Bruno
04-30-2009, 01:49 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_marcin_gortat.jpg

Marcin Gortat | F - C
Born: Feb 17, 1984
Height: 6-11 / 2,11
Weight: 240 lbs. / 108,9 kg.
Years Pro: 1

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marcin_gortat/index.html)

He will surely be a RFA.

EricB
04-30-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't get the "Get Gortat?" stuff that was going around, was it more of a "James White!" joke? Or what?

Mal
04-30-2009, 04:06 PM
He is better big men than Bonner, Oberto and Thomas. Good court efficency.

If cheap, I would go after him. Not saying it because he is my compatriot.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 04:50 PM
He is a restricted free agent next year. I wonder what it would take to pry him away from the Magic. Very efficient player, but I think the Spurs will look elsewhere.

EricB
04-30-2009, 04:51 PM
He is better big men than Bonner, Oberto and Thomas. Good court efficency.

If cheap, I would go after him. Not saying it because he is my compatriot.

GMAFB

He is not better than Kurt Thomas.

Mal
04-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Kurt is too slow and old. He did nothing in playoffs.

Will see how Gortat play against Dalembert, Ratliff and Speights

EricB
04-30-2009, 05:44 PM

:lol

Yeah too old and slow.

Thats why when Duncan was out he was averaging double doubles.

Gtfo.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 05:58 PM

Yeah too old and slow.

Gtfo.
Thomas was over-matched in the Dallas series athletically. Gortat may have been more effective, but who knows. I still like what Thomas did on the season, but Gortat would be a good pick-up in the frontcourt.

Manufan909
04-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Yeah too old and slow.

Gtfo.

Do you really have to put gtfo or GMAFB in your responses? It's just his opinion, you don't have to be an ass about it.

Manufan909
04-30-2009, 06:10 PM

Have you watched that series? Cuz the games I watched, I didn't try to follow how Gortat did, only their starters, like Dwight, Rashard, Hedo and the others.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 06:14 PM
With Howard out next game, Gortat has an opportunity to raise his stock and receive some offers.

Manufan909
04-30-2009, 06:29 PM
True, that tonight? And he is unrestricted, correct?

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 06:36 PM
True, that tonight? And he is unrestricted, correct?
ESPN lists him as restricted. Magic have over $70 million in contracts listed already next year, and Hedo might opt out of his contract in search of more money. Gortat could be expendable.

Mal
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
I heard that he is UFA this summer and waiting for offers. He wants to play so resign with Magic is doubtful. In Spurs he can play next to best foward in the game and in s5. That is very good option. If only Spurs want him.

HarlemHeat37
04-30-2009, 06:38 PM
He and SVG dislike each other. He has also said that he wants to start for whoever he signs with, and has said that he would consider going to Europe if the offer is right.

Mal
04-30-2009, 06:49 PM
I think that Europe thing is only to get higher offer. He always dreams of NBA, and I don`t think he would leave that to play in Greece or Russia.

So far 4 min 3 rbs. Better then Bonner in 30 min

EricB
04-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Early in the season when Dwight was out a few games Gortat played well in heavy minutes. I could see him putting up Big Z numbers.

Whats his offensive game?

Garbage? Or does he have a decent shot here and there.

Mal
04-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Do Spurs need offensive minded big men ? No

Spurs need rebounding and defending big men, to help Timmy fight on the boards. Gortat is ideal for it. In 20 min of play he could put aroung 8 ppg, which is good. What do you expect from him ??

EricB
04-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Do Spurs need offensive minded big men ? No

Spurs need rebounding and defending big men, to help Timmy fight on the boards. Gortat is ideal for it. In 20 min of play he could put aroung 8 ppg, which is good. What do you expect from him ??

I expect not another Rasho.

The big man next to Duncan doesn't have to be Tony Parker offensively, but he has to have some sort of a clue, especially when Duncan sits out the second night of back to backs and stuff like that.

EricB
04-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I'd say very inconsistant. He has no go to moves, and no jumper what so ever. His footwork isn't the best, and I wouldn't say he is a threat in the low post. But I bet he could give us 5 to 10 points a game if he plays Bonner minutes.

However, mobility and athletic ability are strenths of Gortat. he runs the floor well for a legit 7 footer and in the Spurs system I could see him being that second shot blocker and low post defender along side Duncan.

Hmm, kinda sorta sounds like Francisco Elson

tp2021
04-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Hmm, kinda sorta sounds like Francisco Elson

Hope he doesn't have equitable BB IQ

EricB
04-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Hope he doesn't have equitable BB IQ

Was just about to ask that.

EricB
04-30-2009, 08:07 PM
I'd say thats about right. Only he is white. But Francisco was a little nutty in the head if you know what I mean. Gortat's IQ is questionable, but not as much as Elson's was.

Yeah, Elson always seemed a tad "off" to me.

Hmm, so hes got a better bball IQ than Elson.

Would you say if they signed him Pop would let him play, ala, his IQ isn't so bad that he needs to be yanked?

benefactor
04-30-2009, 08:08 PM
He has looked decent in tonight's game. He is deceptively quick and moves well on defense. I agree with Mal that if he plays well on defense and rebounds then he would be ideal next to Duncan as a starting C. I wouldn't mind using part of the MLE on him.

EricB
04-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Hes european so he passes that test with Pop.

szumi
04-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Whats his offensive game?

Garbage? Or does he have a decent shot here and there.

He has a jump shot and a nice touch around the rim. THe thing with Thomas isn't exacly correct. He's bigger than him, far more athletic, can run the court,block shots, has a post up game and is 11 years younger.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKBegQAeJW8

THat's his first game this season that he played extendet minutes.

tp2021
04-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Would you say if they signed him Pop would let him play, ala, his IQ isn't so bad that he needs to be yanked?

Hopefully Pop begins to understand that he can't yank players all the time for screwing up. He knows the FO can't get the exact player he might want. A good sign is that he eventually came around with Bonner. While that may not have ended well, it was necessary during the season.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Impressive through three quarters tonight - 9 points and 11 rebounds on 4/5 shooting. Magic up 17 without Howard or Lee.

EricB
04-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Hopefully Pop begins to understand that he can't yank players all the time for screwing up. He knows the FO can't get the exact player he might want. A good sign is that he eventually came around with Bonner. While that may not have ended well, it was necessary during the season.

You also can't baby them.

That was part of the reason they failed this season.

benefactor
04-30-2009, 08:31 PM
He came in an provided a near double/double in Howard's absence in a playoff elimination game. He's got my vote.

EricB
04-30-2009, 08:35 PM
He came in an provided a near double/double in Howard's absence in a playoff elimination game. He's got my vote.

Yeah thats pretty good stuff.

problem is

A. The Spurs notice.

B. the rest of the league also noticed.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah thats pretty good stuff.

problem is

A. The Spurs notice.

B. the rest of the league also noticed.
Thing is, not many teams will be able or willing to spend more than MLE over several years for Gortat with the summer of 2010 fast approaching. If the Spurs covet him, they can offer a starting job and plenty of minutes on a roster with three All-Stars. Whether he's on the Spurs' radar or not, who knows, but they could definitely make a competitive offer.

tp2021
04-30-2009, 08:41 PM
You also can't baby them.

That was part of the reason they failed this season.

?

EricB
Thing is, not many teams will be able or willing to spend more than MLE over several years for Gortat with the summer of 2010 fast approaching. If the Spurs covet him, they can offer a starting job and plenty of minutes on a roster with three All-Stars. Whether he's on the Spurs' radar or not, who knows, but they could definitely make a competitive offer.

1 year, LLE deal MIGHT get him, if hes supposedly cross ways so much with SVG.

EricB
?

I don't think Pop was enough of a hardass this season.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 08:47 PM
1 year, LLE deal MIGHT get him, if hes supposedly cross ways so much with SVG.
Magic will match that, if only to trade him. That won't take them over into Luxury Tax land sufficiently to justify losing his rights without compensation. $3 - $4 million might do it.

Mal
04-30-2009, 09:02 PM
He is worth more than LLE and everybody knows.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 09:30 PM
He is worth more than LLE and everybody knows.
If they didn't know it before tonight, they do now :lol

EricB
04-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Magic will match that, if only to trade him. That won't take them over into Luxury Tax land sufficiently to justify losing his rights without compensation. $3 - $4 million might do it.

Eh, he aint worth what McDeyss or Rasheed Wallace is.

TheProfessor
04-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Eh, he aint worth what McDeyss or Rasheed Wallace is.
Do you think $3-$4 mil gets either of them? McDyess might make that sacrifice for a legit shot at a ring; not so sure about Sheed. I'd prefer to split the MLE between two players if possible, so if I could acquire Gortat and Dahntay Jones for that much, I'd be pretty happy. You've gotten younger and improved defensively. But I suspect the Spurs will give Sheed full MLE in the end.

tp2021
04-30-2009, 09:47 PM
For clarification, how much are the LLE and MLE worth?

EricB
04-30-2009, 10:36 PM
For clarification, how much are the LLE and MLE worth?

1.8 for the LLE. and 5.5 I THINK for the MLE.

EricB
04-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Do you think $3-$4 mil gets either of them? McDyess might make that sacrifice for a legit shot at a ring; not so sure about Sheed. I'd prefer to split the MLE between two players if possible, so if I could acquire Gortat and Dahntay Jones for that much, I'd be pretty happy. You've gotten younger and improved defensively. But I suspect the Spurs will give Sheed full MLE in the end.

I think Dice would take most of the MLE.

I just can't believe Gortat is worth the FULL MLE.

I don't think the spurs believe that either.

E20
05-01-2009, 12:41 AM
This guy dunked the shit on Dalembart tonight.

Manufan909
05-01-2009, 12:56 AM
He has a jump shot and a nice touch around the rim. THe thing with Thomas isn't exacly correct. He's bigger than him, far more athletic, can run the court,block shots, has a post up game and is 11 years younger.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKBegQAeJW8

THat's his first game this season that he played extendet minutes.

Did this link work for anyone else? Even though it won't for me, but I did some looking on youtube, and realized someone has put up his highlights for alot of games he's played in, but they put in missed FTs, missed jays, fouls where he gets called for a block, as well as all the good things. He looks like a solid big. I'll have to watch the next Magic game, but they make it to the ECF.

And was he nicknamed the Polish Hammer before tonight?

Also, anyone find it odd the Magic have their best win with Howard out? I didn't watch the game, but maybe a bunh or Orlando players played out of their minds.

tp2021
05-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Did this link work for anyone else?

Not me

szumi
05-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Yes. Polish Hammer or Warlock.

mountainballer
05-01-2009, 03:44 AM
no chance to get Gortat without totally overpaying. Magic are building on a contender team, they won't hesitate to pay some tax million, considering how willing they were to burn a boatload of money on Lewis.
Battie is more or less useless and comes off the books 2010 anyhow. Gortat is a very good replacement for all what Battie provided and there is still some upside.
so, I'm not sure if the Magic wouldn't even match a full MLE offer.

biziofromdowntown
05-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Gortat > Battie

sexinthatsx
05-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Dude Gortat's no joke... whenever this guy gets PT he's productive. I can't say the same for any of the bigs on the spurs except Duncan. But then again, Kurt Thomas was played injured throughout most of the season. I'm pretty sure Gortat will get more than the LLE, I don't know about the MLE though as it's hard to tell - all teams tend to overvalue big men in the league. The problem is, if we have the MLE to spend would you rather resign Gooden or acquire Gortat? Gooden's way better on the offensive end, but Gortat's better on the defensive end. Plus, Gortat's 25 and Gooden's 28.

HarlemHeat37
05-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Gortat is going to cost a lot..he's already stated that he would like to be a starter next year, and it was rumored earlier that he would consider going back to Europe if he doesn't get the $ here..

it's going to take the MLE IMO..

as for Gortat or Gooden, I'd take The Polish Hammer..

