PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Austin

Xylus
05-01-2009, 05:39 AM
I'm leaving my comfy home in Tucson, AZ for a summer job in Austin, TX as an alarm technician. I lived in Austin for an entire month last year and loved it, so I'm really looking forward to going back. It's such an easy-going and friendly place; I enjoyed my time there immensely.

Anyone here live in Austin?

I'll be leaving in about a week, whereupon my arrival I have to take a Fire Alarm Technical test and a Fire Alarm Insurance Code test. Apparently both tests are extremely difficult and most of my remaining free time in Tucson will be spent studying. Kinda lame, but what can you do.

Summers
05-01-2009, 06:42 AM
We lived there for several years and really loved it, but the traffic has gotten really bad. There's always something fun going on (usually involving food, like salsa competitions) and lots of good music.

leemajors
05-01-2009, 06:53 AM
i live in austin. you can get around the traffic.

CubanMustGo
05-01-2009, 07:12 AM
If you're able to live near downtown ($$$) then the traffic isn't nearly so bad (getting into and out of downtown during rush are the worst). We live out between Round Rock and Cedar Park, but since both of our jobs are in North Austin we don't have to fight the traffic.

LnGrrrR
05-01-2009, 07:46 AM
I'm leaving my comfy home in Tucson, AZ for a summer job in Austin, TX as an alarm technician. I lived in Austin for an entire month last year and loved it, so I'm really looking forward to going back. It's such an easy-going and friendly place; I enjoyed my time there immensely.

Anyone here live in Austin?

I'll be leaving in about a week, whereupon my arrival I have to take a Fire Alarm Technical test and a Fire Alarm Insurance Code test. Apparently both tests are extremely difficult and most of my remaining free time in Tucson will be spent studying. Kinda lame, but what can you do.

I visit pretty often, because my wife's family lives in San Antonio.

I love the city, hate the people living in it (ie. jogging hippies and UT meatheads)

ATRAIN
05-01-2009, 07:47 AM
I live there, if you have any questions or anything let me know.

SpursStalker
05-01-2009, 07:55 AM
I live there, if you have any questions or anything let me know.

I have questions ...

:D

ChumpDumper
05-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Good luck with the test.

Austin's pretty nice if you avoid the jerks like me who live here.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-01-2009, 10:07 AM
when i drive down to san antonio i can't through austin quick enough. austin has to be home of some of the most stupidest drivers alive.

ATRAIN
05-01-2009, 10:09 AM
when i drive down to san antonio i can't through austin quick enough. austin has to be home of some of the most stupidest drivers alive.

FUCK NO Dallas has the worst alive.

ATRAIN
05-01-2009, 10:11 AM
I have questions ...

The Answer is Cool River

Viva Las Espuelas
05-01-2009, 10:11 AM
FUCK NO Dallas has the worst in Texas.no . people in dallas know where the gas pedal is. if you can't drive in dallas then stay off the road. austin has the stupidest drivers. san antonio has the slowest drivers.

ATRAIN
05-01-2009, 10:14 AM
no . people in dallas know where the gas pedal is. if you can't drive in dallas then stay off the road. austin has the stupidest drivers. san antonio has the slowest drivers.

I can drive in Dallas but everytime I have been there I see some crazy ass shit. Its worse than driving on International in Brownsville. I have to say though when it rains Austin has the stupidest drivers.

leemajors
05-01-2009, 10:17 AM
The Answer is Cool River

Coug River on Thursdays

Kermit
05-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Austin's bad drivers are probably a result of the horrific city planning when it comes to roads and highways. The entrance ramps on I-35 in the middle of town come to mind.

mrsmaalox
I can drive in Dallas but everytime I have been there I see some crazy ass shit. Its worse than driving on International in Brownsville. I have to say though when it rains Austin has the stupidest drivers.

:tu on crazy things to witness while on the road in Dallas; but I have only been there once.
Driving in SA wouldn't be bad if there were appropriate roads.

ATRAIN
Coug River on Thursdays

LOL yup

ATRAIN
05-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Austin's bad drivers are probably a result of the horrific city planning when it comes to roads and highways. The entrance ramps on I-35 in the middle of town come to mind.

Yeah 35 Sucks but I wouldnt even consider that Austin Drivers. Everyone that lives in Austin knows to avoid I35 at all possible costs.

DisAsTerBot
05-01-2009, 10:24 AM
i live in austin..........the traffic is bad but most of us know alternate routes....other than that, best city in texas!

ATRAIN
05-01-2009, 10:25 AM
i live in austin..........the traffic is bad but most of us know alternate routes....other than that, best city in texas!

:toast

Kermit
05-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah 35 Sucks but I wouldnt even consider that Austin Drivers. Everyone that lives in Austin knows to avoid I35 at all possible costs.

But that's the part non-Austin people take. That's their introduction into Austin driving. That's where they get the opinion that Austin drivers suck. And they do suck for the most part.

mrsmaalox
05-01-2009, 10:26 AM

Same deal in SA. Not enough entrance/exit ramps, and really bad drainage. I've never had to drive thru rivers of water flowing across the freeway any place I've lived but here.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-01-2009, 10:50 AM
I've never had to drive thru rivers of water flowing across the freeway any place I've lived but here.we like to make most of the inhabitants feel like they never left home. :wakeup

leemajors
05-01-2009, 10:53 AM

indeed. it sucks how all the empty spaces are being filled in on mopac now too. it's getting pretty damn crowded here these days.

