PDA

View Full Version : Spurs To Host Military Appreciation Night on Friday

Kori Ellis
03-23-2005, 06:27 PM
March 23, 2005
Spurs To Host Military Appreciation Night

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/militarynight_050325.html

The San Antonio Spurs have announced that the team will host a “Military Appreciation Night” on Friday, March 25 when the team takes on the Atlanta Hawks at the SBC Center at 7:30 pm.

To show their appreciation to the dedicated troops in this time of war, Spurs suite holders and front row seat holders are donating nearly 500 tickets to the game for wounded soldiers and families of fallen soldiers. Also, as not to let our soldiers and families go hungry, Levy Restaurants and Ben E. Keith are donating the food and beverages provided to the suites and front row seat holders during the game.

In celebration of all the military men and women who are serving or have served in the war, a spectacular program for the evening has been planned.

There will be a pre-tip presentation to recognize and thank the service men and women of this area by presenting ceremonial plaques to a representative from each branch of the military - Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. The plaques signify the importance of the military to the San Antonio Community.

The National Anthem will be sung by 40 choir members from three different Texas schools: Gutierrez Middle School from Harlingen, Roswell High School from Roswell and Big Spring High School from Big Spring. During the Anthem, The Living Flag will be revealed. Twenty-six children will unfurl the U.S. Flag across the court in 13 individual strips which will reveal the stars and stripes of our country’s most recognizable symbol.

As an added feature of the night, families will have an opportunity to take part in Freedom Calls. There will be a two-way audio/video hookup that will enable selected soldiers and their family members in the audience to see and talk to each other. These pre-recorded video messages from deployed San Antonio units currently serving in Iraq will be shown on the Lighthouse during halftime.

Other highlights of “Military Appreciation Night” include:

Every person that enters the SBC Center will be given an American Flag to commemorate the evening, courtesy of H-E-B.

Throughout the game, recorded video vignettes will be playing on the Lighthouse that include messages from Spurs players paying tribute to the military.

Spurs Sports & Entertainment would like to extend a special thank you to the following companies/individuals for donating their tickets and/or suites and making this important event possible - Armstrong Family; Bank of America; Ben E. Keith Foods; Brown Dodge; Bruce Hill; Budco, Ltd.; Caremark Rx; Carla & Andrew Morrison; Carrington Gallery, Ltd.; Clear Channel; Cox Radio, Inc.; Dailey Wells Communications; Dr. Arturo Bonilla & Family; Dr. Jorge Bonilla & Family; Ernst & Young LLP; Express Carriers; Fleishman-Hillard Inc.; Fred Battah; FSN Southwest; George Becknell Jr.; Gore Design Completions, Ltd.; Hill Country Classics; Holt CAT; Ingram Park Auto Center; Kinetic Concepts, Inc.; Larry Benson; La-Z- Boy- San Antonio; Levy Restaurants; Lucent Technologies; Mike Battah; Obra Homes; Pape- Dawson Engineers, Inc.; Peter Holt; Qwest Communications, Inc.; SA 58 Investments, LLC; SA 59 Investments, LLC; Texas MedClinic; Tesoro Corporation; The Scooter Store; Ticketmaster, LLC; Tidelands Oil & Gas; Tim Blonkvist; Tom & Silvia Cusick; Toyota; T.R.U.E. Research and Valero Energy Corporation.

ducks
03-23-2005, 06:54 PM
this is cool

Kori Ellis
03-23-2005, 06:56 PM
As an added feature of the night, families will have an opportunity to take part in Freedom Calls. There will be a two-way audio/video hookup that will enable selected soldiers and their family members in the audience to see and talk to each other.

That's really great!

SequSpur
03-23-2005, 06:57 PM
These things happen when you can't sell tickets because you can't win.

Where was this program when the Spurs were winning?

Hypocrites.

timvp
03-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Very nice. Props to everyone who put it together.

P.S.

The Spurs should also thank the Mavericks. Didn't one of their fans come up with the idea? Also IIRC, their Military night was against the Hawks as well.

Kori Ellis
03-23-2005, 06:59 PM

The game is sold out except about 500 tickets and it's against the Hawks. This was planned long before Duncan got hurt, dumbass. :rolleyes

SequSpur
03-23-2005, 07:02 PM
I heard there were about 2500 tickets available.

"The San Antonio Spurs have announced that the team will host a “Military Appreciation Night” on Friday, March 25 when the team takes on the Atlanta Hawks at the SBC Center at 7:30 pm."

When was this announced? Today.

It's called marketing.

You either sell the tickets or give them away for the tax write off.

Its a business. Ask Malik.

As long as the Spurs are winning, they don't give a crap about giving tickets away or spending money on anything but the game.

Kori Ellis
03-23-2005, 07:05 PM
The Military Appreciation Night was planned over two weeks ago; they didn't just dream it up yesterday. And as of this morning there was reportedly less than 1,000 tickets available.

ducks
03-23-2005, 07:12 PM
I think david robinson had somethign to do with this

Gerryatrics
03-25-2005, 09:37 AM
The Sonics are having a Military Appreciation Night tonight too. My brother (Army, Helicopter Pilot, Spent nine months in Iraq, three in a military hospital in Germany) picked up a couple of tickets at Ft. Lewis and we were going to go. In an ironic twist of fate, he got stuck with duty tonight and can't make it. I'm not going to go without him so I'll be watching the game from home. Sucks, but that's life. Maybe we can make the Mariners Military Night in April.