AussieFanKurt
05-16-2009, 01:31 AM
from what i saw of him, i liked.
he's confident going to the basket from what i saw and has to heart to play well, as in he's always going to be trying out there for any team really
i wouldnt mind seeing him in SAS as a back up C or maybe starter, anythings better than bonner at C

benefactor
05-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Gortat is going to cost a lot..he's already stated that he would like to be a starter next year, and it was rumored earlier that he would consider going back to Europe if he doesn't get the $ here..

it's going to take the MLE IMO..

as for Gortat or Gooden, I'd take The Polish Hammer..
He would likely start here. I don't know if I would quite go MLE for him...but I'd do 3yrs/11-12mil for him.

I know that a lot of people like Gooden for his scoring ability but from what I have seen from Gortat he looks like the better fit. He is active around the rim and he moves very well laterally on defense for a man of his size. Not to mention he has already shown that he can step up in big game situations when called upon, as he showed when Howard was out in the playoffs.

tomtom
05-16-2009, 01:29 PM
yeah the dudes a beast, thatd be sweet if we could get him for fairly cheap

Mel_13
05-16-2009, 02:00 PM
He won't come cheap. His agent will find at least one team willing to pay the MLE. Jerome James, Nazr, and Diop all found at least one full MLE offer. Kwame got 2yrs, 8M. This guy will get paid by someone.

angel_luv
05-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Gortat is awesome. I approve. :tu

HarlemHeat37
05-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I actually wouldn't mind throwing the MLE at him..big men are always going to cost more..Gortat is exactly what we need next to Timmy..

timvp
05-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Yeah, if you sign Gortat it's going to very likely be the full MLE. Is he worth it? Tough to say. He rarely ever plays with another legit big on the Magic. He's almost always on the court when Howard is out and he's surrounded by four shooters ... so it's difficult to gauge how he'd do without Duncan. It probably isn't a good sign that Van Gundy never pairs Howard with Gortat.

I don't like that he is whining about starting ... that wouldn't fit well in San Antonio. Even if the Spurs sign him, a Duncan/Gortat frontline might not always be what makes sense in the starting lineup.

I like his rebounding, shotblocking and overall strength in the middle. He's pretty damn limited on the offensive end so there's a risk he won't work that well with Duncan. But the gains on the other end are likely worth the offensive shortcomings.

For a one-year deal at the MLE, he makes a lot of sense. Multiple years? That's tough to say. The potential payoff in the 2010 plan (via free agency or trade) is probably worth more than simply signing Marcin Gortat.

Manufan909
05-16-2009, 05:12 PM
I actually wouldn't mind throwing the MLE at him..big men are always going to cost more..Gortat is exactly what we need next to Timmy..

+1

And to timvp, fuck 2010. The FO should take advantage this year. No one will come to SA when teams in big markets like the Knicks are getting ready for that.

timvp
05-16-2009, 07:50 PM
+1

And to timvp, fuck 2010. The FO should take advantage this year. No one will come to SA when teams in big markets like the Knicks are getting ready for that.
Free agency is only one option in 2010. Trading for players on teams looking to salary dump is a very real option. And the players the Spurs will be offered will be much better than Gortat.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-16-2009, 08:00 PM
He is for sure better than the junk centers the Spurs have.

HarlemHeat37
05-16-2009, 08:16 PM
the reason he doesn't play with Howard is because their styles are too similar..Gortat doesn't have a reliable J, and he plays close to the basket..Howard has no ability at all to play far from the basket..

Duncan plays the high post better than any big in the NBA, and he makes the mid-range J at a pretty consistent rate..

I would rather fill the big man spot, as opposed to filling the SF spot with a big-name..getting an athletic player on the wing is a much easier spot to fill..I'd much rather the Spurs roll the dice on a guy like Hairston or Gist at the wing, as opposed to having Thomas or Bonner as our starting big next year..

DAF86
05-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah, if you sign Gortat it's going to very likely be the full MLE. Is he worth it? Tough to say. He rarely ever plays with another legit big on the Magic. He's almost always on the court when Howard is out and he's surrounded by four shooters ... so it's difficult to gauge how he'd do without Duncan. It probably isn't a good sign that Van Gundy never pairs Howard with Gortat.

I don't like that he is whining about starting ... that wouldn't fit well in San Antonio. Even if the Spurs sign him, a Duncan/Gortat frontline might not always be what makes sense in the starting lineup.

I like his rebounding, shotblocking and overall strength in the middle. He's pretty damn limited on the offensive end so there's a risk he won't work that well with Duncan. But the gains on the other end are likely worth the offensive shortcomings.

For a one-year deal at the MLE, he makes a lot of sense. Multiple years? That's tough to say. The potential payoff in the 2010 plan (via free agency or trade) is probably worth more than simply signing Marcin Gortat.

I don't know how much money the MLE is, but let me tell you that if it is something close to what Bonner is making then he is totally worth it. To know this you just have to see him play, he's not only tough and pretty agile for his size, he also has a high BB IQ and he isn't as limited as you think on offense, he has a pretty decent touch around the rim.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-16-2009, 08:18 PM
I don't know how much money the MLE is, but let me tell you that if it is something close to what Bonner is making then he is totally worth it. To know this you just have to see him play, he's not only tough and pretty agile for his size, he also has a high BB IQ and he isn't as limited as you think on offense, he has a pretty decent touch around the rim.

MLE is like 5.5 millions to start and goes up by 8.5% each year. But for next year MLE will be lower because NBA make less money due to economy.

BackHome
05-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Ok two questions is Gorat better then Bourousis?

Second one is the Italian League that Gist playing in consider a competative team? i mean are we talking College or D Leauge or better?

Blackjack
05-17-2009, 01:30 AM
Duncan plays the high post better than any big in the NBA, and he makes the mid-range J at a pretty consistent rate..

Expect to keep on seeing Tim playing from the high-post for the remainder of his career, if this year was any indication.

Pop really believes it benefits Tim, and the team, to limit the amount of banging he recieves during the regular-season, so Tim being more of a face-up/ high-post player, seems to be his answer.

I would rather fill the big man spot, as opposed to filling the SF spot with a big-name..getting an athletic player on the wing is a much easier spot to fill..I'd much rather the Spurs roll the dice on a guy like Hairston or Gist at the wing, as opposed to having Thomas or Bonner as our starting big next year..

I feel where you're coming from but if you could get a player like Butler, you could probably find a good big in free-agency or the draft that could bring a similar skill-set to Gortat. Hell, from what I saw of Javtokas in the Olympics?

They might already have a Gortat in the pipeline.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-17-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't know how much money the MLE is, but let me tell you that if it is something close to what Bonner is making then he is totally worth it.

Bonner is making $3M, and the MLE is around $5.8M.

Mal
05-17-2009, 02:37 PM
If Spurs want to give full MLE to McDyess or Sheed, I think better give it to Gortat.

Mel_13
05-17-2009, 02:44 PM
If Spurs want to give full MLE to McDyess or Sheed, I think better give it to Gortat.

Agreed, at some point you have to go younger and take the high risk/high reward route instead of the more conservative option. I wouldn't push for taking a risk on a 15M player, but Gortat for the MLE could work.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Ok two questions is Gorat better then Bourousis?

Second one is the Italian League that Gist playing in consider a competative team? i mean are we talking College or D Leauge or better?

First Italy league is way above D-League. It cannot even be compared.

Gortat is good and I like him as a player Spurs should get. Compare to Bourousis? Bourousis is a MUCH more skilled player and much more complete as a talent. He is also bigger and stronger. And Bourousis can play next to Duncan and spread the floor. I would be all for Spurs to get Gortat but Bourousis is a much more skilled player than him.

urunobili
05-17-2009, 07:18 PM

:tu

BackHome
05-17-2009, 09:39 PM
First Italy league is way above D-League. It cannot even be compared.

Gortat is good and I like him as a player Spurs should get. Compare to Bourousis? Bourousis is a MUCH more skilled player and much more complete as a talent. He is also bigger and stronger. And Bourousis can play next to Duncan and spread the floor. I would be all for Spurs to get Gortat but Bourousis is a much more skilled player than him.

Thanks Kill Bill..

HarlemHeat37
05-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Gortat just keeps impressing..

I felt strongly about going after him before, and he's made me want him even more now..I really hope we make a strong run at him, I think he would be very good in this system..he's going to have a number of teams looking at him though, so it won't be easy..I just hope the FO looks into it deeply..

benefactor
05-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Indeed. I said before that I wouldn't go full MLE for him but I am starting to have a change of heart.

urunobili
05-25-2009, 10:07 PM
He deserves the MLE.. otherwise someone else will take him for that...

trajik dark
05-25-2009, 11:14 PM
He deserves the MLE.. otherwise someone else will take him for that...agree go after him please no more bonner at center or the nba lol

Ditty
05-25-2009, 11:15 PM
thanks but no thanks

bonner without range

trajik dark
05-25-2009, 11:19 PM
thanks but no thanks

bonner without rangewell i guest u like timmy in the middle by himself with no help and a center that cant play d and runs real slow with a hump back that cant even rebound

bigdog
05-26-2009, 12:40 AM
thanks but no thanks

bonner without range

SERIOUSLY? have you seen a single second of Gortat on the court? This guys has 100 times the balls that Bonner has, he rebounds, and blocks shots, and he can finish around the basket. Not to mention, he has a decent short range jumpshot in the paint.

HarlemHeat37
05-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Gortat is nothing like Bonner in any way, what the fuck? LOL..

05-26-2009, 12:46 AM
he's pretty good defensively but doesn't have much offense. worth it for the LLE, but can't really see the spurs getting into a bidding wars with orlando.

Ditty
05-26-2009, 12:52 AM
well i guest u like timmy in the middle by himself with no help and a center that cant play d and runs real slow with a hump back that cant even rebound

well this guy is not going to make it better he's too slow

might as well kept sean marks

who can run the floor

Ditty
05-26-2009, 12:53 AM
SERIOUSLY? have you seen a single second of Gortat on the court? This guys has 100 times the balls that Bonner has, he rebounds, and blocks shots, and he can finish around the basket. Not to mention, he has a decent short range jumpshot in the paint.

:wakeup

trajik dark
05-26-2009, 01:08 AM

who can run the floorso what you sayin is bonner is better right?

Ditty
05-26-2009, 01:11 AM
so what you sayin is bonner is better right?

fuck no but its not going to help anymore bringing in gortat and sticking with him for 3 or 4 years

another rasho?

i dont think so

trajik dark
05-26-2009, 01:23 AM
fuck no but its not going to help anymore bringing in gortat and sticking with him for 3 or 4 years

another rasho?

i dont think solol rasho is better then bonner so why not bring him over, but gortat will be great for our ball club ,it will save timmy knees and give us the size we need includin ian comeback

benefactor
05-26-2009, 05:21 AM

who can run the floor
Seriously, you are just talking out of your ass now. If you haven't watched the guy play then STFU because your opinion is worthless.

polandprzem
05-26-2009, 06:43 AM
Gortat is a team guy and a hardworker. He would be a great compliment to Timmy, but damn Orlando is playing really great right now so unfortunatelly somebody will sweep him for more money.
You can say that spurs can't afford Gortat. And they are still looking for Ian to show that he is worthy.

polandprzem
05-26-2009, 06:51 AM
btw :lol

Americans can't figure a new nick for polish guys.

It's always was a Polish Hammer :lol

urunobili
05-26-2009, 08:27 AM
thanks but no thanks

bonner without range

:lol Gortat's bb IQ >>>>>>>>>> Bonner's and he doesnt back down on pressure and he doesnt get mental lapses after mistakes... shall i go on??? :loser

polandprzem
05-26-2009, 08:34 AM
:lol Gortat's bb IQ >>>>>>>>>> Bonner's and he doesnt back down on pressure and he doesnt get mental lapses after mistakes... shall i go on??? :loser

Yup, you can say that he is probably as good defender as rasho was plus shot blocking ability.
And he is much better ofensivly. Rasho could not finish at the rim even with a layup. Gortat can finish strong, all in all he can dunk from the FT line and that tells something about his athleticism as a 7 footer.

