2008-09 Statistics
PPG 9,9 RPG 6,60 APG 4,5 EFF + 15,38
Born: 19/02/1980
Height: 6-8 / 2,03
Weight: 218 lbs. / 98,9 kg.
College: Florida
Years Pro: 8
http://www.nba.com/media/act_mike_miller.jpg

Last year of his contract $9.750,000 so it'd keep the 2010 intact.

45 bank shot
05-03-2009, 08:59 AM
another one dimensional 3pt shooter? pass
just take a look at RMJ

mountainballer
05-03-2009, 09:56 AM
wow, you compare him to Mason?
not that Mason doesn't have any qualities, but Miller would be about three times the help that Mason is. and different to Mason, Miller CAN also play some back up point.

venitian navigator
05-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Bowen + Oberto + Bonner for him works...(it would be Bonner for Miller, with cut of Bowen and Oberto).

I don't see Miller on the plans of a young team like the Wolves...and He's a good scorer and rebounder...

mattyc
05-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Maybe if he got a haircut.

BWS-1994
05-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Based from Millers stat sheet this season, he can get a consistent amount of rebs and assists.

ss1986v2
05-10-2009, 12:08 AM
ive had miller in the "we could do worse" category for a couple of seasons now. hes 2010 friendly, can really stroke the three, rebounds well for his position, is a solid ball handler, and is no worse defensively than most of our wing rotation. hes had some injury issues in the past (back issues iirc), but hes averaged about 73 games played over the past 5 season.

again, not clamoring for miller, but we could do worse...

Chieflion
05-10-2009, 12:42 AM
That is the guy we want if Mahinmi is healthy, Kurt Thomas can still play, and if Tiago Splitter comes along.

Bruno
05-10-2009, 05:58 AM
If Spurs stick with the 2010 plan, Mike Miller is maybe the best they can do.

Miller for Bowen + Oberto is a quite nice deal for both team.
Spurs like Miller and tried to get him during the 08 trade deadline. Miller wouldn't be a that bad starting SF for this team.
Wolves will open more than $5M in cap space. This cap space could help them to sign a major FA or to help some teams to fight against the luxury tax.

Mike Miller is one of the players with the most chances of being traded to SA.

Brazil
05-10-2009, 07:55 AM

scary perspective

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Mike Miller would be an extremely nice upgrade at the SF. He can shoot the 3 big time, get to the rim pretty well. He has nice handles and although he is not the best defender, he works his butt off on that end.

He would be a massive upgrade over Finley and like Bruno says, he fits the 2010 plan while upgrading significantly. This type of scenario is a dream for the Spurs :tu

Another guy I am extremely interested in as a bit of a project from the Timberwolves is Brewer. I know he had a bad injury and I doubt the Spurs would be able to pry him away, but I still think he has it in him to be a top flight perimeter defender once he learns the game.

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Oh yeah, by the way:

Parker, Ginobili, Miller, Duncan, ??? with the MLE to spend...Not a bad start to the off season if this happens :hat

Spurs Brazil
05-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Oh yeah, by the way:

Parker, Ginobili, Miller, Duncan, ??? with the MLE to spend...Not a bad start to the off season if this happens :hat

We could trade Oberto + Bruce for him

Sign McDyess for 1year full MLE

Re-sign Bruce for the minimum

McDyess - Thomas - Ian
TD - Bonner
Miller - Bruce
Manu - Mason Jr
TP - Hill

I think it's a good team for 2009 and keep the 2010 plan intact

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 10:19 AM
We could trade Oberto + Bruce for him

Sign McDyess for 1year full MLE

Re-sign Bruce for the minimum

McDyess - Thomas - Ian
TD - Bonner
Miller - Bruce
Manu - Mason Jr
TP - Hill

I think it's a good team for 2009 and keep the 2010 plan intact

If this happens, I would be absolutely stunned at the Spurs FO no matter what happens. This scenario would be almost a perfect off season.

Spurs Brazil
05-10-2009, 10:21 AM
If this happens, I would be absolutely stunned at the Spurs FO no matter what happens. This scenario would be almost a perfect off season.

I just don't know what would be our cap situation

I hope Finley retire to give us flexibility

DPG21920
05-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Only problem is: If the Spurs essentially ship out 2 players (Bruce and Oberto) while taking in 2 players (Miller and McDyess) the payroll will shoot up from ~71 to ~77M with only 11 roster spots filled.

tp2021
05-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I had no idea Miller was so tall.

pad300
05-10-2009, 02:02 PM
If Spurs stick with the 2010 plan, Mike Miller is maybe the best they can do.

Miller for Bowen + Oberto is a quite nice deal for both team.
Spurs like Miller and tried to get him during the 08 trade deadline. Miller wouldn't be a that bad starting SF for this team.
Wolves will open more than $5M in cap space. This cap space could help them to sign a major FA or to help some teams to fight against the luxury tax.

