04-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Tyler Smith - Tennessee Volunteers

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/tylersmith.jpg

Position: SF
Height: 6' 7"
Weight: 210 lbs
Birthday: 09/04/1986
(22 Years Old)
DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyler-Smith-1180/)
nbadraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/tyler-smith)
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=31982)

Bruno
05-14-2009, 05:23 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9574796/Testing-the-Waters:-Smith-gives-inside-glimpse

Tyler Smith will work out with Spurs this Sunday.

benefactor
05-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Poor man's James White(!). No thanks.

Spurs_9_20_21
05-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Poor man's James White(!). No thanks.
I agree! He's not that good!

Spurs_9_20_21
05-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Do you guys watch basket ball. This guy would be a great pick in the second round. He needs to improve his shot but he can do it all. Next year could be a lottery pick. We need athletes and he is one of the best at attacking the rim, and is a good defender.
I don't watch college basketball. A couple of times I did....he played poorly.....I guess from what you said, I'm kinda convinced.

Blackjack
05-16-2009, 09:22 PM
From what I've seen, and admittedly not as much as I've seen others, he's a pretty versatile player that does a lot well, but nothing great. Basically a really good "glue-guy" with the potential to be more.

I'm suprised to see that his draft stock has fallen to the point that him being available in the 2nd rd. is a possibility, (he was thought to be a lottery pick going into the season) but if that's the case?

The Spurs could do a lot worse.

TheProfessor
05-16-2009, 09:27 PM
From what I've seen, and admittedly not as much as I've seen others, he's a pretty versatile player that does a lot well, but nothing great. Basically a really good "glue-guy" with the potential to be more.

I'm suprised to see that his draft stock has fallen to the point that him being available in the 2nd rd. is a possibility, (he was thought to be a lottery pick going into the season) but if that's the case?

The Spurs could do a lot worse.
That matches well with the DX profile and what I've thought of Tyler. Last year, I would have been pretty happy with him late in the first round, but clearly his stock has dropped since then. Really, what you read about him makes him seem a bit like Hairston - the all-around guy who does a lot of things, but doesn't have it entirely together on the offensive end. He may be redundant if the Spurs have intentions of signing Hairston again, but yeah, I don't think he's a bad pick at 37.

Blackjack
05-16-2009, 09:55 PM
That matches well with the DX profile and what I've thought of Tyler. Last year, I would have been pretty happy with him late in the first round, but clearly his stock has dropped since then. Really, what you read about him makes him seem a bit like Hairston - the all-around guy who does a lot of things, but doesn't have it entirely together on the offensive end. He may be redundant if the Spurs have intentions of signing Hairston again, but yeah, I don't think he's a bad pick at 37.

Tyler has a lot of point-forward-type instincts to him. Somewhat similar to a Diaw. Defintely more of a playmaker than a scorer. Sticking in the league usually requires that you do at least one thing very well, so the onus is on Smith to find what that one thing is going to be. I do like his toughness and BBIQ, so in that, he would certainly fit the Spurs' mold.

Hairston is more in the Bonzi-mold. An undersized wing (height-wise) but plays not only bigger than his size would indicate, but actually with somewhat the mentality of a "big".

Hairston's mentality and basketball character already has him a leg-up on the likes of a Bonzi but his work-ethic, and ability to make the most of his next opportunity, will decide whether he can reach the level Bonzi was able to get to when he was at his best.

Bonzi might have been a knucklehead, but he was a damn good player for a stretch there.

TheProfessor
05-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Tyler has a lot of point-forward-type instincts to him. Somewhat similar to a Diaw. Defintely more of a playmaker than a scorer. Sticking in the league usually requires that you do at least one thing very well, so the onus is on Smith to find what that one thing is going to be. I do like his toughness and BBIQ, so in that, he would certainly fit the Spurs' mold.

Hairston is more in the Bonzi-mold. An undersized wing (height-wise) but plays not only bigger than his size would indicate, but actually with somewhat the mentality of a "big".

