05-01-2009, 08:35 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_marvin_williams.jpg

Marvin Williams | F
Born: Jun 19, 1986
Height: 6-9 / 2,06
Weight: 240 lbs. / 108,9 kg.
College: North Carolina
Years Pro: 3

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marvin_williams/index.html)

RFA

Ditty
05-01-2009, 12:24 PM
damn hes restricted but i would do it

TimDunkem
05-01-2009, 01:49 PM
I can see the Hawks not keeping him actually. The Hawks have so many players who will need to get paid at some point or another, with Horford's contract coming into it's last half, Bibby re-signing (probably) and Johnson's contract being so large at this point it is best to assume someone would be the odd man out.
Namely him and Flip Murray. Who does Atlanta let go of, and who could the Spurs realistically get? (I'd rather we try to make a run at Marvin Williams of course)

Ditty
05-01-2009, 10:19 PM
aitn he a freea gent next year

exstatic
05-01-2009, 10:57 PM
aitn he a freea gent next year

doe syo ur ke ybo ard notw ork r ig ht?

Ditty
05-01-2009, 11:51 PM
doe syo ur ke ybo ard notw ork r ig ht?

its latin lol

MagnusKrauss
05-02-2009, 04:53 AM
I haven't watched any of the Hawks games. I looked at his stats, and notice that he does shoot the three-ball some. But, is that really the direction we want to go with our bigmen?

can anyone tell me if he prefers to shoot jumpshots more than getting to the rim? does he have a decent post game?

Chieflion
05-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Quite a productive player especially since he is not getting enough touches in Atlanta, with Bibby, Johnson and Smith getting more burn. An under the rader guy who can play.

angelbelow
05-03-2009, 04:08 AM
would love to see him here.

Libri
05-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Williams will be considered a restricted free agent because the Hawks have already submitted a qualifying offer or because they are expected to submit the offer?

angelbelow
05-05-2009, 12:34 AM
the more i think about it, the more i want this guy. i think he would be a great fit.

Ditty
05-05-2009, 12:38 AM
he's still young has alot of potential

from north carolina

why was everyone big on this kid on draft day anyways

he was just a good role player in north carolina

i guess they see potential then actual

buttsR4rebounding
05-08-2009, 03:11 AM
I haven't watched any of the Hawks games. I looked at his stats, and notice that he does shoot the three-ball some. But, is that really the direction we want to go with our bigmen?

can anyone tell me if he prefers to shoot jumpshots more than getting to the rim? does he have a decent post game?

He plays the 3, not the 4 or 5.

Mark in Austin
05-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I haven't seen enough Hawks games to know if he has the lateral quickness to be the defensive 3 the Spurs need - even if they figured out how to afford him. Any Hawks fans out there care to comment?

Biggems
05-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I would be pleased if we were able to pluck him away from the Hawks. I think he could learn a lot from Bruce about defending the perimeter in Bruce's retirement tour.

tav1
05-17-2009, 04:25 PM
The Hawks have made it know that they are scaling back on payroll and would be willing to part with Williams. Childress, of course, if also available because he burned his bridges in Atlanta. It goes without saying that both would be an upgrade at small forward.

Mel_13
05-17-2009, 04:31 PM
The Hawks have made it know that they are scaling back on payroll and would be willing to part with Williams. Childress, of course, if also available because he burned his bridges in Atlanta. It goes without saying that both would be an upgrade at small forward.

Part with them as in executing S&Ts or as in renouncing their rights?

Unless they have a big ticket FA target in mind, they have little to gain by renouncing.

Bruno
05-17-2009, 04:46 PM
The article talking about a Williams S&T:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/05/17/kings_hope_lottery_will_be_the_ticket/?page=2

Which direction for Hawks?

The Hawks have taken big steps the past two years, making it back to the playoffs for the first time since 1999 last year and advancing to the second round for the first time since 1997 this season. But will Atlanta take a big step back next season?

The Hawks have key free agents in point guard Mike Bibby, small forward Marvin Williams, and center Zaza Pachulia, as well as Solomon Jones, Mario West, and Thomas Gardner.

As of now, Atlanta has only $40.8 million in committed salary next season, but it remains to be seen whether the fiscally challenged ownership will do what it takes to bring back Bibby, Williams, and Pachulia, or bring in some notable free agents.

