PDA

View Full Version : Portland could move batum, what would the spurs give up to get him

Darthkiller
05-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Heard this on their forum , batum barely played in playoff and lost his starting spot to Fernandez. They will have webster coming back next year who will likely be the starting SF. I think the spurs can give up some veterans to get him.

200 miles
05-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Would Mason and Bonner suffice?

Bruno
05-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Spurs tried to get him at the trade deadline but Blazers quickly hang up.

Chomag
05-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I would love to have him. He would be a perfect fit with our system, and he would bring many things we are needing right now. However I'm not sure if we can offer them anything better then what other teams would offer.

If we can sweet talk the Blazers into getting him that would be awesome!

MaNu4Tres
05-02-2009, 11:50 AM
No way Portland trades him, unless he's part of a package to bring in a big big name.

TheProfessor
05-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Heard this on their forum , batum barely played in playoff and lost his starting spot to Fernandez. They will have webster coming back next year who will likely be the starting SF. I think the spurs can give up some veterans to get him.
If I were Portland, I wouldn't want veterans, I'd want Hill. Young lanky PG, good defender, has the size that Nate McMillan covets.

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2009, 12:19 PM
they can have udoka back if they want

JamStone
05-02-2009, 12:35 PM
I would guess they'd try to move Outlaw as more of a priority because his contract is expiring and with all the guys Portland will have to sign extensions to over the next few seasons, it will be hard to keep Outlaw there unless they're willing to pay him big money too. And if they do trade Outlaw, they'd probably want to keep Batum to back up Webster.

Big P
05-02-2009, 12:44 PM
They are pretty deep at swingmen & forwards..I would imagine that 1 or 2 of those guys get moved, but Portland is not giving us Batum, they are not going to help us rebuild..other teams can easily offer more & they will probably be from the Eastern conference.

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
They are pretty deep at swingmen & forwards..I would imagine that 1 or 2 of those guys get moved, but Portland is not giving us Batum, they are not going to help us rebuild..other teams can easily offer more & they will probably be from the Eastern conference.

well fuck them

im glad memphis fuckd up there cap with the signin of miles when every other team didnt dare too...fuck the blazers

Mr. Body
05-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Pritchard is a tight ass when it comes to trades. He'd demand someone's left testicle.

The Franchise
05-02-2009, 01:10 PM
The Spurs don't have anything that the Blazers really need. There is George Hill, but I think George is to valuable to trade for Batum.

Big P
05-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Pritchard is a tight ass when it comes to trades. He'd demand someone's left testicle.

Matt Bonner?

SouthTexasRancher
05-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Would Mason and Bonner suffice?

Throw in Udoka and Finley to sweeten the deal. :lol

thekingrobert
05-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I see them ridding themselves with Outlaw before Batum

Spurs_9_20_21
05-02-2009, 04:17 PM
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol yes they can!!!!

SenorSpur
05-02-2009, 05:46 PM

:lol
:clap

SenorSpur
05-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Isn't Outlaw the best player they have out of all the swingmen? If so, I could see them making him the starter next year. I remember reading that he does want to start eventually, whether it be Portland or somewhere else.

Mark in Austin
05-02-2009, 05:51 PM
I get the feeling Pritchard has some sort of weird rivalry thing in his head about SA - don't think he would do a trade as readily as Presti or Ferry.

Could just be my imagination, but that's the vibe I get.

SenorSpur
05-02-2009, 05:58 PM
I get the feeling Pritchard has some sort of weird rivalry thing in his head about SA - don't think he would do a trade as readily as Presti or Ferry.

Could just be my imagination, but that's the vibe I get.

I get the same vibe. It's funny how Lindsey comes to the Spurs and immediately does his former organization (Rockets) a solid by brokering the Scola deal.

Even Presti williingly negotiated the KT trade to San Antonio. Of course, he held the Spurs hostage for a 1st round pick.

Yet Pritchard seemingly does sneaky shit, like stealing Batum from under his old bosses noses. It's almost like he wants to scoreboard them for whatever reason, in a vengeful and competitive way.

Please_dont_ban_me
05-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Not much?

A role player off the bench.

Please_dont_ban_me
05-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes, that guy can only play off the bench. The starting SF is still in steady control of Finley's hand. Of all the other work, the first Spurs should do is just to re-sign Finley in the summer. Finley is the 4th best player on Spurs team, only behind Duncan Parker and Ginobili.

I meant I wouldn't give up more than a role player off the bench.

But ya, Batum would def come off our bench is a nice weapon to have.

The Truth #6
05-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Yes, that guy can only play off the bench. The starting SF is still in steady control of Finley's hand. Of all the other work, the first Spurs should do is just to re-sign Finley in the summer. Finley is the 4th best player on Spurs team, only behind Duncan Parker and Ginobili.

Yeah, Finley is awesome. Incredible. Maybe we can hoodwink Pritchard into giving us Batum and Brandon Roy for Finley. You just can't have enough old, old veterans. As an added bonus, he's excellent on defense. He perfectly funnels offensive players on a path directly to the rim which would allow the Portland defenders a great opportunity to practice taking charges and blocking shots. Some young players can do this as well, but not with the metronomic consistency of a player like Finley.

Please_dont_ban_me
05-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Yeah, Finley is awesome. Incredible. Maybe we can hoodwink Pritchard into giving us Batum and Brandon Roy for Finley. You just can't have enough old, old veterans. As an added bonus, he's excellent on defense. He perfectly funnels offensive players on a path directly to the rim which would allow the Portland defenders a great opportunity to practice taking charges and blocking shots. Some young players can do this as well, but not with the metronomic consistency of a player like Finley.

