04-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Victor Claver

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/victorclaver.jpg

Position: SF/PF
Height: 6' 10"
Weight: 218 lbs
Birthday: 09/01/1988
(20 Years Old)

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Victor-Claver-336/)
nbadraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/victor-claver)
ESPN Insider (http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&playerId=19183)

Coming off an injury, so don't know if he'll be staying in. But being selected as a second-rounder might be preferable, since he wouldn't be locked into a rookie contract.

Bruno
05-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Claver and Casspi are the two most talented international players in the draft outside Rubio. If one of them is available at #37 and if the buyout situation isn't complicate, it's almost a no-brainer to pick him.

objective
05-04-2009, 02:35 PM
old Claver highlights

alV6DcGBggA

pad300
05-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Claver and Casspi are the two most talented international players in the draft outside Rubio. If one of them is available at #37 and if the buyout situation isn't complicate, it's almost a no-brainer to pick him.

Claver definetly. He is 1st round talent, and I will be surprised if he doesn't withdraw. I think the only thing that's keeping him out of the 1st round is the injury that took away most of the last season for him. I think he entered just to put his name back out there.

I am not sure that I can say the same thing regarding Casspi. He has finally been forced into the draft by the age limit. However, I am not sure he is actually a better prospect than a couple of other Euro forwards - Jonas Jerebko and Vladimir Dasic.

Finally, what is your opinion on Milan Macvan.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124928
He has also put his name in the draft. I think he is a first round level talent, again who has entered to early. If he leaves his name in, I would seriously contemplate drafting him at #37 if he is available.

Bruno
05-04-2009, 04:20 PM
I am not sure that I can say the same thing regarding Casspi. He has finally been forced into the draft by the age limit.

No, he hasn't. He is born in 1988. 1987 players are the one to be automatically eligible this year.

However, I am not sure he is actually a better prospect than a couple of other Euro forwards - Jonas Jerebko and Vladimir Dasic.

Well, maybe you have seen them play more than me but from what I've seen/know, I take Casspi over both, especially over Jerebko who is nothing special.
The player I forget is Sergio Llull. A nice prospect.

Finally, what is your opinion on Milan Macvan.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124928
He has also put his name in the draft. I think he is a first round level talent, again who has entered to early. If he leaves his name in, I would seriously contemplate drafting him at #37 if he is available.

Macvan is something special.
I remember watching him in the U19 world championship.
He was one of, if not the, youngest player on the court but was the most dominant player. Serbia won the championship by beating team USA (with players like Stephen Curry, Michael Beasley, Donte Greene, Jonny Flinn...) in the Finale.
There are some doubts about his ability to play in NBA because of his size/athleticism. If he doesn't make it in the NBA, he will become a great player in Europe.

Ditty
05-04-2009, 04:23 PM
i say get him if hes there

grizzles should take him 2 picks before the spurs but give him one year overseas and the spurs get a lottery pick in the second round if he gets back to normal which he should

pad300
05-04-2009, 05:18 PM
No, he hasn't. He is born in 1988. 1987 players are the one to be automatically eligible this year.

In which case, we can safely expect Casspi to withdraw, unless someone gives him a promise in the first round. At which point, we are not seeing him at #37 anyway...

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Claver has some big contract offers already in Europe. This would be another Splitter/Scola experiment. Spurs need to stop those type of picks.

Russ
05-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Pop mentioned Claver in Spain:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elmundo.es%2Felmundodeporte%2F2 009%2F05%2F05%2Fbaloncesto%2F1241549325.html&sl=es&tl=en&history_state0=

Go get him.

tp2021
05-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Victor Claver

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/victorclaver.jpg

Position: SF/PF
Height: 6' 10"
Weight: 218 lbs

Does he really have the ability to play the 3 in the NBA?

Biggems
05-07-2009, 09:55 PM
How good is he defensively?

ducks
05-07-2009, 10:05 PM
n addition, Popovich praised the trajectory of the wing-pivot Spanish Pau Gasol of the Lakers who he said is one of the stars of the NBA. "Es un gran jugador en muchos aspectos, en defensa y en ataque. Juega con mucha clase y su actitud es muy buena dentro y fuera de la pista. Es una gran persona", ańadió. "It's a great player in many respects, in defense and attack. Plays with a lot of class and his attitude is very good inside and outside the track. It is a great person," he added.

duncan228
05-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Victor Claver Bio (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txvictorclaverbio&prov=st&type=lgns)
By Mike Lipka