Hairston's mentality and basketball character already has him a leg-up on the likes of a Bonzi but his work-ethic, and ability to make the most of his next opportunity, will decide whether he can reach the level Bonzi was able to get to when he was at his best.

Bonzi might have been a knucklehead, but he was a damn good player for a stretch there.
If Tyler does have some point-forward in him, that would certainly work in his favor. Might actually be a blend of Williams and Hairston - point-forward capabilities, but with the lateral quickness and physicality to be a decent defender at the position. The lack of range on his jumper will definitely be his biggest hindrance.

Blackjack
05-16-2009, 10:33 PM
If Tyler does have some point-forward in him, that would certainly work in his favor. Might actually be a blend of Williams and Hairston - point-forward capabilities, but with the lateral quickness and physicality to be a decent defender at the position. The lack of range on his jumper will definitely be his biggest hindrance.

I'll be interested in seeing how his athleticism translates at the NBA-level defensively. If he's capable of guarding the elite-level athletes on the perimeter he'll have, at the least, a solid career.

Jeff Green is another player I see some similarites in his game to, so maybe he can suprise me the way Green did with his athleticism at the next level. Granted, he doesn't quite have Green's measurables and his ceiling probably isn't quite as high, but I'm looking forward in seeing how his game translates.

duncan228
05-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Pearl says Smith doing well at NBA workouts (http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/may/18/pearl-says-smith-doing-well-nba-workouts/)
By Mike Griffith

Tennessee’s Tyler Smith has been on top of his game in his workouts, according to UT coach Bruce Pearl.

“I’ve seen a maturity in Tyler over the past three or four weeks as it relates to him getting himself ready,’’ Pearl said. “He’s playing his best basketball right now.’’

Smith, a 6-foot-6 junior projected to play small forward at the NBA level, worked out for the San Antonio Spurs last weekend and the Cleveland Cavaliers on Monday.

Smith is scheduled to work out with the Washington Wizards and Chicago Bulls later this week.

The evaluation concludes with a combine-like event in Chicago on May 27-30, and Smith is expected to announce whether he’ll return for his senior season at UT soon thereafter.

“This is the opportunity of his lifetime,’’ Pearl said. “It’s a win-win situation for him, and he has clearly stepped it up.

“Based on what we’ve heard, he has to work his way up from (projections) the middle of the second round.’’

Smith has until June 15 to withdraw from the NBA draft, which takes place on June 25.

Statistics indicate that approximately half of the players selected in the second round of past NBA drafts sign contracts.

Only first-round picks sign guaranteed contracts, hence Smith’s approach that he needs to be projected to be selected “comfortably’’ in the first round.

Smith has said he’s not sure if playing in Europe would be the best thing for his family at this point of his career, as he has a toddler son to support and spend time with.

Projections: DraftExpress.com, on Monday, projected Smith would be selected with the 43rd overall pick in the NBA Draft by the Miami Heat.

The website projects 13 small forwards selected in the two rounds, five of them in the first round. Smith would be the 12th small forward taken if the projections are correct.

The NBAdraft.net website, in its most recent projections on May 11 does not have Smith among the 60 players and 16 small forwards expected to be chosen.

NBADraft.net projects Smith to be the 27th overall player and eighth small forward taken in the 2010 draft. J.P. Prince, who is overcoming shoulder surgery, is projected to go No. 52 overall in 2010, 12th among shooting guards.

loveforthegame
05-18-2009, 10:14 PM
It depends who's left on the board but if he's available at 37 he wouldn't be a bad pick at all. I like that he's good at a lot of things instead of just specializing in one thing. I see no reason he couldn't improve his shot over the summer.