Ditty
05-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Seriously, you are just talking out of your ass now. If you haven't watched the guy play then STFU because your opinion is worthless.

I've seen him on the sideline :lol

he can rebound i agree

but would be another 1st round exit :depressed

we need a guy who can score

dirk would rape this guy :rolleyes

benefactor
05-26-2009, 12:47 PM

he can rebound i agree

You figured out that clicking on a smiley will insert it into your post. Good for you. You are still a dumbass though.

Ditty
05-26-2009, 12:51 PM
You figured out that clicking on a smiley will insert it into your post. Good for you. You are still a dumbass though.

:wakeup must be easy douchbag

benefactor
05-26-2009, 12:52 PM

Ive seen him on the court...pinning Lebron's drive attempt against the glass.

he can rebound i agree

...and block shots and run the floor. I have seen him during these playoffs moving laterally quickly enough to get in front of a guard along the baseline to draw a charge.

This has more to do with Manu than Gortat.

No...we have scorers. We need role players who can help us become a better defensive team.

Who can guard Dirk anyway?

Ditty
05-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Ive seen him on the court...pinning Lebron's drive attempt against the glass.

...and block shots and run the floor. I have seen him during these playoffs moving laterally quickly enough to get in front of a guard along the baseline to draw a charge.

This has more to do with Manu than Gortat.

No...we have scorers. We need role players who can help us become a better defensive team.

Who can guard Dirk anyway?

could agree about everything besides the scoring part

2 years in a row we have lost in the playoffs becuase we dont have someone to step up and score

if we end up signing a guy that can score maybe ill give this guy maybe a 2 or 3 year try so yall can get off his nuts more than im on ariza's nuts :lol

but would not waste the whole MLE for this guy maybe he's got potential and he's young but has not proved nothing as a starter in a playoffs

benefactor
05-26-2009, 01:17 PM
but would not waste the whole MLE for this guy maybe he's got potential and he's young but has not proved nothing as a starter in a playoffs
Closeout game vs. Philly when Howard was out...11pts, 15reb(4 offensive), 4stl, 2ast.

Anything else?

Ditty
05-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Closeout game vs. Philly when Howard was out...11pts, 15reb(4 offensive), 4stl, 2ast.

Anything else?

one game?

but ill make sure to check him out tonight :toast

HarlemHeat37
05-26-2009, 01:40 PM
He has actually filled in very nicely every time Howard has been out this year..

He plays solid defense, rebounds, he finishes hard at the rim, he's athletic, he works hard..we can definitely afford him, but it'll probably take most, if not all of the MLE..

I don't see a better option as the #1 target..

SenorSpur
05-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I knew nothing about this kid Gortat until the playoffs. I really like what I've seen of him. This kid could really help shore up the frontline and the playoff experience he's getting makes him even more of a valuable asset to a team like the Spurs. There's no doubt that he should be one of the Spurs primary offseason FA targets.

That said, the SF position is still a black hole on this team. While it may be the easiset position to fill, it's STILL the one position that has been neglected the most and it needs to be fortified very badly. I'm thinking by way of one mid-career player via trade and a rookie upstart.

Ideally, I would hope the Spurs can land Gortat and solve the SF equation this offseason.

urunobili
05-26-2009, 02:13 PM
He has actually filled in very nicely every time Howard has been out this year..

He plays solid defense, rebounds, he finishes hard at the rim, he's athletic, he works hard..we can definitely afford him, but it'll probably take most, if not all of the MLE..

I don't see a better option as the #1 target..

I think the Spurs should go up to 6.5 mill a year with this guy... maybe even more... 20 mill 3 year offer is very deserving too...

yavozerb
05-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Has gortat shown any offensive abilities other than dunking the ball? How has his defense looked during the series? I really havn't been able to watch too many orlando games so I was just wondering.

Soul
05-26-2009, 03:09 PM
As a Magic fan I've seen him develop this year, unfortunately I doubt we could keep him..

Strengths:

Solid defender, doesn't make much mistakes other than just not getting enough experience.. he'll learn
Can block shots easily, and keeps blocked shots inbounds
Good offensive rebounder
Good offensive game, confident around the rim and has a good short jumper (Dwight can actually learn from him around the hoop)
VERY underrated dunker
Good at getting charge calls

Weaknesses:

While he is a good rebounder, he often jumps at the wrong times and thus losing an easy defensive board
He has good hands but he bobbles the ball a lot if you're attempting a shovel pass, etc
Doesn't have the quickest lateral movement.. can get beat sometimes (as Big Z showed lol)

I definitely think he can be a 10/8 player next year.. maybe even more depending how teams use him.

Ditty
05-26-2009, 04:54 PM
well if were not going to get wallace or mcdyess him and bourousis would be nice i guess

yavozerb
05-26-2009, 05:07 PM
I think the Spurs should go up to 6.5 mill a year with this guy... maybe even more... 20 mill 3 year offer is very deserving too...

The guy doesn't sound too bad..No way I would pay him more than 4 mil a year though..

benefactor
05-26-2009, 05:32 PM
The bottom line is this...big men with Gortat's abilities on an NBA level are few and far between. They are hard to spot and even harder to keep. We know this from experience. There have been two big needs on this team for a while now...a new SF to replace Bruce and a mobile big who plays defense and gets on the boards. From a free agency standpoint, there aren't any realistic options to upgrade the SF position significantly. The players that are available are either going to be too expensive or will opt to stay with the the teams they are currently on.

If we plan to make a run at Gortat we have offer him the full MLE. You can't just keep low balling good players and expect them to jump. Having him on our front line would be an instant upgrade defensively and it would help shore up our mismatches that we have had when facing other contenders that have big, physical front lines. Add in the fact that he has shown he can step up his game when called upon in the playoffs and 5 million a year seems like a bargain.

poop
05-26-2009, 05:36 PM
id be very happy with Gortat. he provides what we need inside as much or more than anyone else who is attainable and is young

Soul
05-26-2009, 06:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuxwxBQNSQk

benefactor
05-26-2009, 06:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuxwxBQNSQk
Nice mix. He has really nice touch with the left hand.

SenorSpur
05-26-2009, 10:46 PM
The bottom line is this...big men with Gortat's abilities on an NBA level are few and far between. They are hard to spot and even harder to keep. We know this from experience. There have been two big needs on this team for a while now...a new SF to replace Bruce and a mobile big who plays defense and gets on the boards. From a free agency standpoint, there aren't any realistic options to upgrade the SF position significantly. The players that are available are either going to be too expensive or will opt to stay with the the teams they are currently on.

]If we plan to make a run at Gortat we have offer him the full MLE. You can't just keep low balling good players and expect them to jump. Having him on our front line would be an instant upgrade defensively and it would help shore up our mismatches that we have had when facing other contenders that have big, physical front lines. Add in the fact that he has shown he can step up his game when called upon in the playoffs and 5 million a year seems like a bargain.

This is, by far, the soundest justification I've read to support the case for giving Gortat the MLE. You've made some very salient points. I like the idea of potentially pairing this kid up with Duncan and having Ian developing in a support role. I also like a potential future frontline of Ian, Gortat and Splitter.

The acquisition of Gortat would present a significant frontline upgrade and also allow us to "put the bed" the unfounded talk of possible Sheed and Camby acquisitions.

Knoxxx
05-28-2009, 07:25 PM
I would not mind Gortat either, but having trouble seeing him at the MLE level given the limited playing time and stats he has produced. Let's hope this is a guy we can get for less money, nice job Orlando for getting him for peanuts this year, but I guess they don't like him out there with Howard much.

sam1617
05-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Solid big men are worth a lot on the market, he probably will get a contract in the 6 mil range. Best case scenario, he wants to play for a winner, likes SA and is willing to take a long term deal at a reduced rate, maybe 20 for 4 years. He would fit in extremely well with Timmy on the floor, and is a huge upgrade over Matt and KT in almost every way. KT is still a little better on the ball defender, and Matt is obviously a better shooter, but other than that...

Gortat would be great.

EricB
06-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Gortat will want money. A s&t involving kurt Thomas someone who the magic wanted badly last year is a possibility.

urunobili
06-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Gortat will want money. A s&t involving kurt Thomas someone who the magic wanted badly last year is a possibility.

EricB how that would work money wise for orlando and the Spurs?

The only we i think we still this guy is because the Magic will have to pay Hedo and will be over the tax... sucking up Thomas contract goes against that.. Im confused :S

Brazil
06-01-2009, 10:00 AM
As a Magic fan I've seen him develop this year, unfortunately I doubt we could keep him..

Strengths:

Solid defender, doesn't make much mistakes other than just not getting enough experience.. he'll learn
Can block shots easily, and keeps blocked shots inbounds
Good offensive rebounder
Good offensive game, confident around the rim and has a good short jumper (Dwight can actually learn from him around the hoop)
VERY underrated dunker
Good at getting charge calls

Weaknesses:

While he is a good rebounder, he often jumps at the wrong times and thus losing an easy defensive board
He has good hands but he bobbles the ball a lot if you're attempting a shovel pass, etc
Doesn't have the quickest lateral movement.. can get beat sometimes (as Big Z showed lol)

I definitely think he can be a 10/8 player next year.. maybe even more depending how teams use him.

Thanks soul for these observations. Interesting big indeed

Manufan909
06-01-2009, 11:29 AM
This is, by far, the soundest justification I've read to support the case for giving Gortat the MLE. You've made some very salient points. I like the idea of potentially pairing this kid up with Duncan and having Ian developing in a support role. I also like a potential future frontline of Ian, Gortat and Splitter.

The acquisition of Gortat would present a significant frontline upgrade and also allow us to "put the bed" the unfounded talk of possible Sheed and Camby acquisitions.

SF- Bowen, Finley, Gist, Hairston, Williams

PF/C(not Timmy)- KT, Bonner, Ian

I think the big outlook is much more precarious right now. If Hairston an one of Williams/Gist make it, i think the Spurs are fine in that department. But the Spurs NEED to sign Javtokas/Bourasis/ Gortat/McDyess to end up with a solid frontline. And also have Bonner only be ahead of KT in rotations.

objective
06-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Here's the concern I have about Gortat :

The Magic have deemed that he can't play next to Howard, only in replacement of. I certainly can't remember them playing together. 82games doesn't list a Howard-Gortat pairing in the top 20 of 5 man floor units by playing time.

If he can't play next to Howard, then how could he start next to Duncan who is a good bit slower than Howard now at this point of his career?

Who will be covering the faster, more mobile big men? The Magic coaching staff has determined that it wouldn't work in Orlando with Howard, but somehow he's supposed to fit right in with Duncan?

sam1617
06-02-2009, 04:01 PM
He couldn't play next to Howard because they play the same game on offense and defense. It would make no sense to run them together. Tim doesn't really play as much of a post up game anymore, he shoots ft line jumpers now. And on D, its not like we have anyone who can cover quick big men anyways, and if we need that, we bring Ian "Ow, Ankle Hurts" Mahinimi.

benefactor
06-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Here's the concern I have about Gortat :

The Magic have deemed that he can't play next to Howard, only in replacement of. I certainly can't remember them playing together. 82games doesn't list a Howard-Gortat pairing in the top 20 of 5 man floor units by playing time.

If he can't play next to Howard, then how could he start next to Duncan who is a good bit slower than Howard now at this point of his career?

