05-01-2009, 08:38 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_leon_powe.jpg

Leon Powe | F
Born: 22 janv. 1984
Height: 6-8 / 2,03
Weight: 240 lbs. / 108,9 kg.
College: California
Years Pro: 2

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/leon_powe/index.html)

RFA

Libri
05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
torn ACL, out for 6 to 8 months

05-04-2009, 04:11 PM
powe is exactly who the spurs need. athletic, energetic, cleans up around the rim, good defense, a shotblocker, and can keep up with the quicker power forwards of the league. he has room for improvement as well and is developing a jumper. i doubt the celtics would let powe go but they will have to resign davis and maybe marbury all while over the luxury tax threshold. celtics will probably have to choose between powe and davis and powe's injury might be the tipping point. this injury heightens the risk of signing him but lowers the price enough to fit in the spurs' range.

05-04-2009, 04:16 PM
i should mention that he has torn his ACL before in college. might be a concern.

Mel_13
05-04-2009, 04:51 PM
i should mention that he has torn his ACL before in college. might be a concern.

What he has overcome in his life is inspiring, but this will be the 4th major surgery on his left knee. His character is off the charts, but that knee is a time bomb. Without this latest injury he was probably in line for a decent, below MLE contract.

2006 story here:

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/columns/michaeldugan/060223.htm

Ditty
05-04-2009, 04:53 PM
no

acl problems will get him in 4 or 5 years guarntted he'll be out of the legue

timvp
07-01-2009, 01:26 AM
The Celtics cleared a spot for Wallace by not extending a qualifying offer to power forward Leon Powe, who is coming off major knee surgery and became an unrestricted free agent. I'm not sure how the Spurs could pull it off but Powe looks like a good buy low right now.

HarlemHeat37
07-01-2009, 01:30 AM
We already have an undersized guy with knee problems in Blair..

kbrury
07-01-2009, 01:36 AM
who would you rather have Powe, Nesterovich or Oberto

toki9
07-01-2009, 02:38 AM
who would you rather have Powe, Nesterovich or Oberto

Obie.

VivaPopovich
07-01-2009, 02:38 AM
We already have an undersized guy with knee problems in Blair..

you can't say that, blair is a lot stronger than powe is, they dont have the same type of game and as far as blair's height goes

it looks like a significant difference on paper but when their actually out there the difference in height is minuscule. powe would be a decent pickup but i'm happy in the power we finally obtained in blair

EricB
07-01-2009, 02:43 AM
After you get your starting center signed, Powe would definately be great to sign with the LLE. He would be what you'd want Mahinmi to become.

Any idea how long he's out till?

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-01-2009, 03:41 AM
After you get your starting center signed, Powe would definately be great to sign with the LLE. He would be what you'd want Mahinmi to become.

From what I've read he won't be back until about a month into next season, which means he'd miss the training camp.

He's deffinitely a good player and some team might be willing to roll the dice on him with their LLE, but I doubt that team would be Spurs.It's difficult to predict whether anyone would be willing to commit money to a player who has just had a major knee surgery.

mystargtr34
07-01-2009, 06:08 AM

If we didnt draft Dejaun Blair, i would be all for that. I think with him and Mahinmi on the roster it makes it a questionable decision. Although, Powe is actually proven unlike those two, so i wouldnt mind it if the Spurs got him for the LLE for 2 years, shot knees and all.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure how the Spurs could pull it off but Powe looks like a good buy low right now.

Sign him using the LLE and let him spend all the time he needs to get healthy. Now if a healthy reserve big or swingman is available, you'd almost have to take them instead of Powe. But yeah, this seems like a nice opportunity...if the Spurs were willing to start the season with the frontcourt bench looking like: Bonner, Blair, and Mahinmi, with Gist available to back up the 4 and 3. Once Powe is ready to go, then you can look at moving Bonner before the trade deadline.

There's something about getting players who have Finals experience.

Gant
07-01-2009, 10:27 AM
From what I've read he won't be back until about a month into next season, which means he'd miss the training camp.

He's deffinitely a good player and some team might be willing to roll the dice on him with their LLE, but I doubt that team would be Spurs.It's difficult to predict whether anyone would be willing to commit money to a player who has just had a major knee surgery.

Unfortunately Leon won't be back until the allstar break. No one has more heart than this guy. I really hope he can overcome this latest setback.

Tully365
07-01-2009, 11:56 PM
If everyone's scared off by the knee surgery, and they probably will be, he'd be a very cheap one year deal. If the Spurs can't land one of the bigger FAs, they could go the low profile route by signing a lesser known like Shelden Williams or Channing Frye and then adding Powe. This would also give them at least one extra trade asset come early 2010.

Mugen
07-02-2009, 12:00 AM
the celts did Powe real dirty. not a classy move.