PDA

View Full Version : Jim Paxson won't be retained after the season?

ducks
03-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Hamilton to have idle time

He sits out Tuesday because of a sprained left ankle, and date of his return is uncertain.

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Hamilton

Pistons at 76ers

Tip-off: 8 tonight, Wachovia Center, Philadelphia

TV / radio: FSN Detroit / WDFN 1130

Outlook: The 76ers are holding on to the eighth and final playoff spot in the East by a half-game over the Magic. Chris Webber, who missed a game because of a compressed nerve in his left leg, is expected to be back in the lineup. The Pistons have won the three previous games and are looking to sweep the season series for the first time since 1995-96.

CLEVELAND -- It seemed like surprising news, but Chauncey Billups quickly dismissed it.

When told that Richard Hamilton suffered the first sprained ankle of his six-year NBA career on Sunday -- extremely rare for a player as active and mobile as Hamilton -- Billups just laughed.

"He ain't got no ankles," said Billups, who has been bothered by sprained ankles his entire career. "He's got no weight to come down on. He's only about 110 pounds up top; ain't nothing hurt."

Wow, where's the compassion, right?

Hamilton did indeed suffer a sprained left ankle and did not play against the Cavaliers on Tuesday night -- the sixth game he has missed since he became a Piston three years ago. He spent much of the day taking treatment with physical therapist Arnie Kander, and his status for tonight's game in Philadelphia remains questionable.

It turns out that Billups might have missed his backcourt mate more than he could have imagined.

"That was one of the worst games I've played since I've been a Piston," said Billups, who had six points and a season-high eight turnovers in a 91-76 loss to the Cavaliers. "I think I waited too long to get myself going. I was trying to get Carlos (Delfino) going and everybody else, and I never got going."

Delfino, a rookie, made his first NBA start and had four points and no assists in 22 minutes. The Pistons' three shooting guards (Delfino, Lindsey Hunter and Carlos Arroyo) teamed for eight points, 11 under Hamilton's average.

"Carlos did all right," Billups said. "I just have to make a little adjustment. I have to be more aggressive early, instead of trying to get everybody else going."

Before the game, Delfino had mixed emotions about his start.

"I am happy about my starting," he said, "but it's not good because there is an injury to my teammate. For me, though, it's great. The coach is showing confidence in me, and I hope that I can give back the same confidence in the game."

The Pistons' offensive breakdown Tuesday was a collective effort.

"We never moved the ball, never made the defense move from side to side," Billups said. "They locked in, and I thought we played right into their hands."

The Pistons scored 29 points and shot 30 percent in the second half.

New sheriff

For now, interim coach Brendan Malone of the Cavs has All-Stars LeBron James and Zydrunas Ilgauskas in his corner.

"LeBron and Z both came up to me and said, 'We're with you,' " Malone said. "And I've talked to most of the players so far and I am getting good vibes."

Malone replaced Paul Silas, who was fired Monday.

"Any time a head coach is fired, we're all responsible for that," Malone said. "I'll take the blame as much as anybody else."

There was much speculation on James' role in Silas' firing. James cleared the air on that before the game.

"It's not in my character to do something like that (get a coach fired)," James said. "You don't ever want someone to lose their job, in no way. Life is bigger than basketball, and people have families to take care of."

When asked if he was for or against the firing, he said, "I am not for or against anything. I'm just living with it."

Most of the players understood the move but felt bad about it.

"It's unfortunate," said captain Eric Snow (Michigan State). "Coach worked hard for us and we worked hard for him.

"I hate to see a coach lose his job while I'm playing for him, especially an African-American coach. It's hard enough for them to get a job (let alone) keep them. I'm saddened by that but at the same time, the games keep coming, so you have to be a professional and do your job."

Briefly

There has been a lot of media speculation that Cavs general manager Jim Paxson won't be retained after the season. John Hammond, the Pistons' vice president of basketball operations, has been mentioned among the possible replacements.

But Hammond said he has had no contact with new Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, and Pistons president Joe Dumars confirmed Tuesday that Hammond was not being considered.

... Coach Larry Brown missed his fifth straight game and won't attend the game in Philadelphia tonight. The Pistons hope he can return to the bench Friday against Indiana.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0503/23/G03-126306.htm