04-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Omri Casspi

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/omricasspi.jpg

Position: SF/PF
Height: 6' 8"
Weight: 220 lbs
Birthday: 06/22/1988
(20 Years Old)

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Omri-Casspi-538/)
nbadraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/omri-casspi)
ESPN Insider (http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=19144&draftyear=2009)

Bruno
04-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Casspi is a nice prospect. :tu

Spurs are said to be really interested in him. Given that he has the possibility to withdraw his name from the draft, I don't know if he will stay in without a first round promise. We will see at the withdrawal deadline on June 15th.

tp2021
04-30-2009, 08:27 PM
He's shorter and lighter than Gist. Can he really play PF in the NBA?

EricB
04-30-2009, 08:44 PM
He looks more along the lines of a long 3.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Ford thinks Casspi may sneak into the lottery, but I think Ford's on crack. Late first rounder at best, likely not lasting until 37.

tp2021
04-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Maybe Spurs trade their early 2nd and one of their partially-guaranteed contracts for a late 1st and whatever else so they can get him, if they value him that much. He does fill a position of need. Of course, a 1st rounder means guaranteed money.

tp2021
04-30-2009, 09:16 PM
DraftExpress has him at #38 to the Blazers. NBADraft.net has him going 29th to the Lakers. It's very possible he slips into the 2nd round, and the Spurs trade up a few spots to get him.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
DraftExpress has him at #38 to the Blazers. NBADraft.net has him going 29th to the Lakers. It's very possible he slips into the 2nd round, and the Spurs trade up a few spots to get him.
Those early second round picks are worth gold, maybe more than late first round picks, since Euro players with hefty buyouts or who want larger salaries than late first rounders can be had there. The Splitter situation is still fresh in every GM's mind. Casspi is different, he actually wants that guaranteed first round money, so trading for one of those late first round spots might not only be easier, but would allow him to stay in the draft.

Marcus Bryant
04-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Could the Spurs deal for a 1st rounder? Yes, teams are allegedly wary of the guaranteed contracts, but is that a major concern? In the mid to low 20s the rookie scale is low enough that a bum draftee doesn't really hurt a team, save for one that is close to the lux tax threshold or one who is looking to clear cap. Towards the middle of the 1st round the salaries are more significant, but so is the chance of landing a real talent. I could see the Spurs perhaps getting back into the 1st round by offering some mix of cap relief, cash money, and the #37. But they may just be able to find a contributor at #37 and save the use of Bowen and Oberto's partially guaranteed contracts for a different target.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Could the Spurs deal for a 1st rounder? Yes, teams are allegedly wary of the guaranteed contracts, but is that a major concern? In the mid to low 20s the rookie scale is low enough that a bum draftee doesn't really hurt a team, save for one that is close to the lux tax threshold or one who is looking to clear cap. Towards the middle of the 1st round the salaries are more significant, but so is the chance of landing a real talent. I could see the Spurs perhaps getting back into the 1st round by offering some mix of cap relief, cash money, and the #37. But they may just be able to find a contributor at #37 and save the use of Bowen and Oberto's partially guaranteed contracts for a different target.
Cash considerations alone could do it this year in the 25-30 range. More a Portland tactic for stocking talent, but I wouldn't rule it out if the Spurs really like someone like Casspi.

Ditty
05-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Cash considerations alone could do it this year in the 25-30 range. More a Portland tactic for stocking talent, but I wouldn't rule it out if the Spurs really like someone like Casspi.

la could possibly be one that we can trade with maybe we can give them bonner and our late 2nd round pick he could probably work well in the triangle offense while we get danny green and sergio lull

TheProfessor
05-05-2009, 12:33 AM
la could possibly be one that we can trade with maybe we can give them bonner and our late 2nd round pick he could probably work well in the triangle offense while we get danny green and sergio lull
We'd have to pay them to take Bonner. And I don't think they'd be be likely to help us on the cheap, I'd say any other team in that 25-30 range would be likelier than the Lakers.

Ditty
05-05-2009, 12:44 AM
We'd have to pay them to take Bonner. And I don't think they'd be be likely to help us on the cheap, I'd say any other team in that 25-30 range would be likelier than the Lakers.

agree

25: Thunder- they have a outside scoring big guy with nestic or whatever

26: Bulls-Possibility espically if gordon looks like he might leave they might want to take a short term contract

27: Grizzles-Highly doubt it but west has been poked in the eyes before but could make gasol into a better low post scorer with bonner playing outside and getting alot of open oppoutunitys with a good offense

28: Wolves: Might want to clear out space for i guess 2010 themselves bonner could help with jefferson inside, cardinal sucks now so bonner can replace him

30:Cavs: Danny Ferry might want a player like him that is white and can shoot the 3's jsut ferry actually helped us in the playoffs in 2001 and somewhat in 2002

duncan228
05-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Omri Casspi Bio (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txomricasspibio&prov=st&type=lgns)
By Mike Lipka

NAME: Omri Casspi

POSITION: Forward

HEIGHT: 6-foot-8

WEIGHT: 225 pounds

SCOUTING REPORT: While a few Israeli players have been drafted, none have ever suited up for an NBA team. Casspi is hoping to change that, and he could start by becoming the first player from Israel to be selected in the first round. Casspi, who will be 21 in June, thought about entering last year’s draft, but reportedly did not get a first-round guarantee and thus returned to Israeli club Maccabi Tel Aviv. While there’s a chance the same thing could happen this year, he seems to have improved his stock with another strong season in which he shot better than 50 percent from the field and averaged 8.8 points in just 17.4 minutes. Most likely a small forward in the NBA, the confident Casspi has refined his game at both ends of the court, but especially notable is his versatile offensive arsenal, which features an ability to exploit matchups due to his blend of size and aggressiveness inside, and shooting ability and athleticism outside. Casspi also is an adequate ball handler with a solid transition game, and could bring a measure of intensity ideal for an NBA bench. He could stand to add some bulk to his slim frame, and there are attitude-related issues that raise doubts about whether he’d happily serve as an energy player off the bench in the NBA. While that may likely be his eventual role, his body and skills give him the potential to play it very well, whether that’s in 2009-10 or later.

ace3g
05-15-2009, 02:04 PM
IDakqwBan54

ace3g
05-15-2009, 02:11 PM
wSe5gzsnNOo&feature=related

Bruno
05-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Just a heads up, Draft Express has us drafting him in the second round now.

Don't read too much about it. They have written above their mock "Team needs have NOT yet been taken into account in this mock draft."

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-16-2009, 07:00 PM
He's shorter and lighter than Gist. Can he really play PF in the NBA?

He is 6-9 not 6-8. But yes he is a SF.

Bruno
05-16-2009, 07:12 PM
True, but forwards and centers seem to be something the Spurs want to draft at this point.

Yes, if Casspi is available at 37, I'm quite sure Spurs will draft him.

We should have a better idea at who will be available for Spurs on June 15th after the withdrawal deadline. It's possible that Casspi withdraw his name if he doesn't get a first round promise.

Russ
05-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Casspi or Claver plus Bourousis as a FA signing.

timvp
05-16-2009, 10:57 PM
The Spurs have spent a lot of time scouting Casspi over the years. If he's there at 37, I'm pretty damn sure the Spurs will pick him.

But he's going to move up after others withdraw from the draft. I can't imagine him tumbling to 37.

mountainballer
05-18-2009, 05:01 AM
no doubt about his talent and potential. he could (and should) be a 1st rounder.
he also would fill many of the Spurs needs at the SF position.
but I absolutely can't stand this guy. I really can't see how this often arrogant behavior will fit with the Spurs. it's not this kind of nastiness and poise, the Spurs sometimes lack. it's this KG thing. this shouting at other teams players after dunks or excessive posture after a good play. I saw some of his show offs and think, what an a..hole.
however, many will argue about the Spurs environment and how they can reform such a guy. maybe true.
I still hope that when the Spurs pick and if there will be either Casspi and Dasic on the board, they will pick Dasic. better size, better athleticism and the much better defender. (he's a very good defender, not only by European standards). I think both have similar upside, but the downside of Casspi is total bust, meanwhile Dasic should at least become a Najera type player.

Ditty
05-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Casspi or Claver plus Bourousis as a FA signing.

:toast and throw in green and llull and we'll be set for the future

DPG21920
05-21-2009, 05:44 PM
He does seem to have a bit of attitude (lol, he would have like 38 Techs for hanging on the rim in the NBA), but that might not be a bad thing if he can channel it.

tav1
05-21-2009, 08:42 PM
True, but forwards and centers seem to be something the Spurs want to draft at this point.

Centers? Why would the Spurs draft a center? IMO that's the absolute last position for which they'll draft.

lurker23
05-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Centers? Why would the Spurs draft a center? IMO that's the absolute last position for which they'll draft.

You think they'll draft another PG or SG before a center? Guards on the roster under the age of 30: Parker, Hill, and Mason. Big men on the roster under the age of 30: Mahinmi and Bonner. I'd definitely say SF and C are the two positions the Spurs need to target in the offseason.

Ditty
05-21-2009, 11:10 PM
cassipi or claver

hope one of these guys opt to stay overseas so we can get them in next years draft more prefer claver to make sure he's %100

Blackjack
05-28-2009, 06:57 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/05/28/a-difficult-question/

duncan228
05-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Talk About the Passion: An Interview with Omri Casspi

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/

tomtom
05-28-2009, 10:41 PM
nice :tu

Thompson
05-29-2009, 12:27 AM
I kind of hope we get him, but I'm afraid the @#$#@% Blazers or Rockets will grab him just before we can.

benefactor
05-29-2009, 05:40 AM
The more I see and read about this guy the more I see why the Spurs have been following him around. If they are going to move up for someone, this is the player to do it for.

Blackjack
05-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Height without shoes - 6' 7.75"

Height with shoes - 6' 9.25"

Weight - 211

Wingspan - 6' 9.25"

Standing Reach - 8' 10.5"

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Height without shoes - 6' 7.75"

Height with shoes - 6' 9.25"

Weight - 211

Wingspan - 6' 9.25"

Standing Reach - 8' 10.5"

Like I said in this thread he is 6-9 NOT 6-8. Never believe draftexpress or nbadraft.net about these player heights from Europe unless it is the actual measurements. The idiots at those sites do NOT know how to use metric system. They fail at math badly.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-29-2009, 05:49 PM
I've never heard of a guy wearing inch and a half shoes.

There are several players with 1.75 inch. Just look at the site.

robert1886
05-29-2009, 05:54 PM
either way this kid can play at the 3 a much needed position and if we were to go small he can play the 4 for sure....he seems like a great all around player and person as well

D-ROB 50
05-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I like this dude, can he play next season or do we have to wait three years for him to fuck us over?

duncan228
05-30-2009, 01:24 AM
The Casspi question (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/05/the-casspi-ques.html#more)
By Jeff McDonald

The NBA draft is still nearly a month away. For everybody except the Lakers, Cavaliers, Magic and maybe the Nuggets, it's not too early to start looking ahead to June 25.

For the Spurs, much of the early speculation — emphasis on the word early — has surrounded a 20-year-old Israeli named Omri Casspi.

Casspi, a 6-foot-8 small forward, isn't exactly a household name in the Alamo City. Draft wonks, and certainly those in the Spurs front office, know exactly who he is. Casspi has been playing in the Euroleague since he was 17, most recently with Maccabi Tel Aviv. He has been on the Spurs radar for about as long.

He is a decent 3-point shooter (shooting nearly 40 percent for Maccabi Tel Aviv last season), in the mold of Utah's Matt Harpring. One of the Spurs' goals this offseason is to begin to get younger on the wing, and Casspi — still not old enough to drink legally in the United States — certainly fills the bill there.

