PDA

View Full Version : Cavs Know What To Expect From Hawks And Heat

duncan228
05-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Cavaliers know what to expect from Hawks and Heat (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/other_nba/view.bg?articleid=1169102&srvc=sports&position=recent)
By George M. Thomas / Akron Beacon Journal

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio — Although the Cavaliers are on an extended hiatus, there is activity at their training complex.

Most of it involves players working out in the gym, but assistant coach Mike Malone remains busy.

Malone is in charge of game planning, and with the series between the Atlanta Hawks and Miami Heat still being contested, he finds himself doing double duty planning for both teams.

Until one advances, he will continue to study both. "With the team, we haven’t talked to anybody yet. It’s just about getting better for us," Malone said.

The Cavs already know what to expect from the Hawks and the Heat.

"Each team has similarities and differences," center Zydrunas Ilgauskas said. "Obviously, Miami is more of a low-post team with Jermaine O’Neal and each team is guard-oriented, but Atlanta is more of a fast-break team. Each team has very good scorers, Dwyane Wade and Joe Johnson."

The Hawks defeated the Heat in Game 5 on Wednesday night to take a 3-2 lead in the series. If the Hawks win Game 6, they will play the Cavs in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals on Sunday at 1 p.m. EDT at Quicken Loans Arena.

"We never want to start working on teams when you don’t know who it will be. In this case, we may have to work on a little bit of Miami and a little bit of Atlanta," Malone said.

Mo’s no issue

Mo Williams’ playoff outing won’t exactly have people comparing him to Magic Johnson, but that’s OK. It was just the 6- foot-2 guard’s second stint in the postseason, and coach Mike Brown believes he will be all right.

"Because he hasn’t been part of a winning season before probably helped his confidence quite a bit, especially having the last game that he had," Brown said. "But I think even before the series, I think he understood that the playoffs are going to be tough."

Williams got off to a slow start in Game 1, scoring only 12 points, only to rebound in Game 2. He scored just two points in Game 3, but was a big factor in Game 4.

Brown said he’s used to Williams starting slowly, as he often did during the regular season.

"At first yes. I was like ’Mo can’t hit the side of a barn.’ I’d be frazzled inside and my face would be contorted and stuff like that," Brown said. "And Mo kept the same expression. Same look. Same body language and then he’d come out in the second half and go 6-for-9. I’ve learned to stay out of his way and know sooner or later he’s going to get it going."

Down, not out

One of Brown’s former teams, the San Antonio Spurs, took an early exit from the playoffs, eliminated 4-1 by the Dallas Mavericks. Brown expects the Spurs’ adversity to be short- lived, primarily because Gregg Popovich is their coach.

"It was important Manu Ginobili being out, but Pop isn’t going to use that as an excuse. I think he’s got a great grip on his team and what he needs to do and they’ll be fine. Obviously it’s tough for them, but the man’s a genius," Brown said.

Armando
05-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Trust me the Cavs want Atlanta. They know they can lock up Joe Johnson. They want no part of Wade in the playoffs especially since the Heat would be the underdogs. Yes I know LeBron the Cavs are better bla bla bla but Wade can take over and before you know the Cavs are playing a 7 game series when everyone expected only 4 or 5 games. Not saying the Heat will win calm down Cavs fans.

JoeTait75
05-02-2009, 09:51 AM
They know they can lock up Joe Johnson. They want no part of Wade in the playoffs especially since the Heat would be the underdogs.

I think LeBron would relish the challenge of going up against D-Wade in a series.

Armando
05-02-2009, 09:56 AM
I think LeBron would relish the challenge of going up against D-Wade in a series.

Granted I give you that. But I am sure Mike Brown won't be enjoying it that much.

poop
05-02-2009, 10:02 AM
wade keeps having injury problems so i dont think he will be dominating the series, and the rest of his team is still too raw. id love it to be a good match but honestly think the cavs would steamroll them.

Armando
05-02-2009, 10:12 AM
wade keeps having injury problems so i dont think he will be dominating the series, and the rest of his team is still too raw. id love it to be a good match but honestly think the cavs would steamroll them.

IDK The Cavs will likely get the 2 games in Cleveland but I think the Heat will get at least 2 games. If Wade's jumper is falling and he is getting into the paint is going to be tough for the Cavs especially on the road in Miami. Plus Wade like LeBron will get his calls. Unlike Detroit(Rasheed) the Heat won't be tanking games on purpose. And I still don't buy the idea that Mo Williams or Delonte West can guard Wade so look for James to spend some time on him. The only risk is James getting into foul trouble.