PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James Driven To Win It All

duncan228
05-01-2009, 12:07 PM
LeBron James driven to win it all (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txcavalierslebroninove&prov=st&type=lgns)
Tom Withers

Nobody will be there, Cavaliers coach Mike Brown thought as he left the house early one morning last May.

It was a few days after Cleveland’s disappointing season ended with a bitter Game 7 loss on Boston’s famed parquet floor and it was down time. The Cavs had dispersed to Cancun, the French Riviera and other vacation spots for rejuvenation and reflection.

Brown was headed to the team’s plush training compound with his son, Elijah. Time for some father-son bonding with nobody around but security guards.

But as the Browns walked in the door, the lights were on in the gym. And as they neared the courts, they heard the thump, thump, thump of a basketball kissing hardwood.

One Cavalier stayed home.

LeBron James was already back at work.

A life lesson diagrammed like an inbounds play in front of him, Brown turned to his impressionable boy.

“I said, ‘See, LeBron doesn’t just show up at the games with his Superman outfit on,”’ Brown recalled. “He works harder than anyone. That’s why he’s LeBron.”

And since that spring day, James, the NBA’s most unstoppable force, hasn’t ceased working.

The likely MVP is beyond driven, more like obsessed.

“I have never seen LeBron more focused and more determined,” said Maverick Carter, James’ business partner and lifelong friend.

Motivated to win his first title and deliver one to a sports-obsessed region - his home - that has waited 45 years to sip championship champagne in any major sport, the 24-year-old superstar has the Cavaliers on the cusp of greatness.

This could be his year. Their year. Cleveland’s year.

“The goal since day one has been a championship,” James said. “Nothing less.”

And if his play in Cleveland’s first-round playoff obliteration of Detroit is any indication - he almost averaged a triple-double in the four-game sweep - James will settle for nothing less than winning everything.

Get out of his way.

——=

Head down, eyes trained on his Nikes, James stormed off the court in Boston last year. No congratulatory handshakes or good-luck hugs. No words.

He was disgusted. Never again, James promised himself.

His 45-point performance in Game 7, overshadowed by Paul Pierce’s 41 in the Celtics’ triumph, wasn’t enough to get the Cavaliers back to the finals. The team had underachieved and never gelled following general manager Danny Ferry’s massive roster overhaul at the trading deadline.

James needed help, and at the postgame news conference he indirectly ordered Ferry to get him some.

“We need to continue to get better,” James said as Ferry stood in the back of the room. “If that means some personnel changes that need to happen, then so be it.”

James then set out to change himself.

He took two days off and then was right back at Cleveland’s opulent, 50,000-square foot facility, located a short drive from James’ almost-as-big mansion. The Beijing Olympics were looming, and if a championship ring wasn’t in his cards, well, he was getting that gold medal.

Cavaliers assistant coach Chris Jent remembers a more determined look in James’ eyes during those pre-Summer Games workouts.

“He was so locked in,” Jent said. “His concentration was different than anything I had ever seen before. He was just, I don’t know, different.”

For the first time in his career, James got serious about weightlifting and developed a program he has stuck to this season. He lifts for up to 30 minutes before each game and has added at least 10 pounds of muscle. He also added yoga to his routine.

With Jent’s help, James began reconstructing his jumper. He spent five days a week, two hours per session, refining his outside shot, still the weakest area of his immaculate game. James finished the regular season shooting a career-high 49 percent.

Like Tiger Woods teeing off balls for hours on the driving range, James took thousands of shots in practice.

Fans “just see the fantastic plays and his God-given ability,” Jent said. “They don’t understand that there were kinks in the armor and he wanted to figure them out. He wanted to straighten them out and he wanted to be better and the only way to do it is by working.

“When things are going good he works, and when things are bad, he works harder.”

James doesn’t slack - ever. Two summers ago, Jent accompanied the All-Star to New York for the week leading up to him hosting “Saturday Night Live.” If James wasn’t practicing his lines or rehearsing a skit, he was on a midtown Manhattan court making himself better.

“When you go on the road with him and you say, ‘O.K. let’s work out at 9 a.m.,’ he’s in the lobby at 8:50,” Jent said. “There is never an issue. There is never a day when we walk in the gym that you’re not going to get the same effort out of the man. He cuts no corners. There is no discussion with what we’re going, we’re doing it. There’s no bull with ‘Bron.”

—-=

Mo Williams had his doubts.

Acquired in a trade last summer from Milwaukee, the point guard who has become James’ long-sought sidekick, didn’t know Cleveland’s star very well before joining the Cavs. As an outsider, he appreciated James’ awesome talents but wondered if there was substance behind the style.

He knows now.

