APG 1.9
EFF + 22.12

Born: Jun 12, 1976
Height: 6-9 / 2,06
Weight: 235 lbs. / 106,6 kg.
College: North Carolina
Years Pro: 10

----------------------------------------

While I couldn't lobby too hard for a trade for Jamison over Vince Carter, I believe it's quite a realistic target for the Spurs.

Why would the Wizards be interested in dealing Jamison for expirings with the bonus of partially guaranteed contract money clawbacks (Oberto + Bowen + either KT/Bonner/Mason works)?

The Wizards have a high payroll, and Antawn Jamison has another 3 years at a guaranteed $40 million dollars. He's not a young player, he's actually 6 months older than Vince Carter and has more career games played (regular season + playoffs). He's 33 at the start of camp and has averaged about 38 minutes a game since the age of 30, he's due to be breaking down. Moving him to the Spurs could realistically save the Wizards about $31-32 million dollars, possibly even more with the luxury tax implications. And I believe the Wizards would rather keep Butler over Jamison, who's younger and cheaper.

Why for the Spurs? After all he's older than Vince, owed more in guaranteed money over the life of his contract, and doesn't block shots.

But he's an athletic, mobile big who is a competant rebounder. He's a willing role-player, even came off the bench for Dallas, no doubt a big plus with Pop. He has 3 point range and can space the floor with Duncan. He's not a particularly good 3 point shooter, but he puts the shots up anyway averaging 4.5 attempts per game the last 3 seasons.

timvp
05-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Good idea but the main problem is that Bonner is a much better defender. You put Duncan and Jamison in the front court and suddenly the Spurs would struggle to be a top ten defensive team in the league.

Now if you trade for him, start Manu and then use Jamison off the bench for scoring ... that'd make sense. But the Spurs would need to somehow get their hands on a defensive big with size to make it work.

exstatic
05-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Jamison doesn't fix anything that went wrong against Dallas.

Meh.

ChumpDumper
05-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Jamison doesn't fix anything that went wrong against Dallas.

Meh.Well, one or the problems against Dallas was no one but Parker and Duncan could score.

Defensively he does nothing of course, but to me playing him and Duncan would be like going small. We do it anyway and Jamison could actually score and rebound better than the guards we usually play in his position.

He wouldn't be the answer but maybe part of an answer. Ultimately it would depend on the price.

tp2021
05-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Ultimately it would depend on the price.

Welcome to Spurs basketball. :downspin:

objective
05-03-2009, 11:02 PM
It would be a steep price.

09/10 = $ 11.64 million

10/11 = $ 13.36 million

11/12 = $ 15.08 million

ChumpDumper
05-03-2009, 11:13 PM
So basically, no.

timvp
05-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah, it's a very plausible idea but it doesn't look like the right way to spend the money. He's not only a worse defender than Bonner, I'd also guess he'd also be a worse rebounder than than Bonner in the Spurs system. Especially once you account for his age.

His scoring would be nice but the Spurs need a better fit if they are going to be on the hook for all that money.

objective
05-04-2009, 01:06 AM
I'd disagree that he'd be a worse rebounder than Bonner in the Spurs system, but other than that I don't see the benefits of getting him due to age and mileage in relation to his salary.

However, in this situation the Spurs might be able to come away with even more, maybe a future draft pick.

The Wizards, if they stay with the #2 pick and Mike James picks up his PO, will have a 2010 payroll of about 80.5 million. That's a huge financial hit, they might get desperate come draft time. If not with the Spurs, someone else could serve as a salary dumpster.

timvp
05-04-2009, 01:23 AM
I'd disagree that he'd be a worse rebounder than Bonner in the Spurs system

I think there rebounding numbers would be really similar and I'd give the slight edge to Bonner. Last season, Jamison averaged 6.1 defensive rebounds per 36 minutes while Bonner averaged 5.4 defensive rebounds per 36 minutes. Factor in the slower pace, the fact that the Spurs were the best defensive rebounding team in the league while the Wizards were one of the worst and there's no way Jamison's rebounding numbers wouldn't come down. Add in his natural decline due to age and I'd predict something around 5.2 to 5.5 defensive rebounds per 36 minutes.