NAME: Victor Claver

POSITION: Forward

HEIGHT: 6-foot-10

WEIGHT: 225 pounds

SCOUTING REPORT: A broken leg derailed a huge chunk of Claver’s season in the Spanish league, and it could end up costing him a chance to be drafted in 2009. But if NBA teams can look beyond his recent adversity, they’ll find an intelligent player with plenty of positives. In addition to his excellent size and long arms, which help him as a defender and a rebounder, the 20-year-old Claver has no trouble knocking down shots. He hit 53.6 percent from the field in his limited action this season for Spanish club Pamesa Valencia. He’s also athletic and aggressive, allowing him to beat slower defenders and get to the basket. It’s unclear whether Claver projects as a small forward or a power forward in the NBA, and he could benefit from some added strength to his slim frame. Due to the injury, Claver could be seen as something of a high-risk, high-reward type pick, and he’s not very good at handling the ball. But if a team chooses him - likely at some point during the second round - it could end up with a valuable role player. There’s also a chance Claver returns to Spain for one more year to further prove himself before entering the 2010 draft.

mountainballer
05-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Claver has signed a 3 year extension with Valencia. contract has a NBA buy out. (but we know that Spanish clubs put hefty buy outs into their contracts). this should push him down the board to 2nd half of the 2nd round.
(if Spurs use one of the later picks for him, this could still be some good business down the road)

http://www.tubasket.com/noticiaDetail/verArticulo/ACB/acb/pamesa/renueva/victor/claver/pero/complica/continuidad/albert/oliver/14186

Bruno
05-25-2009, 11:29 AM
DX is reporting that Claver wants to avoid being drafted in the first round to be locked with the rookie scale.
This year is draft stock is as low as it can be after an injury-plagued year. He could decide to stay in this draft to avoid being a first round pick in 2010. :downspin:

The pool of college players that should be available at #37 looks far from great so I can definitely see Spurs drafting an euro with that pick.

Ditty
05-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Claver has signed a 3 year extension with Valencia. contract has a NBA buy out. (but we know that Spanish clubs put hefty buy outs into their contracts). this should push him down the board to 2nd half of the 2nd round.
(if Spurs use one of the later picks for him, this could still be some good business down the road)

http://www.tubasket.com/noticiaDetail/verArticulo/ACB/acb/pamesa/renueva/victor/claver/pero/complica/continuidad/albert/oliver/14186

damn that sucks but it would be really nice to land this guy in the late 2nd round and maybe buy this guy out in 2011 he reminds me of a rashard lewis because of his size and great shooting,imagine him and omri cassipi in about 2 years they could be the best small foward and power foward if they develop well

benefactor
05-25-2009, 06:29 PM
This would be as good of a draft and stash as any. The player(s) we take with the late picks probably won't pan out anyway, so I'd rather take one that has the potential to be an impact player and let him play a couple of more seasons overseas. Even if he never comes over, you don't lose much.

Bruno
05-26-2009, 06:23 PM
http://www.adn.es/local/valencia/20090526/NWS-1387-Seguramente-retirare-nombre-draft-ano.html

Claver says that he will likely stay in the draft this year. He wants to be drafted in the second round to avoid the rookie scale.
He has signed a 3 years contract with a NBA buyout (that should be quite big).

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Forget him. Spurs need to never draft anymore players with big buyouts.

benefactor
05-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks Bruno. I think it's a no-brainer now that we take him with one of our picks in the 50's if he is still there....for reasons I said above.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks Bruno. I think it's a no-brainer now that we take him with one of our picks in the 50's if he is still there....for reasons I said above.

Players with big buyouts is useless. Besides he is not as good as NBA fans are saying. He does not have the level to even make a big European club.

benefactor
05-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Players with big buyouts is useless. Besides he is not as good as NBA fans are saying. He does not have the level to even make a big European club.
We are not going to buy him out. That is point of drafting him. Picks in the 50's are usually going to yield you very little anyway. Might as well take a chance on him and see how he develops over the next few years.

And of course he is not that good yet. He is only 20.

Bruno
05-26-2009, 06:46 PM

Well I doubt he will be even available at #37.
IMO, he will be drafted by Blazers at #32.

benefactor
05-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Well I doubt he will be even available at #37.
IMO, he will be drafted by Blazers at #32.
Doesn't Portland already have an abundance of players like him?

Bruno
05-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Doesn't Portland already have an abundance of players like him?

Aside of Outlaw, not really.
Blazers also have a lot of young players under contract. Getting with a second round pick, a talented player, who will stay away of their roster, seems to be a damn good deal for them.

Ditty
05-26-2009, 11:47 PM
would love this guy i would hope he can stay overseas for at least next season so we can get hime with our 1st pick next year but if he's going to be like that then forget him i rather have cassipi and llull

Libri
06-01-2009, 12:55 PM
DraftExpress now has the Spurs picking Claver at 37.