There have been rumors of Williams being dangled in a sign-and-trade for cash. Don't be surprised if talented yet unused guard Acie Law, the 11th overall pick in the 2007 draft, is moved, too.

For a franchise that seems to be going in the right direction and has the 19th overall pick this year, it would be a shame if the Hawks digress after taking such big strides of late.

"I love the guys. I love the coaching staff. I love the city," said Bibby, 31, who made $14.9 million this season. "So we'll see what happens."

benefactor
05-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Interesting. This is one of the few other directions I would take our MLE. Might not be a bad idea to throw the offer on the table as it seem Atlanta might be reluctant to match.

pad300
05-17-2009, 08:57 PM
The article talking about a Williams S&T:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/05/17/kings_hope_lottery_will_be_the_ticket/?page=2

Which direction for Hawks?
As of now, Atlanta has only $40.8 million in committed salary next season, but it remains to be seen whether the fiscally challenged ownership will do what it takes to bring back Bibby, Williams, and Pachulia, or bring in some notable free agents.

There have been rumors of Williams being dangled in a sign-and-trade for cash. Don't be surprised if talented yet unused guard Acie Law, the 11th overall pick in the 2007 draft, is moved, too.

This would be extremely huge for the Spurs, if their ownership group can afford it. A Williams S&T for cash would be a great opportunity. Assuming the Hawks want to add 1) as little payroll as possible, and 2) some experience (currently they are still very young), offering up the partial guarantees of either Oberto or Bowen (or both) plus Finley(the experience the Hawks would keep) plus 3 million in cash would be an excellent opportunity trade for SA. It would fill the starting SF hole in the roster, (although it would likely put a hole in the 2010 plan), without touching the MLE, leaving that for pursuit of a big man to put next to Duncan...

Spur-Addict
05-17-2009, 10:47 PM
This is the preferred route for acquiring a 3, but it's risky with him being a RFA. Versatile and he's a really good defender. Sign and trade? Definetly. Otherwise exercise extreme caution.

CGD
06-30-2009, 04:29 PM
I wanted to follow up on a good blog entry recently posted on 48minutesofhell.com which suggests that a player like MW could be a good "contingency plan" in the event the Spurs can't land a Sheed-type big.

The entry captured my attention simply because in the modern NBA it seems the 3/4 is increasingly replacing the "conventional" 4. MW is the prototypical 4 of the future if I even saw one.

Considering the recent movements the Spurs have made in the past 10 days, is it even possible that this guy could be target without giving up too much? Is it reasonable to think that the Hawks wouldn't match any offers?

timvp
06-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Considering the recent movements the Spurs have made in the past 10 days, is it even possible that this guy could be target without giving up too much? Is it reasonable to think that the Hawks wouldn't match any offers?They'd match an MLE offer. I have him on the unattainable list.

tav1
06-30-2009, 08:43 PM
They'd match an MLE offer. I have him on the unattainable list.

They haven't extended a qualifier yet. 2.5 hours to go...

montgod
06-30-2009, 10:55 PM

Really? Interesting...

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Really? Interesting...

Interesting, but Spurs need a big.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2009, 11:16 PM
Too bad that Splitter isn't available this summer. Then the Spurs could use their MLE to make a run at a young prototypical 3/4 in Williams, and then trade for a backup big like a Collison or a Foster.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Four of the Hawks’ top eight players become targets for the rest of the league Wednesday — the second after midnight.

Mike Bibby, Zaza Pachulia and Flip Murray are all unrestricted free agents. Marvin Williams is a restricted free agent.

link (http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/hawks/stories/2009/06/30/atlanta_hawks_free_agents.html)

I'm assuming the Hawks extended the qualifying offer. Of course, perhaps the reporter did too, though it sounds like his source is Sund.

EricB
06-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Too bad that Splitter isn't available this summer. Then the Spurs could use their MLE to make a run at a young prototypical 3/4 in Williams, and then trade for a backup big like a Collison or a Foster.

Yeah Splitter coming over would've added some fun dynamics.

timvp
07-01-2009, 01:01 AM

Looks like they gave it to him (http://twitter.com/atlanta_hawks/status/2409883790) earlier today. Hypothetically, if Williams were available, he'd make a pretty damn good fit. He's not as big as you'd like at power forward but he could play the position much like Rashard.

Alas, he's not really available. The Hawks can't afford to lose someone as talented as Williams and someone they've invested in for nothing.