Ishta
03-25-2005, 10:26 AM
I think it's great!!

Clandestino
03-25-2005, 10:38 AM
The game is sold out except about 500 tickets and it's against the Hawks. This was planned long before Duncan got hurt, dumbass. :rolleyes

LOL!!!

Clandestino
03-25-2005, 10:39 AM
the only thing that sucks about the american flag giveaway... everyone time something is given away you always see tons of whatever it is on the floor... i hope there isn't even 1 american flag on the floor of sbc..

Clandestino
03-25-2005, 10:44 AM
The San Antonio Spurs have announced that the team will host a “Military Appreciation Night” on Friday, March 25 when the team takes on the Atlanta Hawks at the SBC Center at 7:30 pm.

To show their appreciation to the dedicated troops in this time of war, Spurs suite holders and front row seat holders are donating nearly 500 tickets to the game for wounded soldiers and families of fallen soldiers. Also, as not to let our soldiers and families go hungry, Levy Restaurants and Ben E. Keith are donating the food and beverages provided to the suites and front row seat holders during the game.

these tickets have been purchased since the beginning of the season... it is not like they are giving the balcony seats away that weren't sold.

Sonia_TX
03-25-2005, 10:59 AM
the only thing that sucks about the american flag giveaway... everyone time something is given away you always see tons of whatever it is on the floor... i hope there isn't even 1 american flag on the floor of sbc..

I know my flag won't be on the floor. I hope I don't see any on the floor tonight either. Tonights going to be great...I'm excited for this.

Rummpd
03-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Call out the troops! Just what our commander needed and asked for yesterday. An in house reserve = awesome!

Seriously way to go our Armed Forces!

LoveMySpurs
03-25-2005, 12:21 PM
As a military member (Air Force) I think the special recognition is GREAT and really appreciate the support! I've been deployed (to the hospital in Germany) and work with many who have spent time in Iraq.

BTW this was promoted to the military over a month ago...not a last minute ploy to sell tickets!!!

Summers
03-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Segu, that's just a tacky and tasteless assertion from you. Not everything is contrived and just about business.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-25-2005, 12:29 PM
I heard somewhere that Sequ likes to start sheyitt.

Rummpd
03-25-2005, 12:44 PM
LoveMySpurs:

Way to go - By the way, I am a retired Army doctor who commanded both a field hospital and a fixed site that was joint service, coming up through the ranks from being a combat medic and then an X ray tech private at Ft. Sam. You may well be or have been at my old stomping grounds at Landstuhl!!

Needless to say, lots of great memories in training including in good old SA!!!

[B]Heck of respect for what you are all doing to carry on the military medical tradition - now stand at ease and celebrate one for me!

Oh by the way, it is my professional opinion that SequSpur probably based strictly on his posts, would go over well in the Navy, they tend to gripe about everything over on the high seas - part of the culture. On the other hand if he became a war time officer he might be "fragged".

LoveMySpurs
03-25-2005, 12:54 PM
To Rummpd-

Yes, I was at Landstuhl when the war kicked off in '03--I'm a RN. Knew the SPURS would take the championship since I wouldn't be there to watch in person. Got up at 0400 one AM to watch them play the Lakers, and watched many other games while eating breakfast getting ready for work. Now THAT is an odd experience. But you do what you gotta do!

GO SPURS GO!!!

Rummpd
03-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Hats off to you again and all your nursing copatriots = I have even watched the Spurs or other NBA action myself on public health trips in the middle of the friggin night in Russia, Bosnia, Lithuania, and Australia.

In retrospect it was worth it every time!

Sonia_TX
03-25-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm such a baby. I cried tonight at halftime when they had the special presentation. I was happy to be there among all the military men and women and their families.

Jdspur20
03-26-2005, 12:09 AM
this is great. since i live in the DFW area, the mavs did the same thing back in december. after they did that, all i heard was how great mark cuban is for doing this and how other teams should follow this good example. little do people know up here that many nba teams plan this before or at the same time that the mavs did. this is what i have to put up with in mavs world. this "they can do no wrong" attitude, its ridiculous. :pctoss

SequSpur
03-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Rumppd,

8 years in the Army.

No slack.

T Park
03-26-2005, 12:41 AM
They did the same thing at at Vince Gill concert in December.

If you weren't crying, you weren't alive.

Period.

Props to the courtside seat fans that gave up there seats.

770 a seat isn't a cheap giveaway.

major props

Experiment2100
03-26-2005, 01:08 AM
Now i feel bad for dissing the Mavs fans when they did this against the Hawks.

CHAMPS AGAIN
03-26-2005, 01:27 AM

Where was this program when the Spurs were winning?

Hypocrites.

KORI is right your such a DUMBASS,the SPURS can't do nothing for a good cause because you are such a DUMBASS,HYPOCRITES ASSHOLE with all of your dumb commets. If you don't like what they do just leave this FORUM YOU BIG ASSHOLE

SequSpur
03-26-2005, 03:03 AM
Nice take. Now how about you go play hide and go screw yourself???

Let me know.