PDA

View Full Version : Battle Blog -- Don't Offer Devin Brown a Contract

timvp
03-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Andy Soucier: Athletically-gifted swingmen are a dime a dozen in today's NBA. Every team has a 6-foot-6' prospect sitting at the end of the bench waiting for a chance to prove his worth. Most of these players have athletic ability but lack either the toughness or basketball smarts needed to become NBA regulars. Devin Brown has shown that he's a part of this group, and the Spurs should not offer him a contract this summer.

Brown has improved his numbers to 7.4 points and 1.4 assists per game on 42.3% shooting from the field, but couldn't any athletic swingman put up similar numbers in over 18 minutes on a championship-caliber team? The Spurs are going to need a defensive stopper to replace Bruce Bowen, and it's clear that Brown can't be that guy. He doesn't anticipate well on defense and regularly gets abused by other athletic swingmen.

Linton Johnson III needs some minutes to develop because he has the potential to become a Bowen-like defender and he is a better fit for head coach Gregg Popovich's defensive schemes. In addition, the Spurs should give another young swing player a chance. While Brown is an average bench player, he's probably not going to become much better. Other teams might offer him more than the league minimum, and if that happens, the Spurs need to let Brown go. They can get the same production out of a combination of Johnson and a minimum-salaried swingman, and they can be giving these players a chance to make a larger impact.

Manny Salgado: Devin Brown has produced off the bench in minutes that have been inconsistent all season long. While athletically gifted swingmen are quite prevalent in the NBA, those willing to learn a defensive system and play hard nose defense are not.

Devin Brown’s worst enemy this season has not been any lack of intelligence, effort and most definitely not toughness. No, Brown’s worst enemy this season has been the addition of one Brent Barry. And while Brown has played very well all season long when given minutes, Barry has been given special treatment in effort to “bust out” and play well.

The Spurs have already invested two full seasons into Brown. He has proven to be a good defender, he has the ability to create his own shot and he has shown flashes of being deadly from the outside.

Brown is far from perfect. An offseason spent working on his ball handling and improving his outside shot would be time well spent. However, on a team that has Tony Parker, Beno Udrih, Manu Ginobili and Barry, ball handling is not a huge concern for the swingman position. Also, Brown has shown flashes of greatness with his outside shot this season and in last year’s playoffs. An offseason of work coupled with consistent playing time would go far to make that much more frequent.

The Spurs would be foolish to let Devin Brown go by the wayside. They’ve already invested time and money into an individual who continues to show promise. That isn’t something you take so lightly.

Soucier: Picture this: It's the 2006 playoffs. Bowen is injured. He has aged and lost a step. The Spurs are playing Houston, and Pop assigns his new stopper to Tracy McGrady. Thirty exhausted minutes later, Ginobili sits on the bench with a towel over his head. Months of being the primary swing defender have worn on him.

Brown lacks the size and anticipation to be a stopper. With a league of Lebrons, Tracys, and Kobes, the team should invest a roster spot and some playing time to developing a replacement for Bowen. Johnson can be that guy. Brown can't.

Brown struggles when he plays irregular minutes. Johnson could get significant minutes and Barry is staying. The Spurs shouldn't pay Brown millions to bring an incompatible skill set and ride the pine. Someone will offer Brown $2 million. Holt won't spend tons of money and Luis Scola needs to be signed. The choice is obvious.

Salgado: Picture this: Tim Duncan is injured. Picture this: Tony Parker is injured.

Neither of those scenarios bode well for Spurs fans, but neither provides a reason to cut either of the players mentioned. In a year when players on this team are hurt and dropping like flies, Brown has proven to be a very durable player.

Defenders in the same class as Bowen simply are not under ever rock you turn over. Brown is already the defender put on the opponent’s best swingman when Bowen is out, so there’s no reason to believe he can’t fill the primary role in the future.

Any signing carries with it a gamble. You need look no further than Barry to see the evidence that nothing is as sure a thing as it may look in the summer. However, Brown carries experience and knowledge in addition to athleticism, and that makes him worth keeping.

Thanks to both MannyIsGod and Brodels for participating in this Battle Blog. The judges have spoken and declared MannyIsGod the winner.

What is your opinion?

Discuss.

Kori Ellis
03-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Good blogging.

(Before people criticize Manny, keep in mind this was written before Devin was injured.)

bigzak25
03-23-2005, 06:59 PM
good job guys. i agree with manny by default cuz i want to retain devin. of course, if he's offered ridiculous money and/or a starting job, he's gone, just like Jax. but it will be interesting to see how the money works out, and although I have hopes for LJ3 as well, his health and contributions are no guarantee....frankly, if he's good to go, he can take horrys spot next year and we still keep dev. i'm sure the spurs have a plan to do that AND bring in scola. well, i hope so.

dev is young, he hustles on D and on offense, and is one of the 3 shooters that i think has the talent and the balls to make an outside shot in the playoffs....i know bruce can, and i'm crossing my fingers with beno....and while i love manu, he's like a box of chocolates in the shooting dept.

ducks
03-23-2005, 07:04 PM
I want to retain brown due to he works out for the spurs
barry , mercer and hedo did not
it is a guess if spurs have to bring in somone else if they buy into the system
I do not want to offer brown a mle deal though
if he goes off in postseason it hurts chances he will be back thoug unless cba changes enough

GoldToe
03-23-2005, 08:06 PM
I still say Devin will be in the NBA and have a nice career.