Unlike other European prospects the Spurs have taken in recent drafts (see Splitter, Tiago), Casspi reportedly is bedazzled with the prospect of playing in the NBA, and would likely take a financial hit to make that dream come true.

So, what's to keep Casspi from taking a call from the Spurs on draft day? There are two intertwined factors.

No. 1 — There are rumors that Casspi will withdraw from the draft if he's not guaranteed to be a first round pick. At the pre-draft combine in Chicago earlier this week, he didn't exactly deny that rumor. At this point, Casspi is projected as a late first-round, early second-round selection.

No. 2 — The Spurs have no first-round pick this season, having dealt theirs (No. 25 overall) to Seattle/Oklahoma City in February 2008 as part of the Kurt Thomas deal. The Spurs do have three second-round picks (Nos. 37, 51 and 53).

Don't be surprised to see the Spurs try to trade into the bottom of the first round, if they think they have a shot at Casspi. That is one storyline worth watching on draft day.

Casspi, meanwhile, hasn't scheduled a private workout with the Spurs, and it remains uncertain that he would. He probably doesn't have to. The Spurs have been scouting Casspi for so long, they know all there is to know about him.

However, there is a long and growing list of prospects who have worked out or are believed to have worked out for the Spurs. Among them:

PG — Nic Wise of Arizona, Ben Woodside of North Dakota State, Kyle McAlarney of Notre Dame, Jeremy Pargo of Gonzaga, Donald Sloan of Texas A&M, Curtis Jerrells of Baylor and Nick Calathes of Florida.

SG — Dionte Christmas of Temple, Dwyane Collins of Miami, Alex Ruoff of West Virginia, Greivis Vasquez of Maryland, Va., Jermaine Taylor from Central Florida and Courtney Fells from North Carolina State.

SF/PF: Tyler Smith of Tennesee, Robert Dozier of Memphis and Leo Lyons from Missouri.

(I posted this on the Spurs Forum too:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127579 )

lcroock
05-30-2009, 01:47 AM
Casspi mentions the Spurs specifically in his interview today....

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Combine-Media-Availability-Interviews-3238/

TimDunkem
05-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Casspi mentions the Spurs specifically in his interview today....

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Combine-Media-Availability-Interviews-3238/
The youtube clips won't work for me. I can't hear shit.

Big P
05-30-2009, 11:20 AM
The youtube clips won't work for me. I can't hear shit.

Me neither...but I do like this kid & I'm sure Portland & the Rockets & a few others will specifically fuck us over again by picking him right before we do.:depressed

stxspurs
05-30-2009, 11:37 AM
they asked where do u think your gonna be drafted...he said 19, 20, 22...also 37 san antonio......something like that

wildbill2u
05-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Casspi is a nice prospect. :tu

Spurs are said to be really interested in him. Given that he has the possibility to withdraw his name from the draft, I don't know if he will stay in without a first round promise. We will see at the withdrawal deadline on June 15th.

There's a interview vid on DX where he names SA Spurs as interested. I remember they had some interest last year as well. Some folks thought they gave him a promise if he'd stay one more year with McCabbi to improve his skills and put on some weight.

wildbill2u
05-30-2009, 03:33 PM
I really suspect highlight vids that basically are all dunks on undefended breakaways. Any 6'8" player ought to be able to do that. I'd really like to see some defense and perimeter shooting if he's gonna be a SF

lcroock
05-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Try this link for his interview from Friday:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Omri-Casspi-538/

TheProfessor
05-30-2009, 05:12 PM
There's a interview vid on DX where he names SA Spurs as interested. I remember they had some interest last year as well. Some folks thought they gave him a promise if he'd stay one more year with McCabbi to improve his skills and put on some weight.
Not much of a promise when you trade away your first round pick. And I think Casspi is merely citing where he's heard he might go, and DX has had him at our 37th pick for a while.

mountainballer
05-30-2009, 06:14 PM
if not yet posted:

Spurs may move up for Casspi

For the Spurs, much of the early draft speculation -- emphasis on the word early -- has surrounded a 20-year-old Israeli named Omri Casspi. Don't be surprised to see the Spurs try to trade into the bottom of the first round, if they think they have a shot at Casspi. Casspi, meanwhile, hasn't scheduled a private workout with the Spurs, and it remains uncertain that he would. He probably doesn't have to. The Spurs have been scouting Casspi for so long, they know all there is to know about him.

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/104591-spurs-may-move-up-for-casspi?eref=fromSI

this reminds me a lot like last year with Batum. (with the difference that the Spurs didn't need to somehow get a 1st rounder).
ok, I start to live with it. just read on 48MoH that sourses told them that my man Dasic is a bit nuts and that teams won't touch him, otherwise he would be projected much higher. ok, if they got to chose between an arrogant player and a nut player they maybe should take the first one.
or Jerebko? he's nice and as far as I know he is all there.

Libri
06-01-2009, 12:52 PM
DraftExpress now has him going 30th to the Cavaliers. Looks like his stock is rising.

benefactor
06-01-2009, 12:55 PM
We don't have a choice. We will have to trade up if we really want him.

45 bank shot
06-01-2009, 07:55 PM
we don't have a choice. We will have to trade up if we really want him.

+1

SenorSpur
06-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Some Casspi news from a NJ Nets perspective:

http://netsarescorching.com/2009/05/29/nets-trading-their-pick/

Nets Trading Their Pick?
May 29, 2009 2009 Draft, 2009 Offseason, Rumors, Uncategorized

No this isn’t another Blake Griffin post.

And yes I know that Rod Thorn has already said that trading the pick wasn’t likely:

“A trade is always a possibility, but it is not very likely to happen, we have a pretty good mix of players lined up for the Chicago interviews.”

But still there is some interesting stuff going on in Chicago that is leading me to think otherwise. What exactly? Well, Timothy Varner and Graydon Gordian of the great Spurs blog, and TrueHoop Network associate, 48 Minutes Or Less are in Chicago covering the combine, and they were given the opportunity to interview Omri Casspi (PF/SF from Israel), who the Spurs have been interested in for a very long time. It is a great interview, and I strongly suggest that you guys check it out. Especially the 7th paragraph:

Casspi hasn’t worked out for the Spurs. He’s not sure if he will. In the coming weeks, he’s slated to work out for Minnesota, Golden State, Portland, Sacramento, and, curiously, New Jersey. In other words, picks #11, 24, 28, 31 and 32. The 37th pick, which once belonged to Golden State, is now the property of San Antonio. It’s hard to see Casspi falling that far in the draft, especially after some of the early entries pull their names. Some consider the question of whether or not Casspi will slide to 37 a moot discussion, however.

So it seems that the Nets are working this kid out. Now he is a solid player, but most mocks have him going late first/early second, so that is why he wasn’t on my big board. The Nets certainly won’t be reaching for him, so what is the point of the workouts? I don’t really know what the deal was, and Timothy was planning on asking Thorn, but couldn’t find him at the combines, he did get a chance to ask Chad Ford about it though, and this is what he told me while we were chatting on GoogleChat:

Timothy: i just talked with Chad Ford about it
he said it was a little odd
he didn’t raise an eyebrow
just said, “yeah, that is a little odd”
if I see Thorn, I’ll ask him
I’ve not see him, though
I have a couple theories that I am knocking around in my head:

The first is that we are looking to trade down because Casspi is our guy and Thorn a) doesn’t want to reach with the 11th pick for him and b) by trading down, we will probably be picking up a second round pick in this year’s draft as well.

The second theory, is that Casspi is a back-up option. Let’s say all of the top guys on the Nets’ board are gone by 11, and they don’t want to pay a player they don’t like 11th pick money. The Nets then trade down with a team that has a late first round pick (perhaps a team that needs a PG or something) and we sit and hope that Casspi is there.

My final and most interesting theory. We are looking to move Vince Carter, Yi, or Bobby Simmons. The trade is either with a late round team and we swap picks, or the deal helps land us a early second round pick. We use said pick to draft Casspi.

Now with all this being said, Casspi hasn’t worked out with us yet and he might not even impress Rod Thorn and the rest of the guys. I am just saying the fact that we are interested in him is obvious because we are working him out, and if we like him, we may trade down for him (Taking him at 11 would be such a freakin reach).

Blackjack
06-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Well, Timothy Varner and Graydon Gordian of the great Spurs blog, and TrueHoop Network associate, 48 Minutes Or Less are in Chicago covering the combine, and they were given the opportunity to interview Omri Casspi (PF/SF from Israel), who the Spurs have been interested in for a very long time.

Great blog, that "48 Minutes Or Less.":tu

duncan228
06-02-2009, 12:25 AM
They say the blog is great, which it is, and they get the name wrong. :lol

Timothy Varner and Graydon Gordian of the great Spurs blog, and TrueHoop Network associate, 48 Minutes Or Less...

Blackjack
06-02-2009, 12:56 AM
NBA Hoops: Casspi confident as draft approaches
By ALLON SINAI

Maccabi Tel Aviv forward Omri Casspi believes he is ready to play in the NBA, even though according to some reports he had a less than successful time at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago over the weekend.

Speaking to the media during the combine, Casspi was confident he is more than capable of playing in the best league in the world.

"I think I'm ready to play in the NBA," Casspi said. "I've played on one of the best teams in Europe for the last few years and I've improved every year."

However, according to ESPN's Chad Ford, the 20-year-old Israeli was far from impressive in the combine.

"A couple of players didn't fare as well. Israel's Omri Casspi had a shaky shooting day, throwing up a few air balls and bricks during the shooting drills.

"No worries, however - he's much better in a real game with real defenders," Ford said of Casspi, who is hoping to be selected in the first round of the draft at Madison Square Garden on June 25 to become the first Israeli to play in the NBA.

"Everyone in Israel is excited about me getting drafted. Israel has never had an NBA player. Everybody's looking forward to the first one," said Casspi, who will work out and interview with several teams in the coming days.

"I'm really looking forward to the interviews and workouts. I really want to do well there."

www.jpost.com

Lars
06-02-2009, 02:36 AM
I kind of hope we get him, but I'm afraid the @#$#@% Blazers or Rockets will grab him just before we can.

:downspin:

D-ROB 50
06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
This guys stock is rising, we must get into the first round, did anyone keep the receipt for KT. Why does it always seem that the spurs do all the proper scouting for talent and all the other teams reep the benefits? Bunch of theives do your own scouting,...leaches.

SenorSpur
06-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Great blog, that "48 Minutes Or Less.":tu

They must've have had that ill-fated book on the PHX Suns season, on the brain. :lol

Blackjack
06-04-2009, 02:04 AM
I would like Casspi, but not at 11. However, I did say that if the Spurs pull off the VC trade the 11th pick would most likely be included. I actually do believe the reason the Spurs didn't make the trade at the deadline was because they wanted that first round pick, but the Nets did not want to risk giving up a possible top 5 pick. if you remember the Blazers and the Bulls both had around the same chance to get the 1st pick the last two drafts and moved up.

If the Spurs find a way to land V.C. and the 11th pick, without including one of the Big 3?:smokin :drunk :flypig :flypig :flypig :elephant :elephant :elephant

loveforthegame
06-04-2009, 10:26 AM
If the Spurs find a way to land V.C. and the 11th pick, without including one of the Big 3?

Too good to be true. We're not that lucky.

tav1
06-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Personally, the best rumored deal I see is Detroit offering Amir Johnson and the 15th pick for expiring contracts. That makes sense to me. The Spurs could grab Austin Daye or Omri Casspi or Sam Young in that range. That's a great deal for San Antonio.

loveforthegame
06-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Personally, the best rumored deal I see is Detroit offering Amir Johnson and the 15th pick for expiring contracts. That makes sense to me. The Spurs could grab Austin Daye or Omri Casspi or Sam Young in that range. That's a great deal for San Antonio.