Dr. Gonzo
05-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Austin sucks

starboy
05-01-2009, 10:58 AM

:toast

Best in fuckin' Texas!

LnGrrrR
05-01-2009, 11:05 AM
no . people in dallas know where the gas pedal is. if you can't drive in dallas then stay off the road. austin has the stupidest drivers. san antonio has the slowest drivers.

San Antonio does have some slow ass drivers :lol

SpursStalker
05-01-2009, 12:33 PM
The Answer is Cool River

Wrrrrrrrrrrong!!

Patrick Davis
05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Sorry, Austin has reached capacity. Please try again later.

Destro
05-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Please don't move here

tlongII
05-01-2009, 02:26 PM
My understanding is that Austin is a mecca for liberals. Kinda like here...

Xylus
05-01-2009, 02:32 PM
My understanding is that Austin is a mecca for liberals. Kinda like here...

It's a college town, and that's fine by me. I'm a socially liberal 23-year-old, so it's a good atmosphere for me.

Mark in Austin
05-01-2009, 02:40 PM
do you know what part of town you're going to be living in?

ATRAIN
05-01-2009, 02:45 PM

Xylus move to the eastside, thats the good side of town

Fermixalot
05-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Xylus move to the eastside, thats the good side of town

:lol

Its a good town, but do avoid 35 at all costs.

Xylus
05-01-2009, 03:15 PM

I'm living along the 183, near the intersection of the 183 and the 1 (Mopac). My job requires me to drive all over the city, so I'll be using every major road and highway in the Austin/Round Rock area. Last year, I lived in Cedar Park near Lakeline Mall, and that was a beautiful area.

ashbeeigh
05-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Gah. Austin traffic succcks. I drove up once for a job interview during rush hour (only time they could see me) and it took me like three hours to get to Austin and 3 to get back. The drive to Houston was better then the drive to Austin.

Xylus
05-01-2009, 03:59 PM
I lived in Phoenix for 18 years, and Austin traffic is nothing compared to that.

leemajors
05-01-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm living along the 183, near the intersection of the 183 and the 1 (Mopac). My job requires me to drive all over the city, so I'll be using every major road and highway in the Austin/Round Rock area. Last year, I lived in Cedar Park near Lakeline Mall, and that was a beautiful area.

i live right by 183 and burnet.

atxrocker
05-01-2009, 04:03 PM
There is no other city in texas i would consider living in, not a one. I've grown to enjoy it quite well. PM me if you need any info or have questions.

IronMexican
05-01-2009, 04:06 PM
PM me if you have questions about Austin. I know everything about that place.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-01-2009, 04:31 PM
ok. people are saying to stay away from 35. what route should i take to avoid 35 when i drive back and forth to s.a. from dallas?

ChumpDumper
05-01-2009, 04:39 PM
ok. people are saying to stay away from 35. what route should i take to avoid 35 when i drive back and forth to s.a. from dallas?Take the 130 toll road. You'll miss everything from Georgetown to Ben White.

E20
05-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Good luck with the test.

Austin's pretty nice if you avoid the jerks like me who live here.

CD are you like your ST persona in real life? If you are then I'd be obliged to shake your hand.

ChumpDumper
05-01-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm even less interesting in real life.

Dex
05-01-2009, 04:45 PM
San Antonio native, Austin local here.

And I love it. San Antonio was great, but Austin is a much hipper city. I really enjoy the vibe of this town.

The traffic sucks sometimes, but once you learn your way around (and learn to avoid 35 and Mopac at the killer hours) then it's not so bad.

LnGrrrR
05-01-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm even less interesting in real life.

His whole house is painted gray. :D

J.T.
05-01-2009, 05:13 PM
So yeah when you get here and want to party, hit me up. I can tell you where to find some good bars that aren't located on that money trap known as 6th Street.

Xylus
05-01-2009, 05:15 PM
As far as traffic goes, I'll be using the 183 most of the time, which is probably the least congested of the major Austin freeways.

So yeah when you get here and want to party, hit me up. I can tell you where to find some good bars that aren't located on that money trap known as 6th Street.

Haha, that would come in handy. Going to 6th Street was fun and all, but not every week. I've got a girl who likes to go out often, so any suggestions for bars/restaurants/etc. are helpful.

J.T.
05-01-2009, 05:16 PM
And most of the bad part of Austin traffic is either construction or people stopping to rubberneck at a Toyota with a busted tail light that's pulled over in the breakdown lane with its flashers on. Because no one's ever seen that shit before, and that's definitely worth making thousands of drives sit in their cars for two hours while they drive down a five mile stretch of 35.

Xylus
05-01-2009, 05:19 PM
After enduring the clusterfuck that is Pittsburgh traffic for a few months, Austin really isn't that daunting.

Fuck Pittsburgh traffic.

