PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs: Delaying The Decline

duncan228
05-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Spurs: Delaying the decline (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Delaying_the_decline.html)
Jeff McDonald

Eleven summers ago, Tim Duncan arrived in San Antonio, not quite fresh off the boat from the Virgin Islands, but close to it.

He came to the Spurs long on promise but short on expectations. For instance, he did not expect to win an NBA championship in his second season.

“There are a lot of guys around the league who have played for years and years and years and haven't won a title,” Duncan said. “I walk in here my second year and win one. After that, everything else has been kind of a bonus.”

By the end of next month, it will have been 10 years since Duncan lifted his first Larry O'Brien Trophy. His arrival served as the starting gun for one of the great runs in American professional sports.

In the decade-long interim, Duncan has helped add three more title trophies to the Spurs' collection, amassing bookends on top of bookends. On his watch, the Spurs built a quasi-dynasty, becoming a late-June playoff fixture that has spawned many imitators but no match.

Which is why the dull quiet around San Antonio today is deafening.

The Spurs are out of the playoffs, having been unceremoniously dumped in the first round by Dallas last week. It was their earliest playoff exit since 2000, when Duncan was shelved with a knee injury. It took just five games to complete.

The premature ouster did more than just put an inconsistent and injury-marred season out of its misery. It sent the Spurs headlong into an offseason that should not only be their longest in recent memory, but also their most uncertain.

“We're going to do what's necessary to avoid having a lull,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “We wouldn't want to have a situation where we go right down into the toilet. We want to keep winning.”

In that, the Spurs are looking to delay a decline that seems as inevitable as gravity.

NBA history is littered with the carcasses of great champions that grew old and passed on, to be replaced by fresher, younger challengers. Eventually, there will be a headstone in this graveyard for the Spurs as well.

“It's a fine line between winning and losing,” point guard Tony Parker said. “I think with the character of this team, and our front office making good decisions, we'll be right back.”

It will be an uphill battle, for sure. The Spurs are fighting time itself, and so far, time is undefeated.

Duncan, though still an elite big man, is 33 and battling knee issues. In addition to his 12 NBA regular seasons, he has logged 160 career postseason games — carrying the equivalent of two extra seasons on his legs.

Manu Ginobili will turn 32 before the start of his next training camp. Thanks to several summers of deep playoff ball compounded by international competition, his odometer is about to turn over as well.

Ginobili missed 43 games and all of the playoffs this season plagued with a variety of ankle woes. Doctors say his latest ailment — a stress fracture in his right fibula — will heal. No amount of medical science, however, can make Ginobili 27 again.

The surest All-Star on the roster is Parker, the 26-year-old blur who, with his best season as a pro, boosted the Spurs to a 54-28 record and a Southwest Division title this season.

The cracks in the foundation are evident. The Spurs cling to the hope that with the right amount of spackle, they might patch things together for one more run at greatness.

“I don't think at all we are over,” Parker said. “I think with a healthy Manu Ginobili, and a couple changes in our role players, we will be right back for another run.”

If there was a moment during the Spurs' truncated postseason that seemed to symbolize the NBA's new world order, it came in Game 4 at Dallas.

Ryan Hollins, a third-year center who wasn't old enough to drive when Duncan won his first championship, finished a follow-up slam over the Spurs' Hall-of-Famer-to-be. He punctuated the dunk by shaking his fist in Duncan's general direction.

Hollins later apologized, but the image was indelible: The impudent young buck taunting the old, hobbling champion. There is a changing of the guard coming, if the guard hasn't been changed already.

Faced with this reality, Duncan will do what he has done for a decade of summers now. He will pick himself up and he will strike out again next year, in search of another bonus trophy.

And if this truly is the beginning of the end of the Spurs' golden age, well, it's been quite a ride.

“We've been blessed over the years to have a team that's right in contention, and that's where you want to be every year,” Duncan said. “Being at the top, and being in that area is an unbelievable feat.”

Vinnie_Johnson
05-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Good read. The question is will they put on some patches and make another run or make some bigger changes?

MannyIsGod
05-03-2009, 12:32 AM
what a worthless article. The Spurs want to keep winning but are getting old. No shit?

mattyc
05-03-2009, 02:25 AM
what a worthless article. The Spurs want to keep winning but are getting old. No shit?
Agreed. These doom and gloom articles are rubbish - players age. What's he expect us to do? Just pull out players like Wade and LeBron at pick 29 in the draft?

Hollins is young and shook his fist at TD who is old. Wowee.

kace
05-03-2009, 03:15 AM

i just can't believe the weakness of most articles in MySA, from him and Harvey. just amazing !!

timvp
05-03-2009, 03:15 AM
:sleep

I miss Ludden.

baseline bum
05-03-2009, 03:28 AM
Shouldn't McDonald be laid off for a few months or something? Is the Express News going to write the same article every day until the draft?