A deal like that is more realistic and would probably work out better for the Spurs.

objective
06-04-2009, 11:37 AM

Detroit isn't offering them for expiring contracts, they are supposedly offering them for capspace this summer. Amir Johnson already is an expiring 09/10 contract.

benefactor
06-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Agreed. The Spurs seem pretty well committed at this point to the 2010 plan(:rolleyes), so if they are going to jump into the first round this is the only type of deal I see them going for.

MaNu4Tres
06-04-2009, 12:34 PM
I could actually see that happening. The nets just really want that salary dump. I would guess that the only reason the Spurs do not trigger that trade is because VC will be making around 17 million when he is 35 or 36. And it completely ruins the Spurs own 2010 plan.

He will be 34 in his last year in 2010/2011. Instead of having money in 2010, Spurs would then have a 2011 plan. Being that most big names will resign with their respective teams, would do this in a heartbeat if I'm the Spurs.

Blackjack
06-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I could actually see that happening. The nets just really want that salary dump. I would guess that the only reason the Spurs do not trigger that trade is because VC will be making around 17 million when he is 35 or 36. And it completely ruins the Spurs own 2010 plan.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them deal V.C. and the 11th, I just don't think the Spurs have the best package out there.

Vince is only guaranteed 4 million (IIRC) in his last year, and as MaNu4Tres mentioned, he could potentially give the Spurs a 2011 plan.

If the Spurs could pull that deal off?

I don't see how they could turn it down.

Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening.

Blackjack
06-04-2009, 01:15 PM

• Detroit, Oklahoma City Talking Trade?

With the Detroit Pistons looking to get as far under the salary cap as they can this summer, and the Oklahoma City Thunder being one of the few teams who are able to help them shed salary, the two teams have emerged as natural trade partners, multiple NBA sources told DraftExpress this past weekend.

With very few teams projected to have cap space this summer (Oklahoma City, Memphis, Portland, Sacramento and Atlanta being the main ones), it appears that Detroit could be in great position to take advantage of the strength of this free agent class and nab a couple of pieces that would put them right back in the mix to compete for the Eastern conference finals. Detroit is currently slated to be around 20 million dollars underneath the cap, but could shed another five million or so by unloading the contracts of Amir Johnson and their first round pick (#15).

Enter the Oklahoma City Thunder. They are reportedly high on B.J. Mullens (as is Milwaukee), and likely would be able to nab him with the 15th pick. Considering how far under the cap they’ll be this summer, they would have no problem taking on Amir Johnson’s expiring 3.66 million dollar contract. They should be able to find a suitor for their late first round pick if they choose to do so, as teams like San Antonio, Houston, Toronto and Orlando are all in the market for a draft choice in that range. With the money Detroit frees up, they could go after their top two free agent targets, rumored to be Paul Millsap and Ben Gordon.

-DX

It's probably a little more realistic that a scenario like this would play out, netting the Spurs a late first-round pick.

Mel_13
06-04-2009, 02:08 PM
It's probably a little more realistic that a scenario like this would play out, netting the Spurs a late first-round pick.

It would be hilarious if the Spurs paid to get their own pick back from OKC.

Mel_13
06-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see them deal V.C. and the 11th, I just don't think the Spurs have the best package out there.

Vince is only guaranteed 4 million (IIRC) in his last year, and as MaNu4Tres mentioned, he could potentially give the Spurs a 2011 plan.

If the Spurs could pull that deal off?

I don't see how they could turn it down.

Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening.

The real problem with acquiring VC is that you cannot add him to TD, TP, and Manu without going well over the luxury tax. The Spurs would have to send Manu as part of the package.

ducks
06-04-2009, 02:12 PM
The real problem with acquiring VC is that you cannot add him to TD, TP, and Manu without going well over the luxury tax. The Spurs would have to send Manu as part of the package.

do you not think vc,tp,duncan could not win the title without manu to?

Mel_13
06-04-2009, 02:16 PM
do you not think vc,tp,duncan could not win the title without manu to?

I don't know, but that wasn't my point. The discussion above involved adding VC to the Big 3. That doesn't work financially for the Spurs.

As to whether they would be better off with VC or with Manu, that is debatable.

Blackjack
06-04-2009, 05:49 PM
It would be hilarious if the Spurs paid to get their own pick back from OKC.

Hilarious, yet, somehow fitting.:lol

Yeah, maybe there's technically a way to do it by signing only minimum-type contracts surrounding them (basically the Big 4 and a bunch of scrubs) but it's not all that feasible.

I never saw this happening the way Phila_Chamberlain suggested it might, thus the flying pigs and implied debauchery.;)

Mel_13
06-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Omri Casspi, one of the few international prospects with a chance to go in the first round, went from putting his chances at staying in the draft at 50-50 to saying without hesitation about a week later that he is planning to stick. His outlook improved that much after attending the Chicago gathering and group workouts in Minneapolis and Oakland, Calif. "I know there's a lot of big interest in me now," the 20-year-old from Israel said. Casspi is a 6-9 small forward who needs to get a lot stronger, but he is willing to play overseas for another season in a move that would allow NBA teams to take him and develop a young talent without a salary-cap hit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/scott_howard-cooper/06/05/stoudemire.notes/

D-ROB 50
06-05-2009, 04:30 PM
It sounds like it's gonna be more difficult to snag this kid than anticipated. Sucks.

benefactor
06-05-2009, 05:04 PM
It sounds like it's gonna be more difficult to snag this kid than anticipated. Sucks.
It was probably going to be pretty hard from the jump...and now he is probably on a lot of teams radars. Hopefully we can make that deal with Detroit to move up to 15.

D-ROB 50
06-05-2009, 05:11 PM
It was probably going to be pretty hard from the jump...and now he is probably on a lot of teams radars. Hopefully we can make that deal with Detroit to move up to 15.

We will probably have get in the top 20 to have a ligit shot now. :depressed

SenorSpur
06-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Problem is we need a SF now - not next year. If the Spurs can nab a mid-career veteran SF, and still get this guy, that's fine.

TheProfessor
06-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Problem is we need a SF now - not next year. If the Spurs can nab a mid-career veteran SF, and still get this guy, that's fine.
Yup. Draft isn't going to solve our problems. Take the best talent available, move up if you can without giving too much away. I think Casspi may be out of our range at this point.

SenorSpur
06-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I actually like this deal a lot better too. It moves us up into the first round (Which may or maynot explain why we talked to people like DeJuan Blair, he might drop to 15) and it keeps the 2010 plan intact. Plus the Spurs reportedly went after Amir at one point, so the interest might still be there.

My front office source has been telling me the Spurs are going to have the best chance at getting Bosh in 2010 so I hope it happens.

How is that possible. Especially when the hometown favorite (Dallas) and the Cavs (LeBron) would likely be strong suitors? Somehow, I just can't see Bosh in S.A. However, I will defer to your sources.

EricB
06-05-2009, 10:11 PM
How is that possible. Especially when the hometown favorite (Dallas) and the Cavs (LeBron) would likely be strong suitors? Somehow, I just can't see Bosh in S.A. However, I will defer to your sources.

:lol

Yeah how could Tony Parker Tim Duncan be appealable, damn that!

objective
06-06-2009, 03:44 AM
I actually like this deal a lot better too. It moves us up into the first round (Which may or maynot explain why we talked to people like DeJuan Blair, he might drop to 15) and it keeps the 2010 plan intact. Plus the Spurs reportedly went after Amir at one point, so the interest might still be there.

Sorry to repeat myself, but if it helps clear up misconceptions it's worth it.

Detroit IS NOT looking to deal the 15 and Amir Johnson for 2010 expirings. Amir Johnson himself is a 2010 expiring.

The article is alleging that they want to deal AJ and the 15 to a team that will be under the cap in July 2009 who can absorb the salaries without having to send anything back. Just like Marcus Camby to the Clippers, LA had caproom to absorb the contract. Detroit allegedly wants even more caproom for this summer to sign free agents, that would be the point of dumping the pick and a player with it like Amir Johnson.

The Spurs have no chance in a trade like this, because they're over the cap.

tp2021
06-06-2009, 02:30 PM
My front office source has been telling me the Spurs are going to have the best chance at getting Bosh in 2010 so I hope it happens.

Do you mean the Spurs have the best chance out of the 30 teams, or that out of all the players the Spurs want they have the best chance of getting Bosh?

SenorSpur
06-06-2009, 07:16 PM

Yeah how could Tony Parker Tim Duncan be appealable, damn that!

Because playing in a bigger marker, and with a younger superstar (like Lebron) would be considerably more appealing. GTFU. :sleep

Ditty
06-06-2009, 10:20 PM
he will fall to the second round watch

Blackjack
06-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Casspi's regular and post-season stats.(Pretty impressive considering the league:tu)

http://www.basket.co.il/PlayerPage.asp?PlayerNumber=13&TeamId=68&cYear=2009&lang=en

yavozerb
06-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Sources: Casspi to skip NBA draft
T&R Maccabi Tel Aviv's Omri Casspi is expected to play for a European team next year even if he is picked in the first round of the NBA draft, according to sources close to the player. Although the 20-year-old impressed scouts at training camps in the U.S., franchise officials believe another year of seasoning in Europe would benefit him.

Haaretz.com

Russ
06-07-2009, 11:08 AM
The Spurs should bait & switch this guy and go with Claver. :)

Blackjack
06-15-2009, 01:17 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#New-Jersey-Group-Workout-Wrap-Up-3259

Comments from observers in the gym:

“Austin Daye vs. Omri Casspi turned into a real wrestling match. Casspi just manhandled Daye, really threw him around. It was a bit disappointing to see how little Daye was able to compete from a strength perspective—Casspi is a kind of a skinny guy himself. At one point Casspi cut Daye’s lip open--he had to go to hospital for stitches. The Nets should have done a better job of getting someone to call fouls. Casspi was fouling the hell out of Daye. Some of the guys were looking at each other like ‘what are we watching here?’

Casspi was impressive, just like he’s been everywhere he’s gone. He plays hard, competes. He hit tough shots. Step-backs, runners. Then he missed some wide open J’s—go figure. He hits the toughest shots, but can’t always make the easiest ones. He looked like he could be a great complementary player in a 5 on 5. Definitely an atypical player for a European. “

mountainballer
06-15-2009, 02:54 AM
Casspi had a lot of very impressive work outs in the last weeks. he definitely moved up and out of our draft area and is a 1st round lock from all what is reported. even a late 2nd rounder (like the Wolves pick) likely won't be good enough to get him. there was a rumor that the Bulls might use the #16 pick on him.

loveforthegame
06-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Yeah, he's out of our reach I believe. Nothing new there.

tomtom
06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
The Spurs should bait & switch this guy and go with Claver. :)

+1 :lol

EricB
06-16-2009, 02:56 AM
Out of the 30 teams. I'm guessing something major must be going on behind closed doors but I really have no idea past what I have been told.

Wow, that would be quite, um, awesome.

Thompson
06-16-2009, 10:05 AM
So if we somehow manage to land Bosh, would Duncan officially move to center?

tav1
06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
New Jersey is hot for Casspi (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Word-on-the-Street-June-16th-3263).

"One team that might be interested in moving down in this draft is New Jersey, as they are reportedly very high on Israeli Omri Casspi, but may not want to invest such a high pick on him."

urunobili
06-16-2009, 11:07 AM
New Jersey is hot for Casspi (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Word-on-the-Street-June-16th-3263).

"One team that might be interested in moving down in this draft is New Jersey, as they are reportedly very high on Israeli Omri Casspi, but may not want to invest such a high pick on him."

tav1 is it possible that a team picks Casspi on the draft and the the Spurs trade with the team for the draft pick.. let's say... for Oberto's expiring contract or similar?

tav1
06-16-2009, 11:13 AM
tav1 is it possible that a team picks Casspi on the draft and the the Spurs trade with the team for the draft pick.. let's say... for Oberto's expiring contract or similar?

what's the incentive? Oberto is not a big enough carrot to get that mule to move. But, sure, it's possible.

urunobili
06-16-2009, 11:22 AM
what's the incentive? Oberto is not a big enough carrot to get that mule to move. But, sure, it's possible.

