PDA

View Full Version : If you were in Terri Schiavo's condition ...

spurster
03-23-2005, 05:27 PM
... what would you want?

Extra Stout
03-23-2005, 05:34 PM
We can make our wishes known. The state of Texas allows advance medical directives and the assignment of medical proxies. It only takes a few minutes and a couple of witnesses to fill it out and get it signed.

Drachen
03-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Freeze me, bring me back in 100 years (assuming we havent blown ourselves up) and cure me. If there is no money to do that, pull the plug, tube or whatever needs to be pulled.

MannyIsGod
03-23-2005, 05:56 PM
All states allow for what basicaly amounts to a living will, but most people don't have one. If anything , this case will spur awareness on the situation.

Shelly
03-23-2005, 07:17 PM
nope

Spurminator
03-23-2005, 08:31 PM
If I'm conscious enough to "want" anything, then I'm probably conscious enough to watch TV (and see my loved ones)... in which case, yes, I'd like to live. But I'm not sure Schiavo is capable of any of that.

desflood
03-23-2005, 09:38 PM
All states allow for what basicaly amounts to a living will, but most people don't have one. If anything , this case will spur awareness on the situation.
One of my in-laws works for an insurance company. She says that one of the doctors they work with told her that since this case has really come into the light, there have been (literally) hundreds of people coming in to get documentation for this.

The Ressurrected One
03-23-2005, 09:41 PM
So, are we taking bets yet on when the first relative will ask to withhold feeding from their Alzheimer's-stricken mother who has forgotten how to feed themselves?

By the way, I voted no in the poll but, considering there is one person who voted yes, who's to say he or she isn't of a like mind with Terri Schiavo?

JoeChalupa
03-24-2005, 07:59 AM
If I could still recognize my family then yes, I would want to stay alive.
If not then pull the plug.

samikeyp
03-24-2005, 09:07 AM
no

MannyIsGod
03-24-2005, 10:31 AM
By the way, I voted no in the poll but, considering there is one person who voted yes, who's to say he or she isn't of a like mind with Terri Schiavo?

The Courts of Florida who ruled in favor of Terri wanting to die after weighing all of the evidence.

ChumpDumper
03-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Provide some other way of offing me.

Extra Stout
03-24-2005, 01:46 PM
The Courts of Florida who ruled in favor of Terri wanting to die after weighing all of the evidence.Florida law allows the courts to rule in favor of death based upon relatively sparse evidence.

Since we don't allow ex post facto laws in this country, it can't affect the Schiavo case, but I think it would be a good idea to raise the burden of proof required to determine that a patient would choose not to live.

MannyIsGod
03-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Actually, the burden of proof is above that of what it is for civil cases. It is lower than a reasonable doubt however.

That's not flimsy, but that's just my opinion.

Duff McCartney
03-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Negative.