Spurs Brazil
05-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Another patethic job by McDonald. Fire this guy

mattyc
05-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Someone from SpursTalk should get the gig, really.

Mel_13
05-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Spurs: Delaying the decline (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Delaying_the_decline.html)
Jeff McDonald

Eleven summers ago, Tim Duncan arrived in San Antonio,

2009-1997=12

McDonald=Fail

TheProfessor
05-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Which is why the dull quiet around San Antonio today is deafening.

In that, the Spurs are looking to delay a decline that seems as inevitable as gravity.

NBA history is littered with the carcasses of great champions that grew old and passed on, to be replaced by fresher, younger challengers. Eventually, there will be a headstone in this graveyard for the Spurs as well.

It will be an uphill battle, for sure. The Spurs are fighting time itself, and so far, time is undefeated.

The cracks in the foundation are evident. The Spurs cling to the hope that with the right amount of spackle, they might patch things together for one more run at greatness.
:lol What a hack.

Mel_13
05-03-2009, 07:49 AM
:lol What a hack.

McDonald should compete here:

http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/

DPG21920
05-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Yes, but eventually people saying the Spurs are too old will be correct. You cannot escape age, no one does. The key will be not to expect magic from a front office and not to expect a championship every year.

If in the next two years the FO can make some moves to give the Spurs a legit shot at another ring while Duncan is a Spur, I will be happy.

Fabbs
05-03-2009, 09:37 AM
What's old and tired is not McDonalds questions -at least he asked them- but Duncan and Parkers cliche answers.
A healthy Manu. Duh, isn't that exactly what you said before the beggining of this past year?

“I don't think at all we are over,” Parker said. “I think with a healthy Manu Ginobili, and a couple changes in our role players, we will be right back for another run.”

I sure hope Parker is talking about Finhog and Bonner as opposed to GHill and Mase who did fine before Wino screwed with their roles. Has any media member put the question to Wino as to why he screwed GHill and did the idiotic experiment with Mase at point guard?

Whisky Dog
05-03-2009, 09:45 AM
That was the best article I've ever read. Filled with tons of original content. Fuck you guys.

TheProfessor
05-03-2009, 11:57 AM
McDonald should compete here:

http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/
:lmao "It was a dark and stormy off-season..."

SenorSpur
05-03-2009, 01:14 PM
The first evidence of that decline comes from not only the 1st round ouster, at the hands of the dreaded Mavs, but also in the Spurs defensive efficiency. Too many lost leads, too many easy baskets for the opposition and too many points given up on a game-by-game basis.

Das Texan
05-03-2009, 02:28 PM
The Spurs just need to revoke McDonald's Press Pass.

We havent done shit since he arrived and his crap is beyond useless at this point. (Not that it was ever good in the first place)

EricB
05-03-2009, 02:47 PM
The Spurs just need to revoke McDonald's Press Pass.

We havent done shit since he arrived and his crap is beyond useless at this point. (Not that it was ever good in the first place)

:lol

I highly doubt he has a hand in the success of the basketball team.

alchemist
05-03-2009, 03:36 PM
pretty original article, Spurs get old while the rest of the league has a case of Benjamin Button.

Das Texan
05-03-2009, 04:10 PM
:lol

I highly doubt he has a hand in the success of the basketball team.

mcdonald isnt a winner and doesnt hang around winners. Kinda like Arod in baseball.

EricB
05-03-2009, 04:21 PM
mcdonald isnt a winner and doesnt hang around winners. Kinda like Arod in baseball.

Or Drew Gooden :wakeup

50Bestspurever
05-03-2009, 10:36 PM

What a worthless post.

TheProfessor
05-03-2009, 11:07 PM
What a worthless post.
Hey, it's Jeff McDonald :lol

The Truth #6
05-04-2009, 12:13 AM
We were spoiled by Ludden. He's probably one of the better basketball journalists working today. Like the team, our journalism is in decline. However, I do think people pile on McDonald a bit too much. I don't expect brilliance from sports journalism. Some insights now and then would be nice, but he's covering the most secretive franchise in sports so it's not surprising.

703 Spurz
05-04-2009, 12:52 PM
2009-1997=12

McDonald=Fail

This summer hasn't arrived yet quizkid so yes, it's 11 summer's ago

polandprzem
05-04-2009, 01:00 PM

I miss Ludden.

You all know what?

I think timvp got a special automatic sender here at ST. On every thread with McDonalds article it's sends

I miss Ludden.

Mel_13
05-04-2009, 01:12 PM
This summer hasn't arrived yet quizkid so yes, it's 11 summer's ago

If you say so genius. If I'm reading an article in April, 2009 and someone refers to eleven summers ago, I assume the writer means 1998. I suppose it is possible to read it your way.

Someone with such a fine attention to detail, however, should know that the "s" in the word summers in your post indicates the plural. Your use of the apostrophe would indicate the possessive and is incorrect. Thought you would like to know.