Maybe a team up in the draft and over the cap will draft for us... i was more thinking about a case like that... I definitively know no one would just do it for Oberto's half guaranteed expiring flat out but i just thought that that may be another possibility for us to move up... thanks

mountainballer
06-16-2009, 11:24 AM

it would mean to at least swallow the contract of Najera. and add a future 1st rounder. or add Hill. otherwise the Nets will get better offers for the #11 pick. even in a thin draft.

Blackjack
06-16-2009, 12:41 PM

Sure seems they like to chase the scent of the Spurs when it comes to the draft.

Ryan Anderson seemed like the Spurs were able to throw them off their scent, unlike Krstic before him, but I guess the Nets are persistent, if nothing else.

Pistons < Spurs
06-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Casspi Drawing Interest: The San Antonio Spurs have had eyes for Omari Casspi since the beginning of the draft process and word is they want to trade into the first round to grab him. The problem is they are not the only team with interest in Casspi. Word is Rod Thorn and the Nets are enamored with Casspi and may trade down a few slots to grab him. Casspi is projected to go anywhere from #15 to Detroit to #20 to Utah meaning both the Spurs and the Nets may have to outbid each other if they want Casspi. The #18 selection from Minnesota is supposedly in play, the question becomes does New Jersey trade down to #18 or can the Spurs convince Minnesota to give the pick to them offering up a roster player.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12972

lurker23
06-17-2009, 07:19 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12972

Interesting, thanks for posting. To me, there's a big difference between being interested enough in a guy to pick him at 37 (as we once thought was possible), and trading up into the mid-first round to get him. If the Spurs are indeed this high on Casspi, it'll be curious to see what the price will be for that high a pick and what the Spurs are willing to give up.

loveforthegame
06-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Even though it's Hoopsworld ... we know the Spurs are high on Casspi and rumors suggest the Spurs are trying to get into the first round with eyes on drafting him.

If the Nets are so high on him why don't they just draft him with the 11th pick?? 4-7 picks later really going to make a difference?

Pucho!!!
06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
I thought he took his name out the draft or sumthing like that

Blackjack
06-17-2009, 12:56 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/26986/NBA-Insider-Chad-Ford

Joel (DE)

What are your thoughts on Omri Casspi? Do you belive he can be a solid starter in the NBA?

Chad Ford

Maybe ...he's such a tough player. Reminds me a little of Matt Harping. He just needs to get a more consistent jump shot. I think he has a very good shot of being the first Israeli to go in the first round.

Ditty
06-17-2009, 02:33 PM
bonner for cassipi pick

Blackjack
06-19-2009, 12:21 AM
February 29, 2008

Get (More?) Familiar with Maccabi Tel Aviv

The low-down on one of the premier teams in the EuroLeague, thanks to a special guest appearance via Israel.

Thanks to my new gig with PeacePlayers International, I’ve recently connected with Aaron Kaplowitz, a Jersey native and Boston University grad currently in Israel, where he covers EuroLeague basketball for the Jerusalem Post. In case you didn’t know, Maccabi Tel Aviv is THE team in Israel, as well as one of the better pro overseas squads in the world and has become a recent pipeline–both ways–for players coming to and from the NBA. Not to step on my man Matt Caputo’s toes, but Aaron has exclusive coverage of a recent playoff game between Maccabi and Real Madrid, another EuroLeague power, in addition to his take on the overseas game and updates on former domestic college stars, NBA journeymen and up-and-coming foreign prospects. With no further adieu…

by Aaron Kaplowitz

During the idle hours of a pedestrian Thursday afternoon in America, more than 6,000 miles away, the best professional basketball club you’ve never heard of was playing a must-win game in front of a dynamic home crowd. Perennial European powerhouse Maccabi Tel Aviv, led by a handful of former NCAA stars and NBA vagabonds, rocked Real Madrid 94-75 at Tel Aviv’s Nokia Arena in a Top 16 EuroLeague showdown.

Will Bynum, the catalyst for Georgia Tech’s 2004 Final Four run, led Maccabi with a season-high 22 points on 9-for-11 shooting. He got help from big man and former University of Maryland standout Terence Morris, who scrapped together 16 points and 15 rebounds.

Are these names ringing a bell? Sure, both Bynum and Morris flirted with The League, logging 15 and 139 career games, respectively, but as stars in college, they had never expected to be playing in countries where soccer ranks slightly above God, and basketball ranks well below tight black jeans. For men.

“This is one of the best experiences I’ve had since college, ’cause I never really had a chance to play much in The League,” said Morris. “I’m not looking to get back [to the NBA]. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t. I’m just trying to be in the best situation that I can be happy in.”

As the second-best league in the world, the EuroLeague is a haven for late first-round and second-round draft picks. It’s a place where coddled egos wilt away and the embers of an NBA dream still glow, only more faintly with each passing year.

For players incapable of taking it to the next level, Maccabi is as good of a place as any to make a living. The team’s starting five features exactly one indigenous Israeli, 24-year-old Yotam Halperin, a 2006 second-round pick by the Supersonics. The rest of the starters are Morris; former Indiana Pacers first-round pick Vonteego Cummings; former USC star David Bluthenthal, who also has Israeli citizenship; and Esteban Batista, an afterthought for the Atlanta Hawks the past two seasons. Throw in Bynum’s raw athleticism off the bench, and it’s no wonder Maccabi is expected by many to reach the EuroLeague Final Four in Athens, especially following the 19-point drubbing of Real. Of course, the team wouldn’t be where it is today without former lottery pick Marcus Fizer, whose season likely ended two weeks ago when he tore his meniscus.

“We all get along very well,” said Cummings, who at 32, dispelled any notions of an NBA comeback. “I think the ultimate goal is just to win. If we win, everything else will take care of itself.”

From the opening tip, Real Madrid was in Real Trouble, as the soccer hooligan-like home crowd of 11,700 strong began jumping and chanting in unison, scattering confetti in the air. Both teams fed off the energy, playing at a frenetic pace, with Maccabi employing a full-court press, and Real releasing its point guard down the court on Maccabi shots, leading to repeated fast-break opportunities.

“[Nokia Arena] reminds me of The Pit,” said Real Madrid’s Charles Smith, referring to the University of New Mexico’s infamous home court, where he made a name for himself. “This crowd is amazing.”

Through the first six minutes, the teams were locked at 15-15. With 3:44 to play in the quarter, Maccabi center Nikola Vujcic checked into the game to the delight of the crowd, which welcomed him with a song, for, after all, everything and everyone at a European sporting match gets a song. At 6-feet, 11-inches, Vujcic is the best passing big man in the world, but a torn calf muscle has limited his action this season and led fans to conclude that his best days are behind him.

On Vujcic’s first offensive touch, he appeared rusty and oblivious, like a lumbering big man on the playground blacktop who thinks his height entitles him to talent.

It didn’t take long, however, for Vujcic to recover. On the following possession, he caught the ball on the left block, backed his man down and did what he does best: saw the court. While his defender was caught in a defensive trance, Vujcic whipped a perfectly delivered backdoor bullet to Bynum, who laid in two easy points to put Maccabi up by two.

With just over a minute to play in the quarter, Vujcic, wearing a blue brace on his right leg, backed into the lane, drop-stepped to the right, maintaining his pivot, drop-stepped to the left, maintaining his pivot, spun back to his right ahead of an impatient defender, hooking in an open two.

After the first quarter, Maccabi held a fragile lead, 25-24.

A minute into the second quarter, Bynum dove face-first for a loose ball in the Real backcourt, batting it in the air to kick off a fast break that epitomizes the difference between the NBA and Europe. Vujcic snagged the ball at half-court, led Maccabi on a three-on-one break, before pulling out a playground move by appearing to fling the ball AT the defender, but flicking it to himself instead.

Whistle.

Double dribble.

Let’s be honest. In the NBA, a player would not lay his body out for a ball that has no chance of going out of bounds, otherwise Steve Wojciechowski would be making millions, not assisting Coach K at Duke. A center would rarely lead a fastbreak, and would certainly not pull out any fancy pickup moves. And above all, no NBA ref in his right mind would have called the double dribble.

Vujcic, undeterred, was not done. With Maccabi clinging to a seven-point lead, he caught the ball above the foul line, and, like a painter whose canvas is the passing lanes, he snuck a perfect bounce pass by three defenders to a cutting Omri Casspi for a high-flying, two-handed baseline slam to give Tel Aviv a 35-26 lead. Maccabi used the momentum to finish off a 21-7 run that proved to be enough.

“I really enjoy passing the ball,” said Vujcic after the game. “[Toni] Kukoc said once, ‘A basket makes one guy happy, a pass makes two guys happy.’”

Like the dual benefits of a beautiful assist, when the Indian Pacers signed Sarunas Jasikevicius in 2005, the Maccabi Tel Aviv-NBA relationship became reciprocal. The following year, with Anthony Parker and Maceo Baston following suit, Maccabi established itself as a legit stepping stone to the NBA. This gives players like Morris (29 years old) and Bynum (25) the exposure to get back to The League, especially with preseason exhibitions against NBA squads becoming a standard ritual. But playing for a good team also detracts from filling the stat sheets.

“A lot of [the Americans in Europe] still have a chip on their shoulders, they still have a lot to prove,” said Derrick Sharp, who has seen his share of Americans come and go during his 13 years with Maccabi. “For some teams, they’re playing a lot of minutes, they’re looking to average 25 points. It’s probably just about them improving. If they’re on a great team like ours, or some of the elite teams in Europe, then they gotta be more of a piece to the puzzle.

“I think they have to be careful to make the decision of what team to go to, because if not, they could find themselves frustrated with not playing enough, not getting enough shots, not scoring enough points,”said Sharp, a legend in Israel who doesn’t mind that nobody’s heard of him in America. “A lot of players get caught up in that. They try to
still make it back to The League and try to use Maccabi to do it.”

Bynum fits the bill. A player with incredible talent who’s electrifying at best and erratic at worst, the former Chicago playground legend is the type of player who excels in the open court and falters in a structured system. When asked before the game about his biggest struggles playing in Europe, Bynum thinks he’s not getting the opportunity to showcase his skills.

“I think I need more minutes to dominate Europe,” said Bynum. “I just need the ball. I need 30 or more minutes [a game].”

Bynum itches for his next opportunity to get back to the NBA. He’s hoping that a strong NBA summer league showing coupled with his off-season training with former NBA player and head coach John Lucas, will allow NBA teams to realize his potential.

But the NBA seems to be taking notice of Israel’s home-grown talent. After all, with Dirk Nowitzki and Tony Parker reshaping the league, an unpronounceable European no-name is a much sexier option that an NBA has-been. When Orlando drafted Lior Eliyahu with the 44th pick of the 2006 Draft, immediately trading his rights to Houston, he became the first Israeli drafted since the Clippers selected UConn’s Doron Sheffer in 1996. Seattle took Halperin nine picks later, and suddenly two Maccabi teammates were vying for the honor of becoming the first Israeli to play in the NBA.

“Listen, it’s obvious that everybody’s biggest dream is to get to the NBA,” said Halperin. “But for now things are good with Maccabi and I only think about Maccabi.

While Eliyahu hasn’t improved much over the past two seasons, Halperin has become a reliable European point guard who can slow the tempo and punish a sagging defender from the outside. Omri Casspi, however, may leapfrog both players by getting to the NBA first.