“It surprised me,” Williams said. “I knew he was good, but you always want to get around somebody who is great and see how they go about their business. I know how hard I work. His drive and work ethic are off the charts.”

James has made his greatest strides on defense. Often guarding the other team’s best player - something he rarely did in past years - he has become a ferocious stopper. His chase-down blocks now rival his dunks for air time on TV highlights, and he finished second to Orlando’s Dwight Howard for defensive player of the year.

He improved his defense by making it a priority.

Ben Wallace, who came to Cleveland in a trade last season and was on the floor for those excruciating final seconds of last season, understood James’ pain then and his desire never to feel it again.

“You can’t appreciate winning a championship until you get your heart broken a couple times,” Wallace said. “That’s happened to him. He’s got a gold medal, and now he wants to win a championship. You can tell. You can see it in everything he does and the way he’s picking up the rest of his team and carrying us along with him.”

James’ passion to play has rubbed off on all the Cavaliers.

After practice, this tight-knit team of gym rats practices some more.

“We enjoy each other’s company and it shows,” James said. “Nobody wants to go home.”

Once Brown is done with them, the Cavs often hang out and play shooting games, try to one-up each other with trick shots and horse around like a bunch of teenagers crashing a parent-less house after school.

Their ringleader and head clown, the one usually with his shirt off doubling over in laughter, is also their best player. He’s also the one recently forced to do push-ups after badly losing a 3-point contest.

“I hate to lose in anything,” James said. “I invented that game and I’ve lost one time - I was upset about it.”

Recently named coach of the year, Brown feels blessed to coach the self-motivated James, whose selflessness has inspired teammates, coaches, front office personnel - everyone around him - to do more.

“He sets the tone for the culture here,” Brown said. “I could preach all day, ‘Hey, get 1,000 extra shots and stay late and do this and that. Guys aren’t going to do it unless it’s required or they’re faced with fines. We don’t have anything like that here.

“Because with a guy like LeBron, everybody follows.”

it's me
05-01-2009, 12:12 PM
dude is WALKING to the rim .....ups ... my bad to the ring.

JamStone
05-01-2009, 12:25 PM
That should be a relief for Cavs fans. They thought he was just driven to win a first round playoff series. I hate it when superstar players are only driven to win the first round but aren't driven to win it all.

Spursfan092120
05-01-2009, 12:26 PM
LOL..only thing that would make this better is if the article said...Lebron James Walking To Win It All...

Allanon
05-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Gotta give LeBron props for working hard. He has certainly improved his outside shot, it caught me by surprise at times.

But unfortunately, he's like Barkley, just born at the wrong time. Kobe's primed for a 4-5 year run, barring any major injuries. That ring's going to be elusive for some years to come.

xtremesteven33
05-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Gotta give LeBron props for working hard. He has certainly improved his outside shot, it caught me by surprise at times.

But unfortunately, he's like Barkley, just born at the wrong time. Kobe's primed for a 4-5 year run, barring any major injuries. That ring's going to be elusive for some years to come.

HCA might hinder the Lakers from winning the Finals this year from the Cavaliers....

Cavaliers also have to get bigger in thier starting lineup to combat the Lakers...I would consider starting Pavlovic instead of West just to combat the Lakers size....

Allanon
05-01-2009, 01:31 PM
HCA might hinder the Lakers from winning the Finals this year from the Cavaliers....

If there's any reason to doubt the Lakers, this would be it. Best home team versus best road team.

Cavaliers also have to get bigger in thier starting lineup to combat the Lakers...I would consider starting Pavlovic instead of West just to combat the Lakers size....

I think this is exactly what Mike Brown will be pondering. No way West or Mo Williams can guard Kobe...just too small. I think West has to go to the bench and this is gonna break some chemistry but Brown doesn't have much choice.

They might switch LeBron onto Kobe but that's going to tire him out for offense. And also leaves 6'3 West on 6'8 Trevor Ariza.

And if they bring in Pavlovic as the Small Forward, that means LeBron at PF would have to defend 7' Pau.

JoeTait75
05-01-2009, 01:33 PM
I would consider starting Pavlovic instead of West just to combat the Lakers size....

Even if they did this, they'd have to turn to Delonte after Pavlovic picks up his third foul in the first five minutes of the game.

stretch
05-01-2009, 02:33 PM
They might switch LeBron onto Kobe but that's going to tire him out for offense. And also leaves 6'3 West on 6'8 Trevor Ariza.

And if they bring in Pavlovic as the Small Forward, that means LeBron at PF would have to defend 7' Pau.

First, I think you underestimate just how good the Cavs team defense is, and how well they rotate.

