PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Miller vs Ray Allen

Tacker
05-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Both great clutch players, both great shooters, both great players, both allstars. The question is who is more clutch, who is better?

Reggie Miller Career Stats:- 19ppg 3.2apg 3rbpg
Ray Allen Career Stats:- 20.9 ppg 3.8spg 4.2rbpg

redzero
05-01-2009, 10:26 AM
210 points per game? Ray Allen without a doubt.

lefty
05-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Miller is a fucking playoff legend

Reggiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-01-2009, 10:34 AM
That's a really tough call. When it's all said and done Ray Ray will probably be considered better.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Better? Probably Ray Allen. But Miller will be remembered as more clutch.

pauls931
05-01-2009, 10:38 AM
I watched more reggie miller than allen. Reggie would push off like a mofo to get freed up, I think Allen plays cleaner.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I watched more reggie miller than allen. Reggie would push off like a mofo to get freed up, I think Allen plays cleaner.

Lol Allen plays cleaner cause his teammates that set picks play dirtier.

endrity
05-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Ray will be remembered as the better player. Miller's clutchness is at time exagerated because he did it against the Knicks in MSG and against the Bulls. But Ray is just as cold blooded, and he has been even with the Sonics and the Bucks. And now he has a ring, something Miller never won. So Ray will be remembered as better. Plus I think Ray is much better defensively as well.

pauls931
05-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Lol Allen plays cleaner cause his teammates that set picks play dirtier.

I thought the NBA allows 2 steps when setting a screen? :p:

z0sa
05-01-2009, 10:55 AM
ray allen definitely

miller will go down as just another great shooter, I don't see how you can call him extremely clutch when he has 0 rings. Does that mean he never hit a clutch shot? Of course not.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-01-2009, 10:58 AM
I thought the NBA allows 2 steps when setting a screen? :p:

Every few years the NBA picks a new Eastern team that's allowed to do what you just said. From 2004-2007 Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace and Antonio McDyess were allowed to do basically whatever they wanted on those Rip Hamilton curl around screens. The last two years KG, Perkins, Powe and Fat Baby have been able to do whatever they want on Ray Allen screens. Once Cleveland gets a shooting guard who plays like Rip and Allen, my guess is the NBA anoints them as the new Eastern team allowed to set illegal screens.

stretch
05-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Ray will be remembered as the better player. Miller's clutchness is at time exagerated because he did it against the Knicks in MSG and against the Bulls. But Ray is just as cold blooded, and he has been even with the Sonics and the Bucks. And now he has a ring, something Miller never won. So Ray will be remembered as better. Plus I think Ray is much better defensively as well.

:tu on the exaggerated part. He was damn clutch, but as you say, Ray is just as cold blooded.

Also, with the exception of last year and this year, Ray has pretty consistently played on crappy to average teams, while Reggie was consistently on solid teams.

Give me Ray.

Spursfan092120
05-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Reggie is twice as clutch as Ray. Ray is a better player, but if you're asking clutchwise, it's not even close..dude was a monster. If you're Boston, the ball goes to Pierce or KG for the final shot 9 times out of 10. If the Pacers were down to one shot, EVERYONE knew who the ball was going to..and he still hit it.

pauls931
05-01-2009, 12:08 PM
One setback Reggie had to deal with was he had more overlap with MJ than Ray.

Think how many teams MJ shit on during their peaks, Phoenix, Portland, Utah, countless teams in the east. (Houston got lucky sneaking in the window he was out playing baseball)

sonic21
05-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Reggie has done more than allen as a 1st option

dirk4mvp
05-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Ray Allen.

Miller only averaged 19 in his career? I thought it would've been more.

I would also rather hear Ray Allen do commentary during a game.

coldsweat
05-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Reggie is twice as clutch as Ray. Ray is a better player, but if you're asking clutchwise, it's not even close..dude was a monster. If you're Boston, the ball goes to Pierce or KG for the final shot 9 times out of 10. If the Pacers were down to one shot, EVERYONE knew who the ball was going to..and he still hit it.

i'd love to see stats on how many gamewinning 3s these two players have hit, but my suspicion is that it would be relatively even. so many of the highlights from boston this and last season involved allen hitting a gamewinning 3. but this will only remain a suspicion until i can find the stats.

Cry Havoc
05-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Pardon me if I don't remember perfectly, but wasn't Reggie able to create his own shot? I realize he was primarily a set shooter, but if I'm not mistaken he had better handles than Ray Ray.

redzero
05-01-2009, 12:38 PM

You would rather listen to somebody who chews gum all the time?

JamStone
05-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Both great clutch players, both great shooters, both great players, both allstars. The question is who is more clutch, who is better?