Blackjack
05-30-2009, 02:05 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/05/30/the-theater-of-hop-skip-jump/

Bruno
05-30-2009, 03:49 PM
If he stays in the draft, Smith seems to be a damn strong candidate for #37.

benefactor
05-30-2009, 06:02 PM
If he stays in the draft, Smith seems to be a damn strong candidate for #37.
I'd rather have Casspi, Green or Young...but if they are all gone you could be right. If he has just had a bit of a down year this year after being seen as a first round prospect at the beginning of the season, then he could wind up a diamond in the rough pick.

mountainballer
05-31-2009, 05:47 PM
it was a bit disappointing how he measured, but in combination with his athleticism he would still be a good option for a SF.
he looks pretty similar to Caron Butler in terms of size and athleticism and a poor man's Butler might also be the best case scenario for Smith. (which would still make him a nice option for a 2nd round pick).
or maybe a poor man's John Salmons? he also didn't have a good shot coming into the league.

MaNu4Tres
05-31-2009, 05:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS3XoVbrLZ4

usckk
05-31-2009, 09:37 PM
I go to Tennessee, and I just don't think he's a good fit for the Spurs. Quite frankly, I really don't think he's even good.

His game is like a PF, but his size is more like a SF. He's good at creating his own shots within the paint, but he cannot hit outside shots. Also, he doesn't play good defense. I'll pass.

TDMVPDPOY
05-31-2009, 09:39 PM
6'6? that to me is long 3 we are lookin for....

usckk
06-02-2009, 05:57 AM
6'6? that to me is long 3 we are lookin for....

Yes, he is long. However, he doesn't play like Ariza. He moves slower and has not outside game.

Blackjack
06-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Overseas a possibility?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/06/02/smith.ap/index.html

JoshO501
06-04-2009, 11:30 AM
he hurt his stock staying another year. i remember draft boards had him around late teens early 20's last year.

usckk
06-04-2009, 11:35 AM
he hurt his stock staying another year. i remember draft boards had him around late teens early 20's last year.

Yes, possibly. However, the odds were not with him. That's why he stayed another year. Bruce Pearl told him that if he was not guaranteed to be in the first round to stay another year, and he did.

He should go back to UT for another year.

duncan228
06-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Person of interest: Tyler Smith (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/06/person-of-inter-2.html)
By Jeff McDonald

One of the Spurs' priorities for this offseason is to get younger on the wing, especially at the small forward position. The top three small forwards in their rotation at the end of the season -- Michael Finley, Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka -- are all on the north side of 30 years old.

That has to make a prospect like Tyler Smith, who came to San Antonio for a pre-draft audition last month, seem awfully enticing.

Smith entered his junior season at Tennessee last season as a prospect ready to explode. Instead, he enjoyed a season that was good but not great -- which might work out for the Spurs.

Had Smith taken The Leap last season, he probably wouldn't have been on the draft board by the time the Spurs were on the clock in the second round.

There is much to like about Smith as a second-round flier. At 6-foot-7 with a long wingspan, Smith has the prototypical NBA body for a small forward. He is an explosive slasher, projecting as a Trevor Ariza-type in terms of both body and style.

Smith wasn't much of a perimeter shooter in college -- so don't expect him to be launching those Bowen-patented corner 3-pointers, at least not at first. He is also only an average defender, but has the potential to improve in that area.

He won't be an NBA star, but with some improvements to his game, Smith could be a solid role player. The Spurs could do worse at the 37th pick.

Pucho!!!
06-05-2009, 04:12 PM
The real question about whether or not the spurs decide to draft this guy or any other wing relies on how confident they are with Hairston and Williams? I mean, does anyone see any realistic options that would fit better than these 2? Its slim pickings this draft with the majority of the talent residing in the Guard positions.

wildbill2u
06-05-2009, 06:55 PM
We don't need any more short SFs. 6'6" -7" is now the size of the SG position.

Blackjack
06-06-2009, 12:39 AM
There is much to like about Smith as a second-round flier. At 6-foot-7 with a long wingspan, Smith has the prototypical NBA body for a small forward. He is an explosive slasher, projecting as a Trevor Ariza-type in terms of both body and style.

Height w/o Shoes w/shoes Weight Wingspan Reach

Trevor Ariza 6' 7" 6' 8.25" 201 7' 2" 8' 11.5"

Tyler Smith 6' 5.25" 6' 6" 212 6' 9.75" 8' 8.5"

Yeah, not so much, Jeff.:wakeup

He won't be an NBA star, but with some improvements to his game, Smith could be a solid role player. The Spurs could do worse at the 37th pick.

