PDA

View Full Version : TP interview: "Bring some changes" April 29th

Brazil
05-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Tony, this time the playoffs are over following this new home loss…
Once again they’ve shot with great percentage. They’ve hit from the start of the game and were down by 16 in the first quarter. We fought to comeback within 4 at the half but it was not enough. We fought throughout the second half but this is the story of this series. They were much better than us; they’ve simply played better basketball.

For the first time in your career, the playoffs are over in the first round. How do you live through this loss ?
We are, of course, disappointed but I am not irked. Dallas was better and we must come to accept the loss, their win is logical. Now I hope that San Antonio will do a good job this summer to reinforce the team. This loss could be good in the long run for us. The Spurs wanted to continue with this team until 2010 but in order to compete at the top next season we will have to bring some changes.

Let’s not forget that you were without Manu Ginobili…
With Manu (Ginobili) for next season and by doing some good personnel choices we can rapidly comeback to the top of the game. I remain highly confident for years to come.

Globally what do you think of this season ?
I think I’ve reach another level. With Manu’s injury and Tim Duncan’s small ailment I had to raise my level of play. I am satisfied with what I did but as usual I do not wish to stop here. I still want to go higher and my goal is to improve each year in order to become the best possible basketball player. I do not give myself any limit.

It is not often that you are on holiday for a bit more than two months.
This loss is beneficial for the French national team. I will arrive there in mid-July fresh and well rested. Before then I will totally block basketball and empty my head to think of a lot of other things than basketball.

Brazil
05-01-2009, 09:03 AM
It is not often that you are on holiday for a bit more than two months.
This loss is beneficial for the French national team. I will arrive there in mid-July fresh and well rested. Before then I will totally block basketball and empty my head to think of a lot of other things than basketball.

:stirpot:

Rogue
05-01-2009, 09:05 AM
In Tony Longoria we believe.

hater
05-01-2009, 09:16 AM
If the Spurs office is serious at least either Manu or Tony have to be traded. If not both.

If they keep them both, it's gonna be the same shit.

TheProfessor
05-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Gotta love Tony, he never BS'es.

SanAntonioSpurs23
05-01-2009, 09:32 AM
If the Spurs office is serious at least either Manu or Tony have to be traded. If not both.

You are kidding right? :wow

Marcus Bryant
05-01-2009, 09:38 AM
The Spurs wanted to continue with this team until 2010 but in order to compete at the top next season we will have to bring some changes.

A revealing quote, even if we hadn't deduced that fact already.

completely deck
05-01-2009, 09:53 AM

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4830/emotughh.gif

Brazil
05-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Before then I will totally block basketball and empty my head to think of a lot of other things than basketball.

Eva be prepared the guy is full of energy !

GOSPURS733
05-01-2009, 10:30 AM

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:l ol

EricB
05-01-2009, 12:56 PM
A revealing quote, even if we hadn't deduced that fact already.

So does this mean the 2010 plan has been scrapped?

Fermixalot
05-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Tony raised his game to MVP-level this year and I can't wait to see what he brings out next year with a healthy team. If we can get a decent front court helper (Mahimni, free agent) and some athletic wings (Gist, Hariston or someone else) along with a healthy big three, we'll be right back in the thick of things.

Mel_13
05-01-2009, 01:09 PM

Don't know why some are hating the hater. He is just speaking the truth. The automatic increases in the Big 3 salaries and a stagnant or declining lux tax limit will make significant improvement damn near impossible.

There are only two ways a major impact player can be brought in:

1. Trade one of the Big 3

2. Spend well above the tax limit

If they just try to shuffle the pieces that make up the current supporting cast for different players, next year will look a lot like this year.

lefty
05-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Unbelievable

Unbelievable

45 bank shot
05-01-2009, 01:42 PM
So does this mean the 2010 plan has been scrapped?

i'd rather say not. they still wanna play with THIS team and just make some changes

byrdman31
05-01-2009, 02:08 PM
that doesnt sound like tony to me...

phxspurfan
05-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Tank 2009-2010? What does next year's draft look like?