Casspi, has earned valuable minutes this season by bringing high energy on both ends of the floor. He has explosive hops, a quick first step and an aggressive knack for getting to the basket. His shooting form resembles Shawn Marion’s, leaving much to be desired with his outside game, but, like Marion, he has the confidence to knock down the three. At 19 years old, his upside is much brighter than his fellow countrymen. He’d make for a strong second-round pick in the 2008 Draft, which he plans on entering.

“It’s a dream, it’s something that I’ve worked all these years for, but for now I’m only concentrating on Maccabi,” said Casspi. “I need to improve my shooting, my defense, my rebounding. I’m still young, I’m only 19.”

For the meantime, it’s best that Casspi and his teammates focus on next week’s home game against Greek power Olympiacos, a team that features Americans Lynn Greer, Qyntel Woods, Marc Jackson and Roderick “Moo-Moo” Blackney.

And you thought it was NBA or bust…

http://www.slamonline.com/online/blogs/2008/02/get-more-familiar-with-maccabi-tel-aviv/

Blackjack
06-19-2009, 01:10 AM
From what I've gathered, he seems open to the possibility of staying overseas for a year but it's not his intention.

But as you mention, what he and his agent wants might have to take a backseat to whatever financial situation/plan the team he lands with has with this economy and '10 looming.

EricB
06-19-2009, 02:23 AM
Yeah this would be the perfect Spurs pick.

Very very talented European player, but is stashed.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Yeah this would be the perfect Spurs pick.

Very very talented European player, but is stashed.

Let's not get carried away about his level. He is definitely not very, very talented.

SenorSpur
06-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Besides the Spurs need help at the SF position NOW - not 3 years from now.

Mr. Body
06-19-2009, 10:19 AM
This guy is not that good. Jesus, people. Let's focus here.

stxspurs
06-19-2009, 10:53 AM
if we dont move up in the draft he is going in the late teens anyway

Pistons < Spurs
06-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Draft Report: Omri Casspi Of Maccabi Tel Aviv

Omri Casspi will come to be known as the other foreign first rounder from the 2009 NBA Draft beside Ricky Rubio. As Rubio is a preternatural passer, Casspi is preternatural in the department of moving without the ball to create scoring chances for himself.

Listed officially at 6’9” and change, Casspi has excellent agility, athleticism and will be an inside/outside threat at the wing position.

His movement without the ball is as nuanced as any player I’ve seen out of the past three drafts. There is a lot of John Havlicek in this part of his game and it is at least 75% of why he is such a good scorer.

Casspi is athletic and agile enough to take full advantage of his nonstop motor, brilliant cuts and intelligent spacing.

Typically the passer makes the receiver look good, but Casspi so frequently sets himself up with easy buckets that he makes the passer look good.

When he does receive the ball near the bucket, he is a good finisher, frequently looking to dunk on people in traffic. There is a lot of strength and power in the way he converts dunk, not shying away from contact or skilled shotblockers.

Casspi has good touch when finishing off the glass or with a little teardrop runner.

He has a really good handle for his size and can bring the ball up on occasion. His balance is good and he does a nice job of remaining upright while keeping his vision up.

Though not a significant part of his game, Casspi has a little post game where he will be able to take advantage of his size against smaller wings. He has sound footwork down low, similar to the other parts of his offensive game.

As a shooter, Casspi could use some revisions to his form. He gets a lot of lift, but his left elbow sticks out too much and is awkward looking overall. He will make more perimeter shots than he will miss when left alone, but this part of his game is not nearly as good as his cuts. As a mid-range shooter, Casspi is much more reliable and be even considered above average here.

Defensively, Casspi uses that same motor, length and pure instincts as he does on offense. He is unquestionably slight of build and therefore is prone to getting muscled by stronger players, especially in the post. He won’t be a shutdown on-ball defender, but he won’t ever be considered a liability, which says a lot given the lackluster defensive histories of certain foreign born players.

Comparing Casspi overall to several similar wings in this draft such as Chase Budinger, Gerald Henderson and Wayne Ellington, I believe he is at the top of the list right behind James Harden.

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_pieces/794/20090621/draft_report_omri_casspi_of_maccabi_tel_aviv/

Blackjack
06-21-2009, 08:25 PM
There is a lot of John Havlicek in this part of his game and it is at least 75% of why he is such a good scorer.

Casspi is athletic and agile enough to take full advantage of his nonstop motor, brilliant cuts and intelligent spacing.

When he does receive the ball near the bucket, he is a good finisher, frequently looking to dunk on people in traffic. There is a lot of strength and power in the way he converts dunk, not shying away from contact or skilled shotblockers.

Defensively, Casspi uses that same motor, length and pure instincts as he does on offense.

These are the type of things I like to hear about a prospect.

Sure, it's nice to hear about good measureables and potential talent, but when you hear words like "nonstop motor", phrases like: "frequently looking to dunk on people in traffic.", "There is a lot of strength and power in the way he converts dunk, not shying away from contact or skilled shotblockers", or being compared to players like Hondo because of his intelligence and instincts, that's the kind of stuff that really catches my eye.

Casspi's apparent competitve fire and unwillingness to back down, is why I've favored him over Claver, both short and long-term.

Maybe it's unfair on my part, especially since my knowledge on the two is limited, but I haven't heard comments like: Tends to disappear, Floats, or Doesn't play to potential associated with Casspi, either.

SenorSpur
06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Draft Report: Omri Casspi Of Maccabi Tel Aviv

Omri Casspi will come to be known as the other foreign first rounder from the 2009 NBA Draft beside Ricky Rubio. As Rubio is a preternatural passer, Casspi is preternatural in the department of moving without the ball to create scoring chances for himself.

Listed officially at 6’9” and change, Casspi has excellent agility, athleticism and will be an inside/outside threat at the wing position.

His movement without the ball is as nuanced as any player I’ve seen out of the past three drafts. There is a lot of John Havlicek in this part of his game and it is at least 75% of why he is such a good scorer.

Typically the passer makes the receiver look good, but Casspi so frequently sets himself up with easy buckets that he makes the passer look good.

Casspi has good touch when finishing off the glass or with a little teardrop runner.

He has a really good handle for his size and can bring the ball up on occasion. His balance is good and he does a nice job of remaining upright while keeping his vision up.

Though not a significant part of his game, Casspi has a little post game where he will be able to take advantage of his size against smaller wings. He has sound footwork down low, similar to the other parts of his offensive game.

As a shooter, Casspi could use some revisions to his form. He gets a lot of lift, but his left elbow sticks out too much and is awkward looking overall. He will make more perimeter shots than he will miss when left alone, but this part of his game is not nearly as good as his cuts. As a mid-range shooter, Casspi is much more reliable and be even considered above average here.

Defensively, Casspi uses that same motor, length and pure instincts as he does on offense. He is unquestionably slight of build and therefore is prone to getting muscled by stronger players, especially in the post. He won’t be a shutdown on-ball defender, but he won’t ever be considered a liability, which says a lot given the lackluster defensive histories of certain foreign born players.

Comparing Casspi overall to several similar wings in this draft such as Chase Budinger, Gerald Henderson and Wayne Ellington, I believe he is at the top of the list right behind James Harden.

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_pieces/794/20090621/draft_report_omri_casspi_of_maccabi_tel_aviv/

Good read. I just wonder how the Spurs rank him on their radar and how he compares to Claver, Young and Green - in their eyes.

Thanks for posting.

objective
06-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Casspi is the one guy worth buying a pick for, even the full $3 million.

Because whichever team gets him will make all that money back and more because he'll be the first Israeli.

The Spurs should pay the bill and get him, the San Antonio jewish community itself would be enough to even it out over his rookie contract, and it's a modest one in nba terms.

Sacramento is a legit target. The #23 pick for $3 million and filler, like one of the seconds or the rights to Javtokas. The Kings have had layoffs and severe money issues, I'm sure they'd be open to the cash.

lcroock
06-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Assuming he's a good guy (although most Zionists are complete assholes) I think the Spurs might be a good fit, chemistry wise.

Who the hell do you think you are, Ahmadinejad? I'd take cover if I was you...you're about to join Sadam...

timvp
06-24-2009, 10:10 PM
-Three teams that are looking to move into the first round are Miami, San Antonio and Houston. The Heat are supposedly looking at Taj Gibson and the Spurs are intrigued by Omri Casspi and Jonas Jerebko.

bigdog
06-24-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't know who I like more between Jerebko and Casspi. If we do get into the first round, I'd be happy with either of them.

Shastafarian
06-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Jonas Jerebko SF/PF, 6'10'', 220 lbs:

After my man Dasic withdrew, Jerebko would be probably the best consolation prize if the Spurs focus on a SF and Casspi is off the boards. Jerebko has even better size and length than Casspi. He measured 6'9 3/4'' in shoes at the 2008 Euro camp in Treviso with a very nice wingspan of 6'11'' and a great standing reach of 9'.

A very good athlete, pretty quick for his size, and can do a little bit of everything. But that's also the limit. Unlike Casspi he doesn't have the skills to develop into a starter quality player in the NBA. He could become a decent role player, especially for defensive minded teams, which would make him an interesting pick for the Spurs. Pop and RC should know him pretty well as he played well (one season) in the Italian league alongside James Gist. Jerebko refused to work out for teams with only 2nd round picks. This could mean 2 things: he either got a 1st round promise, something many experts think is possible, or he wants to be picked by the team with only 2nd round picks that knows him best…well, we know that very team. Definitely a nice option at #37.

http://spursunderground.blogspot.com/2009/06/guest-blogger-alpineballer.html

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Looks like those bastards in Portland are up to their old tricks again. Today they've swapped first round picks with the Mavs, thereby moving up two spots to #22.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/062509dnspomavstrade.296e169.html

The latest ESPN mock draft has the Blazers selecting Casspi.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=InsiderMockDraft-090624a

Analysis: Why would the Blazers move up two spots in the draft? The word around the league was the Kings had zeroed in on Omri Casspi with the 23rd pick. Casspi could be a good pick for the Blazers to either keep overseas or bring over this year to provide more toughness in the frontcourt.

I certainly hope the Spurs will sneak into the round @ pick #21 or above and select him instead.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Surprise, surprise. And of course the going rate for a 1st round pick is $3 mil now.

Buddy Holly
06-24-2009, 10:42 PM
It'd be great if we could get Minny's 18.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Bonner + 2nd rounder + cash, perhaps. I don't see the reason to part with Mason unless you are getting similar value in return.

TheProfessor
06-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Looks like those bastards in Portland are up to their old tricks again. Today they've swapped first round picks with the Mavs, thereby moving up two spots to #22.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/062509dnspomavstrade.296e169.html

The latest ESPN mock draft has the Blazers selecting Casspi.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=InsiderMockDraft-090624a

Analysis: Why would the Blazers move up two spots in the draft? The word around the league was the Kings had zeroed in on Omri Casspi with the 23rd pick. Casspi could be a good pick for the Blazers to either keep overseas or bring over this year to provide more toughness in the frontcourt.

I certainly hope the Spurs will sneak into the round @ pick #21 or above and select him instead.
To be fair, this is just to move ahead of the Kings, who had likewise zeroed in on Casspi. The Spurs are not the only team to have scouted the kid. Though it's tough to tell who will fall in this draft, so who knows what will happen.

celldweller
06-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Casspi Drawing Interest: ...or can the Spurs convince Minnesota to give the pick to them offering up a roster player. (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12972)

Prediction: Spurs give up Splitter's rights & Bonner for the T-Wolves pick only if Casspi is still on the board.

I said it here!!! :king

Thompson
06-24-2009, 10:46 PM

I would laugh my butt off after Portland did that to us with Batum. Why are they going after Casspi if they already are overloaded at that position? Freakin' Blazers. I guess they're either losing some of their small forwards or figure they'll leave him overseas for a season or two, and by then they'll have an opening.

Buddy Holly
06-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Besides the Spurs need help at the SF position NOW - not 3 years from now.