Sounds familiar.

I've got to wonder, with the economy the way it is, wouldn't the E-N save a few dollars by sponsoring this site, and just providing a link to ST on their sports page?

Pucho!!!
06-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Can anyone tell me if they believe there will be a more talented wing player available @ the #37 pick than say Hairston or Williams?

yavozerb
06-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Can anyone tell me if they believe there will be a more talented wing player available @ the #37 pick than say Hairston or Williams?

IF you are asking if we can find a 10-12 bench player then yes...If we are depending on williams or hairston to take over the wing then the spurs are in trouble.

Pucho!!!
06-06-2009, 08:54 PM
IF you are asking if we can find a 10-12 bench player then yes...If we are depending on williams or hairston to take over the wing then the spurs are in trouble.

Who then? Cuz Omri looks to be gone by then and this smith dude doesn't seem like he'd fit any better plus both hairston and williams know the system better than anyone else. The more I look at it the more it looks as tho the spurs will prolly get a couple guards and a project in this draft. We don't need them 2 to take over games just provide energy in areas we're lackin for about 10-15 min. TBH, I see the wing being played by committee this year. I see hairston becoming a tony allen type player and williams seems proficient in scoring so y waste a pick on sumone who won't do better than our previous draft picks. I would be singing a different tune if this was a deep Forward draft, but its not so I'm skeptical that we could do any better unless u could help me with sum names and y? OH, and don't forget about the GIST!!!

usckk
06-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Yes, possibly. However, the odds were not with him. That's why he stayed another year. Bruce Pearl told him that if he was not guaranteed to be in the first round to stay another year, and he did.

He should go back to UT for another year.

Looks like he took my advice and is back at UT.

Blackjack
06-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Looks like he took my advice and is back at UT.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9670278/Sources:-Vols'-Smith-will-withdraw-from-draft

yavozerb
03-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Guy has great size for the 3 and due to his off the court problems will probably go late 1st to mid 2nd..

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyler-Smith-1180/

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/tyler-smith

yavozerb
03-03-2010, 11:05 AM
This guy could be intriguing cause of his size and athleticism at the 3..Due to his off the court problems he should be available in late 1st to mid 2nd i think.

Bruno
03-03-2010, 12:53 PM
He has signed with a team in Turkey for the rest of the season. I guess he could be a nice gamble to make with a late second round pick or with a training camp invite.

AFBlue
03-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Can you say Josh Howard v2.0?

He's got the jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none thing and the off-court-knucklehead thing going for him.

mountainballer
04-26-2010, 10:16 AM
He has signed with a team in Turkey for the rest of the season. I guess he could be a nice gamble to make with a late second round pick or with a training camp invite.

BUMP!
two months later this looks like an even better idea.
Smith has been playing great in Turkey.
10 games (34 MPG), 18.6 PPG (56% FG, 9-20 3pt), 7.4 RPG, 4.5 APG.
the Turkish league isn't a top league in Europe, but it's not that bad either.
a lot of American players play there. (Smith has been doing much better than Ricky Davis for example, who arrived in Turkey at the same time)

Smith has disappeared from most draft boards, but this might have been a mistake. aside the off court issues, he still should be a sure fire 2nd round pick.
this leads to the question, is he really a hopeless case?
hm, 1st you hear suspended and dismissed, you hear gun, Marijuana and Alcohol and think never ever Spurs material.
yes, Smith for sure hasn't been a model student, but looking closer at what happened, it doesn't look that bad any more.
what had happened:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4808530
Police pulled over the vehicle the four players were in for speeding and said they smelled marijuana coming from the car and found a handgun with an altered serial number, a bag of marijuana and an open container of alcohol. Tatum was driving the car, which was a rental borrowed from one of the player's friends, and is also charged with violating Tennessee's open container law.

