PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Brown to miss up to two weeks with bad back

Kori Ellis
03-24-2005, 01:16 AM
Spurs notebook: Brown to miss up to two weeks with bad back
Web Posted: 03/24/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032405.4C.BKNspurs.notebook.16a460326.html

INDIANAPOLIS — Two days after announcing Tim Duncan could be sidelined until close to the playoffs, the Spurs learned they also will be without their top reserve for a while.

Devin Brown is expected to miss 10 days to two weeks because of inflammation around a nerve root in his lower back, coach Gregg Popovich said.

An MRI taken Wednesday morning revealed the problem. Brown is taking medication to reduce the swelling and will be re-evaluated in a few days to determine a more accurate timeframe for his return.

Brown, who said he has had similar trouble the previous two seasons, injured his back while warming up before Sunday's game in Detroit. The team sent him home Tuesday.

"It's kind of weird for a strong, young kid like that," Popovich said. "All of a sudden his back does that — it's kind of a surprise.

"It's really unfortunate for him and for us because he was starting to play real well."

Brown averaged 18.3 points and 5.7 rebounds in his last three games, two of which he played hurt.

Also back at the ranch: Duncan spent time in the pool and a hyperbaric chamber Wednesday while rehabbing his sprained right ankle, but he isn't walking on the foot, Popovich said.

"He's getting on it as little as possible," Popovich said. "The swelling has gone down a little bit from the beginning, but it's still pretty big."

Popovich initially thought Duncan had broken his foot. Veteran official Danny Crawford, who was working Sunday's game against Detroit, told Brent Barry it was the worst sprain he has seen.

"When you've had that injury, you know what you have to go through to get yourself back to health," said Barry, who missed eight games in the 1998-99 season with a sprained right ankle. "And it just isn't fun."

Moving up: Indiana guard Reggie Miller became the 13th player in NBA history to score 25,000 points Wednesday.

Miller, who recently announced he is retiring after this season, made two free throws with 2:08 remaining in the first quarter.

"Twenty-five thousand points," Pacers forward Stephen Jackson said, "means you've had a hell of a career."

Brighter days ahead? After serving a 30-game suspension for his role in fighting with fans in the Nov. 19 brawl in Detroit, Jackson has started to play up to the potential that led Indiana to give him a six-year contract worth more than $40 million.

Jackson averaged 23.0 points in the 11 games before Wednesday, when he scored 18.

In addition to missing almost half the season because of his suspension, Jackson also didn't expect to be making a playoff push without Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest.

"My first two, three games back, I tried to make up for those 30 games with two, three plays," Jackson said. "That's probably why I played so poorly coming back.

"My role has changed so much this year: having to score a lot, having to guard the best guy, coming off the bench, starting. It's situations I've been through before, it took a little time."

Jackson, who started for the Spurs during their 2002-03 championship season, said he heard from some of his former teammates during his 30-game suspension.

"Everybody calls and wants to know what happened," Jackson said, smiling. "They didn't care how I was. They just wanted to know what went on. They wanted to make sure I was straight."

Das Texan
03-24-2005, 01:25 AM
well shit.

the news just keeps getting worser.

slayermin
03-24-2005, 02:19 AM
"The swelling has gone down a little bit from the beginning, but it's still pretty big."

I guess it's bad. Man, that sux.

xcoriate
03-24-2005, 06:46 AM
Hey Kori Devin will almost certainly end up on the IR now, is there any word on LJIII as to me is the most viable option at this point...

Has his personal injuries cleared up enough for him to play yet. I remmeber a few weeks ago he was allowed to start training again.