SenorSpur
06-01-2009, 05:52 PM
IMO, the Spurs don't need another player stashed away overseas. They need a player who is ready to contirbute now. As bad off as this team is at the SF position, they are in no position to wait and they certainly cannot recall the same retreads and oldheads they've been using.

Move up into the 1st round and take a player, already.

benefactor
06-01-2009, 07:18 PM
IMO, the Spurs don't need another player stashed away overseas. They need a player who is ready to contirbute now. As bad off as this team is at the SF position, they are in no position to wait and they certainly cannot recall the same retreads and oldheads they've been using.

Agreed. With Claver signing another three year deal, this is not the ideal draft for us to take a player like him with our first pick. We need to be looking at players that can come in and possibly be role player ASAP.

pad300
06-01-2009, 09:03 PM

Disagree. If Claver is available at 37, you think long and hard about taking him. Sure, you may have to wait for a buyout opportunity, although it is currently unclear what the buyout opportunities in his new contract are. BUT if Claver was an American college player, he'd likely be a top 10 pick. That kind of talent in the 2nd round you HAVE to consider strongly...

benefactor
06-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Disagree. If Claver is available at 37, you think long and hard about taking him. Sure, you may have to wait for a buyout opportunity, although it is currently unclear what the buyout opportunities in his new contract are. BUT if Claver was an American college player, he'd likely be a top 10 pick. That kind of talent in the 2nd round you HAVE to consider strongly...
I don't think SenorSpur is disagreeing with taking Claver at 37 as much as he is lobbying for us to find a way into the first round to take a player that can potentially make some sort of contribution now. I agree with this, as I think that most of the players that could help us will be gone by the time we pick.

Claver is a very nice prospect...no one is disagreeing with that. The issue is that we are looking at a very short window as far as championship aspirations go. If we can get him with one of our later picks, I would be fine with that. But if we decide to stay put at 37 then I think we take the best available on the board that can be here next season. They may or may not pan out but we have to try because now is pretty much all we have.

Actually...I am starting to agree with Bruno's thinking on this. Claver will most almost certainly be taken by one of the 6 picks ahead of us in the second round. He will get to stay overseas to develop while he plays out his contract and then when he is brought over he will not be locked into a rookie scale contract. He is a safe pick for any team not looking to contend in the immediate future.

benefactor
06-01-2009, 09:43 PM
But if we decide to stay put at 37 then I think we take the best available on the board that can be here next season.
Example...DX currently has Green going to Portland one pick after us. I think we definitely take Green over Claver if he is there at 37.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124924

SenorSpur
06-01-2009, 11:22 PM
I don't think SenorSpur is disagreeing with taking Claver at 37 as much as he is lobbying for us to find a way into the first round to take a player that can potentially make some sort of contribution now. I agree with this, as I think that most of the players that could help us will be gone by the time we pick.

Claver is a very nice prospect...no one is disagreeing with that. The issue is that we are looking at a very short window as far as championship aspirations go. If we can get him with one of our later picks, I would be fine with that. But if we decide to stay put at 37 then I think we take the best available on the board that can be here next season. They may or may not pan out but we have to try because now is pretty much all we have.

Actually...I am starting to agree with Bruno's thinking on this. Claver will most almost certainly be taken by one of the 6 picks ahead of us in the second round. He will get to stay overseas to develop while he plays out his contract and then when he is brought over he will not be locked into a rookie scale contract. He is a safe pick for any team not looking to contend in the immediate future.

Exactly. That's precisely what I mean. The Spurs do not have the luxury of time to stash draft picks. They need immediate contributors. The best scenario would be to move up into the 1st round to take a player, whose skills can be leveraged as early as next season.

In the meantime, if Claver can be had with a later 2nd round pick, that's fine.

EricB
06-01-2009, 11:31 PM
There aint no one worthy of trading up for in the first round, thats such BS.

SenorSpur
06-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Try Sam Young

wildbill2u
06-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Exactly. That's precisely what I mean. The Spurs do not have the luxury of time to stash draft picks. They need immediate contributors. The best scenario would be to move up into the 1st round to take a player, whose skills can be leveraged as early as next season.

In the meantime, if Claver can be had with a later 2nd round pick, that's fine.

Something like 85% of the lower first round draftees NEVER make it into the NBA. So we'd have to get into the top draftees to have even a good shot at a solid NBA player. And everyone says that after the top five or so this year the draft is a crap shoot.

