PDA

View Full Version : George Hill's salary

lurker23
05-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Forgive me if this information has already been posted. I was browsing shamsports.com for their NBA salaries, and I noticed something weird about George Hill's salary for 2010-2011.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

Thinking it was a mistake, I sent an email to the person who runs ShamSports. Here's the message I got back from him:

"They [rookie scale contacts] don't HAVE to go up throughout. They just normally do. But there's a reason Hill took ages before signing with the Spurs: the Spurs (who, lest we forget, didn't want to draft ) refused to budge from their offer of 120% of the rookie salary in the first two years, before dropping to 80% in the third year. (The fourth year is a percentage of whatever the third year is. That's how the scale works. And teams can give players between 80% to 120% of the scale. Almost always, they give 120% so as to not alienate agents. But the Spurs are stricter on this.)

It's unique, but it's also what happened. Also, as a further twist, you may notice that that third year is less than what the third year player's minimum salary will be for that year. This, too, is a unique situation, and the NBA has ruled that the salary will stay as what it is until that third year comes around, at which point it is changed to the minimum."

He also said this in another email:

"For the scale itself, look here:

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_exhibits/exhibitB.php

Notice too that Mahinmi took an 80% scale offer, the only other one in the world today. Indeed, the only other players who are currently signed for less than the 120% are Sergio Rodriguez (100%) and Donte Greene (100%, but with incentives to get to the full 120%)."

exstatic
05-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Not too surprising. Any salary on the books for year 3 counts against the "2010 plan" dollars.

Spurs Brazil
05-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Maybe that's why it took so long for him to sign

spursfan1000
05-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Well I guess that's good for the Spurs.

ploto
05-01-2009, 10:31 PM
I think I remember at the time discussion about Ian not getting 120% and I have always wondered if the Spurs would not give it to Splitter either.