Reggie Miller Career Stats:- 19ppg 3.2apg 3rbpg
Ray Allen Career Stats:- 20.9 ppg 3.8spg 4.2rbpg

Their respective career stats have nothing to do with how clutch either player is. You could argue Robert Horry was more clutch than either but his career stats aren't very impressive, 7 ppg, 4.8 rpg.

Reggie and Ray are probably the two best three point shooters of all time. Both ice cold. Both fearless in clutch situations. It's a close call. I'd still go with Reggie though. His clutch moments were epic. Against the Knicks, who were a great defensive team, and in MSG no less. Did Ray even have a clutch shot in last year's Finals? He may have, but I honestly don't remember it if he did. Reggie's clutch moments have been more memorable and against better teams

baseline bum
05-01-2009, 01:05 PM
ray allen definitely

miller will go down as just another great shooter, I don't see how you can call him extremely clutch when he has 0 rings. Does that mean he never hit a clutch shot? Of course not.

Which is how many rings Ray Allen would have if his teammates were Rick Smits and Derrick McKey instead of Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.

baseline bum
05-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Their respective career stats have nothing to do with how clutch either player is. You could argue Robert Horry was more clutch than either but his career stats aren't very impressive, 7 ppg, 4.8 rpg.

Reggie and Ray are probably the two best three point shooters of all time. Both ice cold. Both fearless in clutch situations. It's a close call. I'd still go with Reggie though. His clutch moments were epic. Against the Knicks, who were a great defensive team, and in MSG no less. Did Ray even have a clutch shot in last year's Finals? He may have, but I honestly don't remember it if he did. Reggie's clutch moments have been more memorable and against better teams

The layup that closed game 4 and sent Vujacic into a crying fit.

JamStone
05-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks. Like I said, I honestly don't even remember Ray Allen in the Finals last year.

And, is that lay-up the type of shot you would remember when thinking about great clutch shots in the history of the game? Maybe for the reaction by Vujacic. But the actual shot?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-01-2009, 01:34 PM

The ball would not go to KG for a game winning shot, no chance in hell. KG's choke jobs are extremely underrated.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-01-2009, 01:35 PM
And, is that lay-up the type of shot you would remember when thinking about great clutch shots in the history of the game? Maybe for the reaction by Vujacic. But the actual shot?

I agree here. That shot won't be remembered as great offense, it will be remembered for bad defense.

z0sa
05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Which is how many rings Ray Allen would have if his teammates were Rick Smits and Derrick McKey instead of Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.

You forget about 04? And if not for the retarded ass brawl and Artest just generally being a moron, Pacers were probably favorites in the East in 05 as well.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Ray Allen.

Miller only averaged 19 in his career? I thought it would've been more.

Reggie's scoring average came down a bit with his later seasons where more of the scoring load was dealt to guys like O'Neal and Artest. That's sort of the stage the Allen is entering into now.

But I do agree about the commentary. I'd rather listen to Gilbert Gotfried give play by play on his prostate exam than listen to Reggie talk during a game.

JamStone
05-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah, Reggie played until he was like 45. His career stats took a dip because of that.

baseline bum
05-01-2009, 02:43 PM
You forget about 04? And if not for the retarded ass brawl and Artest just generally being a moron, Pacers were probably favorites in the East in 05 as well.

Did you watch the 04 ECF and how worthless Artest was? As for O'Neal, his 04 season is maybe the most overrated year by a player in NBA history. How do you get 3rd in MVP voting as a bigman shooting an Olowokandi-esque 43%? Aside from that, he was awful in that series as well. Smits/McKey was better than those clowns.

Caltex2
05-01-2009, 02:47 PM
One setback Reggie had to deal with was he had more overlap with MJ than Ray.

Think how many teams MJ shit on during their peaks, Phoenix, Portland, Utah, countless teams in the east. (Houston got lucky sneaking in the window he was out playing baseball)

To go along with being lucky the Suns coughed up TWO easily winable series against us. You know you'd claim 'em if you guys had prevailed.

poop
05-01-2009, 02:59 PM
in THIS series Gay Allen has been Miller-esque, no doubt about it.

reggie's PLAYOFF career pgg was like 24-25ppg

also reggie was never on a team as good as Gay's celtics, and he never had even close to as good a supporting cast. and he NEVER disappeared or had poor series. in this year's 1st round Gay has been = miller. BUT, this is how miller would play consistently in EVERY series.

so overall id say Reggie > Allen

Bob Lanier
05-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Pardon me if I don't remember perfectly, but wasn't Reggie able to create his own shot? I realize he was primarily a set shooter, but if I'm not mistaken he had better handles than Ray Ray.
Exactly the opposite, as the difference in their assist numbers indicates.

Allen was a much better penetrating guard than Miller was.