Not any more. :toast

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2009, 10:50 PM
I think the Jefferson trade makes it more likely that the Spurs don't move Splitter. They're not as desperate now to add a wing such that they might be willing to take a chance on one in the draft. Plus I'm not sure how much trade value Splitter has right now. It'd be much better to wait on him or perhaps see if they can buy him out of his Tau contract this summer. More simply, they need bigs and it's not a given that they won't be looking for bigs a year from now when they aren't limited by the rookie scale to sign Splitter.

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 11:11 PM
To be fair, this is just to move ahead of the Kings, who had likewise zeroed in on Casspi. The Spurs are not the only team to have scouted the kid. Though it's tough to tell who will fall in this draft, so who knows what will happen.

If we want to get really technical, we know that Spurs have been scouting this Casspi kid for about 5 years now. That puts the timeline to about the point where Bitchard was with the Spurs organization. Obviously, he has first-hand knowledge of who the team has been scouting. So he knows practically everything about who the Spurs are hot on.

DPG21920
07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I believe Casspi signed with the Kings.

mountainballer
01-03-2011, 05:07 AM
BUMP!

remember, we talked a lot about Casspi around the 2009 draft and about him being the #1 target of the Spurs in that draft.
(btw. some interesting posts in this thread)

well, Marc Stein is just reporting this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/23514/trade-talk-latest-on-kings-casspi-landry

DeMarcus Cousins isn't the only young Sacramento King generating trade interest.

Stein Line HQ favorite Omri Casspi is also the subject of trade calls Sacramento is fielding, sources close to the situation say.

The major difference, of course, is that Cousins has been deemed an untouchable by the Kings while Casspi – depending on the quality of the offers – is a legit candidate to be moved before the Feb. 24 trading deadline.

Among the teams that have registered interest in the NBA’s first-ever Israeli: Chicago and New York.

The Bulls, in particular, like Casspi not only for his ability to shoot but also his experience in pressure situations after playing at the highest levels of the Euroleague with Maccabi Tel-Aviv as well as his defensive potential, believing that the energetic swingman would develop nicely on D under the guidance of Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau. The bonus: Casspi is shooting 40 percent from 3-point range this season – up from 36.9 percent as a rookie – to further squelch his pre-draft rep as a non-shooter.

pretty interesting. even if the Spurs don't need him badly, I can't see them have lost their former interest, especially considering that he has done better in the NBA than many expected. he more than ever displays a profile a future Spurs team could use well. (of course he also offers some qualities the Spurs could use immediately, but as mentioned, it's not that they have to fill a big hole)
however, what could the Spurs offer, beside their 2011 1st rounder? (which won't be enough, and no, Bonner won't help in this case)

btw. I always liked Landry a lot. similar situation like Casspi, Spurs don't really need a player like him. but still, the idea to get Landry as a successor of Dice looks pretty intriguing to me.

Mr. Body
01-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I was very wrong on Casspi. But don't see much to trade for him.

angelbelow
01-04-2011, 05:55 PM
BUMP!

remember, we talked a lot about Casspi around the 2009 draft and about him being the #1 target of the Spurs in that draft.
(btw. some interesting posts in this thread)

well, Marc Stein is just reporting this:

pretty interesting. even if the Spurs don't need him badly, I can't see them have lost their former interest, especially considering that he has done better in the NBA than many expected. he more than ever displays a profile a future Spurs team could use well. (of course he also offers some qualities the Spurs could use immediately, but as mentioned, it's not that they have to fill a big hole)
however, what could the Spurs offer, beside their 2011 1st rounder? (which won't be enough, and no, Bonner won't help in this case)

btw. I always liked Landry a lot. similar situation like Casspi, Spurs don't really need a player like him. but still, the idea to get Landry as a successor of Dice looks pretty intriguing to me.

I had a weird dream that we traded for and landed Landry. I can't remember who we traded or if any other player simply because I didn't about it that much. But this post jogged my memory a bit. Casspi would be the player I would really target for us. Landry is awesome but hes undersized and a poor rebounder.

Blackjack
01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Saw this, too. I'm a big fan of his and would love for him to be a Spur, I just don't see the pieces to get it done.

pad300
01-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Saw this, too. I'm a big fan of his and would love for him to be a Spur, I just don't see the pieces to get it done.

To stimulate debate, something like this would work

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=385md57

In addition, both SAS and CHI would need to send 1st round picks to SAC. Scalabrine is non-guaranteed and would immediately be waived, to preserve the universe from red-head overload...

SAS gets a better fit to fill the back up SF spot (and take over from RJ in due time). They would also make further savings by immediately cutting Udoka... It's a pretty lateral trade for them talent wise, but would theoretically give a better fit. They might ask for a future 1st from CHI, as they are doing pretty well talent wise out of this (or maybe their own 1st back and the future 1st to SAC...or maybe a SAC 2nd).

CHI fills their SG spot with an immediate upgrade (Garcia) and a potential commer.

SAC gets 2 firsts and out from Garcia's contract...

Blackjack
01-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Your link takes me to the Trade Machine but nothing in particular.

But I don't see the pieces because I don't see the players worth getting rid of that would net a gain for the Spurs this year, something I believe needed to deem it worthy.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-05-2011, 06:00 AM
Some might see this as an over-estimation, but specifically for the Spurs' needs, I think Casspi would be an upgrade over RJ. He's a better defender and rebounder, hits the 3, younger, taller, longer. The problem is he'd probably take a season to adjust to our system. As a backup he could be a game-changer, but it would cause a logjam at SF.

As a piece for the future (who might exceed expectations and learn the system quickly - he seems pretty savvy, so who knows? He might be useful this year) I'd love to have this guy. Doubt we'll get a player anywhere near as good from the draft. Can't see how it would happen though. Maybe Sacto have a crush on Anderson or Neal? One of them is expendable because they both play basically the same role. One of them and a 1st?

pad300
01-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Your link takes me to the Trade Machine but nothing in particular.

But I don't see the pieces because I don't see the players worth getting rid of that would net a gain for the Spurs this year, something I believe needed to deem it worthy.

I'm not sure why you're not getting the specific trade, but it is

SAS in Casspi, Scalabrine
SAS out Anderson

CHI in Anderson, Garcia
CHI out Scalabrine, Bogans, Watson

SAC in Bogans, Watson
SAC out Casspi, Garcia

Bruno
01-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I rather keep Anderson than trade him for Casspi.

dbestpro
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Hill will want to start and command a large salary by year after next. We seem to be stocked well at the guard position. The salaries are simliar and Sac wants a an athletic young PG in return. Seems like a good fit.

Blackjack
01-11-2011, 04:39 PM

SAS out Anderson

CHI in Anderson, Garcia

SAC in Bogans, Watson
SAC out Casspi, Garcia

That's a tough one for me on the Spurs' front. Casspi is one of my favorite players, I just really like the individual and the way he plays the game, but I'm pretty high on Anderson. And given the Spurs have RJ locked up for a while and the size, skill and position of Anderson, I think he's a better fit for them moving forward.

Casspi may be better for the Spurs in the short-term -- this year -- but I'm not positive of that. So as much as I like him, I don't think I could pull the trigger on that -- which is a testament to how highly I think of Anderson, me being able to bypass the acquisition of a player I like that much.

@dbestpro,

What's given you the impression that Indy will demand to start or look to move elsewhere if not afforded the opportunity? Honestly?

Mal
01-12-2011, 08:47 AM

SAS out Anderson

CHI in Anderson, Garcia

SAC in Bogans, Watson
SAC out Casspi, Garcia

I love trade talks, trade machine etc, but most of them have no sense. Why would Kings trade Garcia and Casspi for Bogans and Watson. Even with 2 1st round pick from Bulls and Spurs it makes no sense for them.

8FOR!3
01-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Gah and you think our 6'10 ginger sucks, you better hope you never have to see Brian Scalabrine as a Spur. He KNOWS he sucks.

pad300
01-12-2011, 10:58 AM
I love trade talks, trade machine etc, but most of them have no sense. Why would Kings trade Garcia and Casspi for Bogans and Watson. Even with 2 1st round pick from Bulls and Spurs it makes no sense for them.

It gets them out of Garcia's contract.

Gah and you think our 6'10 ginger sucks, you better hope you never have to see Brian Scalabrine as a Spur. He KNOWS he sucks.

There was a reason I suggested he'd be cut immediately...

Mal
01-14-2011, 01:17 AM
It gets them out of Garcia's contract.

Dont see Garcia`s deal as that bad to give up on Casspi.

mountainballer
01-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Dont see Garcia`s deal as that bad to give up on Casspi.

that's right. sure, he is overpayed, but not by a huge margin.
Garcia has been a solid contributor on defense and offense and the last year (2013-2014) is a TO. so he has two more years on 12 million $ combined. agree that they wouldn't sacrifice Casspi just to get rid of Garcia.

Bruno
01-14-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm not that interested in Casspi mainly because he will be hard to get. I don't see the point of getting Casspi if you have to give up Anderson or Hill.

The Kings SF I keep an eye on is Donté Greene. He has been back in the doghouse for 3 weeks. If he is still in it at the trade deadline, he will be available with Kings looking to dump his contract. Chris Quinn's expiring contract could be enough to get him.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Donté Greene has so much talent and athleticism he'd be a very good player if he can get it together but I guess this has been said about many other players who've never managed to realize their potential.

Bruno, what do you think is stopping him? Empty head? Bad work ethic? Doesn't care enough?

mountainballer
01-14-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm not that interested in Casspi mainly because he will be hard to get. I don't see the point of getting Casspi if you have to give up Anderson or Hill.

The Kings SF I keep an eye on is Donté Greene. He has been back in the doghouse for 3 weeks. If he is still in it at the trade deadline, he will be available with Kings looking to dump his contract. Chris Quinn's expiring contract could be enough to get him.

I doubt the Kings want to get rid of him that badly, that it takes just an expiring contract. it will still take a pick. I wouldn't hesitate to trade the 2011 1st rounder for him (maybe get back a 2nd rounder from the Kings? their own 2nd rounder would be nice, but this would be just trading #30 for #32. not really attractive for them. maybe the Bulls 2nd rounder they own).
as discussed in several other threads, Spurs 2011 1st rounder doesn't look very intriguing considering the draft class depth and the lock out scenario. I would invest it in a gamble like Green, who could very well become helpful this season. (remember how Wilson Chandler torched us in NY. that's the moment when you want someone like Green to match that kind of size and athleticism)

Darkwaters
01-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Good call mountainballer. +1

I don't have much faith or place much value in that first rounder. If we could do something like this I think you make it happen. I wouldn't mind Chris Quinn being bought out and returning in a scenario like this though. Hes been useful. But if thats not the case, it's by no means a deal breaker.

Bruno
01-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Bruno, what do you think is stopping him? Empty head? Bad work ethic? Doesn't care enough?

He is still a very young player. IMO, being on a team with a great coach and highly professional teammates like SA could help him a lot.

I doubt the Kings want to get rid of him that badly, that it takes just an expiring contract. it will still take a pick. I wouldn't hesitate to trade the 2011 1st rounder for him (maybe get back a 2nd rounder from the Kings? their own 2nd rounder would be nice, but this would be just trading #30 for #32. not really attractive for them. maybe the Bulls 2nd rounder they own).

Green trade value an availability with depend a lot on what will happen in the 6 weeks between now and the trade deadline. Right now, his trade value is in free fall: he hasn't scored a point since December 23rd.
I'm, like you, not high on Spurs 2011 first round pick. If Spurs need to trade him to get a player they like, they should do it. I have also no problem with Spurs trading De Colo rights.

5in10
04-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Casspi wants out, I think he would be a good fit here, of course its already gonna be a dogfight for minutes next year.

http://www.jpost.com/Sports/Article.aspx?id=215173

benefactor
04-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Dare I say it...Casspi straight up for Hill?

yavozerb
04-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Dare I say it...Casspi straight up for Hill?