Smith's lawyer, Knoxville attorney Don Bosch, said, "I hope and believe that the misdemeanor cases against him will be resolved quickly and consistent with the thousands of other true first offenders in Knox County."

from a Bruce Pearl interview:

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2010-01-09/tennessee-coach-bruce-pearl-i-have-be-accountable-for-failures
To the best of my ability, it's been determined that Tyler was responsible, and the other kids didn't have knowledge. As of this moment, those others are still charged. They're still suspended indefinitely. But I had enough information – in good part because of Tyler's own information from the very beginning, he told me that if anybody was going to be accountable for those guns he was. Not that they were his, but he either knew they were there or should have known they were there, and the other guys had nothing to do with it.

Pearl is known to be a pretty tough coach, he has a history of suspending players for misdemeanor without pardon.
what I try to say: if Smith plays for another school, he might have got another chance, finish his college career and likely get drafted somewhere between 30 and 40.
at least Spurs could think about gamble on him with their 2nd rounder.

yavozerb
04-26-2010, 10:48 AM
smith would be a great 2nd rd pick..Very low risk at that point.

TheProfessor
04-26-2010, 11:16 AM
The reason a second round pick really makes sense here is that he can remain over in Europe for the time being and continue developing. He would probably be more amenable to that alternative than most other American players, guy would be thrilled just to get drafted at this point.

MB - do you think he'd be able to move up to a more competitive league after a good season in Turkey?

coyotes_geek
04-26-2010, 11:27 AM
I've been high on Tyler Smith for a couple of years now. I'd love to grab him if he were there in the 2nd. But it's going to depend on what the Spurs do in the 1st round though. If they go sg-sf in the first round, then it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to draft another one in the 2nd, especially considering that Hairston is still in the mix.

mountainballer
04-26-2010, 11:30 AM
MB - do you think he'd be able to move up to a more competitive league after a good season in Turkey?

definitely yes. but the best chance for him might be to change teams within the Turkish league and play either for one of the 2 Euroleague teams, or at least one of the 3 Eurocup teams.

Bruno
04-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Very interesting.

If he is fine with staying in Europe next year, he could be a good option at #49.

benefactor
04-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Depending in what the Spurs have in mind for this year's second round pick, Smith would be a nice option for a draft and stash. It's low risk and could be very high reward if he continues to develop.

kbrury
04-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Depending in what the Spurs have in mind for this year's second round pick, Smith would be a nice option for a draft and stash. It's low risk and could be very high reward if he continues to develop.

:tu

mountainballer
04-27-2010, 05:03 AM
So why do the Spurs get pick 49, but not 19?

there was a separate draw for 1st round and 2nd round between Spurs, Celtics, Thunder and Blazers. Spurs were pretty lucky and got the 2nd best possible 1st rounder (#20) and the best possible 2nd rounder (#49).

mountainballer
04-27-2010, 05:11 AM

assuming the Spurs bring in Splitter AND the #20 pick, it looks very unlikely that they also plan to sign this years 2nd rounder. so a draft & stash scenario (or they trade the pick anyhow) is the best bet I guess. makes Smith even more intriguing. especially if they want an alternative if Hairston never makes the regular rotation.

Bruno
04-27-2010, 05:31 AM
there was a separate draw for 1st round and 2nd round between Spurs, Celtics, Thunder and Blazers. Spurs were pretty lucky and got the 2nd best possible 1st rounder (#20) and the best possible 2nd rounder (#49).

There isn't two separate draws.

The team that won the draw get the first pick in the first round and the last one in the second round. Boston won and got #19 and #52. There are after other draws to separate losers of the first draw. Spurs won it and got #20 and #49.

It would be more logical if the order between losers was also swapped in the second round (the winner got #20 and #51) but it isn't the case for whatever reason.

AFBlue
04-27-2010, 04:16 PM

I think it actualy depends how the first round unfolds. Most of us think the logical position to target for the first round will be at SF. But if the Spurs see a good fit or high-potential player at another position (i.e. athletic shot-blocker) and go that direction, I could see Smith becoming a very likely target in the second round.

