PDA

View Full Version : Lakers vs. Rockets Previews

duncan228
05-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Western Conference semifinal preview capsules (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-westsemifinalcapsules&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Brian Mahoney

No. 1 LOS ANGELES LAKERS (65-17, 4-1) vs. No. 5 HOUSTON ROCKETS (53-29, 4-2).
(regular season and playoff records)

Season series: Lakers, 4-0. Los Angeles dominated the second halves of the games, outscoring the Rockets by a combined 223-162 (an average of 55.8-40.5) after halftime. Kobe Bryant averaged 28.3 points for the Lakers, going for 33 and 37 points in the two games that were decided by single digits. Yao Ming had 15.8 points and 10.3 rebounds per game for the Rockets.

Storyline: After Houston acquired Ron Artest to team with Yao and Tracy McGrady, this matchup was a popular prediction for the Western Conference finals. Instead, the teams meet a round earlier, with the Rockets hoping to slow down a Lakers team that dominated them in the regular season and cruised past Utah in the first round.

Key Matchup I: Bryant vs. Artest and Shane Battier. The Rockets are considered one of the teams that can best match up with the Lakers because they have two elite perimeter defenders to throw at Bryant. Yet nothing they did seemed to work, as he made 53 percent of his shots and delighted in overwhelming Artest, bragging that “I kicked his (butt) tonight” after a 37-point outing on March 11. Houston also needs more consistent offense from Artest, who shot 4-of-16 in that game and had a 2-for-11 night in another loss.

Key Matchup II: Pau Gasol vs. Luis Scola. Two of the top international big men have battled many times in key games for their national teams. Gasol averaged 18.5 points and 9.3 rebounds against Houston this season, while Scola made 20 of 32 shots and scored 12.3 per game for Houston. He’ll have to stay out of foul trouble against Gasol and Lamar Odom.

X-Factor: Andrew Bynum. The Lakers didn’t use their former starting center much against Utah in the first round, playing him 15 minutes per game as he tries to regain his form following a long absence because of a knee injury. He could see more time to defend Yao, and he averaged 12 points in his two appearances against the Rockets this season.

Prediction: Lakers in 5.

duncan228
05-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Lakers know Yao Ming presents big obstacle (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-facingyao&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Yao Ming stands as a big obstacle in the Lakers’ way of returning to the NBA finals.

Just not as big as Lamar Odom thought.

Though Yao is listed at 7-feet-6, Odom made him even bigger when discussing the Houston Rockets’ center after practice on Saturday afternoon.

“I’ve never played against a player that was 7-7 and so skilled,” the Lakers forward said. “He can really shoot, his passing ability.

“He has a high IQ for the game. He’s so wide down low, too. He’s hard to get around.”

When informed that Yao is actually 7-6, Odom laughed.

“Shoot, it doesn’t make a difference after that,” Odom joked, “7-7, 7-6; same thing. He’s tall.”

Finding a way to run their offense efficiently with Yao in the paint and trying to contain him are top priorities for the Lakers, who will host the Rockets in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals on Monday night.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson has been impressed with the way Yao has increased his stamina to play more minutes. In four regular-season games against the Lakers, Yao averaged 15.8 points, 10.2 rebounds and 3.2 blocks while playing 33.8 minutes per game.

The Lakers swept the season series against the Rockets for the first time since the 2001-02 season, winning by an average of 13 points. During those four contests, the Lakers averaged 102.8 points while holding the Rockets to 89.8 points.

That means little to the Lakers, who are aware that regular-season results don’t mean anything once the playoffs start. Jackson noted that several key players from each team didn’t play each time they faced each other.

“I think they understand the regular season has a lot of parameters to it,” Jackson said. “There’s a lot that goes into the regular season that doesn’t match up in the playoffs.

“This is a whole new ballgame now.”

The Lakers haven’t played since finishing off the Utah Jazz in Game 5 of their first-round series last Monday.

The time off has given the players an opportunity to rest and has been especially beneficial for Lakers forward Luke Walton, who is nursing a sprained ankle, but may be available to play this series.

Center Andrew Bynum spent the downtime preparing for Yao in hopes of bouncing back from a subpar performance against Utah. Bynum got into foul trouble and averaged 5.0 points and 3.0 rebounds in that series.

