PDA

View Full Version : Post lockout era - Top 20 Playoff sereis

E20
05-02-2009, 01:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Bulls-Celtics-and-the-top-20-series-of-the-post-;_ylt=AtPt6mDEInISQStfkm0fAaK8vLYF?urn=nba,160612

1. Dallas over San Antonio, 2006

Simply the gold standard, for our time. Featuring an up-and-comer taking on the defending champs, this contest featured a two-point Spurs win to start it, followed by a shocking 12-point Mavs win in San Antonio. A one-point Mavs win and five-point Dallas overtime victory came next, with a one and five-point Spurs win to follow, ending with a classic Mavericks overtime win in San Antonio that featured a season-saving three-point play from Dirk Nowitzki (37 points, 15 rebounds) at the end of regulation.

Lots of emphasis on point differential? You bet. This whole list is based on how great and how close the actual games were, not any sort of misty recollections or credence slipped toward teams in the final four or two slots in the playoff bracket. This list is for those who were there, watching.

2. Boston/Chicago, 2009

We haven’t even hit Game 7, and yet this is still bordering on an all-timer. Seven overtime periods in six games thus far, alongside one three-point Boston win in Game 2 that turned on the heels of a desperate Ray Allen three-pointer shot over an approaching 7-footer. There may have been more "important" best of seven attempts, but have you ever been a part of one better than this? Assuming Game 7 goes according to script …

3. Utah over Sacramento, 1999

Game 1 featured the expected Jazz blowout win, replete with Greg Ostertag scoring at will over Chris Webber on a couple of possessions. Game 2? Things, shockingly, turned. What followed were two overtime games, and one one-point Jazz win, and some of the best personality-driven brand of playoff basketball that we’ve ever seen.

4. Los Angeles Lakers over Sacramento, 2001

This is a big favorite, but to us it’s a bit marred by the horrid officiating in Game 6, and a full-on Kings meltdown that took place in Sacramento during Game 7. Still, two incredibly fun and talented teams, essentially giving us the best NBA Finals of the last decade, should you consider the deep East/West divide that lasted from 1999 until recently.

5. Golden State over Dallas, 2007

A modern classic, the eighth-seeded Golden State had Dallas’ regular season number for two straight seasons heading into this first round matchup, and proceeded to act as (should have been) expected in this first round against the top-seeded Mavericks.

6. Los Angeles Lakers over Portland, 2000

People tend to remember Portland’s fourth quarter flameout in Game 7, one that saw the Trail Blazers give up a 15-point fourth quarter lead to the Lakers in the final 15 minutes. What few do remember is a dogged attempt from the Blazers, down 3-1 at one point, to get to a seventh game. This series featured Portland stealing the homecourt advantage, giving it up with two losses in Portland, before raring back (spurred on by a Steely Dan concert the night before, no doubt) to take Game 6. Only to toss it all away as the team’s lack of a go-to guy became obvious in Game 7.

7. Phoenix over Dallas, 2005

What stand out are two best friends, Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash, going at it on several switched screen and rolls. What also stands out are two of the best offensive teams of this generation trading high quality baskets and entertaining play.

8. Dallas over Houston, 2005

Sure, the series ended with a 40-point Dallas win in Game 7, but what we remember is the four games in the middle of this fun one that were decided by six points or less.

9. Dallas over Utah, 2001

A real shocker at the time, and a series that tipped a lot of us off to the fact that, while "playoff moxie" and "veteran doggedness" might be something to appreciate, let’s face it, talent is an asset. And Dallas had the talent enough to pull out a classic Game 5 win with Calvin Booth hitting a clutch shot down the stretch. OK, maybe "talent" isn’t the word …

10. Minnesota over Sacramento, 2004

An underrated one, with five of the seven games turning in at a six points or fewer difference, and Kevin Garnett turning in this Game 7 gem: 32 points, 21 rebounds, two assists, four steals, five blocks, two turnovers.

Trainwreck2100
05-02-2009, 03:58 PM
How is Det/SA not in the top 10?

ElNono
05-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah, also Phoenix/SA in 2007 with the Horry hump was better than some of those...

UltimA
05-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah, also Phoenix/SA in 2007 with the Horry hump was better than some of those...Agreed, there's been some really good Spurs/Suns matchups in the playoffs that we're extremely close.

Findog
05-02-2009, 08:21 PM
How is Det/SA not in the top 10?

Because outside of G5, it was fucking boring and ugly as shit. The home team won the first four games in blowouts. If you weren't a fan of either team, it was a partial-birth abortion to watch. And that goes for G7 too, I just wanted it to be over with.

Xylus
05-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't think anyone outside of San Antonio and Detroit fans enjoyed that series. I don't think I watched any of those games other than Game 7 all the way through.

This current Bulls-Celtics series, on the other hand, I've seen almost every minute of all 7 games. That's an exciting series.

Bob Lanier
05-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Pistons-Pacers 2004 was better than any series the Suns have been in.

Xylus
05-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Pistons-Pacers 2004 was better than any series the Suns have been in.

Pistons-Pacers 2004 was one of the worst displays of offense in NBA playoff history. Great defensive series, but exciting?

ElNono
05-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Because outside of G5, it was fucking boring and ugly as shit. The home team won the first four games in blowouts. If you weren't a fan of either team, it was a partial-birth abortion to watch. And that goes for G7 too, I just wanted it to be over with.

Game 7 was close all the way to the 4th quarter, until Bowen blocked Chauncey... but I agree that the rest of the games except 5 weren't that great...

Amuseddaysleeper
05-02-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't think anyone outside of San Antonio and Detroit fans enjoyed that series. I don't think I watched any of those games other than Game 7 all the way through.

This current Bulls-Celtics series, on the other hand, I've seen almost every minute of all 7 games. That's an exciting series.

The second half and overtime of Game 5 between Spurs/Detroit in 2005 was a classic

jacobdrj
05-03-2009, 12:07 AM
I didn't like the Bulls-Celtics series. Mediocre defense, sloppy passing, just bad basketball.
I think the 04 finals showed it was just good D, not bad O. It is how the EC usually plays.
I think they meant 2002 Sac v LA, not 2001.
I thought Raptors Sixers 2001 was a hell of a forgotten series.

Bob Lanier
05-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Pistons-Pacers 2004 was one of the worst displays of offense in NBA playoff history. Great defensive series, but exciting?
Defense is always more exciting than offense.

Xylus
05-03-2009, 04:21 AM
Defense is always more exciting than offense.

Watching two teams shoot 30% in every game of the series isn't exciting, no matter how you spin it.

Bob Lanier
05-03-2009, 04:21 AM
Yes it is.

Xylus
05-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Yes it is.

All right.

poop
05-03-2009, 05:51 AM
fcking horrible list, first of all the '06 spurs mavs series was marred by HORRIBLY BIASED officiating and most of the games were essentially decided by the Mavs (Dirk)shooting freethrows.

also nice claim that 2001 Finals were the 'best'...give me a fcking break game one was classic but after that the lakers steamrolled the sixers.