Summers
05-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I have questions ...

His name is Leslie. He's a homeless transvestite who wanders around downtown in a pink teddy and stiletto heels and runs for mayor every four years.

Also, that smell is guano.

Jekka
05-01-2009, 05:31 PM
After enduring the clusterfuck that is Pittsburgh traffic for a few months, Austin really isn't that daunting.

Fuck Pittsburgh traffic.

I drove through downtown Pittsburgh during rush hour a few months ago on my way to DC ... I agree, it was hell. It doesn't help that the city was planned by fucking Picasso - the intersections there make no sense at all, and they're like <100 ft away from each other.

Austin is still pretty bad, though.

J.T.
05-01-2009, 05:57 PM
You'll also need to step up your game with regard to ignoring panhandlers. I usually put on shades, crank up the music and start air guitaring or drumming on the steering wheel. The only ones I give money to are the ones that clean my windshield.

If I'm holding and the coast is clear, it's always real fun to pack a bowl and blaze it right in front of them. But do so at your own risk. I've had too many close calls with the cops and smoking weed in my car that I don't do it that much anymore.

CubanMustGo
05-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Take the 130 toll road. You'll miss everything from Georgetown to Ben White.

From the south you will soon be able to take 45SE to 130 from just north of Buda. It's supposed to open next week. You avoid the stupid 35N-71E "interchange" (like most Austin highway intersections, you have to get off on access roads and drive for miles unless you're going the 'right' way).

Costs $6.xx each way with a TxTag/equivalent, 20-25% more if you don't have one. And takes you WAY outta the way but you do avoid all the traffic. There's a map here (http://www.texastollways.com/austintollroads/english/calculator.htm) but it doesn't show 45SE open yet.

Dex
05-01-2009, 11:38 PM
You'll probably breakdown and end up buying a TxTag for the toll roads anyways. Especially if you live in North Austin. I live off Parmer near the 620/45 interchange, so I found myself using them more often than I'd like, but they save time.

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2009, 03:20 AM
I'm going to end up moving there in a few years.

Ginobilly
05-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Isn't Austin considered "the San Francisco of Texas"?

Xylus
05-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Isn't Austin considered "the San Francisco of Texas"?

I love San Francisco, too. :toast

Xylus
05-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Leaving tonight for Austin. It's a 900-mile drive and I'm going to do it in one fell swoop.

Dex
05-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Watch out for them po'pos in the desert.

CubanMustGo
05-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Try to hit West Texas in daylight ... speed limit 80 on I-10 east of El Paso

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b9/Texas_80_mph_speed_limit_unveiling.JPG/800px-Texas_80_mph_speed_limit_unveiling.JPG

BlackSwordsMan
05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
great lets fuck

DPG21920
05-05-2009, 09:17 PM
You need to check out ACL. Line up is sick:

http://2009.aclfestival.com/

Summers
05-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Leaving tonight for Austin. It's a 900-mile drive and I'm going to do it in one fell swoop.

Did you make it?

Xylus
05-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Did you make it?

Yes, and I'm loving it. Austin is fucking sweet.

Summers
05-08-2009, 05:51 AM

Nice. Welcome back!

atxrocker
05-08-2009, 04:57 PM

i think you'll find yourself at home here. although, the recent humidity has been fucking killer.

Dex
05-08-2009, 05:49 PM
You're coming at a great time to hit any of the lakes, or try to make your way down the Greenbelt for some waterin' hole action.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you check out:

Mat's El Rancho - bad-ass Tex-Mex. Try the Mat's Dip.

Dan's and Fran's - awesome local burger chains. From what I understand, Dan and Fran used to be married and in business together, but divorced, and now run competing (but similar) burger stands. Both great for a classic burger.

Mellow Mushroom - hand-tossed pies off of Guadalupe. Fresh ingredients, good bar, and a pizza with bacon called the Mighty Meaty. Also a good area to walk around, being over by the campus.

Trudy's - more great Mexican fo0d, and killer (if not overrated) Mexican Martinis. They'll try to cut you off after 2, but I usually don't find that decision to be completely unreasonable.

Moo-Yah's - awesome mid-price burgers and fries.

Maria's Taco XPress - local staple, featured on Food Network for its mexican cuisine

The Oasis - More on the refined side, but beautiful establishment with a lakeside view from the patio, and was recently remodeled and revamped.

Carlos & Charlie's - like the Oasis, but more of a bar/party atmosphere as opposed to a dining experience.

Top Notch - the infamous drive-in from Dazed and Confused

The Alligator Grill - this place was used for Chotchkie's in Office Space. The food honestly wasn't to die for, so it's more for novelty sake than anything else.

redskinfan
05-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Austin is full of wannabes and has beens. Traffic sucks the people suck and the music sucks..

Dex
05-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Austin is full of wannabes and has beens. Traffic sucks the people suck and the music sucks..

Stereotyping by geographical location only proves how much of a jackass you can be, but thanks for contributing to the thread. :rolleyes

redskinfan
05-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Stereotyping by geographical location only proves how much of a jackass you can be, but thanks for contributing to the thread. :rolleyes

WTF?:hat