PDA

View Full Version : Garcia: After Taste Of Success, Nuggets, Mavs Hungrier Than Ever

duncan228
05-01-2009, 12:58 AM
After taste of success, Nuggets, Mavs hungrier than ever (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/art_garcia/04/30/breakdown.20090430/)
By Art Garcia, NBA.com

The Nuggets hadn't won a Playoffs series in 15 years. And it just felt like that long for the Mavericks, after losing their past three postseason series in painful fashion.

Now, though neither team can lay claim to ultimate redemption after their just-completed first-round wins, a definite weight has been lifted.

"Finally, it took me five years to get that gorilla off my back," Denver's Carmelo Anthony said after closing out the Hornets. "It was a great feeling."

Dallas had felt nothing but postseason heartbreak lately, starting with The Finals collapse in 2006 and two subsequent first-round flameouts. That changed with the Mavs' knockout of the third-seeded Spurs.

"It's definitely a big step for us," Dirk Nowitzki said. "I think our role players played great throughout the series for us."

The Western Conference semifinals promise to be more competitive than the season series (Denver won 4-0) and the first round, when both the Nuggets and Mavericks needed just five games to advance. The victor will stand just one step away from The Finals and perhaps that ultimate redemption.

Head-to-head

Carmelo Anthony vs. Josh Howard: The former All-Star teammates starred in the opening round, though the performance from Melo was more expected than J-Ho's breakout. Anthony put up numbers (24 ppg, six rpg, 5.2 apg) consistent with the regular season. Nuggets coach George Karl even expects "he'll play better now that the stress has lessened." Anthony burned Dallas to the tune of 31.3 points a game, including a high of 43, during the season.

Various injuries robbed Howard of 30 games during the season, including two against Denver. Though his left ankle still isn't right, Howard was, in the words of Nowitzki, the "X-factor" against the Spurs. He averaged 18.8 points, 5.4 boards and shot 49.2 percent -- all up from the season.

"It's the playoffs," Howard said. "You can't come with your 'C' game. You have to come with your 'A' game. I was just ready."

Behind the numbers

3 -- Points or fewer separating the teams in three of the four meetings this season. Denver won all three and swept the four-game series.

Five big questions

1. When it comes to steady hands, what are the differences between Chauncey Billups and Kidd?

These veteran point guards, both on the second tour of duty with their respective clubs, know how to win. Billups brings a championship pedigree and blended in seamlessly after an early season trade to the Nuggets. The Denver native is the coach on the floor Karl always craved for a sometimes volatile group. One of the league's best shooters, Billups went nuts in the first round, knocking down 65.5 of his 3-point tries in helping the Nuggets to their first postseason series win since 1994.

"It feels a little different because I am on my home turf," Billups said. "It is a little sweeter. But we got a long way to go to accomplish what we did in Detroit."

Kidd's transition wasn't quite as smooth when he came to Dallas last season, and it took about half of this one before he started to click in Rick Carlisle's system. Even though he can hit the 3, Kidd won't "wow" people with a Chauncey-like eruption from beyond the arc. J-Kidd's bread-and-butter revolves around those intuitive plays that often don't show up on the stat sheet.

2. Who's deeper?

Both teams wore down their first-round foes. The Nuggets, amazingly, had nine players log at least 15 minutes per game against New Orleans. Eight of them averaged at least 7.6 points a game. Some have argued that Denver is even better with second unit staples J.R. Smith, Chris "Birdman" Andersen and Linas Kleiza on the floor.

The Mavericks went with a solid eight-man rotation in eliminating San Antonio. Beyond a starting lineup built around Nowitzki, Howard and Jason Kidd, Dallas relies heavily on Sixth Man of the Year Jason Terry and J.J. Barea. Nowitzki averaged 30 points a game against Denver this season.

3. How effective will Smith and Barea continue to be?

The tendency for both is to force shots at times, but considering their success, who can blame them? Anthony and Billups were the only Nuggets to score more than Smith, both during the season and in the first round, despite Smith coming (reluctantly) off the bench. He's an immense talent with a ton of emotional baggage. Dallas' perimeters will have their hands full.

Barea was a surprise starter in the last three games of the first round, and his quickness gave San Antonio fits. The Spurs, though, weren't able to exploit the generously listed Barea (they say he's 6-feet tall) on the defensive end. Other than checking Tony Parker at times, Barea was able to "hide" on the perimeter against San Antonio's jump shooters. Look for the longer and more athletic Nuggets to post up the Puerto Rican A.I. (old nickname).

4. Have the Mavericks gone from road dogs to road warriors?

After going just 18-23 outside of Dallas during the regular season, the Mavericks won two of three in San Antonio, including the series clincher. Denver's 33-8 mark at the Pepsi Center tied for the second-best in the West during the season, and the Nuggets blew New Orleans out in all three playoff home games.

If the Mavericks are going to beat another higher seed, they need to get it done on the road at least once. It won't be easy inside the Can.

"We haven't played with the same type of confidence on the road that we have at home all season," Dirk Nowitzki said. "We are going to be the underdog. Denver looks phenomenal, maybe even better than the Lakers."

5. Are the Nuggets mature enough to handle success?

Billups' contributions can't be overstated. Anthony has made strides coming off a summer with Team USA, but he still has had his bouts with immaturity (including a refusal to come out of a game). Smith and Birdman are wild cards -- stress wild.

Still, Karl likes what he has. Wade through the flamboyance and there's a commitment to defense and a feeling that everyone is pulling in the same direction.

"We are good," he said. "I haven't been able to say that in a proud way. Dallas is playing good basketball, but I like my team. I thought we were going to be a good team this year. I never thought we could be this good."

Prediction

Nuggets in 7: We're in for a wildly entertaining series that'll have its share of combustible moments. Denver's mix of athleticism and shot-making ability will be the difference.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-01-2009, 01:11 AM
this is going to be a great series. i've always liked carmelo. it's about time he grew up and grew out of that thug mentality he had. i wanna see chauncy and terry tangle it up. Nuggs in 6

baseline bum
05-01-2009, 01:16 AM
The Nuggets eat soup with a fork.

TampaDude
05-01-2009, 03:03 AM
The Nuggets eat soup with a fork.

The Nuggets CAN touch MC Hammer.