If the rumors are true about the Spurs trying to get into the late first round, they must have a player in mind that they don't think will be there in the second. This is looking more and more like Caspi to me. They've been hovering around him for a couple of years.

I'd be down with either Casspi or Claver in the 2nd round. I'm not really fired up about trading up to get either one. We might have to give up too much.

TheProfessor
06-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Something like 85% of the lower first round draftees NEVER make it into the NBA. So we'd have to get into the top draftees to have even a good shot at a solid NBA player. And everyone says that after the top five or so this year the draft is a crap shoot.

If the rumors are true about the Spurs trying to get into the late first round, they must have a player in mind that they don't think will be there in the second. This is looking more and more like Caspi to me. They've been hovering around him for a couple of years.

I'd be down with either Casspi or Claver in the 2nd round. I'm not really fired up about trading up to get either one. We might have to give up too much.
I believe the Spurs will keep their options open. They'll target a couple of players; if they happen to fall far enough in the first round, they'll try to move up with teams they've previously spoken to. If not, they'll see who drops and trade out if necessary. I don't expect them to trade up unless they're certain a desired player is on the board.

objective
06-15-2009, 04:47 AM
Claver is staying in the draft according to this (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.superdeporte.es%2Fsec ciones%2Fnoticia.jsp%3FpRef%3D2009061400_20_64195_ _Baloncesto-Claver-confirma-estara-proximo-draft&sl=es&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)article linked to by nbadraft and through google translate.

...[Claver} has already decided that this year will reach the final and as confirmed SUPER that, as reported by this newspaper in recent weeks, their main desire is to leave 'draft' in the second round to avoid it would tie the pay gap...

However the player tile is very clear about its priorities and continue with the Lakers is the first in the list since it has no hurry to cross the pond. Hence, it is more convenient since being elected from 31 to 60, because there is more freedom to decide the best time to make the jump to the best league in the world, as in his day was Marc Gasol. Of the six sites surveyed by super,-Hoops World, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, NBA Draft Depot College Ho-ops and Draft Express-Victor Claver be more than happy with the last three, which put him in the second round, beyond the thirtieth position, although none of them predicts that Valencian quit 'draft' below the post 40. It is a curious fact that two sites-NBA and College Hoops Draft Depot-overlap in their prognosis, which sent Valencia to the San Antonio Spurs of Gregg Popovich, the coach who visited a few weeks ago the city of Valencia to visit his Neven Spahija former assistant, current technical Pamesa.

A quick trip in which the winner of 3 rings with NBA Tim Duncan, among others, used the meeting to ask for Claver, in his famous philosophy of continuing to gamble in the draft for young European and international basketball, as and the French did with Tony Parker, Manu Ginóbili Argentine or Brazilian Luis Scola and Tiago Splitter, although the latter is pierced.

Fall into a franchise like Texas would be a dream for the eave taronja, if the predictions were met, however, if judiciously the other three sites, Hoops World, ESPN and Sports Illustrated, which put him in first round, plans Claver not come to perfection. On June 25, the answer.

Mr. Body
06-16-2009, 01:34 AM
I've been intrigued by this guy since last year's draft, saying he could be better than Casspi, who is a first round lock.

yavozerb
06-19-2009, 04:34 PM
NBAdraft.com

Expect a flurry of action on draft night, which has become the norm in recent years, and a number of first and second rounders to be sold and traded.

Teams with multiple picks such as Sacramento (23), Oklahoma City (25) and Chicago (26) are all looking to sell their picks according to sources. While three other teams would like to buy picks late in the first round: San Antonio, Detroit and Houston.

Joe Dumars has his eye on Toney Douglas and would like to pick up a late first to grab him. San Antonio is likely after Victor Claver who suspiciously remained in the draft, despite a lackluster and injury plagued season. No word on who Houston is after, but Rockets GM Daryl Moray was on hand in Treviso as Swedish SF Jonas Jerebko put on an excellent performance.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Crap. Claver is definitely a good prospect, but contractual complications are really getting old.

pad300
06-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Crap. Claver is definitely a good prospect, but contractual complications are really getting old.