Who will be covering the faster, more mobile big men? The Magic coaching staff has determined that it wouldn't work in Orlando with Howard, but somehow he's supposed to fit right in with Duncan?
The Magic coaching staff are morons.

lcroock
06-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Throwing mid level $$ at a guy who has not sustained consistency in the NBA is not the way to go, especially considering that the Spurs want a proven player that will help us compete for titles while Duncan can still get up and down the court. Considering that we have Ian and we will be signing Splitter next year it makes more sense to sign someone like Mcdyess/Wallace. Having said this all, Gortat will not be getting mid level $$, unless someone like Cuban goes overboard. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a 1-year deal if he doesn't get a deal at or around $20-25M. Regardless of how good a big man is defensively or on the boards, if he does not have a post game he is not worth big money. Just look at Marcus Camby, Ben Wallace, Malik Rose, Jim Mcclvaine, etc. Just a few examples of big men who were drastically overpaid and drastically hurt their respective teams' salary caps. The plan should be to sign a vet for 1 yr (Rasheed/Mcdyess) and the go after Bosh next year. If Ian pans out and Splitter comes over next year we'll be set up front.

benefactor
06-02-2009, 07:14 PM
All these people that want Wallace/Dice over Gortat will be cussing the front office when Gortat is putting up 10/8/2 on another team next season.

urunobili
06-02-2009, 10:17 PM
All these people that want Wallace/Dice over Gortat will be cussing the front office when Gortat is putting up 10/8/2 on another team next season.

:depressed

Ditty
06-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Throwing mid level $$ at a guy who has not sustained consistency in the NBA is not the way to go, especially considering that the Spurs want a proven player that will help us compete for titles while Duncan can still get up and down the court. Considering that we have Ian and we will be signing Splitter next year it makes more sense to sign someone like Mcdyess/Wallace. Having said this all, Gortat will not be getting mid level $$, unless someone like Cuban goes overboard. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a 1-year deal if he doesn't get a deal at or around $20-25M. Regardless of how good a big man is defensively or on the boards, if he does not have a post game he is not worth big money. Just look at Marcus Camby, Ben Wallace, Malik Rose, Jim Mcclvaine, etc. Just a few examples of big men who were drastically overpaid and drastically hurt their respective teams' salary caps. The plan should be to sign a vet for 1 yr (Rasheed/Mcdyess) and the go after Bosh next year. If Ian pans out and Splitter comes over next year we'll be set up front.

:toast

rookie has the same strategy as me i want to win now

NewJerSpur
06-03-2009, 01:05 AM
He'd be better than any big we have on the roster not named Tim duncan at this point. He contests shots at the rim without fouling, can rebound, has a solid jumper, and can even throw it down at the rim (when he doesn't bobble the ball a bit on passes).

Manufan909
06-03-2009, 12:43 PM
He'd be better than any big we have on the roster not named Tim duncan at this point. He contests shots at the rim without fouling, can rebound, has a solid jumper, and can even throw it down at the rim (when he doesn't bobble the ball a bit on passes).

:toast

Getting McDyess or Sheed will not help the Spurs anymore short-term than Gortat. And long-term, he blows their worth(even combined), out of the water. If Bourasis or Javtokas could be brought over for a decent price, then forget him. But aging vets obviously aren't the way to go.

SenorSpur
06-03-2009, 02:12 PM
By now, it's best to forget about Bourasis or Javtokas. They aint coming, folks.

ducks
06-03-2009, 02:32 PM
lets see what he does against lakers

Manufan909
06-03-2009, 05:06 PM
By now, it's best to forget about Bourasis or Javtokas. They aint coming, folks.

I can dream!!!

ducks
06-03-2009, 05:18 PM
I can dream!!!

you can only dream about them and about a woman:downspin:

Ocotillo
06-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Why not a sign and trade? They want salary relief? Bowen/Oberto could be shipped. They want Thomas? Why not?

With a sign and trade, we would still have the MLE for a small forward if we wanted.

benefactor
06-05-2009, 04:30 AM
In 20min last night....4pts, 8reb, 4blk, 2stl....and there were several times where he was open in the lane but the Magic were busy working the ball around the perimeter looking for a shot. He was very active and did an outstanding job defending Gasol.

We have to at least make a run at him. If we give four million a year to some Greek stiff and someone else signs Gortat for the MLE I am going to be pissed.

SenorSpur
06-05-2009, 07:51 AM
in 20min last night....4pts, 8reb, 4blk, 2stl....and there were several times where he was open in the lane but the magic were busy working the ball around the perimeter looking for a shot. He was very active and did an outstanding job defending gasol.

We have to at least make a run at him. If we give four million a year to some greek stiff and someone else signs gortat for the mle i am going to be pissed.

+1

urunobili
06-05-2009, 08:00 AM
If we give four million a year to some Greek stiff and someone else signs Gortat for the MLE I am going to be pissed.

I think you shouldn't underestimate Bourousis game vs. Gortat's...

Let's wait and see how it pans out.. I'd hate to see most of y'all intelligent posters get angry with the Spurs front office even before seeing a player's game meshing with TD... ala George Hill last year... :toast

If we get him and not Gortat.. please give the guy a chance before hating him...

loveforthegame
06-05-2009, 10:52 AM
In 20min last night....4pts, 8reb, 4blk, 2stl....and there were several times where he was open in the lane but the Magic were busy working the ball around the perimeter looking for a shot. He was very active and did an outstanding job defending Gasol.

We have to at least make a run at him. If we give four million a year to some Greek stiff and someone else signs Gortat for the MLE I am going to be pissed.

He had an impressive dunk on Bynum. I like his hustle and he does a good job not falling for the pump fakes. Keeps his arms straight up. Reminds me of Oberto when he taps the ball out if he can't secure the rebound. Crafty around the basket while the defense is focusing on the shooters. Good mobility and runs the floor well.

But I have a feeling the Spurs won't throw the entire MLE at him and someone else scoops him up. :bang

Indazone
06-05-2009, 10:56 AM
He's a good player but not worth the MLE

poop
06-05-2009, 11:03 AM
this guy is pretty much just what we need right now.

unfortunately all the exposure hes getting is only gonna make him more expensive

lefty
06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Gortat's nose is huge

It's bigger than my... it's big

Mel_13
06-05-2009, 11:07 AM

He may not be worth it, but he definitely will get it.

TampaDude
06-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Gortat is solid. The Spurs should consider him.

yavozerb
06-05-2009, 12:11 PM

Agreed...And unfortunatly he will also be overpayed, no thanks.

Libri
06-05-2009, 12:24 PM
I haven't seen much of his offensive skills. He did make a jump shot against the Lakers and seemed comfortable doing it.

benefactor
06-05-2009, 12:43 PM

Let's wait and see how it pans out.. I'd hate to see most of y'all intelligent posters get angry with the Spurs front office even before seeing a player's game meshing with TD... ala George Hill last year... :toast

If we get him and not Gortat.. please give the guy a chance before hating him...
I really don't mean to come across like I hate the guy. I guess KBP has posioned me against him a little bit.

Bourousis probably has a legit shot at being a decent role player in this league...and if we sign him I will be as objective as I am with any other role player on this team. But we are talking about two different players here. One player has done nothing in the NBA and is being signed based on his potential, and the other one is providing productive minutes in the NBA playoffs. Gortat provided a double/double in a closeout game when Howard was out. He sent away LeBron at the rim and sent away Gasol on the block...repeatedly. If you are going to commit 3-4 million a year over multiple years to a player you go with the proven product, and Gortat is providing the evidence that he is just that.

As far as giving him the MLE goes, here is my response to that:

If we plan to make a run at Gortat we have offer him the full MLE. You can't just keep low balling good players and expect them to jump. Having him on our front line would be an instant upgrade defensively and it would help shore up our mismatches that we have had when facing other contenders that have big, physical front lines. Add in the fact that he has shown he can step up his game when called upon in the playoffs and 5 million a year seems like a bargain.

benefactor
06-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I haven't seen much of his offensive skills. He did make a jump shot against the Lakers and seemed comfortable doing it.
He actually has a fairly nice outside stroke. You just don't see it much because the Magic are content with using their other offensive weapons. He could at least hit the little baseline jumper that Oberto shoots.

He won't be asked to do much offensively anyway. The huge benefits we will reap from his defense and his rebounding will cancel out any offense he doesn't provide.

Mel_13
06-05-2009, 12:58 PM
As far as giving him the MLE goes, here is my response to that:

+1

Any team interested in Gortat will have to offer the full MLE for the maximum number of years. After his performance in the playoffs he will likely be able to choose from among several such offers.

It is entirely possible that the Spurs could make a max offer and come away empty handed. The reported interest in Bourousis may be a case of pursuing a more attainable target.

I'd rather have Gortat than Bourousis, but I'd also rather take a chance with Bourousis than settle for Sheed or Dice.

yavozerb
06-05-2009, 01:14 PM
If you sign this guy for 6mil you might as well group in a class of big men with:jerome james (who got paid cause he also did well in the playoffs), Nazr,and foster..I think the guy is a good role player but not someone who would make a difference and If I am going to give someone 6mil they better at this point make the spurs better which I do not think he is much better than thomas at this point. Bourrosis is an unknown player to 99% of us but I would rather gamble with 10 mil total (from rumors) than 18-20 mil (which some are suggesting).

HarlemHeat37
06-05-2009, 01:25 PM
do some of you watch the games? LOL..Gortat is much, much better than an old Kurt Thomas..if you gave us KT in his prime, he would be fine as our starter, but he isn't..Gortat is clearly much better..

did you guys see the D he played against Bynum and Gasol yesterday?..they couldn't back him down at all, and they were throwing up ugly bricks against him..he also finished strong at the rim, and he would have had more points had they called an obvious hack by Bynum on one of his layups..

this guy is a perfect Spur..the fact that Timmy can play both the low post and the high post makes this a good fit..

benefactor
06-05-2009, 05:00 PM
If you sign this guy for 6mil you might as well group in a class of big men with:jerome james (who got paid cause he also did well in the playoffs), Nazr,and foster..I think the guy is a good role player but not someone who would make a difference and If I am going to give someone 6mil they better at this point make the spurs better which I do not think he is much better than thomas at this point. Bourrosis is an unknown player to 99% of us but I would rather gamble with 10 mil total (from rumors) than 18-20 mil (which some are suggesting).
:downspin:

yavozerb
06-05-2009, 05:10 PM
He actually has a fairly nice outside stroke. You just don't see it much because the Magic are content with using their other offensive weapons. He could at least hit the little baseline jumper that Oberto shoots.
He won't be asked to do much offensively anyway. The huge benefits we will reap from his defense and his rebounding will cancel out any offense he doesn't provide.

Thats setting your standards high..:lol

benefactor
06-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Thats setting your standards high..:lol
That is as high as they need to be. If he can hit a couple of those when he is open or roll to the basket off a double for a dunk then that is all we need from him offensively.

SenorSpur
06-05-2009, 06:01 PM

Like what has been said earlier, I don't wanna come across as a hater on Bourousis either. I give the edge to Gortat now because he's doin' his thing against NBA competition. He's as close to a sure thing, for a big, as there is out there. The Spurs need that level of contribution now. I don't want to have to wait until another international prospect has to be either bought out of his Euro contract or needs time to see if his talents translate to the NBA.

06-05-2009, 06:47 PM
gortat for $3-4 would be a good deal. i noticed that the magic are already paying $6 million for a backup center in battie and will have to worry about turkoglu if he opts out. magic also have to worry about their long term cap space. his athelticism, defense, and rebounding are more what the spurs need next to duncan.

anything more would be a gamble. i don't think he will develop much offense.

Bruno
06-05-2009, 07:01 PM
The main problem of Gortat is that there isn't a lot of skills in his body. Paying $5M per year for a player that limited isn't a good idea.

EricB
06-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I would offer 3 million, anything over that, is over paying.

benefactor
06-05-2009, 09:07 PM
The main problem of Gortat is that there isn't a lot of skills in his body. Paying $5M per year for a player that limited isn't a good idea.
There have been some flashes of what he can do offensively, but as I said before, the Magic just choose to go to their other offensive weapons when he is in the game.