Kurt Thomas, for example, lost 25% of his defensive rebounding numbers instantly when he came from a faster paced team that couldn't rebound.

objective
05-04-2009, 01:49 AM
I think there rebounding numbers would be really similar and I'd give the slight edge to Bonner. Last season, Jamison averaged 6.1 defensive rebounds per 36 minutes while Bonner averaged 5.4 defensive rebounds per 36 minutes. Factor in the slower pace, the fact that the Spurs were the best defensive rebounding team in the league while the Wizards were one of the worst and there's no way Jamison's rebounding numbers wouldn't come down. Add in his natural decline due to age and I'd predict something around 5.2 to 5.5 defensive rebounds per 36 minutes.

Kurt Thomas, for example, lost 25% of his defensive rebounding numbers instantly when he came from a faster paced team that couldn't rebound.

I'm sure Jamison's rebounding numbers would go down.

But looking at his last playoff performance compared to Bonner's last playoff performance :

07/08 Jamison : DR % of 26.3%, TR % of 17.7%

08/09 Bonner : DR % of 12.8%, TR % of 9.7%

numbers per 36 in the playoffs

07/08 Jamison : DR - 8.0 per 36, TR of 10.9 per 36

08/09 Bonner : DR - 3.6 per 36, TR of 5.76 per 36

-----

Granted, that was a great rebounding series for Jamison, and his scoring was down compared to his previous playoff series, maybe due to the work he had to put into the boards, I don't know.

And it was last year, no doubt Jamison will be declining at some point.

But where it counts, in the playoffs, even with the Spurs and next to Tim Duncan, I am still very confindent that Jamison would be a better rebounder than Bonner.

TheSpursFNRule
05-04-2009, 01:53 AM
Guys Jamison might not be the best fit. But come on he's a hell of a lot more athletic than bonner... and better at rebounding and defense than matt freakin bonner. Lets not get out of hand.

timvp
05-04-2009, 02:00 AM
I'm sure Jamison's rebounding numbers would go down.

But looking at his last playoff performance compared to Bonner's last playoff performance :

07/08 Jamison : DR % of 26.3%, TR % of 17.7%

08/09 Bonner : DR % of 12.8%, TR % of 9.7%

numbers per 36 in the playoffs

07/08 Jamison : DR - 8.0 per 36, TR of 10.9 per 36

08/09 Bonner : DR - 3.6 per 36, TR of 5.76 per 36

-----

Granted, that was a great rebounding series for Jamison, and his scoring was down compared to his previous playoff series, maybe due to the work he had to put into the boards, I don't know.

And it was last year, no doubt Jamison will be declining at some point.

But where it counts, in the playoffs, even with the Spurs and next to Tim Duncan, I am still very confindent that Jamison would be a better rebounder than Bonner.

That's some small sample sizes to be comparing. Five games for Bonner to six games for Jamison. :)

Anyways, it doesn't matter much considering that the Spurs probably wouldn't do the trade in a straight salary dump. I think Jamison would drop down to the 5.2 to 5.5 mark, you said he'd come down from 6.1, so I'm guessing our disagreement isn't too far apart.

objective
05-04-2009, 02:08 AM
lol, I know the sample sizes are small, but with the playoffs, that's the way it goes. We all know there's players who can play well in the regular season and put up decent numbers but when the playoffs come and it's primetime then it all turns into choke time.

My argument is that Jamison's number may come down, especially in the regular season, but he's not a playoffs invisible man like Bonner. Series averages the last 3 cracks he got of 17 & 12, 32 & 10, and 19 & 7 speak for themselves.

He's overpaid definately. I don't even advocate for the Spurs to trade for him if they're willing to bite the luxury tax bullet. I'd rather Carter or probably someone else. But when I write that I believe he'd be a better rebounder than Bonner, especially in the playoffs, I remain highly confident.

timvp
05-04-2009, 02:58 AM
lol, I know the sample sizes are small, but with the playoffs, that's the way it goes. We all know there's players who can play well in the regular season and put up decent numbers but when the playoffs come and it's primetime then it all turns into choke time.