PM5K
03-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Wait Devin Brown is a dime a dozen player but some team is going to offer him a contract that we won't be inclined to match?

Kori Ellis
03-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Wait Devin Brown is a dime a dozen player but some team is going to offer him a contract that we won't be inclined to match?

Some people think that teams like Charlotte or Atlanta might.

MannyIsGod
03-23-2005, 08:22 PM
I doubt Charlotte makes any long term moves before next season.

xcoriate
03-23-2005, 09:08 PM
someone might offer him a substancial part of the MLE and a chance to start.

I don't see the point of retaining him unless he is going to be a regular minutes guy. Next year do you start him at SF?

Kori Ellis
03-23-2005, 09:44 PM
I'll say the Spurs offer him a three-year/$11M contract.

T Park
03-23-2005, 09:51 PM
If Devin is smart hell take that.

Of course, I said the same identical thing about Stephen Jackson and he left.

Sandman52
03-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Since Dev is a hometown guy and Pop actually believed in him, wouldn't he give us a family discount? I think he stays unless some team blows him away with $$$ and a starting role. :king

SequSpur
03-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Lakers will get him.

sickdsm
03-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm a closet Dev fan but i think the other guy won that arguement hands down.

ducks
03-23-2005, 11:32 PM
if bobcats land joe johnson from the suns
they will let offer brown a big contract

MannyIsGod
03-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Jackson eventually got more money than that Tpark, so he did do the smart thing.

Notorious H.O.P.
03-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Kori, 3-11 sounds close to being right to me but this also comes as a result of the idea that the Spurs might overpay for him. At this point, despite Devin's progress, I think that he'd be more in line for 3yrs-8-9million. Of course, at this point, every one in the league bids against themselves, especially for a young player with potential. I'll disagree with Manny regarding Devin's potential defensive abilities, considering that what I have seen and apparently Pop has seen, Devin will PROBABLY NOT approach Bowen status (which is what we need to cover some of the supposed SUPERSTARS of this league). Devin is basically an adequate defender at this point. Do we love Devin? Yes. Do we love his hometown game? Yes. Is he Bowen-level on perimeter defense? No. I think most people will agree on most of these counts. Will the Spurs break the Bank for Devin? Most people would say No. Even 3-11 might be too rich for Holt's blood but anything less might be more palatible. Our system breeds good defenders but there is only so much you can teach. The rest comes from the ability to recognize situations and act accordingly. Athletic ability goes a long way to cover inadequacies in the short term, anything else and you have to pay really close attention to what people may be able to do and what they will probably never be able to do. For the right price, sign him, for anything else, good luck Devin. It's great to see a player we can connect on whatever level be a success. Hopefully it is with the Spurs. If not, please don't bite us in the ass in the future.

Signed,.....the City of San Antonio and all of it's Spurs Fans.

PM5K
03-24-2005, 02:23 AM
He ain't gonna get shit if he keeps having these back problems:

"Brown, who said he has had similar trouble the previous two seasons, injured his back while warming up before Sunday's game in Detroit. The team sent him home Tuesday."

whottt
03-24-2005, 03:29 AM
Damn, isn't this like the first time someone has beaten Brodels in a battle blog all season? I gotta give props to Manny for that...well done, you beat the Lakers.

Kori Ellis
03-24-2005, 03:33 AM
I doubt Charlotte makes any long term moves before next season.

Why do you say that?

I understood that it was common knowledge that they were going to go after Joe Johnson. He's even said that he wouldn't mind playing there.

Gummi
03-24-2005, 04:26 AM
The Spurs should try to sign Devin for a reasonable price. Kori's numbers look reasonable to me. Devin and Scola should be our main focus this comming off-season.

And explore trades for either Barry or Rasho. More Rasho now that we have Nazr with us.

tsb2000
03-24-2005, 09:35 AM
JJ is all but gone from the Suns. He's going to be a hot commodity for a lot of teams. No way the Suns can pay him what he's worth now with their contracts to Nash and Marion, plus they're going to have to pay Amare next year.

210born
03-24-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm just curious, i've seen threads and articles where bowen stops a guy or "locks him up" but the guy has 20-30 points. Yes bowen stops people sometimes, but damn i think he's highly overrated as a defender. Devin plays good TEAM defense, which is what the spurs play, so why not pay a guy that plays pretty good D who can give you 10-15 pts off the bench consistently given the opportunity. Jump down my throat if you want, but i just call it like i see it.

Brodels
03-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Damn, isn't this like the first time someone has beaten Brodels in a battle blog all season? I gotta give props to Manny for that...well done, you beat the Lakers.

No, I'm only at .500 right now. While I do agree that the Spurs shouldn't offer him very much (no more than $2 million or so per year) if they decide he should stick around, there was some taking one for the teamage in that blog.