I also find it strange that it is acceptable to pay a player who is good on offense but is limited on defense yet when the roles are reversed it is deemed unacceptable. Considering what Drew Gooden was making before he came to the Spurs, I don't see anything wrong with paying 5 million a year to a player that can give such an immediate impact on our interior defense and rebounding. True mobile bigs are simply not going to come any cheaper.

HarlemHeat37
06-06-2009, 12:29 AM
it doesn't matter if you guys think that's overpaying him..whether he deserves that amount of $ or not, somebody is going to give it to him..

Blackjack
06-06-2009, 01:08 AM
it doesn't matter if you guys think that's overpaying him..whether he deserves that amount of $ or not, somebody is going to give it to him..

+1

He's a solid rotation big, and that in itself, usually warrants more than 3 million.

If you think he's an upgrade over Bonner and Oberto, I don't know how you can expect for him to be payed the same or less than them.

yavozerb
06-06-2009, 09:24 AM

I would rather it not be the spurs...

objective
06-06-2009, 04:25 PM
The more I think about it the more I think he's going to be out of the Spurs price range.

He's no secret, he's not under the radar. He gets talked up constantly on the ABC radio broadcasts, he's playing in high profile games in high profile series. Every team board out there knows about him, there's general nba-talk threads about him everywhere.

I get the feeling he might get signed by a team under the cap to a deal exceeding the MLE, average of 7 or 8. He could get signed by OKC. He could be signed by Detroit to pair with Boozer/Milsapp, they have enough money. It's a replay of Okur, back-up big on a team in the finals, gets greater than MLE contract.

Bruno
06-06-2009, 04:33 PM
I also find it strange that it is acceptable to pay a player who is good on offense but is limited on defense yet when the roles are reversed it is deemed unacceptable. Considering what Drew Gooden was making before he came to the Spurs, I don't see anything wrong with paying 5 million a year to a player that can give such an immediate impact on our interior defense and rebounding. True mobile bigs are simply not going to come any cheaper.

Well, I'm also against giving the full MLE for a player like Gooden.

benefactor
06-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Well, I'm also against giving the full MLE for a player like Gooden.
You are going to have a hard time finding bigs then. You have to at least agree he is worth more than Bonner...who made almost 3 million last season and will make 3.2 million this season.

I think a good comparison is Joel Przybilla. His game is similar to Gortat, where he is pretty limited offensively but is a great defender and rebounder. His contract will paid him 6.3 million this year and will pay him 6.8 million next year. Furthermore, you also have Darko Milicic making 7 million and 7.5 million between last season and this season. Even Anderson Varejao made 5.7 million last year.

All of these players have similar games to Gortat(I actually think he is much better that Darko or Varejao) and they all are making more than the MLE. The market for these types of players is what it is for a reason...they bring the intangibles needed that define championship teams. Championships are won with defense and on the glass. Scoring gets you what it has gotten the Suns over the last decade.

Bruno
06-06-2009, 08:25 PM
You are going to have a hard time finding bigs then. You have to at least agree he is worth more than Bonner...who made almost 3 million last season and will make 3.2 million this season.

Using hindsight isn't fair to judge contracts.
We can also say Gortat is worth more than Kenny Thomas, whose next year salary is $8.8M.

And it isn't only a question of yearly salary, it is also the length of the contract. If Spurs have to give a full MLE contract ($33M over 5 years) to get him, I don't think they should do it.
Even if Gortat has been good in limited minutes with Orlando, it's far from sure than he can be as good in a bigger role for Spurs.

The max contract I would give to Gortat is $12M/3 years. If Spurs takes the 2010 plan road, I wouldn't offer him a contact.

benefactor
06-06-2009, 08:27 PM
The more I think about it the more I think he's going to be out of the Spurs price range.

He's no secret, he's not under the radar. He gets talked up constantly on the ABC radio broadcasts, he's playing in high profile games in high profile series. Every team board out there knows about him, there's general nba-talk threads about him everywhere.

I get the feeling he might get signed by a team under the cap to a deal exceeding the MLE, average of 7 or 8. He could get signed by OKC. He could be signed by Detroit to pair with Boozer/Milsapp, they have enough money. It's a replay of Okur, back-up big on a team in the finals, gets greater than MLE contract.
The catch here is that you might have a lot of teams that will be reluctant to spend their MLE this summer because they are not willing to cut into their 2010 cap space. I have been of the opinion from the beginning that we will probably not be luring a big name in 2010 and we will be left signing solid role players. I would gladly take this as one of those signings.

benefactor
06-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Using hindsight isn't fair to judge contracts.
We can also say Gortat is worth more than Kenny Thomas, whose next year salary is $8.8M.

And it isn't only a question of yearly salary, it is also the length of the contract. If Spurs have to give a full MLE contract ($33M over 5 years) to get him, I don't think they should do it.
Even if Gortat has been good in limited minutes with Orlando, it's far from sure than he can be as good in a bigger role for Spurs.

The max contract I would give to Gortat is $12M/3 years. If Spurs takes the 2010 plan road, I wouldn't offer him a contact.
5yrs/33 million might bit a little steep...we can agree there. That's actually a little over the MLE, isn't it(6.6 million a year)?

I would probably go something in the middle. Maybe 4 years/22-23 million.

Bruno
06-06-2009, 08:43 PM
I think a good comparison is Joel Przybilla. His game is similar to Gortat, where he is pretty limited offensively but is a great defender and rebounder. His contract will paid him 6.3 million this year and will pay him 6.8 million next year. Furthermore, you also have Darko Milicic making 7 million and 7.5 million between last season and this season. Even Anderson Varejao made 5.7 million last year.

Przybilla: averaged 6.1 pts and 7 rbds before he got his contract.
Varejao: averaged 6.8 pts and 6.7 rbds before he got his contract.
Milicic: averaged 8.0 pts and 5.5 rbds before he got his contract.

Gortat: averaged 3.8 pts and 4.6 rbds this year

All of these players have similar games to Gortat(I actually think he is much better that Darko or Varejao) and they all are making more than the MLE. The market for these types of players is what it is for a reason...they bring the intangibles needed that define championship teams. Championships are won with defense and on the glass. Scoring gets you what it has gotten the Suns over the last decade.

Sorry but that's some serious BS.
It's not because defense win championship that you can give a big contract to Gortat.
Since players like Gortat "bring the intangibles needed that define championship teams", who was the last player in the Gortat mold to be a big part of a championship team ?

Bruno
06-06-2009, 08:45 PM
5yrs/33 million might bit a little steep...we can agree there. That's actually a little over the MLE, isn't it(6.6 million a year)?

$33M/ 5 years is a full MLE contract with max raises.

TDMVPDPOY
06-06-2009, 09:02 PM
this is as stupid as paying rasho what he got from us...NO.

benefactor
06-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Przybilla: averaged 6.1 pts and 7 rbds before he got his contract.
Varejao: averaged 6.8 pts and 6.7 rbds before he got his contract.
Milicic: averaged 8.0 pts and 5.5 rbds before he got his contract.

Gortat: averaged 3.8 pts and 4.6 rbds this year

Both Darko and Varejao played 24 MPG in those seasons. Przybilla played 25. Gortat only played 12.6 MPG...so if you increased his minutes to the level that those other players played you see similar numbers.

Sorry but that's some serious BS.
It's not because defense win championship that you can give a big contract to Gortat.
Since players like Gortat "bring the intangibles needed that define championship teams", who was the last player in the Gortat mold to be a big part of a championship team ?
I think you are missing my point here. It's more about certain things a team needs to win a championship. The man who has been protecting the paint for us for the last decade is getting old. This part of his game is a big reason we have the trophies we have. As you can see by the Lakers, teams that rebound are also championship contenders. We can no longer rely on Timmy to do all the work on the boards. If you stare down our front line you see Bonner, Thomas, Oberto and Mahinmi. Two players who completely suck at rebounding, one who is long in the tooth and another who is completely unproven.

Duncan in the past has given us the things in both rebounding and on defense that has fueled our success. That time is passing quickly...and it's time to bring in players that can take up the slack.

angelbelow
06-07-2009, 12:39 AM
3 mill is max.

benefactor
06-07-2009, 08:47 AM
You have to pay him more than 3 million people. That is Bonner money...and he is a significant upgrade.

Bruno
06-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Both Darko and Varejao played 24 MPG in those seasons. Przybilla played 25. Gortat only played 12.6 MPG...so if you increased his minutes to the level that those other players played you see similar numbers.

Not automatically and that was my poiut.

I think you are missing my point here. It's more about certain things a team needs to win a championship. The man who has been protecting the paint for us for the last decade is getting old. This part of his game is a big reason we have the trophies we have. As you can see by the Lakers, teams that rebound are also championship contenders. We can no longer rely on Timmy to do all the work on the boards. If you stare down our front line you see Bonner, Thomas, Oberto and Mahinmi. Two players who completely suck at rebounding, one who is long in the tooth and another who is completely unproven.

Duncan in the past has given us the things in both rebounding and on defense that has fueled our success. That time is passing quickly...and it's time to bring in players that can take up the slack.

First, the whole rebounding issue is a false problem. Spurs were this year the best defensive rebounding team in the history of the NBA. They also were the worst offensive rebounding team of the NBA but a big part of that is by design. Spurs were focused on transition D more than getting offensive rebounds and they played with a PF stretching the floor on the offensive end.

Second, Duncan is aging but one of the biggest sign of this aging process is that he lost some mobility. Most of the NBA teams played with a paint big and a perimeter big who is quite mobile. If you want to have Gortat holding the fort, you had to put him on the paint big which means Duncan will be matched against quick perimeter oriented bigmen. I'm quite skeptical about the success of this plan.

benefactor
06-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Not automatically and that was my poiut.

Perhaps not...but considering his role in Orlando and the system there and the minutes/role he would play here I think that those numbers would be easily attainable.

First, the whole rebounding issue is a false problem. Spurs were this year the best defensive rebounding team in the history of the NBA. They also were the worst offensive rebounding team of the NBA but a big part of that is by design. Spurs were focused on transition D more than getting offensive rebounds and they played with a PF stretching the floor on the offensive end.

I hear this argument a lot...and I think it's fools gold to a certain extent. Yes, we were top 5 in total defensive rebounds lead the league in defensive rebounding percentage. This is a testament to coaching, as all positions on the Spurs are expected to help on the boards. But if you look at total rebounds, we pulled down 3366...good enough to barely crack the top 20 and is 20 boards below the league average. We are also right near the bottom in blocked shots. There is also the playoff factor. Having rebounding on the front line becomes more critical in a 7 game series. If you look at the rebounding totals during the season in the losses we took to LA and Portland, it becomes unsettling to think that we could match up with either over 7 games.

Do I think the acquisition of Gortat will solve all of this? Of course not. But more boards and more blocks can only come with upgrades at C/PF/SF. This is just one new link in our very worn out chain.

Second, Duncan is aging but one of the biggest sign of this aging process is that he lost some mobility. Most of the NBA teams played with a paint big and a perimeter big who is quite mobile. If you want to have Gortat holding the fort, you had to put him on the paint big which means Duncan will be matched against quick perimeter oriented bigmen. I'm quite skeptical about the success of this plan.
I am not so sure about that. He has very good lateral quickness for a man his size. I think he would do fine against players like Gasol and Aldridge on the perimeter. He and Duncan could likely be interchangeable depending on the situation. Now if we start talking about the longer SF/PF tweener players then that is a different story. That will likely require a player in the Gist mold. Hopefully he can help some next season, because if he can't then there is a strong likelihood that those types of player are still going to give us a lot of problems.

As I said above, I don't see Gortat as the complete answer to all our defensive/rebounding/shot blocking issues...but I think he could be a very nice step in the right direction. We will just have to agree to disagree on what his worth is from a salary perspective. I tend to agree with HarlemHeat37...it is probably more about what will be required financially to obtain a player like him over what we think he is actually worth.