But Bynum, who missed 32 games during the regular season with a torn MCL in his right knee, will likely be inserted into the starting lineup on Monday.

“Andrew looks good,” guard Kobe Bryant said. “Today he got a chance to get up-and-down. (We) played some 5-on-5 so it’s about him kind of getting his rhythm more so than anything else.”

Bryant will be featured in one of the intriguing matchups of the series, facing enigmatic Rockets forward Ron Artest. The mouthy Artest and Shane Battier will share the unenviable assignment of guarding reigning league MVP Bryant.

In a recent TV interview, Artest called Portland guard Brandon Roy “the best player I’ve played against.” When asked if he thought Roy was even better than Bryant and Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James, Artest reiterated his initial statement.

Bryant, who averaged 28.3 points against the Rockets this season, remained relatively quiet when talking about Artest.

“It’s fun,” Bryant said. “He’s obviously a great defensive player so I look forward to it.”

Odom anticipates an exciting battle between the two.

“I don’t think Kobe has anything to prove, especially offensively,” Odom said. “Ron is great at working off intimidation.

“He’s always been like that. That’s why he’s probably the best perimeter 1-on-1 defensive player in the NBA. I think they’re playing a tit-for-tat game, but Kobe is the best.”

UltimA
05-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Key Matchup I: Bryant vs. Artest and Shane Battier.

If they play defense and can stop Kobe, we win the series.

KSeal
05-02-2009, 05:55 PM

It sucks for Houston that Kobe has been resting and healing up for the past week while in the meantime Artest and Battier have been exhausting themselves chasing Roy around. Good luck Houston!

Roxsfan
05-02-2009, 07:18 PM
It sucks for Houston that Kobe has been resting and healing up for the past week while in the meantime Artest and Battier have been exhausting themselves chasing Roy around. Good luck Houston!

the rox played one more game than the lakers, get over yourself:rolleyes

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
05-02-2009, 07:25 PM

But the Lakers last game was on Monday . Full week of rest just practice. doesn't look good for Houston.

iggypop123
05-02-2009, 07:25 PM
the blazers were stupid not to run and gun against yao. he will get tired during this series and fade late

Roxsfan
05-02-2009, 07:26 PM
But the Lakers last game was on Monday . Full week of rest just practice. doesn't look good for Houston.

too much rest is not a good thing either bro.

Roxsfan
05-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Sweep!!!

keep dreaming. That sig pic is too big, like fat don't you think?

YellowFever
05-02-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm predicting 6 with about 3 really close games.

djohn2oo8
05-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Yellowfever keepin it realistic......To you other Laker fans, it won't be a sweep

KSeal
05-02-2009, 07:47 PM

You're such a dumbass...

Roxsfan
05-02-2009, 07:58 PM
You're such a dumbass...

fuck you.

BUMP
05-02-2009, 08:36 PM
*yawn* Do we really have to play this series?

SWEEP!!!

Killakobe81
05-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Lakers in 5 close games ...

nevetslc
05-03-2009, 01:36 AM
NBA 2009 Playoffs: Kobe Bryant vs Houston Rockets Preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTgeNV10Zws&fmt=22

Kobe Bryant- "Inch By Inch" (Inspirational Video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzrHadF_FUE&fmt=18

Ditty
05-03-2009, 02:30 AM
it will be exactly like the spurs and lakers series last year

rockets blow a 20 point lead in game 1

rockets lose by 30 in game 2

rockets win big in game 3

rockets get screwed by the refs in game 4

rockets blow a 10 point lead in game 5

another series that could of gone the other way

lefty
05-03-2009, 02:39 AM

Your " if " is so big I can't even read the rest of your post

Crabdribble
05-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Unless artest or battier go crazy on the offensive end ....rockets can do so little with their defense.

For some fucking reason rockets fans keep saying ohhh shane and ron are going to shut down kobe like they did with roy....mental issues thats all i have to say.

Matchman
05-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Unless artest or battier go crazy on the offensive end ....rockets can do so little with their defense.

For some fucking reason rockets fans keep saying ohhh shane and ron are going to shut down kobe like they did with roy....mental issues thats all i have to say.

we didnt shut down Roy and we still won :toast

DollarSlice
05-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Some news and notes from the Lakers practice yesterday (http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700036393&cid=playoff1)... they had a hard 3 hour practice... and Kobe said theres nothing to see between him and Artest, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on that.