TimDunkem
06-21-2010, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't mind if the Spurs took a gamble on this guy with the 2nd rounder.

ChuckD
06-21-2010, 06:49 PM
23? Kicked out of his college program? He doesn't do anything particularly well for his position. He's athletic, but not a freak. DX has him rated #98. No need to waste a pick. He'll be there as a FA.

pad300
06-22-2010, 09:36 PM
23? Kicked out of his college program? He doesn't do anything particularly well for his position. He's athletic, but not a freak. DX has him rated #98. No need to waste a pick. He'll be there as a FA.

Really, check out his assists,TO's, A/TO ratio and Pure Point Rating.

From his NCAA stats, 5.3 A/40p, 1.9 TO/40p, 2.75 A/TO, and a 4.06 PPR
I don't have TO #'s for Turkey, but he put up 4.1 APG in 33.4 MPG (ie 4.9 A/40). So his assists didn't drop off a lot transitioning to a pro league, in a different culture...

Compare those to the PG from 2008
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-by-the-numbers...Evaluating-this-Year-s-Point-Guard-Crop-2066/
from 2009
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-by-the-Numbers--Evaluating-this-year-s-Point-Guard-Crop-2919/
from 2010
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-the-Numbers-The-2010-Point-Guard-Crop-3510/

He's midpack with respect to A/40p, he leads ALL the prospects in TO/40p, his A/TO ratio is 2nd out of all those prospects (beaten by Mike Conley at 2.77), and his PPR is either 3ed over all 3 years of PG prospects (behind Conley and Lawson). And these are the F'ing PG's I'm comparing him to. His potential to play either Point Forward or possibly even straight up PG sticks out like a sore thumb...

Yeah, he needs to get a jumpshot. Fine, he can stay in Europe, he's already over there... As a 2nd round pick, I like the talent level a lot.

TimDunkem
06-23-2010, 11:17 AM
(http://twitter.com/DraftExpress)@TyLeR_SMITH_1 (http://twitter.com/TyLeR_SMITH_1): Just touched down in Milwuakee... And they just traded for another pick in the draft.. Lookin kinda good for ya boy...

pad300
07-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Question: Does anybody know what's going on with Smith? Is he playing Summer League? IMO, the Spurs should try and bring him in...

Blackjack
07-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Haven't heard anything.

I've always liked him as a player too, but it's hard to speak as to where he is with all of the off-court stuff (or if the Spurs would even have any interest because of it).

coyotes_geek
07-08-2010, 05:41 PM
No sign of smith on the summer league rosters found on nba.com, but I'm not sure how accurate those rosters are.

If he didn't get drafted, and he's not on someone's summer league team, then that's not a good sign for him.

pad300
07-08-2010, 06:16 PM
The spurs should bring in a gang banger with a rap sheet, who cant shoot anything but a 9mm???

I congratulate you on proving that you are indeed a hopeless retard...

FYI, his stats in the Turkish (a professional league, where MEN are PAID to play... ie >>> NCAA)

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=USA&PlayerID=116686

42.9% on European 3's, 53.1% on 2FG's. "cant shoot anything but a 9mm???"

benefactor
07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Good God you sure can pick em! Draft and stash...LOL
lol sources
lol Larry Sanders teammate

benefactor
07-08-2010, 07:54 PM
lol picking 15 players then saying you called it when one gets picked

pad300
07-26-2010, 11:15 PM
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/jul/26/former-vol-smith-signs-bornova-turkish-league/

Smith signs to play for Bornova in the Turkish League.

I am not sure how strong the Turkish league is in Euro terms - Obviously, it's not Spain... but how is it relative to croatian and greek leagues? Does anyone know if Bornova is playing Euroleague or ULEB or anything else beyond the Turkish league?

wildbill2u
07-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Water finds its own level.

Blackjack
07-27-2010, 12:51 AM
Water finds its own level.

Water does what Tim Duncan tells it to.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-27-2010, 04:49 AM
The Admiral rules over the water.