My argument is that Jamison's number may come down, especially in the regular season, but he's not a playoffs invisible man like Bonner. Series averages the last 3 cracks he got of 17 & 12, 32 & 10, and 19 & 7 speak for themselves. Bonner is a choker, true. But Jamison isn't exactly Larry Bird. That 32 and 10 you bolded was while getting swept by a team the Spurs later swept :lol

In his longest run in the playoffs, he actually rebounded worse that Bonner did in these past playoffs. And Bonner literally couldn't have rebounded worse if he tried. He was just grabbing the rebounds that happened to land in his hands. That Jamison's longest run in the playoffs ended with him having sub-Bonner rebounding numbers . . . that's not the greatest of signs regarding his rebounding.

The one time he's gotten to the second round in his career, he averaged 2.7 defensive rebounds per 36 minutes :wow

That's worse than the worst rebounding effort on the Spurs this season. I didn't know it was physically possible for a bigman to rebound that little. To compare, Parker averaged 3.9 defensive rebounds per 36 minutes against the Mavs. Bruce Bowen 4.2. Matt Bonner 3.6. Michael Finley 3.0.

If the biggest series of your life comes out with you pulling down less defensive rebounds per minute than Michael F'n Finley ... and you're a bigman, I don't apologize for questioning your rebounding capabilities. Even in relation to Matt Bonner :shootme

Obstructed_View
05-04-2009, 03:41 AM
The Spurs already had a scoring forward who can't play defense, and he got a DNP-CD in the last game of the season. If I have to choose between the two, I'll take the one who can also rebound and is five years younger.

yavozerb
02-24-2012, 10:24 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2012/02/cleveland_cavaliers_antawn_jam_2.html

Jamison, who has an expiring contract, and point guard Ramon Sessions are the two players most rumored to be dealt from the rebuilding franchise. There's also speculation that Jamison could be bought out if a suitor isn't found. But with the Cavs in playoff contention and the veteran performing so well, management might be compelled to keep him. "Honestly, deep down inside, I don't want to go anywhere, and I don't feel like I'm going anywhere," Jamison said. "I enjoy playing with these guys. These guys are very receptive to what I tell them and what I do on the court." Cleveland Plain Dealer

:toast

Mel_13
02-24-2012, 10:32 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2012/02/cleveland_cavaliers_antawn_jam_2.html

Jamison, who has an expiring contract, and point guard Ramon Sessions are the two players most rumored to be dealt from the rebuilding franchise. There's also speculation that Jamison could be bought out if a suitor isn't found. But with the Cavs in playoff contention and the veteran performing so well, management might be compelled to keep him. "Honestly, deep down inside, I don't want to go anywhere, and I don't feel like I'm going anywhere," Jamison said. "I enjoy playing with these guys. These guys are very receptive to what I tell them and what I do on the court." Cleveland Plain Dealer

:toast

Need Cleveland to go on a long losing streak and fall out of playoff contention.

mountainballer
02-24-2012, 11:19 AM
till deadline they will face each of their 3 rivals for the PO spot. (BOS, NY, MIL)
so by then they know and before deadline they wouldn't buy him out anyhow.
that said, if they bought him out after deadline, he will join the Heat anyhow.
(Lebron and Antawn are friends, Antawn was one of the few to defend Lebron's choice in public)
and if it's not the Heat, it will be the Lakers.

Mel_13
02-24-2012, 11:24 AM
till deadline they will face each of their 3 rivals for the PO spot. (BOS, NY, MIL)
(Lebron and Antawn are friends, Antawn was one of the few to defend Lebron's choice in public)

:depressed

back to hoping for buyout candidates that play summer basketball with Tony.

mountainballer
02-24-2012, 11:29 AM
yup.

yavozerb
02-24-2012, 03:01 PM

maybe, maybe not he goes to the heat if bought out...Would like the spurs to get a chance to put him next to TD. Much better fit next to TD than Bosh, thats a no brainer, esp. if you would be playing for a contract.