I am sure the kings would do the swap in a second...I was thinking more along the line of blair for casspi..

benefactor
04-05-2011, 07:00 AM
It's an interesting scenario for both players. Blair is still limited by his size and Hill is limited by being stuck in between two positions. I would do Hill simply because I think Blair still has room(and will) develop more on both sides of the ball and Hill is pretty close to his ceiling.

Bruno
04-05-2011, 07:07 AM
I wouldn't trade Blair or Hill for Casspi.

Before his injury, James Anderson was damn good. I think he is a player who will be able to help a lot Spurs next year. I'm not even sure Casspi would be an upgrade over him.

yavozerb
04-05-2011, 08:25 AM
I wouldn't trade Blair or Hill for Casspi.

Before his injury, James Anderson was damn good. I think he is a player who will be able to help a lot Spurs next year. I'm not even sure Casspi would be an upgrade over him.

Casspi is strictly a SF who could probably even play small ball 4. I still see JA as a SG who can give you occasional minutes at the 3. These 2 players could definatly co-exist and both get good minutes..

Bruno
04-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Casspi is strictly a SF who could probably even play small ball 4. I still see JA as a SG who can give you occasional minutes at the 3. These 2 players could definatly co-exist and both get good minutes..

So you think Spurs can play with a 7 perimeter players rotation (Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, Hill, Neal, Anderson and Casspi) ?

ohmwrecker
04-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Hedo Turkoglu 2.0

Mel_13
04-05-2011, 09:40 AM
So you think Spurs can play with a 7 perimeter players rotation (Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, Hill, Neal, Anderson and Casspi) ?

I would think that Hill or Anderson would have to be included in any trade for Casspi.

yavozerb
04-05-2011, 11:46 AM

No way should the spurs not make a trade to strengthen the sf position cause of Anderson. He has done nothing to warrent big minutes for the coming season. Not sure why you are grouping casspi with Parker and Hill.
Casspi is 6'9 and can play pretty well inside, not sure why you think he is a preimeter player.

5in10
04-05-2011, 12:02 PM
I would trade bonner for him and possibly Neal to open up room for ja.

SenorSpur
04-05-2011, 01:10 PM
I rather keep Anderson than trade him for Casspi.

Me too. Anderson is just a better pure scorer than Casspi.

Now if we could ship out RJ for Casspi and whatever other assorted, non-essential pieces (i.e. Bonner, future draft pick) necessary to make a trade match, then I'm with that.

Bruno
04-05-2011, 03:26 PM
No way should the spurs not make a trade to strengthen the sf position cause of Anderson. He has done nothing to warrent big minutes for the coming season. Not sure why you are grouping casspi with Parker and Hill.
Casspi is 6'9 and can play pretty well inside, not sure why you think he is a preimeter player.

What I called "perimeter players" are PG, SG and SF.

Parker and Hill have an impact on the playing time available to Casspi through a domino effect. Spurs have a lot of quality guards with Parker, Neal, Hill and Ginobili. As a result, there isn't minutes available at SG for Anderson and Manu often plays SF.

I guess the key factor why we don't agree on Casspi is that I'm significantly higher than you on Anderson.

Bruno
04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Now if we could ship out RJ for Casspi and whatever other assorted, non-essential pieces (i.e. Bonner, future draft pick) necessary to make a trade match, then I'm with that.

Yep. That's too bad Isiah Thomas isn't a GM. He would have loved RJ's huge contract.

venitian navigator
04-06-2011, 03:55 AM
Blair-Jefferson for Thompson/Casspi/Garcia works...

I Think is possible just 'cause Garcia has a similar contract (still four years) of RJ, Casspi has already asked for a change and Jason Thompson has had a bad season (but I like his potential).

I don't know if the spurs F.O. likes Garcia...

Mel_13
04-06-2011, 03:59 AM

I Think is possible just 'cause Garcia has a similar contract (still four years) of RJ, Casspi has already asked for a change and Jason Thompson has had a bad season (but I like his potential).

Look at what Sacto has done with their payroll going forward:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/kings.jsp

No way that they give up two players on rookie contracts plus Garcia to take back 3 years of RJ at 30 million dollars.

Any trade for Casspi is going to be young player(s) for young player(s). Hill, Blair, Anderson and Neal would be the menu to choose from.

mountainballer
04-06-2011, 05:56 AM
IMO any scenarios involving the Kings this summer has to be seen in a bigger picture. to much is going on there and I'm pretty sure replacing Westphal will also be part of it. Kings will once more pick in the top 5 and they will have a lot of cap space (no matter how the CBA negotiations turn out). so there will be once more a complete roster overhaul and Casspi will only be a minor part of it. or, in other words, he might very likely be part of a package instead of being traded in a straight move.
many of the top prospects in this draft are SFs or combo forwards, considering the kings have Evans and Cousins as their building block, they will likely pick from that pool. makes Casspi even more expendable. a big question will be, what they do with Marcus Thornton. he looks great there and will want to keep him (he is restricted), but he will ask for a big contract. if they lose him, they might be interested in Anderson. (in Hill they would be interested anyhow, alongside Evans he could be a great fit). a package trade with the Kings could be an interesting option. Jason Thompson could be available as well.
would the Spurs be interested in a Casspi plus Thompson package? and what could they offer?

but back to the Anderson for Casspi question. I would do it. mainly because Neal provides most of what Spurs can hope to get from Anderson and he does it on a bargain price for two more years. Casspi just makes more sense for this Spurs roster than JA does. (btw. Casspi measured almost identically to Bonner, just 0.75'' smaller, slightly better wingspan and standing reach. he should be able to fill the Bonner role as well.)
the question is, would the Kings do it straight? likely not, considering JA's rookie season. (might take the 2011 pick as well)
I have never been a big fan of Casspi from hie Euro years (liked his talent and potential, but didn't like his attitude) but I have changed my mind quite a bit. he did mature when he came overseas.
however, what we know is that the Spurs were interested in Casspi and that they have scouted him for several years. he is still very young, so his upside should be comparable to JA's, considering his size and versatility it might be even higher.
Hill-Neal-Casspi-Blair-Splitter, that's a nice young line up.

benefactor
04-06-2011, 06:08 AM
You share a lot of my same thoughts...but the only difference for the scenario in my head was trading Hill straight up(perhaps Sacto throws in a pick?) and sliding Anderson over to the 2 guard where he would be more comfortable defensively.

mountainballer
04-06-2011, 06:11 AM

the contracts are not comparable. as Mel said, RJ has 30 more guaranteed millions over 3 years, Garcia just 12 over 2 years. (last year is a TO)
the contract of Bonner is much better compare able, 8 guaranteed millions over 2 more years. if the deal was Casspi plus Garcia for Anderson plus Bonner, it's a no brainer IMO. (outside the fact that the numbers don't work and some more players need to be added.)

mountainballer
04-06-2011, 06:17 AM
You share a lot of my same thoughts...but the only difference for the scenario in my head was trading Hill straight up(perhaps Sacto throws in a pick?) and sliding Anderson over to the 2 guard where he would be more comfortable defensively.

agreed, but this doesn't answer the question about Neal. SG minutes would IMO still be covered mainly by Manu and Neal. is Anderson an upgrade over Neal? (he has more potential and size, but currently Neal is the better and more helpful player)

yavozerb
04-06-2011, 09:27 AM
I think without a doubt the kings are going to want to make some moves this summer (no work stoppage permiting) due to there moving home cities. Cant imagine the maloof's not wanting move some that young talent for more established NBA names to try and feel an arena with at least a team that has a possbility of making the playoffs.

yavozerb
04-06-2011, 09:34 AM
agreed, but this doesn't answer the question about Neal. SG minutes would IMO still be covered mainly by Manu and Neal. is Anderson an upgrade over Neal? (he has more potential and size, but currently Neal is the better and more helpful player)

This is exactly what I told Bruno. Anderson is a SG who is forced into the SF position due to the depth at sg on the spurs. If you could move Anderson for an upgrade at SF without losing any depth at the guard positions you do it. Anderson still has youth on his side for trade value but unfortunaly also can be labeled as an often injured player already due to pre draft and in season injuries.

mountainballer
04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I think without a doubt the kings are going to want to make some moves this summer (no work stoppage permiting) due to there moving home cities. Cant imagine the maloof's not wanting move some that young talent for more established NBA names to try and feel an arena with at least a team that has a possbility of making the playoffs.

but this would of course also mean, that there is limited interest in a player like Anderson, who would come with below zero marketing potential along with unproven NBA potential as well. if Kings want an established player for the guard position, they will might Casspi as a teaser in a trade for such a player. on the other hand, being well under the cap enables them to trade for almost any contract. they could offer their top pick plus players like Casspi and Thompson for a star player, or they use the cap space for an overpayed underachiever. (the Pistons might even trow in their top pick, if a team takes Ben Gordon off their books)

Strategic
04-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Unless it's Bonner, Blair or Jefferson why trade for this guy? I've seen what Hill, Neal and Anderson can do playing beside the best in the league against the best. Along with Splitter and a couple of the D Leaguers the Spurs have one of the best youth movements in the league.

SenorSpur
04-06-2011, 11:40 AM
In my unrealistic wet dream, the Spurs are able to get Casspi straight up for Bonner - then I woke up.

Seriously though, I do like the earlier trade scenario offered with the Spurs getting Casspi, Thompson and Garcia. I don't believe that scenario would ever occur, but getting two contributing players that fill a specific need, along with a bad contract, is something to think about. As it stands, the Spurs have two bad contracts - Bonner and RJ.

Spur-Addict
04-06-2011, 12:05 PM
"I know that there are many teams, including some playoff teams, that want me ahead of next season," Casspi wrote. "I hope to find myself in a team that appreciates me as a player and a person, a team that plays like a team."

"I haven't played in a while and coach came up to me and told me he's going in different direction – and he's not going my direction," Casspi said. "So I'm not mad at nobody or trying to cry about not playing, but it is what it is.

"So hopefully I'll be in a better situation next year."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/06/3531321/kings-notes-casspi-unhappy-with.html#ixzz1IlP6YezM

SenorSpur
04-06-2011, 12:08 PM
There will likely be a long line of suitors for Casspi and I certainly believe that, given the instability of the Kings franchise, they'll be looking to deal him for the right package. I just hope the Spurs can broker some sort of deal to get him. He could easily an instant and immediate backup for RJ, as well as eventual replacement.

Anonymous Cowherd
04-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Anderson + Blair

for

Casspi + Whiteside

deal or no deal?

kobyz
04-06-2011, 05:12 PM
i don't want Casspi at all, his shot is so broke, he will never be consistent 3 point shooter, also he does a lot of noise but his mentality, focus and attitude in the game are very bad.

SenorSpur
04-06-2011, 05:56 PM
i don't want Casspi at all, his shot is so broke, he will never be consistent 3 point shooter, also he does a lot of noise but his mentality, focus and attitude in the game are very bad.

I'll be watching for all those things tonight. Oops, I can't. I forgot, Casspi is in Westphal's doghouse, so he probably wont see any action.

5in10
07-04-2011, 01:27 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214543/Knicks_Spurs_Called_Cavaliers_On_Casspi

Guess were just planning on cutting RJ out of the rotation if theyre still trying to get another SF.

mountainballer
07-05-2011, 04:14 AM
????????????????????
when did they turn down such a trade

DesignatedT
07-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Spurs had a chance to get Casspi and Thompson and turned it down. They have to be willing to pay the price if they want to retool. As of now It looks more and more like Kawhi will see time at PF.

lol what?

yavozerb
07-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Spurs had a chance to get Casspi and Thompson and turned it down. They have to be willing to pay the price if they want to retool. As of now It looks more and more like Kawhi will see time at PF.