I certainly wouldn't mind. 1) Claver is a talent. Purely on talent/potential I would say he might be top 15 in this years class. 2) Looking at our next year, I am not sure we see a lot of spots to fill. Consider:
PG (3 Spots) - Parker, Hill
Big (6 Spots) - Duncan, Thomas, Mahinmi,
Wing (6 spots) - Manu, Mason
Will all certainly be back. I can't see Pop going without another vet at PG; the PG spots are filled. Bigs - Oberto and Bonner still have contracts, and Gist will be looking to come back. We are also clearly looking at FA bigs (see the fuss over Bourousis). Gist comes over, and a FA takes Oberto's spot. No room left at that point. Wings: Finley and Bowen still have contracts. I expect Bowen to be back after a buyout. I'd like to see Finley gone, but I am not sure it will happen. And then there is Hairston and Williams. Presumably we still want both of them (that was what that contract folderol at the end of the year was - to keep both of them). That's maybe 1 spot at the wing, an we are clearly looking at FA's as well. There are not a lot of spots available for rookies. The year after though, Hill, Hairston, Williams and Mahinmi should be integrated enough that Pop trusts them; most of the old guard should go, leaving us with place to fill with talent
09/10
Parker, Hill, Vet FA (Vet Min)
Manu, Mason, Hairston, Williams, Bowen, FA? (assume Carney)
Duncan, Mahinmi, KT, Bonner, Gist, FA? (Assume Bourousis)

10/11
Parker, Hill
Manu (resigned), Hairston, Williams, Claver
Duncan, Mahinmi, Gist, Bouroussis, Splitter
Needs - 3ed PG, 2 Wings, 1 Big
Assets - 1 Draft Pick (2010), FA and 2nd round picks

Not a bad position.

Bruno
06-19-2009, 05:20 PM
If you can convince him to come in NBA one day, Claver at #37 is a damn great pick. I easily take him over the average second rounder coming from college.

dbestpro
06-20-2009, 08:32 AM
San Antonio is likely after Victor Claver (6-10) who suspiciously remained in the draft, despite a lackluster and injury plagued season.

nbadraft.net

When Pop was in Europe during the playoffs he commented about how good Claver was.

While his basketball skills have yet to catch up to his impressive athleticism, Claver's leaping ability has made him a fan favorite throughout the European and Spanish League circuits. His high flying skills were evident than when he won the Slam Dunk contest at the 2008 ULEB Cup Tournament.

However, Claver missed more than four months of the 2008-09 campaign after undergoing surgery in early December 2008 to repair a left leg fracture that he suffered in Eurocup action vs. Fortitudo Bologna. He returned in April for the Spanish ACB League playoffs, but his draft status could be affected by his injury as well as his team's recent announcement on May 26 that he signed a new three-year contract with Pamesa Valencia. The deal does include a buy-out clause if he chooses to pursue National Basketball Association endeavors.

Claver began his playing career as a cadet with the Marist CD club from 2001-03. He later played for the Pamesa Valencia cadet team in 2003-04, joining their junior squad the following year. He continued to play with the junior team and in EBA competition in 2005-06 before joining the big club. Claver competed for Spain's U-20 team at the European Championships, averaging 15.6 points and 5.3 rebounds per game, shooting 63.2 percent from two-point range and 36.8 percent from three-point range while making 72.0 percent of his shots from the foul line

stxspurs
06-20-2009, 09:02 AM
great another player with a bum wheel

Russ
06-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Could be a steal.

urunobili
06-20-2009, 10:19 AM
6-10 SF? I'll take it... perfect match up against Hedo, Ariza and Odom

iilluzioN
06-20-2009, 10:58 AM
theres some Youtube videos of him.....

this one showcases hes skills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKKVh40m-FA

this dude can play and shoot the ball, @ 6'10 for a SF.... this is exactly what we fucking need. I'd say we should try to get him!

loveforthegame
06-20-2009, 11:05 AM
It's hard not to like what you read/see about him but we need to move on with drafting and stashing guys that might not ever come over and play. Or worse trade them to a contending team.

Ditty
06-20-2009, 01:22 PM
i dont know too much about this kid espically how he broke his leg but if he comes back to the way he was playing he could be like a white rashard lewis

Bruno
06-20-2009, 01:23 PM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/johnathan_givony/06/19/small.forwards/

Best Value: Victor Claver

NBA teams are getting used to a new trend that seems to be emerging -- getting caught in a game of chicken with international prospects. Spain's Victor Claver isn't interested in getting caught in the rigid restrictions of the NBA's rookie scale like fellow ACB league members Rudy Fernandez and Tiago Splitter, so he's simply boycotting the NBA pre-draft process. Claver is refusing to subject himself to private workouts, interviews, or most importantly (especially for a player who is coming off a serious ankle injury) a physical examination in hopes of falling to the second round. If he indeed falls there, he could be one of the best values around, as he's, after all, a 6-foot-10 terrific athlete with nice perimeter skills and a very good feel for the game.

Given that Pop, RC and Lindsey made a stop to Claver's team during their Euro trip, Spurs are likely the NBA team that knows the most about Claver's physical state and his view about the NBA.
I wouldn't be surprised that Claver is refusing to do all these things because he wants to be drafted by Spurs.

