PDA

View Full Version : Should TD weigh in on hirings/firings

raspsa
05-02-2009, 01:55 AM
Since TD would want to maximize his chances of getting another ring, shpuldn't he be more assertive regatding player hirings and firings. He's low-key and respectful of Pop and the FO but he is the franchise and I'm pretty sure he knows what the team needs to contend at the highest level.

Fabbs
05-02-2009, 02:41 AM
100%.
It's what has kept him seperated from Jordan, etc ones who have repeated.

Too much of a Popped condoner.

NFGIII
05-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Since he is the piece which the Spurs are building around I think he should, too.

If so then maybe we have Josh Howard on the roster as of 2003.:depressed

Summers
05-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Y'all are assuming he doesn't have much say. His opinion is sought on almost every roster decision, from what I've read.

raspsa
05-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Y'all are assuming he doesn't have much say. His opinion is sought on almost every roster decision, from what I've read.

No doubt he is consulted.. but should he take it to the next level and actually be more assertive eg. "this player has to go" or "we have to go out and get this player" I know its not in his nature but just maybe he has to take the lead at this point in his career.. also he did leave a lot of money on the table the last time he extended his contract so the Spurs could go out and hire better players..

mattyc
05-02-2009, 09:08 AM
I think it's impossible for the majority of us to make an assumption on how much of a say he does or doesn't have behind closed doors...

ducks
05-02-2009, 09:52 AM
depends on his knowledge of the business side of basketball
it can not be to bad spurs won titles with him

exstatic
05-02-2009, 10:19 AM
No doubt he is consulted.. but should he take it to the next level and actually be more assertive eg. "this player has to go" or "we have to go out and get this player" I know its not in his nature ...

In legal terminology, "asked and answered".

kace
05-02-2009, 10:29 AM
as far as i know, nothing proves he knows better than the FO when it comes to what the team needs.

there's no doubt he is informed of what happens and his opinion could be asked. but that's all.

exstatic
05-02-2009, 10:37 AM
as far as i know, nothing proves he knows better than the FO when it comes to what the team needs.

there's no doubt he is informed of what happens and his opinion could be asked. but that's all.

That.

saxman
05-02-2009, 10:47 AM
The front office might want to consider Duncan's opinion about players but ultimately it should come down to Pop's decision.

Mel_13
05-02-2009, 10:48 AM
That.

And the last thing we need is TD ranting like a crazy person to fans in parking lots so camera phone videos can be posted on youtube. Or for him to go on every national talk show calling out the FO. I'm sure after 12 years, TD and Pop have open lines of communication and share their ideas privately.

ploto
05-02-2009, 10:56 AM
The front office might want to consider Duncan's opinion about players but ultimately it should come down to Pop's decision.

Pop is the coach- not the owner. Things occur that are not of his liking.

EVAY
05-02-2009, 11:01 AM
y'all are assuming he doesn't have much say. His opinion is sought on almost every roster decision, from what i've read.

+1

Fabbs
05-02-2009, 11:37 AM
For you "his opinion was sought on every decision" people, Duncan wanted Josh Howard.

end of story.

Similiarly I'm betting GNob wanted Louwie Scola.
End of story.
And playoffs.
And repeat chances.

angel_luv
05-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Pop is the coach- not the owner. Things occur that are not of his liking.

Interesting. Do you have examples?

JamStone
05-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Moreover, they're assuming Tim Duncan's opinion of players are usually good. What if he's the one who pushed for the signings of Derek Anderson and Nick Van Exel? What if he wanted Ime Udoka? Input, sure. But, that doesn't mean Duncan would have the right evaluation of players either.

balli
05-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Input, sure. But, that doesn't mean Duncan would have the right evaluation of players either.

True, but in my own opinion, Duncan's smart enough and been around long enough that I'd suspect he's not totally ignorant when it comes to assessing talent/franchise decisions. I don't think any player should have more than that; input. But just as an outside observer, I'd trust Duncan's input more than I would that of a lot of other active superstars.

SouthTexasRancher
05-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Since TD would want to maximize his chances of getting another ring, shpuldn't he be more assertive regatding player hirings and firings. He's low-key and respectful of Pop and the FO but he is the franchise and I'm pretty sure he knows what the team needs to contend at the highest level.

Damn straight Tim should weigh in. And Pop better damn well listen. If the Nuggets beat the Mavettes in a sweep or in 5 games then that should be a loud and clear message to Pop to get us some players like we had in our Championship years, i.e., a slasher, a tall and mobile center, a backup point guard, and a bunch of jump shooters who can actually make their shot, etc., etc., etc......

peskypesky
05-02-2009, 03:50 PM

ABSOLUTELY. And he should kick Pop in the ass for his stupid coaching this year. He should kick RC for letting Scola go. He needs to start kicking asses in general.