Mel_13
05-01-2009, 02:11 PM
that doesnt sound like tony to me...

I can't find a link, but he said almost the same thing before the season.

Something thing "we're going to try one more time with this group"

kace
05-01-2009, 02:38 PM
interview already posted by Bruno:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124731

rayray2k8
05-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Don't know why, but this pic gives me a lot of hope.
Good stuff! :hat
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/fermania_bucket/manu-ian.jpg

DPG21920
05-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Everyone knows this team needs some changes. This interview entailed the exact same thing TP said BEFORE the season even started.

Most of us are fairly certain what he means is that the guys who you have seen around for a long time outside of the big 3 are going to be gone within the next year or two (Oberto, Bruce, Fin,...). The big 3 is going to be intact unless Ginobili gets hurt again, but the role players will change and be upgraded.

The 2010 plan was to do this, and if the Spurs have an opportunity to improve before 2010 with essentially the same guidelines, then they will do it.

Duncan2177
05-01-2009, 02:52 PM

Manu would be traded before Tony,What the spurs need to do is add better role players around the big 3.

modtxspur
05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
The only spurs who should not be on the chopping block are: Duncan, Parker, Manu, Mason, and Hill. Trading Parker is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. If we didn't have Parker every game against the mavs would have looked like that 58 point loss the hornet took on the chin. Mason didn't show up during the playoffs but has to much potential to lose, as does hill

1usamotorsports.com
05-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Bonner , finnly, bowen , vaugn , oberto gotta go.

Marcus Bryant
05-01-2009, 03:54 PM
I think Parker is going to have some influence in the FO's decisions moving forward. He only has two years left on his deal and he was the team's leading scorer during this season and he ramped that up in the postseason. So much of the team's offensive production rests on Parker's shoulders. With Duncan and Ginobili both dealing with significant health issues, Parker's all the more valuable to the franchise. In addition, his game fits with how the game is trending. We've seen Duncan influence personnel decisions in the past. Parker is now going to have some say.

tp2021
05-01-2009, 03:59 PM
I think Parker is going to have some influence in the FO's decisions moving forward. He only has two years left on his deal and he was the team's leading scorer during this season and he ramped that up in the postseason. So much of the team's offensive production rests on Parker's shoulders. With Duncan and Ginobili both dealing with significant health issues, Parker's all the more valuable to the franchise. In addition, his game fits with how the game is trending. We've seen Duncan influence personnel decisions in the past. Parker is now going to have some say.

It will be interesting to see if he's in the draft room again...

benefactor
05-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Tony pulling the Lebron James card?

Spursfan092120
05-01-2009, 04:12 PM

http://www.mebefunny.com/pictures/u031809/Hump-Fail.jpg

Marcus Bryant
05-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Tony pulling the Lebron James card?

Well, he will have his opinions listened to. Plus he has Pop's trust. Pop was the one who went to bat for him with Holt when Parker's extension was being negotiated, going so far as to call Holt out publicly.

sonic21
05-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Well, he will have his opinions listened to. Plus he has Pop's trust. Pop was the one who went to bat for him with Holt when Parker's extension was being negotiated, going so far as to call Holt out publicly.

i didn't know that, i thought it was duncan who went to talk to holt

ducks
05-01-2009, 04:49 PM

tp is the man

ducks
05-01-2009, 04:50 PM
It will be interesting to see if he's in the draft room again...

he will be
if he is not in france playing

Marcus Bryant
05-01-2009, 05:05 PM

Pop went public. I need to find the quote but Pop basically said that he was surprised it seemed like it wasn't going to get done. In the context, it definitely looked like he was chiding Holt.

EricB
05-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Its bordering on being Tony's team as it is.