SenorSpur
06-07-2009, 03:56 PM

That is a regular season stat and, I'm sorry, that doesn't mean a lot come playoff time. Sometimes, you have to gauge by what you see. And I remember distinctly how the Spurs were badly outrebounded the past two seasons, in the playoffs, by the Fakers in'08, and more recently by the Mavs in '09. A big problem with the Spurs is they routinely give up too many offensive rebound opportunities against superior-level teams. This is further compounded by the fact that the Spurs, as a team, are very poor at blocking out - Finley is notorious for this.

Duncan has been the center of the Spurs rebounding universe for some time, and it's obvious he's lost some mobility. No disputing that. The problem is the Spurs have relied on him for so long, and yet there has not been much frontline support for him as his mobility has declined. In fact, he's not had a consistent running mate since D-Rob retired. While Manu and Bowen have shown capabilities in the rebounding area, it hasn't been enough. Give me another big who can maintain his defenisve positioning and has a penchant for both rebounding at a good clip and low-post defense, and that will shore up a helluva lot. Ian has promise, but is unproven. Gortat is "getting it done" in a reserve role, for a championship-caliber club. From what I've seen so far, I'd be willing to take my chances on him. Unless of course, they decide they want to go another round with Gooden.

Bruno
06-07-2009, 04:30 PM
That is a regular season stat and, I'm sorry, that doesn't mean a lot come playoff time. Sometimes, you have to gauge by what you see. And I remember distinctly how the Spurs were badly outrebounded the past two seasons, in the playoffs, by the Fakers in'08, and more recently by the Mavs in '09. A big problem with the Spurs is they routinely give up too many offensive rebound opportunities against superior-level teams. This is further compounded by the fact that the Spurs, as a team, are very poor at blocking out - Finley is notorious for this.

Sometimes, you have to gauge by numbers, because unlike what you see they are objective.

Against Lakers in 08': Lakers grab 41 offensive rebounds, Spurs grab 158 defensive rebounds. That is to say a 20.6% defensive rebounding percentage.
Against Mavs in 09': Mavs grab 44 offensive rebounds, Spurs grab 144 defensive rebounds. That is to say a 23.4% defensive rebounding percentage.

Spurs did a great job at limiting offensive rebounds in these series.

From what I've seen so far, I'd be willing to take my chances on him. Unless of course, they decide they want to go another round with Gooden.

I guess almost everybody is willing to take his chance on him but it's a matter of how much should Spurs spend on him.
I don't think Spurs should throw a lot of money to try to get him. If Gortat market value is above $12M/3 years, I rather see Spurs trying to get someone else.

Bruno
06-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I hear this argument a lot...and I think it's fools gold to a certain extent. Yes, we were top 5 in total defensive rebounds lead the league in defensive rebounding percentage. This is a testament to coaching, as all positions on the Spurs are expected to help on the boards. But if you look at total rebounds, we pulled down 3366...good enough to barely crack the top 20 and is 20 boards below the league average.

I find that looking at combined (offensive+ defensive) rebounding numbers is quite uninteresting. These are two distinct parts of the game with no true link between them.

benefactor
06-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Sometimes, you have to gauge by numbers, because unlike what you see they are objective.

Against Lakers in 08': Lakers grab 41 offensive rebounds, Spurs grab 158 defensive rebounds. That is to say a 20.6% defensive rebounding
percentage.

Against Mavs in 09': Mavs grab 44 offensive rebounds, Spurs grab 144 defensive rebounds. That is to say a 23.4% defensive rebounding percentage.

Spurs did a great job at limiting offensive rebounds in these series.

Here's is some objective numbers for you...in three out of the four losses in the Lakers series the Spurs were out rebounded 132-112. They were outdone on the defensive boards 105-89.

Same song and dance in the Mavericks series. In the final three losses they out rebounded the Spurs 140-109. Defensive boards? 111-86.

31 fucking rebounds...that just pisses me off looking at it. I've have tons of respect for you Bruno, but there isn't a percentage in the world you can throw out there to make that look good.

I guess almost everybody is willing to take his chance on him but it's a matter of how much should Spurs spend on him.
I don't think Spurs should throw a lot of money to try to get him. If Gortat market value is above $12M/3 years, I rather see Spurs trying to get someone else.
Therein lies the problem...there isn't much else out there. The Spurs can sit around for as long as they want trying to wait for a decent big to come around so they can convince him to play for 4 million a year but in today's NBA that is not realistic. The window is closing. Pay the players that will help now or just let it close.

Mel_13
06-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Therein lies the problem...there isn't much else out there. The Spurs can sit around for as long as they want trying to wait for a decent big to come around so they can convince him to play for 4 million a year but in today's NBA that is not realistic. The window is closing. Pay the players that will help now or just let it close.

First off, I agree with the assessment that Gortat is the best available FA big that the Spurs have a fighting chance to sign and I would support taking the risks associated with offering him a full MLE deal. Of course, my money and my job are not on the line.

But we also must understand that deals for all or most of the MLE are longshot bets that fail much more often than they succeed. The Spurs operate with a very small margin of error. If they use the full MLE on a bust, the damage will be serious and long lasting.

I think, however, that the Spurs have reached the point where risky gambles are unavoidable if they hope to make at least one more championship run before TD retires.

Bruno
06-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Here's is some objective numbers for you...in three out of the four losses in the Lakers series the Spurs were out rebounded 132-112. They were outdone on the defensive boards 105-89.

Same song and dance in the Mavericks series. In the final three losses they out rebounded the Spurs 140-109. Defensive boards? 111-86.

31 fucking rebounds...that just pisses me off looking at it. I've have tons of respect for you Bruno, but there isn't a percentage in the world you can throw out there to make that look good.

If you wan to draw some legit conclusions from stats, you had to be a little rigorous when you look at them. Otherwise, stats can say everything and its contrary.
I'm sorry to say it but you aren't enough rigorous here.

Spurs are limited with the luxury tax. The more money you spend on a player, the less money you have for other players.
I find that paying Gortat more than $5M per year isn't a good deal and would more hurt than help.

yavozerb
06-07-2009, 07:29 PM
If you wan to draw some legit conclusions from stats, you had to be a little rigorous when you look at them. Otherwise, stats can say everything and its contrary.

Spurs are limited with the luxury tax. The more money you spend on a player, the less money you have for other players.
I find that paying Gortat more than $5M per year isn't a good deal and would more hurt than help.

At this point we need to be realistic. The spurs are not going to spend big bucks (more than 5 mil) on a guy after a couple of good playoff games. Both Bruno and benefactor make some very interesting points but in the end its all about the team salary.

benefactor
06-07-2009, 10:08 PM

You know what I get from this? I get "stats only matter when I cite them and they support my argument." You cling to your defensive rebounding percentage stat like its some kind of holy grail...but the reality is that Dallas pulled down 10 more boards per game in those losses. Playoff losses that led to elimination.

Whatever. You are going to believe what you want...so I am done here.

benefactor
06-07-2009, 10:15 PM
First off, I agree with the assessment that Gortat is the best available FA big that the Spurs have a fighting chance to sign and I would support taking the risks associated with offering him a full MLE deal. Of course, my money and my job are not on the line.

But we also must understand that deals for all or most of the MLE are longshot bets that fail much more often than they succeed. The Spurs operate with a very small margin of error. If they use the full MLE on a bust, the damage will be serious and long lasting.

I think, however, that the Spurs have reached the point where risky gambles are unavoidable if they hope to make at least one more championship run before TD retires.
This is pretty much where I am. After Duncan retires there is a good chance that we will be a middle of the pack team for an extended period of time. Gortat may or may not work out...but with the way the other contenders are structured we have to start gambling on pieces that we need to remain in the hunt.

yavozerb
06-07-2009, 10:25 PM
This is pretty much where I am. After Duncan retires there is a good chance that we will be a middle of the pack team for an extended period of time. Gortat may or may not work out...but with the way the other contenders are structured we have to start gambling on pieces that we need to remain in the hunt.

I would rather not gamble 6+ mil on a player who simply has played well (not great) during a playoff run. I feel a Jerome James kind of contract coming from somebody with the same result. Just my opinion.

objective
06-07-2009, 10:32 PM
they actually played him with Howard tonight and it didn't go to well. Him passing up open jumpers and/or missing what he did take badly wouldn't bode well for playing next to Duncan.

benefactor
06-07-2009, 10:59 PM
they actually played him with Howard tonight and it didn't go to well. Him passing up open jumpers and/or missing what he did take badly wouldn't bode well for playing next to Duncan.
I figured someone would take this one game and try to make an argument against us getting him.

When you don't do something routinely, then try to make it work in the finals it is probably not going to work out all that well. Yes, he had a pretty bad game overall...but it's hard to know what to do when you are thrown into an situation that you are unfamiliar with.

Actually, it would probably be different with Duncan because Gortat would spend more time around the rim and Duncan would be on the outside more. The Spurs are already moving to this strategy more as they want to extend Duncan's usefulness by having him take less of a pounding on the block.

objective
06-07-2009, 11:04 PM
yes, how dare someone observe how he played, the outrage!

timvp
06-07-2009, 11:23 PM
I have to agree with Bruno here. Gortat is a good player but he just doesn't fit. Anything Gortat gives you on the boards and on defense will be negated by the fact that he has no offensive game. Gortat survives on the Magic because they literally don't use an interior player when he's in the game more than 90% of the time. But in San Antonio, where each member of the Big 3 is best in the paint, having Gortat as one of the other two players on the court will just cause way too much congestion.

All teams would do is leave Gortat open and pack the lane and the Spurs' offense would stall. The bigman next to Duncan has to have some level of skill to survive. If Gortat had a post game, a jumper, passing ability or anything of note, I'd consider enter the bidding war. But he has no offensive game at all. If you stop him from dunking or laying it up, he's toast.

Defensively, yeah he'd be a very nice addition. Rebounding-wise, he'd make the Spurs an even better rebounding team. But his utter lack of any offensive game would cancel all of that out. You can say Duncan will play the high post but that's not even the biggest issue. The biggest issue is that the opponent's would use Gortat's man to clog up lanes for the Big 3. Teams wouldn't have to respect Duncan's drives, they could much easier shut down the lane on Parker and they could send extra help at Ginobili.

I know it's difficult to turn down a good bigman when the Spurs are currently starting Bonner but Gortat isn't the answer for what he's going to make this summer.

Bruno
06-08-2009, 04:02 AM
You know what I get from this? I get "stats only matter when I cite them and they support my argument."

Looking at total rebounding numbers is a bad thing for two reasons :
First, if your team miss 50 shots and the other one 40, it's logical to be outrebounded.
Second, it doesn't make the difference between offensive and defensive rebounding. And these are two different things.

In the Lakers and Mavs series, Spurs did a great job at limiting opponents offensive rebounds. They also did a very poor job at crashing the offensive boards. There isn't a lot of argue about that because it's simply a fact.

Mel_13
06-08-2009, 07:21 AM
ORLANDO'S GORTAT ON KNICKS RADAR

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06082009/sports/knicks/orlandos_gortat_on_knicks_radar_173166.htm

mountainballer
06-08-2009, 07:45 AM
I have to agree with Bruno here. Gortat is a good player but he just doesn't fit. Anything Gortat gives you on the boards and on defense will be negated by the fact that he has no offensive game. Gortat survives on the Magic because they literally don't use an interior player when he's in the game more than 90% of the time. But in San Antonio, where each member of the Big 3 is best in the paint, having Gortat as one of the other two players on the court will just cause way too much congestion.

All teams would do is leave Gortat open and pack the lane and the Spurs' offense would stall. The bigman next to Duncan has to have some level of skill to survive. If Gortat had a post game, a jumper, passing ability or anything of note, I'd consider enter the bidding war. But he has no offensive game at all. If you stop him from dunking or laying it up, he's toast.