Blackjack
06-20-2009, 01:31 PM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/johnathan_givony/06/19/small.forwards/

Given that Pop, RC and Lindsey made a stop to Claver's team during their Euro trip, Spurs are likely the NBA team that knows the most about Claver's physical state and his view about the NBA.
I wouldn't be surprised that Claver is refusing to do all these things because he wants to be drafted by Spurs.

If at first you don't succeed?

Try, try, lock Pritchard in a closet before the draft, and try again.

Blackjack
06-20-2009, 01:38 PM
By the way, I keep seeing his name and my american/english sensibilities have me thinking it's pronounced (Clay-Vur) but since he's Spain's own, would the correct pronunciation be (Claw-Vare?)

Blackjack
06-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Saturday, June 20th, 2009...9:49 am
Draft Prospect: Victor Claver

In early May I promised a series of posts on draft prospects who seemed a good fit for San Antonio. I earmarked 8 players for future posts, 4 of which are now complete. Follow the links to read about Omri Casspi (and here and here), Vladimir Dasic (withdrew), Sergio Llull, and Danny Green (and here). Additionally, Graydon took a stab at Sam Young (and here), who now ranks highly on my personal wish list. I want to pick up on my original list with a post about Victor Claver.

In terms of raw talent, the Spurs will have few chances at a better second round selection than the 6′10” combo forward from Spain. If Claver slips to 37, the Spurs will have to think long and hard about passing him up. Whether or not he lasts to 37 is another question entirely, but Claver recently signed a 3 year deal in Spain and would prefer being drafted in the 2nd round to avoid the rookie scale. The Spurs should have an outside shot at him.

The story on Claver is this: he’s an extremely athletic forward with an excellent 3 point shot and the ability to finish above the rim. Until last December, he was a surefire first round pick. That was until he fractured his left leg. Now teams don’t know what to expect from him, which is compounded with dealing with his buyout in order to secure his services. But the kid is just 21, and all that seems like a risk well worth taking.

Although, he’s listed as a combo forward, I have a hard time imagining him as anything other than a 3. He can score in the post, but he’s more or less a face-up and transition player. Moreover, he lacks the strength to guard the post.

About the time I started these profiles, Gregg Popovich was in Spain visiting his good friend Neven Spahija. In addition to being one of the world’s best coaches and a friend to the Spurs, Spahija is also Claver’s coach. While in Valencia, Popovich conceded that he and his scouts have been impressed with Claver, and it’s fair to say that he is a player they’ve watched closely.

Now of course the unavoidable conclusion to this is not that the Spurs necessarily want to draft Claver. The Spurs probably have 3 times as many players they’re interested in as picks. But as we approach the draft, he’s a player you should be aware of. If the Spurs do select him, we can at least take confidence in the fact that they’ve done their due diligence. And I would still maintain this position even if they move into the first to draft a player like Sam Young, Omri Casspi or Jonas Jerebko. Talent is talent, and sometimes you have to bet on more than one horse in order to win at the races.

A person within the Spurs organization recently told me “we understand that all franchises make some good decisions (Tony Parker), some bad decisions (Jackie Butler) and then need a little luck (Duncan and Ginobili) …” To my mind, drafting a player like Claver constitutes a good decision. But the Spurs will still need that oft-forgotten measure of good luck for the draft to be a success.

Follow the link for a YouTube clip:
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/06/20/draft-prospect-victor-claver/

spurs50_
06-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Do we really want to waste the 37th pick on someone who can't join us now. He looks good, but if he has to wait three years to play for the spurs, duncan will already be retired. Hope I'm wrong and there is a buyout.

yavozerb
06-20-2009, 02:07 PM
The spurs need to take this guy if he is there at #37 without a doubt..To think that any other player at this # would make or break the spurs next season is mistaken. You go with the best talent at this # and at 21 years of age, he would be just that.

Tully365
06-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Like most picks after the top 10 or so, this will be a difficult decision for Pop & RC. Obviously, they would like immediate help at SF, but the idea of the possibility of Splitter & Claver in the starting line up circa 2010/2011 is a pretty intriguing one too.

Bruno
06-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Claver has a buyout in his new three years contract. I've read reports saying that it was €400K others that it was €1M.

At #37 top forward college players should be Jeff Pendergraph, Derrick Brown or DeMarre Carroll. Are they that interesting prospects ?

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-20-2009, 08:24 PM
By the way, I keep seeing his name and my american/english sensibilities have me thinking it's pronounced (Clay-Vur) but since he's Spain's own, would the correct pronunciation be (Claw-Vare?)