Damn, I thought most of your BS would stop or slow down with draft completed..:bang

admiralsnackbar
07-05-2011, 06:29 PM
What's the point of trading Parker for Casspi and a 1st rd if you still have RJ and are now without a seasoned PG? That isn't re-tooling, that's just stupid management. Maybe for a Wall/Rose sure-fire home-run PG or a similarly talented big to build on, but not for a Jimmer Fredette-level player and a logjam at the 3.

admiralsnackbar
07-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Because the Spurs cannot win with what they have. Everyone wants to get rid of RJ, but as well as SA drafts, Hill would have taken over at the point, Casspi would become our SF, Thompson our starting PF and take your pick of who you want at 7....Hell you could have traded down with Hous who wanted the 7th pick and pick up 2 other young guns to help rebiuld.

I like the move we made for Kawhi but we failed to address our front court at PF. Not that Im for the trade, just making the point SA Had a shot at getting Casspi and they rejected it.

Wasn't the point you were making:

They have to be willing to pay the price if they want to retool.
If the Spurs don't get back what they need, it isn't retooling, it's just a bad trade providing -- at best -- lateral motion.

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2011, 08:37 PM

That was all speculation. Nothing was for sure. No one knows or will know but the FO.

Ditty
03-26-2012, 04:16 PM
http://morningjournal.com/articles/2012/03/24/sports/doc4f6e72af3190d307622659.txt?viewmode=4

Cavs forwards Luke Walton and Omri Casspi are candidates to be bought out of their contracts this summer. Walton might be reluctant to take anything less than the $6.1 million he’s owed because he’s a minimum player — at best — at this stage of his career. Casspi is owed $2.3 million next year. He could return to Europe, which might be his best option.

Could be a nice pickup this summer to back up whoever is starting at small forward next season.

benefactor
03-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Pass. With Leonard and Buckets the days of worrying about SF are over.

yavozerb
03-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Pass. With Leonard and Buckets the days of worrying about SF are over.

:toast....Omri back to europe makes the most sense

jjktkk
03-27-2012, 02:19 AM
http://morningjournal.com/articles/2012/03/24/sports/doc4f6e72af3190d307622659.txt?viewmode=4

Cavs forwards Luke Walton and Omri Casspi are candidates to be bought out of their contracts this summer. Walton might be reluctant to take anything less than the $6.1 million he’s owed because he’s a minimum player — at best — at this stage of his career. Casspi is owed $2.3 million next year. He could return to Europe, which might be his best option.

Could be a nice pickup this summer to back up whoever is starting at small forward next season.

Casspi has failed to produce for 2 different lottery teams. Europe/overseas is his best bet.

Darkwaters
03-27-2012, 05:15 AM
If Danny Green's asking price is too high then he might be a quality replacement. Spurs have had interest in the past.

Even if thats not true the Spurs might pick him up as a replacement to Stephen Jackson (who is only under contract through next season).

I wouldn't write him off yet, but hes definitely not a clear-cut target.

100%duncan
03-27-2012, 08:03 AM
Our SF>Casspi and he hasn't been playing well lately, I know, I know, his team is Cleveland, but maybe he should go back to Europe and blossom again there.

admiralsnackbar
04-02-2012, 05:14 PM
As of now It looks more and more like Kawhi will see time at PF.

My point is I think the Spurs draft very well but tend to not do so well in the free agent market. As such dealing parker IMO would have made us stronger as we would be adding to front court players who can play in our system, a very good defenders and with the picks 7 and 29 we could have added another pc that would help retool, make us young and more athletic.

While I do think overall it is a lateral move, it shifts from an area where we are loaded- the back court to an area in serious need of up grade, pf and SF.

I would have kept hill and delt parker.

:toast

Wild Cobra Kai
04-03-2012, 12:14 AM

T2S shit the bed ALL in this sub forum.

"Kawhi's hands are too big to shoot well"
:lol:lol:lol

Wild Cobra Kai
08-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Casspi is allegedly on the bubble in Cleveland. (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/335417-casspi-on-the-bubble)

Neal, Blair, and Joseph works, and saves us some extra tax room and roster slots.

elemento
08-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Why would SA trade a good rotation player like Neal, a young PG still in development and Blair for Casspi, who pretty much sucked his entire time in the NBA and would be a 3rd string SF behind Kawhi and S-Jax ?

That doesn't make any sense at all.

I do think that if Omri was drafted by SA, his future would probably be different in the NBA, but at this point Cleveland would trade him for anything. SA doesn't need to give all that for him.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Why would SA trade a good rotation player like Neal, a young PG still in development and Blair for Casspi, who pretty much sucked his entire time in the NBA and would be a 3rd string SF behind Kawhi and S-Jax ?

That doesn't make any sense at all.

I do think that if Omri was drafted by SA, his future would probably be different in the NBA, but at this point Cleveland would trade him for anything. SA doesn't need to give all that for him.

What would you suggest we give? Joseph won't be in SA this year. If he's on the roster, he'll be in Austin. Neal is a goner next summer at the latest. He also plays no defense and can barely dribble. Blair has topped out. These are not key pieces. We also had too many rotation players last year. I'm doubting Pop wants to go 10 deep again. Trading Neal and CoJo also clears PT for Mills and DeColo.

Manu and Jack are both 30 something FAs next summer too. We might want another young wing on the roster. Casspi had a good rookie year, but has gone downhill since on bad teams. I think he's salvageable and if you only have to give up end of rotation scraps, go for it.

venitian navigator
08-28-2012, 05:08 AM
...so why don't give them Bonner for Casspi and Leuer ? the trade works...

elemento
08-28-2012, 06:17 AM
What would you suggest we give? Joseph won't be in SA this year. If he's on the roster, he'll be in Austin. Neal is a goner next summer at the latest. He also plays no defense and can barely dribble. Blair has topped out. These are not key pieces. We also had too many rotation players last year. I'm doubting Pop wants to go 10 deep again. Trading Neal and CoJo also clears PT for Mills and DeColo.

Manu and Jack are both 30 something FAs next summer too. We might want another young wing on the roster. Casspi had a good rookie year, but has gone downhill since on bad teams. I think he's salvageable and if you only have to give up end of rotation scraps, go for it.

You can point out all the flaws of our players, but Casspi also has a lot of flaws as well and he couldn't even beat Alonzo Gee for the starting job in Cleveland, the same Gee that was waived by San Antonio.

7ppg shooting 40%FG and 31% from 3P in 20 minutes. And SA has to give up Neal, Blair and Joseph for that?

And for the record, Casspi is a career 67% FT, worse than Duncan and worse than what Tiago Splitter got last season. :lol

That's flat out terrible for a perimeter player.

If you say that Joseph will be in Austin, why would you trade him to clear PT for Mills and De Colo ?

Plus, if you doubt that Pop goes 10 deep again, then I don't see the point for Casspi. As a 3rd string SF, he won't play at all if Pop doesn't go 10-man deep.

The point is : You don't pay for something you don't need now and that you can get for free next season. Casspi is in the last year of his rookie contract.

Our SF rotation is fine for this season with Leonard and S-Jax. If in the next season S-Jax asks too much money, then Casspi would be a decent option for the backup SF position and with cap space, SA could simply offer him a decent contract and grab him.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-28-2012, 08:53 PM
...so why don't give them Bonner for Casspi and Leuer ? the trade works...

Because Leuer isn't on the team bubble? Trades that work for us don't necessarily work for Cleveland. I doubt they want Bonner any more than most on this forum.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-28-2012, 08:56 PM
You can point out all the flaws of our players, but Casspi also has a lot of flaws as well and he couldn't even beat Alonzo Gee for the starting job in Cleveland, the same Gee that was waived by San Antonio.

7ppg shooting 40%FG and 31% from 3P in 20 minutes. And SA has to give up Neal, Blair and Joseph for that?

And for the record, Casspi is a career 67% FT, worse than Duncan and worse than what Tiago Splitter got last season. :lol

That's flat out terrible for a perimeter player.

If you say that Joseph will be in Austin, why would you trade him to clear PT for Mills and De Colo ?

Plus, if you doubt that Pop goes 10 deep again, then I don't see the point for Casspi. As a 3rd string SF, he won't play at all if Pop doesn't go 10-man deep.

The point is : You don't pay for something you don't need now and that you can get for free next season. Casspi is in the last year of his rookie contract.

Our SF rotation is fine for this season with Leonard and S-Jax. If in the next season S-Jax asks too much money, then Casspi would be a decent option for the backup SF position and with cap space, SA could simply offer him a decent contract and grab him.

Don't know if you've figured this one out yet, but none of Blair, Neal, Or Joseph will be on the Spurs on 2013, either. If we want Casspi next year, better to get him NOW and give him a year to learn the system. It easily takes that long to plug a player in.

elemento
08-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Don't know if you've figured this one out yet, but none of Blair, Neal, Or Joseph will be on the Spurs on 2013, either. If we want Casspi next year, better to get him NOW and give him a year to learn the system. It easily takes that long to plug a player in.

Sorry but what you're saying doesn't make any sense. The only goner is Blair. The rest we simply don't know yet.

First, I don't even know what makes you believe that Cory Joseph won't be a Spur next season. He actually played great in the SL and showed great improvement. Cory never had a serious injury, Cory is still very young and he plays in a position very difficult to learn, especially in the Spurs system.

His case is totally different from Anderson's case. Anderson had a serious injury, Anderson is 2 years older and he actually had the chance to prove himself and played like shit.

You may hate Neal, but he actually has more trade value than Casspi right now. A lot of teams would love to have a guard like Neal coming off the bench. If SA doesn't keep him, he will have another job in the NBA quite easily. It's not his fault that he had to play out of position last season. And even playing out of position, he produced.

10/2/2 42%3P 54%TS in 20 minutes

Way better than Casspi, who produced shit numbers, with bad efficiency.

SA doesn't have to get Casspi now simply because he won't play at all. He will be a 3rd string SF in SA. Not only SA doesn't need him now, but SA simply doesn't have to pay this much to get him.

In ST, people tend to think that what's in our "neighborhood" is better than what we have and that's not always the case. This is the classic case.

Your trade doesn't make any sense for SA. If you want to ship Blair, Neal and Cory for a BIG that can help SA now, I am all for it. Not for Casspi.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Neal's a goner, and for the reason you stated: teams will want him and the Spurs won't pay market. They'll just pull another FA guard out of their asses for the minimum, like they did Neal, Green and Mills. Trust me: Neal's done here, NLT the end of next season. He'll command money, but he doesn't play enough D to get it from the Spurs like Green did. Mills is going to do to him what Green did to Anderson last year.

CoJo showed nothing good last year, and SL don't mean a damn thing. They have to decide on his year 3 options before THIS season starts. Care to make a wager? I'm in for 'no'.

elemento
08-29-2012, 10:24 PM
The problem is that you're assuming too much stuff to justify a trade that makes 0 sense for SA.

You say that Cory showed nothing good last year, but Casspi hasn't showed shit in Cleveland and Sacramento and he is going to his 4th year in the league. So why are we trading for him again ?

Having Kawhi and S-Jax also doesn't help your attempt. SA doesn't need an expensive 3rd string SF having already 12m committed in that position.

Cleveland would trade Casspi for anything at this point, even a TPE with a protected 2nd round pick. He is gone in Cleveland, just like Blair is gone in SA.

As for Neal leaving for money, that could happen with Mills as well. If Mills plays as well as you think (hopefully he does because i don't want to see Neal playing the point again) he could very well leave for more money, especially considering that he has PO after this season.

And yes, i think SA picks Cory's option. I'm in for "yes" here.

Drom John
08-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Starting next summer Joseph is going to be coached by Nash on Team Canada. That takes my "no" wager off the table.

I haven't seen a SpursTalk Cash wager in a while.