Second, I actually think it would be smart to start either Wally or Pavlovic at SG, which means more explosion off the bench. The Lakers bench is terrible on defense, so that may actually benefit the Cavs quite a bit.

stretch
05-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Also, I think that Kobe can expect to see a considerable amount of instant double teams the moment the ball is passed in his direction, forcing him to pass it. Even with a small lineup, the Cavs can most definitely execute that extremely well with two small guys pestering him instantly. If the Cavs do that effectively, the Lakers may have a long series in store... and considering how well they rotate, I think they will do a damn good job at it.

That is the reason why I see problems for the Lakers in their matchup against the Cavs. People sit around talking about one-on-one matchups, but fact is, if you are trying to go one-on-one with Kobe, you are asking for trouble. It takes a team effort to defend him, and the Cavs team defense is FANTASTIC.

DAF86
05-01-2009, 02:48 PM

Isn't Kobe 29? what makes you think Kobe will be winning rings 'till he's 34-35? there's only one Jordan. I'm not sure Kobe will get one with this current squad but what I'm sure of is that if he does win, he won't get more than 2 or 3.

stretch
05-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Double teaming Kobe is what killed the Cavs in the regular season game. All the Lakers did was flash Lamar to the high post and either scored or passed it to Pau for the dunk. If the Cavs make the finals, I just dont see how they can win with no post up game.

Regular season, dumbass.

Playoffs are an entirely new animal.

TheMACHINE
05-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Regular season, dumbass.

Playoffs are an entirely new animal.

too bad the 2006 Mavs didnt know that.

DrHouse
05-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Playoffs are a different animal but that doesn't mean you can discount everything that happened in the regular season matchups.

The Lakers got dominated in the paint by the Celtics in very similar fashion in both the regular season and post season last year. The post season brings about a different level of intensity, but core matchup problems will still persist unless strategic moves and counters are made. Quite frankly there isn't much Brown can do to change the fact that his bigs are all undersized except for Varajeao. There isn't much he can do that the only player capable of guarding Kobe on his team is Lebron, and when Lebron can't play free safety the Cavs defense suffers. At the end of the day the Cavs will need to shoot incredible hot from the 3pt line to win the series.

I'll take my chances with the team that's scoring in the paint vs. the team that's chucking 3's any day of the week. With or without HCA.

Spursfan092120
05-01-2009, 04:05 PM
too bad the 2006 Mavs didnt know that.
http://a7.vox.com/6a00d414198da4685e00fad6b70a770005-500pi

Allanon
05-01-2009, 04:26 PM
First, I think you underestimate just how good the Cavs team defense is, and how well they rotate.

Second, I actually think it would be smart to start either Wally or Pavlovic at SG, which means more explosion off the bench. The Lakers bench is terrible on defense, so that may actually benefit the Cavs quite a bit.

The Cavs defense is great, they just don't have the personnel (if they keep their current starting lineup).

The other thing that really hurts the Lakers is a lightning quick point guard. And again, neither West or Mo are quick. The Lakers get a free pass there too.

The Cavs strengths versus the Lakers strengths are so oxymoronic that it's almost as if the Cavs went out of their way to not match up well with the Lakers.

I don't think there's a good team that matches up worse with the Lakers than the Cavs.

Allanon
05-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Isn't Kobe 29? what makes you think Kobe will be winning rings 'till he's 34-35? there's only one Jordan. I'm not sure Kobe will get one with this current squad but what I'm sure of is that if he does win, he won't get more than 2 or 3.

The difference is that Kobe has a great team. There's no luxury like having two young and pretty skilled 7 footers to dump the ball into. And then you have Lamar and Trevor Ariza.

Shannon Brown, the perfect Triangle point guard, just fell into the Lakers' lap and he looks to be the next starting point guard for the Lakers when Fisher retires.

With as much scoring as Pau/Bynum/Odom do, Kobe really only needs to play in spurts for the Lakers to win most games. You see Kobe coasting most of the time until the Lakers need points.

Kobe's the oldest of the team, but the rest of them have at least 5 years left in them.

Even if the Lakers don't 5-peat, they should be in Championship contention for the next 5 years.

This luxury will go a long ways in extending his career. With this team, I wouldn't be surprised if Kobe is still playing at 38.

The_Game
05-01-2009, 05:22 PM
The difference is that Kobe has a great team. There's no luxury like having two young and pretty skilled 7 footers to dump the ball into. And then you have Lamar and Trevor Ariza.

Shannon Brown, the perfect Triangle point guard, just fell into the Lakers' lap and he looks to be the next starting point guard for the Lakers when Fisher retires.

