts such as those of Bowen and Oberto, makes the Spurs an attractive trade partner.

If a team dealt for Bowen and Oberto and then waived them, that team would reduce payroll by $3.8 mil. In this environment, that's not chump change.