GuerillaBlack
05-03-2009, 10:07 AM
I think the Rockets should change their name to the Charlotte Bobcats for a couple weeks. Maybe one week. They'd probably sweep the Lakers.

DaDakota
05-03-2009, 10:19 AM
This series decides who will be the NBA champion this year, whomever wins it, will win the title.

There are no other teams capable of beating either the Rockets or the Lakers in the playoffs.

DD

The Franchise
05-03-2009, 10:21 AM
I just want us to play our best basketball against them. I watched all four games this season and we sucked pretty badly in all but one of them. If we show up I think this will be a great series.

UltimA
05-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Your " if " is so big I can't even read the rest of your postIt's going to be a good series, Lakers won't be sweeping us.

It's going to depend on us containing Kobe and making sure someone like Odom doesn't get hot.

sook
05-03-2009, 02:06 PM
This series decides who will be the NBA champion this year, whomever wins it, will win the title.

There are no other teams capable of beating either the Rockets or the Lakers in the playoffs.

DD

get over yourself :lol

duncan228
05-03-2009, 03:16 PM
A couple from the OC Register's Lakers beat writer.

Expect Rockets to fizzle out (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/houston-lakers-fourth-2388992-rockets-yao)
The Lakers hold an overwhelming advantage in their second-round playoff series because their opponent simply cannot finish.
Kevin Ding
The Orange County Register

EL SEGUNDO – Think of the fourth quarter as the last leg of a race, mainly because Yao Ming is often too tired and winded to bring the baton home.

Then there's Ron Artest, who will invariably heave the baton toward the finish line from 3-point range in his oft-illogical way instead of advancing it closer to the goal. Inexperienced Aaron Brooks will take the baton, panic, rush and trip and forget to concentrate on taking it one step at a time. Meanwhile, Tracy McGrady is on the sidelines with ice on his knee after microfracture surgery, telling everyone around him that the Lakers are his pick to win the NBA championship.

That's what Houston brings into this second-round playoff series with the Lakers: a total lack of fourth-quarter poise, which makes it impossible to believe the Lakers will lose this series.

It's sort of sad, really, because the Rockets bring good intentions, effort and energy. Their defense is excellent, and Houston general manager Daryl Morey has assembled players who are outstanding at doing the little, team-oriented things that contribute to success.

Those qualities are why the Rockets were in position to compete with the Lakers entering the fourth quarter of all four regular-season games between the teams. In the two games played in Houston, the Rockets actually were leading.

And then came the final periods, which were more like ellipses for Houston with the way the Rockets just trailed off into nothingness …

The Lakers outscored Houston by an average of 33-20 in those fourth quarters, which is a landslide about much more than just Kobe Bryant being a Laker and a great closer. The Rockets had one last chance to rectify this and build some confidence for the postseason when they visited Staples Center on April 3 but walked away with their coach deflated by how his team turned into headless chickens in the face of the Lakers' extended defense instead of patiently letting designed pick-and-rolls develop.

"I was just disappointed with the way we played in the fourth quarter," Rick Adelman said then. "We just didn't play with the confidence and composure that you need to play with in the fourth quarter of a game."

Adelman also said this back then about the Lakers: "That is why they are a Finals team: In the fourth quarter they took control of all four games that we have played them."

So even though Houston might well be the second-best team in the Western Conference, the Lakers have little reason to fear they won't advance enroute to that trip to the NBA Finals that Adelman has already anointed for them.

Not that McGrady is very clutch given his 0-7 record in the playoffs, but he understands how stifled Houston's offense is now better than most. That's probably why McGrady told an Atlanta radio station during the first round that the Lakers would win the West, ignoring the fact that his Rockets were in line to play the Lakers in the second round.

Back in that April 3 game, Adelman tried to extend Yao's minutes because it was an important game with extra breathers built in for the ESPN telecast; it totally didn't work, with Yao too tired to give anything in the fourth quarter — not that his teammates had the calm to stop dribbling and look for him anyway.

It was the same sort of thing in Houston's most recent road game: Game 5 of the first round against Portland. The Rockets led, 68-64, early in the fourth and promptly allowed a 15-0 Trail Blazers run. Houston went seven consecutive possessions without scoring.