Defensively, yeah he'd be a very nice addition. Rebounding-wise, he'd make the Spurs an even better rebounding team. But his utter lack of any offensive game would cancel all of that out. You can say Duncan will play the high post but that's not even the biggest issue. The biggest issue is that the opponent's would use Gortat's man to clog up lanes for the Big 3. Teams wouldn't have to respect Duncan's drives, they could much easier shut down the lane on Parker and they could send extra help at Ginobili.

I know it's difficult to turn down a good bigman when the Spurs are currently starting Bonner but Gortat isn't the answer for what he's going to make this summer.

I would agree if the Spurs didn't need 2 or 3 new bigs for their roster. the major need is for sure to find a legit #2 in the big rotation and Gortat isn't the answer for this, but I still can see him find a niche in the Spurs front court. he is a fantastic offensive rebounder, so even if he doesn't deliver much on offense, the few points are usually points the Spurs currently can't get by their players. 4th man in the frontcourt rotation, playing 15-20 minutes, isn't a bad idea IMO.
the point is, this makes only sense, if he signs for small money and even if he did sign for something like BAE, it wouldn't help, because that kind of offer the Magic would match anyhow.

yavozerb
06-08-2009, 08:18 AM
ORLANDO'S GORTAT ON KNICKS RADAR

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06082009/sports/knicks/orlandos_gortat_on_knicks_radar_173166.htm

Once again, can somebody say Jerome James II.

Mel_13
06-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Once again, can somebody say Jerome James II.

Come on. Gortat may well prove to be overpaid if he receives the full MLE, but there is almost no chance he becomes a paycheck thief like Jerome James. That guy has played in only 89 games over the last four years, including only 15 minutes in the last two seasons combined. Gortat is in shape and 5 years younger than JJ was when he signed with Knicks.

SenorSpur
06-08-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't think Spurs should throw a lot of money to try to get him.
Agreed.

Despite all the reasons some have given why the Spurs should not to look at this kid at a possible FA acquisition, I believe his rebounding prowess is a huge reason why they should. Furthermore, based on what I've seen of him in the playoffs, he has a better offensive game that he's shown in the NBA Finals.

benefactor
06-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Looking at total rebounding numbers is a bad thing for two reasons :
First, if your team miss 50 shots and the other one 40, it's logical to be outrebounded.
Second, it doesn't make the difference between offensive and defensive rebounding. And these are two different things.

In the Lakers and Mavs series, Spurs did a great job at limiting opponents offensive rebounds. They also did a very poor job at crashing the offensive boards. There isn't a lot of argue about that because it's simply a fact.
I actually figured you would go the "missed shots" direction. That's one of the reasons I cited the Mavericks out rebounding us so badly. The funny thing is it actually solidifies my argument that we need to move away from the shooting center and more towards someone who may not be quite as versatile offensively but can shore up the defense...which, as I said previously, is the reason our trophies are in the case today. And again, you can plug in a percentage if you want to for that whole Dallas series and make the statement that we did a good job limiting the offensive boards...but we gave up 24 offensive boards in the final two games. Any way you slice it that is just plain bad.

I look at it like this. We decided to sacrifice defense for more scoring this season. Many of us predicted it would be a serious crap shoot, and of course it failed miserably. Matt Bonner and Michael Finley combined to shoot 8-30 in the last three games...and not only did they shoot poorly but they didn't rebound or defend(Bonner had a few decent sequences versus Dirk, but that is pretty much canceled out with all the bad). So we chose to go a certain direction but lack the personnel to execute it. It was suicide from the beginning.

Now the circumstances have changed. We have been able to get away with having a pedestrian defender at the C spot over the years because of Duncan...but this is no longer the case, especially with the front lines that the playoff contenders now employ. A good defender/rebounder/shot blocker is becoming a priority now more than ever with our short championship window...even if that person is a bit limited offensively(As SenorSpur pointed out, Gortat is actually not as bad offensively some suggest). If we are going to get scoring, it has to come from upgrades at the SG/SF position, or possibly a SF/PF type player.

I say all that to say this...there are multiple issues on this team to get it back to a championship level. Gortat is not the end all but would be a nice piece and a necessary addition that fills a glaring need.

loveforthegame
06-08-2009, 01:06 PM
The Spurs will probably hope that 3 guys will split the MLE so this guy is out.

SenorSpur
06-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Spurs likely wont get a crack at this guy

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59668/20090608/knicks_will_pursue_gortat/

Knicks Will Pursue Gortat

With their midlevel exception, the Knicks will search for a defensive center and Orlando's Marcin Gortat is high on their list.

Gortat was drafted by the Suns in 2005 when Mike D'Antoni was their head coach. His draft rights were subsequently traded.

Gortat told the New York Post he would welcome a move to New York.

"I love New York, I can tell you that," Gortat said. "It was the first city I landed when I landed in the states five years ago. I love Coach D'Antoni and I know [Danilo] Gallinari from Europe."

Otis Smith can match any offer, but said he knows it will be a financial challenge to retain Gortat.

"He's got the best job in America, playing behind my best player, playing 8 to 10 minutes," Smith said. "He goes out and does his job and probably has the best work ethic of anyone in the locker room. Can he start for another team? Yeah he can.

"I'll just deal with it and the market will dictate where he goes," Smith added.

benefactor
06-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah...probably not. If the MLE with max raises is as high as Bruno says it is I don't know that I would want to play quite that much anyway. Who knows...perhaps he will be drawn to our international flavor for a discount.

DPG21920
06-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Everyone always thinks players will play for the Spurs for cheaper. Not happening with any kind of regularity.

The way things are shaping up, I would rather just stand pat unless you can get an absolute steal of a trade or FA, and see how things shake out with the big 3 up until the trade deadline.

I am not interested in the team getting marginally better and adding salary. Make a few small moves, add some youth and cap friendly players, develop them and go for 2010.

Blackjack
06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
(FWIW) Alan Hahn of Newsday's blog:

* - As for the talk about Marcin Gortat....seriously, I can not see them giving up the valuable mid-level exception for Marcin Gortat. Sure, there is interest and the Knicks like what he can do, just like a lot of teams do. But some guys are what they are and Gortat, I believe, is a backup center and, therefore, exactly where he should be. That money can be better spent elsewhere.

Manufan909
06-09-2009, 02:16 AM
(FWIW) Alan Hahn of Newsday's blog:

* - As for the talk about Marcin Gortat....seriously, I can not see them giving up the valuable mid-level exception for Marcin Gortat. Sure, there is interest and the Knicks like what he can do, just like a lot of teams do. But some guys are what they are and Gortat, I believe, is a backup center and, therefore, exactly where he should be. That money can be better spent elsewhere.

He is competing for minutes with Dwight Howard. On the Spurs he'll be competing with KT, Ian, and Bonner. Just cuz he's a backup on one team doesn't mean he shouldn't start anywhere.

urunobili
06-11-2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.nba.com/2009/playoffs2009/06/11/finals.notebook.ap/index.html

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Magic backup center Marcin Gortat has been getting a little extra attention in the NBA Finals.

About a dozen journalists from his native Poland have been covering his every move during the series. His blocks on Cleveland's LeBron James in the Eastern Conference finals elevated his celebrity status, and getting playing time against the Lakers hasn't hurt.

Gortat said TV stations back home have been fighting to broadcast his playoff games. His surprising play in the playoffs has led to so many phone calls that he feels "like the Dwight Howard of Poland."

"I'm scared to go home," Gortat said. "If I get any more popular, I'll run for President."

Gortat has been playing solid minutes in the playoffs. He filled in for the suspended Howard in the Game 6 clincher against Philadelphia in the opening round and has seen more minutes in the finals to try to combat the Lakers' size inside.

Gortat will be a restricted free agent this summer and is likely due a hefty pay raise that the Magic might not be able to afford.

benefactor
06-11-2009, 02:10 PM
A full MLE deal from the Knicks is probably imminent.

yavozerb
06-11-2009, 02:43 PM
A full MLE deal from the Knicks is probably imminent.

Yes it is...time to bury any thougts of acquiring this guy

timvp
06-11-2009, 02:53 PM
The Gortat to the Knicks rumors make no sense to me. D'Antoni values players who can dribble, pass and shoot. Gortat can't do any of that. D'Antoni even finds it difficult to use David Lee correctly and Lee is much better at those three skills than Gortat.

No way Gortat ends up on the Knicks if D'Antoni has a say.

benefactor
06-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Yes it is...time to bury any thougts of acquiring this guy
Nah...I'm still thinking about it. :)

Mel_13
06-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Marcin Gortat Drives Fastest Car in NBA
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/06/10/marcin-gortat-drives-fastest-car-in-nba/

I don't know why I kept having this random thought after reading this article:

Gortat:Black BMW M5::________:White Pontiac Grand Prix

benefactor
06-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Sick ride. I have always wanted to take a regular car and make it into a wolf in sheep's clothing...kinda like these guys do.

http://www.monstermiata.com/Monster_Miata_Specs.asp

For less than 25k you can have a car that will embarrass your buddy in his Corvette.

Mel_13
06-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Magic Will Pay Luxury Tax to Re-Sign Hedo Turkoglu
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/06/12/magic-will-pay-luxury-tax-to-re-sign-hedo-turkoglu/

Gortat related:

The only other significant Magic player who becomes a free agent this summer is backup center Marcin Gortat. He is considered expendable, and as a restricted free agent, may receive offers around the league the Magic aren't willing to match.

benefactor
06-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Not a surprise. It actually might only take around 4 million a year to get Gortat, but in all likelihood there will be some team that is hurting for a big that will pay him more.

mountainballer
06-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Chad Ford mentions the Spurs as possible team that bids for Gortat.

Though the 25-year-old Gortat's inability to shoot from outside will limit his market value, two factors work in his favor: his work ethic and his recent development. And that might just be enough to garner an offer that Orlando will be unwilling to match, perhaps from a contender like San Antonio.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=Hedofreeagency-090613

Spurtacus
06-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Make it happen. I've given up on Mahinmi.

EricB
06-16-2009, 02:30 AM

Yeah he's toast at the age of 22. :lol :rolleyes

Not the full MLE, and only if McDeyss won't sign.

gaspar
06-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I think that Gortat is worthe the full MLE. He can play really good as a starter. He is a great blocker, rebounder and dunker (he can dunk from the FT line!). He is also extremely fast. Watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzu0A5FKuI (especially 4:25-7:35)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OID9NAN5AFs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ceXNxNzW9k

And he is the best 3-point shooter in the NBA (100%) http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG72Ll1cLTw

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-19-2009, 11:21 PM

Short attention span much? Kid is 22, has been injured and misdiagnosed by doctors. He's going to be a pleasant surprise when he hits the floor.

Oh, and Marcin Gortat is NOT the difference between the Spurs flaming out and winning a ring. Someone will overpay him the full MLE, and we don't want any part of that.

Big P
06-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Short attention span much? Kid is 22, has been injured and misdiagnosed by doctors. He's going to be a pleasant surprise when he hits the floor.

Oh, and Marcin Gortat is NOT the difference between the Spurs flaming out and winning a ring. Someone will overpay him the full MLE, and we don't want any part of that.

This

bigdog
06-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Sure, he didn't do much in the Finals, but I'd still sign him for a good portion, if not most of the MLE. I think the full MLE might be a bit too much, though.

Libri
06-20-2009, 03:12 AM
The Magic also risk losing promising center Marcin Gortat, a restricted free agent who backed up Dwight Howard. Gortat made just $770,000 last season and is expected to attract interest. If he should be offered a mid-level offer sheet — starting at about $5.5 million — the Magic would not match.http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-sportsmagic-16061609jun16,0,4935942.story

HarlemHeat37
06-20-2009, 03:15 PM
There isn't ANYBODY we're going to acquire that will put us over the top for a title..we need multiple moves..so whoever we sign with the MLE, we're going to need a few athletic players to help out as well..

if we sign Gortat, we'll have to roll the dice on Hairston/Gist or a draft pick to help out on the wing..if we sign a wing for the MLE, we'll have to roll the dice on Ian/Gist or a draft pick to help out..