With as much scoring as Pau/Bynum/Odom do, Kobe really only needs to play in spurts for the Lakers to win most games. You see Kobe coasting most of the time until the Lakers need points.

Kobe's the oldest of the team, but the rest of them have at least 5 years left in them.

Even if the Lakers don't 5-peat, they should be in Championship contention for the next 5 years.

This luxury will go a long ways in extending his career. With this team, I wouldn't be surprised if Kobe is still playing at 38.

so you expect Kobe to still be great at age 35? i mean you said next 4 to 5 years you expect this Laker team to still be great?

Allanon
05-01-2009, 05:25 PM
so you expect Kobe to still be great at age 35? i mean you said next 4 to 5 years you expect this Laker team to still be great?

Kobe will probably be a great player until 33-34. By 35, he'll become more and more of a jumpshooter. If Kobe adjusts his game, he'll still be a good, but not great player at 35.

But with Bynum developing nicely, by Kobe's 35, Bynum should be able to shoulder most of the load with Kobe leaving most of the load to Bynum.

Alot of people said this year that Kobe lost a step. Kobe hasn't lost a step, he ain't even trying on most nights. But when he does try, like Utah Game 4, he's still as unstoppable as ever. And everybody's pretty much forgotten that Kobe still has that messed up shooting hand from last year.

Kobe's down to 36 minutes this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he only plays 30 minutes next year.

If Kobe can keep pacing himself like this, he's still got a long career ahead.

The_Game
05-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Playoffs are a different animal but that doesn't mean you can discount everything that happened in the regular season matchups.

The Lakers got dominated in the paint by the Celtics in very similar fashion in both the regular season and post season last year. The post season brings about a different level of intensity, but core matchup problems will still persist unless strategic moves and counters are made. Quite frankly there isn't much Brown can do to change the fact that his bigs are all undersized except for Varajeao. There isn't much he can do that the only player capable of guarding Kobe on his team is Lebron, and when Lebron can't play free safety the Cavs defense suffers. At the end of the day the Cavs will need to shoot incredible hot from the 3pt line to win the series.

I'll take my chances with the team that's scoring in the paint vs. the team that's chucking 3's any day of the week. With or without HCA.

The Cavs frontcourt is basically the same height as the Lakers frontcourt...size is not the difference. It's those Laker bigs are just better.

The_Game
05-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Kobe will probably be a great player until 33-34. By 35, he'll become more and more of a jumpshooter. If Kobe adjusts his game, he'll still be a good, but not great player at 35.

But with Bynum developing nicely, by Kobe's 35, Bynum should be able to shoulder most of the load with Kobe leaving most of the load to Bynum.

Alot of people said this year that Kobe lost a step. Kobe hasn't lost a step, he ain't even trying on most nights. But when he does try, like Utah Game 4, he's still as unstoppable as ever. And everybody's pretty much forgotten that Kobe still has that messed up shooting hand from last year.

Kobe's down to 36 minutes this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he only plays 30 minutes next year.

If Kobe can keep pacing himself like this, he's still got a long career ahead.

in your opinion next year will kobe still be a 27,5 and 5 player?

Allanon
05-01-2009, 05:39 PM
in your opinion next year will kobe still be a 27,5 and 5 player?

No, probably ~24 points. I think his minutes will drastically reduce but his shots will be at a high percentage.

The_Game
05-01-2009, 05:41 PM
You think so? guessing you expect Bynum to have a big turnaround in offensive production then?

guess kobe's minutes going down depends if you keep odom and Ariza.

Allanon
05-01-2009, 05:43 PM
You think so? guessing you expect Bynum to have a big turnaround in offensive production then?

guess kobe's minutes going down depends if you keep odom and Ariza.

Yes, all dependent on Bynum/Odom/Ariza.

Bynum needs to bring his averges up to 18-20 points, 10 rebounds. Bynum's already at 14 points with 9 shots. If he can get 3 more shots per game, he should be able to average around 18.

If Odom or Ariza are gone, then all bets are off. Josh Powell can't replace Odom and Luke can't replace Ariza.

The_Game
05-01-2009, 05:47 PM
do lakers have bird rights to Odom and Ariza or are they unrestricted? sorry for so many questions lol

Allanon
05-01-2009, 05:49 PM
do lakers have bird rights to Odom and Ariza or are they unrestricted? sorry for so many questions lol

Hahah, no problem. Yes, the Lakers have Bird Rights on both.

The better question is" do the Lakers want to pay the Luxury tax to keep both?". Keeping both will push the Lakers salary over $100 million.

If the Lakers win the Title this year, I think the Lakers will do whatever it takes. Jerry Buss said he'd pay money for a Champion.

But, if the Lakers don't win, I expect one if not both to be gone next year.