That's who the Rockets are, even after hiring Adelman as a supposedly offensive-minded coach. They finished in the league's lower third in assists and field-goal percentage despite having Mount Yao for a ski jump right next to the basket.

Phil Jackson won't double-team Yao nearly as much as Portland did last round, daring Yao to further these numbers: Houston went 32-4 when Yao had at least 20 points and 7-0 when he had at least 30.

It's hard to fathom Yao going for 30 when he averaged just 15.8 against the Lakers in the regular season. But Houston's best chance is to try by giving the big man the ball 25-30 times per game and just hope he falls forward toward the finish line.

Artest has improved his scoring the past 21/2 months, yet he remains a total loose cannon on offense. Brooks has a lot of promise and fight in him but can't be expected to have the vision and composure yet after just half a season as a starter.

So the fourth quarters will keep coming. Bryant will narrow his eyes into that tunnel-vision mode of his. And no one in Rockets red will even see the light at the end.

3 Keys to the Lakers-Rockets series (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/percent-season-series-2389006-houston-foul)
By Kevin Ding

1. Bombs away: The Lakers' swarming defense can be vulnerable to the open 3-point shot. The Rockets set their franchise record in the regular season with 37.5 percent from deep — followed by 37.1 percent against Portland, a Houston record for a six-game series. Aaron Brooks made 13 of 29 (44.8 percent). That said, the Lakers blitzed Utah with 44.6 percent on 3-pointers last round — led by Shannon Brown's 6-for-9 series.

2. Hands off: Unlike Utah coach Jerry Sloan's philosophy to knock Kobe Bryant around via foul as much as necessary (7.8 foul shots per game last round), Houston will endeavor to guard Bryant without fouling. When the Lakers went 4 for 4 vs. Houston in the regular season, Bryant still averaged 6.3 foul shots; elite Rockets defenders Shane Battier and Ron Artest must do better this series.

3. Fatigue factor: The series will be heavy in work and travel, going every other day until Game 7. Pau Gasol has looked a little limp lately after so many late-season minutes — and after his long Olympic summer, to boot. Yao Ming, who played less but had host responsibilities during the Beijing Olympics, has chronic trouble with conditioning and is often visibly winded. His 77 regular-season games were his most since 2004-05.

duncan228
05-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Preview: (1) Lakers vs. (5) Rockets (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Preview_1_Lakers_vs_5_Rockets.html)
Express-News

Season series: Lakers won 4-0

Key matchup: Kobe Bryant vs. Ron Artest. Artest believes he can lock up any player, no matter how talented, but he discovered March 11, when he taunted Bryant, that he is helpless against the game’s most focused offensive genius. Bryant scored 18 fourth-quarter points on him in that game. If Artest will shut up and defend, and Shane Battier can keep Bryant in check when Artest needs a rest, the Lakers will have to find other ways to score.

Lakers can win if: Andrew Bynum can muscle up on Yao Ming and make scoring a challenge for the league’s tallest player. Bynum should be fresh enough to run with Yao, and he’s long enough to make Yao’s jumper a little tougher than usual.

Rockets can win if: Aaron Brooks can make Derek Fisher look old and in the way. Brooks is younger and quicker than Fisher. If he can turn the point guard matchup into a big win for the Rockets, they will have a chance at a big series upset.

Prediction: Lakers in 6

- Mike Monroe

duncan228
05-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Houston at Los Angeles Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009050413&prov=ap)
Game info: 10:30 pm EDT Mon May 4, 2009
TV: TNT
By Bernie Wilson

Kobe Bryant missed practice Sunday because of a sore throat, which raised few worries among the Los Angeles Lakers.

If anything, it might just mean a little less trash talk between Bryant and Ron Artest when the Lakers host the Houston Rockets in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals on Monday night.

“We know when it’s game time he’s going to come out and be ready to play no matter what’s going on,” teammate Shannon Brown said. “It’s definitely going to take more than a sore throat. “He’s got to be missing some limbs for him not to come out there and be ready to play the game.”

The top-seeded Lakers were off a week after eliminating the Utah Jazz in five games and waiting for the fifth-seeded Rockets to finish off Portland in six games. Houston advanced to the second round for the first time since 1997.