I think if Tony went to management or Pop and said "scrap the dumbass 2010 plan and lets go balls out" it might get done.

Bruno
05-01-2009, 05:47 PM
TP said two days ago in French newspaper that, even if he wasn't the one to made choices for Spurs' future player, the staff always called Tim and him to ask their advice on the possible additions.

HarlemHeat37
05-01-2009, 06:59 PM
TP said two days ago in French newspaper that, even if he wasn't the one to made choices for Spurs' future player, the staff always called Tim and him to ask their advice on the possible additions.

That seems logical, and it's what usually happens when it comes to successful franchises and their franchise players..

duncan228
05-01-2009, 07:02 PM
I remember Duncan after game 7 in '05, when a reporter said "You're not the GM..." Duncan laughed and said "Not officially."

He may not have any 'official' say, but his opinion matters.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-01-2009, 08:39 PM
:tu hyeah

sexinthatsx
05-04-2009, 01:41 AM
The only spurs who should not be on the chopping block are: Duncan, Parker, Manu, Mason, and Hill. Trading Parker is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. If we didn't have Parker every game against the mavs would have looked like that 58 point loss the hornet took on the chin. Mason didn't show up during the playoffs but has to much potential to lose, as does hill

You're pretty much listed either one of the spurs best players in duncan, parker, manu, and mason. In order to get a good player, we have to give a player who is valuable. You give what you get; at the end of the day nobody's going to trade an all-star for oberto, JV, finley, and udoka. The spurs did what they do best, and that's finding diamond in the roughs. As much as I love mason and ginobili, I am willing to trade them for another all-star who can help in return.

Danny.Zhu
05-04-2009, 02:19 AM
We certainly need some changes. The other teams have been too familiar with our players, tactics and strategies over the long years.

Kori Ellis
05-04-2009, 02:56 AM

That's logical. They are the captains and their input matters. When it comes down to it, the Spurs make player personnel decisions as a group. Between the scouts, RC, Pop, and a little input from the current players, they figure out what to do.

And as we know from the Josh Howard non-draft, sometime RC and the other coaches/staff go against what Pop (and even Duncan) wants.

Leetonidas
05-04-2009, 03:39 AM

facepalm.gif

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-04-2009, 09:45 AM
The Spurs wanted to continue with this team until 2010 but in order to compete at the top next season we will have to bring some changes.

Tacit confirmation of the 2010 plan...

SenorSpur
05-04-2009, 06:16 PM

I sure as hell hope so. I can't help but notice the continued "veiled" comments by Tony, that have been posted. Comments where he directly references the need for "upcoming changes", or where he comments about the "team's age", or their "lack of weapons". While I know he's got faith in Pop and should be consulted, I'm sure he's been a bit frustrated with having the carry the full load. I fully expect there to be changes in the supporting cast.

Watching the rest of the playoffs makes it clearer that the Spurs simply do not have enough talent or skills to support the Big Three. Especially when looking at the bench talent on some other playoff teams.

NewJerSpur
05-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Hopefully the draft and D-League primarily help accomplish this goal with the Big 3 staying in tact (and healthy) and bring in youth; both should be cheaper than wholesale changes via Free Agency.

Sean Cagney
05-04-2009, 10:36 PM

WTF? Manu was out most of the year, with him in they were 32-12. They need to keep the big three, it's around them where they need help or it will be more of the same.

Ice009
05-04-2009, 10:58 PM
That's logical. They are the captains and their input matters. When it comes down to it, the Spurs make player personnel decisions as a group. Between the scouts, RC, Pop, and a little input from the current players, they figure out what to do.

And as we know from the Josh Howard non-draft, sometime RC and the other coaches/staff go against what Pop (and even Duncan) wants.

Are you saying that if Pop and TD both wanted Howard they could be over ruled by the rest of the staff?

If so that is ridiculous.

ducks
05-04-2009, 11:16 PM
rc won that agruement
not sure rc would win now though!