Cluhvair. That is how you say it.

timvp
06-20-2009, 08:31 PM

How do you pronounce Bursitis? :wakeup

pad300
06-20-2009, 08:48 PM

"Cocksucker"
That's How.
I hate it when players abuse negotiations with the Spurs just to jimmy some more money out of whomever they are negotiating with seriously...

benefactor
06-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Claver has a buyout in his new three years contract. I've read reports saying that it was €400K others that it was €1M.

At #37 top forward college players should be Jeff Pendergraph, Derrick Brown or DeMarre Carroll. Are they that interesting prospects ?
Out of those three...Derrick Brown is probably the only one I would take over Claver. Pendergraph and Carroll are both nice prospects for a 37th pick, but Brown has "right now" potential IMO. I do think Claver has a really good chance at being better than about 90% of the SF's in this draft, but I cringe at the thought staring down yet another Euro contract and wondering if he will ever come over.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Do we really want to waste the 37th pick on someone who can't join us now. He looks good, but if he has to wait three years to play for the spurs, duncan will already be retired. Hope I'm wrong and there is a buyout.

Don't know about you, but I'll still be rooting for the Spurs after Duncan's retired. Might be nice to have some decent players instead of trying to draft someone that isn't as good who's going to sit on the bench the whole year not contributing anyway.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2009, 03:17 PM

No "uh" sound in Spanish. Wouldn't it be "Claw-VEHRE"?

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-21-2009, 04:34 PM
No "uh" sound in Spanish. Wouldn't it be "Claw-VEHRE"?

No.

It is pronounced Veektor Cluhvair.

Bruno
06-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Listen at the first few seconds to have the pronunciation of his name:
v_xc1zF8pX4

benefactor
06-21-2009, 04:51 PM
No.

:wakeup

Blackjack
06-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Listen at the first few seconds to have the pronunciation of his name:
v_xc1zF8pX4

I knew 3 yrs. of Spanish 2 couldn't let me down.(Even if it did interfere with my social life)

A's like- Awe

E's like- Egg

I's like- the letter E

Veek-tore Claw-Vare/Vehr (as in Very)

Just a riveting debate, on an extremely hot topic.:downspin:

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-21-2009, 08:40 PM

I knew 3 yrs. of Spanish 2 couldn't let me down.(Even if it did interfere with my social life)

A's like- Awe

E's like- Egg

I's like- the letter E

Veek-tore Claw-Vare/Vehr (as in Very)

Just a riveting debate, on an extremely hot topic.:downspin:

I told you the right way dumb ass.

Blackjack
06-21-2009, 08:44 PM

No.

I told you the right way dumb ass.

Fail...

"Dumb ass.":rolleyes

Tully365
06-21-2009, 09:28 PM
I haven't found much info about his leg fracture-- was it so severe that it has people worried that his running/leaping abilities will be permanently hampered? If not, why would a simple leg fracture suffered by a 20 year old be such a big deal? If he was a 1st round sure thing last year, I don't think a few games at the end of this season should count for too much, especially if he plainly wasn't 100%. It does look like the opportunity for a steal here, with the combination of the timing of the injury and his reps saying he doesn't want to be picked in the first round due to rookie contract complications. Tough choice. That being said, I still think I'd prefer that the Spurs avoid more euro-contract issues & go for Taj Gibson (a taller Gist type) or defensive specialist Jerebko... that is, if they are unable to move up to the first round.

ffadicted
06-21-2009, 09:35 PM
So if we draft this guy, can he actually play with the spurs this season, or will he have to stay there/will we keep him there? What do you guys think?

Because honestly, I think he's a pretty damn good prospect, especially if it's available at 37

Obstructed_View
06-21-2009, 10:17 PM
No.

Again, there's no schwa in the Spanish language, so your pronunciation suggestion is not possible.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2009, 10:18 PM
By the way, I'm sure the Blazers are grateful to the Spurs for doing their legwork for them once again on a draft pick. IOW, no fucking way this guy falls to San Antonio.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-22-2009, 02:17 AM
I haven't found much info about his leg fracture-- was it so severe that it has people worried that his running/leaping abilities will be permanently hampered? If not, why would a simple leg fracture suffered by a 20 year old be such a big deal? If he was a 1st round sure thing last year, I don't think a few games at the end of this season should count for too much, especially if he plainly wasn't 100%. It does look like the opportunity for a steal here, with the combination of the timing of the injury and his reps saying he doesn't want to be picked in the first round due to rookie contract complications. Tough choice. That being said, I still think I'd prefer that the Spurs avoid more euro-contract issues & go for Taj Gibson (a taller Gist type) or defensive specialist Jerebko... that is, if they are unable to move up to the first round.