The most intriguing matchup, of course, will be Bryant, the reigning league MVP, against Artest and Shane Battier.

Bryant and Artest shoved and jawed their way through a 102-96 Lakers victory at Houston on March 11.

“It wasn’t much of a battle,” Bryant said after scoring 37 points that night. “I kicked his (butt) tonight.”

Los Angeles won the season series 4-0, dominating the fourth quarter of each game. Bryant averaged 28.3 points.

“I can see us playing better. The first time we played them T-Mac was hurt,” Artest said, referring to Tracy McGrady. “One time we played them at home I didn’t play. The next time we played them in L.A. we just got rid of Rafer (Alston), a new team. The last time we played them in L.A., that was a good game. We finally had our team, but they still got us in the fourth quarter.”

The Rockets were all but written off when McGrady had season-ending knee surgery in February.

“I think we’ll do it now,” Artest said. “It wasn’t only the Lakers, it was also Memphis and Minnesota, Dallas, Chicago where we didn’t execute in the fourth.”

In a recent TV interview, Artest called Portland guard Brandon Roy “the best player I’ve played against.” Better than Bryant and Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James? Artest reiterated his initial statement.

On Saturday, Bryant remained relatively quiet about playing against Artest.

“It’s fun,” Bryant said. “He’s obviously a great defensive player so I look forward to it.”

The Rockets talked about their late-game struggles against the Lakers.

“They really took it to us in the fourth quarter,” coach Rick Adelman said. “We were in every game at the end of three and the fourth quarter they dominated. They really turned it up a notch. Usually in all four games Kobe really got aggressive. So it’s pretty constant.

“You have to make him work for everything. You’re not going to stop him, you’re not going to shut him down, but you’ve got to make him work. That’s the advantage we have, throw both guys (Battier and Artest) at him and maybe we can wear him down a little bit.

“It’s a team thing. The team has to be in position to help.”

On the flip side, the Lakers had three second-half letdowns against the Jazz, including blowing a 13-point third-quarter lead in Game 3 and losing by two points. Even in the clincher, with a number of subs in, they let the Jazz shave a 22-point lead down to six before winning 107-96.

Derek Fisher, for one, is sure the Lakers won’t be overconfident and complacent.

“I just think the way our season ended last season, just all puts us in the same boat of not wanting our season to end where we lost our last game,” Fisher said, referring to losing the NBA finals in six games to the Celtics. “So even if there are moments of complacency or where it appears there’s not a sense of urgency, we believe strongly and collectively that that’s not the case.

Andrew Bynum, the Lakers’ former starting center, could see more playing time to help defend Yao Ming. He played just 15 minutes per game against Utah as he tried to regain form following a long absence because of a knee injury. His performances were subpar.

“I think he’s really revved up for this,” coach Phil Jackson said. “He’s excited about it and we hope that he stays under control and remembers his principles about defense and rebounding, and the offense will just come.”

Yao’s pumped, too. Asked if he likes the Rockets being big underdogs, he asked, “What is an underdog?”

When told it meant people expect them to lose, Yao said: “I’m used to that. Don’t worry about it. I’m used to it.”

Notes

Rockets:

C Yao Ming scored 23 points on Wednesday, but was held scoreless in the fourth quarter. ... The Rockets were outscored, 30-14, in the final frame. ... G Kyle Lowry chipped in 15 points off the bench.

Lakers:

Lakers coach Phil Jackson is breaking with his playoff tradition of wearing the most recent championship ring from his collection of nine NBA titles. "I'm tired of wearing that ring," he said about his 2002 bauble. "I've been wearing it for seven years now." ... G Jordan Farmar played despite tendinitis in his right pinky toe.

Team Stat Leaders

Kobe Bryant LAL 26.8

Rebounds
Yao Ming Hou 9.9
Pau Gasol LAL 9.6

Assists
Tracy McGrady Hou 5.0
Kobe Bryant LAL 4.9

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

Houston 53-29 2nd Southwest / 5th West 98.4 94.4 Road 20-21 Lost 1 6-4

Los Angeles 65-17 1st Pacific / 1st West 106.9 99.3 Home 36-5 Won 2 7-3

duncan228
05-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Lakers expect to be sore against Houston (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-series-one-2389959-bynum-rondo)
The Lakers open Round 2 against Houston concerned about a sore-throated Kobe Bryant. By the end of this encounter, they likely will be sporting other ailing body parts.
Jeff Miller

EL SEGUNDO – They need this about as much as they need their collective intestines tied.

