PDA

View Full Version : Another Bush Policy revived by Obama

Yonivore
05-02-2009, 01:09 PM
The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/02/us/politics/02gitmo.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss) reports that the Obama administration is considering reviving military tribunals to try the detainees at Guantanamo Bay. An anonymous administration official sums up:

"The more they look at it," said one official, "the more commissions don't look as bad as they did on Jan. 20."
As Jules Crittenden (http://www.julescrittenden.com/2009/05/02/ha-ha/) notes, you can infer the administration's embarrassment from the timing of the Friday afternoon leak.

I hope someone is keeping track of Obama's many sub silentio ratifications of once-criticized Bush administration policies.

George Gervin's Afro
05-02-2009, 01:18 PM
So are you going to praise Obama?

Yonivore
05-02-2009, 01:28 PM
This was a smart decision. Now if he'd quit releasing National Security secrets and get his hand off capitalism, I'd be a bit more pleased.

Ignignokt
05-02-2009, 03:09 PM

Thank you Obama for being on the wrong side of sarah palin and finally owning up to it. Now that's change.

ChumpDumper
05-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah, we apparently have some flimsy cases against many of the potential defendants if one applies the standards of American criminal jurisprudence. Tribiunals are a nice way changing the rules as needed, and this is what Obama will probably end up doing albeit with a few additional nods to human and civil rights.

boutons_deux
05-02-2009, 06:21 PM
kangaroo courts

spurster
05-02-2009, 11:25 PM
The American people no longer believe in innocent until proven guilty.

Any politician who acts on this principle will be punished in elections.

Winehole23
05-02-2009, 11:35 PM
I hope someone is keeping track of Obama's many sub silentio ratifications of once-criticized Bush administration policies.I don't care to do your homework for you, but Obama's policies regarding war, national security (including secrecy, warrantless surveillance and irregular detention) have been called into question numerous times in this very forum.

Your terminal case of rectal-cranial inversion probably prevented you from noticing.

Enjoy the view Yoni, I know you're in love with the smell!