No. He just played like crap. So of course teams would doubt him.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-22-2009, 02:18 AM
Again, there's no schwa in the Spanish language, so your pronunciation suggestion is not possible.

You are an idiot.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-22-2009, 02:19 AM
So if we draft this guy, can he actually play with the spurs this season, or will he have to stay there/will we keep him there? What do you guys think?

Because honestly, I think he's a pretty damn good prospect, especially if it's available at 37

No not really. He already signed a big contract in Spain and has a buyout of course over what NBA can pay. It will just be another Splitter/Scola deal. But it seems this is all Spurs do these days. "Steal".

urunobili
06-22-2009, 08:05 AM
By the way, I'm sure the Blazers are grateful to the Spurs for doing their legwork for them once again on a draft pick. IOW, no fucking way this guy falls to San Antonio.

:depressed

Obstructed_View
06-22-2009, 09:26 PM
You are an idiot.

Yet I'm still correct, which makes me smarter than you. Not like we didn't already know that, since I know where souvlaki comes from and you don't.

Russ
06-22-2009, 10:47 PM

Agreed. 25% chance.

GSH
06-24-2009, 12:24 AM
No not really. He already signed a big contract in Spain and has a buyout of course over what NBA can pay. It will just be another Splitter/Scola deal. But it seems this is all Spurs do these days. "Steal".

http://thecynicaleconomist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/middle-finger.jpg

ace3g
06-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Chris Haynes ‏@ChrisBHaynes

Sounds like Victor Claver will leave Valencia Basketball and pay $600,000 buyout to come to #Blazers, according to @EmiliovEscudero.

CGD
02-12-2013, 07:20 PM
The Blair to Blazers speculation leads to this bump. Anyone have any updates on this guy?
Any chances Blazers swap him for Blair? Didn't the bLazers draft and English kid that folks were really high on?

timtonymanu
02-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Eh. Claver can't even get minutes on that already terrible bench. He's been sent to the D-League a number of times this year. I haven't seen much of him but I'm assuming the Blazers aren't that high on him.

ace3g
02-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Claver in starting line up tonight due to the Wesley Matthews ankle injury:

he played 35 min the game Wesley got hurt in 1st quarter:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2013021303

and here is the boxscore for game currently

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2013021922

Beaverfuzz
02-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Claver stinks, I was at the game last night.

venitian navigator
12-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Anybody think he could be good for us?
Trade namdo for him?

NickiRasgo
05-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Dude is worst than Ayers.

BOHOLANO#21
06-12-2015, 12:38 PM
He is suppose to work out for Spurs.

BackHome
06-14-2015, 11:12 AM
He is suppose to work out for Spurs.

I heard he will be here for a few day so I guess that is good for them to see what he can really do.

BOHOLANO#21
06-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Yup. Who knows maybe the Spurs coaching staff saw something in him like former Blazers discard Patty Mills that turned out well. Maybe a Matt Bonner replacement???

Ditty
06-14-2015, 11:53 AM
A lot of guys were pretty high on him a few years back, and was going to be a lottery pick in 2008 or 2009 but had some knee injury issues that affected his draft value. He's still 26, but has been pretty bad so far in the league. Hopefully the Spurs get him on their summer league team and see what he has, I think a change in environment can be beneficial for him.

CGD
06-14-2015, 12:33 PM
I recall seeing rumblings that the Spurs were interested during his draft. Seems like he hasn't had the right situation so far (or he sucks).

I don't know much about him, is he strictly a PF? does he have range?

AFBlue
06-14-2015, 02:54 PM
While he hasn't performed well to-date in the NBA, I think his situation in Portland didn't do him any favors. Along with Aldridge, they had a bevy of other options at PF including JJ Hickson, Joel Freeland, Meyers Leonard, and Luke Babbitt. While none of those players blow you away with their talent, it's easy to see why he wouldn't have been able to stand out or have s legitimate opportunity.

I don't know whether he's a legit NBA caliber player, but I can see why the Spurs might be interested in spite of his first stint in the league.

BackHome
06-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Yeah fucking Portland loves to grab players the Spurs are interested in Batum, Claver etc..I will laugh my ass if LA comes to SA and we sign Claver and he becomes a stud that would be so sweet.....Karma Is a Bitch..:)

Watched some vids of him playing over seas he seems worth a gamble he can move his feet pretty good for a big and has a little inside and outside game. Think of him as a poor mans Splitter who likes to shoot the three ball. I can see him replacing Errors.