After six days to get healthy, the most important Laker of them all got sick. If these were the NHL playoffs, Kobe Bryant would be listed as day-to-day with upper-body scratchiness.

As it is, the Lakers announced that their sole reason to be considered Finals worthy has a sore throat. He missed practice Sunday, yet still is expected to report Monday for Game 1 against Houston.

Exactly how much of Bryant arrives at Staples Center will determine the direction this series takes initially.

"I haven't seen him today," teammate Derek Fisher said, "so I don't know where he is, or how many ends things are coming out of."

We will pause briefly now while you attempt to rid your mind of that image. Good luck.

The Lakers don't need this, not now, not against the Rockets. Instead, they need a healthy Bryant, a still-connected Lamar Odom and a rediscovered Andrew Bynum. Wouldn't hurt having all those sore ankles smiling again, either.

Like anyone with a measurable pulse, we don't expect the Lakers to lose this series. But we do expect victory to come only after some visible bruising.

"It will be physical," Fisher promised. "I think we understand each playoff series has a personality of its own."

If that's the case, the Lakers' meeting with Utah was Al Gore. This meeting with Houston, relatively speaking, could be all-gore.

The Rockets have wound-up energy in Shane Battier and Luis Scola. They have Yao Ming, who is large enough to have his own congressman. And they have Ron Artest, who can be so prickly that cactuses avoid touching him.

Artest is one of those classic, annoying athletes, the kind you hate when he's on the other team but, when he's on your team, you still hate him, just not as much.

This matchup could be a second-round doozie, round being the optimum word since it's usually associated with boxing. Or wrestling. Or MMA.

Mixed martial hoops, that's what we might be viewing during the next several days as the Rockets and Lakers exchange more than just baskets.

"They have a lot of collective muscle," Pau Gasol said of Houston's front line. "You expect it to be a physical series."

This, unfortunately, isn't always the best thing for Gasol, whose strength isn't his strength.

But he should receive a little more support from fellow 7-footer Bynum in this series, and the Lakers already have beaten the Rockets four times this season, so what's four more?

"I think he's really revved up," Phil Jackson said of Bynum. "He's ready for this. I hope he remembers his principles."

This was a polite way for the coach to say, "I hope Bynum is smart enough not to be called for his first foul walking across the parking lot and his second while having his ankles taped."

The Lakers will need Bynum, particularly if, as forecast, things become a little edgy. Almost has to happen, right? The Lakers are lagging behind in these playoffs in terms of angry moments.

In other opening-round action, Orlando's Dwight Howard tried to part one of Samuel Dalembert's eyebrows using his elbow.

Tony Parker was permitted to so freely approach the basket in one game that Dallas' Erick Dampier guaranteed he would "put him on his back" in the next.

Then there was Rajon Rondo, the Boston Mangler. In one game, Rondo advanced so aggressively on Chicago's Brad Miller that the two were – albeit briefly – considered "life partners."

In another game, Rondo cheated on Miller with Kirk Hinrich, grabbing Hinrich and swinging him into the scorer's table. At the time, Hinrich already had stitches over his eye because of an earlier meeting with Rondo.

Now, don't confuse Rondo with Celtics teammate Ray Allen. It was Allen who, near the end of the regular season, expressed his disappointment with Cleveland's Anderson Varejao by executing a move we'll call "the nutcracker."

This one didn't feature a dancing sugar plum fairy, although we're pretty sure Varejao still will be feeling its effects by next Christmas.

By comparison, the Lakers' first-round series against the Jazz was airbrushed. For one thing, it was flagrant foul-free, which this time of year is as unusual as Norco being flagrant odor-free.

The mood likely will darken at some point during this round, and there's a pretty good chance Artest will be involved. Look for Sasha Vujacic's participation, as well. His style could get under the skin of an armored truck.

Bryant also probably will be in the middle of things because he almost always is in the middle of things with this team.

Like tonight, when his sore throat will be more significant than the Lakers' healthy anything else.