Bruno
06-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Gortat za drogi dla San Antonio?

http://sport.wp.pl/kat,1809,title,Gortat-za-drogi-dla-San-Antonio,wid,11252607,wiadomosc.html

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Translation? I can't figure out what language that is.

HarlemHeat37
06-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Scoring is no longer an issue, so Gortat's lack of ability in that regard matters even less..the guy can play 1 on 1 defense in the post, as he showed when he played against both Bynum and Gasol in the Finals..

The risk with Gortat is that there's a legit chance that some team will overpay him..we'll see..

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Figured out it's Polish.
From what incredibly crappy Polish translators I found, I think it says they're ready to offer him a contract (can't tell what the numbers are), and they're also looking at Rasheed, Zaza, Splitter, and Gooden.
Again, I'm not fully sure what it says. Someone call przem.

Bruno
06-24-2009, 12:55 PM

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsport.wp.pl%2Fkat%2C1809%2Ctitle%2C Gortat-za-drogi-dla-San-Antonio%2Cwid%2C11252607%2Cwiadomosc.html&sl=pl&tl=en&history_state0=

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks.

Blackjack
06-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Well, he's in the orbit of interest "castle.":lol

Obstructed_View
06-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Acquired by the Spurs on Tuesday, Richard Jefferson, small-foward, very good gunner, which gives the team from San Antonio assistance in athletic players, which was lacking in this year Spurs play-offs. However, in the trade, the Spurs surrendered a two good front line players: Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas (the third was a 38-year small-forward, Bruce Bowen)

However, even if they were still in storage "dungeon", experts estimated that this team still needs strengthening. There for more than a decade, Tim Duncan, to be - next to Karl Malone - as the best forward in the history of a strong NBA. Duncan, however, is aging and did not receive adequate support last season, he also had both knee injuries, which slowed down his game at the end of the season.

After yesterday's trade the four time NBA champion (1999,2003,2005,2007) will be composed of only seven, or nine players - as long as the two days will decide to use options in the contracts of Michael Finley'a (shooting guard) and young French Center Ian Mahinmi.

Mahinmi spent the entire previous season treating injuries, a year earlier played in only 6 games. So hard to assume that the Spurs have found in him a real help for Duncan. As for other players - in addition to Duncan - Matt Bonner can start at center, but rather it is "four" in the European type, who spends much time on the perimeter. Bonner is a shooter and not an inside player, the type of player that Spurs need to finally return to the elite.

After this trade the Spurs certainly will exceed the level of tax "luxury-tax", they do not have a pick in the first round of Thursday's draft and will be able to spend only about 8 million dollars for the signing of free agents. They have the use of exception "mid-level" (approximately 5.5 million. Dol.) Exception (about 1.6 million. Dol.) And an exception for veterans. The Spurs cannot spend the last two on a player like Martin Gortat.

Gortat actually can count on an offer from San Antonio, which is now speculate for a few weeks, but will this will be the most money he can get on the market? Probably not. Spurs have nine players on the basketball team, will be required to sign at least four more, and spending 4-5 million dollars a year just on our player can bury their chances of building a team with a large rotation.

A large rotation may be very needed in the long season, especially taking into account Duncan's age and his ankles, as well as the injuries to Manu Ginobili. It is likely that the team can get back Bowen and 33-year-old Oberto (exceptions for veterans), but Gortat can forget receiving an offer for the entire MLE. The more so that "spurs" do not typically squander the whole of this sum for one player.

The other centers of interest for the Spurs are, among others, Rasheed Wallace, Drew Gooden, Zaza Pachulia and Tiago Splitter, whom the Spurs drafted and own the rights to.

Maybe Spurs would make a contractual offer for Gortata, but after yesterday's trade , it appears that he will not be able to count on more than 3.5 million. dollars a year. Will it be enough? More becomes known after July 1.

benefactor
06-24-2009, 01:13 PM
With RC's comments about not worrying about going into tax territory, Gortat may be obtainable after all. This move would put us equal/above the Lakers.

Obstructed_View
06-24-2009, 01:15 PM
With RC's comments about not worrying about going into tax territory, Gortat may be obtainable after all. This move would put us equal/above the Lakers.

I find it odd how many people are building up Gortat. I'm not sure how he's better than Gooden, but he's younger and hopefully has more upside.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I find it odd how many people are building up Gortat. I'm not sure how he's better than Gooden, but he's younger and hopefully has more upside.

I agree.

benefactor
06-24-2009, 01:26 PM
I think he does. He has made huge strides already. Beyond being a good pick and roll player and being a good finisher around the rim he doesn't have a lot of offensive skill, but that matters little now that we have Jefferson. There were some valid concerns before RJ was acquired, but now he is the perfect player for us. He rebounds, blocks shots, is a better than average post defender and is very mobile to the point where he is quick enough laterally to get in front of guards to take charges. His deep playoff run with Orlando this year will also benefit him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Gortat blocks shots, rebounds, and plays the pick and roll very well. About all you could ask for.

EricB
06-24-2009, 01:43 PM

If he plays defense and his basketball IQ is higher than .5 he's an upgrade over Gooden.

HarlemHeat37
06-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Gortat simply fits better for us..he plays very good 1 on 1 defense, and he blocks shots, so he's the whole defensive package we need down low..he played great defense against both Gasol and Bynum in the Finals..

we don't need another scorer down low, we need a guy that can play defense at this point..

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 12:47 AM
If he plays defense and his basketball IQ is higher than .5 he's an upgrade over Gooden.

Neither of which you know based on his history. Gooden's going to score and rebound, and has started on a team that made the finals. Your assessment* of Gooden's performance defensively was based upon stepping right into the Spurs with no knowledge of the defense, something many bigs have been completely unable to do. You're welcome to make these statements, but you need to acknowledge that there's nothing behind it but blind hope.

*By "assessment", I of course mean your copying timvp's opinion without applying any thought whatsoever.

EricB
06-25-2009, 01:12 AM
Neither of which you know based on his history. Gooden's going to score and rebound, and has started on a team that made the finals. Your assessment* of Gooden's performance defensively was based upon stepping right into the Spurs with no knowledge of the defense, something many bigs have been completely unable to do. You're welcome to make these statements, but you need to acknowledge that there's nothing behind it but blind hope.

*By "assessment", I of course mean your copying timvp's opinion without applying any thought whatsoever.

Nice little personal shot there but no, my assesment of him is from his years with Memphis, Orlando, Cleveland.

Cleveland made the Finals despite him.

Gooden is the big man version of Ricky Davis.

Blackjack
06-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Gortat simply fits better for us..he plays very good 1 on 1 defense, and he blocks shots, so he's the whole defensive package we need down low..he played great defense against both Gasol and Bynum in the Finals..

we don't need another scorer down low, we need a guy that can play defense at this point..

I agree that having another scorer down low isn't a necessity and that Gortat's defense was pretty damn impressive against Bynum and Gasol, but I don't see him being that great of a fit. (At least for the MLE)

I'm not saying he's not worth the MLE, just that it wouldn't be all that ideal for the Spurs.

Look how Gortat excelled with the Magic. He didn't do it by playing alongside another big but playing in the middle of an arsenal of 3-point shooters.

He worked with the Magic, and would work with the Spurs, when the middle is left open for him to roll or flash to the basket. Paying him the MLE to do what he did with the Magic wouldn't be all that wise.

3 of the top 4 players on the Spurs now are, at heart, slashers. Combine that with a dominant big who needs room to operate and is becoming an easier target defensively with his lack of explosiveness, and there's simply not the type of room on the floor conducive for the starting group to maximize their half-court potential.

Gortat's a solid player that I wouldn't mind having, but for the MLE he needs to have some kind of face-up game.

EmantheSpursFan
06-25-2009, 02:25 AM

its polish and its translates to

Gortat a way for San Antonio
?

take what you want from it

kenson-q
06-25-2009, 04:04 AM
He will be the guy,trust me!

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 04:28 AM
Nice little personal shot there
No, it's just the truth. If you can't have a discussion without getting sand in your vagina then don't bother to copy the points other people make and let them draw the fire.

no, my assesment of him is from his years with Memphis, Orlando, Cleveland.
Okay, then let's hear about why he's incapable of playing defense as well as the corpse of Rasho, Matt Bonner or a big Polish guy we've seen play for about three games. You're obviously ignoring his stats in favor of some vague impression you've divined. A source of this revelation would be fun for all of us.

Cleveland made the Finals despite him.
Evidence of that, please. Since you state it like it's a fact then it should be really easy to back up.

Gooden is the big man version of Ricky Davis.
Again, I'm waiting for evidence that Gooden's ever been a locker-room cancer, has put his own stats above team success, has been the sole reason a team went from being decent to being terrible, whines about his contract or calls a timeout so he can get a triple double. The worst thing I can say about him during his time as a Spur is that he tried too hard to score, which isn't really a sin given this coach and the offensive talent they rolled out alongside him.

If nothing else, I'd be satisfied if you could list the 12 point, 8 rebound, 1 block per game bigs the Spurs have available to sign that have playoff experience and have stated publicly that they want to be in San Antonio long-term.

Mal
06-25-2009, 04:31 AM

http://sport.wp.pl/kat,1809,title,Gortat-za-drogi-dla-San-Antonio,wid,11252607,wiadomosc.html

I wouldn`t trust wp.pl. They mostly tell bullshits. Article isn`t about something new. It is only about possibility. They did not write about Orlando matching Spurs offer, which is highly possible if Spurs offer him 3mln $.

Most polish newspapers writes that Spurs fit best for Gortat.

Gortat says that he is happy in Orlando. He wants to play more, but he wouldn`t mind staying in Orlando.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Is is true that he said he would like to start on a team this upcoming season, or was that just rumors?..I heard that he said something like that a few months ago, so it's interesting..I haven't researched it, but Magic fans were talking about it for a little while..

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 01:40 PM
For the first time in a long while, the Spurs have something to offer a a free agent without overpaying for him. Throwing some money at Dwight Howard's backup along with a chance to start might actually work.

velik_m
06-25-2009, 01:45 PM
For the first time in a long while, the Spurs have something to offer a a free agent without overpaying for him. Throwing some money at Dwight Howard's backup along with a chance to start might actually work.

He's restricted, so Orlando can just match.

45 bank shot
06-25-2009, 01:49 PM

Ye but i heard that they weren't really willing to keep him

CGD
06-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Hedo really holds all the cards here, especially since Orlando (boneheadedly IMO) already conceded they are willing to go into the lux tax to keep him.

For our sake, I hope the Pistons throw a lot of money at Hedo, forcing the Magic hand. At that point Gortat might even be a bargain...

bigdog
06-25-2009, 02:29 PM
If the Magic re-sign Hedo, there is very little chance they could keep Gortat.

benefactor
06-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Now that the Magic have VC, Gortat will probably be re-signed.

robert1886
06-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Now that the Magic have VC, Gortat will probably be re-signed.
they said magic are still going to try and sign hedo so i dont know how that helps resigning gortat

tomtom
06-25-2009, 05:53 PM
well they just lost battie so they just lost a piece of their even thinner front court

benefactor
06-25-2009, 05:57 PM
they said magic are still going to try and sign hedo so i dont know how that helps resigning gortat
It's pointless to re-sign Hedo if they have VC. Gortat fills a much bigger need for them at this point as they have traded away Battie.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 06:45 PM

Actually I knew that, but I thought he could choose between offers if they chose not to match, forgetting that the QO is like a contract.

robert1886
06-25-2009, 06:45 PM
It's pointless to re-sign Hedo if they have VC. Gortat fills a much bigger need for them at this point as they have traded away Battie.
yea makes sense now that i think about it...but they will need some perimeter players to come off the bench now cuz petrius or however you spell it will prob be in the starting lineup now that lee is gone