Mr. Body
07-01-2009, 01:10 AM
He'd be an incredible steal and the sort of SF we've needed for ages. Fortunately we have RJ, but longterm it'd be... nice...

Spurs9
07-01-2009, 01:11 AM
As much as I would love to have him, I don't see any way of us landing him. One can dream though.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Even if they reach an impasse, he'll take the QO and they would certainly match any MLE level offer sheet.

timvp
07-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Even if they reach an impasse, he'll take the QO and they would certainly match any MLE level offer sheet.

My guess is that Williams won't sign a contract this summer, live off the QO for a year and then cash in next summer. He'll make a ton next summer as an unrestricted free agent.

Blackjack
07-01-2009, 01:20 AM
My guess is that Williams won't sign a contract this summer, live off the QO for a year and then cash in next summer. He'll make a ton next summer as an unrestricted free agent.

Agree.:tu

There's no market for him this year and when people inevitably strike-out on the top-tier free-agents next year, it's a good bet he'll get a pretty sweet deal by a team looking to save face or not come out empty-handed.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 01:21 AM

No doubt. He could be a decent consolation prize for a runner up in the great NO LIMIT NBA summer of 2010.

mikeb2016
07-04-2009, 10:47 AM

No doubt. He could be a decent consolation prize for a runner up in the great NO LIMIT NBA summer of 2010.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20090704_76ers__offer_to_Bibby_was_for_1_year.html

I was hoping to come onto this thread and explain why I thought the Hawks re-signing Bibby made Williams available to the Spurs for the full MLE, but timvp and Marcus Bryant have convinced me otherwise. It makes no sense for Marvin to take 6 mil a year for the next 3-5, when he can make 8-10 mil a year if he waits for 2010's Free Agent Bonanza Extravaganza.

He would be perfect, in my opinion, for the small ball 4 type that the NBA is turning towards, and that we have needed since 2006 when not having that guy to counteract Nowitzki proved to be our achilles heel. Williams may be unattainable, but still, if there is a chance, even a small one...

By the way, in case you want to get on board the "I know it's not going to happen, but I am still hoping for Marvin Williams in the silver and black" train that I have vested a full first class ticket on, keep in mind that a signing of Williams or any other 3/4 type still requires the signing of a bruiser for the nights against true NBA centers. If it's Williams, Marion (ugh), or guy in that mold, we need Rasho!

manu_maniac
07-24-2009, 12:12 PM
There hasn't been much discussion about picking up Marvin Williams, but I think that he'd be an awesome addition. The numbers would work if Atlanta did a S&T and we ship out Bonner & Finley.

He’s a jump shooting SF at 6′8″ with a 7′4″ wingspan but is still really quick and can offer some respectable D on the perimeter. He actual hits more long 2s than Richard Jefferson, and only Travis Outlaw shot better in this category (07-08 season stats).

The Hawks could use a 3 pt shooting big like Bonner, and right now it seems like they only have one SG, so I’m sure Finley could be useful.

K-State Spur
07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
There hasn't been much discussion about picking up Marvin Williams, but I think that he'd be an awesome addition. The numbers would work if Atlanta did a S&T and we ship out Bonner & Finley.

He’s a jump shooting SF at 6′8″ with a 7′4″ wingspan but is still really quick and can offer some respectable D on the perimeter. He actual hits more long 2s than Richard Jefferson, and only Travis Outlaw shot better in this category (07-08 season stats).

The Hawks could use a 3 pt shooting big like Bonner, and right now it seems like they only have one SG, so I’m sure Finley could be useful.

No reason Atlanta would do that. The only real value of Bonner + Finley comes from their expiring deals, and if Atlanta would have rather had the cap space than Marvin Williams...then they just wouldn't have tendered him.

manu_maniac
07-24-2009, 01:06 PM
I disagree. I already said that I think they could use Bonner's 3 point shooting, and if they don't want Finley, they can just waive him. So they still end up with a player on a smaller contract than what they would have if they simply resigned Williams because he would get bigger money.

K-State Spur
07-24-2009, 01:08 PM
I disagree. I already said that I think they could use Bonner's 3 point shooting, and if they don't want Finley, they can just waive him. So they still end up with a player on a smaller contract than what they would have if they simply resigned Williams because he would get bigger money.

because he's worth bigger money (a lot bigger).

nobody's going to trade for bonner because his production. his only open market value is that of his expiring deal.