Lol.

But to be fair...

1) I don't think he suggested we could get Roy for Finley.

2) A lot of teams could use a veteran player with a shot like Finleys, plus he's a leader. On a young team like Portland, they might value something like that.

Please_dont_ban_me
05-02-2009, 07:36 PM
One teams old hag is another teams seasoned veteran?

Danny.Zhu
05-02-2009, 09:31 PM

That would be awesome...

Obstructed_View
05-02-2009, 09:59 PM
I get the same vibe. It's funny how Lindsey comes to the Spurs and immediately does his former organization (Rockets) a solid by brokering the Scola deal.

Even Presti williingly negotiated the KT trade to San Antonio. Of course, he held the Spurs hostage for a 1st round pick.

Yet Pritchard seemingly does sneaky shit, like stealing Batum from under his old bosses noses. It's almost like he wants to scoreboard them for whatever reason, in a vengeful and competitive way.

He couldn't have done that without Lindsey's tip to the Rockets.

Taking it to the Hole
05-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Nobody ever wants trash much less our trash! I don't see aged unreliable role players at the top of any teams wish list, so we are screwed with what we have because giving up what little youth we have would be pretty stupid IMO.

ajballer4
05-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Nobody ever wants trash much less our trash! I don't see aged unreliable role players at the top of any teams wish list, so we are screwed with what we have because giving up what little youth we have would be pretty stupid IMO.

the only thing our old guys are good for are expiring contracts for sucky teams

VI_Massive
05-03-2009, 02:24 PM
No way Portland moves Batum. He's the theoretical Ariza to Roy's Kobe.....athletic SF who can guard the other team's best scorer to take pressure off Roy/Kobe.

Plus, he's so so young and cheap.

ajballer4
05-03-2009, 02:33 PM
and they moved up in front of us in the draft to get him because they knew we were going to

SenorSpur
05-03-2009, 03:25 PM

Which is why I scratched my head in dubious disgust when word leaked that the Spurs were willing to part with George Hill in the proposed Marcus Camby deal with the Clippers. The Spurs certainly needed another big at the time, and the Camby trade was indeed one to explore, but the thought of giving up the only young, athletic guy on the roster was indeed assinine.

Obstructed_View
05-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Which is why I scratched my head in dubious disgust when word leaked that the Spurs were willing to part with George Hill in the proposed Marcus Camby deal with the Clippers. The Spurs certainly needed another big at the time, and the Camby trade was indeed one to explore, but the thought of giving up the only young, athletic guy on the roster was indeed assinine.

That trade, however, would have helped the Spurs tremendously, especially when Pop wasn't giving Hill any minutes and entered the playoffs completely unprepared to utilize or trust him.

timvp
05-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Outside of San Antonio, Batum might have been the worst role player in the playoffs. He literally wasn't doing anything on the court. His one-on-one defense is pretty good due to his length but he has no idea how to rotate defensively. By the end of the year he had turned into like a Jacque Vaughn-esque placeholder for Travis Outlaw. He not only hit the rookie wall, he was clobbered by it. If he was drafted by the Spurs, he would have been next to Mahinmi in a suit come playoff time.

That said, yeah, Batum would be a great add to the Spurs going forward. His length and athleticism alone makes him a good fit. He has a little bit of overconfidence to him (:rolleyes @ taunting Pau Gasol) and the end of his rookie season is worrisome ... but he looks like a good prospect.

But I can't imagine Portland trading him to the Spurs. Pritchard along with Morey seem like the two GMs who have outwardly made it their mission to see the demise of the Spurs. The Spurs would really have to overpay ... and there's a chance Batum remains at a Udoka-like level for a few more years.

SenorSpur
05-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Outside of San Antonio, Batum might have been the worst role player in the playoffs. He literally wasn't doing anything on the court. His one-on-one defense is pretty good due to his length but he has no idea how to rotate defensively. By the end of the year he had turned into like a Jacque Vaughn-esque placeholder for Travis Outlaw. He not only hit the rookie wall, he was clobbered by it. If he was drafted by the Spurs, he would have been next to Mahinmi in a suit come playoff time.

That said, yeah, Batum would be a great add to the Spurs going forward. His length and athleticism alone makes him a good fit. He has a little bit of overconfidence to him (:rolleyes @ taunting Pau Gasol) and the end of his rookie season is worrisome ... but he looks like a good prospect.

But I can't imagine Portland trading him to the Spurs. Pritchard along with Morey seem like the two GMs who have outwardly made it their mission to see the demise of the Spurs. The Spurs would really have to overpay ... and there's a chance Batum remains at a Udoka-like level for a few more years.

Do you think Batum would've fared somewhat better, including demonstrating a bit more humility, from being immersed Pop's system for a full season?

Obstructed_View
05-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Do you think Batum would've fared somewhat better, including demonstrating a bit more humility, from being immersed Pop's system for a full season?

Pop punishes young players for mistakes like that. He'd have spent the entire season in the doghouse and probably would have such a damaged relationship with Pop he'd be firmly on the trading block by now (with little to no value).

Obstructed_View
05-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Pritchard along with Morey seem like the two GMs who have outwardly made it their mission to see the demise of the Spurs.
Ah, validation! I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks that. :lol

Thomas82
05-03-2009, 09:04 PM

I heard that they wanted him back.

SenorSpur
05-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Pop punishes young players for mistakes like that. He'd have spent the entire season in the doghouse and probably would have such a damaged relationship with Pop he'd be firmly on the trading block by now (with little to no value).

Point taken. Hill seemingly has a different temperment. He didn't overreact or get down on the fact that Pop benched him inexplicably.