You think this is a good deal for both teams? SA likes it, sure (although it adds to their payroll). But why do the wolves do it? They are at a $51 Million payroll with 11 contracts including Miller. Who are they going to spend that salary cap space on this summer? They clearly lose on the talent side. What's the point for them?

Bruno
05-10-2009, 02:22 PM
But why do the wolves do it?

1. They save $5M.
2. They can try to get some RFA like Marvin Williams or Raymond Felton.
3. They can do trades like Sonics did with Suns and Kurt Thomas.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-10-2009, 02:26 PM
In the scenario mentioned above, would that be a case where the Wolves end up cutting Bowen, or would they keep him?

Bruno
05-10-2009, 02:35 PM
In the scenario mentioned above, would that be a case where the Wolves end up cutting Bowen, or would they keep him?

They would waive both Bowen and Oberto to save money.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Ah.
So then it would be quite easy for the Spurs to re-sign Bowen, would it not?

tp2021
05-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Assuming Pop wants him back and Bruce wants to come back.

benefactor
05-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Assuming Pop wants him back and Bruce wants to come back.
After what happened this year...why wouldn't he? You just play him limited minutes and dust him off as the designated defender for the playoffs. He and Miller could actually play together at the 2/3 in situations where Bowen would be needed for his defense.

I'm all for bringing him in. If we did that and a couple of the young players panned out I think we could still be competitive next season.

tp2021
05-11-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm not saying he won't be competitive. I'm saying Pop stopped wanting to play Bruce this season to go towards a more offensive approach to the game. Maybe Pop doesn't see him as useful to this team anymore, or maybe Bruce doesn't want to be a part of this team anymore.

Ditty
05-11-2009, 01:50 AM
how bout no

benefactor
05-11-2009, 08:07 AM
how bout no
Ariza is staying in LA. Deal with it.

mountainballer
05-11-2009, 08:28 AM
You think this is a good deal for both teams? SA likes it, sure (although it adds to their payroll). But why do the wolves do it? They are at a $51 Million payroll with 11 contracts including Miller. Who are they going to spend that salary cap space on this summer? They clearly lose on the talent side. What's the point for them?

they might want to become a player in this years free agency. currently they are about 6 million under the cap, so they can't offer significantly more than any MLE team. but if they dump another 5 million, they will be.
but I agree, the point for them isn't that great without some more teasers or more cap relieve or money. it's not that they are in troubles right now and Miller's contract expires 2010 anyhow. they might even want to check, if he fits better next season. it's not out of any question, that they also think of re signing him 2010, if he agrees to a reasonably priced contract, he will be just 30 next year and could play a veteran leader role for many more years.
so IMO a trade before the 2010 deadline seems pretty unlikely, especially to the Spurs, who can't offer much. maybe there is a chance if they are willing to swallow a dead meat contract, like Madsen and send something useful for compensation.
a deal of Mason+Fab+Bruce for Miller+Madsen.
I guess now they listen. they still dump 4.4 million immediately and get a somehow useful rotation player, who compensates a bit for the loss of shooting ability from Miller.

should the Spurs do this? sure, not even hesitate for a second. Miller is about 10 times as valuable as Mason.
the great thing about a Miller acquisition would be, that other than many of the discussed options (like VC, Sjax) he doesn't need to be 1st, 2nd or 3rd option to be effective. and his size and versatility would allow to play him in many different line ups. even small ball PF isn't impossible.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-11-2009, 08:47 AM
I like Miller, but I doubt the Spurs would be frontrunners if he's on the block. We can't offer the Wolves much more than cap relief, however there are a few teams who can make a better offer than us. Say, Minny only want cap relief and don't care about getting equal talent ( which is the only case in which we have a chance to trade ), then they could do much better with the expiring partially guaranteed contract of Jerry Stackhouse for example.

It seems like we could get him ( or other similar players ) only if we take back some bad contracts, anything else would be a master stroke by the FO if they manage to pull it ( Bowen + Oberto for Miller ).

Ditty
05-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Ariza is staying in LA. Deal with it.

probably :bang but rather have iverson then this guy

benefactor
05-11-2009, 01:04 PM
probably :bang but rather have iverson then this guy
Why is that?

Ditty
05-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Why is that?

i never liked miller since he left orlando

i admit i rather take him right now over mason but i think our biggest need if the spurs are going with offense now then they would go with allen even if i would hate him to be here also

still i have heard that ariza is on the top of the spurs list this summer i really hope the lakers cant afford him which most likely they wont so i still believe in ariza to come :flag:

benefactor
05-11-2009, 06:34 PM
i never liked miller since he left orlando

i admit i rather take him right now over mason but i think our biggest need if the spurs are going with offense now then they would go with allen even if i would hate him to be here also

still i have heard that ariza is on the top of the spurs list this summer i really hope the lakers cant afford him which most likely they wont so i still believe in ariza to come :flag:
You would take Iverson over Miller?

God help us.

Marcus Bryant
05-11-2009, 06:44 PM
The Spurs will need a 3 since I don't expect them to bring Udoka back. Dealing Miller for Oberto and Bowen makes sense for Minnesota as that would save them $4 mil immediately. Miller isn't going to make them a playoff team so the Wolves could very well be interested in such a deal.

Adding Miller and McDyess to a Spurs team with a healthy Manu, healthy TD, and Parker would be an immediate improvement. Miller rebounds well from the 3 spot and shoots the rock well. Yes, last year was a down year for him, but he still scored 10 and rebounded 6 and assisted 4 a night. I'd say he would have somewhat better stats in SA, at least for his FG% with the looks he'd get in SA.

As Bruno pointed out, the Spurs have had interest in Miller before. Plus, there would be no commitment to him past 2009-10. This is definitely a trade that should interest both teams.

And the Spurs would still have enough expiring contracts to use to find another advantageous trade.

DPG21920
05-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Do you think the Spurs would go that far into lux tax to get him and McDyess? I do not.

Artest93
05-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Spurs need Ben Gordon, or Jamal Crawford

Marcus Bryant
05-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Do you think the Spurs would go that far into lux tax to get him and McDyess? I do not.

How far? They have enough space to use their MLE.

DPG21920
05-11-2009, 08:49 PM
How far? They have enough space to use their MLE.

Lets assume the Luxury tax is at 71M. Spurs, with 11 players currently under contract are at 70.3M. If they trade Bowen+Oberto for Miller they add 1M to that total and lose a player.

So now they would be at 71M with 10 players. So now any part of the MLE they use will count as luxury tax dollar-for-dollar. Assuming McDyess commands the full MLE, that would be ~5.5M paid in luxury tax + ~3M profit sharing gone for a total of 8.5 total cost.

That is a lot. Correct me if I am wrong. That would only be 11 players under contract as well.

spursfan1000
05-11-2009, 08:58 PM
I was hoping we could get Brandon Roy...

montgod
05-11-2009, 09:11 PM

I don't think they would either.

The biggest problem is that McDyess shouldn't play starter minutes. He just isn't up to being a full time starter which was evident when he played with Detroit the last part of this year. Is he still a beast and would I still want him on this team? Yes, but not with starter minutes until the end of the year or in the playoffs.

Ditty
05-11-2009, 09:17 PM
You would take Iverson over Miller?

God help us.

:toast

screw miller

angelbelow
05-11-2009, 09:22 PM
miller is a pretty good hard nose player. i would slap the "pitbull" label on him that kenny smith uses. but he may be out of our price range.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm jumping onto the Miller-trade bandwagon.

EricB
05-12-2009, 12:17 AM
choker in the playoffs.

Not interested.

MaNu4Tres
05-12-2009, 12:22 AM
choker in the playoffs.

Not interested.

How many playoff games has he played in?

benefactor
05-12-2009, 05:40 AM
choker in the playoffs.

Not interested.
It's pretty hard to make a fair assessment about this when he has never played on a team that made it out of the first round...and all of it came his first five years in the league.

mountainballer
05-12-2009, 08:15 AM
choker in the playoffs.

Not interested.

oh, what sublime insight.

well, in fact he played 5 PO series, 2 were decent, 3 not so much. like 2004. who did he have to deal with. oh, Bruce Bowen at his best.
or 2006, when he was matched up with Josh Howard or Adrian Griffin.
well, how big is the chance, that with this Spurs team, he would be guarded by the other teams Bruce Bowen?

45 bank shot
05-13-2009, 06:36 PM
wow, you compare him to Mason?
not that Mason doesn't have any qualities, but Miller would be about three times the help that Mason is. and different to Mason, Miller CAN also play some back up point.

I beg to differ. Whenz the last time Mike miller contributed in the playoffs?
Whenz the last time Mike miller played PG?
At least mason was shooting pretty during the Reg season.

05-13-2009, 11:07 PM
so the spurs will replace one 3pt shooting small forward who is mediocre at defense with another 3pt shooting small forward with mediocre defense? and pay him $6 million more? and force ginobili to guard melo, bryant, james, pierce, and roy?

spurs need to refortify their defense and that begins with a solid perimeter defender.

angelbelow
05-14-2009, 03:16 AM
choker in the playoffs.

Not interested.

because everyone else is clutch in the playoffs right?

benefactor
05-14-2009, 01:12 PM
I beg to differ. Whenz the last time Mike miller contributed in the playoffs?
Whenz the last time Mike miller played PG?
At least mason was shooting pretty during the Reg season.
You obviously haven't watched him very much. He is a very good ball handler for a guy that is 6'8...far and away better than Mason. And as far as the playoffs go, he has very little experience...as in he has never played more than 4 games in any single run. But if you'd take some time to go look up his stats in the playoffs you would find that he actually had several good seasons in the short time he was there.

Seriously people...stay out of the thread if you don't know what the hell you are talking about. It's annoying.